Type keyword(s) to search

The Human Beings Known as the Arnold-Klein Family

• Start Topic

For me, I wouldn't do it because Galveston is 30-45 minutes from their home now. It would seem to be smarter to buy that and sell their home they built and let Jennifer commute, or just not buy it.

This depends on her position in the hospital.  If she actually lives in Galveston she would need a apt or something near the hospital and would at times be required to stay there a week at a time and often on weekends.  There are very specific guidelines on distance to the hospital.  In larger cities this actually means there are areas that are simply too far away.

• Love 1

The Arnold-Kleins are very wealthy. Celebrity Net Worth website says they are worth 3.5 million dollars. Because Jen is a doctor, they have every reason to believe that they will stay wealthy, even if the show ends. Many people in their financial bracket own vacation homes. Jen doesn't want a long commute to work. They discussed it when they decided on the location of the Houston house.

Storm damage is a risk with all beach homes. Many people obviously think living on the beach is worth the risk.

• Love 5

This depends on her position in the hospital.  If she actually lives in Galveston she would need a apt or something near the hospital and would at times be required to stay there a week at a time and often on weekends.  There are very specific guidelines on distance to the hospital.  In larger cities this actually means there are areas that are simply too far away.

But we know she wears a pager......LOL

Will was a natural in the pool--and he looks like he is slimming down in the tummy.  Poor Zoey, I feel the way she does about swimming pools!  

As for the beach house, while Galveston is 45-60 minutes away from Houston on a map, in reality its at least an hour drive sometimes more depending on traffic.  The freeway to and from Galveston has been under construction for the past 40 years and it just gets worse as more people make the commute.  And during Spring break, mardi gras or any other attraction to the water, you can count on sitting in traffic for as long as 3 hours just to get there.  Having a second home there is fine, but living there and working in Houston is not a good idea.  

• Love 3

I've never been a regular viewer of this show, but after watching a couple of episodes tonight, that will now change. This family restores my faith in humanity. I caught myself smiling like a fool throughout the entire show. At times I was tearing up for no real reason other than being touched by the wholesomeness and goodness of this family. Dear Lord, please don't ever let this family change from who they are right now, because right now they are just perfect.

https://t.co/qVGX36hJi0

Zoey counting

OMG, this is cuteness overload x 1000!
  • Love 8

The Arnold-Kleins are very wealthy. Celebrity Net Worth website says they are worth 3.5 million dollars. Because Jen is a doctor, they have every reason to believe that they will stay wealthy, even if the show ends. Many people in their financial bracket own vacation homes. Jen doesn't want a long commute to work. They discussed it when they decided on the location of the Houston house.

Storm damage is a risk with all beach homes. Many people obviously think living on the beach is worth the risk.

As an aside, Celebrity Net Worth makes up a lot of their data. I have no real insight into Jen or Bill's finances so I am not saying they aren't comfortable financially (I personally believe they are), but I just don't want people to think that website should be held as gospel.

• Love 3

I like the inside of the house. Jen has very good taste. It's furnished and decorated beautifully. However, I don't like the outside. I think it would be better to have more lawn space in the back. If they did, the children and dogs would have more room to play.

I'm the first to agree that Jen has very good taste - witness her wardrobe.  But I think it's also important to note that she had a healthy budget and extensive professional help with the house.  And her mom to supervise at least some of it.  IIRC Bill & Jen returned from something - fertility related? - to find the main floor of the house virtually finished. Even with an unlimited budget, if I was a doctor and didn't have a designer, I think I'd STILL be decorating THAT house today.

• Love 2

Wiki has their names listed as Bill Klein, Jennifer Arnold, Will Klein and Zoey Arnold. Does anyone know if this is what they officially go by?

Seems a little strange to give your kids different last names if they don't have different parents.

• Love 3

Wiki has their names listed as Bill Klein, Jennifer Arnold, Will Klein and Zoey Arnold. Does anyone know if this is what they officially go by?

Seems a little strange to give your kids different last names if they don't have different parents.

