Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Summer School: Chapter Twelve

scarynikki12
  • Start Topic

This isnt a badly written show but....it's so slow and lacks so much action that it's exhausting. I'm so happy that the finale is next week. 

All of Cindys scenes were great and its fun to see her work with the good guys. 

And how will Starman play into all of this? He was reintroduced in the S1 finale and has been MIA for the most part since then. 

• Love 2

Pentultimate episode of a horror-filled season, exploring the darkness of humanity, from person to person.

Also, an English Bulldog taking advantage of an empty house to wreak havoc. Oh, man, I needed that. And he peed on the Staff’s case! Cheap laugh, but still funny.

Would've been nice to have seen Mike and Jakeem together in a prior episode. Nice that Jakeem has about as much skill handling Thunderbolt as Mike did. Given the sheer amount of power, it should’ve been a snap (click?) to get food from China, though.

Rick’s uncle has a rare talent. He can be a supreme asshole even when he’s muted and barely able to move his arm. I don’t think Pat actually physically hurt the guy. He probably broke out the personality Courtney has gotten used to. Two hours of that, Rick would be a free man.

Beth and Chuck FTW. It’s the brainy grandpa she never knew she wanted! Too bad Eclipso got the drop on them to start the endgame. Eclipsed Stargirl was scary as hell.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

And how will Starman play into all of this? He was reintroduced in the S1 finale and has been MIA for the most part since then. 

I'd expect him to show up at the very end after Eclipso is beaten to send the show off on a cliffhanger.  If he plays a significant role then that makes everyone else look less effective, especially since it's likely Courtney's heroic willpower will be what allows her to drive out Eclipso when he tries to possess her.  Starman showing up won't help with that.

And why do I get the feeling the producers decided Nick Tarabay's Eclipso looks too much like a Power Rangers villain and settled on creepy kid instead?  At least he's gotten series regular status out of it even though I think he's had fewer than ten minutes of actual screentime this season.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kirinan said:

Okay, tonight's opening montage of Buddy almost made up for any quibbles I've had with this season of Stargirl. I'm not deleting the episode off my DVR until I watch that a couple more times. 

Me too.

Great episode, but I was really happy that Cindy revealed to Yolanda she was behind everything that happened to her and why. Tricking her into sharing the photo thinking it was Henry and it was her cloning the number and then sharing it at that moment to everyone. Because not only because she knew it would make her shunned and break up with Henry, because it would cause the destruction in her family too. 

My favorite line:

Beth: "Thank you Dr. Mid-nite."

Charles: "Please, call me... Chuck." 

• Love 2

I enjoyed Buddy's home alone adventures. Will rewatch it a few times before I hit the delete button.

Looks like STRIPE is on its way to be repaired. Poor robot has been sitting in the shop.

Pat certainly found a way to get Rick's uncle to cooperate and drop the charges.

Cindy, telling Yolanda you were behind things was about the only way she would come back to the fold. Nice to see her again.

Jakeem needs to be more specific about wishes from Thunderbolt. I would have loved to have seen the giant cheeseburger circling around the town. How many dishes were they washing? Enough for a month's worth of meals?

Little Bruce Gordon was really creepy and even creepier when he said he wanted to become a god.

I liked Dr. Midnight telling Beth she can call him Chuck.

The season certainly has found the darkness within each person.

I kept meaning to post this sketch I got at New York Comic Con. Originally, I printed out references of Buddy, Starman and Stargirl . . . but then I figured he’d probably wear something closer to Pat.

16 minutes ago, Frozendiva said:

Little Bruce Gordon was really creepy and even creepier when he said he wanted to become a god.

That kid has been on-point when he was needed. Creepy factor at or near 10 when he’s on screen.

• Love 3

Cool, the team and things are finally starting to come together. I wish this had been happening sooner, though. I was initially excited about Jenny and Jakeem, but they've had the least amount of screentime.

Great to see Beth and Chuck together! I need her to get a costume upgrade out of this.

3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

And why do I get the feeling the producers decided Nick Tarabay's Eclipso looks too much like a Power Rangers villain and settled on creepy kid instead?  At least he's gotten series regular status out of it even though I think he's had fewer than ten minutes of actual screentime this season.

1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

That kid has been on-point when he was needed. Creepy factor at or near 10 when he’s on screen.

Now I think the kid is mainly a cost cutting measure, and/or Taraby could only be in the makeup for limited amounts of time. However, that kid is good at being creepy! So that works.

10 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

This isnt a badly written show but....it's so slow and lacks so much action that it's exhausting. I'm so happy that the finale is next week. 

Gotta save that money for the finale!  Who knows, maybe STRIPE will even make it out of the garage and do a few things before it's inevitably disabled or otherwise rendered useless.  It also seems likely Solomon Grundy will make an appearance to help his buddy Rick out, plus the Thunderbolt may be back from China too.

