Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E24: Andrew Sullivan; Jackie Calmes: Max Rose

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

As always, watch, then post.  do not discuss what you wish they had covered. No personal politics. 

• Start Topic

What the hell did Bill mean he would not get a third booster shot and say the other younger generation not vaccinated are healthy? Take one for the team....that is some misinformation BS! The younger kids are on ventilators, Bill!

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, letter8358 said:

What the hell did Bill mean he would not get a third booster shot and say the other younger generation not vaccinated are healthy? Take one for the team....that is some misinformation BS! The younger kids are on ventilators, Bill!

Didn’t watch and glad I stopped watching two years ago. How would he know anything about kids or anyone under the age of 35? Bill should talk to the pediatricians who are working around the clock in overcrowded hospitals with no ICU beds for kids who are in respiratory failure. Seriously…I think Bill has totally lost his fucking mind. I have a four year old grandson who has an auto immune disease. He was seriously ill a year ago. If he should get COVID now I can’t bear to think of the kind of hell he and his parents would be going through. And Bill, being the putz that he is, makes statements like this that sound like they come straight from the mouths of Fox News or OAN personalities. Don’t get the third shot Bill…it would be better if it was given to someone who has a family they love and care about rather than a sour, heartless, soulless, selfish asshole like you.

1 hour ago, tessaray said:

Bill doesn't appear to understand that simply being a senior citizen puts him at risk, no matter how thin he is and how clean he eats. 

Also, I want to meet that Millennial friend he has.

His millennial “friend” is probably his Uber Eats delivery guy.

• Love 13
4 hours ago, tessaray said:

Sigh. Bill needs some serious deprogramming. 

eta: wth was that phone rant? Smartphones have changed the world and I would never want to go back. 

yeah he mixed up complaints about social media and general online behavior and put it on the phone.  Yes a lot of people do social media mostly on the phone but nobody is getting rid of phones or computers or the Internet.  So old man telling kids to get off his lawn stuff.

3 hours ago, letter8358 said:

Whatever, don’t get it then.  The vaccines were designed for the virus train that infected China in late 2019, early 2020.  Current dominat strain is different, much more infectious, probably more virulent.

Those navy sailors, only one died?  That was last year.  More would have died and more would have Long Covid.  But the key is, more would be spreading it to others, including more vulnerable people.

He talks about people being selfish like Breyer or Feinstein not retiring or people with phones, but his attitude is, I’m slim and I did you a favor getting vaccinated.  

he probably has good antibody levels since he got infected after vaccination.  So maybe he’d be okay without booster for longer.  But it’s the attitude.

in the monologue he complained that the studio audience had to be masked.  Then said there was competition between people who clapped at his jokes and those who groaned at them.  Wants the clappers to shut down the groaners or something like that.  Now who’s the biatch who wants likes?

• Love 5

I wouldn't know for sure, but "take one for the team" sounds as if Bill caved to pressure from HBO or some other authority. 

Once again, Bill is confusing millennials with Gen-Z. I'm around Bill's age myself, and even I know the difference -- Pete Buttigieg is a millennial, and he's our Transportation Secretary, FFS! (And now a family man as well.) 

That final New Rule about smartphones sounded all too familiar to me, like warmed-up leftovers from a previous season.

Now I have to confess: It wouldn't put my nose out of joint if TPTB at HBO started wondering, hmm, twenty years is a good run for this show, y'think?  

• Love 3

Yikes, Bill was in rare form, checking off all the usual boxes.

Apparently Andrew Sullivan was "fired" from New York magazine (although all the sources I find say he resigned) for defending The Bell Curve. So Bill has him on so they can commiserate about cancel culture and wokeness, of course. Note the reference to "elite universities." Another jab at Berkeley, no doubt, which started this whole ball rolling in Bill's mind.

And, oh God, bringing up obesity again like he's going to solve anything. But wait - first he said 40% of the Covid deaths were among patients with diabetes. If true that's a fair point to make. But a minute later he said "four out of five." Uh, what? 40% is not four out of five, it's four out of ten. Now I think Bill's just pulling these figures out of his ass.

