Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06 Laughter and Hope and a Sock in the Eye

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Dr. Reynolds and Dr. Malvo have a heart-to-heart with Dr. Baptiste. Max learns more about Sharpe when someone from her past resurfaces. Iggy plays referee between two patients and their families. Dr. Wilder reconsiders Max's offer to join the staff.

original airdate 10/26/21

First, there was no Flyn "heart-top-heart with Claude.  I stated it from the beginning - Lyn is scandalous and a liar.  No surprise there!

Next, Iggy seemed to lose control with the BPD couple but I guess, all's well that ends well.

Bright spot - Dr. Wilder and complicated surgery.  Although I'm glad she'll replace Sharpe, at least temporarily, she didn't want the demands of the Medical Director position because of her live-in schizophrenic brother but yet is willing to be the Chair of Oncology/Hematology?   I think t hat is somewhat as demanding (and will she continue to perform surgeries?).  

Finally, Helen is royally pissing me off!  She almost feels like an emotional abuser.  Problems I had were numerous:  the timeline was drastically off  but I won't  list the nauseating details that I'm sure only die-hard fans remember.  But my question is: just when exactly did she fall in love with Muhammed? how long were they together?  Was that while she was in London? This relationship with Guillermo - she certainly was not a teenager but more in late, late 20's but most likely early 30's.

But it's not even so much that the timeline is off; why are they delving into her past relationships?  Floyd informed Max more about the relationship than what Helen told him.  What's the point of this?  Is this supposed to be her "backstory"?   I'm certain Max had some wild-child days in his youth but what does that have to do with them being together now?  Why didn't she tell Guillermo, in no uncertain terms, that she was involved in a ("happy, joyful") relationship and that what they had was in the past?  I understand that Guillermo was important to her and she had fun and felt "fearless/confident" but I felt that wasn't fair to Max.    My heart broke for Max as he thinks he's not enough for Helen--regardless of her declaration and "affirmation" at the end.  I'm still very unhappy with her and her behavior towards Max.   If the writers think that last scene was sufficient to appease fans, it didn't work for this one!!  My excitement for S4 has definitely waned.  I don't know if it  or the writing can be resurrected.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, cathmed said:

But it's not even so much that the timeline is off; why are they delving into her past relationships?  Floyd informed Max more about the relationship than what Helen told him.  What's the point of this?  Is this supposed to be her "backstory"?   I'm certain Max had some wild-child days in his youth but what does that have to do with them being together now?  Why didn't she tell Guillermo, in no uncertain terms, that she was involved in a ("happy, joyful") relationship and that what they had was in the past?  I understand that Guillermo was important to her and she had fun and felt "fearless/confident" but I felt that wasn't fair to Max.    My heart broke for Max as he thinks he's not enough for Helen--regardless of her declaration and "affirmation" at the end.  I'm still very unhappy with her and her behavior towards Max.   If the writers think that last scene was sufficient to appease fans, it didn't work for this one!!  My excitement for S4 has definitely waned.  I don't know if it  or the writing can be resurrected.

I really hate what they've done with Max and Helen.  After the years of build-up, they gave us one happy episode, and then immediately flipped them into melancholy mode.  They threw in an imminent intercontinental move because Helen is having some kind of mid-life or identity crisis, I guess, and wants to be with her mother?  They keep bringing up parts of her past this season, but I'm not sure why.  She wanted to have a baby a while back, but that seemingly has been forgotten.  Meanwhile, Max is planning to overturn his and Luna's life, while still feeling insecure about their relationship.  Why did the writers think this is good storytelling?

• Love 13

11 hours ago, izabella said:

I really hate what they've done with Max and Helen.  After the years of build-up, they gave us one happy episode, and then immediately flipped them into melancholy mode.  They threw in an imminent intercontinental move because Helen is having some kind of mid-life or identity crisis, I guess, and wants to be with her mother?  They keep bringing up parts of her past this season, but I'm not sure why.  She wanted to have a baby a while back, but that seemingly has been forgotten.  Meanwhile, Max is planning to overturn his and Luna's life, while still feeling insecure about their relationship.  Why did the writers think this is good storytelling?

I agree that while this story-line about Helen and Max (and Luna) is being milked for the angst and drama, I don't think the underlying premise is so far-fetched.  Why wouldn't Helen want to be back "home" close to her family?

And apart from anything, presumably at this point she's spent several mornings with Luna, yet was incapable of feeding her anything and looked completely uncomfortable even just holding her.

And why would she even want to be with the Max shown at the beginning of the episode when he's throwing millions of dollars at anyone who asked?  (What happened to that story-line?  He should have been fired years ago.)

Ugh, I'd be out if there was anything remotely watchable on basic cable.

Edited by Leeds
Remove inadvertent quote from a different topic
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Who were the actors playing the Sunshine Boys? They looked familiar.

What happened with Floyd and Dr. Baptiste at the end? I missed it.

