Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E08: Reset

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Joe struggles to support Amy through a devastating loss. After Cop Joe and Amy's decision to turn Bobby in, they both face unexpected blowback. Nurse Joe helps someone from his past. Jenny tries to impress her law professor.

Original airdate 11/15/21 

Rocker Joe: So how did Amy get the watch in the first place? Wouldn’t the hospital (or funeral home) have given the widow Bobby’s personal effects? And couldn’t Regina get the watch out of the coffin after the funeral?

Nurse Joe: Jenny should have said to the Professor, “And one became Secretary of State.” What a witch.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Rocker Joe: So how did Amy get the watch in the first place? Wouldn’t the hospital (or funeral home) have given the widow Bobby’s personal effects? And couldn’t Regina get the watch out of the coffin after the funeral?

Nurse Joe: Jenny should have said to the Professor, “And one became Secretary of State.” What a witch.

Amy had the watch because the hotel found it in her hotel room and sent it to Eric, and he gave it to Amy. He clearly knew something was up. It didn't appear that they had gone to a cemetery yet, so hopefully the wife could get the watch out. I agree it was crappy of Amy to not try and return the watch to the wife, even though her speech about it always being ahead of its time was nice.

I was impressed they had Amy tell Joe she slept with Bobby. Shows almost never have a person admit something like that so soon, usually they drag it out for weeks and then the spouse finds out from someone else.

In Nurse Joe universe, I actually thought Jenny was annoying and the professor had a point. Is the professor supposed to let Jenny get away with not knowing her stuff because she's a woman? Apologize for the phone going off and move on. Now she's made a enemy.

The stuff with Uncle Frank is sad, even though he's an ass in the Cop universe. 

• Love 7
46 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

I was on the Professor's side. Jenny was distracted and didn't mute her phone during class. Then she went to apologize but then tried to excuse her behavior by throwing that she is a working mom.

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, nilyank said:

I was on the Professor's side. Jenny was distracted and didn't mute her phone during class. Then she went to apologize but then tried to excuse her behavior by throwing that she is a working mom.

I’m a university instructor, and I would never belittle someone like that before the entire class.

• Love 8

I see what the Professor was getting at; I had a professor who hated when someone left their phone on ring and she would call people out on turning off their phones during class, and that was in a much larger lecture hall than the one Jenny's in. However, the way the professor handled it was completely over the line and inappropriate. Yes, Jenny bringing up the fact that she's a working mom was just an excuse and it seemed like she could have been using it for sympathy points, but the professor's reaction was not right and made her look worse than Jenny did. Unless this has been going on for weeks and Jenny's phone has constantly been an issue, there was zero reason for the professor to respond to Jenny in that manner. 

I'm glad Rocker Amy told Rocker Joe the truth. I can't really blame Bobby's wife for being that upset and taking Amy's place in Congress. The Rocker storyline got marginally better, but I think it helped that there was no Rocker Jenny or secret son stuff this week. Amy may have made some very bad choices in this timeline, but Jenny is the worst version of herself, and it's sad to see when she's good in the others.

But I wonder how Amy/Joe are going to get past this. Joe looked pissed, and rightfully so. 

The Cop Joe story is still fairly strong. It's an interesting contrast from Nurse Joe's Frank and Cop Joe's Frank. And especially seeing Rocker Joe's Frank be more put together, I wonder how Frank fell apart in this timeline but not the Rocker timeline.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Amy’s dad must have had the world’s worst attorney if he got convicted and went to prison.

I wondered this myself.  If he didn't do what he was accused of doing, surveillance or eyewitness accounts could have exonerated him.  Although, if it turns out he had a public defender, he might have been told to plead no contest since it would only be 2 years and he's be back with his family again.  I was annoyed when Little Amy threw the rock.  Not smart, although if I had been the cop, I might have let it slide under the circumstances and just had a chat with her as an aside.

Speaking of Amy insulting the musical legacy of Billy Joel:  BLASPHEMER!  

When Cop Amy was sleeping at Joe's house, why in his room??  A little disrespectful of his mom I think - like she couldn't sleep in Celeste's old room?

Amusing how Eric and Mrs. Diaz right away figured out what happened!  Part of me felt a bit of schadenfreud when Mrs. Diaz not only chewed her out for sleeping with her husband (even if it was just once) but for wanting to bury the watch rather than giving it back and letting the son have it.  She can get it back before the coffin is shipped to DC.  I didn't expect Amy to come clean to Joe about the affair;  I half expected it to be blackmail from Mrs. Diaz - especially since she's taking her hubby's seat.  I still think she is the one who had Carrie killed.  I'm curious how they'll work things out.