And what does he mean he didn't want the vaccine?? Good grief what is wrong with this guy? I'm so glad that Max guy called him on it. 

I also like that Max (can't remember his last name) pointed out the very politicians in this country who are pro-war and pro-nation building don't want to spend a dime on people right here in the US.

Bill's not wrong about smart phones turning people into assholes though.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Note the reference to "elite universities." 

I got up late today. You beat me to it. Look, I'm mostly, like 90% at least, with Bill about cancel culture, but I don't think it's nearly as much of a problem as he thinks because you can tell people to stfu. It works. 

Throwing in the Universities though, no. Have an actual professor on. There's so much garbage to get out of the way week to week that when you finally get a chance to do actual work, wokeness and whatever is the last thing on your mind. And I'm going to tell you, class is the last priority for most. That's about 1 percent why your hired. 

32 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Berkley

Berkeley, fyi. Not to be that guy. Sorry. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
6 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I really liked Bill ranting on the CA recall. The next governor could appoint a senator, possibly tipping the senate and giving scotus a super majority for possibly two generations at least one, for sure. 

Because of the selfishness of Breyer and Feinstein.

They should be pressured to retire, loudly and publicly, shamed for being selfish and stupid.

Bill was right about that and the one guest said people were livid behind the scenes.  Why just be livid behind the scenes?  They should be very open and public about Breyer being selfish.

Edited by aghst
  • Love 1

That's entirely a valid point too. I think what Bill was getting at was everyone is talking about how the recall is ridiculous and there's all these whackadoos running, but if Newsom does get recalled, Elder could be governor with about 20% of the vote. You don't have to win a majority. That's only 8 million people. 

So, yes, it's ridiculous, but CA citizens need to get out and vote against this recall. 

Sure, after that, point out very loudly how close everything got to going sideways, and say, listen we can't be walking this tightrope. Let's look at the bigger picture here. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

And, oh God, bringing up obesity again like he's going to solve anything. But wait - first he said 40% of the Covid deaths were among patients with diabetes. If true that's a fair point to make. But a minute later he said "four out of five." Uh, what? 40% is not four out of five, it's four out of ten. Now I think Bill's just pulling these figures out of his ass.

I am thoroughly convinced a "Fat Kid" bullied Bill during this childhood years. Not much else makes since.  I'm a Yankees fan and nearly half the team (including coaches) have been on the Covid-19 Restricted List at some point this season. The majority of the players are vaccinated (J&J) and most are in peak physical condition. Follow the news and I'm sure you'll find plenty of Covid-19 deaths among those who were physically fit. Bill just needs excuses to bash overweight people IMO.

Edited by Winston Wolfe
  • Love 3

So, yes, it's ridiculous, but CA citizens need to get out and vote against this recall. 

It's even easier than that. From what I understand California is actually mailing the ballots to voters. 

Because of the selfishness of Breyer and Feinstein.

They should be pressured to retire, loudly and publicly, shamed for being selfish and stupid.

Bill was right about that and the one guest said people were livid behind the scenes.  Why just be livid behind the scenes?  They should be very open and public about Breyer being selfish.

Breyer has been interviewed about this many times. He has this delusion that the Supreme Court is apolitical. 

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yikes, Bill was in rare form, checking off all the usual boxes.

Apparently Andrew Sullivan was "fired" from New York magazine (although all the sources I find say he resigned) for defending The Bell Curve. So Bill has him on so they can commiserate about cancel culture and wokeness, of course. Note the reference to "elite universities." Another jab at Berkeley, no doubt, which started this whole ball rolling in Bill's mind.

And what does he mean he didn't want the vaccine?? Good grief what is wrong with this guy? I'm so glad that Max guy called him on it. 

I also like that Max (can't remember his last name) pointed out the very politicians in this country who are pro-war and pro-nation building don't want to spend a dime on people right here in the US.

Bill's not wrong about smart phones turning people into assholes though.

I think was referring to the obesity rate there. Regardless, I'm with you all. Bill's stats may not all have been entirely wrong at some point, but young, fit people are taking Delta much harder. I used to be pretty confident I'd be fine if I got covid without a vaccine, now not so much. I got vaccinated awhile ago just because I thought it was the right thing to do, but now I am really grateful for my own sake. 

