Type keyword(s) to search

Scenes From A Marriage - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Early on in the first episode, I thought Jon was going to be the bad guy in this relationship, if there was one, because of his mansplaining during the interview with the grad student.  But that pales in comparison with telling your spouse you're leaving them, and leaving the country for a few months, with one day's notice.

So far it seems like the point is that relationships need open communication. 

• Love 1

I guess I am the only one who likes the intros. I find it fascinating how they instantly slide into character. 

Has anyone watched the original? I started it but I was tired and couldn't deal with subtitles. But I will definitely watch it so I can compare 

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 9/22/2021 at 8:04 PM, ExMathMajor said:

I see HBO also has the original Bergman film

That means it's the abridged version, edited to film length. The original was also a TV miniseries. The Criterion Channel has all 5 episodes.

(I'm going to watch them afterward. If I watched them all now, between 3 and 4, I'd be in compare-and-contrast mode the whole time.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 9/27/2021 at 3:26 AM, Arcey said:

So did she know that Poli had called Jon and left that message? I'm enjoying this more than l thought l would. Maybe "appreciating" is a better word than "enjoying." I really like Isaac Oscar and that's what made me start watching. 

On 9/28/2021 at 5:59 PM, Empress1 said:

That part with Poli’s voicemail had to be humiliating for her (it must hurt to hear the man you blew up your life for basically say “nah, no thanks”) but the way she so cruelly announced that she was leaving Jon made me glad for Jon that he had something to hold over her. (I did feel bad for Laura though.) 

The hair, the outfit, the boots … that was a “show him what he’s missing” look.

I'm positive Mira didn't know about the message. Mira was way too focused on working that look to woo her ex. I do hope the show explores the past year more so it's clear why Poli felt the need to leave that kind of message for Jonathan (unless it's bc he's just as freaking messy as Mira).

Rewatching some Vanderpump Rules this week - Mira's move reeked of Kristen wearing a low-cut mini to visit Sandoval's apartment after they broke up. Because highbrow or low entertainment, transparent behavior is what it is.

On 9/29/2021 at 2:37 PM, One Imaginary Girl said:

Early on in the first episode, I thought Jon was going to be the bad guy in this relationship, if there was one, because of his mansplaining during the interview with the grad student.  But that pales in comparison with telling your spouse you're leaving them, and leaving the country for a few months, with one day's notice.

So far it seems like the point is that relationships need open communication. 

I keep waiting for a turn in the story to show Mira as...not a jerk. I do think that for two verbal adults the communication was terrible, but Jon seemed to accept his responsibility in that and is even showing concern for his daughter's detachment, whereas Mira is trying to re-craft her narrative. 

I'm ok with Mira being a limited person; most of us are when it comes to relationships. But the the abrupt and downright mean departure, trying to con her ex to coming to London, closing her eyes when Jon opens up, seeing Jon not being able to live fully in the house as an attempt to wipe traces of her - it's just too much. Isaac is doing a fantastic job showing what living in sadness is. 

Edited by chick binewski
  • Love 6
On 9/29/2021 at 4:14 PM, poeticlicensed said:

I guess I am the only one who likes the intros. I find it fascinating how they instantly slide into character. 

I like the intros too, I was surprised many don’t. It’s such a small snippet of the show but IMO is done well. 

• Love 1

Episode 4 - Well that was messy.

Jonathan had to go take a shower in the middle of the episode!

However there were messy parts throughout the episode, though the sex scene supposedly makes Mira want him back, according to Chastain.

But Mira has shown indications of wanting a do-over on the whole thing in episode 3 and now episode 4.  Months after episode 3, Mira and Poli tried to have children, after Poli left a message for Jon saying he's over it.  We're seeing "scenes" from a marriage but they're months or even over a year apart and the offscreen events we hear about don't match up with the things they say to each other onscreen.

She didn't take the London job she talked about and as a result, she's fired, while she had said she was over Poli, she tried to stay with him.  But Poli accused her of not wanting to have his baby.

