Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Too Many Tuna Sandwiches

• Start Topic

Someone in Iron Lake has discovered Jim Lindsay’s secret identity, sending Dexter on the prowl to find out who it was. This pursuit leads him to realize that he might not be the only serial killer in town. Meanwhile, Harrison spirals out of control during a wrestling match and Angela makes a dark discovery of her own.

Original airdate 12/12/21

As someone who legally changed their name (first, middle, and last) I felt very attacked by Angela.  Harrison's wrestling opponent looked substantially bigger than him, would they really be in the same weight class?  I kept thinking Teddy was going to turn out to be a spy for Kurt and entomb Angela in his mausoleum-cave. 

Edited by Glade
  • Like 1
  • Love 9

Kurt either has these runaways as trophies like the way people get taxidermists to stuff animals they kill or he has some horrific scene using them as mannequins.

The one he shot in the eye couldn't be salvaged.

So he's trying to pick up the next runaway, turns out she's traveling with a boyfriend.  OK do teens set out to travel across the country just hitchhiking and not enough money  these days?  They ran out just going from Maine to upstate NY.

Because there doesn't seem to be much hitchhiking by callow youth anymore.  Just a trope in movies and TV or maybe they just have old writers?

Meanwhile, they ALL seem to run out of money in Iron Lake before they can continue their journeys to distant destinations.

Kurt tries to settle for Molly, whom Dexter feared would find him out.  Yet she had no idea Kurt was luring him into a kill room until she was inside the building, while Dexter's spidey sense was going off the hook.  So much for true crime podcasters being savvy.

Harrison says he is angry all the time and want to hurt people.  Audrey has also lost parents so she's into it?  Sex with an angry young man with possible psychopathic tendencies is such a good idea.

Yeah they're totally not in the same weight class.  Maybe if Harrison was more skilled but his opponent is suppose to be some kind of champion.

However, looked like Kurt and Dexter were ready to wrestle and Kurt is big -- in the gut.

Angela found Iris in the cave that Kurt didn't want searched.  Now she wants Dexter the forensics genius, but not Dexter the lover.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, aghst said:

Angela found Iris in the cave that Kurt didn't want searched.  Now she wants Dexter the forensics genius, but not Dexter the lover.

If she took the time to read his biography obituary, she would know that he is NOT a coroner. Also, since the cave is NOT the actual crime scene, blood spatter whispering skills are irrelevant...

Edited by paigow
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, paigow said:

If she took the time to read his biography obituary, she would know that he is NOT a coroner. Also, since the cave is NOT the actual crime scene, blood spatter whispering skills are irrelevant...

They're irrelevant in general.

John Oliver had a segment, criminal forensics is largely made up by law enforcement, there is no science there.

So all the blood splatter analysis depicted on CSI and Dexter has little correlation to what actually happened.

They make for an interesting narrative but that's about it, entertainment value.

But for the sake of advancing the plot, Dexter may find a way to implicate Kurt.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
44 minutes ago, aghst said:

Kurt tries to settle for Molly, whom Dexter feared would find him out.  Yet she had no idea Kurt was luring him into a kill room until she was inside the building, while Dexter's spidey sense was going off the hook.  So much for true crime podcasters being savvy.

To me it seemed like Molly was on to him as well. Perhaps she was ready with some weapon or something.  She presents herself as a weak little lamb but I would imagine her podcasting can put her in danger and what a scoop she would get if she actually solved something.

What shocked me was Kurt. Yah Kurt, you think there is a police interest right now? Have a national podcaster go missing ... the FBI and a million Lundys will decend on your town. I thought that was crazy of him to depart from the runaways to try to get Molly. 

ETA: This makes me wonder if Kurt is required to get these bodies for someone - so that Kurt is absolutely desperate to to provide a perfect body - asap. He doesn't have time to worry about the consequences.

Edited by BooBear
FInal thought
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Too many tuna sandwiches - Dexter’s killer instinct is rusty, unable to spot his fellow serial killer, and he has just realised about it.

Intense moments - Angela confronting Dexter at the station, the father & son therapy session and Harrison confessing to Audrey about his persistent violent thoughts.

WTF moments - Kurt punching Chloe’s corpse, psycho Harrison in wrestling match and Angela unexpectedly found Iris in the secluded cave/mine.