I was also surprised at Jenny's dad being a bit nice to Joe and even admitting he was wrong!!  Also generous to help Frank out.  Let's hope he accepts.

I hated Nurse Jenny here, first trying to excuse being a single mom to her professor (wait, I thought she and Joe patched things up?).  Yes she was a bit harsh, but lots of people get their educations while being parents (single or otherwise) and having day jobs.  I hate pathetic excuses.  I had a giggle at the professor telling her that she and Madeline Albright went to college together, and Professor graduated at the top of her class!! 

In the Cop Joe universe, interesting that Eric and Amy tried to get pregnant but no luck.  Maybe Amy does have some physical issues that keep her from conceiving or carrying to term.  She miscarried twice in the Rocker universe.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Amy’s dad must have had the world’s worst attorney if he got convicted and went to prison.

The system is not fair to Black and Brown people. 

Amy and Joe are so charming together. Love their budding relationship in Cop. It was nice to see them interact in Nurse. I'm glad that Amy came clean to Joe in Rocker, and I hope that he can forgive her and they can move past this. He didn't cheat, but sometimes these things are a two-way street and he lied and neglected his wife which pushed her into another man's arms for one regrettable night.

Jenny set women back trying to use the working mom excuse. Everyone knows to put the phone on silent in class. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 3

I still shake my head at that law school’s semester starting in November! 
But Madeleine Albright became Secretary of State and a world respected statesman. The law professor just teaches at a law school that has a weird semester set-up. I stand by my belief that the professor acted like a witch.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, magicdog said:

I hated Nurse Jenny here, first trying to excuse being a single mom to her professor (wait, I thought she and Joe patched things up?).

I think she said she was a working mom, not a single mom. She was still being ridiculous, though. Say sorry and leave it at that, Jenny.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, magicdog said:

I was also surprised at Jenny's dad being a bit nice to Joe and even admitting he was wrong!!  Also generous to help Frank out.  Let's hope he accepts.

I still don't get though why the help he's giving isn't helping his daughter go to law school locally which would obviously be a better solution.

4 hours ago, funnygirl said:

The system is not fair to Black and Brown people. 

I mean I agree but they were literally in a public place surrounded by thousands of people for hours.  Pre cell phone cameras but some people would have had handheld cameras and photographs.   Maybe he agreed to the plea deal to make sure Amy's record got expunged but she was such a young child usually that kind of thing isn't terribly hard to get expunged.   

Wonder how her father's record though is going to play in her campaign.   

Even when Amy was giving her speech I was thinking, I mean wouldn't one of his kids want that watch?  

• Love 1
22 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I’m a university instructor, and I would never belittle someone like that before the entire class.

Law school instruction has traditionally been very confrontational. The Socratic method is very much used and one of the rites of passage as a One L is to be asked to stand in front of 100 other students in the large section and answer hard questions. 

The professor was not any more belittling than law professors I had. In fact Jenny deserved it because she obviously was not prepared and couldn't answer what were pretty much obvious questions of fact. She hadn't read the cases. The only thing that would be different is that in general you learn law through the case law method so typically someone would be asked to explain the facts and issues and the others would be called upon to critique or defend the reasoning of the judge in the case. But an obviously unprepared student or one who gave didn't understand the principles the case law was illustrating was fodder for ridicule. 

Allbright never went to law school so it was a bit confusing as to when their academic careers intersected but the professor went to law school at a time when she was pioneering and no woman would EVER have attempt to excuse her lack of preparedness on her being a woman because that is exactly what many of the professors and male students actually thought - that women had no place in law school or med school and were just taking up a place that should go to a more deserving man. And so Jenny insulting the professor by implying the professor was a misogynist was really disgusting - at least in my opinion and my personal experience.

Edited by amarante
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6

I thought the metaphor about the time change was weak. We're just going to Spring forward, and what happens then? Everyone will think about how the watch buried with Bobby is on the right time again. They'll also wonder if it's still working or if it's one of those that needs wound. Hardly inspirational, Amy.

I can't decide if I like the show or not. We have 9/11, an assassination, a murdered staffer, a disabled child, the adoption of a child the father didn't know existed, police corruption, political corruption, an affair, drug abuse, miscarriages, a missing sister, a long distance marriage... does Cop Jenny's husband know Joe is the father? (Cop Joe doesn't know yet, either, correct?) We're on episode 8 of a 30 minute program. It's a little overwrought.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, amarante said:

Law school instruction has traditionally been very confrontational. The Socratic method is very much used and one of the rites of passage as a One L is to be asked to stand in front of 100 other students in the large section and answer hard questions. 