Jonathan also wants to have another child, with some colleague, so he wants the divorce.  He tells Mira he no longer has feelings for her and also that he wouldn't miss having sex with her again -- that he had that realization while they were having sex.

Then they curse each other, actually fight and she signs the divorce papers while he drives away.  BTW, what kind of movers work at night, during a rain storm no less?  They were speaking Russian too.

So in the finale they're going to be together for most or all of the episode.  If Jon no longer gives a damn about her, why would he spend more time with her again?  

• Love 2

Their relationship is so complicated because each of them has very different issues. I don’t have the patience to wade through them and type them but, in simple terms, Mira is manipulative and will do whatever she can to get what she wants.  Jonathan is weaker but, through time and therapy, has learned to live with the pain of Mira ending their marriage and is now all about moving on.  He knows that another turn with Mira is not in his best interest.

More importantly, Isaac’s and Chastain’s performances are amazing.  They are Jonathan and Mira.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Dminches said:

Mira is manipulative and will do whatever she can to get what she wants.  Jonathan is weaker but, through time and therapy, has learned to live with the pain of Mira ending their marriage and is now all about moving on.  He knows that another turn with Mira is not in his best interest.

I was glad that the physical fight didn't turn into an "Oh no, I pushed a woman, I'm so sorry - I never should've done that!" situation. The coldness as he stepped past her with the signed papers and the "You should've done that a long time ago" comment was all she deserved.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, cpcathy said:

And it was ridiculous that movers would come to move you at night.

I agree, but I looked it up and there are definitely companies that do nighttime moves.

And depending on the time of year, it could be nighttime dark as early as 5PM. (I can't remember if they gave any indication of just how late it was supposed to be.)

• Love 1

All of these episodes have been difficult to watch, but what a master class in acting this show has provided. Both actors deserve an emmy. I'm wondering how they memorize all of that dialogue and are able to express such nuanced emotions. I'm so impressed.

• Love 19
5 hours ago, Kenz said:

All of these episodes have been difficult to watch, but what a master class in acting this show has provided. Both actors deserve an emmy. I'm wondering how they memorize all of that dialogue and are able to express such nuanced emotions. I'm so impressed.

So difficult, especially when you're going through something a little similar.  But wow, they're performances just blew me away.  Usually I feel like I'm watching actors, but not with this show.  I also couldn't believe they can remember their lines for that long.  Amazing!  They deserve any and all accolades headed their way!

• Love 6
On 10/4/2021 at 6:23 PM, SHD said:

I agree, but I looked it up and there are definitely companies that do nighttime moves.

And depending on the time of year, it could be nighttime dark as early as 5PM. (I can't remember if they gave any indication of just how late it was supposed to be.)

I also got the impression that it could've been 530pm ish or so.

• Love 2

Has anyone seen the original movie (or series)? Because I watched it before starting this and I feel like this is really, REALLY similar. It really is a direct remake, they're having basically the same conversations, it's just that they switched the gender of the spouse who cheats. In the old one, there really is no sympathy for the husband either, who does basically all the exact same things Mira does. I just think it comes across differently to an audience when a woman is the one behaving this way, because we're not used to seeing it. In the old one the guy is more pathetic, especially as the episodes go on and the years pass.

I think they're kind of trying to show that in this. But in the old one, the wife is treated so cruelly by the husband and at first is almost embarrassing in the way she begs him not to leave her, but then becomes much more empowered while he just gets more pathetic. I don't think they ever had Oscar Isaac's character start off from a place like that. There's also a lot more emphasis from the beginning on exactly what the problems are in the marriage that the husband was reacting to in his affair (mostly that the wife hates sex and has never enjoyed it), while this episode was the first time they even brought that up with Chastain complaining about his hangups. I think they should have probably mentioned that earlier. I get the impression they didn't want people thinking her affair was all about sex (again, whereas with men I think people are more accepting of that notion, and probably recognize that scenario more in long term husband/wife marriages), but from what we see on this it's kind of hard to figure out why she was so miserable exactly, and why she left so dramatically if she continues to insist that she's always loved him.

