Type keyword(s) to search

The Human Beings Known as the Arnold-Klein Family

• Start Topic

Completely agree with this. IMO, people who offer help don't do it to be insulting. Let's face it, there are many other ways to do that. They do it in an attempt to be kind and helpful, and because they hope someone would do the same for them if they needed assistance.

We know they "mean well" but if it happens several times a day or week you just about want to bite them because you are living your normal life. I wonder if the Kleins ever offer to drive someone's child (or adult) somewhere only to be told "we got it covered".

No one ever takes me up on my driving offer because I have HC plates, am deaf and have MS. lol

• Love 4

Completely agree with this. IMO, people who offer help don't do it to be insulting. Let's face it, there are many other ways to do that. They do it in an attempt to be kind and helpful, and because they hope someone would do the same for them if they needed assistance.

I agree too.  Its so easy to say a nice no thank you.   Positive energy is much better health wise too.

I believe another poster said, its nice that there are still nice people extending a kind innocent gesture.

• Love 3

Jellybeans, on the flip side of that, I have my mom harping I need to get a HC placard to hang in the window, even though I don't need it yet. I keep telling her I'm saving that little "milestone" for farther down the road. 

As for the kids reading what's being said about them, I don't worry too much about it. First, I'd imagine by the time the kids are old enough to do a Google search and then read the responses, they'll have the smarts to consider the sources. Second, when they do do the search, they are going to see a million positive hits about their family and a handful of sites like message boards. 

I do find it interesting it's always the same people who mention the kids being later traumatized that the world might have seen their speech or other delays are the same people who bring those delays up in every single post they post here and are the same ones who who seem to think Bill and Jen not only should not "hide" these from viewers but also somehow owe the viewers an in depth explanation of why the delays are happening and what they are doing to address them. I find it quite ironic. 

• Love 9

I do find it interesting it's always the same people who mention the kids being later traumatized that the world might have seen their speech or other delays are the same people who bring those delays up in every single post they post here and are the same ones who who seem to think Bill and Jen not only should not "hide" these from viewers but also somehow owe the viewers an in depth explanation of why the delays are happening and what they are doing to address them. I find it quite ironic.

Oh I can explain that.

Personally I think its more a privacy issue as far as seeing it later goes. Sorry, but there are cute adorable health issues I had as a child that I would be mortified to have available on youtube for strangers to see. In general, I don't think children should be on reality shows. They aren't getting paid directly, and they aren't getting any choice in what about their life gets shown. For me, its a higher level concern.

That said, the reality is that the kids are on reality tv. And people are going to notice that Will is five and barely speaking and still wearing a diaper and they will ask "what's wrong with Will?" because, forgive me, its a natural question. You're putting your five year old on national tv, if he's unable to speak clearly and wearing a diaper... I'm sorry but you will get more than just "isn't he cute?" in response simply because it is outside the norms. I personally don't need an indepth description of Will's delays and what they are doing (I think they are doing everything they can within the confines of Will's abilities) but if they're going to take the checks for displaying the children, the questions about the children are part of the price they pay for those checks.

Put another way - and this goes for all reality show families - if you don't want your parenting questioned, don't go on tv.

• Love 6

Very well said.

It really hit home to me yesterday when I was watching old reruns of Jon and Kate and the tups were 3 and speaking in full sentences, and all 3 little girls potty trained. I understand Will had to catch up with language, especially with hearing loss. but kids that age are sponges.

• Love 2

I would never give the "side eye" or make a crack to anyone who was kind and gracious enough to offer me a helping hand whether I appeared to need it or not.

Dry humor. Michelle thought it was funny.

• Love 1

Dry humor. Michelle thought it was funny.

Well of course!!  She would never have repeated it otherwise especially on national TV and she is too classy to do anything other than be kind and gracious.  

I was referring to those who do which I have never seen or heard thank God!   

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

This family is so not like the average family in the sense that they are surrounded by help and the nanny and the camera crew. So much so that they don't even experience things that normal familes do. For example a typical stay-at-home mom or dad would have to take the kids with him when grocery shopping at least some of the time. I am positive that neither Jen nor Bill have had to go get groceries with the 2 kids in tow. Could you imagine Will would be grabbing the candy at the checkout and having a royal tantrum if she said "no". This is the reason why average parents have to teach their children NO means NO! 

That one time Jen was "alone" with the 2 kids (camera crew was there) she was acting like she never does it, that the kids were acting "rambunctious" and hyper when I think they were being themselves. I'll give her a pass because of her size, she can't take the kids out of their carseats- so I don't think she has ever been anywhere outside of her home alone with her kids. This is just unusual for a parent. It almost explains why they don' t have to be that strict! She doesn't have to fear being on her own with them out in public.

