Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Runaway

• Start Topic

Dexter’s method of protecting his son from drugs unleashes his Dark Passenger in a very impulsive way. Meanwhile Angela and Molly take a trip to New York City that leaves them wondering about a well-respected member of the community.

Original airdate 12/5/21 

I’m thrilled that we got a glimpse of Angel and hope this isn’t our last sighting. A bit too on the nose when Angel is talking to Angela and could identify Dexter if either of them only knew. Heavy-handed. As was Angel forgetting Harrison’s name. Angel was close to Dexter and Deb. There was incredible drama and trauma around their lives and deaths. Angel’s sister was Harrison’s nanny and it’s only been ten years. I seriously doubt that Angel has been able to forget anything. 

Other than that kind of a meh episode IMO. I did like the dynamic duo going to New York together but again, couldn’t suspend disbelief. I really hated the accidental drug overdose story even though I know that bad versions of opiates are running around the country and this is credible. It just somehow didn’t work for me and certainly not as a device to send the Dark Passenger flying off the handle in an operatic paternal fury. 

• Love 9

It would have been more interesting if the girl imprisoned this time had figured out a way to not be a victim. She tried, but she couldn't overpower the guy. I just don't like repeatedly seeing people we have developed sympathy for get killed by the same psycho. Time is past due for something bad to happen to the old psycho. 

Angel/Angela -- that can't be a coincidence, but I wonder the point of the similar names.

Maybe Angela will contact Angel and say she's found Dexter and just wants to know more about him. Lots of ways this could go, with this knowledge she now has. But there is basically no reason for her or Angel to think he's a killer. Probably Dexter will have a good alternate explanation as to why he left Miami and changed his identity that satisfies her, and that could be the end of it.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Useful 2
  • Love 5

Does Ecstasy come in capsules nowadays? I guess it could, but I've never seen it. All I've ever seen were pressed pills with fun designs on them.

So the cop just gave Harrison Narcan without any indication that he had taken opiods? (he only questioned the guy who gave Harrison the pills afterwards) That seems like a smart idea...

Dexter is getting really sloppy. The old Dexter would have never set up a kill room in the guys house if he knew the police were onto him. I'm not sure if that's deliberate or if the writers are just not as good as they used to be.

Also that kill really stretched the code. It was supposed to be about killers who got away and that guy was going to get caught and put away with multiple life sentences. Seems like Dex just wanted to desperatly kill somebody. But I think ghost-Deb should have acknowledged that if that was what we were meant to take away from it. She never shuts up about Dexter's failings at any other point.

And btw. if Dex really wanted to get the guys responsible for these deaths, who are most definitely going to get away with it, why doesn't he kill the politicians responsible for drug prohibition, who prevent safe and legal drugs from being sold to adults? Too much work?

Edited by Zonk
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I find the description a little misleading after the way the end of last episode went. I read it as Dexter's methods unleashed Harrison's Dark Passenger (which I didn't think made sense and I'm not yet convinced he has such a thing). But it's really just Dexter's. 

I definitely think there isn't a direct sexual component to the missing girls, but I do think he's getting an equivalent arousal and satiation from his ritual, which is why he freaked out when poor Chloe kept flipping the script.

• Love 3
34 minutes ago, Zonk said:

Dexter is getting really sloppy. The old Dexter would have never set up a kill room in the guys house if he knew the police were onto him. I'm not sure if that's deliberate or if the writers are just not as good as they used to be.

Well if he can see the cops pull up and still have time not just to clear out the kill room (without leaving something behind by accident) and re-dress the corpse and move him to another room, I guess he doesn't have much to worry, the way he can time warp his acts like that.

I really wondered though, he knew the vet and the vet knew him, so he took ketamine and if they autopsy the pill maker and the dealer, the pattern of both being injected with ketamine will raise all kinds of flags.  In fact if the dealer is alive, he can claim he never takes ketamine.

Didn't the special drug he used in Miami to inject his targets turn out be almost impossible to trace?  But I thought the properties were so unique that if it's not a widely used drugs, it should be easier to track.

I must have missed something, that Angela knew the name "Dexter Morgan" to look it up in the first place.  Did Angel say he worked with a Dexter Morgan who had a son named Harrison?

Odds are low that Dexter's old and new worlds would collide like that but maybe having Angel appear was fan service, especially if that's the one and only time we see him this season.