This may be a problem with simply switching the genders and not re-writing it more to fit what happens with these specific characters. I don't think they should have been afraid to change it a little more from the Bergman series. If you're remaking something like this especially, I think you probably should do that. But to me this series feels slavishly faithful to the Bergman one.

• Love 1

That’s Poli? Thank you HBO!
Why can’t we have Michael Aloni in every scene?
Holy Macaroni, this makes all the nastiness between Jonathon and Mira fighting and arguing fade away with the hunk from Shtisel….

Edited by humbleopinion
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4

Oscar Isaac and Jessica Chastain have amazing on-screen chemistry. I know they've been friends since they were at Julliard together 20+ years ago, and they've worked together. They're both in relationships (with other people), and I don't think there's ever been anything romantic between the two of them. 

Nevertheless, you can feel the love, the attraction and previously the anger and hurt that bind Mira and Jonathan. I wonder if they plan to continue their "affair" indefinitely. I don't think they'd ever get back together as a couple. They were so awful to one another by the time they signed their divorce papers. And Mira hurt Jonathan too badly. In fact, she broke Jonathan. He is no longer the loyal, committed, and faithful man that he was even at the end of their marriage. He doesn't care much about cheating on Jane or how that my affect her. He doesn't even think their relationship will last. I feel sorry for her and their baby Ethan. 

But back to their chemistry. I normally don't like love scenes in movies and TV--I find them gratuitous and a little cringey. But on this show? Lord, the love scenes in this episode were so intimate. It felt like art, not just sex. 

2 minutes ago, cpcathy said:

My husband immediately said he seemed like a jerk!

Actually, that's what I thought too. I didn't like Poli and wondered what Mira saw in him. Was it that Jonathan was distant, and Poli seemed so present? But see was a bit too slick for me-- he didn't seem like a kind person or an honest person. 

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, topanga said:

Nevertheless, you can feel the love, the attraction and previously the anger and hurt that bind Mira and Jonathan. I wonder if they plan to continue their "affair" indefinitely. I don't think they'd ever get back together as a couple. They were so awful to one another by the time they signed their divorce papers. And Mira hurt Jonathan too badly. In fact, she broke Jonathan. He is no longer the loyal, committed, and faithful man that he was even at the end of their marriage. He doesn't care much about cheating on Jane or how that my affect her. He doesn't even think their relationship will last. I feel sorry for her and their baby Ethan. 

That may be one of the takeaways we're suppose to get out of this.  They can't quit each other so they will always be on again, off again.

Co-parenting of Ava will mean they have reason to always be with each other.  Poli could detect she was seeing someone but he probably was disgusted at the notion that she's sleeping with Jonathan again -- it appears to be 4 years after she signed the divorce papers after blocking the front door so that he couldn't leave in Episode 4.

So let's diagram this shall we?

Episode 1 - They're apparently a "successful" married couple with a young daughter, he a professor and she a high tech executive.  But when they have to verbalize why their marriage works, they can't do it or at least to the satisfaction of the other.  She becomes pregnant but they decide to terminate the pregnancy.

Episode 2 - She tells them that she's having an affair at first, then says she plans to go away to live with her lover for a few months.

He begs her to stay, to talk about it.  She says she's been miserable, wanting to get away from him for months.  In fact she runs out early in the morning, hurriedly stuffing clothes in suitcases because she doesn't want to stay in that house any longer than she has to.

Episode 3 - About a year later, she comes to visit with him, with a new hair do.  She says she's not happy with Poli, tries to have sex with him and he rebuffs, even though he makes a show of breaking up with his gf in front of Mira.  Turns out her relationship with Poli isn't going great and Jonathan knows about it.

Episode 4 - They again come together at the house.  He presses her to sign the divorce papers while she tries to delay and says she wants her life with him back.  He tries to leave the house and they fight at the door.  Finally she signs the papers.

