Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E02: Nearly Departed

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

I really appreciate that they're handling Bishop's exit different from previous agents' exits, as in Torres is actually pushing the new agent into Bishop's place and isn't trying to preserve her desk etc.

I hope that shooting a serial killer who's taken a hostage isn't going to become a problem for Gibbs. I'm all for shows moving away from law enforcement officers who frequently shoot suspects and get away with it (well, except for NCIS: LA because it's that kind of show and not at all reflective of reality in even the most miniscule way) but if that became a problem for Gibbs, it would be too contrived.

• Love 1

Good little talk between Fornell and Gibbs in his truck. They are certainly paving the way for him to retire … or move on. It was also interesting that Fornell insinuated he knew how Gibbs would die. I wonder if they’ll have him go out in a blaze of glory. I also think back to the episode where Fornell and Gibbs pretended to be Butch and Sundance, and we know how that movie ended. 

Doesn’t look like Gibbs and Marcie will be dating soon.

It was good to see Fornell more or less back to his normal self again. 

3 hours ago, mertensia said:

Ha! Fornell called Marcie Mindy when he was trying to figure out her name.

Thanks for pointing that out.  I heard it but didn't connect it.

• Love 2

So they didn't use the cashier who sold stuff to the serial assassin?  A speaking role wasted? 

And why did the drug sellers murder the drowned corpse? And the ??GF of one of the guys in the north of the lake.  I've become so accustomed to any actor who gets a few lines (and more money) has to fit into a story arc.  

And, no, even Gibbs couldn't heal from that much blood loss, in a dirty lake, with amassive puncture that would have to heal from the inside out.   Is real life violence influenced by shooters, knifers who see miracle recoveries happen in the TV?

• LOL 1
26 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

And, no, even Gibbs couldn't heal from that much blood loss, in a dirty lake, with amassive puncture that would have to heal from the inside out.   Is real life violence influenced by shooters, knifers who see miracle recoveries happen in the TV?

Ha!  This reminds me of an old epi of CSI where Catherine gets shot and is losing all this blood and is moving around and around trying to stay ahead of the assassins but a patch-up by Doc Robbins and some food and drink at a strip club is all she needs to keep going and eventually help take the bad guys down.

As for this epi, I did like the Gibbs/Fornell conversation and I also liked the fact that the killer wasn't a serial killer but a hit man.  It never made sense to me that a serial killer would try and take Gibbs and Marcie out necessarily, especially by trying to blow up Gibbs.  Obviously, this storyline is going to get extended so they can find the person/persons responsible.

• Love 1

I thought the hit man was sufficiently creepy - even in the scene where he was apprehended - and his escape from interrogation was amusing even though it was completely over the top. I hope there is some fall out from that next week.

• Love 1

OK Mr. FBI guy, you say you've been watching this suspect "for months". So what exactly were you doing when he was planting a bomb in Gibbs boat? How about when he was kidnapping a jogger, dragging her to his house, murdering her and dumping her body in a park? That is some crappy surveillance technique they are teaching in Quantico these days.

• Useful 5
  • Love 6
On 9/28/2021 at 11:37 AM, enoughcats said:

TV has always had characters get wounded and shrug it off like it never happened after an episode tops, oftentimes in the episode itself. Gibbs himself has been badly wounded on the show at least half a dozen times before this, spent a bit in the hospital and then the wound heals instantly and he's out running and jumping again. If they were being remotely realistic that puncture wound would've have Gibbs laid out for weeks if not months and been confined to a desk for even longer, and that's if he even survived.

On 9/28/2021 at 12:07 PM, milkyaqua said:

As for this epi, I did like the Gibbs/Fornell conversation and I also liked the fact that the killer wasn't a serial killer but a hit man.  It never made sense to me that a serial killer would try and take Gibbs and Marcie out necessarily, especially by trying to blow up Gibbs.  Obviously, this storyline is going to get extended so they can find the person/persons responsible.

Honestly I hated that revelation. It would've made significantly more sense if this guy was a serial killer as originally presented. A contract killer would both have much more efficient means of killing their targets and know how to dispose of a body all without leaving a trace, it's kinda a prerequisite to be competent at the job. Not to mention the fact that nobody including the FBI that had been following the guy "for months" noticed that all the victims apparently had cause to be targets of a contract killing. Everything involved including trying to go after Marcie and trying to kill Gibbs (who were openly investigating him keep in mind) would fit much better if this guy whose name I don't even remember was simply a serial killer.