John Christopher Jones and Timothy Omundson.

Omundson plays Kate & Toby's neighbor  Gregory   who had a stroke on This is us

John Christopher Jones

https://technotrenz.com/entertainment/lets-meet-the-veteran-actor-who-joined-new-amsterdam-as-a-broadway-star-1245443.html

Edited by sheetmoss
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Leeds said:

And apart from anything, presumably at this point she's spent several mornings with Luna, yet was incapable of feeding her anything and looked completely uncomfortable even just holding her.

And this from a woman who was eager to have a baby not too long ago.

• Love 9

Oh hey, Floyd, welcome to the consequences of your actions! I guess Baptiste (who should get a “dumbest doctor in the hospital” award for being blind to all this happening) isn’t so cool with poly after all. It was so awkward to watch Floyd and Lyn look at him like two kids in the principal’s office. 

WTF is with the writing for Helen? How did we go from this woman who wants a baby and had her eggs frozen (IIRC) to someone who can’t even make a sandwich and doesn’t think Max can make her happy? And how have only like two weeks passed in four episodes, since Lauren said Helen only had three weeks left? 

Why do the writers feel the need to give Sharpwin all this misery? Happy couples on TV can be well-executed and don’t have to be boring or even conflict-free. I watch this show with a friend who hates Sharpwin and she says well it’s real; they can’t just be happy right away. Well, why not, especially when the S3 finale was pointing this way? Did they even have a honeymoon period? If the writers really had to write Max and Helen conflict, there are so many better ways it could’ve been done instead of Helen immediately regretting everything about Max and this relationship. 

Having Wilder do the surgery was one of the only things saving this episode, and at least Lauren put her personal drama on the back burner for the week. The absence of Veronica helped too to make this episode more tolerable but still not fantastic.

Also, why is Max assisting in a surgery? He’s apparently an internal medicine doctor. What’s up with that?

I saw the promo for next week and can’t believe this show is already repeating the ambulance accident storyline. I mean this time it doesn’t involve Max directly it seems (as someone who gets hurt) but are they really out of ideas at this point that they’re going there again? 

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Love 7
9 hours ago, sheetmoss said:

John Christopher Jones and Timothy Omundson.

Omundson plays Kate & Toby's neighbor  Gregory   who had a stroke on This is us

John Christopher Jones

https://technotrenz.com/entertainment/lets-meet-the-veteran-actor-who-joined-new-amsterdam-as-a-broadway-star-1245443.html

Timothy Omundson has been around a long time--though he is actually much younger than he looked in last night's episode. "This Is Us" is one of his post-stroke roles, but before his stroke, he spent eight seasons on the beloved series "Psych" as Head Detective Carlton Lassiter. He just finished filming the third "Psych" TV movie--it'll be on Peacock streaming next month! "Supernatural" fans will know him as Cain, the impressive "father of murder." He was terrifically hilarious (and a wonderful singer too)  in the ABC musical comedy series "Galavant" -- an absolute delight you can find on Vudu or YouTube right now, and worth watching. He's been in tons of other series over the years too.

What we saw on "New Amsterdam" is the product of more than four years of intense work on his part after his massive stroke nearly killed him. When he did survive, he wasn't expected ever to walk again--much less act again. He's also relentlessly optimistic and upbeat despite tremendous challenges that derailed a very steady career. (Yes, this is my PSA and I love the guy!)

• Love 10

Add me in with the people wondering what they're doing with Max and Helen.  Is it too much to ask that they just be allowed to be happy?  Did they have to throw all this drama at them the second they finally got together?  It's very frustrating.  They're obviously either not going to England or coming right back so they're either going to break up soon or one is going to be unhappy.  This isn't what I wanted for their relationship.  And I love Helen.  She's my favorite character and I don't get why she's so unhappy and insecure now that she's finally got Max.  Very frustrating.

But this was a good episode.  No Veronica (is that her name?)  Iggy wasn't the worst doctor in the world this episode, which was a refreshing change of pace for him.  Seriously, who let him be a psychiatrist because he is so bad at it.   Lauren wasn't acting like a lunatic.  I like her best when she's focused on being a doctor.  I had such hopes for her relationship with Leyla but at this point, I think Leyla needs to run.  Maybe the show is just awful at writing romantic relationships.

And Reynolds.  As I recall, he wouldn't be with Lauren because he wanted to have a black family.  Okay.  Fine.  How is he expecting to have a family with a married woman?  Is he thinking or hoping that she'll leave her husband?  I just fail to see how he's going to have this perfect family he's always dreamed of with Lynn.  Even if she does leave her husband, is that really what he wants?  For this guy to end up heartbroken and dumped by his wife?  I don't know what he's thinking but I'm tired of it and I really hope it blows up in his face.

• Love 9

Again beginning and end. Had to turn it off when Helen could not make a sandwich and at the end you have all filled in the blanks. 

Not that I care, but did the husband confirm he did not know he was in an open relationship? Floyd and Iggy are such weak links.