Episode 5 - It's about 4 years later.  They are sleeping with each other.  He's married to another woman and has a toddler son.  He books their former home  as an Airbnb -- BTW, do Airbnbs have wines, clothes of the host if they're renting it without the hosts present?  Jon says he doesn't love his new wife the way he did Mira.  Says he will never love another woman the same way.

Then he has a nightmare and says maybe he's never loved anyone or been loved.  She assures him she will always love him and he love her.

🙄

So they hold each other, both naked and the episode ends.

Then you have the fourth wall breaking again, except its at the end of the episode and this limited series rather than at the beginning.  They both put on robes and walk down the hall with their arms around each other and split to their dressing rooms.

Is it really breaking the fourth wall though?  It's kind of a performance too, they're showing their actors, not like the character they portrayed, who are kind of screwed up.  They're only pals, not lovers and they can easily shed the onscreen personas.

There are couples who divorce and keep going back to each other years after.  But not sure this particular couple is worth watching.  Great actors but the dialog is exhausting, with both characters contradicting themselves or at various times holding back what they were really feeling.  The affair they're having in episode 5 could have occurred in episode 3, they could have reunited.  Now, years later, he at least is entangled in another relationship involving a young child so the best they can say is "I will always love you" or "I will never love anyone like I loved you" while breaking up and reconciling over and over again.

• Love 2

Oh, swell, Jonathan ends up a doofus.

I know it's deep and arty and European in origin and blah blah blah, but I'm sorry, what I felt mostly was "You shmuck, you know exactly how it felt to be on the side you're putting your new wife on." And I understand that what he went through broke him and as a theatrical piece it required a character arc. But still, doofus.

Surprisingly to me, whereas I didn't like the not-in-character intros of the other episodes, I really liked the character-break at the end. Can't explain why, just did. 

I just had no patience for Jonathan despite having a lot of compassion for him in the earlier episodes. No matter how hunky Oscar Isaac is. Which is very.

Edited by JeanJean
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, topanga said:

They were so awful to one another by the time they signed their divorce papers. And Mira hurt Jonathan too badly. In fact, she broke Jonathan. He is no longer the loyal, committed, and faithful man that he was even at the end of their marriage. He doesn't care much about cheating on Jane or how that my affect her. He doesn't even think their relationship will last. I feel sorry for her and their baby Ethan. 

5 hours ago, JeanJean said:

Oh, swell, Jonathan ends up a doofus.

I know it's deep and arty and European in origin and blah blah blah, but I'm sorry, what I felt mostly was "You shmuck, you know exactly how it felt to be on the side you're putting your new wife on." And I understand that what he went through broke him and as a theatrical piece it required a character arc. But still, doofus.

Surprisingly to me, whereas I didn't like the not-in-character intros of the other episodes, I really liked the character-break at the end. Can't explain why, just did. 

I just had no patience for Jonathan despite having a lot of compassion for him in the earlier episodes. No matter how hunky Oscar Isaac is. Which is very.

I went back and forth watching the finale on whether Mira damaged Jonathan irreparably - I remember during the first episode Jonathan addressed marriage almost as a rote duty in order to build a family. A few years later he admonishes his mom after burying her husband for basically holding those same beliefs? Then he wants another family so badly he's fine with stepping out on a new mother? 

I have firmly been on Jonathan's side for most of this series but my conclusion is that even if he didnt start off that way he is now most certainly a doofus. 

Divorce seems to suit Mira well. Bright colors, fancy car, new career, smiling all the time whether confronted by an ex-lover or comforting an ex-husband.

I wanted to take away something about grown-up love and real heartbreak, but the finale felt so flat to me (for me, the breaking of the fourth wall at the end didn't help). Jonathan and Mira just ended up seeming like two people who are not happy unless they're being completely selfish.  

4 hours ago, SHD said:

They are terrible Airbnb guests. 

