Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03: What is Lost

• Start Topic

Did anyone else see the Myriapod start begging/holding its hands in a sorry manner, instead of killing Ciri? Maybe it will be answered in one of the upcoming episodes; but it seemed like it wanted to help, not to cause harm.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

So what is Yennefer of Veggiburger's plan here? Why did she free the nilfiboy? Was that one of Baba Yaga's conditions? I thought she just said Yen should join her or something?

12 hours ago, Harvey said:

Did anyone else see the Myriapod start begging/holding its hands in a sorry manner, instead of killing Ciri?

It did look friendly. Not sure what's up with that.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

The shock of her freeing him gave her time to escape. 

Yeah but why? Are we really to believe that she would have any scruple in killing him to keep her standing? I call bullshit.

I'm not sure if I missed something major or if that whole storyline doesn't make sense.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, Zonk said:

Yeah but why? Are we really to believe that she would have any scruple in killing him to keep her standing? I call bullshit.

I'm not sure if I missed something major or if that whole storyline doesn't make sense.

She told him death must serve a purpose and if she thought his death would serve her she would absolutely have killed him. But it wouldn't. The brotherhood hates her because she's part Elf and would never let her hold any power ever. So his death would serve the brotherhood. Freeing him served her purpose. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 6
40 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

The brotherhood hates her because she's part Elf and would never let her hold any power ever.

I mean who cares? It would have bought her time and not made her a wanted criminal immediately. It's not like she isn't a great schemer who can do basically anything with enough time.

40 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Freeing him served her purpose. 

How? If there was a clear plan I'd get why she did it, but there didn't seem to be one.

Thing is at wherever all those mages hang, I forgot the name, she has friends. She has mother superior, she has simp-mage and all her girlfriends who are greatfull, that she destroyed the milfs army. (I am not good with names.) Also where better to find a cure for her magic-problem then there?

What does she have with the milfs? Nothing, really.

Edited by Zonk
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

So his death would serve the brotherhood. Freeing him served her purpose. 

Plus, killing him would just give Stregobor more ammunition to make the mates fear Yennafer.

I am curious as to what that Witch wants from Yennafer. 

I really thought Ceri would make the final jump, it was interesting that the show had her fail. Geralt's "so close" was amusing as hell.

I'm not sure I understand what the Myriapod was doing. I think it looked confused. I'm guessing it was another situation like Ferina where they can see something special/different about Ceri. I hope she's not a "star child" type character (I generally tend to hate them). Maybe, she's part Elf like Yennafer. That would be nice, they can bond.

• Love 3

It took me three episodes to realize why Yennefer looks different this season. She's not wearing the green eyeshadow anymore. Maybe that's why she lost her powers. Problem solved! Maybe it's Maybelline.

Ciri's story is starting to feel a little too Arya Stark. I don't know why she didn't use her scream power against the monster chasing her.

• Like 1
  • LOL 12
  • Love 4

Ah, good old Stregobor is back and being a "fuckhead" as Yen so eloquently put it.  Lars Mikkelsen is good at that!  Curious to see what will be the blowback over Yen going against them all and even freeing Cahir.  Tissaia actually looked a little proud over her escape, but I imagine the rest of the brotherhood will be out for blood.

Definitely got the sense that the Myriapod wasn't actually trying to kill Ciri at the end.  I wonder what that was all about?

Geralt is continuing the journey into fatherhood by dealing with his child rebelling all the time and also dealing with the other witchers assuming familiar roles like Lambert being the troublesome uncle who allows his niece to watch R-rated films or takes her on a dangerous training course before she's completely ready.  But she got close though!

Triss got the auburn hair now, but is clearly feeling self-conscious about the scars she got in the battle.  And it now sounds like she got sent off on her own mission now. 

• Love 5

Tissaia in 1x08 to Yennifer: It's your turn to save all these people. This can be your legacy.

Tissaia now: Sorry boo. We gave your legacy to the looser I'm boinking.

Freeing Cahir was a dumb ass move on Yen's part. You don't want to kill him then fine, don't. You can even have a monologue as to why you won't. But then just go and let the chips fall where they my in regards to him. Freeing him just makes you look more suspect, not less. Not to mention that she doesn't owe him anything, he would have gladly sliced and diced her in the Sodden battle if it had come to that.

• Love 2
On 12/18/2021 at 10:36 PM, iMonrey said:

It took me three episodes to realize why Yennefer looks different this season. She's not wearing the green eyeshadow anymore. Maybe that's why she lost her powers. Problem solved! Maybe it's Maybelline.

She and Camina Drummer of The Expanse; the more eye make up they wear, the more they mean business.  Battle armor.

