Type keyword(s) to search

Married With Children - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My favorite all-time episode (two episodes, really) is when the Bundys go on vacation in Dumpwater, FL. The serial killer also being "The Man Who Met Andy Griffith" still cracks me up

I always judge the quality of the episodes by how bright Peggy's hair is

• Love 2

My favorite, from "He Thought He Could" before the show became a complete cartoon of itself:

"So you think I'm a loser? Just because I have a stinking job that I hate, a family that doesn't respect me, a whole city that curses the day I was born? Well, that may mean loser to you, but let me tell you something. Every morning when I wake up, I know it's not going to get any better until I go back to sleep again. So I get up, have my watered-down Tang and still-frozen Pop Tart, get in my car with no upholstery, no gas, and six more payments to fight traffic just for the privilege of putting cheap shoes on the cloven hooves of people like you. I'll never play football like I thought I would. I'll never know the touch of a beautiful woman. And I'll never again know the joy of driving without a bag on my head. But I'm not a loser. 'Cause, despite it all, me and every other guy who'll never be what he wanted to be are still out there being what we don't want to be forty hours a week for life. And the fact that I haven't put a gun in my mouth, you pudding of a woman, makes me a winner.

• Love 6

Speaking of No Ma'am, those were the funniest episodes! I remember working a Brazilian festival for my friend and Griff came to her table and bought something from me. It took a lot to not say anything to him about the show. He looked like he didn't want to be discovered so I didn't let on.

• Love 1

Just watched a first season ep. and realized that Peg/KS breasts, which are spoken of so fondly in later seasons, are of the silicone variety. Funny because it flies in the face of the characters' economic status. Just like Roseanne's ever changing face truly made no sense given that the Connors often couldn't pay their bills (only less so because it was a single, up until now for me imperceptible surgery versus a series of them).

• Love 1

Remember the audience cheering all the time or going "whoooo" and wolf whistling?? Lol

In some ways I miss live studio audiences in sitcoms. I am not talking about the canned laughs you get on some shows now but more authentic stuff like that. 

It was funny a few years ago I rented some MWC dvds. It was amazing how many episodes take place entirely on the first floor of the Bundy's house and in real time. It was like watching a play on TV. 

• Love 3

I just watched my favorite Married with Children Christmas episode "You Better Watch Out" aka Santa Corpse.  I still remember when that first aired and them putting a disclaimer on it, which I think they still do.  Just a funny as hell episode from start to finish and another example of them doing an entire episode on the first floor of the Bundy home.  A bunch of great lines and only MWC could do a show that callous.  A lot of shows tried but MWC always made it look convincing and funny.

• Love 5

TBS airs several episodes of Married With Children in the mornings, and I've come to realize that I don't really like the show too much after Steve leaves Marcy. I love the early episodes when Al and Peg clearly show that they love each other and definitely before Kelly became a dullard. The bigger and redder Peggy's hair gets, the worse the episode

It's a Bundyful Life might be the more famous of their Christmas episodes (and it's a really good one) but my favorite is still You Better Watch Out.  I still love to watch that every year during the holidays.

spaceytraci1208

I've come to realize that I don't really like the show too much after Steve leaves Marcy. I love the early episodes when Al and Peg clearly show that they love each other and definitely before Kelly became a dullard. The bigger and redder Peggy's hair gets, the worse the episode

I've come to feel the same way.  Weird, because I used to prefer the episodes with Marcy and Jefferson Darcy but now I really appreciate what David Garrison brought to the show as Steve.  His reactions to Al are hilarious, I especially like when he would shake his head like "I did not just hear that". 

This is hands down one of my top 3 favorite t.v. shows of all time.  I especially like seasons 1-3.  If I had to choose my favorite episode, it would be the show where Al and Peg steal Steve and Marcy's identities to be on a game show for newlyweds.  I never get tired of it.  I love towards the end when Al marches over to the electric chair, and proclaims, "I welcome death".