Actually a college friend of mine did this years ago with her kids. She did not take her husband's name when they were married, and they agreed that any boys would get his last name, and any girls hers.  And that's just what happened.  PS - they ended up having 2 girls and a boy.  At the time we all thought she was a radical feminist but over the years I've come to think that their plan was completely fair and equitable. Another friend of mine, an attorney who practices family law, told me that there is no law - at least in my state - requiring a woman to change her name upon marriage.  It is a purely-traditional practice only. And maybe one whose time has passed.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 7

I think there is too much of a divide in that family. They already do too much Bill & Will / Jen & Zoey. If this name thing is true, it drives the divide even further.

What we all liked about my friend's "policy" was that it was completely random, completely dependent on whether the baby was a girl or a boy. Which is still not something we can control - though I'm sure that day is coming.  Why should all children get the father's name?  In most cultures anyway.  Because it stems from literally centuries of tradition in which the male is the head - of everything.  And her point was "Why should this still be the case?"  Just something to think about.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 2

I think there is too much of a divide in that family. They already do too much Bill & Will / Jen & Zoey. If this name thing is true, it drives the divide even further.

It is a natural divide most times. My daughter was a girly type, my son was a boyish guy, they gravitated towards parents of the same species. It happens. My daughter's dad had no interest in fixing her hair and I had no interest in teaching my son about spark plugs.

• Love 5

I have to agree, the girl boy divide isn't that unusual or so startling and strange that I am jaw dropped shocked that Will prefers his daddy. I also will rock the boat here and note that *Bill* wants his *boy* to like cars and loves to note how he and *his boy* like manly things like cars and such. Not once has *Bill* been concerned on camera about zoey being gendered to frilly things and girls things, not one protest from Bill that Zoey should be encouraged to like anything that boys like. My point btw is that Jen catches a lot of flack over "wait till Zoey gets here"... I don't see Bill having any protest at all over it. I don't think the divide is something Bill hates at all.... And my vibe on Bill is that he wouldn't like it one bit if Will didn't like boy things like cars.

• Love 7

Yes if Will prefer dolls, Bill would be upset. And if Zoey hated pretty clothes, Jen would be sad. It is all working out folks!

This reminds me of that Marlo Thomas album from the late 70s or early 80s - Free to Be You and Me.  There was a song called "William's Doll" in which a little boy likes playing with a doll but is teased by his classmates about it.  Until his teacher speaks up - or a parent, I've forgotten - and tells the class "Well of course boys should be able to play with dolls.  After all, aren't they going to be fathers someday?  Playing with dolls will help them learn about babies - just as little girls learn about them..."  My kids in school - both boys and girls - LOVED this song...

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 3

This reminds me of that Marlo Thomas album from the late 70s or early 80s - Free to Be You and Me.  There was a song called "William's Doll" in which a little boy likes playing with a doll but is teased by his classmates about it.  Until his teacher speaks up - or a parent, I've forgotten - and tells the class "Well of course boys should be able to play with dolls.  After all, aren't they going to be fahers someday?  Playing with dolls will help them learn about babies - just as little girls learn about them..."  My kids in school - both boys and girls - LOVED this song...

I loved it too.  It was Will's Grandma (in the song) who got him a doll.  Here are the lyrics from that part.....

So William's grandma, as I've been told

Bought William a doll, to hug and hold

And William's father began to frown

But grandma smiled, and calmed him down

Explaining, William wants a doll

So when he has a baby someday

He'll know how to dress it, put diapers on double

And gently caress it to bring up a bubble

And care for his baby as every good father

Should learn to do

William has a doll, William has a doll

'Cause someday he is gonna be a father, too

• Love 4

This reminds me of that Marlo Thomas album from the late 70s or early 80s - Free to Be You and Me.  There was a song called "William's Doll" in which a little boy likes playing with a doll but is teased by his classmates about it.  Until his teacher speaks up - or a parent, I've forgotten - and tells the class "Well of course boys should be able to play with dolls.  After all, aren't they going to be fahers someday?  Playing with dolls will help them learn about babies - just as little girls learn about them..."  My kids in school - both boys and girls - LOVED this song...

It was a great song. My own children were little then so it was a good atmosphere not only for us raising our children but for the children with whom they played. It all worked out so nicely. 

• Love 2

I guess we know who gets who should that couple ever split, God forbid.  

There is an interesting article on Pinterest.  It's in the popular section.  I'm pretty technology challenged so I don't know how to post it here.  Anyhow, it's an interview post Will, pre Zoey and cancer.  They talk about filming, what their lives are like, and when they will quit the show.  The pictures with the article are cute too.  I enjoyed it. 