Not really a fan of Max and Helen. They have written her to be as inconsistent and all over the place as he is. I don't mind writing the Max character as if he has compassion etc but as a strong capable man instead of an all over the place people pleaser.

Helen came in as a sought after celebrity physician and is now a high school girl with a crush. Love Freema but.mmm

• Love 4

oh wow, this is going down hill fast.  I loved the 2 old guys, their storyline was decent, but the rest, underwhelming isn't even the best word to describe it.  

Helen, making a kids lunch is not hard, especially when it is just a simple sandwich, surely you have made one before? I kind of tuned out after that with Helen and Max, and had started writing this before the last bit of them together at the end of the episode.

I am guessing Max's "yes" day was him creating the havoc that he and Helen planned a couple of episodes back, but seriously, havoc only happens if Fuentes is around to have some sort of reaction.

I didn't get the Iggy patient thing, first he seemed against their marriage, then he seemed to support it as soon as their family were against it?  I may have missed something because my 12 year old was trying to talk to me while I was watching part of it this morning.  

Floyd and Lyn, who gives a rat's rectum? This relationship just seems wrong to me on way too many fronts, just based on Floyd's history (see below).

When I see Blume and Casey the nurse together, I think the writers would have been better off heading down the route of these 2 being together, rather than putting her with the intern.  There seems more chemistry there.

While I have no issues with diverse relationships, I find NA seems to be pushing it bigtime right now: Iggy the gay doctor, Blume the lesbian doctor, we have the interracial relationship with Helen and Max, the married doctor and Floyd in an open relationship.  When are the majority represented? I get the majority have always been represented and the minority deserve representation, but this isn't proportional.  I love the idea of Max and Helen together, they've had this chemistry that screams they belong together, even though the writers are doing a crap job at the moment. But, like someone said above, Floyd always said (to Blume), he wanted to be in a relationship with a black woman because he wanted to have kids with her, and this is not a relationship where that will happen.  Iggy and his partner are lovely, and maybe because they haven't changed the story for him, it doesn't frustrate me the way the writers have chopped and changed with Blume and Floyd.  While the Blume relationship gave reason to address her issues with Iggy, this could have happened with anyone she was paired with. I just don't know.  It is grating on me somehow.  I hope this hasn't offended anyone with this, it is what I have seen changing over the last season or so.    

• Love 1

Maybe they are just trying to depict real life ? As someone who has worked in a hospital I can tell you that you might see several of those exact relationships. It might have been better if they didn't try to explore that all with main characters but I don't know what the budget is or what the premise of the show is because on some of them the cast just gets too big and is too many characters to keep up with.

It may have been better if they tried to explore those relationships with more minor characters , but the fact that they decided to include them at all doesn't necessarily bother me.  It's interesting to me that you didn't also touch on the disabled doctor , or how Casey is presented very differently now in terms of his outward appearance . I think the theme was to show more tolerance and acceptance of people in how they show up but I can understand why you may feel that it was too much all at once. 

For me it is not so much that they are doing those stories is that they are not doing any of them well.

Edited to add that I agree with the person who stated I hate the shows where everyone has to date each other within a small group....and everybody is ok with that.  Almost as much as I side eye shows with inter racial or inter faith relationships where NO ONE in their lives address it in any way, positive or negative....

Edited by catrice2
Talk to text.
  • Love 7

I actually have no issue with Dr. Wilder (the deaf doctor) and quite enjoy her. Smart doctor and great personality. I also have no issue with Iggy and his husband or the Leyren (Lauren/Leyla) relationship because LGBT relationships don’t bother me, 

I think the problem is in the backwards writing or casting went wrong somewhere, especially with the actress who plays Lyn. I’m not sure how well known she is or what other work she’s done but she’s just…blah. She seems like she’s reading her lines off cue cards and trying to get done for the day ASAP. 

The writing for Helen to make her seem incapable of even making Luna’s sandwich is ridiculous. Since when has Helen ever been some helpless woman who can barely keep herself together? We spent last season setting up her and Max to be a couple. We saw their friendship with his cancer and after Georgia died. Now she is completely a wreck and having a meltdown and feeling insecure? It makes no sense. 

Again, I like Lauren and Leyla but as soon as the bribe thing comes up again shit will hit the fan if Lauren did indeed pay it. I just feel like I’m watching a ticking time bomb for some reason and I don’t like it. 

It amazes me that Iggy is the only doctor currently in a loving and stable relationship. I would love to see more of Martin and their family. 

NA suffers from the same problem other medical shows do where they only have the characters date people who work at the hospital, which is fine when the relationship works but if the relationship is awful (like Floyd and Lyn) and it keeps getting thrown back in your face, it makes the show worse IMO. At least Martin appears to work elsewhere, and I think that kind of balance helps. 