Edited by Bellalisa
  • Love 3

FYI - Will doesn't turn 5 until February.  Given how Jon Gosselin was sued by TLC for getting out of his contract with the network, even if Bill and/or Jen wanted out they are stuck unless they want a lawsuit.  Their adoptions went really fast so the might have thought the kid(s) would be coming after the contract expired.  Who knows!  I guess for me, Bill and Jen seem like decent people so just like the parents from the old show 'Table for 12' I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they have weighed all the pros and cons.

• Love 2

FYI - Will doesn't turn 5 until February.  Given how Jon Gosselin was sued by TLC for getting out of his contract with the network, even if Bill and/or Jen wanted out they are stuck unless they want a lawsuit.  Their adoptions went really fast so the might have thought the kid(s) would be coming after the contract expired.  Who knows!  I guess for me, Bill and Jen seem like decent people so just like the parents from the old show 'Table for 12' I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt that they have weighed all the pros and cons.

I agree. I want to believe Bill & Jen thought their TLC contract would expire before they got an OK on the adoptions - and that hopefully they will end the filming as soon as they're legally able. 

• Love 1

It's usually by years which in regular broadcast TV equals seasons.  The contracts are usually for six to eight years. The episodes we just saw were most likely on the original contract along with the remainder of this season. 

• Love 2

There is no way of knowing if the Kleins are doing the show because they are locked into an old contract, or if they are doing the show by choice under a new contract. There is a 50/50 chance either way.

We know that anyone who signs a TLC contract has very little say in what they can show and how they can edit one thing to make it look like something totally different.

I think the title given Jen and Bill as producers is something to stroke the ego of these reality people once they get a taste and like it, as in they think they are now celebs.  We have all seen this done once all these shows are popular, usually a few years into filming. There is probably a tad more money involved too, to make it seem more real.

My guess on contract longevity is that TLC is free to end it at any time for numerous reasons, the biggest being a scandal or low ratings. Jen and Bill do not get the same on their side.  In other words, TLC is the winner all the way around.

The industry "upfronts" are the way most of the TLC/BRAVO/NBC and other networks let their 'talents" know whether or not they are back for another season. No letter saying welcome back for another year, no invite to upfronts.

• Love 2

I don't see any reason to suppose that Bill and Jen are anxious to get out of their contract. They certainly have more than extended themselves by showing personal moments, while they could have limited filming to specific situations.

Instead of medical visits, maybe restrict filming to public places like pumpkin patches, or pirate ships. (No way could any TV network force a parent to film their child's doctor's visits!) Maybe they are pushing back already, who knows, but it doesn't seem like it.

ETA: What auntl said! 

Edited by CousinAmy
  • Love 2

I don't think that they are forced to do People Magazine, Dr. Oz, and all the other interviews, TV show appearences, press conferences, and public speaking engagements that they do.

I wonder if some appearances are part of the TLC network's contract to help advertise the show?  Both appear as keynote speakers and I believe they get paid for that and possibly when they "volunteer" to speak against bullying.      

• Love 1

This link is Bill's bio and explains most if not all of their public appearances on behalf of themselves not the network.  As part of their business they would be paid for their appearances.      

http://www.reesawards.ca/speaker.html

"Candu Enterprises"! Here's a link to some info. It was founded in 2009 and has a staff of 1.

http://www.manta.com/c/mtgsqgk/candu-enterprises-inc?utm_expid=82789632-30.8Ue3RXoXRoWAwC0cgSs_wg.0&utm_referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.manta.com%2Fc%2Fmtgsqgk%2Fcandu-enterprises-inc

• Love 1

This link is Bill's bio and explains most if not all of their public appearances on behalf of themselves not the network.  As part of their business they would be paid for their appearances.      

http://www.reesawards.ca/speaker.html

A typical PR biography, although that's fair, since that's exactly what it is. My only "?" moment in reading it was the description of the kids. In my experience nearly all toddlers can be described as "precocious" in some respect. But tagging William as "talented" - IMO, that would really only be accurate now if he was playing the piano by ear, or something similar. A more accurate description of Will would be "outgoing and enthusiastic."

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 2

I believe their original names are now their middle names.  

That's what my cousin did with the two kids they adopted. 