The whole "contract killer" thing seems contrived to give a Big Bad for the remainder of the season.

16 hours ago, Rambler said:

OK Mr. FBI guy, you say you've been watching this suspect "for months". So what exactly were you doing when he was planting a bomb in Gibbs boat? How about when he was kidnapping a jogger, dragging her to his house, murdering her and dumping her body in a park? That is some crappy surveillance technique they are teaching in Quantico these days.

Not to mention this FBI guy was standing around watching this "contract killer" for months while wearing the exact same disguise all the time and in plain sight. This supposed "contract killer" not noticing the guy following him around is where my suspension of disbelief gets broken.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Helloooooo Agent Parker! Damn but Gary Cole is now on my list of Silver Haired Foxes!❤️💕❤️💕❤️

I was at the dentist’s office and was sort of able to watch most of this. But will rewatch on my teevee later.

But FUCK YOU, writers, for the Gibbs and Marcie tease, depriving me of seeing Mark and Pam as love interests for their characters! Because they have good chemistry!!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

So the most inept serial killer is Cokehead* Collin? I never watched Third Watch or whatever that show was, so Jason Wiles will always be Cokehead Collin, also making Kelly’s “I choose me” as the LIE it was!

Whaaat?

*Druggie artist boyfriend of Kelly Taylor and supposed love of Valerie’s life on original Beverly Hills, 90210

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

depriving me of seeing Mark and Pam as love interests for their characters! Because they have good chemistry!!!!🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Maybe she’ll be back, after all, according to Kasie, Gibbs is now willing to use a tablet. Remember Marcie’s parting words, “Text me!”, uttered more than once. He did look disappointed that she was going away to a remote cabin (and somewhat relieved to find out it was with a female friend). 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Daff said:

Maybe she’ll be back, after all, according to Kasie, Gibbs is now willing to use a tablet. Remember Marcie’s parting words, “Text me!”, uttered more than once. He did look disappointed that she was going away to a remote cabin (and somewhat relieved to find out it was with a female friend). 

I got the sense (because they were being vague about it) that Marcie and Mitch were more than friends. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I know it is all fake and they were all acting, but did anyone cringe during Gibbs fight scene?  It was like watching someone try to beat up my grandpa.  I love Gibbs and I think Mark Harmon has aged well, but he is to old for hand to hand fighting.

Edited by MommySusan1
  • Like 1
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I got the sense (because they were being vague about it) that Marcie and Mitch were more than friends. 

How times have changed.  Years ago, everyone would've thought Marcie was going to the cabin with just her best friend.   

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

How times have changed.  Years ago, everyone would've thought Marcie was going to the cabin with just her best friend.   

The way Marcie was talking about her: telling Gibbs she took his advice and “talked” to Mitch/opened up, etc. it looked to me as if Mitch was someone who was a significant other,  not just a friend, let alone best friend.

Like I posted, I need to rewatch because I missed some things. Maybe Marcie mentioned Mitch was her best friend.

.  I liked the nod to "Mork and Mindy" reference by Fornell.

.  Woke America really hasn't touched NCIS but that might change.  The show left it up to us viewers to decide what Agent Knight meant when she commented that Marcie isn't Gibbs "type".  Then we see Marcie going on a trip to Mitch's cabin with Mitch...a woman.  Also, how would Knight know that Marcie isn't Gibbs type?  Hmm!

.  I was disappointed that the show went the "contract killer" route.  I really thought that Marcie could turn out to be the serial killer.  Whoever is hiring these hitmen, I still think it has to be someone we've seen or know.

.  Despite which way Knight might swing, I got the feeling that Knight and Jimmy might have a "thing" in the future.

.  When the contract killer had Kasie at gun point I yelled out "YES!  Kill Kasie and being back Abby!!"

That's all!   

1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The way Marcie was talking about her: telling Gibbs she took his advice and “talked” to Mitch/opened up, etc. it looked to me as if Mitch was someone who was a significant other,  not just a friend, let alone best friend.

Like I posted, I need to rewatch because I missed some things. Maybe Marcie mentioned Mitch was her best friend.