33 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

Maybe they are just trying to depict real life ? As someone who has worked in a hospital I can tell you that you might see several of those exact relationships. It might have been better if they didn't try to explore that all with main characters but I don't know what the budget is or what the premise of the show is because on some of them the cast just gets too big and is too many characters to keep up with.

It may have been better if they tried to explore those relationships with More minor characters but the fact that they decided to include them at all doesn't necessarily bother me It's interesting to me that you didn't also touch on the disabled doctor , or how Casey is Z is presented very differently now in terms of his outward appearance . I think the theme was to show more tolerance and acceptance of people in how they show up but I can understand why you may feel that it was too much all at once all at once.

1 For me it is not so much that they are doing those stories is that they are not doing any of them well.

Edited by Cloud9Shopper
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, Cloud9Shopper said:

especially with the actress who plays Lyn. I’m not sure how well known she is or what other work she’s done but she’s just…blah. She seems like she’s reading her lines off cue cards and trying to get done for the day ASAP. 

The writing for Helen to make her seem incapable of even making Luna’s sandwich is ridiculous.

I was just coming in  to say both, you beat me to it!

I didn't understand Lyn's husband's response to Floyd 'you should have never told me'.  Does that mean he didn't know about their relationship (as in not an open/poly relationship) and now that he knows he has to act on it somehow?  Just use your words people.

And you don't just sneak off to a chapel and get married in NYC, you get the license, etc...

What I would say about Floyd's situation is that even if the husband agreed to an open marriage they should have had ground rules.  I am sure he would not have expected the wife to be with someone in their shared work place that he works closely with. 🙄

• Love 2
4 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

I am guessing Max's "yes" day was him creating the havoc that he and Helen planned a couple of episodes back, but seriously, havoc only happens if Fuentes is around to have some sort of reaction.

I wince everytime Max calls Fuentes degrading names like "monster" or "beast" to other staff members.  I feel like he's setting the hospital up for a lawsuit because he's incapable of just being a professional. 

4 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

I didn't get the Iggy patient thing, first he seemed against their marriage, then he seemed to support it as soon as their family were against it?  I may have missed something because my 12 year old was trying to talk to me while I was watching part of it this morning.  

None of it made much sense.  Even if having a relationship was good for the patients (a big "if,") their behavior when faced with a setback (running off to get married) should have been a giant red flag. 

• Love 4

"psych 2: lassie come home" also featured the great Timothy Omundson in recovery.  Amazing work to do a comedy while in recovery from a massive stroke.  But they really wanted to honor him, and made him central to the plot.

• Love 3

Okay, it's time for another episode - how boring will this one be?

hopefully not too boring

um Sharpe that was not the right way to use a peeler, you were holding it in a way where you are guaranteed to peel yourself - is she going to have some kind of ailment with how much she is flailing around making a sandwich?

??? are we supposed to recognize the guy who texted Sharpe?

oh look Max is running around on a spending spree

um hand massagers for chemo patients does not sound comfortable, at least for me. I mean maybe if someone has a port it could be nice? But if someone has a PICC in their arm that could be... yeaah. If someone has an IV in their hand why would they want it to vibrate??? It'd be better to have hand warmers, hands get cold during infusions, since at least with me I don't move my hands much

well that Reynolds meeting with his boss and boss's wife was even more awkward than I thought it would be. I had to pause it from the secondhand embarrassment.

TIMOTHY OMUNDSON!! THIS EPISODE IS NOW AUTOMATICALLY THE BEST OF THE SEASON SO FAR

ok so we weren't supposed to recognize the guy who texted Sharpe

wait how did the spleen and liver get fused by radiation, the spleen is on the left and the liver is on the right - maybe if the aorta tumor was so big it was cuddling with tumors on the spleen and liver, sure, maybe

wait and how is that stage 3, it should be stage 4 pancan

oh hey it's deaf doctor, she's great

wow deaf doctor's translator must be hard to find, not everyone would be able to pronounce those correctly.

I bet doing this rare surgery would bring the hospital some good PR, so max doing his usual "saying yes to everything" could even be justified to the board when it works out

also wait so she had the surgery prepared and only asked max for approval on the way there????

this surgery is cool - tbh i'd be happy if we had an episode that just followed this, they could always do it with a clock in the corner

wait why is max assisting in the surgery - maybe it's a ceremonial role - i understand reynolds being involved since he's cardio and the tumor is on the aorta but why is sharpe in there

oh ok so this Iggy plot is going to be about conservatorships, perhaps the issues that come with them. he'll probably try to get one/both of them out of their conservatorships because love

timothy omundson's plot is pretty good, he elevates everything

why wouldn't deaf surgeon just have everyone wear clear masks???

max you are not a surgeon you cannot operate on this man. why are you in this room

you don't shock when there's no pulse - you need to do compressions compressions compressions

so they have Sharpe in as a pathologist? since she was there with a microscope, but she's an oncologist, not a pathologist

who could have predicted that Reynolds would have to work with his boss. what a shock.