Seriously. I didn't see a reason for Mira to put on the homeowner's coat unless she felt an uncontrollable desire to return to muted colors.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, chick binewski said:

I wanted to take away something about grown-up love and real heartbreak, but the finale felt so flat to me (for me, the breaking of the fourth wall at the end didn't help). Jonathan and Mira just ended up seeming like two people who are not happy unless they're being completely selfish.  

I think the reason why, whereas I never liked the out-of-character intros, I did like the 4th-wall break at the end, was that at the end I was relieved to see them go. Especially Jonathan, who turned into a dick. The acting throughout was excellent but by the end I didn't like them very much as people. At the end, I actually liked her more than him, which was a complete 180 from how I felt in all the earlier episodes. 

15 hours ago, SHD said:

They may be worse than Goldilocks!

Edited by JeanJean
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, chick binewski said:

Divorce seems to suit Mira well. Bright colors, fancy car, new career, smiling all the time whether confronted by an ex-lover or comforting an ex-husband.

I agree, and her outward appearance  also shows that she’s more comfortable in her skin. She has shed the siren-y hair for natural color with a basic ponytail, and pants instead of the skirts and stilettos. She is glowing. 

And Jonathan is now a dick. 

Edited by cloeymoon
grammar
  • Love 7

The series ended up with me disliking both of them. They lied to each other, they lied to other people, they lie to themselves. There is nothing I like about them. Mira for proclaiming she doesn't want a relationship while apparently having one, Jonathan for now being the cheater. It pissed me off that he chose the day of the ceremony to basically tell his mom that her marriage sucked. How nice of him! And like a cherry on the proverbial sundae, they defile the Airbnb they are staying in by drinking the hosts liquor, eating their food and break into what is obviously a teenagers bedroom and do the nasty in her bed. Gross. I hate both of them (the characters not the actors) and I'm glad the series is over

Edited by poeticlicensed
  • Love 15

The “divorced spouses have an affair in their former home turned AirBnB” was done in the most recent season of Master of None. Those spouses didn’t divorce because of infidelity (one wanted a kid & the other didn’t, although the one who didn’t ended up with one with her new wife) but they started having an affair with each other a few years after they split, when both were remarried, and one of them booked their old house for one of their trysts.

The older I get, the more I realize that life and relationships are complicated, and I think that’s the main message of this show. I can think of couples I know, especially couples with kids, who would answer “don’t you love [your spouse]?” with the same “yeah, I guess, in a certain way” that Jonathan did, and I think he’s right that there are different kinds of love. I don’t think that justifies sleeping with Mira, but I can see how he got from “Jane got pregnant and I didn’t want to marry her, but I wanted the kid” to affairs, especially with Mira.

18 hours ago, JeanJean said:

No matter how hunky Oscar Isaac is. Which is very.

I wanted to ruffle his hair so badly. He has a gorgeous head of hair. I think he’s really handsome.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
On 9/21/2021 at 11:25 AM, aghst said:

This writer believes the way the series breaks the fourth wall at the start of each episode (at least the first two), kind of robs it of the dramatic power it might have had.

I agree! I signed on just to post about this. Why are they doing it? It takes me out of the show. 

This level of selfishness is horrifying in this series and the way cheating is discussed so nonchalantly is unsettling to me but there is no denying the talent  here.  
Michael Aloni is so handsome.  I first saw him on the Hebrew series “Schtisel” and low key fell in love with him. 
I kinda want bangs now!

• Love 3
On 9/30/2021 at 4:10 PM, chick binewski said:

I'm ok with Mira being a limited person; most of us are when it comes to relationships. But the the abrupt and downright mean departure, trying to con her ex to coming to London, closing her eyes when Jon opens up, seeing Jon not being able to live fully in the house as an attempt to wipe traces of her - it's just too much. Isaac is doing a fantastic job showing what living in sadness is. 

I didn’t like her at all. I watched all four episodes. Mira remained self-absorbed and insensitive. 

Gosh, that sex scene in episode four made me blush! Yikes. 