No need to lecture me about law school. I went to law school. I know all about it. I was a lawyer. Now I teach. I stand by my opinions.

• Love 3

I didn’t like Amy’s speech at the funeral, it seemed to be more about her than about Diaz.  I think it was really self centered of her to not return the watch to his widow.  I think it’s good that the widow decided to agree to fill out his term.  I don’t like this version of Amy much.  I am glad she told joe about sleeping with Diaz.  
teenage Amy seemed a little hotheaded, throwing the rock was really stupid.  

uncle Joe in the nurse timeline looks about ten years younger than the other version, even though he looks very ill.  

Edited by CattyK
  • Love 4
On 11/17/2021 at 12:17 AM, Kiddvideo said:

I thought the metaphor about the time change was weak. We're just going to Spring forward, and what happens then? Everyone will think about how the watch buried with Bobby is on the right time again. They'll also wonder if it's still working or if it's one of those that needs wound. Hardly inspirational, Amy.

I thought it was particularly weak when Amy told Cop!Joe to change his clock or he'd be late for work the next day.  Uh, no.  If you forget to move your clock back, you're going to be an hour EARLY.  I know math is hard, but that was a pretty bad flub.  At least Rocker!Joe Amy was correct in saying they were ENDING Daylight Savings Time...most people think that every time the clocks change, it must be Daylight Savings!  Nope, sometimes we are going back to Standard Time.

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, Lovecat said:

I thought it was particularly weak when Amy told Cop!Joe to change his clock or he'd be late for work the next day.  Uh, no.  If you forget to move your clock back, you're going to be an hour early.  I know math is hard, but that was a pretty bad flub.

Yes, I noticed that too. Why do writers do that? They don't review what they write or they think viewers cannot think. 

• Love 7

Okay, I don't know what it is, but I am a fan of this show  - not hate watching it anymore.

However, it's not gonna get renewed and it is probably gonna end on a cliffhanger - and a pre-post mortem for the show is that, as many have said, is that they should've had two timelines at most. I mean even Nurse Joe as a drama by itself could've been a good show - since Nurse Joe timeline is honestly the most engaging and I think it is my favorite.

Jenny in NurseJoe timeline was ridiculous - she should've had her phone on vibrate and not on her desk. Nobody else had their phone out, she should've had it in her purse and only checked it if someone kept calling (Can you see if you are getting a call on your iPhone from a macbook?) by politely leaving the room to check your phone/call the person back. It was just disrespectful of her.

I am also glad to see that they are giving HRG some depth - a good actor deserves some good scenes!

Rocker - I am surprised to see that Amy told him so quickly about the cheating and I am shocked that she put that watch in his casket, even though she knew it was a family heirloom. Why couldn't the wife just go back to the casket after everyone had left, play the grieving widow, and grab the watch out?

• Love 2

Rockstar Amy really had that coming from Bobby's wife, and even before she mentioned it I was surprised that Amy was waving around the watch, the evidence of the hook up, around at the funeral and then tossed a family heirloom into the casket without asking the family. I am glad that she told Joe the truth though, I thought that with Bobby dead she would never bring it up. Its like either Joe or Amy have to be the prick and the other one has to be awesome, and now its Joe's turn to be awesome and Amy's to be a prick. 

Jenny's professor was out of line calling her out so publicly in class, but oh my God Jenny put your phone on silent or at least turn it off when the phone goes off. I also thought it was crappy of Jenny to try and play the "women should support women" card, the professor shouldn't cut her slack just because she's a woman or a working mom. 

Uncle Frank in the nurse Joe story is probably the biggest change in any of the characters so far, I guess in Rockstar Joe's story Frank was able to find purpose being Joe's security guy the way he never found it in the Nurse story. Look at Jenny's dad taking a break for being a prick, its a daylight savings miracle. 

Cop Joe and Amy are still my favorite couple by far.

The time change metaphor was pretty forced. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Rockstar Amy really had that coming from Bobby's wife, and even before she mentioned it I was surprised that Amy was waving around the watch, the evidence of the hook up, around at the funeral and then tossed a family heirloom into the casket without asking the family. I am glad that she told Joe the truth though, I thought that with Bobby dead she would never bring it up. Its like either Joe or Amy have to be the prick and the other one has to be awesome, and now its Joe's turn to be awesome and Amy's to be a prick. 

