Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: The Grizzly

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Prying wildlife continues to stalk the remaining competitors, threatening their food and their safety; one participant finds a grizzly too close to home, while another is unprepared when their health takes an unexpected turn for the worse.

Original air date: July 22, 2021

ETA: Teasers for this episode are showing

Spoiler

someone being pulled for health reasons.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
(edited)

When I saw in a teaser that there was going to be a medical pull, I immediately thought it was going to be Theresa.  I totally forgot about Rose.  She's the least memorable contestant of the season. 

ETA:  I wonder if I'm mis-interpreting the teaser showing the medical pull.  Maybe there is a 2nd one coming up? 

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 3

Notes while watching:

Clay. My anxiety high. Fearless, cup and recliner, grizzly attack, my heart! Why isn't he scared? 

Colter. Bathroom talk, Ewww gross.  Grubby and skinny. Cutting line. 

Theresa. Strong, starving. Gift of beach fish, starving yet gagging? She must really hate fish. 

Biko. Resilient, dirty and freezing. Funny, homicidal. 

Rose. Early riser, cold and hungry, tough as nails. Can they kill bobcats? Purple toes, blacking out, no button. Carried out. Who is this tough? 

It was weird watching this because for the past several weeks, here on the east coast we've had relentlessly heavy, dark, overcast weather, and despite having every possible comfort, it's doing my head in. I feel like I'm not even the same species as these incredibly tough and resourceful people. My only food-related problem is how not to eat too much. My only animal-related problem is that my dog just chewed a hole in my new comforter. I'm such a cream puff. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 7

I felt for Theresa. I have an intolerance for fish and shellfish. I don't break out in hives or have trouble breathing but I get nauseous and diarrhea. So I could eat fish, in small amounts, and be fine but I associate the smell with bad things because I am used to bad things happening when I eat fish. I was raised Catholic in New England, fish every Friday no matter what. It took years to convince my Mom to let me have something else for dinner. I would be gagging down that fish. But I was happy to see her find something and keep on going.

Rose tapping was not a surprise. She made it far longer then I thought she would. I strongly suspect that her crappy shelter had something to do with her issues, she could not get warm enough in that shelter to prevent the frostbite. She had no place to go to warm up and maintain that warmth. I had grown to appreciate her until her final interview where she played up being a big game hunter again. Going out with a group of people, including trackers, and a big ass gun is not impressive to me. You have multiple people with big ass guns to keep people safe. There is not all that much risky in those trips. Admittedly, I am the person who smiles when I read a story about a big game hunter who gets killed and eaten by the big game. She sounds like someone who has had a rough life and has done some pretty great things in spite of that but the big game hunting thing is not what I would be highlighting.

Biko has grown on me. I would love to see him finish second to Theresa. He has a great attitude,  a dislike for mice, and a good game plan. Gain weight to lose it but keep on trying to fish and get food. His persona has toned down and is more natural, which is fun because I feel like it is Biko without the extra helping of BIKO. I did laugh at his hair comment. I think he is in a good mental place if his main concern is having to shave his head because of dreads if crying while combing it with tons of conditioner doesn't work.

Clay scares me. I think he is trying to get killed. Seriously, he wanted to tree a mountain lion in the first episode and now he is running toward grizzly bears. What the fuck?

Colter, eccentric and making a solid effort but not really sure what to make of him. I just don't get his approach. Why not fish from the boat?

Is it just me or do the contestants this season seem far dirtier then past years or am I just noticing the layers upon layers of grime. Colter is the one I notice it on the most but the others seem to have gross hands. Colter seems to have not washed his face the entire time out there.

• Love 11
22 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Is it just me or do the contestants this season seem far dirtier then past years or am I just noticing the layers upon layers of grime. Colter is the one I notice it on the most but the others seem to have gross hands. Colter seems to have not washed his face the entire time out there.

Colter is absolutely disgusting to look at, I imagine he smells like a bear and that's why no bears are around him any more. He did take that one skinny dip back in episode 1 or 2 but otherwise, he just seems to be reveling in his grossness. "Bathing" has been something highlighted in previous seasons. For instance, in season 5 (I think), they had teams. One of the teams was an opposite sex married couple who made a point of describing n camera one of their items was a big bar of soap.

