Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E03: Not Social But Very Distant

Pallas
  • Start Topic

5 hours ago, Kellyee said:

While I agree with and respect what people are saying about mental health during the pandemic, I don't believe for one second that either Christine or Janelle ignored Covid rules for mental health reasons. Christine ignored Covid because she wanted to travel and stick it to Kody, and she decided she was going to do what she wanted. Announcing her "two week vacation" pre-surgery was a total FU to Kody and Robyn, not an act of compassion because she was worried about her daughters or their mental health. 

Janelle ignored Covid because Janelle is lazy and passive as hell and has no say over what her kids are doing. Janelle wants to let her kids wander on by while she drinks Plexus and works on her greenhouses.

I think that one had to quarantine for 14 days when coming to NJ from out of state when Ysabel had her surgery. So Christine’s two week vacation comment, while a dig at the king and queen of COVID protocols, was actually referring to the NJ governor’s request. Also, Ysabel herself needed to quarantine and be tested before surgery. If she had caught the virus, surgery would’ve been postponed or canceled. 
My best friend in high school had the rod and spinal fusion surgery done. She was also in a body cast for months— it was a painful recovery for her, but this was done many years ago. Ysabel’s surgery likely was no picnic, either. And, from what I understand, the surgery should be done while the patient is still growing— so it cannot be put off too long.

• Useful 6
  • Love 5

Finally watched this shitshow. It's my Friday night reward. Watching it finally dawn on Christine that she must leave Kody and why she must is fascinating, sad and yet so positive at the same time. It's almost like you can see the wheels turning in her head. Ysabel is lovely. Life is going to be so much happier for them now. 

• Love 18
Just now, sandals said:

Does anyone else have a hard time believing that Christine has really “left” kody?  

Me.  They are desperate to keep the train on the tracks so just dangling this bit since there is nothing of interest in the empty lot and the pandemic. 

Because wouldn't it make excellent TV for her to go back for next season?  Rebuilding the relationship?  Proving polygamy is a gift from god?

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, LilyD said:

I believe Christine's departure is real. The Browns are horrible actors and Christine's emotions so far, have been raw and genuine. She's experiencing one vicious attack from Kody after another, who's also hurting the kids as he goes along. To me, it's painfully obvious that she was a broken woman on the show.

I hope so. The fact that he was such a neglectful/absent/irresponsible father finally pushed Christine over the edge. 

• Love 16
12 minutes ago, jacksgirl said:

I hope so. The fact that he was such a neglectful/absent/irresponsible father finally pushed Christine over the edge. 

I agree.  I think she was willing to overlook and justify the hurts and insults leveled her way as a result of her lifelong conditioning as a polygamist.  The callous disregard for Ysabel's situation was the straw that broke the "Unicorn's" back.  Her mama bear finally came out to roar.

• Love 17
4 hours ago, sandals said:

Does anyone else have a hard time believing that Christine has really “left” kody?  
I think she has moved, yes, but really left him? I don’t know.

I don't have a hard time believing.  If you go back and watch the old seasons, Christine has the same comments and the same complaints then as she has now. The answer seems to always be the same.  Her problems are her problems, keep sweet, suck it up for the whole family. If filming began in 2009, that means that she has had these issues for 12 years.  The only change is that she now only has one young(er) child to care for instead of a family gaggle to corral...and Meri. She has seen clearly with the Meri/Kody relationship just how cold and cruel Kody can be and I suspect she has had a hard dose of reality in that her relationship will never repair to anything of what she wants.  Her wants just don't matter to Kody, if they really ever did.

• Love 21

I cannot imagine her putting Truely, and even Ysabel, through that. Getting a “pretend divorce” and moving  miles away for the sake of a TV show would be a pretty horrible thing to do to a 10 year old. I know the TV show in itself is not great for a kid, but that goes beyond. Everything I’ve seen from Christine on social media supports her leaving. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

Christine made a passing reference about health insurance.  Was she saying that she needed to acquire health insurance or that she needed her insurance company to approve Ysabel's surgery.  I was binge watching and deleted the episode before I could run it back.

I bet Kody was using Covid as an excuse for putting off Ysabel's surgery.  He really wanted for her wait until after she turned 18 so he would not have to pay her medical bills.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

Christine made a passing reference about health insurance.  Was she saying that she needed to acquire health insurance or that she needed her insurance company to approve Ysabel's surgery.  I was binge watching and deleted the episode before I could run it back.

I bet Kody was using Covid as an excuse for putting off Ysabel's surgery.  He really wanted for her wait until after she turned 18 so he would not have to pay her medical bills.

She kept saying that she had to "get insurance" so I took that to mean that she didn't have insurance for Ysabel and needed to get it.

• Useful 4
1 hour ago, sharkerbaby said:

I took it to mean she needed to find supplemental insurance that would cover the relatively new technique.  Yes, vertebral body tethering is FDA approved but traditional insurance coverage is variable and uncommon.

Very seriously doubt anyone has insurance except the kids attending college full time, maybe.  Some colleges require you to take the student insurance offered, unless you have proof of coverage through your parents.  

For 4 families they are looking at $4,600-$5,000 a month for premiums.  That doesn't include the cost of co-pays or deductibles.  Which is why Christine got the cheapest plan she could get and needed $50K upfront to cover what she would have to pay before they would do the surgery.  The last two times i had surgery/procedure done, I had to pay my portion up front.  The called several time and told me when I came for my pre-op that they would not do my surgery if I didn't bring payment.

• Useful 10