This was interesting an interesting series. I want to look up the original. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 1

I just finished the 5 episodes last night, I saved them to watch over a couple of days. I am ok with it being done. The series was compelling and riveting, the acting top-notch. 

I find I prefer a plot, like Mare of Easttown, or even The Undoing. SFAM is good as an appetizer but I need more plot for an entree. 

Nonetheless, ep 5 was heart-wrenching, when they were in their old house. Just unbearably sad; I can summon a tear just thinking of them in the car outside the house, about to go in. Jonathan & Mira were relationship-impaired for some reason, or just Kryptonite to each other. 

• Love 3
On 10/18/2021 at 6:06 PM, aghst said:

There were 5 episodes.

Yes, I figured it out from reading this board. Thanks though. I kind of wish they had ended with the fourth episode. I could not warm to Mira and wanted him free of her. I also thought the fifth episode dragged. 

I think breaking the fourth wall at the beginning screwed this up for me, because during the last scene I kept thinking, “Gosh, it looks like they are really naked and the scenes are so intimate and realistic. This just be difficult for the actors…. and I wonder what their spouses think.”

Jonathan ended up being a jerk too. 

And then they did it at the end too. On one hand it was interesting to see that behind the scenes perspective, but on the other it (again) took me out of the storyline. Just my opinion. I know some liked it. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Love 2
On 10/11/2021 at 12:58 AM, aghst said:

So they hold each other, both naked and the episode ends.

Then you have the fourth wall breaking again, except its at the end of the episode and this limited series rather than at the beginning.  They both put on robes and walk down the hall with their arms around each other and split to their dressing rooms.

Is it really breaking the fourth wall though?  It's kind of a performance too, they're showing their actors, not like the character they portrayed, who are kind of screwed up.  They're only pals, not lovers and they can easily shed the onscreen personas.

There are couples who divorce and keep going back to each other years after.  But not sure this particular couple is worth watching.  Great actors but the dialog is exhausting, with both characters contradicting themselves or at various times holding back what they were really feeling.  The affair they're having in episode 5 could have occurred in episode 3, they could have reunited.  Now, years later, he at least is entangled in another relationship involving a young child so the best they can say is "I will always love you" or "I will never love anyone like I loved you" while breaking up and reconciling over and over again.

Your entire analysis was excellent. This was a series that I enjoyed watching because of the strength of the acting. But it’s not something I’d ever voluntarily watch again. Too painful — and realistic, sadly. People are messy and contradict themselves and down understand why they feel a certain way or can’t clearly explain how they feel. But I agree that watching characters like that can be frustrating and exhausting. Which is why people frustrate and exhaust each other IRL. LOL.

I know a lot of people didn’t like the breaking of the 4th wall at the beginning of the episodes (or at the end of Ep 5). I didn’t mind it at all. It made the show feel like theater. The script and small cast also made me feel like I was watching a play. Which I didn’t mind. I love plot-driven shows as well, but the occasional dive into a character study is okay.

In fact, at the end of ep. 5, I loved watching these actors break from a (literally) naked and vulnerable scene to quietly putting on their robes and walking off set. It took away some of the sadness and heaviness that I felt at the end of the scene. It’s like the Jessica and Isaac were telling me, “Don’t worry. We were just pretending.” Which I already knew, of course. But it was still an emotional relief. 

On 10/11/2021 at 12:42 PM, JeanJean said:

I think the reason why, whereas I never liked the out-of-character intros, I did like the 4th-wall break at the end, was that at the end I was relieved to see them go. Especially Jonathan, who turned into a dick. The acting throughout was excellent but by the end I didn't like them very much as people. At the end, I actually liked her more than him, which was a complete 180 from how I felt in all the earlier episodes

Agreed. I understand why Jonathan turned into a dick, but that didn’t make it okay. I was on his side the first four episodes. Yes, he had flaws (emotionally distant at times, sexually repressed maybe), but he was a good guy— honest, loyal, considerate, and always trying to be a better husband and father. But after the divorce, it seemed like he didn’t care about other people’s feelings anymore. 