Theresa....is a fool. That first fish she found, probably ok if she cooked the hell out of it. That second one she found...yeah that's going to take her out real quick. I am now pulling for Biko (I was pulling for Theresa).

Clay...should not be surprised when he gets home and his wife decides a divorce is best for herself and the kids, he is just too reckless.

• Love 5
(edited)

I didn't think Rose had purple toes; they looked white (and frostbitten) to me. 

But I, too, figured it was Theresa** the rescue boat was racing for.

Or even Clay, because  of the prowling grizzly. That proximity would have made me tap out! 

At least Rose looked healthy in the post-departure interview!

Ah, Biko, you should have just shaved (if possible)! Whoever here deduced earlier that he had gained weight deliberately to survive, good on ya! He looks to me like a Samoan who took a wrong turn!

** I assumed, based on the show's warning that harmful bacteria are often found in beached dead fish, that Theresa was going to become deathly ill! No wonder she almost gagged trying to swallow the bugger! 

Colton. Yuck. Please tap next. 

So to date, as shown: No squirrels. One rabbit. One deer. A few small (and live-caught!) fish. 

But lately, the fishing nets, traps, and cast lures all fail. The arrows go unleashed. The berries and mushrooms die in the cold. 

Four remain. What will they eat?!

(ProfCrash, fellow Catholic here. Didn't your mother ever hear of Macaroni and Cheese?! 😋)

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

Did Theresa say she was intolerant of fish or that she just didn't like it?  My impression was that it was the latter.  I'm really no big fan of hers, to be honest.  She takes some arguably foolish risks like the one last week where she could have died from hypothermia and now eating beach fish.  And I REALLY want a woman to win for a change, too.

I agree with @ProfCrashthat it was likely Rose's insufficiently warm shelter that made her get the frostbite after only 33 days.  We've seen frostbite before but I don't think it was this early.  I have one question, though - are women more prone to frostbite than men?  Because the last person I remember on this show that had it was also a woman.  I can't remember any men offhand that have had it so far.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Melina22 said:

It was weird watching this because for the past several weeks, here on the east coast we've had relentlessly heavy, dark, overcast weather, and despite having every possible comfort, it's doing my head in. I feel like I'm not even the same species as these incredibly tough and resourceful people. 

I hear you, me too, not to mention the horrific heat/humidity and now the white/gray skies due to the smoke from the Western fires in the upper atmosphere.  We're not smelling smoke here in the Northeast, but the air quality hasn't been so great either.

Every year I watch this show I am reminded of how much less able to withstand what they're facing out there I am due to getting older.  I'll be 63 next month (which I can't even believe).  When I was young I loved being outdoors and could have handled some of this but definitely not now.  I doubt I could last a day out there now!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

Is it just me or do the contestants this season seem far dirtier then past years or am I just noticing the layers upon layers of grime

The men for sure! Surely Colter could rinse his hands off once a week. 

12 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I have one question, though - are women more prone to frostbite than men? 

Interesting question! 

I have to admit I totally underestimated Rose and Theresa at the start of the season. I dismissed them as lightweights but I was wrong. With access to some food, they'd probably still be out there. 

The Starve/Bear Off continues... 

• Love 4
(edited)
47 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I hear you, me too, not to mention the horrific heat/humidity and now the white/gray skies due to the smoke from the Western fires in the upper atmosphere.  We're not smelling smoke here in the Northeast, but the air quality hasn't been so great either.

Yes, we've had some smoke warnings but I haven't noticed anything personally. Maybe because I'm preoccupied with weather so dreary some my flowers are rotting in their pots. (Reminds me of the poor people trying to survive during the Vancouver rainforest seasons.) 

47 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

When I was young I loved being outdoors and could have handled some of this but definitely not now.  I doubt I could last a day out there now!

Yup. That's me 100%.When I was young I actually camped with my children in the cold Atlantic rain for a week. Tented alone with 4 children from 10 months to 13 years old. Good times, good times. 😁

Edited by Melina22
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

So to date, as shown: No squirrels. One rabbit. One deer. A few small (and live-caught!) fish. 

And I think they said they weren't allowed to trap squirrels. 