However I recently watched a documentary about the challenges of adopting children and this family adopted a teenage girl (or close to teenage) and they ended up changing her name (and she was russian and didn't speak english at all) and I thought that was kinda weird.  They also adopted a set of twin boys who I thought were maybe 4-5 but holy cow they knew some bad language for being that old and all 3 were very angry that their names were being changed.

I can't remember what happened with the boys, but with the older girl they called her by her original name at home but at school she was known by her american name and i think later on her family (and herself) called her by a nickname that was a combo of the two so i guess it came to a positive compromise. 

In my experience nearly all toddlers can be described as "precocious" in some respect. But tagging William as "talented" - IMO, that would really only be accurate now if he was playing the piano by ear, or something similar.

We only get a short glimpse of their lives. There's no time to show everything the kids can do. For all we know, Will is a quantum physics wiz. Zoey may play a mean trombone.

Seems like no one can just have a wife and kids. They have to be "beautiful" or "great" or "terrific".

• Love 3

We only get a short glimpse of their lives. There's no time to show everything the kids can do. For all we know, Will is a quantum physics wiz. Zoey may play a mean trombone.

Seems like no one can just have a wife and kids. They have to be "beautiful" or "great" or "terrific".

And I am pretty sure we are seeing the best parts of their lives in that short glimpse!

I wonder what they were thinking in describing Will as "talented" when "he's just a kid" would have been perfect!    

• Love 1

I think some of it is plain old "new parent pride" where folks think their kids are the best things since sliced bread.  As I've told many folks over the years (and often get accused of being mean for doing so, but whatever), "No one else is as impressed with your kids as you are."  We know rationally that the great majority of children aren't Einsteins or inordinately talented, but they're our babies and we love them and they're gorgeous/fabulous/perfect/hung the moon in our eyes and the way we talk about them reflects that.  I greet hyperbole with a grin but it's normal in parents, I think, particularly new ones.

The rest, is, I think, positive reinforcement.  When you have a child with challenges, who will face a bit of a hard road, it seems normal and loving to go above and beyond with telling the child that he is capable and awesome and can do great things.  I'm also a believer in the power of words.  I only say loving and encouraging things about my child, even when she isn't nearby.  I believe in putting positivity into the universe on her behalf.  It doesn't hurt one bit that they refer to Will as "talented" or any other positive and uplifting words.

• Love 11

My kids are better than anyone else's. Any questions? ;-)

Nope. We have all accepted second place now.

Did anyone here buy a T shirt or coffee mug?

For everyone on my Christmas list, of course.

• Love 5

Do I understand correctly? Does this mean that they were making the children pretend that it was Halloween in July?

I just remember Jen asking on Twitter last June if any parents had ideas for Halloween costumes for kids.  They were filming in Washington at the time when they did the SNFK junket and the pirate ship because the internet had pics of them and the TLC film crew.  

I think the trip we saw last week to the pumpkin patch actually took place last August which is why the pumpkins were so small and no one was around so they could film Halloween too.  I guess we will see tomorrow night if there are other indications about the timing.  

The discussion at that time was about whether they were on hiatus or filming and that the kids were always "on" or working.    

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Love 1

I think some of it is plain old "new parent pride" where folks think their kids are the best things since sliced bread.  As I've told many folks over the years (and often get accused of being mean for doing so, but whatever), "No one else is as impressed with your kids as you are."  We know rationally that the great majority of children aren't Einsteins or inordinately talented, but they're our babies and we love them and they're gorgeous/fabulous/perfect/hung the moon in our eyes and the way we talk about them reflects that.  I greet hyperbole with a grin but it's normal in parents, I think, particularly new ones.

The rest, is, I think, positive reinforcement.  When you have a child with challenges, who will face a bit of a hard road, it seems normal and loving to go above and beyond with telling the child that he is capable and awesome and can do great things.  I'm also a believer in the power of words.  I only say loving and encouraging things about my child, even when she isn't nearby.  I believe in putting positivity into the universe on her behalf.  It doesn't hurt one bit that they refer to Will as "talented" or any other positive and uplifting words.

Completely agree. As a teacher, I've heard more proud parent statements than you could shake the proverbial stick at. And that's as it should be. It's normal - and it's right - for people to be proud of their offspring. Maybe even to hope that each normal childhood milestone may be the first indications of outstanding accomplishments to come. And children should always get positive and encouraging reinforcement from their parents. But unfortunately some take this too far and actually begin to "believe their own child's press..."  It can hurt if this happens, because then the child may not be probably prepared for life beyond Mom and Dad. One of the most important - if not THE most important - jobs parents face is preparing their child for the future. For a world where people will not smile everytime he walks in the door - or laugh at everything he says. For a world which will not believe he is anything but completely average - until he proves otherwise.  Parents need to believe that their children are wonderful at the same time they prepare them for a world which really won't.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 2

If any of this is to believed, that Bill thought Will would "take the school by storm" and was shocked that it didn't happen, this is a perfect example. 