Dexter’s good deed in saving Molly from Kurt could come back and haunt him, bring him down. Eager for a story, Molly has let her guard down. Dexter should take note of this, in case he needs to take her down.

From this episode, it seems to confirm that Molly and Harrison’s motivations were exactly what they said they were. Harrison tracked down his dad and came to Iron Lake because he wants answers that could help him dealing with his angers. Molly is interested in Matt’s disappearance and it doesn’t seem like she’s having secret info etc. But logically, how Molly knew about Matt’s case? This is just a small town’s missing person case, no coverage on mainstream media. I still believe that Molly knows more than what she led us to believe.

After what happened in the basement and the wrestling match, I hope this show won’t be focusing too much on open hostility between Dexter and Kurt.

If Dexter tell the truth in the therapy session, about his mom being killed in front of him, they could have made some real progress there.

Harrison brought his straight razor to Audrey’s house and the show made sure we saw it in his back pocket. Why?

TBH, I don’t think Kurt killed Iris just by looking at the way her body was dumped. It doesn’t fit Kurt’s rituals in preserving his victims. And Kurt would not fit into that narrow hallway in the cave, Ed Olsen does.

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, paigow said:

Was that a different mine entrance? Where is the giant pit...and Vladimir The Bear???? Is that cave a constant temperature all year? Otherwise, Iris should be more decomposed...

We've seen Kurt embalm the women. So that should explain the lack of decomp.

4 hours ago, paigow said:

She said she needs "Dexter Morgan the forensics expert", not coroner and that he was. Maybe the obit didn't mention that his speciality was blood splatter? (which btw. is a made up science, so this is always funny to me in this show, when Dex can read it like a book)

Edited by Zonk
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

Did Dexter actually kill innocents or those who threatened to reveal his crimes?

He imprisoned Doakes but he didn't kill him, though it could be argued that his actions led to Doakes' death.

But did he cross the Rubicon?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, BooBear said:

ETA: This makes me wonder if Kurt is required to get these bodies for someone - so that Kurt is absolutely desperate to to provide a perfect body - asap. He doesn't have time to worry about the consequences.

I mean we haven't seen other Billionair in a while. Seems weird that they would build him up in the beginning and then just drop him like that.

On the other hand, might just be bad writing. I can't discount that with this show.

13 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

TBH, I don’t think Kurt killed Iris just by looking at the way her body was dumped. It doesn’t fit Kurt’s rituals in preserving his victims. And Kurt would not fit into that narrow hallway in the cave, Ed Olsen does.

I mean that was like 20 years ago. He probably didn't always have that gut.

Edited by Zonk
  • Love 5

An embalmed body has minimal forensic value... Kurt would have removed physical evidence- like the bullet- so any ballistics testing (not a Dex specialty) would be limited to the caliber and angle of entry wound. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Zonk said:

We've seen Kurt embalm the women. So that should explain the lack of decomp.

She said she needs "Dexter Morgan the forensics expert", not coroner and that he was. Maybe the obit didn't mention that his speciality was blood splatter? (which btw. is a made up science, so this is always funny to me in this show, when Dex can read it like a book)

I am wondering if they are going to throw us something else going on. For instance Kurt killing the runaways but that is entirely different from whatever is going on in the caves and that is something else happening with regard to the indigenous women. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
36 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Kurt would not fit into that narrow hallway in the cave, Ed Olsen does.

Olsen is not going to do his own dirty work. His Delta / SEAL / SAS mercs would dump a body. But he had no motive to kill Iris. If she disappeared in the summer, Olsen was likely not around.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Dexter Morgan's Obituary (1st para):

"Dexter Morgan, a forensic crime scene analyst with Miami Metro Police Department who aided in many of Miami Metro's most high profile homicide cases was lost at sea, aboard his fishing boat "Slice of Life". His passing was discovered in the wake of hurricane Laura, which left his small craft fishing vessel and much of the Atlantic coast devastated. Mr. Morgan was born in Miami and raised by his adoptive parents Doris and Harrison Morgan.”

7E581B1D-BF06-4DED-878B-3D2D437037FF.jpeg

• Useful 4
  • Love 8

Am I the only one who feels like that story is all over the place? Like they tried to cram too much into too few episodes. I'm still enjoying it, but feel like I need a score card.

