Type keyword(s) to search

Free Guy (2021)

Avabelle
  • Start Topic

We saw it yesterday.  It was amusing, but not great. Too long. some funny references to other movies. 
 First time in a theater since pandemic. Six people in theater for Sunday afternoon showing in a small beach town. Most people probably at the beach. 

Edited by GussieK
  • Love 1

Overall I wound up enjoying this much more than I thought based on my reaction to the previews.  The version I saw before "Suicide Squad, The" managed to both spoil Dude and make the idea of him really unappealing (thankfully it came off much better in the actual film).  Still, I liked this.  I think I just have a soft spot for Pinocchio stories in general, but I especially like modern takes involving technology.  In some ways, I'm a simple man - give me a robot (or I guess NPC) who learns what it means to have feelings, and I'm a happy viewer.  Bonus points if they seemingly lose their "soul," only to have it miraculously return thanks to love.

There are some flaws - there are certainly aspects of this film that seem pitched at an older, more generalized audience.  Like, I don't know why it was necessary for Guy to be talked about on morning TV, other than that's a boomer movie exec's idea of him being a big deal.  Same with seemingly the whole world tuning into the stream of his escape attempt.  There are also elements of the Millie and Buddy characters that are kind of trope-ish.  Also, I can't help but think that this might have started out as a story about how easy it is (both online or IRL) to treat people as disposable, if you either don't or won't recognize their humanity.  The players think nothing of mowing down anyone in the game - and the evil tech boss sees the players as numbers on an earnings statement, and is willing to trash the whole system (NPC's et al) to protect his position.  To be fair, that stuff is still in there, but it kind of takes a back seat to the action and humor elements.

However, those elements were largely successful, so who can say.  I liked most of the humor in the film - there were plenty of fun moments.  Along those lines, kudos for preserving a lot of the fun surprises, Dude not withstanding.  The cast was really good - Ryan is suitably charming.  Taika was great as the villain, and Joe Keery was likeable as Keys.  I know that Jodie Comer already has a strong reputation from Killing Eve - but I think she has a chance to become a breakout star off of this film.  Hopefully enough people get to see it - normally a movie is still going to have a much wider audience than even a popular TV show, but we'll have to see how things work out here.  My theater tonight (a Tuesday) was more full than I've seen for any movie outside of Black Widow's opening Saturday night.

• Love 7

Wasn't totally stoked to go see this movie, but ended up really enjoying it. It had a very Plato's allegory of the cave/Truman Show-esque ending. Everyone around the world watching to see the character they've come to know and love break free of the false world? Weirdly that got me really emotionally invested in Guy and Keys/Millie winning. Joe Keery and Jodie Comer were wonderful! I know Ryan Reynolds was the star here but to me the movie really succeeded on liking and rooting for Keery and Comer. 

Thankfully we got to see this with no one else in the theatre (the only way I'd really go see a movie) but hopefully the movie has legs because it definitely was a good summer popcorn flick.

• Love 11

I wanted to see this movie, but thought maybe it was one that I should wait for it to come out on dvd and streaming.  When I heard the good reviews, I decided to see it in the theater.  My husband, son and I went last night and we loved it.  It was better than I thought it would be and I was surprised by the love story aspect since none of the trailers I saw hinted at that (maybe there were some out there, but I don't watch every trailer that's released).  I thought it was funny and charming as hell. 

• Love 11

I was also pleasantly surprised by this movie. It had humor and heart. I also loved the cameos. Of course I'm one of those people that tried not to run over or hurt NPC's in grand theft auto. Lol. I only went after people in the missions. 

• Love 9

I have been really excited about this movie for awhile, its got a great cast and I love the premise, and I was not disappointed. It was sweet, funny, exciting, and I like how it mixed and matched so many genres together seamlessly. It was an action comedy science fiction romance with some of The Truman Show mixed with Her for good measure. I just love the idea of NPC's gaining sentience as a new way to tell a story about creating an AI, its a really fun idea that worked out really well. I am glad that it looks like its doing well at the box office, it deserves it. 

Ryan Reynolds was great as always and Joe Keery and Jodie Comer are both just so likable, the movie was just super charming from beginning to end, and I even got a bit emotional a few times, especially when Guy was making his last run to get to the island with the whole world and the NPC's cheering him on, I was cheering right along with them. Then when Millie and keys got together, it was just really cute and I was totally invested in it. I will definitely watch it again.

• Love 13

This was delightful. Surprisingly original, though it had shades of Stranger than Fiction, Truman Show, and Wreck-It Ralph. It was refreshing to see Ryan play someone so chipper and earnest instead of the smartasses he usually plays. And he had great bromantic chemistry with Rep.

As a Stranger Things fan, I was so happy to see Joe Keery aka Steve the Hair Harrington! Glad his character was an actual good guy who gets the girl instead of falling into the Nice Guy Trope.

The cameos were hilarious but of course the part that had me dying was Guy pulling out the shield and Chris Evans’ “What the shit?!” reaction. And then the Hulk hands and lightsaber! Good use of the Fox/Disney merger! LOL.