On the other hand, every parent is hopeful that the first school experience will be just wonderful, and I can't imagine anyone telling their child, "Well, school might be great, or it might be terrible. Maybe you will find friends or maybe no one will like you. Who knows?" 

/half-kidding and half serious! 

Edited by CousinAmy
  • Love 2

If any of this is to believed, that Bill thought Will would "take the school by storm" and was shocked that it didn't happen, this is a perfect example. 

On the other hand, every parent is hopeful that the first school experience will be just wonderful, and I can't imagine anyone telling their child, "Well, school might be great, or it might be terrible. Maybe you will find friends or maybe no one will like you. Who knows?" 

/half-kidding and half serious! 

Understand completely. All kids should be hearing "Oh you are going to have so much fun in school..."  Bill's statement about Will "taking school by storm" was very surprising to me as well. I first thought - wow, he really is quite clueless about Will's situation, how he'll compare next to the average four-year old at this point in time. But then I thought maybe this statement was Bill "towing the company line" - that hopefully he and Jen have actually worked out beforehand exactly how much they are going to reveal about Will's issues and saying "Well, you know, we expected Will would have problems adjusting to his classroom, other kids etc at first..." of course would not be part of that.  

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 1

think the trip we saw last week to the pumpkin patch actually took place last August which is why the pumpkins were so small and no one was around so they could film Halloween too.  I guess we will see tomorrow night if there are other indications about the timing.

Pumpkin patches in and around the Houston area generally open the end of September and the first of October. 

• Love 2

Pumpkin patches in and around the Houston area generally open the end of September and the first of October. 

Dewberry Farms outside of Houston advertise they open in August, didn't check any others and they also could have filmed before they opened their doors to the public.  

Dewberry Farms outside of Houston advertise they open in August, didn't check any others and they also could have filmed before they opened their doors to the public.

Their website says they are open from September 27 to November 9 for the Fall season.

I wonder why Jen didn't take Will to see the pony at the pumpkin patch. He seemed to enjoy the pony at Zoey's birthday party. I think the division in that family just keeps getting bigger. You rarely see Jen do anything with Will.

I'm hoping she does things with Will, just not on-camera. Even during fun activities, more discipline is needed with Will, just becaue he's older than Zoey. My own theory is that Jen is more willing to be the disciplinarian in this family, but not necessarily publicly. And I really can't blame her. How many public figures discipline their kids - in public? Bill understands Will's issues but still doesn't seem willing - at this point - to forego being his best buddy. He really doesn't want Will seeing him, even briefly as it would be now, as "Mean Daddy." Jen is more realistic. She understands that parents need to establish who's in charge at the earliest possible point. I also think she now believes they may have delayed things this a little longer than they should have.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 1

I wonder why Jen didn't take Will to see the pony at the pumpkin patch. He seemed to enjoy the pony at Zoey's birthday party. I think the division in that family just keeps getting bigger. You rarely see Jen do anything with Will.

He went over to the horses at the same time when Zoey first did and then he told Bill that he wanted to go back to the pumpkins. Jen then asks Zoey if she wanted to go back to looking for pumpkins because WIll was going to and Zoey said "no" and turned back to the horses. 

I can't believe it's the season finale already... so that's only a month's worth of shows because they started this 'season' at the beginning of Dec right?

I think Bill and Jen are probably a bit more lax on their disciplining when the cameras are rolling.  Since the seasons are short that probably means they don't film that often.  It's hard to re-create a scene with small children so they do these one-day trips with the family to take up most of the storylines. 

• Love 3

I am doubting that Jen spends much time at all with the kids since she is working full time again. I was a bit surprised she went back to work full time as she was concerned about "bonding issues" right after they brought Will home.

I never posted in the forum about Jen and Bill Arnold and their two adopted children Will and Zoey, although I have watched the show many times and have enjoyed it for the most part. But lately I have observed some things that bother me to some degree about their parenting. I am sure I'll get a backlash from supporters praising their parenting styles but that's to be expected, they are after-all, reality show darlings.

I think that it's wonderful that this couple, who have had many personal struggles to overcome, to take on the immense task of raising two children with achondroplasia. They knew the risks and challenges that would lay ahead for them as parents of these two children. The children were basically un-adoptable in their own countries until Bill and Jen stepped in and instantly changed the course of the lives of these two children.