iggy, why do you have both parents in the meetings, you should do it individually, then a group session if you feel that is appropriate. of course this is going to result in rising tensions

I like how they haven't had something come up like "oh look deaf surgeon has a surgical error because she's deaf!"

what the hell are they doing to that patient's torso without looking - max you do not do this every day, you should keep an eye on what you are doing

....what was that basement analogy

"tristate bridge" - what is our equivalent of it? Triborough? The GWB?

iggy, love isn't a reason - you are biased in this situation - an outside doctor should get involved in this case

...and of course something had to happen in the surgery
oh hey they fixed it oddly quickly

Iggy, they are not two consenting adults - both of them are under conservatorships so they legally cannot consent

hey look, a reasonable compromise with the omundson plot

um why would he regret being told when it is literally part of the agreement between him and his wife

yay, deaf surgeon finally joining the hospital

wait this episode is over? and it didn't bore me?

so, worst doctor of the episode is...

obviously IGGY- he handled pretty much everything wrong!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bros402 said:

TIMOTHY OMUNDSON!! THIS EPISODE IS NOW AUTOMATICALLY THE BEST OF THE SEASON SO FAR

He makes everything infinitely better, doesn't he? He's a national treasure. Also, not that old. 

He was in Psych, Supernatural, and Lucifer. 

I really liked this story line, mainly because these two actors totally sold it.

It's weird, because with Sharpe wanting a baby so badly, I kept thinking her problems could be solved if she just got together with Max, and maybe it would be better if they did it while Luna was still a baby.

Now, I wonder how she would have functioned if she'd actually had a baby, as she's treating them like they're alien creatures and never even thought about having one of her own. It's like that whole story line existed in another universe/

• Love 10
14 hours ago, catrice2 said:

Helen came in as a sought after celebrity physician and is now a high school girl with a crush

Agreed. And what is that with a grown ass adult not being able to pour juice into a cup or cut a sandwich? There are ways of making Helen feel awkward when it comes to Luna, or even nervous that she might make a mistake but that scene is too pathetic. 

11 hours ago, LittlePeas3 said:

When are the majority represented? I get the majority have always been represented and the minority deserve representation, but this isn't proportional. 

Popular culture is catching up with real life representation. Also, just so that the different groups with different privileges that have always been represented might have a real understanding of how those minorities felt being silenced and ignored for such a long time. 

7 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

None of it made much sense.  Even if having a relationship was good for the patients (a big "if,") their behavior when faced with a setback (running off to get married) should have been a giant red flag. 

They didn't explain what their conservatorship covered so we were left to guess how much each one of them was deemed competent to make their own decisions. I guess the idea was that as a couple they are their own support system. It is a worthy idea to explore but the show just throw magic solutions around without any context. I don't think they would be able to get married without going before a judge first, to change the conditions of the conservatorship. at least, as the parents seem to be the guardians,  they would need their approval for the marriage. Besides, they are inmates in the psych ward. As "beautiful" as the whole thing was, it is also hard to take it seriously.

• Love 5

I’ve been catching up on this season and I still don’t get what they’re going for, exactly. I like it better than last though so I guess that’s something.

This was a filler episode but thanks to Kit and Bob I enjoyed it. They were witty and and I liked how frank there were about their disabilities and that the show didn’t make it some overly precious PSA case of the week. Though, the bit about Lauren never laughing was silly, especially coming from Casey, who I’d argue she’s the most relaxed with out of anyone she’s friends with. Lauren doesn’t often crack jokes like Iggy but she’s not the stoic, cool, character they’ve been trying to write her as this season, either. 

BLOOM: I find the writing when it comes to her character(and a lot of other characters and aspects of the show) to be odd and inconsistent. 

Initially, Lauren was the grumpy but competent department head that went above and beyond for her patients, like all the main characters are wont to do, but now, she pretty much comes off as a terror of a boss with almost no impulse control. The personal and sometimes professional decisions she makes, seem like she’s going backwards in terms of development. And I don’t trust that the writers are competent enough to be doing this on purpose and trying to say something relevant in terms of her recovery journey, it just seems like bad writing. 

Also, as much as I like her relationship with Leyla, they seem extremely temporary, because they’re clearly using Leyla to explore Lauren’s issues rather than engaging with her as a character in her own right. Par for the course with side characters but they don’t have to make it so obvious. Leyla is an interesting character, at least based on the little they’ve revealed about her, but they only want to explore her in terms of bettering Lauren. Too bad, because I found her medical expertise really exciting and thought they could have used the character to say something new and important about foreign trained doctors, but alas, nothing. I do like them together and like seeing Lauren be open and vulnerable while actually working at sustaining a long term relationship(the advice she gave Helen during their talk was ironic, she sounded so zen and logical yet she can’t seem to apply that same logic to her own affairs. But that’s how it goes for us all, I suppose) but it’s like in order to balance out more gentle, thoughtful parts Leyla brings out in her, they’ve upped the ante with the snark and entitlement and to me, it just makes her a bewildering character to watch. I do like her (one of her 5 fans, it seems) but it’s exhausting. It feels like they’re building her up just to have her fall flat on her face again- relapse seems imminent, after Leyla finds out and dumps her, and I just wonder how many times they can revist that storyline. 