• Love 14

Just came back from seeing this. It was so much fun! And it had so much heart. Loved all the characters/actors. Loved the cameos. Totally bought into the love story. Not just the love story between our two little programming geniuses but the love story between best buds Guy and Buddy. 

I hate multi-player shoot everything that moves type games but I would totally be into the original game that Keys and Millie created. 

I also thought it was a very visually rich movie. The colors, the CGI Guy that people playing the game or watching on a monitor saw vs the "real" in game Guy was just great detail. 

We have two theatres nearby and one had the movie sold out. It was the "good" theatre. We ended up at the "old" theatre with only two other people but it was also a beautiful day and a holiday so we weren't expecting many people. 

It had me laughing out loud quite a few times and tearing up a bit at the end as well. 

• Love 8

I LOVED this movie!  Way more than I expected to.  A little Lego Movie, a little Truman Show, maybe a little Matrix thrown in for good measure, but I thought it was a lot of fun.  Definitely laughed out loud at Cap’s “What the shit?”, and Guy’s Hulk hand and light saber.  I was a little bit mad at Keyes’ buddy for rebooting the game, but he redeemed himself in the end, I guess.  I would absolutely watch it again.  

• Love 7

I loved this movie, too. We saw it tonight, and it was fun, and sweet. I didn't know that real streamers would be in it, too. I play a video game that featured Guy in it, when the movie came out, and that's how I found out about it (I don't pay much attention to releases). We saw it in a drive-in double feature. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 8/18/2021 at 1:45 AM, Chyromaniac said:

have feelings, and I'm a happy viewer.  Bonus points if they seemingly lose their "soul," only to have it miraculously return thanks to love.

There are some flaws - there are certainly aspects of this film that seem pitched at an older, more generalized audience.  Like, I don't know why it was necessary for Guy to be talked about on morning TV, other than that's a boomer movie exec's idea of him being a big deal.  Same with seemingly the whole world tuning into the stream of his escape attempt.  There are also elements of the Millie and Buddy characters that are kind of trope-ish.  Also, I can't help but think that this might have started out as a story about how easy it is (both online or IRL) to treat people as disposable, if you either don't or won't recognize their humanity.  The players think nothing of mowing down anyone in the game - and the evil tech boss sees the players as numbers on an earnings statement, and is willing to trash the whole system (NPC's et al) to protect his position.  To be fair, that stuff is still in there, but it kind of takes a back seat to the action and humor elements.

That was the whole Truman show element (people were invested in the characters). I remember when Fortnite became a hit, and it was all over the news, because kids were addicted to it. 

I saw this was available to rent and checked it out.  It was fun, silly, and also heart felt.  The bright, generic design of the world was well done and there were lots of fun little details in the background.  The cast worked great together.

I like the cutting between the players and their avatars.  Channing Tatum really committed and funny as an avatar.

• Love 6

I just watched and I really loved it. So heartfelt and sweet and damn funny. I'm so happy I didn't know about the Chris Evans cameo cause I laughed till I hurt. And then the Greatest American Hero music.

I really do love Ryan Reynolds, he can play that little shit Deadpool, and then this sweet Guy. He's just so funny. This movie had some great people in it. I always think Channing Tatum is hilarious and they had my favorite person from Stranger Things, Steve.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Spartan Girl said:

Fine, it was similar to The Truman Show but that didn’t make it any less good!

Is there even a movie today that isn’t heavily reminiscent of an earlier movie? The Truman Show wasn’t a new concept when it was released. 

On 4/3/2022 at 12:46 PM, Hanahope said:

I also thought the movie was much better than the trailer made it look.  even people who don't know much about gaming would likely enjoy it very much.

I am one of those people! My gaming experience pretty much peaked with the original Super Mario Bros. for Nintendo so this was an entirely new world for me. But I thought it was clever and sweet and fun to watch. 

I absolutely LOVED all of the smack talk about original IP vs. sequels and reboots and existing IP because that is my main gripe about movies these days. If it isn't a franchise, does it even exist? 

• Love 6

I also thought the movie was much better than the trailer made it look.  even people who don't know much about gaming would likely enjoy it very much.

This is good to hear, because the main thing keeping me from checking this out was that I didn't think I'd get all the gaming jokes.

About the most I know about games like this is my girlfriend was addicted to World of Warcraft.  I'm guessing this was loosely based on Grand Theft Auto, or games of that genre?  

Anyway, I thought it was just okay.  It did start to get interesting near the end, I thought.  I don't know what it is, I just haven't been able to get into comedy movies lately.  I used to enjoy them, but these days they just seem silly.  

Spoiler

I'm sure a lot of guys would roll their eyes at the part where Jodie Comer discovers that they guy who loves her is the guy she had in the friendzone though.  Her reaction is like "Omigosh, I never knew, everything I wanted was right in front of me all along".  Lol, yeah, not likely.