Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E11: On The Arm

wlk68
  • Start Topic

Episode summary:

Danny pursues a con artist pretending to be the legendary singer Jimmy Buffett; Frank investigates an impressive police captain who is using her badge to get free wares from local stores.

I'm getting tired of all the stunt casting. Last week it was Lyle Lovett and this week it's Jimmy Buffett. The story was lame and really didn't need to be there. 

The best thing about Erin's story was Garrett. I loved it when he said that Frank doesn't play politics. That was what he had Garrett for. 

They really need for Eddie and Jamie to be in different precincts. I don't always like Eddie but this week I felt bad for her. She was put in a very difficult spot.

Happy to see that Jamie is looking to become a lieutenant. 

Once again, Frank made the right call. The captain's heart is definitely in the right place but she can't use her uniform to get free stuff, even if it's for a worthy cause.

The dinner conversation about first concerts was cute. (My first concert was U2, The Unforgettable Fire tour - 1985.)    

• Love 5
4 hours ago, wlk68 said:

The best thing about Erin's story was Garrett. I loved it when he said that Frank doesn't play politics. That was what he had Garrett for. 

Can't wait until they invoke the "sting" and shove it up the pompous mayor's (Dylan Walsh) ass.

4 hours ago, wlk68 said:

I'm getting tired of all the stunt casting. Last week it was Lyle Lovett and this week it's Jimmy Buffett. The story was lame and really didn't need to be there.

Very lame, and why would Det. Danny ever think of picking up a tab for a celeb? Also, that whole scene with the birthday dinner for Baez and the conversation about Buffet was equally lame.

And as much as I don't like Eddy, she should not be under the supervision of her husband. When I worked in the private sector this was a rule that was strictly adhered to. 

• Love 3

so did jamie start behaving like a dick hoping to catch the imposter? or was he just behaving like a dick for no apparent reason and catching the imposter was just dumb luck? his behavior just seemed way out of character — and i didn’t get the impression that it was a means to an end (catching the guy). have to say,  that ovation at the end made me want to puke!

• Love 5
2 hours ago, DavidWeis1 said:

What is it with Selleck? Can he not walk? (Not to be an ass, just curious.)

It’s been noticed and talked about before. He’s had at least one hip replacement I believe

That captain was a pompous ass, but I’m glad she finally got real to Frank and I’m glad they worked it out

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, DanaK said:

That captain was a pompous ass,

anyone who opposes any of the reagans is always presented as a pompous ass — one of the things that has always bugged me most about this show — no complexity, much less nuance. 

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, wonderwoman said:

so did jamie start behaving like a dick hoping to catch the imposter? or was he just behaving like a dick for no apparent reason and catching the imposter was just dumb luck? his behavior just seemed way out of character — and i didn’t get the impression that it was a means to an end (catching the guy). have to say,  that ovation at the end made me want to puke!

I am convinced there was a deleted scene in this episode. Maybe it was written and not filmed, or filmed but cut for time, but I am absolutely sure it exists. Jamie suddenly enforcing the old rule came out nowhere. They needed to set this up and give Jamie a reason for doing it. There are many possibilities that would have worked. 

Garrett and Anthony are both Regean whisperers. They are outside the family, but understand what makes its members tick. I now want to see Garrett and Anthony getting drinks and comparing notes. "How do you react when Frank does___/ Does Erin do this too" type of stuff. It also occurs to me that Jamie doesn't have one. Eddie doesn't count. (Danny has Baez).  

Eddie working as a direct report to her husband is awful for so many reasons. We've already seen why it doesn't work, and at this point it just feels like a larger disaster waiting to happen.  

I loved finding out what everyone at the dinner table's first concert was. It seemed pretty true to who they were. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, preeya said:

Very lame, and why would Det. Danny ever think of picking up a tab for a celeb? Also, that whole scene with the birthday dinner for Baez and the conversation about Buffet was equally lame.