Re: true crime people. Back before the Golden State Killer was caught, there were two forums with podcasts that were very invested in the case. One forum said he was not responsible for a series of crimes that occurred in another area. They were so sure they were right, anyone disagreeing with them got banned. When he was actually caught, the cops said he'd done those crimes too. No true crime people actually helped catch him. Good old fashioned police work and DNA.

I guess I'd take Angela over Little Miss Gucci Boots.

• Love 7

I think we all new that there was going to be human remains under those rocks as surely as we knew that Harrison was going to break Jeremy's arm.

Hope Kurt remembered to turn off the bathroom light.

Not for nothin', but a foot of snow on the ground, melted runoff in the streets, and every vehicle in town looks like it just came off the showroom floor.  Even the tires on Dexter's truck are clean.  I lived in CT for four years when I was working on my MBA - never saw a vehicle in the winter that didn't look like a muddy snowball on wheels.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, Glade said:

I kept thinking Teddy was going to turn out to be a spy for Kurt and entomb Angela in his mausoleum-cave. 

Oh good, not just me. 😊

7 hours ago, BooBear said:

To me it seemed like Molly was on to him as well. Perhaps she was ready with some weapon or something

She did have mace ready and she certainly picked up on the creepy vibe. Sadly she fell into the horror movie cliche of not believing her own instincts.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

TBH, I don’t think Kurt killed Iris just by looking at the way her body was dumped. It doesn’t fit Kurt’s rituals in preserving his victims. And Kurt would not fit into that narrow hallway in the cave, Ed Olsen does

Could have been Kurt's first kill, before he honed his methodology and built his kill cabin (well the kill room).

Yes, I've probably watched way too much Criminal Minds 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Lol’d at some of Dexter’s VOs (I may not have the wording exact):

”Ah, the good old days” when the podcast was talking about the bodies dismembered and dumped in the bay.
”What is it with serial killers and bathtubs?”
”You have no idea” when Molly said she thought she’d be the subject of her own podcast.
”Never kill the family member of a serial killer.”
”Normal people are so strange.”

Where the hell did Angela get off pulling Dexter over and hauling him to the station? That was an abuse of power. And what makes her so sure he didn’t have some good reason for changing his name? That doesn’t necessarily constitute a lie. (Okay, we the viewers know better… but she doesn’t. Hell, he could have been in Witness Protection for all she knew.)

Pretending to charge his phone while actually recording Molly and Kurt’s conversation was probably illegal, but it was genius.

I was pleasantly surprised when Dexter showed up in Kurt’s cabin and got Molly out of there. And of course got a real good look at the room where Kurt imprisons the runaways. Also glad that one girl at the truck stop had her boyfriend with her and didn’t end up a victim.

For someone who’s supposed to be so smart, Harrison (whom I hate a little more each episode) sure seems to have no common sense. Staying long enough to get caught in Audrey’s bed in the morning? Deliberately breaking that kid’s arm in full view of a gym full of people? Yeah, he was a nasty little cheater with the elbow to the face maneuver, but he deserved to lose the match, not get his arm broken. WTAF, Harrison?!

Edited by CarpeFelis
  • Like 1
  • Love 12

Maybe, instead of Dexter Morgan Forensic Expert, she really needs David Fisher Mortician. 

I just want Dexter and Harrison to get along. They have so much in common. They could be a formidable serial killing machine. But Dexter needs to take the first steps, and tell Harrison about his (Dexter’s) mother and brother. Ease into the whole vigilante killer thing. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 4

“I don’t need Jim.  I need Dexter Morgan”

The question is Angela, which Dexter Morgan.

i thought Dexter telling Angela half the truth about why he left was really well done   And I am glad I am kinda right about the overall story arc with Harrison.  Because Dexter us lying to him he us being groomed by another serial killer.   Talk about awkward.

Also awkward the fact that Dexter might end up getting found out by a podcaster.  

• Love 5

Iris could be Kurt’s victim zero?

Or Matt's...because we're exploring father/son relationships and inherited behavior.

With the eye "repair" I was thinking "Phantom of the Opera". 

Deb didn't bother too much tonight. She actually made some good points. 

Nothing is so alluring as driving out to someone's remote (kill) cabin in the DEEP DARK WOODS, WITHOUT TELLING ANYONE! I mean, she writes about serial killers and doesn't get a vibe? Only to land in the truck of another serial killer! 

