Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Da Da

DanaK
  • Start Topic

An attack by cyber criminals sends the Chastain ER into a tailspin and Kit tries to figure out whether or not to pay the ransom. The Raptor deals with a personal connection to the patients brought into the ER during the attack, leaving them all vulnerable. Meanwhile, Conrad works on balancing life as a new dad and Devon and Leela debate taking the next step in their relationship in the all-new "Da Da" season premiere episode of THE RESIDENT airing Tuesday, Sept. 21 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX.

• Love 1

Did this show not already have a hospital gets hacked episode? Or am I mixing it up with all the other hospital shows that have already done it?

I did like Devon's friend who exposed the asshole hackers.

Conrad and Nic's baby is super adorable. I kept wondering if they had to do something to the actor baby to get her to keep crying or if they just waited until she cried naturally. It seems mean to make a baby cry so much on purpose. It was also very obvious that she didn't really say "dada" in that last scene. But I'll forgive them since she was so cute otherwise (and I am not normally a baby person).

I guess there is some kind of chemical leak that was making the hospital workers sick and made the blind guy and Devon pass out. I know there was a lot going on but shouldn't there have been more people around to check for patients and workers going missing?

• Love 5

Ok first of all, one of the reasons I liked this show over other hospital shows is that it didn't show PDA among staff in the hospital.  So I don't need to see Devon and whatshername pawing each other anymore.  At least she did say is was inappropriate so I hope that's the last we see of it. 

I hope Devon's friend who exposed the hackers was well compensated by the hospital.

Based on the previews, I fear something bad has happened to Nic.  

And yes, that baby was adorable and I liked the childcare woman.

• Love 8

This is like the third or fourth hospital gets hacked storyline I've seen in the past couple years. 

That baby was super cute and good casting. She looked like she could be Nic and Conrad's daughter. Those scenes kind of had an ominous tone for me though. I fear Nic is going to have an accident on her way home.

• Love 12

Clearly, Nic isn't going to make it back alive.  

I still wonder what the actor playing Irving has to do to become a regular cast member. 

I continue to be confused by the staffing situation at Chastain.  On the one hand, it seems so short handed that the area where they put on casts only has one nurse working (was she even a nurse? -- seemed like more of a clerk).  On the other hand, literally every top doctor (at least all whose names appear in the opening credits) apparently have no other patients and are able to devote themselves exclusively to the care of just two patients. 

I might have been more invested in the hacking storyline if it hadn't literally been done the night before on 911. 

1 hour ago, Crashcourse said:

I liked the childcare woman.

I have to strongly disagree here.  I found her gratingly annoying.  She didn't seem very good at her job.  Did she really expect Conrad, an ER doctor with a multi-patient trauma arriving, to just not rush to the ER and instead spend 15 minutes helping the child adjust to the daycare (which she apparently had been to before)?  Then, she, a supposed childcare professional, was unable to soothe a crying baby.  She had to call Conrad away from his patients to come calm her down.  (And if Unchained Melody soothes the baby, wouldn't Conrad and/or Nic have told the daycare this ahead of time so they would have known how to handle the situation?)  Finally, she prevents Conrad from going to see his own daughter once she has calmed down.  Isn't one of the main selling points of having an onsite daycare that parents can check in on their kids during the work day?  Nope, did not like daycare lady.  At. All. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Conrad and Nic's baby is super adorable. I kept wondering if they had to do something to the actor baby to get her to keep crying or if they just waited until she cried naturally. It seems mean to make a baby cry so much on purpose. It was also very obvious that she didn't really say "dada" in that last scene. But I'll forgive them since she was so cute otherwise (and I am not normally a baby person).

Often they will use twins as babies, toddlers etc so the film makers can get more filming done, due to child labour laws and the very limited amount of time babies can be filmed for.  I imagine that also makes it easier to get a couple of shots of "a" crying baby.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Bulldog said:

it seems so short handed that the area where they put on casts only has one nurse working

Agree. And what kind of nurse or receptionist just leaves her work station without calling in a relief, or at least wait until the patient is actually being taken care?? Totally ridiculous and unbelievable!

• Love 7
11 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

Did this show not already have a hospital gets hacked episode? Or am I mixing it up with all the other hospital shows that have already done it?

One of the last episodes of The Good Doctor did it. 

Nice note in the CC's: the last song was "played" by Bruce Greenwood. I couldn't tell if he was singing as well or just playing the piano though. 