Larry Elder is simply no a very nice man. He once said it would be nice to have a George Zimmerman in your neighborhood. He also seems to detest immigrants. 

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-08-18/larry-elder-racism-immigration-recall-republican

Bill infuriates me with his Covid stuff too.  He is mildly inconvenienced getting a booster or wearing a mask when asked.  There have been several fit people I have known who got really sick and they were not regular pot smokers (which yes, can harm you its smoking bad for your lungs.).  He is not in this all clear group.  I was just annoyed at that segment, otherwise I enjoyed the panel and new rules.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

It's even easier than that. From what I understand California is actually mailing the ballots to voters. 

Breyer has been interviewed about this many times. He has this delusion that the Supreme Court is apolitical. 

I love in California and, yes, all registered voters will get a mail ballot, but there is an option to vote in person. Which may or may not satisfy the people who love to scream VOTER FRAUD with no evidence whatsoever. For the record, there are 45 candidates on the ballot running against Newsom.

26 minutes ago, RealHousewife said:

Larry Elder is simply no a very nice man. He once said it would be nice to have a George Zimmerman in your neighborhood. He also seems to detest immigrants. 

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-08-18/larry-elder-racism-immigration-recall-republican

Larry Elder is a freaking nightmare and (sadly not surprisingly) the front runner against Newsom. He has a long history of making horrifically disparaging remarks about women, thinks there should be a minimum wage of zero, and wants to abolish any mask or vaccine mandates, in addition to those pesky anti-immigration and other completely racist remarks he has made.

To circle back to the show, I am once again more than happy I made the decision to not watch BM anymore. Not familiar with the other 2 guests, but with BM & Andrew Sullivan whining about "cancel culture" (poor dead horsie, can we stop beating it?) and Bill's needle being stuck on fat people, "millennials" and anti-pandemic control measures...and now cellphones??....I can only shake my head at the resentful, embittered, sour old man he's become. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, arachne said:

I wouldn't know for sure, but "take one for the team" sounds as if Bill caved to pressure from HBO or some other authority. 

Once again, Bill is confusing millennials with Gen-Z. I'm around Bill's age myself, and even I know the difference -- Pete Buttigieg is a millennial, and he's our Transportation Secretary, FFS! (And now a family man as well.) 

That final New Rule about smartphones sounded all too familiar to me, like warmed-up leftovers from a previous season.

Now I have to confess: It wouldn't put my nose out of joint if TPTB at HBO started wondering, hmm, twenty years is a good run for this show, y'think?  

Bill doesn't even know what Gen Z is. He probably thinks Millenial's are the only named generation after the Boomers. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, littlepaw said:

I love in California and, yes, all registered voters will get a mail ballot, but there is an option to vote in person. Which may or may not satisfy the people who love to scream VOTER FRAUD with no evidence whatsoever. For the record, there are 45 candidates on the ballot running against Newsom.

Larry Elder is a freaking nightmare and (sadly not surprisingly) the front runner against Newsom. He has a long history of making horrifically disparaging remarks about women, thinks there should be a minimum wage of zero, and wants to abolish any mask or vaccine mandates, in addition to those pesky anti-immigration and other completely racist remarks he has made.

To circle back to the show, I am once again more than happy I made the decision to not watch BM anymore. Not familiar with the other 2 guests, but with BM & Andrew Sullivan whining about "cancel culture" (poor dead horsie, can we stop beating it?) and Bill's needle being stuck on fat people, "millennials" and anti-pandemic control measures...and now cellphones??....I can only shake my head at the resentful, embittered, sour old man he's become. 

Ugh...Andrew Sullivan. Another blowhard. Yeah, not surprised he got canceled...surprised it didn't happen sooner. Funny how Bill became "a whiny little bitch" himself after calling Trump that for years.