LOVED the opening montage with Buddy.  I have a soft spot for English Bulldogs (see the user name).  That made my day. 

Didn't expect Pat to go all Liam Neeson on Rick's uncle.  Although, I can't imagine good guy Pat roughing him up too much. 

And even if Rick's uncle wanted the charges dropped, isn't it the state that decides these matters regardless of the victim's wishes?  (Like when an abused wife doesn't want charges pressed against her husband, but the authorities charge anyway.)  Clearly there was ample evidence that would have supported an assault / battery charge against Rick.   I would guess that the victim's wishes would likely only come into play at sentencing.  I probably shouldn't try to apply to much real world thinking to a superhero show. 

I like Cindy working with the team.  While I don't mind her becoming one of the good guys, I don't want to see her lose her edge.  Maybe make her an anti-hero. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bulldog said:

Didn't expect Pat to go all Liam Neeson on Rick's uncle.  Although, I can't imagine good guy Pat roughing him up too much. 

I want to know what he did to Uncle Jerkwad. My guess is a stern parental lecture combined with bucketloads of guilt-mongering and threats of being grounded every single day for the rest of his pathetic life if he didn't drop the charges. I mean, c'mon, it IS Pat.

If he DID go all Liam Neeson, I want video snippets.

• Love 2

Not really buying that Pat went all crazy on Rick's uncle.  I mean,  a couple episodes ago we find out that he couldn't stomach the killing of a person who was playing host to an evil, world destroying demon but now we're supposed to believe that he's down with torturing a man that's already so injured that he can't move or talk?  I get that they wanted to show Pat's got a "dark side" but that's just a bridge too far.  

The kid playing Bruce Gordon/Eclipso is excellent.  Totally brings the right amount of creepiness to the role.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

I mean,  a couple episodes ago we find out that he couldn't stomach the killing of a person who was playing host to an evil, world destroying demon

Well, exactly. As far as he knew, Bruce Gordon was an innocent victim of Eclipso who didn't deserve to die and they should have found another way because saving people like that is their job description. (We know that Bruce wasn't such a good guy, but he didn't.)

1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

now we're supposed to believe that he's down with torturing a man that's already so injured that he can't move or talk?  I get that they wanted to show Pat's got a "dark side" but that's just a bridge too far. 

Torturing, not killing, a man who he knows is a jerkasaurus, in order to get a kid he cares about out of jail.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

We did see the Evil Norwegian grandparents. Wonder if they will show up.

Which reminds me; it's a shame they've barely done anything with Cameron this season, especially since Icicle was so prominent in Season 1.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Trini said:

Which reminds me; it's a shame they've barely done anything with Cameron this season, especially since Icicle was so prominent in Season 1.

Par for the course when it comes to CW superhero love interests.  He's still doing better than Laurel Lance and Janes Olsen, who were actually demoted, but he can sit with Iris West and Sophie Moore.  His fans and their fans can commiserate over the lack of focus.

34 minutes ago, Trini said:

Right after this episode aired, I posted on Tumblr "God almighty, why are the writers allergic to giving Cameron screentime!"

What does the term 'main cast member' mean to them? We want some traction on this Icicle Jr thing and not just hints. Just show him figuring out his powers this season so he can put them to use next season.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Frozendiva said:

Jakeem needs to be more specific about wishes from Thunderbolt. I would have loved to have seen the giant cheeseburger circling around the town. How many dishes were they washing? Enough for a month's worth of meals?

That's what makes the Thunderbolt such an interesting charachter and also how you can't just "wish something" to happen the way you think it in your head. You can't say: "I wish for world peace." Well, how is that suppose to happen? Everyone dies? All the people in power all love each other? What about people who don't agree with world leaders or think they can do better. Instead of saying: "You know, I would like the ceiling tiles above me to look like they day they were installed, all brand knew and good for about ten years before they need to be replaced again, but be more of a cream white and not a solid white." 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Right after this episode aired, I posted on Tumblr "God almighty, why are the writers allergic to giving Cameron screentime!"

What does the term 'main cast member' mean to them? We want some traction on this Icicle Jr thing and not just hints. Just show him figuring out his powers this season so he can put them to use next season.

Even without powers, just him learning about how his father was a supervillain would have been interesting. And they've done literally the least with Courtney+Cameron, so I'm not even getting some quasi-Romeo & Juliet-type angst. Losing from every angle!