Also, Audrey in a room full of kids hopped up on multiple pills and booze finds it significant that Harrison, while being very high, said Jim Findlay is not his real name.  Harrison barely survived but she's going to remember Harrison saying that out of all the things happening that night?  And she tells Angela and she finds it to be a big deal?  Again, how did she know to search for Dexter Morgan?

Makes sense that she would be curious about her boyfriend.  But she also found on her trip that Caldwell was lying about Matt.  You'd think that would preoccupy her at least as much, considering she's the police chief.

Caldwell being so emo about The Runaways, especially the chorus, is a little too on the nose since he's the Runaway Killer.  But he apparently has people working for him, including the guy who pretended to be Matt.  Yet someone must have noticed how he always chats up these young women, offering them money and places to stay.  Again that cabin must be miles away from anyone else.  Nobody spots him herding these young women into some basement, hear the shots or see the footprints and the blood spilled.

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, aghst said:

I must have missed something, that Angela knew the name "Dexter Morgan" to look it up in the first place.  Did Angel say he worked with a Dexter Morgan who had a son named Harrison?

Angel said Det. Debra Morgan and her brother died. Her nephew Harrison survived. Dexter was never mentioned by name. So Angela searched Deb first...

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
49 minutes ago, aghst said:

Again that cabin must be miles away from anyone else.  Nobody spots him herding these young women into some basement, hear the shots or see the footprints and the blood spilled.

Dexter heard the shot when he was creating the blood trail... so the cabin is near Seneca Land and the highway

• Love 4

So, Kurt is another serial killer in town with strict rituals. Is he responsible for ALL the missing girls, including Iris? Then who is Ed Olsen?

Kurt to Harrison: "You have potential. Just pay it forward."

Harrison doesn't seem to fit Kurt's "runaway" profile. Is he going to be Kurt's next victim or the town's saviour?

Some clues from this episode:

• Molly's extensive knowledge on serial killers, she definitely knows more.
  • Harrison's interest in Ethan's kill list, will he be taking over that list?
  • Harrison quickly noticed the cut on Kurt's face.
  • The tension that's building up between Dexter & Logan.

Contrived moments:

• Chloe managed to find a giant piece of broken glass/mirror in her room. We know Kurt is so methodical, the room would have been cleaned before bringing in his next runaway girl.
  • Logan arriving just in time before Dexter could hurt both Miles and Jasper.
  • With history of drug use, Harrison should know better not to mix 2 or more substances.
  • Obnoxious teenagers threw Harrison a party because they were so grateful to be alive, one even asked him to carve his initial on her leg.
  • Dexter didn't trust Harrison re incident with Ethan, but he trusted him to go to the therapist by himself? And now Harrison got himself a serial killer as his therapist.
  • Miles must be the dumbest drug dealer ever. Dexter acted and asked him Qs like an undercover cop would do and he fell for it. 
  • Angel telling Angela about Debra Morgan and Harrison etc, nah... it's just too easy.
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 5

Hmm, I'm now wondering if last week was a misdirect and Harrison doesn't have a Dark Passenger. 

Kurt may not want sexy times from the girls (unless he does something with their dead bodies) but, he definitely gets aroused by it. The scene in the bar was creepy as hell.

I'm enjoying this season. Can't wait for the shit to hit the fan.

• Love 5

It seems definite that Harrison slashed Ethan first, not in reaction to an attack.

Has he killed already?  They're not saying yet.

He was going to leave town but Caldwell convinced him to stay because of a dinner and a job offer?

If he has a need to kill, it seems a small town is not the best place to evade capture, the presence of Dexter and Caldwell notwithstanding.

Too many people being murdered or going missing would be too obvious and attract LEO attention, not to mention podcasters like Molly.  But there would be a lot of national media and that would bring state police and FBI.

It's easier to drop a lot of bodies in Miami before the cops notice.

• Love 2

Nice seeing Batista again. I'd love for Dexter to see him but I don't know that maybe have been it for him.  One of my favorite moments of the whole series was in S2 when Dexter told him if he could be someone he would be him. 

So does Clancy Brown won't to maybe mentor Harrison? He did tell him he saw potential in him.  

Dexter knows about the Runaway song now. Maybe he will hear it one night when hunting is going on and get a clue. I am glad a few have learned he is not Jim though. Stuff happened this episode and it is getting better but I think this would have been better to binge. The first few episodes were tough and things still seem to be moving at a slow pace. Hopefully the next 5 pick up more.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Zonk said:

The old Dexter would have never set up a kill room in the guys house

Exactly my thought. I also thought before he said it that the guy deserved to die just for that wallpaper. I liked that hint of the old Dex snarky VO.