Edited by Kristi800
adding "the"
  • Useful 2
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, BooBear said:

What it’s making me wonder is whether Kurt is a necrophiliac.

5 hours ago, Zonk said:

Maybe the obit didn't mention that his speciality was blood splatter? (which btw. is a made up science, so this is always funny to me in this show, when Dex can read it like a book)

Does Dr. Henry Lee know this?  He's made millions testifying about blood spatter.

Edited by preeya
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Could have been Kurt's first kill, before he honed his methodology and built his kill cabin (well the kill room).

Yes, I've probably watched way too much Criminal Minds 😂

It could be. And the next question… where are the other bodies?

39 minutes ago, Kristi800 said:

Or Matt's...because we're exploring father/son relationships and inherited behavior.

Was Matt around the same age as Angela and Iris? 

37 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

The way Dexter answered Angela’s call was really out of his character. Dexter would have said “hey you”. That line was ridiculous. 😂🤦🏻‍♀️

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, SnazzyDaisy said:
50 minutes ago, Kristi800 said:

Was Matt around the same age as Angela and Iris? 

He does seem a little younger, but it seems like a theme that be explored, even though it seems like he had that streak based on the boating incident. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, aghst said:

Did Dexter actually kill innocents or those who threatened to reveal his crimes?

He killed Hannah's father who was an asshole but did not meet the code. He was reluctantly going to kill Quinn to save his own skin, and he may certainly have killed Doakes if Elvira hadn't done it for him. "Don't get caught" was the main directive of the Code.

I actually kind of enjoyed this episode. I did call it last week that Dexter would start his usual pack of lies to Angela to cover up why he's using an alias. My only surprise was that she didn't swallow it hook, line and sinker. That was a big surprise for Dexter too. His lies always worked in the good ol' days.

Kurt must be completely gone off the rails to think he could sit with bigmouthed,  stupid, annoying podcaster in a restaraurant where everyone saw them, then saw him leave with her and then she vanishes? Dexter barging in with his old "Hi, there!" Opie demeanor was rather entertaining.

At the counseling session: Dexter hasn't changed a bit. Every word out of his mouth was a lie.

Shocking moment(for me): Kurt punching the dead girl's face. I wonder what he does with the faces? Some macabre art installation?

Is Kurt trying to mold Harrison into another son and give up on the old one as a bad job?

51 minutes ago, CarpeFelis said:

What it’s making me wonder is whether Kurt is a necrophiliac.

I don't think so. He seems interested only in their faces.

I wonder if TPTB read this forum. They gave Deb a complete change of personality, thank goodness. Now she's more like the real Deb.

1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

Where the hell did Angela get off pulling Dexter over and hauling him to the station? That was an abuse of power.

Exactly what I was thinking. You don't use your cop status, never mind police equipment, to have a confrontation with a boyfriend.

2 hours ago, WaltersHair said:

Like they tried to cram too much into too few episodes.

That's been my complaint all along, and I agree.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, paigow said:

Granted, but they've established this is a podunk department with no access to state resources and he does at least have a forensics background.  It's not the least implausible thing on this show by any means.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, anoninrva said:

Granted, but they've established this is a podunk department with no access to state resources and he does at least have a forensics background.  It's not the least implausible thing on this show by any means.

Yes, and Angela read his obituary stating he was a "forensic crime scene analyst" so it makes sense she would ask him. He did do a lot more than just check blood spatter and could conclude a likely cause of death as long as the indicators were on the exterior of the body. However, probably not much he can glean from a 20-year-corpse that's been embalmed unless it's something glaringly obvious like maybe a throat cut from ear to ear. That's something even that goofy, comic-relief cop could see.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, CarpeFelis said:

”Never kill the family member of a serial killer.”

This is Trinity, isn't it? Haven't there been at least two previous seasons of Dexter vs the big bad also serial killer?  All signs seem to be screaming in that direction now.

I don't know anything about wrestling, but it seems unlikely Harrison would have been matched with that kid who was not only much bigger than him, but also a state champion.  I also find it hard to believe he could so gratuitously break the kid's arm and not get a whiff of warning about it.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, preeya said:

Does Dr. Henry Lee know this?  He's made millions testifying about blood spatter.