Jenny's professor was out of line calling her out so publicly in class, but oh my God Jenny put your phone on silent or at least turn it off when the phone goes off. I also thought it was crappy of Jenny to try and play the "women should support women" card, the professor shouldn't cut her slack just because she's a woman or a working mom. 

Uncle Frank in the nurse Joe story is probably the biggest change in any of the characters so far, I guess in Rockstar Joe's story Frank was able to find purpose being Joe's security guy the way he never found it in the Nurse story. Look at Jenny's dad taking a break for being a prick, its a daylight savings miracle. 

Cop Joe and Amy are still my favorite couple by far.

The time change metaphor was pretty forced. 

I was half expecting the professor to laugh at Jenny, maybe say she was a mom attending law school and she didn't know how her kid was doing during class because no cell phones, etc.

100% agree that Jenny should not pull that card - it wasn't like the professor did anything horrible.

I'm torn between Nurse and Cop for my favorite, but I think in terms of realities, Nurse one wins for the best one - probably due to the least amount of crazy bs

• Love 3
On 11/16/2021 at 7:12 AM, One Imaginary Girl said:

To be honest, young Amy's protest made me like her less.

The protest itself wasn't the problem. But when she threw the rock at the cops' car and damaged it, I cringed. My immediate thought was, "Girl, that was dumb.  Understandable, but DUMB!"  Did she really think she was helping matters by acting in such a stupid fashion during what was already a tense situation? What did she THINK the cops were going to do in response?

On 11/19/2021 at 8:49 AM, tennisgurl said:

I also thought it was crappy of Jenny to try and play the "women should support women" card, the professor shouldn't cut her slack just because she's a woman or a working mom. 

At least she didn't play the Disabled Child card. I had a coworker who, anytime she wasn't getting her way, she would try to manipulate people with, "my son is a diabetic." 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, eel21788 said:

At least she didn't play the Disabled Child card. I had a coworker who, anytime she wasn't getting her way, she would try to manipulate people with, "my son is a diabetic." 

yeah if she had pulled that I think Maya DiMeo from Speechless would've torn a hole in the universe to stomp in there to yell at Jenny.

like I have cancer and I live with my parents - the only time my mom pulls the cancer card is:
1. I need to get a blood transfusion and she has to go with me
2. Someone is coughing or having symptoms of being sick and won't wear a mask (during COVID!)
3. Someone comes to the door (it's a public-facing job) and needs assistance - my mom does not want to interact with the public unless necessary (which is 100% possible)

Edited by bros402
On 11/15/2021 at 11:42 PM, LittleIggy said:

I am also a university professor.  I have heard all kinds of excuses, and I usually just listen.  They are adults, paying to take the class.  If they choose to be on their phone instead of paying attention, that's their choice.  I don't say anything unless they are doing something distracting. 

Law professors (valid or not) have a reputation for being exactly like that professor.  I would never behave this way either, but it is very common.

Edited by Ziggy
  • Love 1
On 11/18/2021 at 4:23 PM, Lovecat said:

I thought it was particularly weak when Amy told Cop!Joe to change his clock or he'd be late for work the next day.  Uh, no.  If you forget to move your clock back, you're going to be an hour EARLY.  I know math is hard, but that was a pretty bad flub.  At least Rocker!Joe Amy was correct in saying they were ENDING Daylight Savings Time...most people think that every time the clocks change, it must be Daylight Savings!  Nope, sometimes we are going back to Standard Time.

I thought she said, "Change your clock later, so you're not late for work tomorrow," implying that if he didn't change it and just thought it was 8:00 am, when it was really 7:00 am, that he would be an hour early.

On 11/16/2021 at 6:32 PM, bybrandy said:

I mean I agree but they were literally in a public place surrounded by thousands of people for hours.  Pre cell phone cameras but some people would have had handheld cameras and photographs.  

They were surrounded by lots of people at the protest, but they had just walked away from that.  I don't remember seeing very many people near them when the cops stopped them.

When 35 mm cameras were all anyone had, no one took random photos.  You hoped that you took a good picture and everyone was smiling and no one looked stupid, because you were only willing to take one or two pictures.

When digital cameras first came out, they didn't take instant pictures.  There was a delay, and you had to hold really still for a few seconds.  (I took years to convince the public that digital was better.)

Also, it took quite a while before the idea sunk in that you could take multiple pictures without wasting anything.  I know my friends and I were still stuck on the idea of one or two pictures.  We would never stop and take pictures of random people talking to cops.