Aside from much improbable events and nonsense - no vet would tell a patient to just go into the dispensary and take whatever they like and surely the vet knows exactly the number of bottles there unless she tells everyone she knows to just help themselves - I think this ep was better than the last one for a few reasons and - !ANGEL!. It was like seeing an old friend. I think he was comparing Angela to Maria or probably Deb, but both were much smarter at cop work and they also would never have enlisted the aid of some uber-annoying (to me, anyway) blog girl civilian to assist in investigations.

48 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

One of my favorite moments of the whole series was in S2 when Dexter told him if he could be someone he would be him. 

I mentioned that previously in another thread. I so agree it was one of the best, most touching moments, one of the very few where Dexter was honest.

So Dexter's world is starting to unravel. No one can hide forever. The OS was always at its best when he was in hot water, the way he is now but I'm sure he'll come up with some lies to convince Angela he had a good reason to fake his death and take on this identity. Trauma, depression, making a new start, new name, etc.

He's lucky the cops there remain such slackjaws, which will probably enable him to get away with murder again.

I am mildly interested in who Caldwell sent to the hotel to play his son and why.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, aghst said:

Didn't the special drug he used in Miami to inject his targets turn out be almost impossible to trace?  But I thought the properties were so unique that if it's not a widely used drugs, it should be easier to track.

It was M-99, a very powerful animal tranquilizer and apparently he had to sign for it, which he did, using the identity and name "Patrick Bateman". He didn't need to worry about it being traced since the bodies containing it went into the ocean.

• Like 1
  • Useful 3
  • Love 2

They said there have been a lot of runaways missing, killed, and the chief's own best friend but yet have never put it together that it has to be someone local or localish - and most like not a Seneca? How does Kurt have a cabin in the woods that no one knows about if this has been going on for ages? It's the sticks, but he has to live somewhere, not to mention the gunshots - although that could be somewhat explained by hunting, but no one but Dex/Jim has heard it? 

I think Kurt will try to get Harrison over to the dark side, maybe to lure the girls away. Even though there doesn't seem to be a huge sexual component, girls/young women seem to be easier prey, and Harrison's cute enough. I'd like to think that if I were a young girl, I'd be creeped out by an older guy wanting to take me to his house...no matter if he's as old as my grandpa. Maybe he left the piece of mirror there on purpose to give the girls a false sense of hope. They most likely never seem to need it when they get outside. What does he do with their bodies in the snow? How does he bury them? Remove all the blood from the snow?  

Loved seeing Angel!! Yeah, a bit (lot) too on the nose. He would never forget Harrison's name, and it was sloppy of Dex not to change Harrison's name when he got there. Harrison is too unique. 

If I were a parent, I'd still be upset at my kid if they were at a party where fentanyl was, even if she was the one to call in Harrison's OD.  

I do not like Deb, and everything she says grates on my nerves. I guess that's the point.

• Love 7
33 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Is it too much to hope that Harrison meets the same fate as those girls?

Hey, we all had hopes about something like that during the Great Harrison Oww! Treadmill Incident.

44 minutes ago, Kristi800 said:

How does Kurt have a cabin in the woods that no one knows about if this has been going on for ages? > What does he do with their bodies in the snow? How does he bury them? Remove all the blood from the snow? 

I guess we're expected to use the same suspension of disbelief we needed in the OS. It was much easier to do then with a show so unique, original, and filled with black humour wittiness - easier to just enjoy and not question.

I know this show has a limited run, but it seems they're always trying to cram too much, too fast into each episode, i.e. Angel, meet Angela and immediately spill the beans about Harrison and so about Dexter too. Makes you wonder how many lies Dex has told to Angela about his former life.

• Love 5

Did anybody catch the end credits? Was that MCH singing?

Yeah, I dunno - gallows humor hits differently these days, but I'm enjoying this, I guess...? For now, "not a good as Seasons 1&2" is still good enough.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I know this show has a limited run, but it seems they're always trying to cram too much, too fast into each episode, i.e. Angel, meet Angela and immediately spill the beans about Harrison and so about Dexter too. Makes you wonder how many lies Dex has told to Angela about his former life.

I am frustrated with show because I find it suffers from what the later Dexter series did, stupidity. They audience is much smarter than the show. The Angel discussion was painful and I always thought it was dangerous and unlikely for Dexter to be dating a cop.  It is also pushing my disbelief regarding serial killers everyplace that Dexter goes. 