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

• Love 1

There is an interesting article on Pinterest.  It's in the popular section.  I'm pretty technology challenged so I don't know how to post it here.

I have no idea how Pinterest works! If someone can copy the link, it would be great to post it here. 

• Love 1

I guess we know who gets who should that couple ever split, God forbid.  

Jen and Bill aren't perfect, but I think they are probably perfect for each other. I'd be really surprised down the road to learn their marriage had failed. 

• Love 5

I like the inside of the house. Jen has very good taste. It's furnished and decorated beautifully. However, I don't like the outside. I think it would be better to have more lawn space in the back. If they did, the children and dogs would have more room to play.

I think they live on a corner lot and if that's the case they likely didn't have much of a backyard even if they opted to go without the pool. If you have a corner lot and want any sort of a backyard you really need to purchase a double lot.

I used to think I wanted a corner lot until I realized how little of space (and privacy) you have for a backyard. Which I guess is great if you hate mowing.

I think they live on a corner lot and if that's the case they likely didn't have much of a backyard even if they opted to go without the pool.

They seem to have a gigantic front yard. If they put up walls/gates around that, the kids would have tons of space to play. They seemed to be using only a little part of the yard near the driveway for Zoey's party.

• Love 1

I have to add a bit to the comments about Will liking cars and Zoey liking fashion. I learned that the one 'girl' gift that I bought all three of my sons, knowing from brother experience it would be a hit was... "Easy Bake Oven". I bet Will would love it, too. Of course my boys had most of the recipe packets eaten within the first three days. lol

Edited by Chalby
  • Love 2

They seem to have a gigantic front yard. If they put up walls/gates around that, the kids would have tons of space to play. They seemed to be using only a little part of the yard near the driveway for Zoey's party.

I was never more aware of how large the front yard was than when they put those gates up and corraled the animals for Zoey's party!  I thought why haven't they gated all or part of it before to put a play area.  I guess though in that case security, safety and privacy would become issues.  

I have to add a bit to the comments about Will liking cars and Zoey liking fashion. I learned that the one 'girl' gift that I bought all three of my sons, knowing from brother experience it would be a hit was... "Easy Bake Oven". I bet Will would love it, too. Of course my boys had most of the recipe packets eaten within the first three days. lol

Well we sure know Will would love baking his own CECK AND COUKEES!

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

Often there is no choice, depending on where you live. When we were having our house built, (corner lot on a cul de sac) in order to get the permitting from the county, there were codes in place that require that the house has certain setbacks from the street. Hence, we have a very large front yard and a tiny backyard. I was not happy about that and think it's rediculous. We have a pool in the backyard and that takes up the entire back yard. We had no choice in the matter. If we wanted a house on that particular lot, that is the way it had to be. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 3

When we were having our house built, (corner lot on a cul de sac) in order to get the permitting from the county, there were codes in place that require that the house has certain setbacks from the street.

The city where I lived also has codes that limit hedge rows, landscaping and fences.  I watched and even the temporary fence for the animals was around the side of the front yard away from the corner.

I wonder if they are permitted to put up a solid white fence for complete privacy? The children could certainly play in the front yard, although a picnic table and grill - which many people have in their backyards - might be a bit much there.

They don't seem to lack for opportunities to play, though. They seem to go to parks, the beach, and other outdoor attractions, and in school they'll probably have outdoor play, as well.

• Love 1
The children could certainly play in the front yard, although a picnic table and grill - which many people have in their backyards - might be a bit much there.

They don't even need to fence in the entire front yard. They could do the part closest to the back and some on the side of the house and still manage to expand what little backyard they have. I see that a lot around where I live. It still leaves a sizable front yard while expanding the back for kids or pets. Fences aren't ugly anymore and can be somewhat disguised/decorated with landscaping. It depends on the laws where you live, of course. Since I live in a historic district, only certain kinds of fencing or walls would be permitted around my home, for example.

Sorry for the double post ...

I just found an article of a preview for an upcoming episode (sorry if this episode has already been shown, I haven't watched any yet this season).