• Useful 1
9 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I have to strongly disagree here.  I found her gratingly annoying.  She didn't seem very good at her job.  Did she really expect Conrad, an ER doctor with a multi-patient trauma arriving, to just not rush to the ER and instead spend 15 minutes helping the child adjust to the daycare (which she apparently had been to before)?  Then, she, a supposed childcare professional, was unable to soothe a crying baby.  She had to call Conrad away from his patients to come calm her down.  (And if Unchained Melody soothes the baby, wouldn't Conrad and/or Nic have told the daycare this ahead of time so they would have known how to handle the situation?)  Finally, she prevents Conrad from going to see his own daughter once she has calmed down.  Isn't one of the main selling points of having an onsite daycare that parents can check in on their kids during the work day?  Nope, did not like daycare lady.  At. All. 

Agreed, although I do know the childcare worker also made a comment at the beginning about Conrad not being able to stick around for the 15 minute transition period (I guess due to him being needed right away in the ER) so I guess we're supposed to deduce that Conrad not sticking around when he dropped Gigi off meant that she was going to have a harder time adjusting to a day without him. Or something.

9-1-1 also just had their premiere focus on a hacker attack. Now I'm just waiting for show #3 to do it too.

I will say, the cases this week worked well. I felt so bad for the 14 year old girl, who just lost her dad and almost died herself. 

I don't like the looming threat over Nic right now. 

So, there definitely is some sort of gas leak or chemical leak in that area where Devon's patient ended up going to get his cast. I can't really blame the receptionist/nurse to have not called anyone to cover her. I'm guessing she had been slowly poisoned by the leak for a number of hours, at least, so she clearly wasn't thinking straight. But that poor patient who I presume is in the room where the leak is, and poor Devon, who surely has gotten caught in it too.

• Love 3

The woman in the cast department did say they were short staffed because the other person had gone home sick and that she herself had the worst headache in her life. I think they’ll find her passed out somewhere. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

When Devon was looking for his blind patient at the end, I thought he was going to walk into a room and stumble onto a bunch of unconscious people (patients and staff).  Where did all the other people who work on that floor go?  The entire hospital is always packed with people, but in this one area where you go to get casts, there's no one around.

If Kit thinks she's saved the hospital a lot of money from that ransomware thing, wait until the blind patient sues them for $10 million for practically killing him!

• Love 7
12 minutes ago, Gregg247 said:

When Devon was looking for his blind patient at the end, I thought he was going to walk into a room and stumble onto a bunch of unconscious people (patients and staff).  Where did all the other people who work on that floor go?  The entire hospital is always packed with people, but in this one area where you go to get casts, there's no one around.

According to the receptionist/nurse, the other staff went home because they weren't feeling well (definitely due to the leak) and I assume the leak had been slowly building up throughout the course of the day, so the staff still managed to get through almost all of their patients before the end of the day. 

I would think that department would be slightly more busy, but they did try to explain it.

• Useful 2

Once again I must reiterate, I hate, hate, hate drama shows where they add babies into the mix.  It's always a distraction that adds nothing to the storylines. The only saving grace coming out of this one was Dr. Cain is gone.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, MsTree said:

Agree. And what kind of nurse or receptionist just leaves her work station without calling in a relief, or at least wait until the patient is actually being taken care?? Totally ridiculous and unbelievable!

I think she was under the influence of whatever was making everyone sick/pass out.

12 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

According to the receptionist/nurse, the other staff went home because they weren't feeling well (definitely due to the leak) and I assume the leak had been slowly building up throughout the course of the day, so the staff still managed to get through almost all of their patients before the end of the day. 

I would think that department would be slightly more busy, but they did try to explain it.

After the hack the hospital was closed to trauma. So there weren't any new patients after the blind guy, which explains why it seemed so empty. 

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Useful 5

I seriously wonder if the writers ever had kids. From what I remember when my daughter was that little, there was no 15-minute transition period when dropping her off at daycare—the longer the parent hangs around, the tougher it is for the child to adjust. Also, the baby constantly saying “mama” but never “dada” was completely unrealistic. Babies normally frustrate the heck out of their moms by saying “dada” a lot earlier than “mama” because the “d” sound is easier for them than “m”.

I missed seeing Morris Chestnut, but I can’t say I really miss the character of Dr. Cain. Will have to check out his new show.

I thought for sure Devon would find the woman with the nasty headache passed out on the floor before he ever found the blind guy. (Kept wondering where I’d seen him before—turns out he was Thor in Nurse Jackie.)

It’s still kind of amusing that Dr. Bell is such a highly regarded surgeon again… apparently HODAD has been completely forgotten.

• Love 6

Did Bell start taking medication for his tremors or something?  I can't remember.  But maybe he did and that's why he doesn't constantly kill people and is awesome at surgery?

