Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E10: Promos and Pilots

• Start Topic

Best part of the show for me: Sarah being eliminated. I could not stand the thought of all of her THs if she got a pilot.

Worst part of the show for me: Lenny in a blue silk cowboy shirt. I had to hold up my hand to block that out.

Nicole is just not coming across as watchable, to me. When she talked about global coastal cuisine, and they questioned her about that, my mind immediately went back to the prosciutto. She has no idea what she's talking about, I think, and I wouldn't spend time or money making anything she presents. And her claw hands, when she talks, is so distracting. There's something about her voice....it's borderline chalkboard scratch. Louisiana is a big drinking mecca? I think she'd be limited in attracting viewers from all the states that don't have fresh seafood that is affordable. When I think New Orleans seafood, I think of a crawfish boil, not clams.

Luca, honey, you look good but you just don't do anything for me food-wise. Italian has been done to death on this network and others. The dish looked like worms, the one he ate with the lady. I still can't understand him unless I am watching him talk.

I forgot for a minute or two that Lenny made awful videos when I watched his pilot. They really paid more attention to him interacting with the restaurant owner than they did with the others. And they showed more photos of him outside of the kitchen than anyone else. That steak looked pretty darn good.

The one thing I think Lenny has going for him over the other two, is the dishes he'd cook are things people can find in their local grocery stores, and it wouldn't be too costly. Grilling chicken, steak, local proteins, etc.

Should be interesting next Sunday. :)

• Love 3

Sarah looked stupid in her very short skirt and cowboy boots. I am glad that she is gone. Nicole's clams didn't look very fresh in her pilot, some were open when she dumped them into the pot.

So Nicole wants to travel the world on the Food Networks dime? Susie shut that shit down with the quickness!

I'm throwing up in my mouth as I type this but I missed having Guy as the pilot mentor. I'm so over Robert Irvine and his arrogance it's not even funny anymore.

Of the three dishes, I would only make Lenny's. Damn.

• Love 5

Of the three, I would be most inclined to watch Nicole, but I live on the coast, so it would be nice to see seafood presented.

At least Sarah finally got the boot.  What was she thinking with that plaid shirt and short skirt with the tall boots.  That was not an attractive look for her at all.

Why can't I warm up to Nicole ? There is something about her I just don't like. She's just not natural. I thought her demo was the worst out of the three. She actually had to have a hit of beer to loosen up. I think it's between Luca or Lenny and based on how Susie and Giada feel about Luca I'm thinking that he might win this. The only thing I'm confused about is why they would want a second Italian cook on the network.

• Love 1

Since viewing the vulgar Lenny videos circulating on the internet this past week, I found it extremely disturbing to watch him tonight.  He's such a colossal fraud, and, of course, I just voted for him so I can see how the Food Network will handle the fallout if he wins!   Nicole is a snooze, and Luca is OK, except I just can't with his greasy looking hair.  He did give some interesting tips, though.  Susie Fogelson has such a bizarre way of speaking...it's as though she's clenching her teeth when she speaks.  It was entertaining to watch tonight, that's for sure.

I hate saying this -- hell, I feel dirty for saying this -- but after the three pilots, I'm Team Lenny.

Nicole's idea looks just as stupid on "air" as it sounded throughout the show, and Luca ate worms and made a sauce for a fish that looked as though it was cooked for about 78 days.  No.  Absolutely not.

By the way, with Sarah gone, she gives another few reasons to hate her in this list:  http://www.sarahpenrod.com/#!40-Unbelievable-Hilarious-and-Shocking-Facts-about-the-12-Food-Network-Star-Finalists/c231d/2DFC3455-3A22-42AB-A764-737EBA2A7B27

• Love 1

Since viewing the vulgar Lenny videos circulating on the internet this past week, I found it extremely disturbing to watch him tonight. He's such a colossal fraud, and, of course, I just voted for him so I can see how the Food Network will handle the fallout if he wins! Nicole is a snooze, and Luca is OK, except I just can't with his greasy looking hair. He did give some interesting tips, though. Susie Fogelson has such a bizarre way of speaking...it's as though she's clenching her teeth when she speaks. It was entertaining to watch tonight, that's for sure.

Yeah his hair was gross. Was that hair gel or did he just not wash? And ick! He cooked looking that nasty. I think he's going to win it because Susie wants to get in his pants. Did you see how she lit up when he was presenting his show pitch? My only hesitation is why two Italian cooks and I hope they have subtitles for his shows. He doesn't articulate well at all. Giada's from Italy too but I can't detect any accent at all from her.