I am completely lost this season wrt the politics of the kingdoms, and all the crazy names (except Francesca the elf?) confuse me.  I'm liking Ciri a lot more this year though.  She has spunk.

Love some of the supporting cast.  Mahesh Jadu (Vilgefortz, yes, I had to look it up) was fantastic in Marco Polo a few years ago, and I still have a girl crush on Long Susan (MyAnna Buring).

• Love 3
On 12/19/2021 at 12:27 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Geralt is continuing the journey into fatherhood by dealing with his child rebelling all the time and also dealing with the other witchers assuming familiar roles like Lambert being the troublesome uncle who allows his niece to watch R-rated films or takes her on a dangerous training course before she's completely ready.  But she got close though!

Lambert has a T-shirt that says, "FUNCLE"

• LOL 10

I've only seen the first few minutes of this episode but I had to stop and come here and comment because it is SO interesting how similar themes can turn up in completely separate works.  Last night I finished "A Court of Silver Flames" by Sarah J. Maas -- book #4 in the "A Court of Thorns and Roses" series.  Without going into any spoilers, it contains a tale in which young women find themselves being trained in fighting skills -- training that has traditionally been limited to men.  And some men don't like that breach of tradition.  At all.  I have to keep reminding myself that THIS is a different fantasy realm.

Okay I"m back for a moment.  So you know how they fed the dead body of the Witcher to the wolves?  I've heard of something similar in real life.  In the nonfiction book "From Heaven Lake" by Vikram Seth he writes about witnessing a sky burial in Tibet.  The frozen ground up in the mountains is too hard for burial of the dead to be practical.  So in one mountain community they cut up their dead and lay the pieces on an outdoor stone altar . . .  where they are consumed by the local colony of vultures.  Sometimes truth IS stranger than fiction. 

Okay I'm back again to say that the gown that Yennifer's actress was forced to wear through most of this episode -- the one that defies gravity by staying up without straps despite being VERY low-cut -- is distracting and ridiculous.  Although . . . now that I think about it . . . the fact that her breasts have not fallen out of that absurd get-up could be offered up as proof that she retained at least a little magic.

Now I've seen the whole thing.  As usual the Yennifer story-line left me confused but at least this time I'm SUPPOSED to be confused.  The guy she saved is just as confused.  But I'll be interested to see what comes next. Where can she go now with an escaped prisoner (that she can't trust) in tow?

And WTF was hidden behind that wall in Ciri's room?

Edited by WatchrTina
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

I liked that Cahir wasn't killed off this episode.  I find the character interesting.  And I totally get why Jennefer doesn't want the weight of executioner on her.

I feel for the plight of the Elves but I don't like any of the Elves characters so far introduced if that makes any sense.  Any time I look at the pregnant belly of the Elf queen I fear for the baby she is carrying.  I still remember that poor doomed baby from season 1.   This show doesn't have any scruples about killing babies.

• Love 1

I guess Yennafer just wanted to get the hell out of dodge, feeling like she was going to be seen as a spy or as too scary to be allowed to stay free, but running off with Nilboy doesn't seem to be a great plan either. Now she absolutely look like a spy and a traitor, but to her that was probably better then having to admit she doesn't have her magic, which she really does see as being all there is to her. 

Lambert isn't a regular uncle, he's a cool uncle. Who lets Ciri run around on the Double Dare obstacle course of doom, which she ended up doing pretty well on. Interesting that she messed up at the very end, but it makes sense, she still has a whole lot to learn, and like Geralt pointed out, she has a very human non magical body. 

Well, she doesn't exactly seem like a normal person, it definitely seems like the monster that seemingly attacked her was actually trying to communicate with her, like the vampire girl in the first episode of the season. She seems to attract monsters, monsters who want to be friends. 

Stregobor is such a prick that even the tree monster seems like a more fun person to hang out with.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 12/22/2021 at 12:45 AM, edhopper said:

Maybe it's because I can't remember all the political going ons from the first season, but I am bored by everything but the scenes with Geralt and Ciri.

Me too. Coudn't care less about what was happening in Aretuza. Only scenes I liked was Yennefer reuniting with Tissaia and other sorceresses. And I have no idea why she took Cahir with her, don't wanna kill him I get, but what do you need him for Yen?

I generally hoped for more Kear Morhen flashbacks to Geralt younger years and his training with Vesemir. Glad they at least included some Eskel's scenes when we could see him as he was, not when Leshy possessed him.

I guess that's one way to make an exit from Not Hogwarts.

The only magic Yennefer apparently has left is the ability to defy gravity to keep her dress up or to lift a rather large axe over her head multiple times with her tiny arms. But if you don't want to admit you don't have any magical powers left and Stregobor is being a right bastard about your small amount of elfin blood 5 minutes after you were being lauded again for managing to pull a win out of the big battle, it seems freeing the freaky doppler guy and throwing everything else into chaos on your way out  is as good a way as any to let them all know you're just done. It's at least consistent with her being a rather reactionary character.