Exactly. Jimmy Buffett is a millionaire. He doesn't need anyone to pick up his tab. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

No, he’s invoking a seldom used rule to buff up his bid to get promoted to lieutenant. He had a talk with his CO before informing his officers of the change.

• Love 1

Eddie is supposed to be taking the sergeant’s test. What happened with that plot?  
I thought that they were working different shifts so as to at least wink at eliminating the Jamie/Eddie conflict of interest. Now they have been on the same shift. 

Eddie cared more about being popular than following the rule. She needs to not be working where Jamie works.

Baez and Danny looked to be on a date at first. Whole Jimmy Buffett plot was odd, maybe to promote the new Margaritaville hotel in Manhattan. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, wonderwoman said:

2 hours ago, Msample said:

No, he’s invoking a seldom used rule to buff up his bid to get promoted to lieutenant. He had a talk with his CO before informing his officers of the change.

Jamie explained it at the end.  There was a fake NYPD officer gaining access and stealing guns from the locker rooms.  That fake cop was caught because he obviously didn't know about the "salute" rule.

I'm guessing that they didn't disclose that when he met with his CO because they didn't want us to know and  wanted the men to complain.    If Jamie had told his CO then  our reaction would have been different.

Edited by AnnA
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Artsda said:

Baez and Danny looked to be on a date at first. Whole Jimmy Buffett plot was odd, maybe to promote the new Margaritaville hotel in Manhattan. 

At first glance, it may have looked like a date, but they explained quickly and early in the scene it was not a romantic date. If the goal of the Jimmy Buffett plot was to promote the new Margaritaville hotel in the area, they should have mentioned the hotel in the episode. Have the real Jimmy Buffett say something like "I'm in town to check in on the new Margaritaville hotel."

• Love 2
20 hours ago, wlk68 said:

Once again, Frank made the right call. The captain's heart is definitely in the right place but she can't use her uniform to get free stuff, even if it's for a worthy cause.

Yeah, but this wink-wink about a discount, is that any less strong-armed? what frank should have said was, let's organize something and fund it, so it's all above-board.  i love Regina, but it feels like her talents were left wanting here.  Seems to me a convoluted story line with a not-great resolution.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, jabRI said:

Yeah, but this wink-wink about a discount, is that any less strong-armed? what frank should have said was, let's organize something and fund it, so it's all above-board.  i love Regina, but it feels like her talents were left wanting here.  Seems to me a convoluted story line with a not-great resolution.

Fair point. Agreed.

• Love 1

I thought the whole Jimmy Buffet storyline was unnecessary.  I agree with the others about Eddie and Jamie working in the same place doesn’t make any sense.  It reminds me of when cops on tv investigate and question a suspect when they or a family member is the victim of the crime.  I thought they could have come up with a better storyline for the police captain.  On a side note, does the actress that played the Captain over-enunciate her words or something? I think she’s a fine actress, that I’ve seen in other roles, so I don’t think it’s an acting style (i.e. hammy William Shatner) but I’m always distracted by the way she speaks. 

I liked the Jimmy Buffet angle, though I, too, wondered why Danny would pay a rich man's tab. But then it was the only way he knew to show his appreciation for the music (besides a thank you), and he probably assumed since the guy was sitting at the bar, it would only be for a couple of drinks. I enjoyed seeing Danny getting duped.

I liked this episode more than most others. No guns pulled, no one chased down in the streets. An episode about issues, not violent crime. I was chagrined to see yet another minority painted as being unreasonable. But this is CBS and a Friday night show. Play to the demographics. The resolution could have come without the hearing, though. I didn't think it was necessary for the Captain to go into being a black woman. The problems she described were totally universal.

• Love 2

Danny was so happy that he had met Jimmy Buffett. Better that he live with that memory than have his bubble bursted.  I wouldn’t have done that.  What was the harm? Worked out, but she didn’t know that would happen. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I liked the Jimmy Buffet plot; I think Danny bought the dinner for bragging rights "I once bought Jimmy Buffet dinner when I saw him at this bar".  Fun story/memory for later.  But what I liked more was the guy running circles around Danny - the Detective that plows over everyone try's to arrest the guy and instead gets let me show you this paper, loophole, loophole, loophole then he walks away smiling and Danny just stands there.  It may have been a throw away time waste story but it still had me laughing so much.  Although to be fair the concert discussion at dinner had me laughing more, that was pretty good too.