The daycare worker annoyed me too.  The crying scene was so stupid.  There's no way they'd pull a normal employee in for something like that, let alone an ER doc dealing with critical traumas.  The baby was not annoying though.  I feel like they've really exceeded my expectations with this baby.  There wasn't drama around her birth, it just happened off screen.  They skipped past her being a crying newborn keeping Nic and Conrad up all night.  She was in the show but wasn't really a focus and wasn't annoying.  If she can keep from having a medical crisis every week, she might end up being the best TV baby ever.

Is Nic getting written off?  She isn't on the "Meet the Cast" page on the Fox website.  And as others have said, they were laying the foreshadowing on pretty thick for her to have a wreck.

• Love 4

I think Bell has been better ever since he took the meds. 

Why did they have to kill off the dad? That poor girl without a father and a mom that left her. Blah.

Thats some shitty hospital nursery calling when a baby is crying instead of handling it like most daycares do. Aren’t all the workers that drop off the kids there hospital workers?

So I  guess they are writing off Emily by killing off her character. Now Conrad has to struggle being a single doctor dad, so it’s inevitable that the baby will have a health scare by the end of the season.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 2

I hope they don't kill Nik, it's too close to New Amsterdam . Maybe she can be in a coma offscreen. 

I'm glad that Esty had an uncle at least. As a parent I never stop worrying about who will take care of my child id something happens to me.

Even if the imaging wasn't working and the ER closed, I still find it strange that no living person went to the ortho department, not even the cleaning staff.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1
On 9/22/2021 at 8:39 AM, Lady Calypso said:

Agreed, although I do know the childcare worker also made a comment at the beginning about Conrad not being able to stick around for the 15 minute transition period (I guess due to him being needed right away in the ER) so I guess we're supposed to deduce that Conrad not sticking around when he dropped Gigi off meant that she was going to have a harder time adjusting to a day without him. Or something.

9-1-1 also just had their premiere focus on a hacker attack. Now I'm just waiting for show #3 to do it too.

I will say, the cases this week worked well. I felt so bad for the 14 year old girl, who just lost her dad and almost died herself. 

I don't like the looming threat over Nic right now. 

So, there definitely is some sort of gas leak or chemical leak in that area where Devon's patient ended up going to get his cast. I can't really blame the receptionist/nurse to have not called anyone to cover her. I'm guessing she had been slowly poisoned by the leak for a number of hours, at least, so she clearly wasn't thinking straight. But that poor patient who I presume is in the room where the leak is, and poor Devon, who surely has gotten caught in it too.

1. I am guessing that since it's the janitor's closet, it's good ol' mustard gas (bleach and ammonia) - since that looked like it was burning Devon's throat.

2. Why didn't the blind guy READ THE BRAILLE ON THE SIGN BEFORE ENTERING THE JANITORS CLOSET? He wouldn't just reach for a doorknob! He even said earlier in the episode "I could get there myself, the elevator probably has braille!"

3. I sure hope they don't kill Nic - I remember reading that they said they "tried" to negotiate for guest spots, but that could be when they hadn't decided her fate. I realllly don't want Nic's friend to be a love interest - she's barely tolerable as is. She won't be tolerable with how they try to make her likable if she becomes a love interest.

Also, if I were giving a worst doctor award, Devon would get it easily for not leaving the room (or at least trying!) the second his throat started to burn from mystery gas.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, bros402 said:

1. I am guessing that since it's the janitor's closet, it's good ol' mustard gas (bleach and ammonia) - since that looked like it was burning Devon's throat.

2. Why didn't the blind guy READ THE BRAILLE ON THE SIGN BEFORE ENTERING THE JANITORS CLOSET? He wouldn't just reach for a doorknob! He even said earlier in the episode "I could get there myself, the elevator probably has braille!"

3. I sure hope they don't kill Nic - I remember reading that they said they "tried" to negotiate for guest spots, but that could be when they hadn't decided her fate. I realllly don't want Nic's friend to be a love interest - she's barely tolerable as is. She won't be tolerable with how they try to make her likable if she becomes a love interest.

Also, if I were giving a worst doctor award, Devon would get it easily for not leaving the room (or at least trying!) the second his throat started to burn from mystery gas.

2. Was he kind of panicking at that point?  They had shown a bit of a personality shift, so I think the gas was already getting to him just sitting there.  But still it seems like reading the sign before going in doors at public places would be second nature to him. 

3. Agreed.  There's a hot EMT they could hook her up with.  He's been in a few episodes and was in this one.  Did Nic's dad die last season?  I can't remember.  I kind of hope he did because I don't want his annoying ass around more to help with the baby.  Maybe Conrad's rich dad will hire a nanny.  Although that's kind of sad if the baby's whole maternal family is wiped out.  If they are doing guest spots maybe Nic can just be too incapacitated to work and always referred to as being home with occasional scenes here and there.  