MAX: Max has always been a lot but he’s behaving like a child this season and it makes me side with Fuentes, more often than not. I find the actress brings a lot to her role because they write her like a soapy villian,(they tend to do this with all the women in power they bring on; Castro, the neurologist that replaced Kapoor, etc). It’s like they don’t trust the audience to know someone is ‘bad’ if they don’t make them say three terrible things back to back. Anyway, I find it weird that he and Helen mostly converse in these cheesy one liners and hollow romantic montages. They should focus on some serious conversations because they’re about to uphaul their whole lives and as of right now, I don’t buy it.

SHARPE: Helen and Max have never done anything for me (I see the chemistry I just don’t care, especially about Max) but surely, they could have explored the early days of their relationship and tackled the everyday issues that come up in new relationships without plummeting head first into overwhelming upheaval? It’s like the writers are afraid that if they actually show them being happy, people will be bored but in actuality, their fans can’t stop begging for some joy. This London plot is unnecessary and I wish they’d nixed it. It’s not going to be permanent and at this point it’s just a matter of guessing who comes back first or if they return together. Seems like an expensive and convoluted way to write their breakup, when there are so many things they still have to figure out in NYC that could facilitate a potential break up and make for dramatic tv.

But then, they always take the most contrived route on this show. Like scattering Helen’s trauma over the seasons, but not really exploring it in any real way. I hope there’s some resolution with her mother when she gets to London at least. Also, what happened to her plans to have a child? You’d think they would show her and Luna bonding or her and Max having a serious conversation about it, rather than some one liner about never having been a parent before or sharing a life with someone- wasn’t she engaged? That statement fell flat to me. As did her ex’s emergency. Cool surgery, but absolutely zero emotional investment. They could have at least brought back the guy she dated in season 1, if they were going to waste time on rehashing the past at all. 

IGGY: He went from being overly involved but still capable to almost unwatchable. I liked the episode where he gave the other doctors off the clock advice, but other than that, he’s been rough. I used to like him a lot, and while I still think that he’s got the most stable and realistic relationship(aside from that moment he tried to adopt a kid behind his husband’s back)they’ve really lost the plot with him.

FLOYD: Continues to bore beyond belief. How is it that even with a secret affair(I know she says polyamory but the way they go about things screams affair) I still don’t give a damn about him? Maybe it’s the acting. The awkwardness between him, his girlfriend and her husband was the only time I was even remotely interested. But then nothing really happened there. All three have negative chemistry and the husband always seems sleepy. Why Lynn couldn’t have been a regular single woman I’ll never know. 

I do like this show, or what it started out as, because it had a lot of potential and most of the cast are great actors but the writing leaves so much to be desired and it’s getting hard to ignore the ridiculous. 

Edited by babyrambo
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, catrice2 said:

It may have been better if they tried to explore those relationships with more minor characters , but the fact that they decided to include them at all doesn't necessarily bother me.  It's interesting to me that you didn't also touch on the disabled doctor , or how Casey is presented very differently now in terms of his outward appearance . I think the theme was to show more tolerance and acceptance of people in how they show up but I can understand why you may feel that it was too much all at once. 

For me it is not so much that they are doing those stories is that they are not doing any of them well.

Edited to add that I agree with the person who stated I hate the shows where everyone has to date each other within a small group....and everybody is ok with that.  Almost as much as I side eye shows with inter racial or inter faith relationships where NO ONE in their lives address it in any way, positive or negative....

I agree, there’s no issue with them exploring the differences in human experience, it’s that they choose the most lazy cliche ways to do so. And I suppose it depends on what ‘diverse’ looks like to a person, but relationships and friendships like the ones they depict on the show aren’t at all rare in big cities like New York.

I do think they’re better at showing friendships rather than relationships though. Which is funny, because other than a personal conversation every three episodes, none of them really seem like very good friends at all.  With their relationships, romance is all there is. There’s no joking or unwinding or banter, it’s just passion and drama and then breaking up with the characters sometimes, never to be seen again. For alleged friends, they don’t share much with each other at all. 

5 hours ago, babyrambo said:

This was a filler episode but thanks to Kit and Bob I enjoyed it. They were witty and and I liked how frank there were about their disabilities and that the show didn’t make it some overly precious PSA case of the week

I liked that too. But the solution was as far fetched as it could be. It is easy to say that you are going to hire someone to be in their house and help them but words are cheap. Try getting someone to help (maybe it is easier in some places but i have seen disabled people going through a lot of PCAs, sometimes with very traumatic experience) and most, if not all states are constantly cutting funds for this work. Home care is popular and the right thing to do, but even now we are seeing it go through the chopping block during negotiations and will probably not survive the final draft.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, bros402 said:

um Sharpe that was not the right way to use a peeler, you were holding it in a way where you are guaranteed to peel yourself - is she going to have some kind of ailment with how much she is flailing around making a sandwich?