I mean probably. It's a good scam to be sure, when you can make millions of it.

• LOL 1
47 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

Yes, and Angela read his obituary stating he was a "forensic crime scene analyst" so it makes sense she would ask him.

My point was that this cave is not THE crime scene so why bother?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I’m so used to knowing that he’s a serial killer, that my first assumption was that she wanted vigilante Dexter.  Of course, if she knew, she would have arrested him. 
I was expecting Kurt to kidnap the podcaster, and I guess it’s no longer possible for Harrison to end up there (something I wondered about last week).  I wonder where all of the other bodies are - unless I missed something.  

Edited by Anela
  • Love 4
37 minutes ago, Starchild said:

Most interesting thing I learned from the episode is that it is NOT illegal to fake your own death. I imagine then that they get you for something else, like tax evasion.

Not sure that is true. Fraud is a crime and "Jim" had to engage in Fraud to be living the life he is.

• Love 3
On 12/12/2021 at 12:41 AM, Glade said:

Harrison's wrestling opponent looked substantially bigger than him, would they really be in the same weight class? 

No they would not. I was friends with a lot of the wrestling team in high school. No one ever went up in a weight class, always down. No one even wrestled at their normal everyday weight. Those guys ran around in rubber/plastic suits in the Florida sun to sweat off as much as possible before the weigh ins.  The only exception was the guy who wrestled in the heavy weight class, they actually made him gain weight.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, paigow said:

Yes, that's very true. It makes no sense in this case, but this is a police chief whose own team is totally inept and who thinks it's a fine idea to get some YouTube podcaster involved in investigations. As if.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Starchild said:

I imagine then that they get you for something else, like tax evasion.

Jim is paying taxes as a gun store employee. Fred may not be the brightest bulb, but he is not going to cheat the IRS with undocumented staff

• Love 2
12 hours ago, paigow said:

Except we don't know that the cave is NOT the crime scene. All we know, and more importantly, All Angela and everyone else IN THE SHOW knows is that Iris went missing. She could have been brought there first and then killed or she could have been dumped after the fact, it's undetermined at this point. When a body is found, investigators can only work from the origin of discovery utilizing forensics to hopefully determine all factors in the death, that's "why bother". Angela knowing Dexter's true identity and background makes him her quickest, easiest option for maybe finding out what happened. Now, if you want to argue the efficacy or likelihood of utilizing the skills of a supposedly dead man in any case or trial brought against any accused perpetrator, that's a different story, lol.

• Love 3
19 minutes ago, BooBear said:

Kind of confused as to how Angela could use Dexter. Assuming it results in an arrest... how will she explain it in court? 

Maybe she didn't think that far, but then no one on this show seems to do much in the way of planning ahead. Dexter killing Matt (and then setting up a kill room in the drug dealer's own house!), Kurt taking podcaster in full view of the whole town, Harrison breaking the kid's arm - what do they do then? Oh. 

Was Harrison planning to slice up Audrey, but her total empathy and understanding of his feelings stopped him?

• Love 6

I feel like this whole season is just setting it up for Dexter to mentor Harrison to channel his anger toward bad people, just like Dexter's father did for him. Isn't that what happened in the graphic novels as well?

And yeah, Angel pulling over Dexter and bringing him to the station was cringe-worthy.

17 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I actually kind of enjoyed this episode. I did call it last week that Dexter would start his usual pack of lies to Angela to cover up why he's using an alias. My only surprise was that she didn't swallow it hook, line and sinker. That was a big surprise for Dexter too. His lies always worked in the good ol' days.

Was anything he said to Angela in that conversation an actual lie?

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, CatfishMan said:

I feel like this whole season is just setting it up for Dexter to mentor Harrison to channel his anger toward bad people, just like Dexter's father did for him. Isn't that what happened in the graphic novels as well?

And yeah, Angel pulling over Dexter and bringing him to the station was cringe-worthy.

Was anything he said to Angela in that conversation an actual lie?

LIes of omission, but still completely dishonest. He was just broken-hearted about all the terrible things that happened to poor HIM, through no fault of his own. Understandable. He had no intention of telling Angela about why his wife was brutally murdered, his son given to a skanky serial killer, or his sister thrown into the ocean to join all his disreputable victims. All that might put him in a bad light with his girlfriend.

• Love 3