• Love 4

I have to say Max Rose is one of the best guests Bill has had in a while. He made a lot of very good points and held his own against Bill. He did hold back when Bill said something like "I'm not in a group that is vulnerable to Covid" or something like that. Rose had a grin on his face and was about to say something but held back. I'm sure he was thinking about Bill's age. For Bill to say he didn't want to get a vaccine but "took one for the team" is ridiculous. He's officially a senior citizen at 65, and is at risk no matter how "healthy" he thinks he is.

While Bill's rants about obesity can indeed be tiring, he does have a point bringing it up due to the fact that health authorities rarely do. Especially since they don't even seem to bring it up with a positive framing such as the importance of "eating healthy and staying fit" in the fight against Covid. I could be wrong but I don't remember hearing any health officials mentioning it. I understand that this might not make a huge difference in terms of outcomes but I agree with Bill that it's important for health officials to be as open and proactive with the public as possible.

And ugh, Larry Elder is indeed an awful person. Would be a disaster for California if he got elected. This guy is from Bill Cosby's "black kids should pull up their pants and stop being so lazy" school of black Republicans. The prospect that he could become governor with only 20% of the vote is definitely insane. 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ApocalypseThen said:

I have to say Max Rose is one of the best guests Bill has had in a while. He made a lot of very good points and held his own against Bill.

This was also one of the first shows in a long time where the guests and Bill were not constantly interrupting each other, so Max had time to complete his thoughts/points.  

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, ApocalypseThen said:

I have to say Max Rose is one of the best guests Bill has had in a while. He made a lot of very good points and held his own against Bill.

Max did push back when Bill was saying he didn't want a booster. Max basically just shut it all down and said we need to get vaccinated and that's it. Right at the end before New Rules. He was really good though. I'm hoping they get more people like this on the show in terms of civil servants who actually work the government. Some of the congresspeople have been good, but they're more hit and miss. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, revbfc said:

Bill doesn’t think he’s elderly?  

I'm 68, a few years old than Bill, and I don't think of myself as "elderly" (that's more the 80-and-up age range in my mind, but we'll see what happens when I get there). But I definitely think I'm in a more vulnerable age group and I'm realistic about it.  I try to keep a healthy diet and I go to the gym 3x a week, and of course I got vaccinated and will be at the head of the line for a booster shot.  I ran across a term recently that I think describes Bill: "orthorexia nervosa", an obsession (to the point of an eating disorder) with healthy eating. I believe he has stated in interviews that he mostly eats berries and protein shakes, but treats himself to a piece of fish once a week. I can only speculate that being skinny is, to him, the ultimate secret of eternal youth. That and, of course, he's extraordinarily special and quite above the hoi-polloi *eyeroll*. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, littlepaw said:

I'm 68, a few years old than Bill, and I don't think of myself as "elderly" (that's more the 80-and-up age range in my mind, but we'll see what happens when I get there). But I definitely think I'm in a more vulnerable age group and I'm realistic about it.  I try to keep a healthy diet and I go to the gym 3x a week, and of course I got vaccinated and will be at the head of the line for a booster shot.  I ran across a term recently that I think describes Bill: "orthorexia nervosa", an obsession (to the point of an eating disorder) with healthy eating. I believe he has stated in interviews that he mostly eats berries and protein shakes, but treats himself to a piece of fish once a week. I can only speculate that being skinny is, to him, the ultimate secret of eternal youth. That and, of course, he's extraordinarily special and quite above the hoi-polloi *eyeroll*. 

I think that's totally reasonable. I have a lot of 60-something people in my life, and I don't see elderly when I look at them. Bill just seems to forget being a little older affects how the body responds to covid. I'm really curious if he's heard all the stories about fit people suffering though. They're really not hard to find. 

Against my better judgment, I watched Bill's cell phone rant.  And it seems to me that 90 % of what he was complaining about was the internet, not cell phones.  Sure, it's way more convenient to access the internet with a device that we can carry around in our pocket, but if cell phones ceased to exist today, we would still be able to bully each other, access porn, cancel each other, and plan insurrections via our tablet, lap top, or desk top computer.   Again, slightly less convenient without the phone, but the only ill that Bill railed about that would go away without cell phones is his date staring at the phone during dinner.  And the solution to that isn't to eliminate (dare I say, cancel?) cell phones, it's to associate with better mannered people and maybe make an effort to be more interesting than a game of solitaire.