I see people all the time on TV and in real life peeling in the wrong direction (including a friend who is an ER nurse).  Drives me nuts.

18 hours ago, circumvent said:

They didn't explain what their conservatorship covered so we were left to guess how much each one of them was deemed competent to make their own decisions. I guess the idea was that as a couple they are their own support system. It is a worthy idea to explore but the show just throw magic solutions around without any context. I don't think they would be able to get married without going before a judge first, to change the conditions of the conservatorship. at least, as the parents seem to be the guardians,  they would need their approval for the marriage. Besides, they are inmates in the psych ward. As "beautiful" as the whole thing was, it is also hard to take it seriously.

I believe they said near the start of their plot that their parents forced them to stay there.

4 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Dr. Mike?!

I have seen so many of his videos that if I see that it just pops into my head immediately

• LOL 1

I was talking to my friend who I watch this with yesterday and searched for a GIF to reply to something she said. There was actually a GIF of Floyd talking to Kapoor saying he doesn’t do family drama. 

The lie detector test has determined that that was a lie.

• LOL 7
On 10/29/2021 at 12:05 AM, Court said:

Who the fuck thinks it's a good idea to tell their husband at work about their affair?? 

Yuuup, Even though it is an open relationship, she was breaking the rules they agreed to - that's a home discussion, not something at work where the first thing he asks is "What patient is this about?"

• Like 1
  • Love 5
On 10/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, percival said:

Timothy Omundson has been around a long time--though he is actually much younger than he looked in last night's episode. "This Is Us" is one of his post-stroke roles, but before his stroke, he spent eight seasons on the beloved series "Psych" as Head Detective Carlton Lassiter. He just finished filming the third "Psych" TV movie--it'll be on Peacock streaming next month! "Supernatural" fans will know him as Cain, the impressive "father of murder." He was terrifically hilarious (and a wonderful singer too)  in the ABC musical comedy series "Galavant" -- an absolute delight you can find on Vudu or YouTube right now, and worth watching. He's been in tons of other series over the years too.

What we saw on "New Amsterdam" is the product of more than four years of intense work on his part after his massive stroke nearly killed him. When he did survive, he wasn't expected ever to walk again--much less act again. He's also relentlessly optimistic and upbeat despite tremendous challenges that derailed a very steady career. (Yes, this is my PSA and I love the guy!)

And he was great as Tyne Daly's boss on Judging Amy!!!

On 10/28/2021 at 2:04 AM, circumvent said:

Popular culture is catching up with real life representation. Also, just so that the different groups with different privileges that have always been represented might have a real understanding of how those minorities felt being silenced and ignored for such a long time.

Agreed!

• Love 2
On 10/27/2021 at 12:52 PM, percival said:

And don't forget, he was Eli on Xena:Warrior Princess! Am I dating myself now?

On 10/27/2021 at 1:56 PM, Sweet Tee said:

And Reynolds.  As I recall, he wouldn't be with Lauren because he wanted to have a black family.  Okay.  Fine.  How is he expecting to have a family with a married woman?  Is he thinking or hoping that she'll leave her husband?  I just fail to see how he's going to have this perfect family he's always dreamed of with Lynn.  Even if she does leave her husband, is that really what he wants?  For this guy to end up heartbroken and dumped by his wife?  I don't know what he's thinking but I'm tired of it and I really hope it blows up in his face.

And WHY did Floyd and Lynn think that springing this news on the husband AT WORK was a good idea? I don't care if this is a poly-arrangement, the workplace is not the place for this discussion. They're just so selfish, it's ridiculous.

On 10/27/2021 at 7:47 PM, judyri said:

And you don't just sneak off to a chapel and get married in NYC, you get the license, etc...

Is there any state that would allow this? I wonder if this was meant to be symbolic, rather than actual, especially with both of them being under conservatorship. I guess it depends on the level, but I was reminded (coincidence?) of the situation with Britney Spears, where she has spoken about all the things she has not been allowed to do without her father's consent.

On 10/29/2021 at 12:05 AM, Court said:

Who the fuck thinks it's a good idea to tell their husband at work about their affair?? 

I can't help but think that this should have been a "drinks at the house after work" discussion.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, TVForever said:

And WHY did Floyd and Lynn think that springing this news on the husband AT WORK was a good idea? I don't care if this is a poly-arrangement, the workplace is not the place for this discussion. They're just so selfish, it's ridiculous.

Is there any state that would allow this? I wonder if this was meant to be symbolic, rather than actual, especially with both of them being under conservatorship. I guess it depends on the level, but I was reminded (coincidence?) of the situation with Britney Spears, where she has spoken about all the things she has not been allowed to do without her father's consent.