4 hours ago, Ziggy said:

I am also a university professor.  I have heard all kinds of excuses, and I usually just listen.  They are adults, paying to take the class.  If they choose to be on their phone instead of paying attention, that's their choice.  I don't say anything unless they are doing something distracting. 

Law professors (valid or not) have a reputation for being exactly like that professor.  I would never behave this way either, but it is very common.

I didn’t have any law professors like that. I did attend law school before the era of cell phones though.

2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I didn’t have any law professors like that. I did attend law school before the era of cell phones though.

My brother went to law school before cell phones, too.  He said some of his professors had that attitude and some didn't.  Like I said before, if someone wants to pay money to take my class and then not do their homework or not pay attention in class, that's their choice.  Their grade will likely suffer, but really, they need to decide for themselves what their priorities are.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Ziggy said:

They were surrounded by lots of people at the protest, but they had just walked away from that.  I don't remember seeing very many people near them when the cops stopped them.

When 35 mm cameras were all anyone had, no one took random photos.  You hoped that you took a good picture and everyone was smiling and no one looked stupid, because you were only willing to take one or two pictures.

When digital cameras first came out, they didn't take instant pictures.  There was a delay, and you had to hold really still for a few seconds.  (I took years to convince the public that digital was better.)

Also, it took quite a while before the idea sunk in that you could take multiple pictures without wasting anything.  I know my friends and I were still stuck on the idea of one or two pictures.  We would never stop and take pictures of random people talking to cops.

I am pre cell phone camera days too and big protests like that people would have taken loads of crowd shots for documentation.  News crews would have been there etc.   This wasn't a random Tuesday afternoon with friends and honestly I was thinking more of people with video cameras. Not so much somebody who would have documented the arrest itself but they could have put out a call for documentation of the rally to prove that he had been there.  

Although pre social media getting out that message would have been more difficult... 

11 hours ago, bybrandy said:

I am pre cell phone camera days too and big protests like that people would have taken loads of crowd shots for documentation.  News crews would have been there etc.   This wasn't a random Tuesday afternoon with friends and honestly I was thinking more of people with video cameras. Not so much somebody who would have documented the arrest itself but they could have put out a call for documentation of the rally to prove that he had been there.  

Although pre social media getting out that message would have been more difficult... 

But wasn't it just the family and the cops on a side street at that moment?  Even if someone were to walk by, they weren't at the protest.  I can't imagine anyone would think to take a picture.

38 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

But wasn't it just the family and the cops on a side street at that moment?  Even if someone were to walk by, they weren't at the protest.  I can't imagine anyone would think to take a picture.

I assumed that they were only on the side street for a few minutes as they went to their car but had spent the protest and the time when the robbery happened in the main group with the protestors.  I don't think they were on the side street for more than a minute or two.  And if the robbery was so recently then where was the stuff he took?

29 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

I assumed that they were only on the side street for a few minutes as they went to their car but had spent the protest and the time when the robbery happened in the main group with the protestors.  I don't think they were on the side street for more than a minute or two.  And if the robbery was so recently then where was the stuff he took?

We might be talking about two different things.  I thought people were asking why no one had taken pictures of cops arresting her father.  My assumption was there was hardly anyone around to take pictures and even if someone had been walking down the street at the time, i thought it unlikely that they would take pictures of her father getting arrested.

I just reread your original post and see that I misunderstood.  I was thinking more along the lines of how people are always trying to catch police on video.

Edited by Ziggy

I'm liking seeing a little bit of a backstory on the various characters, so it was nice seeing a bit of Amy's.  It was interesting how her backstory was mostly affecting her storyline in the Cop Joe timeline, but we got to see her parents in the Rock Star Joe timeline.

I'm glad Amy came clean to Joe about the affair.  Bobby's wife was probably used to affairs, so I'm surprised she didn't suspect Amy before this.  It was presumptuous of Amy to place it in the coffin instead of giving it to her family, though.  I always felt badly for Bobby's wife in the other timelines, but she acted particularly nastily in this one, though justified.  Funnily enough, Amy ended up the happiest in the timeline where she married Eric.  And Eric seems to be in a good place in all three timelines.

Nurse Joe was very admirable for helping his uncle, and I'm glad he stood up to him about going to rehab.  

I can see why the professor was annoyed about the cell phone and there's no excuse for why Jenny didn't put it on silent or why it was on her desk.  Still, the prof was clearly on some sort of power trip.  Talking back to the person marking your work about "a special place in hell" isn't very smart, Jenny.