• Love 5

Bill,it’s not just the glasses that make you seem old!  You are every curmudgeon that yells “ get off of my lawn” and worse.  Chronologically and health wise you may not be “ elderly” but you think like an old man. And every week you seem to grow older.

Edited by Caseysgirl
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, littlepaw said:

Bill starts his day with a green drink and a paste made up nuts, seeds and some kind of cherry jam like substance...no sugar of course. His next meal is the same or just a green drink. And it's the same thing everyday except for Fridays. On Fridays he lets his hair down and treats himself to a broiled piece of fish and a baked potato but rarely eats the entire potato. I've heard of supermodels that eat more food than this...besides being boring it seems like a starvation kind of diet especially for a guy who is 65 and needs to have more nutrient rich food with more calcium and Vitamin D in it for strong bones...and more protein...a lot more protein. He seems obsessive about his weight to the point of having a neurosis about it. He did admit to having some junk food in the house for when he has the "munchies" after smoking a lot of pot...all in all it sounds like a teenage girl model who is bordering on anoerxia.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, BrownBear2012 said:

Bill starts his day with a green drink and a paste made up nuts, seeds and some kind of cherry jam like substance...no sugar of course. His next meal is the same or just a green drink. And it's the same thing everyday except for Fridays. On Fridays he lets his hair down and treats himself to a broiled piece of fish and a baked potato but rarely eats the entire potato. I've heard of supermodels that eat more food than this...besides being boring it seems like a starvation kind of diet especially for a guy who is 65 and needs to have more nutrient rich food with more calcium and Vitamin D in it for strong bones...and more protein...a lot more protein. He seems obsessive about his weight to the point of having a neurosis about it. He did admit to having some junk food in the house for when he has the "munchies" after smoking a lot of pot...all in all it sounds like a teenage girl model who is bordering on anoerxia.

It does. If he really eats like that, I definitely wouldn't call his lifestyle healthy. You're better off eating a little extra and having some extra fat but getting good nutrition to your body. It's great if he avoids fast food, fried stuff and soda, it's not great if he avoids almost everything. 

1 hour ago, tessaray said:

Sheesh. No wonder he's always cranky.

lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Hanahope said:

Max Rose did a nice job pushing back on Bill’s misconceptions about Covid.

What I can't wrap my head around is that Bill got Covid after getting the vaccination and he's still poo-pooing the idea of getting a booster shot??? I can only speculate that he thinks he would have still gotten a mild case even if he didn't "take one for the team", whatever the bleep that means. He is really delusional. And @BrownBear2012, I do remember previously reading that information about his eating regimen now. "Teenage girl bordering on anorexia" describes it well. He's gone off the deep end in so many ways. 

• Love 6
On 8/22/2021 at 3:12 PM, Hooper said:

And it seems to me that 90 % of what he was complaining about was the internet, not cell phones.

That's correct. There is a case that getting on the internet is easier with a cell phone, as you point out, and there are a lot of people around the world who only access the internet with a cell phone. I think it may be a larger context than Bill intended. However, I think his point is salient - Can you imagine going to dinner with a friend and they read a magazine? That's a fair criticism. 

With a lot of what he said, that ship sailed a while ago. 

5 hours ago, littlepaw said:

What I can't wrap my head around is that Bill got Covid after getting the vaccination and he's still poo-pooing the idea of getting a booster shot??? I can only speculate that he thinks he would have still gotten a mild case even if he didn't "take one for the team", whatever the bleep that means. He is really delusional. And @BrownBear2012, I do remember previously reading that information about his eating regimen now. "Teenage girl bordering on anorexia" describes it well. He's gone off the deep end in so many ways. 

Bill's lucky he "took one for the time" and got Covid prior to the Delta variant. I don't know how well a thin person with poor nutrition would fare either. I know a woman who's on the heavy side, but she takes care of her body as far as eating healthy and taking supplements. Her covid case awhile back was very mild. I know many young people who look healthy on the outside but had horrible cases. They did make it, but my guess they're not as healthy as they look. You can be skinny and not eat enough or fill your body with a bunch of supposedly healthy food, like overdoing it on protein. 