I want to root for the elves as they're stand-ins for indigenous people shoved off their land by Cintra, but we're only getting bits and pieces of them. It also doesn't help that they've aligned themselves with what we've been told over and over again is the BIG EVUL of the series.

Ciri's training montage was leaning hard on Arya Stark in Braavos, although I did love Geralt's deadpan "so close" after apparently being entirely oblivious about what she was up to for the entire episode up until then. I'm still having trouble lining up some of what we're getting at witcher winter quarters with what we were told about it last season.

• Love 1

If I understood correctly, Kaer Morhen was attacked/sacked when Geralt was a child, Cahir was the oldest survivor and took on the responsibility of raising all the orphaned witchers-in-training, but the knowledge of how to make more died with the older residents.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Kasienka said:

Me too. Coudn't care less about what was happening in Aretuza. Only scenes I liked was Yennefer reuniting with Tissaia and other sorceresses. And I have no idea why she took Cahir with her, don't wanna kill him I get, but what do you need him for Yen?

I generally hoped for more Kear Morhen flashbacks to Geralt younger years and his training with Vesemir. Glad they at least included some Eskel's scenes when we could see him as he was, not when Leshy possessed him.

Did you see the Anime of the young Geralt?

6 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

If I understood correctly, Kaer Morhen was attacked/sacked when Geralt was a child, Cahir was the oldest survivor and took on the responsibility of raising all the orphaned witchers-in-training, but the knowledge of how to make more died with the older residents.

Most of the stuff you were saying is depicted in "The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf", the animated movie on Netflix. Watch that if you need a clearer answer.

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, edhopper said:

Did you see the Anime of the young Geralt?

You mean the Nightmare of the Wolf? I've seen in and I like it a lot, but it focused more on young Vesemir than Geralt's training.

Still I enjoyed it and I still enjoy the show despite some complaints. I guess I'm just ready for Stregobor to be gone, I really hoped that they were building towards his downfall this episode.

• Love 2

I was never really as disctracted by Geralt´s pecs in S1 as I was by his smile during his reveries with Eskel. Never really been a Henry Cavill fan so I'd kinda forgotten he's ya know, pretty. A happy Geralt is kinda disarming.

Personally I LOVED Yennefer's big meltdown. I love the character precisely for her chaotic nature, it´s never a dull day at the office with her lol.

But also because fuck the Brotherhood. As much as I like Tissaia and the other sorceresses, as long as the likes of Stregobor have a position there, it´s rotten. And Yennefer was right, that if she had killed Cahir he still would have found way to use it against her. He's never liked her, starting with her elven blood going by that lovely comment of "I'd bever demean myself with the likes of you, quarter blood", but also because he´s a mysoginist who FEARS women with power and he´d rather destroy them. Remember the baby girls he killed and cut open because supposedly they could bring about the end of the world or whatever? Even Tissaia knew that was bullshit, but he's a member of the counsil and thus untouchable. He went on his own to mentally rape Yennefer because he did not believe her (whereas Isstred version was instantly believed) and still the rest of the counsil went along with him. Yennefer dried herself on Sodden Hill the save their asses and win the battle and still had to prove herself to them? Fuck that. And I'm sorry about TIssaia, because I do like her and I do believe she cares for Yen, but ultimately she couldn´t or wouldn´t fight for her protege´s corner. Why wouldn´t Yen want to send it all to hell and try her luck with the elves gathering at Cintra? Her elven blood has been used against her in the past, and it is still being held against her at present. 

• Love 6
23 hours ago, minamurray78 said:

Why wouldn´t Yen want to send it all to hell and try her luck with the elves gathering at Cintra?

Because the elves don't consider her elven enough? Some of them (like Francesca) are just as racist as some of the humans and being quarter elf makes you a non-elf to some. Personally I think she went to Cintra because Cahir is of high rank rather any elf reasons.

• Useful 2
On 12/20/2021 at 12:13 AM, AnimeMania said:

Was that a huge skinned rat hanging on the wall in Ciri's room as a decoration.

Was that an actual "Human Centipede"?

Again, not a lot of story covered here.

I asked my mom about that giant rodent on the wall too!

(edited)

This was … boring. At this pace the season will end after they walk 100 yards out of the castle.

We probably should have seen one of the adult Witchers successfully complete the obstacle course. Doing it 30 years ago doesn’t count.

Also, a little surprised at some of the low budget stuff, like the paltry flame pots on stands outside the big gathering, and the shots of Ciri running from the creature with no creature in sight.

Edited by Ottis