Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
DanaK

The Way Down

https://www.primetimer.com/item/HBO-Max-alters-docuseries-The-Way-Downs-plans-after-its-weight-loss-guru-subject-Gwen-Shamblin-Lara-died-in-a-plane-crash-0GSEjQ

"The Way Down" is a 5-part HBO Max documentary series that investigates the Remnant Fellowship Church and its religious-based weight loss program by founder Gwen Lara that many people were likening to a cult. Due to the May 29 deaths of Mrs. Lara and her husband Joe (who starred in years past as Tarzan) in a plane crash, plans have been altered for the series. The first 3 episodes will drop on September 30 2021 and the final two episodes will be shown in early 2022

Edited by DanaK
  • Like 1

Watched the first three episodes today, and am pleased to know there’s more coming.

Holy smokes, these people! Who even, in this day and age, falls for cult leaders’ bullshit anymore? And yet, here we are. Dieting for God.

Still giggling over the former member’s assessment of Gwen’s appearance morphing from Christian housewife into strung-out hooker.

• Like 8
  • Laugh 1

Watched the three episodes back to back. It's a pretty compelling story - especially given the fact this has all occurred rather recently. 

• Like 2

It is a compelling story. I've finished the 3 episodes and am looking forward to the next 2 in 2022. I am appalled by this cult. I hope it dies out, as I doubt that Gwen's poor daughter and son can attract people in the way Gwen somehow did. It's clearly a church designed for the leaders to make money and to have power over their followers. I don't understand people who do awful things like beating their children or allowing others to beat their children into submission, against their better judgement. Gwen's chilling lesson to children about how if they don't instantly obey their parents, they will have a short life and a horrific afterlife is just plain evil! It was almost laughable to see how no one dared tell Gwen how god-awful her hair and style of dress was. She looked ridiculous. Lastly, the intro....I laughed every time Gwen's handler swooped in and picked her up, rather than allow her to answer a difficult question. It was cartoonish. In fact, she was cartoonish. RIP Gwen, you've done enough damage here on earth!

• Like 4

6 hours ago, BetyBee said:

It was almost laughable to see how no one dared tell Gwen how god-awful her hair and style of dress was.

I just binged the first two episodes, and I’m wondering where she found so many dresses with exactly the same shape. I don’t think that style has been around since probably the 1950s. And can we talk about that hair? How did she have hair that added six inches to her height? She was trying her best, but even the hair and the platform shoes didn’t get her closer to god.

• Like 3

The rise and fall of "Weigh Down Workshop," Gwen Shamblin Lara's religious weight-loss regimen.

Anyone watching this docuseries on HBO Max?  There are three episodes available but from what I read there will be two more episodes released at a future date (not sure when).

In the late 90s, a coworker recommended the Weigh Down diet book. I bought it used and I was able to loose 10 pounds. I glossed over the religious teachings but her principles and lessons of portion control and only eating when hungry have stuck with me all these years later and have helped me maintain. I was horrified to see that from writing that helpful book she went on to start a cult! I'm so glad I didn't go down that rabbit hole. In all advice, take what you need and leave the rest.

• Like 1

Watched this and couldn't get over any of it. I knew nothing of this woman or the religion before the documentary came out so when I saw Gwen's face on the thumbnail for it, I thought it was a cartoon. Nope! she looked like that.

My most horrifying observances:

-Her incredible shrinking daughter. The death of her child obviously affected her but she looks like a ghost. So pale and so damn thin. She doesn't look healthy.

-The son's musical talent. Lord when everyone was like "He's so musical! He's so gifted" and then they showed clips of him singing I was giving my TV the side-eye. Nope. Sorry. That's not a musical savant. That's a rich boy with access to a recording studio. Yikes. My ears hurt.

-Her second husband was so slimy and gross. Everything about him was gross. And I loved how no one believed for a minute that he loved Gwen. Just loved power and money.

• Like 7

This was so incredibly horrifying. I'm not a fan of organized religion in general but I'm REALLY not a fan of these crackpot denominations that somehow justify beating your children or telling wives to submit to their husbands for sex even if they really don't want to. 

I hope they're all burning in hell. 

• Like 4

On 10/21/2021 at 3:40 PM, lu1535 said:

In the late 90s, a coworker recommended the Weigh Down diet book. I bought it used and I was able to loose 10 pounds. I glossed over the religious teachings but her principles and lessons of portion control and only eating when hungry have stuck with me all these years later and have helped me maintain. I was horrified to see that from writing that helpful book she went on to start a cult! I'm so glad I didn't go down that rabbit hole. In all advice, take what you need and leave the rest.

Intuitive eating has been around for a while.  I do think it is a sound way to lose weight.  So she took a generally accepted concept and threw God into it and poof - cult. Completely insane.  

• Like 4