A close second favorite episode is "The Camping Trip".  I love love love that ep.  I love when after Kelly snarkily replies, "I didn't ask to be born" Al looks at his wife and says, "Peg?", Peg replies, "Well it's her time of the month Al" and Al says all exasperated, "What the hell'd we bring her for then?!!!"

Same episode, after discovering all of the women are on their periods, Steve tells Al they need to show the women compassion and walks over to Marcy (who's holding an ice pack to her forehead, obviously not feeling well) and says, "Marcy?  Let's talk.", and she goes, "Fine.  Let's talk about 14 months ago when I wanted to see that movie and you were too tired.  And about that time you wore that gray sweater.  I hate that sweater.  I. hate. you. Steve.  Everything about you.  Every breath you take.  Every move you make.  You sir STINK!  I feel sooo bloated and sooo ugly.  See how mean he is to me Peg?"  Cue Marcy, Peg, and Kelly giving Steve the look of death.  Ok, now I have to go watch the episode in it's entirety lol.

• Love 3
(edited)

My favorite episode is 976-SHOE. Unfortunately that's the very start of writing Steve off the show, and I very much think the show was better in the Steve years than the Jefferson ones, but I just love how pathetic Al was in it. It was the commercials for his shoe hotline that did it for me and each one getting more and more desperate as no one calls.

I was just wondering if anyone happens to know the episode where there's this scene with Al and Kelly on the couch. She keeps saying "Daddy?" and he keeps saying "What?" and then she keeps saying she forgets so she tells Al not to say "What?" next time. So again she says "Daddy?" but this time Al doesn't say anything. But instead of saying whatever she had to say, she just keeps saying "Daddy?" until he finally caves and yells "WHAT?" but then she forgets again. I don't remember anything that happened in that episode, I only remember the scene.

Edited by Winter Rose
On 8/9/2014 at 3:01 PM, spaceytraci1208 said:

My favorite all-time episode (two episodes, really) is when the Bundys go on vacation in Dumpwater, FL. The serial killer also being "The Man Who Met Andy Griffith" still cracks me up

I always judge the quality of the episodes by how bright Peggy's hair is

That would be the episode "Poppy's By the Tree". That's one of my favorite episodes too. A lot of the two-part episodes tend to be my favorite, such as "Ship Happens", where the Bundys and D'Arcys go on a cruise. I guess I like the episodes where it mostly takes place outside the Bundy house.

On 3/9/2016 at 0:48 PM, Winter Rose said:

I was just wondering if anyone happens to know the episode where there's this scene with Al and Kelly on the couch. She keeps saying "Daddy?" and he keeps saying "What?" and then she keeps saying she forgets so she tells Al not to say "What?" next time. So again she says "Daddy?" but this time Al doesn't say anything. But instead of saying whatever she had to say, she just keeps saying "Daddy?" until he finally caves and yells "WHAT?" but then she forgets again. I don't remember anything that happened in that episode, I only remember the scene.

That's from Season 7's Christmas episode, aptly titled, 'Christmas.'

The one thing this show totally lacked were Peg & Bud 'A' stories.

Every other character combo was explored but Peg and Bud, over the span of 10 years, essentially got nothing.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 1
On 11/19/2016 at 8:54 AM, spaceytraci1208 said:

I'm definitely #TeamSteve ...but I think the show was just better overall during those years. By the time they brought in Jefferson, the show was going in a different, more cartoonish direction. So Jefferson was a good fit for the show at that stage. 

Not to mention, by the time Jefferson came around, the studio audience have just became too intrusive, with long howls and claps anytime any of the characters entered the scene. and the laughing being more annoying than ever.

• Love 1

Wondering if anyone can answer my question.

Wasn't Marcy pregnant at the same time as Peggy?  I could've sworn there were episodes when they were both heavily pregnant at the same time.  Peggy had Seven, but I don't remember them every mentioning Marcy's baby.

Seven wasn't Peggy's bio son. He was the child of one of her cousins and his wife, who the Bundys informally adopted, after his parents abandoned him during a visit.