• Love 1
On 10/26/2021 at 9:04 PM, Primal Slayer said:

I thought the first season was about as perfect as a TV show of this type could get, but this season the cut in the effects budget has been so noticeable, it's distracting.  S.T.R.I.P.E. out of action the whole season, Yolanda gets a guilt complex so no Wildcat, Stargirl's staff is on the fritz so it gets cut out of a number of episodes, the Green Lantern girl comes and goes, that genie is expensive - better send it to China.  

It was interesting that Mike was the one to choose Jakeem to have Thunderbolt, I had thought the genie or some sort of magic determined that Jakeem would be better at using it.

I don't know if that was the real Cindy talking to Yolanda or Eclipso - I didn't see her go out the window.

Not sure why Courtney becoming evil should be some sort of ultimate plan for Eclipso.  Is she really that much more pure than everybody else?  Power-wise, I don't see her as being much more powerful than the rest of them.  Seems the main reason would be that she's the lead character.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

I don't know if that was the real Cindy talking to Yolanda or Eclipso - I didn't see her go out the window.

I'm sure it was the real Cindy. She watched Courtney and Yolanda talking from a distance with a troubled look on her face (no reason for Eclipso to be in Cindy form there when they couldn't even see her), then went to Yolanda to use reverse psychology to motivate her to help fight Eclipso, and later Courtney spoke with her (Cindy) about it on the porch afterward.

3 hours ago, rmontro said:

I thought the first season was about as perfect as a TV show of this type could get, but this season the cut in the effects budget has been so noticeable, it's distracting.  S.T.R.I.P.E. out of action the whole season, Yolanda gets a guilt complex so no Wildcat, Stargirl's staff is on the fritz so it gets cut out of a number of episodes, the Green Lantern girl comes and goes, that genie is expensive - better send it to China. 

And they seem to be deliberately not paying off certain plot threads until Season 3, with "Summer School" as some kind of lull between Seasons 1 and 3.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, rmontro said:

Not sure why Courtney becoming evil should be some sort of ultimate plan for Eclipso.  Is she really that much more pure than everybody else?  Power-wise, I don't see her as being much more powerful than the rest of them.  Seems the main reason would be that she's the lead character.

I suspect the staff has something to do with it - merging light and dark, etc.  On the one hand you'd think the staff would just decide to stop working if an Eclipso possessed Courtney tries to use it, but maybe it won't be able to resist. 

Buddy's adventures around the house might be the highlight of the entire season so far, and I have really liked this season. Look at that good boy having fun, his people have been so busy lately he deserves to do his doggie thing. 

Cindy being on the team is a fun new dynamic, she did at least manage to get Yolanda to stop moping and get into the action again, even if she says its only for Eclipso. I am glad that she and Rick are back, even if they needed Cindy to reverse phycology Yolanda, and Pat needed to...convince Rick's uncle to drop the charges against Rick. I continue to wonder exactly how the cops planned on charging Rick for breaking his uncle over a truck, they have no clue he has super strength, it would make way more sense if they thought the uncle was lying or had brain damage and he was actually attacked by a bear. Also Pat can apparently be scary when he needs to take the lovable dad hat off, although Pat's "I'm not mad, I'm disappointed" speeches probably do just as much damage as roughing up asshole uncle. 

I love that Dr. Mid-Nighter is such a big fan of Beth, he even asked her to call him Chuck! Now we just need to get her a better costume. 

Was Cindy calling Artemis at the end? She might come back for the big fight, and if she comes back I bet her parents will get broken out of jail to fight with her. Jakeem and Thunderbolt will probably be up as well, I like Jakeem a lot so far, Mike definitely needs a friend his own age. 

I feel like the producers might have decided that they're Eclipso costume looked less scary and more Power Rangers so they decided to use the creepy kid more, which I cant blame them for. That kid is seriously creepy, huge kudos to the kid actor. Oh yeah Eclipso, things always end really well for the bad guy cackling about how they're going to be a god, every single time...

Wasn't Cameron supposed to be around this season? And Starman? Are they just building all of that up for next season?

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

This is a bit trivial, but I notice the kids keep calling Barbara "Miss Whitmore".  Shouldn't it be Mrs. Whitmore?  Or does it remain "Miss" since she didn't take Pat Dugan's name when they got married?  To add to that, the closed captioning translates this as "Ms. Whitmore".  But I thought "Ms." was pronounced "Mizz", or at least that's the way it was back in the 70s.  Has that changed?

14 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

I'm sure it was the real Cindy. She watched Courtney and Yolanda talking from a distance with a troubled look on her face (no reason for Eclipso to be in Cindy form there when they couldn't even see her), then went to Yolanda to use reverse psychology to motivate her to help fight Eclipso, and later Courtney spoke with her (Cindy) about it on the porch afterward.