Edited by SusannahTaylor3

Giada was born in Rome but moved here as a child. Luca was born and raised in Italy, I don't think he's been here that long. Which is why his accent is so heavy. I also caught the camera lingering on Giada with that three-thousand teeth smile of hers every time Luca spoke.

• Love 1

I officially don't care who wins at this point.

If forced to choose, I'd pick Nicole. And I don't even eat seafood.

I honestly think it's going to be between the two men. Never mind that it is traditionally a man and woman as the final two. Is she going to have to get drunk every time she goes on air? She definitely had a buzz going. That's the only way she was able to loosen up.

Giada was born in Rome but moved here as a child. Luca was born and raised in Italy, I don't think he's been here that long. Which is why his accent is so heavy. I also caught the camera lingering on Giada with that three-thousand teeth smile of hers every time Luca spoke.

Oh yeah both of them want him and the woman who was in the promo with him wanted him too. I must be weird because I just don't see the appeal but each to his own I guess.

Thank you, thank you, no more Sarah.  Now I don't really care, honestly.  I don't know if there is enough "there" to Nicole's idea; Italian food is hardly anything new; and I guess Lenny's cyberpast is icky.  I haven't minded his cowboy mannerisms, although I know they bug the daylights out of some people.  But it's kind of a dismal final three from a dismal original pool.  Meh.

• Love 4

So what is the plan for next week's show beside announcing the winner?

Oh they'll probably do that showing funny clips from the shows and the other contestants will reminisce. If it's like last year, they will show the demos and they will eliminate one to bring it to two and then the big announcement.

So what is the plan for next week's show beside announcing the winner?

It will be a look back at the season, comments from the three amigos and the big buildup to the winner being announced. Champagne, confetti, yada yada. :)

I don't get it.  All Paula Deen, someone with a long history on FN, who is supposedly beloved by millions has to do is say the "n" word 30 years ago and FN and the world turns their back on her, but this poser from nowhere with crazy eyes who stalks radio hosts gets a pass from both FN and the public even after uttering sleazy profanity including the "c" word.  If that isn't proof of a double standard between men and women, I don't know what is.  I suspected it when they sent Martha Stewart to jail, but now I'm sure of it.  I am thoroughly demoralized at tonight's outcome.  I gave FN the benefit of the doubt but they really ARE that stupid!

Edited by Intuition
  • Love 7

Thank you, thank you, no more Sarah.  Now I don't really care, honestly.  I don't know if there is enough "there" to Nicole's idea; Italian food is hardly anything new; and I guess Lenny's cyberpast is icky.  I haven't minded his cowboy mannerisms, although I know they bug the daylights out of some people.  But it's kind of a dismal final three from a dismal original pool.  Meh.

I agree. They are a dismal final three. I'm also glad Sarah is gone. Nicole has a lot of options with her idea, but I think she alienates people who don't eat seafood. Yeah Italian is not so exciting yet he could provide options that Giada might not food wise. Plus he can use meat, chicken and seafood with Italian so it's not as limiting. I just for some reason can see a Lenny / Luca final two. I think Lenny is the more camera ready of the three.

Is anyone voting? I'm not because it doesn't matter how we feel. It's up to Susie and Bob no matter what the vote is.

I am voting for either Luca or Nicole even though I'm not in love with either, just because it's a vote against Lenny.  I like both of them, but I hate Lenny after that video.  I am sorry I don't care what he did or how he cooks I can't support him.

• Love 2

At least Sarah finally got the boot.  What was she thinking with that plaid shirt and short skirt with the tall boots.  That was not an attractive look for her at all.

And we girls in Texas quit wearing boots with dresses at about age 5.

Edited by whinewithwine
  • Love 1

Lenny seemed to have a big crush on Robert Irvine.

I noticed that!  He was flustered around him, that's for sure and I've actually suspected before that he switches teams given his stalking behavior with that male talk show host.  I didn't think he did so well in the challenge before Sarah's elimination.  Sarah should have gone home weeks ago but still, just based on performance I think Lenny bombed it.  His "pilot" looked much better and I think they gave him every advantage in the appealing department.  I actually think they gave Nicole the worst situation to make appealing.

Edited by Intuition

Overall, I found this a pretty meh episode.  Nothing too offensive or more ridiculous than usual or make me root against any of these finalists.  Nothing so great that I want to root for them and watch their show.

Of course, other than this show, the extent of my exposure to Food Network is surfing the web for screen-caps of Giada nip-slips.

But it did seem a bit contradictory when Irvine told Nicole to back off the "recipe" information and pile on the "personal stories", but then turned around and told Luca that success depended on how much information he imparted.  