However, Peggy and Marcy were indeed pregnant at the same time, during the previous season, but when Katey Sagal lost her baby in real life, MWC's writers accommodated her tragic real life situation by retconning both women's pregnancies via a nightmare dream scenario of Al's at the end of an episode.

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, Dee said:

Seven wasn't Peggy's bio son. He was the child of one of her cousins and his wife, who the Bundys informally adopted, after his parents abandoned him during a visit.

However, Peggy and Marcy were indeed pregnant at the same time, during the previous season, but when Katey Sagal lost her baby in real life, MWC's writers accommodated her tragic real life situation by retconning both women's pregnancies via a nightmare dream scenario of Al's at the end of an episode.

Thank you for the explanation.  I can't believe I missed those episodes.  I grew up watching this show with my family and still watch the re-runs in the morning sometime, don't know how I could've missed them.

On 4/20/2017 at 4:19 PM, DkNNy79 said:

Peggy and Marcy were indeed pregnant at the same time, during the previous season, but when Katey Sagal lost her baby in real life, MWC's writers accommodated her tragic real life situation by retconning both women's pregnancies via a nightmare dream scenario of Al's at the end of an episode.

What was the eppy in which Al had the nightmare?  Always wondered.

That two-parter of them being pregnant was a classic though, from the kids beating up Al for knocking Peg up to Marcy's 'crying' to 'RUB MY BELLY!'

(edited)

Out of boredom at as laziness I have been watching this on Logo and it cycles back to the early seasons and I noticed how much I liked the early seasons.   It’s not that I like Steve better then Jefferson (although I kinda do) it’s that the show had a different feel about it in the early seasons.   It was.....less cruel.   Don’t get me wrong this show was always.   “Not the Huxtables”. But it had a logic to it in the early seasons.  Peg or the kids would nag about wanting something.   Al would say no.   They would make his life miserable.  Al would eventually relent and get it for them.   They would be ungrateful.   Al would sigh and go on with his miserable life.    But you would get the feeling that Al actually did love Peg and that Peg loved Al.    Despite the fact that they hated each other as well.

Later  seasons removed the live from the equation almost completely.  It became almost completely about tearing down all the characters.   Peg was a shrew.  Al was an incompetent Misogynist.   Kelly was a pretty idiot.  Bud was a creepy troll.   Marcy was a man hating feminist and Jefferson was useless Gigolo.   

The weird charm disappeared.   In its place was cruelty that got less funny as time went on.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 2
On 7/26/2020 at 1:56 PM, Chaos Theory said:

Out of boredom at as laziness I have been watching this on Logo and it cycles back to the early seasons and I noticed how much I liked the early seasons.   It’s not that I like Steve better then Jefferson (although I kinda do) it’s that the show had a different feel about it in the early seasons.   It was.....less cruel.   Don’t get me wrong this show was always.   “Not the Huxtables”. But it had a logic to it in the early seasons.  Peg or the kids would nag about wanting something.   Al would say no.   They would make his life miserable.  Al would eventually relent and get it for them.   They would be ungrateful.   Al would sigh and go on with his miserable life.    But you would get the feeling that Al actually did love Peg and that Peg loved Al.    Despite the fact that they hated each other as well.

Later  seasons removed the live from the equation almost completely.  It became almost completely about tearing down all the characters.   Peg was a shrew.  Al was an incompetent Misogynist.   Kelly was a pretty idiot.  Bud was a creepy troll.   Marcy was a man hating feminist and Jefferson was useless Gigolo.   

The weird charm disappeared.   In its place was cruelty that got less funny as time went on.

Yeah I get what are you saying. I also the transitions to more of an extreme around season 7. I mean, Marcie I think went way, way too far. I mean I get she became more annoyed with Al being her neighbor so long and Steve leaving really embittered her. HOWEVER... during that time, her bank would have been questioning her "women's movements" back then. In fact, Marcie's group were much worst than No Mame ever did. 

Edited by readster
spelling errors.