Jen and Bill were desperate to be parents, that is evident. They went through the infertility and surrogate routes, both which are extremely costly. Jen and Bill are also extremely well-to-do and can comfortably afford to built a new home that has been adapted for people of their stature including an elevator. They are able to purchase vehicles that have been specially equipped for both them and their two children. In other words, they are financially competent to provide these two children a life filled with luxuries that most people aren't able to provide to themselves or their children.

What I'm not really happy to witness is that Jen in particular is overly anxious to see these children not only succeed, but excel in all things. Sadly, just because she wants it to be so, doesn't mean it is so. Jen seems to overcompensate with both children. She asks them questions, but finishes the answer for them before they have a chance to speak. Speaking of which, neither of them really do speak very much considering that Will is four years old and Zoey is two. There are milestones for speech and language development and it seems to me that both Will and Zoey are experiencing delays in that development. I know that Will is being seen by a speech therapist and the Arnolds feel that this has helped Will a great deal.

Will seems to have a lack of attention and focus and is usually busy scurrying around the house rushing to get somewhere. I don't really see any significant corrections for improper behavior but rather a tolerance of it. The adults talk so fast and so much that the two children are hardly given the opportunity to speak for themselves. Jen found Will in the pantry taking two bags of Goldfish crackers and she clearly told him not to open those until later. He immediately disregarded her warning as if she'd never said it and opened a bag and dug in. It was first day of school and Jen commented that it was just not a good day to admonish him for this misbehavior, she didn't want a tantrum on the first day of school.

I think that Jen and Bill overindulge both kids but there's clearly a lack of response for bad behaviors. I've avoided saying the 's' word here intentionally since everyone loves the Arnolds and reveres them as great parents and good people, which they certainly are. But, here goes, I think they're spoiling these two kids and not in a good way. They will surely have difficulties relating to other children and if they're used to being given their own way, they will be faced with a problem communicating with children their own age.

.......just my 2 cents

Edited by HumblePi
  • Love 5

I think that Jen and Bill overindulge both kids but there's clearly a lack of response for bad behaviors. I've avoided saying the 's' word here intentionally since everyone loves the Arnolds and reveres them as great parents and good people, which they certainly are. But, here goes, I think they're spoiling these two kids and not in a good way. They will surely have difficulties relating to other children and if they're used to being given their own way, they will be faced with a problem communicating with children their own age.

You're not alone, many people have said the same things. I think it's too early to tell, because a lot of these behaviors will be noticed by their teachers, and together they and the parents can work on some of these issues. Yes, Will is nearly 5 but acts pretty much like a three-year-old. Bill and Jen did not have a huge background in child development, (although I know Jen is a pediatrician, but it's different being a Mom and dealing with it first hand) and thus are thrilled with whatever small steps the children make. But this is why a child goes to preschool (not daycare), to get them ready for kindergarten. And if Will isn't ready, it's not the end of the world. Either he takes another year in preschool (depending on what the laws are) or he will receive comprehensive services. (If not provided through the school system, Bill and Jen can certainly afford to see that he gets them.) 

The school might even help with nutrition counseling. 

One of the ways that children learn to focus their attention is through mastering a skill or sport, especially when there's a coach or teacher - like the swim teacher - there instead of Mom and Dad. So besides learning to swim, it's also helping his social/emotional development. 

I don't think Zoey is that far from the typical 3-year-old - she seems to be at the level of the 2 1/2 year olds in my preschool, just starting language, but bright and curious about everything. She's willful, but also silly and funny - "Happy Daddy!" - and I think she'll be fine when she's ready to enter kindergarten. 

• Love 2

I definitely think the Halloween show was filmed on Halloween, unless they made their neighbors dress in costume, decorated the neighborhood houses and what about those two kids that were trick or treating at the same time dressed as Spider-Man, I doubt they were plants.

Also, on Halloween night, I remember a Tweet and photo from Jen, with Will, her mom and her friend (Suzanne?) who was also on the show tonight, thanking them for going Trick or Treating with her.

I thought their Halloween costumes were adorable and Jen mentioned her mom helped make them. It just made me realize how her mom must have had to do a lot of sewing and altering of Jen's clothes and costumes growing up so she's probably a wiz at the sewing machine. Zoey has some great female role models in her family, very competent ladies.

• Love 5

I went to see the Book of Mormon musical last night - in it there is an african village community and one girl calls her dad Baba. Which kinda made me laugh because if it weren't for The Little Couple I would have had NO idea what she was saying lol 

• Love 3