• Love 1

She's ridiculous. I really do think she thought she would be doing a promo instead of some of the others. She probably thought based on Lenny's feedback he would be the one to go and she would be that much closer to the win. Did you notice how Bobby and Alton had nice things to say to her when she wasn't picked but all Giada could say was you did a good job. She hates Sarah and probably Nicole too. She always seems to favor the men.

Overall, I found this a pretty meh episode.  Nothing too offensive or more ridiculous than usual or make me root against any of these finalists.  Nothing so great that I want to root for them and watch their show.

Of course, other than this show, the extent of my exposure to Food Network is surfing the web for screen-caps of Giada nip-slips.

But it did seem a bit contradictory when Irvine told Nicole to back off the "recipe" information and pile on the "personal stories", but then turned around and told Luca that success depended on how much information he imparted.

I think Robert did that with Luca because he told the stories but at first didn't give too much info about the food. Nicole doesn't share personal stories easily and Robert had to bring that side out in her.
I honestly think that Guy or Alton would be the best choices to do the demo. I know Alton is a judge but he dies seem to bring the best out of the finalists as does Guy.

To go along with the previous points, I'd let Guy, Jeff Mauro and Damaris host this train wreck of a show.  They actually know what it means to go through this and come out the other end as Food Network stars.  

Alton and Bobby just look bored, while Giada alternates between bitchy and sporting wood, depending on which contestant is facing her.

• Love 4

Can't stand Nicole. She's a complete phony. And why substitute clams for shrimp or crawfish just because clams are "Jersey Shore"?

Luca is definitely not ear-candy. So Ciao, Luca, next week.

That leaves Lenny, the male counterpart to the Pioneer Woman. Meh.

To go along with the previous points, I'd let Guy, Jeff Mauro and Damaris host this train wreck of a show.  They actually know what it means to go through this and come out the other end as Food Network stars.  

Alton and Bobby just look bored, while Giada alternates between bitchy and sporting wood, depending on which contestant is facing her.

That is a great idea. Maybe they could be mentors while the other three leave that role and just judge. Or Bobby, Alton, and Giada could just go away. I do get the impression with Alton that none of the three finalists or previous contestants blow him away and he wishes he could be anywhere but there at the moment. Bobby has been looking disengaged lately. Maybe it's time for new hosts.

I can't get the copy and paste to work...grrrr

Brooklynista...I don't mind Irvine that much but tonight i didn't like him at all so I was missing Guy too.  I hate to admit it but I've always thought he did a good job helping with the pilots.

I finally figured out why i could never get behind Nicole...she's boring.  

I thought Lenny was awful all the way around.  I think they snuck him back after hours and filmed until he got things half right and then edited like crazy.

I couldn't understand about 3/4 of what Luca was saying.  And I didnt get the connection between the two dishes.  I still voted for him though to hopefully help keep Cowboy Creepy from winning.

Is the universe truly controlled by Facebook now? Why does everything online require a Facebook account now?

ACK!

When I tried to log into my puny little local ISP email account yesterday, I got a page that read:

"We want to be sure you are who you say you are, so please sign in through your Facebook account.  Don't have a Facebook account?  It's easy to sign up!  [link] "

WHAT THE FUCK?!

In the first place, the only FB account I have is fake, so not exactly "who I say I am" AT ALL.  I created said account because I chose not to "share" my info with FB. 

The noose tightens.

Sorry.  Had to get that off my chest. 

• Love 5

I can tell you that in at least two states other than Texas, the wanna-be self-proclaimed "proud rednecks" are still sporting that look.  A coworker in Vegas' daughter wore boots with her wedding dress and all the bridesmaids wore them too.  The bride and bridesmaids even posed for a photo with all of them holding shotguns...true story.  I think THEY think that's how Texas gals dress.

Topic?  I'm suspecting they may go with Nicole as the "safe" winner.  Paula Deen wasn't really fired only for saying the "n" word 30 years ago (there were many more instances of poor judgment and behaviors), and I can't imagine Food Network would want to go through all that negative publicity again, what with Lenny supporters and the anti-Lenny contingent potentially coming to virtual blows.

• Love 1

Hmm well I ended up liking all 3 pilots, I still would never give Lenny a single vote now though all things considered. Robert Irvine was tough like I figured he would be but I liked him as the director for them.  If this wasn't fan voted I would say Lucas has it in the bag because the judges loved him, and Susie and Giada were looking at him with the same googly eyes Susie used to have anytime she looked at Jeff Mauro. Just glancing at the FN Facebook page it looks like a lot of people are rooting for Lenny and Luca.

I can't get the copy and paste to work...grrrr

Brooklynista...I don't mind Irvine that much but tonight i didn't like him at all so I was missing Guy too.  I hate to admit it but I've always thought he did a good job helping with the pilots.