‘The Little Couple’ Preview: Dr. Jen Helps A Mother Save Her Baby’s Life

Jen seems so much more relaxed in her doctor environment than I have seen her when she is doing interviews.  I would probably be the exact same way.  HA!  I can tell just from this snippet that she seems to have a very good bedside manner.

• Love 3

That episode has already aired, BizBuzz, and it was made of awesome sauce.  I won't spoil it for you in case you watch, but Jen is certainly in her element, and the segment brought tears of joy to my eyes.

I agree.  Every hospital should have one of those simulators.  It would save a lot of lives.

• Love 3

I can't believe this just dawned on me, but - Have we heard anything from Bill and/or Jen on when/how they will tackle the "you-were-adopted" concept with Will and Zoey?  If I missed it, my apologies.  I know that most professionals recommend doing this at the earliest possible age so it is something the child is always just sort of "aware of."  More details can be explained as the child grows older, if and when he/she asks etc.  But at least the basic knowledge is out there very early.  To me, this seems like such an important topic and one they must be, at the very least, thinking about.  While I fully realize Bill & Jen are absolutely not required to share every detail of their life via the show, it seems that this issue is really a massive one for anyone who's adopted or thinking about it.  And there could be real educational value for them to speak about how they intend to handle it [and maybe they already have].  They have stated on numerous occasions that they do the show for educational reasons.  I personally would find it a little odd if this topic was never addressed on TV.  While I would be vehemently against their filming this, it would be interesting to hear how they went about it.  Or am I completely off-base here?  And this topic [like toilet-training] is simply too private, too personal?

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 2

I think it would be great for Jen and Bill to show Will and Zoey the episodes of the show dealing with their adoptions.  The kids are so lucky to have those shows to watch over and over as they get older.

• Love 4

Given Will and Zoey weren't adopted as new born infants and were well aware of the changes in their lives, I'd imagine they will always grow up with the knowledge they were adopted. It's not like they just showed up one day with Zoey and told Will he now had a sister, he was there and part of it. He seemed the least fazed by Zoey's adoption out of all of them, so he must have been told something. I highly doubt they are now acting like adoption is a four letter word and a giant hush hush topic in the home. 

• Love 4

Also its not as though um... there's not an entire tv season about their *adoption*. Gonna take a wild guess and say the Kleins probably will have to tell their kids that they are adopted.

An aside? Its not always that hard. A coworker was angsting how she was going to tell her daughter that she was really her niece that they adopted because the birth mom was a mess and I was jerkish and dismissive with "You could always use the old 'some people just have children and some people get to choose and we chose you!' stuff" and my coworker's eyes lit up. Sure enough, that's exactly the line she used... I didn't have the sheer bitter bile to tell her how cynical my response had been.

• Love 5

Will and Joey have clothes from their native countries, etc... it's part of the process IMO. They took a lot of pictures, etc as well. And Bill cooks food from their respective countries, or at least he did before.

I don't think I was very clear in my previous post.  I'm wondering specifically whether any posters/viewers think that Bill & Jen have actually begun to have the "adoption talk" with the children YET. From what has been shown on TV, it's not at all clear - to me at least - whether they have or not.  Of course, as I said, they're certainly not obligated to show this even if they have.

I'm not being critical in any way except to say if they haven't started yet, they probably don't want to wait too much longer.  The reason I'm concerned is that during my teaching career I knew four specific cases where children were in kindergarten and still had no idea they were adopted.  Even though the entire school staff and even some of the other parents in the class knew.  One of the adoptive mothers told me she had no intention of ever telling her child.  And I would venture to say that EVERY professional in the fields of child development, pediatrics, education, child psychiatry etc will confirm that not telling - or waiting to tell when the child is older - is usually a guarantee for disaster.  Virtually all experts say to start at the very youngest point possible.  My own first cousin was adopted but found out about it on the school bus when he was about 10, and hasn't been the same since [drugs, alcohol, trouble with the law etc].

Edited to add - I should say I can't believe the Kleins would not tell the kids - I'm only wondering whether they've started yet. From what I understand from some of the adoptive parents in my classroom, the advice they got was to start out saying things to the child virtually from the time he comes home - unless of course you adopt an infant.  And even then they advise to begin saying things as you talk to the baby and especially when he/she begins to babble and chatter back at you.  They're obviously not comprehending at that point but it's a good way to ease the poor nervous parents into the "adoption conversation."

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 2