I agree with what you're saying, and I feel like it is the real Cindy, but then how did she get out of Yolanda's room?  Does she have transportation powers that I don't remember?  With all of Eclipso's fake dopplegangers running around, isn't it a mistake on the writers' part to make it look like she mysteriously disappeared?

How Pat "convinced" Rick's uncle to drop the chargers will probably remain a mystery and part of me probably doesn't want to know what he did, heh.  Who knew Luke Wilson could be kind of scary?!  Realistically, I don't really see Pat going full-blown Jack Bauer or anything, so I suspect it was mainly the threat and idea of possibly harming him that finally made the uncle break.

Enemies teaming up together to take on an even bigger threat is definitely a popular thing in most television; especially superhero shows; but I'm still enjoying Cindy interactions with the rest of the team and how she is somewhat helpful in her own way.  Heck, she was finally what convinced Yolanda to come back: even if it was temporary (for now?)  But unless they try to attempt some kind of redemption path, I don't ever see her being on the side of good for long and the JSA definitely better watch their backs for her once Eclipso is dealt with.

Glad that Jakeem is back and I hope he sticks around.  If nothing else, so that poor Mike can have a friend.

Speaking of friends, Beth has found one with Chuck!

The Adventures of Buddy and Cosmo!  Coming this Winter to The CW!

Jenny gets infected by some of that Eclipso goo (um, eww?) and it seems like she discovers his grand plan.  Which is to apparently turn Courtney to the dark side.  I guess since she wields the staff, she would be the biggest danger if he took over her.  We'll see how this all plays out next week!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

How Pat "convinced" Rick's uncle to drop the chargers will probably remain a mystery and part of me probably doesn't want to know what he did, heh.

I think he applied pressure, literally.

6 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

enny gets infected by some of that Eclipso goo (um, eww?) and it seems like she discovers his grand plan.  Which is to apparently turn Courtney to the dark side.  I guess since she wields the staff, she would be the biggest danger if he took over her.  We'll see how this all plays out next week!

Like Cambridgeguy said, I think he wants to become all-powerful by uniting the powers of light and dark.

On 10/27/2021 at 6:00 AM, Bulldog said:

And even if Rick's uncle wanted the charges dropped, isn't it the state that decides these matters regardless of the victim's wishes? 

I loved seeing Pat take action on this!  The uncle deserved it!  Desperate times and all that.  Even Pat has his limits.

Since no one other than Pat and Courtney witnessed the beating, it's possible for the uncle to withdraw the complaint - unless Rick confessed.

Had to love watching Shiv do her thing with Yolanda!  The ultimate mean girl getting her former romantic rival to join the fight.  I do wonder if there will be a redemption arc for her or not next season.  I'm assuming she was talking to Artemis on the phone to join the upcoming battle.

15 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I suspect it was mainly the threat and idea of possibly harming him that finally made the uncle break.

That's what I think also, the guy was already whimpering when Pat was pulling the shades.  I find the idea of Pat getting medieval on a "bad guy" to be kind of funny, he's usually such a stiff.  He has to be a badass since he hung around the JSA though.  I like the occasional very dark moments in this show contrasted with the usual lighthearted, upbeat presentation.

15 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I guess since she wields the staff, she would be the biggest danger if he took over her.  We'll see how this all plays out next week!

The staff is cool and all, but I don't think it would be as powerful a weapon as a Green Lantern ring.  But that wouldn't be a full spectrum light, maybe that's why Eclipso doesn't go after it.

On 10/28/2021 at 12:46 PM, rmontro said:

This is a bit trivial, but I notice the kids keep calling Barbara "Miss Whitmore".  Shouldn't it be Mrs. Whitmore?  Or does it remain "Miss" since she didn't take Pat Dugan's name when they got married?  To add to that, the closed captioning translates this as "Ms. Whitmore".  But I thought "Ms." was pronounced "Mizz", or at least that's the way it was back in the 70s.  Has that changed?

I keep wondering about this too. First of all, is it not weird for someone to remarry and not take their new husband's name, but actively keep their ex-husband's? Or is Whitmore actually her name? Was she not ever actually married to Courtney's dad?

• Love 1
15 hours ago, ruby24 said:

I keep wondering about this too. First of all, is it not weird for someone to remarry and not take their new husband's name, but actively keep their ex-husband's? Or is Whitmore actually her name? Was she not ever actually married to Courtney's dad?

Courtney's bio-dad is named Sam Kurtis.  I don't know if they ever married, but Whitmore is Barbara's maiden name (unless, of course, there's another former husband we don't know about). 

Edited by cambridgeguy
  • Useful 1
22 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Oh okay. So that tells me she probably was never married to Courtney's dad, because if they were, then Courtney at least would have his name, right?

Unless the divorce was acrimonious enough that Barbara wanted Courtney's name changed. But I think it's most likely they weren't married.