Type keyword(s) to search

The Process: Auditions, Training Camp and Squad

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, vanillagum said:

And other people think differently, so other people can express that as well lmao

Also, I wanted a non-white point for the first time since god knows when, so yeah...my bad

Absolutely others can express their own opinions. My response was part of a thread, not just randomly saying people can’t say what they want. 

As far as non-white, there’s no winning that conversation so I’ll just see myself out. 

19 minutes ago, vanillagum said:

Also, I wanted a non-white point for the first time since god knows when, so yeah...my bad

Not your bad.  It's an excellent observation and yes, the team is long overdue for a POC point.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
  • Love 16
8 minutes ago, go4luca said:

Not your bad.  It's an excellent observation and yes, the team is long overdue for a POC point.

Thanks <3 I love Ashlee so much. I love that she came in as an underdog with way less training than the other women, but she still kills it, because she has natural talent and a special pop that can't be taught. That's why so many people are vocal about wanting her as point...she just has it. She would be an incredible point. 

Doesn't help that I find Caroline incredibly boring

• Love 17
2 hours ago, vanillagum said:

And other people think differently, so other people can express that as well lmao

There is the elephant in the room. Selection should be based purely on a number of pre-determined criteria such as leadership skills, technique, seniority etc. but skin colour shouldn't be one of them.

• Fire 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, Weeklydcc said:

When I saw her crying in the locker room, I thought maybe she was the surprise point or second point.  Anyway, many girls are deserving.  I do think Ashlee would shine if she was front and center, but let's see what Caroline and Kelcey bring.

I thought it was because it's her final year as a DCC and got emotional over her last locker room reveal. 

Idk if I ever spoke about my thoughts on the 5 year term limit, Long story short, I don't like it. If a girl wants to be a DCC forever, let her be a DCC forever. And yes that includes VK (although I will not be happy about it lol)

As long as they go through the audition process like the rest of the girls, then people should decide when they want to retire. 

And if that doesn't work, then they should do a 10 year term limit, instead of 5 (cause no DCC EVER has done 10 years, the longest has been 8) 

Edited by TheGenuineBeauty
  • Like 3
  • Love 4
19 minutes ago, PomPomPom said:

There is the elephant in the room. Selection should be based purely on a number of pre-determined criteria such as leadership skills, technique, seniority etc. but skin colour shouldn't be one of them.

IF they are deserving, then I would seriously hope they are considered.  That's all I'm saying or referencing in my post above.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
57 minutes ago, PomPomPom said:

Aww, @PomPomPom I like your new avatar photo!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, cgloss said:

I thought that was bizarre as well. It's a weird teaser amid a weird year -- first the buckles, now the locker room. I know Kelli has a marketing background, but doesn't the DCC have a separate marketing director?

I think it is because TPTB want to be able to pitch whatever they have filmed right now to Netflix/Hulu/Disney+etc. Right now one of there big problems with putting out long form content like the show is that the "rights" and "concepts" the show can legal be called into question for a copy right case. Look at the MTT tiktok account! The network is able to repost clips from the past 16 seasons of the show because it is all edited footage that MTV/Paramount owns. It has MILLIONS of views and years of the show existing so they can/will continue to make money from past seasons. TPTP probably still get *some* money from the show itself but don't have control because it is the network's social media. The network's social media doesn't make a lot a money but it does pull its viewers to watch the show, and with no new season to come *yet* they go back to-you guessed it-the network owned older seasons which makes them some money. The Cowboys can't post that kind of content that was aired on the show because it's "not there IP". So in order to put out content for the fan while still trying to hold out to possibly sign with a Netflix type they have to make weird stutter steps like this.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, TheGenuineBeauty said:

I thought it was because it's her final year as a DCC and got emotional over her last locker room reveal. 

Idk if I ever spoke about my thoughts on the 5 year term limit, Long story short, I don't like it. If a girl wants to be a DCC forever, let her be a DCC forever. And yes that includes VK (although I will not be happy about it lol)

As long as they go through the audition process like the rest of the girls, then people should decide when they want to retire. 

And if that doesn't work, then they should do a 10 year term limit, instead of 5 (cause no DCC EVER has done 10 years, the longest has been 8) 

Kelli and Judy have made it very clear that anyone can be cut for any reason and without giving an explanation. From the first round of auditions to the end of that post season. Plus without the show any argument about why someone got cut would just become a he said, she said.

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, cherryblossom said:

Kelli & Judy’s saying that anyone can be cut without any explanation is DCC’s version of Abby Lee Miller’s Everyone is replaceable!

I thought employment law required a justification for dismissal.

8 minutes ago, PomPomPom said:

I thought employment law required a justification for dismissal.

Is it different because they're contract workers? I didn't think an employer had to justify why they replaced one contractor with another??