Based on the first 5 episodes I am expecting this to wrap as stupidly as the series. I only hope Dexter is caught at the end.

• Love 6

I know people don’t like the Deb as dark passenger but she represents something different for Dexter then Harry did.  Harry was always the “this is going to happen again” dark passenger but also the calming voice in his head.  Deb is the “this can never happen again you monster.” Voice of guilt and shame after losing everyone and everything he actually did care about.    But now that he might lose the facade of the life he has been living and be forced to go back to being Dexter Morgan and there is likely to be a mystery he needs to solve in the horizon who knows what voice Deb might represent.

As for Harrison I can go either way on what kind d of person he is.  Whether the attack on his friend was on purpose or an accident or both.  Or maybe it was on purpose and he realized he “felt something” that he doesn’t have dark passenger but he also has no one to talk to but someone who he probably shouldn’t be.   Which might end badly for him.  What would Dexter do if he found out another psychopath was grooming his son?  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Useful 1
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, AuntieMame said:

I’m thrilled that we got a glimpse of Angel and hope this isn’t our last sighting. A bit too on the nose when Angel is talking to Angela and could identify Dexter if either of them only knew. Heavy-handed. As was Angel forgetting Harrison’s name. Angel was close to Dexter and Deb. There was incredible drama and trauma around their lives and deaths. Angel’s sister was Harrison’s nanny and it’s only been ten years. I seriously doubt that Angel has been able to forget anything. 

Other than that kind of a meh episode IMO. I did like the dynamic duo going to New York together but again, couldn’t suspend disbelief. I really hated the accidental drug overdose story even though I know that bad versions of opiates are running around the country and this is credible. It just somehow didn’t work for me and certainly not as a device to send the Dark Passenger flying off the handle in an operatic paternal fury. 

I found it plausible that high school kids were taking fentanyl and thinking it was just Oxycontin (not like that's much better).  Honestly, the "ecstasy" worried me more since MDMA hasn't been legal in quite a while and could be anything.  Still, Harrison being a street-smart survivor and just taking whatever drugs are offered him doesn't add up to me, even if it seems plausible for teenaged behavior.  I keep wondering if he isn't following the code himself.

• Love 2

I'm not minding this season with the exception of Debra. I honestly can't handle her shrieking during every single appearance. In the first series when his dad would talk to him it was calm and coaching. Reminders of why he does this. Now it's like "Oh great, here's Debra to start screaming about how he's an asshole again. Fun." - it's at the point where I can't even imagine why the actress would want to be on this show. "Hey you're one note and you show up for a few minutes every episode and you're constantly at 11 and screaming at Dexter and then you disappear again."

• Love 10
3 hours ago, BooBear said:

Based on the first 5 episodes I am expecting this to wrap as stupidly as the series.

I fear you may be right. I never thought I could actually get angry over a TV show the way I did at Se08. It was insulting and listening to the showrunners idiotically laughing and patting each other on the back for that utter garbage was galling. 

3 hours ago, BooBear said:

I only hope Dexter is caught at the end.

Me too. I hung on for the last season in hopes of seeing him get what he deserved, not for the murders but for ruining the lives of everyone around him.

So Angel decided that being a restaurateur wasn't for him after all. Heh.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

I don't think Harrison is an intended victim. He was the talk of the town before the OD and his so-called act of heroism. Even given his sketchy past, his disappearance would be noticed and warrant an investigation and manhunt. Plus at this point Kurt still likes Dexter/Jim and until he figures out that he killed Matt has no reason to use Harrison as a means of vengeance.

Today's Kurt is on par with yesterday's Dexter in terms of having a personal code of ethics and a means of satisfying his bloodlust without getting caught. He preys on homeless low-profile/income female runaways after they reject his initial generosity. In Chloe's case he gave her money to leave town, then when she used it to buy a coat and returned to milk him for more cash, he offered her a chance to earn the money honestly. If Chloe had left town with the original $80, or took him up on being a waitress, she could have survived, IMO, but she failed the test and so he sentenced her to death. Maybe it's because Matt turned out so spoiled, or he has some weird festering resentment of women he believes are just using men for money. Maybe in his mind he is ridding society of ungrateful leeches who run from hard work, perhaps telling himself he is giving his victims the "gift" of initiative to fight for themselves and the life they took for granted on their last day, even though it's futile. Idk, I'm not a serial killer (or am I????), but he sure seems to be convinced he is on a righteous mission and not just some run-of-the-mill murderer.