• Love 2

"Everything you do reflects on me because we're married and work out of the same station, so the answer is to...just keep on working together out of the same station." Show, why do you keep drawing attention to your own glaring flaws?

• Love 4
On 1/15/2022 at 5:19 PM, Sarah 103 said:

I am convinced there was a deleted scene in this episode. Maybe it was written and not filmed, or filmed but cut for time, but I am absolutely sure it exists. Jamie suddenly enforcing the old rule came out nowhere. They needed to set this up and give Jamie a reason for doing it. There are many possibilities that would have worked. 

There were a couple of references by patrol officers to some award or citation that Jamie wanted the precinct to get, but they were quick mentions during their griping sessions. 

15 hours ago, mythoughtis said:
There were a couple of references by patrol officers to some award or citation that Jamie wanted the precinct to get, but they were quick mentions during their griping sessions. 

I totally missed that. Making that clearer to the audience/viewer would have been a huge help and would have made the episode make more sense. 

• Love 1
On 1/15/2022 at 5:08 PM, preeya said:

And as much as I don't like Eddy, she should not be under the supervision of her husband.

Also, Eddie DOES trust Jamie. She's become the face of all the other cops when he pulls a "leadership" move. If he has a reason for having a salute at the desk, she probably would accept that he has a reason, and if people bitch at her, say: take it up with HIM. But they won't even let that kind of natural character development occur.

Yes, they should be in different precincts, or he should not be her direct supervisor.

• Love 1
On 1/17/2022 at 10:35 PM, mythoughtis said:

I could've sworn Jamie's captain griped at him about how now that he knew Jamie was prepping for the lieutenant's exam, it wasn't surprising that Jamie would dig up something like this and want to implement it. 

21 hours ago, kwnyc said:

Yes, they should be in different precincts, or he should not be her direct supervisor.

IIRC, they were on separate shifts so that he wasn't her supervisor, but it looks like the writers aren't bothering with that anymore.   

7 hours ago, wlk68 said:

I could've sworn Jamie's captain griped at him about how now that he knew Jamie was prepping for the lieutenant's exam, it wasn't surprising that Jamie would dig up something like this and want to implement it. 

The captain did say that.  I'm pretty sure Jamie had heard about the impersonator infiltrating the precincts and he thought enforcing an obscure rule would be a quick way to ferret out anybody that wasn't supposed to be in the 2-9.  If he had told everybody why he was doing it, it may not have worked because the impersonator may have an helper on the inside.  The story could have been fleshed out better, the show made it look really easy to walk into a police station and pretend to be an officer.  Wouldn't the on duty sergeant/lieutenant/captain know to expect new officers in advance?  Plus they do roll call, right?  The way it was portrayed was really farfetched.

Edited by Magnumfangirl
  • Love 2
On 1/17/2022 at 4:17 PM, Brian Cronin said:

Also, I agree that the Danny/Diaz date was not meant to be romantic, but that just made him going on about how beautiful she looked seem really out of place. 

This only gave fuel to the fans who want Danny and Baez to pair up.  Which after Eddie and Jamie, is a non starter. 

• Love 1

I wish they would have NOT chosen a black actress for this role. WOC are the most oppressed class, and we have had now 2 unlikable black characters this season (DA and that bizarre girl wanting to work 1PP) now they cast another black woman in a negative role. Not cool.

The Jimmy Buffet story line was wholesome content I do not mind.

The cyber story  is fun.

LOVED THE ENDING!!! Loved that the hottie led the clap, and I wish him and Janko would get it on, he is so hot compared to Lamie Jamie. More hot Janko partner PLEASE!!!!

Edited by UnikornRainbowz