You might be right, I don't recall Marcie mentioning Mitch before. 

I burst out laughing on the line “ sometimes the bad guys get away” because they ALWAYS do on NCIS😂 ( usually because they announce themselves when they’re at least a block away🙄.    Then they finally catch someone and it’s a good guy- Gary Cole😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/2/2021 at 10:42 AM, rr2911 said:

Not necessarily. Throughout my lifetime I’ve enjoyed friendships with both gay and straight folks. My best friend and I rented cabins and houseboats and enjoyed vacations, travel and food together. People talked…we laughed about it. I was particularly thrilled when I was invited to join a 50 and over softball team, not because they were all lesbians, but because they were good at the game!  My work friend on that team warned me that “people would talk”. I told her I didn’t care, was confident in who I was, and I don’t pass judgment on anyone’s lifestyle. That’s what came from growing up female in the 50s and 60s, constantly being told, “You can’t DO that, you’re a girl!” I should be in a Duluth or John Deer ad-I own way too many power tools!

• Love 3

Would the glass in the interrogation room break that easily?  I have to think people have thrown a chair at it a time or two, and it would be a lot more shatter resistant.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, lh25 said:

it would be a lot more shatter resistant.  

I'd like to see a "no dead bodies or even body parts" for NCIS.  

It might have to be more cerebral, but they could start with tracking down the contractor who messed up and installed the wrong 'glass' in the interrogation room.  Then see what other contracts that company had won, and who was the (possible) sugar daddy in the RFPs who made sure that that company kept winning contracts?

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 10/3/2021 at 11:09 AM, Daff said:

Not necessarily. Throughout my lifetime I’ve enjoyed friendships with both gay and straight folks. My best friend and I rented cabins and houseboats and enjoyed vacations, travel and food together. People talked…we laughed about it. I was particularly thrilled when I was invited to join a 50 and over softball team, not because they were all lesbians, but because they were good at the game!  My work friend on that team warned me that “people would talk”. I told her I didn’t care, was confident in who I was, and I don’t pass judgment on anyone’s lifestyle. That’s what came from growing up female in the 50s and 60s, constantly being told, “You can’t DO that, you’re a girl!” I should be in a Duluth or John Deer ad-I own way too many power tools!

Well, I was really referring to television shows not real life.  I guess I should've explained in more detail but I was getting sleepy by then.

This subplot to the season is pretty interesting. Hopefully they don’t pull a NOLA and completely switch tracks. 

for those of you who missed the NOLA final season, the first few episodes had Pride work on this community council where he could try to solve some of the age old problems in the city including corrupt police, but then they interjected a subplot about his long lost son with an old fling who turned into a criminal kingpin. 

• Love 1

1.  Marcie drove off in a convertible, she’ll be back in a convertible at some point to pick up Gibbs (like the redhead who dropped him off in early seasons). Just that they are now both gray. No need for the ‘woke america’ nonsense (honestly, folks still say that when they don’t like something??). I may be wrong and she was driving off with her lover—that’s a good ending for her arc too. PS: I think the joke about Marcie not being Gibbs type was a joke for viewers in the know that Pam & Mark have been married for decades.
2. Finally figured out why I liked the new female agent almost from start…had to IMDb her, but she was lead actress in one of my mom’s favorite Hallmark Christmas movies, Snow Bride. Always had to watch it annually when home w/mom. May have to look it up this year…

Ive been out for quite a long time, but for here & there. I will likely be out when Gibbs is gone, but have enjoyed his last few episodes. 

Edited by pennben

OMG when the Director busted in at the beginning on their little barn hootenanny!!!

So the mountain came to Mohammed!!!!

I love when they do great comedy writing.

Why didnt they look in the dumpsters??

It hit me, I used to watch the villian Tommy in Beverly Hills 90210!!!!

Fornell and Jimmy, LOVED IT. And I am glad Fornell cut his hair.

I really like the new agent, she has vibrance and life unlike Bishop whose breathy deliverance put me to sleep, it was like watching molasses flow out a tree trunk listening to her speak.

MORE GARY COLE!!!!!!!!

Bishop wasn't my girlfriend!! LOL!! Ok Torres.

LOL Tobias macking on Marcie making Gibbs jealous.