I could be wrong though, I don't know anything about what laws Texas has about employment 

8 hours ago, TVaddict2355 said:

I think it is because TPTB want to be able to pitch whatever they have filmed right now to Netflix/Hulu/Disney+etc. Right now one of there big problems with putting out long form content like the show is that the "rights" and "concepts" the show can legal be called into question for a copy right case. Look at the MTT tiktok account! The network is able to repost clips from the past 16 seasons of the show because it is all edited footage that MTV/Paramount owns. It has MILLIONS of views and years of the show existing so they can/will continue to make money from past seasons. TPTP probably still get *some* money from the show itself but don't have control because it is the network's social media. The network's social media doesn't make a lot a money but it does pull its viewers to watch the show, and with no new season to come *yet* they go back to-you guessed it-the network owned older seasons which makes them some money. The Cowboys can't post that kind of content that was aired on the show because it's "not there IP". So in order to put out content for the fan while still trying to hold out to possibly sign with a Netflix type they have to make weird stutter steps like this.

This is a really interesting point that brings up a question for me. Say they get a new network/streaming service to air the show. Would they have to pay to use older footage? I could see that being a con for picking it up. 

• Love 3
16 hours ago, vanillagum said:

I also think Ashlee was far and away the best option for point of the 5 years (though I love me some Kelcey and Jalyn). She just seems to be a more dynamic dancer and looks like she's having fun. From her IG stories, it seemed as though she was heading for retirement, but decided to stay for a shot at point. Maybe Kelli didn't like the implication. Or maybe she didn't think Ashlee had the necessary leadership skills.

That said, Kelli's choices for point seem to be more and more divisive among us fans. There was some rumbling when Holly was picked over Emma and Jacie, and Mia over Jackie Bob, but there's been a lot of pushback over Kashara, Amy, Maddie, Gina and Rachel. For me, I'm not sure what TPTB are looking for in a point anymore. Can't necessarily be reliability because they wouldn't have chosen Amy, who was mistake prone. Can't necessarily be clean, because they wouldn't haven't chosen Kashara, who was dynamic but messy. Can't necessarily be about leadership because she wouldn't have chosen Whitney with her drama. Etc, etc.

I personally would want a reliable and dynamic point over one who's just reliable and clean, but that's me. I also don't care about looks, which obviously was a factor with Rachel being chosen, because anyone can look gorgeous with the right makeup and haircut.

• Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, TVaddict2355 said:

this is great insight...so you're also thinking there's a chance to still have this picked up by a network? I miss the show!

• Love 5
3 hours ago, HitItHarder..BAM said:

Is it different because they're contract workers? I didn't think an employer had to justify why they replaced one contractor with another??

I could be wrong though, I don't know anything about what laws Texas has about employment 

Texas is an at-will employment state. They can fire you for any reason or no reason and don't have to tell you why. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 5
  • Love 5
28 minutes ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

Texas is an at-will employment state. They can fire you for any reason or no reason and don't have to tell you why. 

That's the way it is in KY as well. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, souR77 said:

this is great insight...so you're also thinking there's a chance to still have this picked up by a network? I miss the show!

From what I have heard from several people is that they have cameras rolling close to the what filming was scheduled for the show (auditions, training camp, show group auditions, team outings, etc.) in the hopes to have something to pitch networks like Netflix. And if it doesn't work out for this season at least they have lots of material to put out themselves for their platforms (Instagram, Twitter, Youtube, media for the stadium, print material, etc) I don't know if they are going as far as filming office visits or doing confessionals like before. My understanding is TPTB ideally would want the same structure/tone/format as the old show but with some changes and have more say in the final product. Also someone who has worked with DCC+Paramount/MTV years ago as a 3rd party contractor  told me they hope it get picked up by Netflix and go in a more Cheer TV show route that focuses on the real lives and personalities of the cheerleaders. They said they loved working with the girls but hated to see how water downed the show made them look. They told me about a time the cheerleaders were teaching rookies about what kind of socks to wear in the Lucchese boots. It reminded them of watching ballerina's show how they broke in their pointe shoes to best work for that ballerina's feet. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, pinkandsparkly13 said:

This is correct and unfortunately because it is a dancer/performer job it is highly subjective. This is part of the reason why I suspect Hannah felt the need to speak out about her 2020 cut on Instagram.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, TheGenuineBeauty said:

dk if I ever spoke about my thoughts on the 5 year term limit, Long story short, I don't like it. If a girl wants to be a DCC forever, let her be a DCC forever. And yes that includes VK (although I will not be happy about it lol)

I fully agree! We're talking about a very limited group of girls who actually make it to 5 years and might then even consider a 6th. As long as you like it and are able to perform like everybody else, why not? And it's not necessarily a bad thing: You'd expect they could bring a lot of maturity and experience to the team and maybe some stability. I suddenly had to think of Jinelle retiring and Kelli trying hard to keep her aboard for another year for this. 