I finally figured out why i could never get behind Nicole...she's boring.  

I thought Lenny was awful all the way around.  I think they snuck him back after hours and filmed until he got things half right and then edited like crazy.

I couldn't understand about 3/4 of what Luca was saying.  And I didnt get the connection between the two dishes.  I still voted for him though to hopefully help keep Cowboy Creepy from winning.

Guy had a way of putting them at ease. His style works for nervous , jittery finalists. Plus he was where they are now once.

On the bottom of the post you want to quote you will see three icons: thumbs up, a triangle with an exclamation mark and quote marks. Click the quote marks then a small box comes up. Click that box and the post you are replying to will be in a new typing window.

Regarding the show, Emma was the last contestant whose face didn't contort into a huge fake smile-grimace as soon as she heard the word "Action!"  The finalists all look like someone just touched the blue wire to the red wire.

• Love 1

I can tell you that in at least two states other than Texas, the wanna-be self-proclaimed "proud rednecks" are still sporting that look.  A coworker in Vegas' daughter wore boots with her wedding dress and all the bridesmaids wore them too.  The bride and bridesmaids even posed for a photo with all of them holding shotguns...true story.  I think THEY think that's how Texas gals dress.

Topic?  I'm suspecting they may go with Nicole as the "safe" winner.  Paula Deen wasn't really fired only for saying the "n" word 30 years ago (there were many more instances of poor judgment and behaviors), and I can't imagine Food Network would want to go through all that negative publicity again, what with Lenny supporters and the anti-Lenny contingent potentially coming to virtual blows.

I honestly can't see them choosing Nicole to win. I think she is the throwaway contestant since they didn't like Sarah. I do think it will be between Lenny and Luca.

Regarding the show, Emma was the last contestant whose face didn't contort into a huge fake smile-grimace as soon as she heard the word "Action!"  The finalists all look like someone just touched the blue wire to the red wire.

I agree with this. She was the most genuine but she just couldn't keep the momentum going. She started to stay stagnant while the others were growing and improving.

Wow.  This has been a disappointing season.  There's usually someone I would watch in the mix, but not this year.  Why don't they let some of the contestants from "Chopped" have a shot?  At least they have mad cooking skills.   I think they have things turned around.  They look for people with personality and hope they can cook.  I would start by assembling the best chefs I could find, and the competition would then revolve around finding one of those great cooks who can teach as well as he/she can cook. 

• Love 1

Finally!  I was overjoyed to see the last of Sarah.  I'm inclined to think the final two are going to be Lenny and Luca.  I haven't disliked Nicole all along but she's bored me.  Tonight she rubbed me the wrong way.  There was something about her attitude and voice that I found annoying plus watching her drink beer out of the bottle three times said "no class"  to me.  That's OK at home in the backyard but not on a TV cooking show.  Lenny's pilot was good.  If it weren't for what we now know about his videos, I'd be hard pressed to decide between him and Luca.  I like Luca and I don't have much trouble understanding him.  I hope he wins. 

I've noticed during every episode that Luca seems to be wearing a wedding ring so I assume he's married.  I don't recall any mention of that being made at any time by anyone. 

I didn't catch who the woman was Luca visited in the Italian restaurant - chef or owner.  Either way, she was gorgeous.  I wonder if FN has ever tried to get her on a show.

Finally!  I was overjoyed to see the last of Sarah.  I'm inclined to think the final two are going to be Lenny and Luca.  I haven't disliked Nicole all along but she's bored me.  Tonight she rubbed me the wrong way.  There was something about her attitude and voice that I found annoying plus watching her drink beer out of the bottle three times said "no class"  to me.  That's OK at home in the backyard but not on a TV cooking show.  Lenny's pilot was good.  If it weren't for what we now know about his videos, I'd be hard pressed to decide between him and Luca.  I like Luca and I don't have much trouble understanding him.  I hope he wins. 

I've noticed during every episode that Luca seems to be wearing a wedding ring so I assume he's married.  I don't recall any mention of that being made at any time by anyone. 

I didn't catch who the woman was Luca visited in the Italian restaurant - chef or owner.  Either way, she was gorgeous.  I wonder if FN has ever tried to get her on a show.

I think she was one of the owners of the restaurant Luca was visiting. He definitely was knocked out by her looks. He couldn't even speak at first. I've also seen a wedding ring on his finger not that it means anything.

I think its sad that Nicole had to get a buzz on to do her demo. I thought the whole thing looked forced and Nicole was not herself. She was swigging down the beer while her friends were eating. Definitely the weakest out of the three.

• Love 2