Agree re: Devon not GTFO of the closet instead of just futilely yelling for help into the void.

What is going on with this show that all the female leads are ditching out?  It seems kind of sketchy that the women are all leaving. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, bros402 said:

I realllly don't want Nic's friend to be a love interest - she's barely tolerable as is. She won't be tolerable with how they try to make her likable if she becomes a love interest.

I swear, if they go there, I'm out.  (Although I thought I caught her giving a look at Raptor, so I wouldn't care as much if that's where they're headed, even though I don't like her.)  

• Love 1
11 hours ago, yourmomiseasy said:

2. Was he kind of panicking at that point?  They had shown a bit of a personality shift, so I think the gas was already getting to him just sitting there.  But still it seems like reading the sign before going in doors at public places would be second nature to him. 

3. Agreed.  There's a hot EMT they could hook her up with.  He's been in a few episodes and was in this one.  Did Nic's dad die last season?  I can't remember.  I kind of hope he did because I don't want his annoying ass around more to help with the baby.  Maybe Conrad's rich dad will hire a nanny.  Although that's kind of sad if the baby's whole maternal family is wiped out.  If they are doing guest spots maybe Nic can just be too incapacitated to work and always referred to as being home with occasional scenes here and there.  

Agree re: Devon not GTFO of the closet instead of just futilely yelling for help into the void.

What is going on with this show that all the female leads are ditching out?  It seems kind of sketchy that the women are all leaving. 

The guy wasn't panicking - he was in pain and was angry.

Nic's sister died in season 3, I believe. Her father is still alive.

If they hook up Nic's friend with anyone other than someone in the main cast that'd be fine. They should just have Nic get a job at another hospital or decide to be a stay at home mom for a few years.

With Nic's actor, it makes sense - she just had a kid and has a Marvel job now. Don't know what Mina's actor left to do, though.

8 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

I swear, if they go there, I'm out.  (Although I thought I caught her giving a look at Raptor, so I wouldn't care as much if that's where they're headed, even though I don't like her.)  

I think any pairing for Nic's friend other than her and Conrad would be good.

• Love 2
On 9/21/2021 at 6:37 PM, Crashcourse said:

Ok first of all, one of the reasons I liked this show over other hospital shows is that it didn't show PDA among staff in the hospital.  So I don't need to see Devon and whatshername pawing each other anymore.  At least she did say is was inappropriate so I hope that's the last we see of it. 

I recall a lot of scenes with Conrad and Nic making out in the hospital in earlier seasons.

On 9/22/2021 at 12:56 AM, MsTree said:

And it was a blind patient too.

On 9/23/2021 at 9:24 AM, twoods said:

Why did they have to kill off the dad? That poor girl without a father and a mom that left her. Blah.

And it looks like she will go to live with her father's brother - they better check his heart and maybe fit him with a pacemaker before he and the girl go home.  

• Love 2

I was thinking it was ammonia and bleach too as it was a janitor's closet.  I realize the blind man would be in so much pain and angry at this point, and really fearful if no one was there to answer him. There were other people in there when he was sat down and they left. I don't think I could have left and would at least keep him company.

• Love 2

Wow, so much to unpack — most of which made me face palm.

Why do I dislike Devin’s GF (can’t remember her name) so much?? She’s one of those characters that I just can’t stand to watch. She’s so mumbley and monotone and most of the time looks like a puppy dog who just got kicked. Or seems anxious, yet too chill and emotionless at the same time. She just seems so off and never conveys any real emotion. 

$5 million seems like kind of a small price for a huge hospital to pay a hacker. I get the whole not giving into terrorism thing, but it was dragged out way too long. Then Devin brings in some old friend with a laptop and a DGAF attitude who solves it for them within 30 minutes. But the FBI couldn’t even track them down? Yeah, okay.  

Devin telling his GF you helped me remember my hacker friend when he himself brought it up made no sense. I feel like the dialogue should have been reversed (she tells the uncle story, then he remembers his friend).

Devin sees blind man passed out, starts obviously inhaling the gas and doesn’t IMMEDIATELY get out of there with any strength he has left?? Yes, Devin, try to wake up the clearly passed out man again and then yell into an office that you just saw was empty. That’s the proper course of action.

I didn’t know they were writing Emily VanCamp out. :( I really enjoy her presence on the show and her and Conrad’s relationship. I’m not interested in the least in seeing her tragic end or Conrad grieve over it/trying to be a single dad.

The daycare worker sucked at her job and needs to find a new career. Why would Conrad need to help transition GG to daycare when she’s been there before? If she’s comfortable there it shouldn’t make much of a difference who’s dropping her off.

I thought I was done having kids, but that baby might have changed my mind. She was unbelievably adorable.

• Love 2