Also, the ultimate say on who makes the team lies with Kelli and Judy. If they think 5 years is enough for a particular cheerleader, I'm sure they're able to "gently" nudge her towards the exit (or threaten with a cut during training camp) So why make this rule?

Not sure about the "fresh faces-argument" as I suspect that 80% of the Cowboys fans couldn't care less who is out there as long as they're pretty. Also, a lot of these girls have amassed their own fan base and followers on SM. I was always sad to see vets retire, no matter how many years they did. The same goes for making room for new talent: that's what training camp is for. If a vet gets out-danced by a rookie, then maybe it's time to go.

• Love 11
On 8/7/2022 at 4:34 PM, ClassicPegg said:

Pinky ring, 5 year pendant and Leader ring.

5 year necklace.jpg

Great photo! Which cheerleader did this belong to? (curiosity, no other reason!) It looks like they get a star stamped on the leader ring along with a tiny diamond for each year they are a leader.

• Love 2
On 8/10/2022 at 8:11 AM, HitItHarder..BAM said:

I think it is different because they are not employees, but are Contract workers.  I would guess their contract states that they can be replaced/terminated at any time.

Edited by Christineelgene
  • Love 2
On 8/5/2022 at 8:50 PM, LunaValerion said:

Not exactly breaking news or really even new, but it has now been confirmed that all cheerleaders are capped at five years. This rule apparently made last season.  

No more six years, seven years, etc. 

I am not sure that DCC has capped them at 5

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

Great photo! Which cheerleader did this belong to? (curiosity, no other reason!) It looks like they get a star stamped on the leader ring along with a tiny diamond for each year they are a leader.

My bad! Corrected: Tess Guidry

Edited by ClassicPegg
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

These belong to Tess, the others belong to Amy

Edited by viccib
added info
  • Love 1

Does anyone know why Victoria didn't have to audition this year? I thought it was a rule to have to re audition every year? As far as I know only Kelli Finglass didn't have to re audition out of the whole DCC squad years. I'm really pleased victoria is back though she is very talented. I was worried when she took a break.

1 minute ago, corrieb90 said:

Does anyone know why Victoria didn't have to audition this year? I thought it was a rule to have to re audition every year? As far as I know only Kelli Finglass didn't have to re audition out of the whole DCC squad years. I'm really pleased victoria is back though she is very talented. I was worried when she took a break.

She did audition. As a returning veteran she entered the audition process with the other veterans at the second round, did solos and progressed to and through training camp.

• Like 1
Just now, PomPomPom said:

She did audition. As a returning veteran she entered the audition process with the other veterans at the second round, did solos and progressed to and through training camp.

That makes so much more sense now! Thank you :-)

On 8/9/2022 at 8:32 PM, PomPomPom said:

Apparently skin color is a criteria, though.  Just sayin.'

3 hours ago, PomPomPom said:

As far as I know, since she took a year off, she had to start at the very beginning with the ones who were new to audition.  She didn't get to start with the other veterans who have been there for the past year or more.  

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, PomPomPom said:

I wonder if they changed it.  Maybe because VK only took 1 year of. Back in the 2005 MTT Whitney Ott had to go through the entire process but it could've been because she was gone more than a year.

Just now, RedDelicious said:

Drum and bugle Black Eyed Peas is an interesting choice, but I love the old school football game vibe!

I was waiting for them to start yelling go fight win lol 

• LOL 2
4 minutes ago, Holly85 said:

Yes bc she did two years then took break for a year so she came in as a veteran 

I know - I was referring question above as to whether she went through training camp as a rookie or a veteran. That being said, I've always liked the rookie pink better; I think it's prettier!

4 hours ago, RedDelicious said:

I know - I was referring question above as to whether she went through training camp as a rookie or a veteran. That being said, I've always liked the rookie pink better; I think it's prettier!

That makes more sense.  She went through Training Camp as a veteran but had to go through every level of auditions like everyone else.

VK wasn’t treated any differently as a returning veteran.  She, like Whitney Ott and Erica Perry who also made it back, had to go through the process like any other rookie candidate.  (There were several other returning vets (during the series run but only those three returned to the squad.) She started out in prelims and on from there.  Once past that, like the aforementioned, she wore veteran blue.  It seems people ask about her process because of feelings about her as opposed to what a returning veteran goes through, IMO.

• Love 8
On 8/9/2022 at 2:38 PM, StellaCL said:

I am not the biggest fan of Victoria, but the incessant online harassment posts of her have gotten really, really old. 

Agreed! I’m apparently one of the few , maybe only one on here that thinks she deserves to be there , she earned her spot 🤷‍♀️ The hatred grown women have for a young lady they don’t even know is disturbing 

• Like 2
  • Love 6