At first I thought he got off to the bodies, and he is certainly aroused in some way, but I don't think it's a black and white sexual thing. He was genuinely distressed when Chloe tried to seduce him. I think the careful embalming process might have more to do with justifying his actions, paying respects to the prey or whatever. Possibly creating a displayable trophy (I really hope not but it would explain why he was so mad that Chloe's face was ruined). 

Anyway, I feel like his interest in Harrison is because he wants to try his hand at being a mentor/father figure to the "right sort" of person, and if Harrison does have a dark passenger then Dexter and Caldwell will be competing to nurture that side of him to their own preferences.

The cold must be killing Dexter's brain cells if he thinks he thinks murdering a random small-town dealer who doesn't even know Harrison's name is going to make any god damn bit of difference to the world. Please don't interpret that as me being pro-illegal drug trade, lol. I realize it is hugely harmful to society. I'm just saying the small fish don't fit the code. They are not cartel, not kingpins, not Mafia, not remorseless sadists with no capacity to change. For the most part they're just down on their luck, very possibly addicts themselves, who figure that their clientele know the inherent risks of buying unregulated narcotics from the streets. I get the guy fucked with his son but if Harrison is going to relapse he can find another dope man in no time.

Edited by The Mighty Peanut
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10

I believe he embalms them, so the incinerator is out. I wonder if he keeps them somewhere or if he drops them in the mineshaft that Dexter wanted to use?

Oh right. forgot about that...but adds more questions - generally, I'm pretty easy when it comes to suspending belief, but here, not so much. Small town no matter where you are = people up in your business even if they claim you can "be who you want to be". He must ship them in himself somehow...hope it doesn't go down in the middle of the Canadian wilderness. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Maybe, if Harrison is savvy enough, gets close enough and sees enough clues…..he and Dad can collaborate on a joint mission to take Kurt out.  Or, maybe there’s another case of self-defense. 🥴

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

Today's Kurt is on par with yesterday's Dexter in terms of having a personal code of ethics and a means of satisfying his bloodlust without getting caught. He preys on homeless female runaways after they reject his initial generosity

Your entire post is spot on. I think you nailed it.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, EdnasEdibles said:

I'm not minding this season with the exception of Debra. I honestly can't handle her shrieking during every single appearance. In the first series when his dad would talk to him it was calm and coaching. Reminders of why he does this.

It doesn't bother me because, she's about extension of Dexter's mind. This Dexter is in a much different mind space than he was with Harry. Back then it was all about control and remembering the code, etc. Dexter was feeding his appetite.  Now it's like he's fighting with his own mind.

I don't find her annoying or anything it's just interesting to me to watch Dexter fight his basic urges. 

• Like 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

He preys on homeless low-profile/income female runaways after they reject his initial generosity

A big part of his ritual, or turn-on, seems to observing them in his little prison after they realize they are trapped. Otherwise why bother going through all that? He could just take them as far as the cabin and then shoot them outside. Chloe ruined his ritual so he was pissed off and frustrated.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ShadowHunter said:

Deb is still one of the worst things about the season.  I wish they would have just left her out or only showed her a few times. 

I couldn't agree more and would even go as far as to say that to be used in this capacity--that is to say, a one-woman highway billboard for her brother's guilt and self-hatred--is an insult to Deb's memory. Aside from the stupid incest plot, Deb was a great character. She was not always likable or consistent but she had that way about her where her inner struggle was on the outside and it made her so interesting. Now she's just a bully who exists to remind Dexter that he is an asshole with blood on his hands. It's kind of a shame.

• Love 6

The title is a giant anvil... Harrison is the Mother Of Dragons New Blood. Caldwell & Dexter die. Douchebag billionaire adopts Harrison and uses him to kill environmentalists around the world....

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, lyric said:

Did anybody catch the end credits? Was that MCH singing?

Yes it was. Runaway ended with "Ketamine", a single from MCH's band - Princess Goes To The Butterfly Museum.

Fun fact: The 1st and the 101st episode of Dexter are the only ones without the Blood Theme in their closing credits. 

Edited by SnazzyDaisy
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, The Mighty Peanut said:

Aside from the stupid incest plot, Deb was a great character.

Ugh. Even the morons running this finally realized no one wanted to see the uber-squicky incest thing, so they dropped it and found lots of other ways to destroy Deb in favour of the detested Hannah. I just hope we don't have to see HER ghost flitting around and listen to protestions of the great, undying love she and Dexter shared. 🤢

56 minutes ago, paigow said:

Douchebag billionaire adopts Harrison and uses him to kill environmentalists around the world....