Bill's not wrong though as far as some people pretending obesity isn't an issue. I've seen news reports showing VERY heavy people who died of covid and them being described as healthy. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Bill's lucky he "took one for the time" and got Covid prior to the Delta variant. I don't know how well a thin person with poor nutrition would fare either. I know a woman who's on the heavy side, but she takes care of her body as far as eating healthy and taking supplements. Her covid case awhile back was very mild. I know many young people who look healthy on the outside but had horrible cases. They did make it, but my guess they're not as healthy as they look. You can be skinny and not eat enough or fill your body with a bunch of supposedly healthy food, like overdoing it on protein. 

Bill's not wrong though as far as some people pretending obesity isn't an issue. I've seen news reports showing VERY heavy people who died of covid and them being described as healthy. 

Bill is obsessed with obesity and obese people...and it's not the kind of obsession that's one of concern or of caring about people who might have health problems from their condition...it's an obsession of condemnation of them. It's fat shaming and scapegoating. At this point, Bill is nothing more than a bully.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, littlepaw said:

What I can't wrap my head around is that Bill got Covid after getting the vaccination and he's still poo-pooing the idea of getting a booster shot??? I can only speculate that he thinks he would have still gotten a mild case even if he didn't "take one for the team", whatever the bleep that means. He is really delusional. 

Especially when he has at least two things that put him in the higher risk group - he's 65 and has lungs that have been compromized by 50 years of smoking unfiltered pot.  His tiny cough and throat clearing several times during every show should be a clue.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 3

Bill is obsessed with obesity and obese people...and it's not the kind of obsession that's one of concern or of caring about people who might have health problems from their condition...it's an obsession of condemnation of them. 

Based on his comments, though, I think he is more obsessed with how little doctors address obesity and diet with THEIR PATIENTS.  As he once noted on the show, medical students get almost no education on how diet affects everything from high blood pressure to diabetes.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
43 minutes ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

Based on his comments, though, I think he is more obsessed with how little doctors address obesity and diet with THEIR PATIENTS.  As he once noted on the show, medical students get almost no education on how diet affects everything from high blood pressure to diabetes.  

Weird, since actual fat people say that it's *all* their doctors address and it causes real problems. How would Bill know what doctors are addressing with people who aren't him?

• Love 6
15 hours ago, AuntieDiane6 said:

14 hours ago, sistermagpie said:

Weird, since actual fat people say that it's *all* their doctors address and it causes real problems. How would Bill know what doctors are addressing with people who aren't him?

Because that's all you need to "solve obesity" is doctors just telling their patients they are fat and need to lose weight. 😒

And not everyone is "unhealthy" by being above an "ideal weight" that is decided by some panel of who knows who.  Nor is there ever any addressing of the myriad of reasons why people become overweight, some physical, some mental/psychological, some environmental, etc.   

• Love 3
On 8/22/2021 at 5:12 PM, Hooper said:

Against my better judgment, I watched Bill's cell phone rant.  And it seems to me that 90 % of what he was complaining about was the internet, not cell phones.  Sure, it's way more convenient to access the internet with a device that we can carry around in our pocket, but if cell phones ceased to exist today, we would still be able to bully each other, access porn, cancel each other, and plan insurrections via our tablet, lap top, or desk top computer.   Again, slightly less convenient without the phone, but the only ill that Bill railed about that would go away without cell phones is his date staring at the phone during dinner.  And the solution to that isn't to eliminate (dare I say, cancel?) cell phones, it's to associate with better mannered people and maybe make an effort to be more interesting than a game of solitaire.

Bill whined about cell phones a few years ago because of the fallout from then Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling being recorded saying racist shit, which led to him being forced to sell the team. Bill's problem with cell phones seems to be because he's afraid someone will record him saying something offensive and racist and be exposed by it, which I would assume seems to be everyday.

Of course, if everyone took Bill's advice about not using the recording device on your cell phone, we may never have discovered that George Floyd died at the hands of a racist cop!

• Love 5