I can't help but think that this should have been a "drinks at the house after work" discussion.

Yeah, it should've been drinks after work - definitely an after work discussion

I mean in Vegas you can get married on the spot. I think NJ has a required wait time of 3 days before you can get married - NY is probably similar. I know in the early 20th century, Elkton, MD was a very popular place for people on the east coast to go to get married as you could elope there.

• Useful 2
15 hours ago, bros402 said:

I mean in Vegas you can get married on the spot. I think NJ has a required wait time of 3 days before you can get married - NY is probably similar. I know in the early 20th century, Elkton, MD was a very popular place for people on the east coast to go to get married as you could elope there.

I just looked it up, and after getting the marriage license, there's a 24-hour waiting period in New York City.

• Love 1

i came looking to find a place where people are talking about the show. seems like most people here hate it. lol. why are you all still watching?  hate watching? lol

i love what they are doing with helen this season. i love that the show is taking her on a path of healing and it is because of this relationship with max (that she doesnt actually want to run from) that she sees the need to heal from her past and personal traumas and also to rediscover herself. we dont usually see that journey with women on tv (especially in a romantic pairing).  we've seen some of max confronting the ways in which he needs to heal with losing his ring (and i suspect the ambulance accident in the next episode will bring up some trauma for him as well - how could it not?). so, i'm all for helen and her healing.

as for the diversity of the couplings, i love it. for so long the default has been white couples with a black friend and maybe a gay friend. maybe an asian boss. and rarely do we know anything about those peoples lives. i feel like people who would complain about the diversity (in race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, lifestyle, disability, etc) are so used to being represented as the "norm" that anything less than being the dominant narrative feels like they've lost something. everything about new amsterdam as a show has always been about reflecting everyone, from the patients to the doctors to the people on the street. it's the truest reflection of NYC that i've seen on tv. i love it.

im into the floyd and lynn storyline. i dont know where they are taking it and im down for the ride of finding out. i find floyd so much more interesting than he's been in past seasons (as far as personal life. his doctor/patient storylines are engaging to me) because he's not "mr. perfect" (and all signs in the writing seem to be focusing on the fact that he says one thing and does another because maybe he's holding himself to an 'idea' of who he thinks he's supposed to be). i like lynn a lot. i love that she's super grounded, comfortable in her skin and, though she loves him, she doesn't preen for him. to me, she feels close to the women in his family - which is what he's said he wanted. i get why he likes her and she feels familiar to me, like women i know.  they feel real to me. i also like that we've seen floyd really pursuing a woman, which was not the case with bloom (a hookup) and evie (who was handed to him by bloom). he met a woman he has to do a little work for.  re: the poly thing. i wish they would have made her single but i think that just wouldve been too boring (and been just like his evie relationship) or maybe not had the husband working at the hospital - but, i get it, a show needs drama and it's pretty different than what i'm used to seeing on network tv (especially with black characters). to someone above's comment, when they told the husband - it was clear that she wasn't cheating or having an affair. she said "you know ive been seeing someone" and he looked and her like "um, dont talk about this in front of floyd" but then found out floyd was the one she's talking about lol. so it's clear that they have an open marriage, he just didnt know it was floyd and that's the issue for him. it's not an "affair" or cheating if they are in an open marriage. honestly, they all seem like open relationship novices to me lol. but i think the writers need to hurry up and tell us what the actual rules of the marriage are once and for all instead of breadcrumbing it.

i loved Bloom's patients! so funny and the personal stories of the actors themselves made it that much sweeter. i love that this show really makes real attempts to be inclusive and showing the world as it is vs just giving it lip service. I can't wait to see how they are going to reveal the bribe. i really hope they get into Lauren's use of her privilege vis a vis Leyla (which other residents harped on leyla about a few eps back). im so curious how they will deal with all of that. 

we're not even half of the way into the season. im letting it unfold and enjoying whatever ride the writers want to take me on. 4 seasons in, i trust them. things i might not understand now will surely be connected and tied together as the season unfolds.

• Love 2
On 11/1/2021 at 12:02 AM, BreakfastInBed95 said:

i love what they are doing with helen this season. i love that the show is taking her on a path of healing and it is because of this relationship with max (that she doesnt actually want to run from) that she sees the need to heal from her past and personal traumas and also to rediscover herself. we dont usually see that journey with women on tv (especially in a romantic pairing).  we've seen some of max confronting the ways in which he needs to heal with losing his ring (and i suspect the ambulance accident in the next episode will bring up some trauma for him as well - how could it not?). so, i'm all for helen and her healing.

Thank you.  I have been puzzled by the Helen we have been seeing, but your post makes so much sense. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

I LOOOOOOVE Dr Wilder. But Max should have told her he was leaving when she asked if Helen's job was still available. She at least needs to know that Max, whose "yes" excited her about patient care at NA is not going to be there, and Veronica will notshare the same priorities.