That might be a better show than this one!

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, ShadowHunter said:

Deb is still one of the worst things about the season.  I wish they would have just left her out or only showed her a few times. 

Can a ghost kill another ghost?  Lol. Maybe, Hannah will emerge to yell at Harrison and she and Deb can have a show down?  🤬

• LOL 4
13 hours ago, EdnasEdibles said:

it's at the point where I can't even imagine why the actress would want to be on this show. "Hey you're one note and you show up for a few minutes every episode and you're constantly at 11 and screaming at Dexter and then you disappear again."

Well… she is MCH’s ex-wife, so maybe she enjoys getting paid to yell at him?

It was nice to see Angel again, but dropping Harrison’s name came across as a giant plot contrivance.

Dexter is getting SO sloppy! WTF was he thinking, going after that first guy in the bar parking lot IN BROAD DAYLIGHT?! And then the other one right in the guy’s house, knowing the cops would be coming there to look for him? And how the hell did he have the time to dismantle the kill room, dress the guy, and drag him to his computer?

7 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

Yes it was. Runaway ended with "Ketamine", a single from MCH's band - Princess Goes To The Butterfly Museum.

After watching the Ketamine video, all I can say is WTF did I just watch? Couldn’t make any sense of what was going on.

• Useful 3
  • Love 7

There seems to be an epidemic with poor writing  in television.  I’m not sure what the problem is, because an average person with modest skills would realize some of these stories/scripts are crazy.  It would just take a little while to think it through….do some brain storming….and you know, be clever.  Certainly, there are clever writers out there.  They just don’t seem to be writing for NBC, CBS, AppleTV, or Showtime right now.  Lol The pay must be really lousy.  

• Love 4
8 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

There seems to be an epidemic with poor writing  in television.  I’m not sure what the problem is, because an average person with modest skills would realize some of these stories/scripts are crazy.  It would just take a little while to think it through….do some brain storming….and you know, be clever.  Certainly, there are clever writers out there.  They just don’t seem to be writing for NBC, CBS, AppleTV, or Showtime right now.  Lol The pay must be really lousy.  

I am starting to think it is a communist plot to destroy joy. Because even writers that were good previously are now only blah.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, CarpeFelis said:

Dexter is getting SO sloppy! WTF was he thinking, going after that first guy in the bar parking lot IN BROAD DAYLIGHT?! And then the other one right in the guy’s house, knowing the cops would be coming there to look for him? And how the hell did he have the time to dismantle the kill room, dress the guy, and drag him to his computer?

THIS. The entire kill room scene, I was severely distracted by the fact that Dexter hadn't laid any plastic underneath the guy ON the actual wooden table. How was he going to clean up that mess??? I know it was likely so he could dramatically "thunk" his knife into the wood when he realized his plan was foiled, but Dexter is no longer the elite killing machine I knew and loved. 

I absolutely LOVED seeing Angel but that whole scene was so contrived as was the entire trip to Manhattan. Angela really is the dumbest Keystone Kop around. 

On 12/5/2021 at 11:25 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

Is it too much to hope that Harrison meets the same fate as those girls?  🙀 I’ll show myself out now…..lol.

May I sit with you? 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

Dexter at least has dropped the whole blood between the two slides thing. I was hoping he'd drop the plastic thing. I've always thought it was such an overdone part of the ritual it was ridiculous.

Kurt said to Harrison "Just pay it forward" -- the same thing he said to the latest runaway girl. Probably a fake out by the writers to make people think he'd be the next kill. But their fake outs often have some element of truth. He's going to use Harrison in some way to further his psychosis, but probably not trying to kill him - at least not for one of his rituals.

So the guy plays *"Runaway"* in the bar, and the bartender tells Dexter he does this a lot. She even predicts the song. The writers could have had Dexter astutely becoming suspicious about that - at the same time he did get to wondering about the guy dancing and in good spirits even after the death of his son. He just didn't go the extra step. Yes, just someone playing a song like Runaway would not normally make one suspicious, but together with other things, such as in general Dex knows that the guy is a weird old bird, he could have kept thinking about it, but apparently the problems with his son were distracting. Maybe when word comes of this new runaway killing next episode, Dex will remember, and will put two and two together and start looking into it.

Edited by Pike Ludwell
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2