And Mira spent 4 episodes not understanding herself or feeling conflicted or denying how she felt, even to herself. But by episode 5, she seemed more self-satisfied. 

They were both sad in episode 5, which is probably why they were still drawn to one another. They accepted that they weren’t good as a couple, but they still found some comfort and sexual satisfaction in one another. Which would be okay if Jonathan weren’t married (or in a long-term relationship). 

Did anyone see the recent SNL parody about this show and other Divorce-Porn movies? I think it was cut for time. Pretty hilarious. 

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, topanga said:

Did anyone see the recent SNL parody about this show and other Divorce-Porn movies? I think it was cut for time. Pretty hilarious. 

That parody was on the-the-nose hilariously perfect! I especially loved when she was mad he didn't show up for their kid's (soccer, I think) game and he said, " I was having a heart attack!" And then she flounced out, even madder. 

• LOL 2
14 hours ago, Sweet-tea said:

Can anyone comment on how this series compares to the original? Is it worth watching the original? 

I haven’t watched it, but the gender roles were more traditional: the husband breadwinner, and he’s the one who cheated. Personally, I have no interest in seeing it. I wouldn’t have finished the modern one if it hadn’t featured two actors that I love. 

• Love 2
On 10/4/2021 at 5:10 PM, cpcathy said:

And it was ridiculous that movers would come to move you at night.

I don't know what the original problem was but he was on the phone with them and trying to get them to still come that day and I think that he finally agreed to pay more or something and they promised to be there at 6 pm.

On 10/11/2021 at 3:13 AM, SHD said:

Indeed.  First of all I can't imagine renting out my house when I'm not there - because who knows what on earth people might do with or on your things?

Just no - a THOUSAND NOs.

Because as we saw - they might do the nasty in a bed behind a locked door intended to keep them out.  Are they going to pretend now that they were never up there and leave things like that?

The acting was excellent and I am sure they will be nominated for all kinds of awards, but the timelines were so confusing.  You would be far into an episode before you found out how much time had passed since the last.  In some cases it was days and in others - years.  It would have been very helpful to have posted "2 years later" at the beginning of the episode or something.

It's true - by the end they were both horrible people who had no qualms about hurting others for their own self-serving interests.

• Love 2

My favorite series of all times is by far In Treatment. I was totally in love with Gabriel even though he is my father's age. I always wish I could forget this series so I can watch it again all new. I also loved Six Feet Under. After many many years of series watching I was desperate to find something that would even come close to In Treatment and I finally did. Scenes from a Marriage was everything I am looking for in a series. A story that can actually happen in real life. No sci fi, no monsters, no crimes, only pure emotions and feelings. Human psychology at its best. I want to hug the creator and beg him to make more series like this.

I hated Mira and everything she did to her kid and Jonathan. But I mostly hate her for making Jonathan a bad egotistical person in the end.

I don't like Isaac.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, himela said:

How do we know that?

At some point in each episode, they make a reference which indicates to you how much time has passed.

As I alluded to earlier, it made watching the series a bit confusing for me at times because I was trying to figure out how much time had passed since the last episode.  In some cases it was months and in others, years.

4 minutes ago, aemom said:

At some point in each episode, they make a reference which indicates to you how much time has passed.

As I alluded to earlier, it made watching the series a bit confusing for me at times because I was trying to figure out how much time had passed since the last episode.  In some cases it was months and in others, years.

Right. But how do we know that episode 4 and episode 5 were 4 years apart? I heard them say they are together 17 years, so it must have been only 5 years since episode 1 when they said they were together for 12 years.

3 minutes ago, himela said:

Right. But how do we know that episode 4 and episode 5 were 4 years apart? I heard them say they are together 17 years, so it must have been only 5 years since episode 1 when they said they were together for 12 years.

I don't think that those two episodes were four years apart.

I think when the poster said "4 years later" they meant from the beginning of the series.  My understanding was that the last episode was about 4 or 5 years from the timeframe of Episode 1.