I'm very frustrated with this season. The show seems to be reveling in the fact that this is the harshest terrain ever. The narrator practically brags about it in the opening title sequence. Like that's what the show's goal is. It's not interesting watching people starve to death. It would be far more interesting if the contestants were were in a terrain with far more available food sources. That's why the show is called Alone, not Starvation. I understand that if they had plentiful food resources they could theoretically last out there for years and the show doesn't want that, but they keep pushing the envelope further and further in the other direction, and it gets less and less interesting as a result.

• Love 17

I agree iMonrey. Compare this season to season 3. Season 3 was a joy to watch, even though people on that season also ended up starving, on the way to starvation so much creativity was unleashed, so much beauty was appreciated, so many emotions were freely expressed it was almost spiritual just watching it on tv! This season is just harsh, gross, unpleasant and not uplifting.

• Love 8

Excellent points ^^^^.

Why have trapping skills, if not allowed? Why have fishing skills (and boat-building!), if no fish? Why have certain wild animals off-limits as food sources?  

And why---no, seriously, why---choose  Grizzly territory for the show?  

What's next, a desert terrain that's home to rattlesnakes, with prairie dogs off-limits and only saguaro cactus for nourishment? 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

(ProfCrash, fellow Catholic here. Didn't your mother ever hear of Macaroni and Cheese?! 😋)

My Parents were born and raised Catholic and were very set that we shall all eat fish on Fridays. They figured I didn't like it and that was not a good reason to not eat what the family ate. We are talking hours at the table eating all the brussle sprouts because you will eat your dinner mindset. I needed a Doctor to say "Yeah, no fish for her" and it took a while for me to realize I should ask the Doctor about said issues because allergies were not a common topic in the 1980's.

2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Did Theresa say she was intolerant of fish or that she just didn't like it?  My impression was that it was the latter.  I'm really no big fan of hers, to be honest.  She takes some arguably foolish risks like the one last week where she could have died from hypothermia and now eating beach fish.  And I REALLY want a woman to win for a change, too.

I agree with @ProfCrashthat it was likely Rose's insufficiently warm shelter that made her get the frostbite after only 33 days.  We've seen frostbite before but I don't think it was this early.  I have one question, though - are women more prone to frostbite than men?  Because the last person I remember on this show that had it was also a woman.  I can't remember any men offhand that have had it so far.

There are sleeping bags made for women that have the filling centered in different locations because of difference in circulation systems. The shapes of the sleeping bags are a bit different as well to accommodate wider hips. I switched to a female sleeping bag when we started backpacking more seriously and not just because I could get the bag in purple.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I feel like it is Biko without the extra helping of BIKO.

Yes.  This!  Biko is also growing on me, but I'm not overly fond of BIKO.  Actually, I quite liked Biko last night.  He's going a little overboard on the whole troll this and troll that, but I think having a rich fantasy life will help him entertain himself and keep the lonelys away.  When he first started talking about his pregnant wife, I thought "Uh-oh, here he goes" but nope.  Our first beloved winner, Alan, did much the same thing without the weirdness.  Remember, he kept himself entertained by mentally going over classic books and poetry while he was hunkered down there under his rotten log.  If Biko keeps that up, and actually manages to get some fish--perhaps after the prohibition on gill nets expires--he just might win.

My heart is still in it for Theresa to win, but man is she taking some risks!  She's scaring me, but if she can last until she can net fish, maybe that will turn the tide for her.  If not, I expect she'll be out next week.

I definitely believe that Rose's shelter contributed to her incipient frostbite issues.  Last week I was concerned because she kept referring to it as her "tent" which tells me she very much has that big game hunter mindset and prioritizing her shelter just didn't occur to her.  How scary was that when she was walking around, too weak and dizzy to stand up, so she passed out and didn't have her comm system with her?  Not only that, but when production came to do the med check, she didn't respond to their "hey, we're coming, wait by your shelter" call, which amped up their concern.  With good reason, she seemed nearly unresponsive when they got there.  I'd almost call that because she had CO poisoning from smoke in her shelter, but she had no fire near or in her shelter.  I'm pretty sure that was all hypothermia.  She's tough, I'll give her that, she didn't tap out, she went out on a medical.  I'm sure she'll brag on that for years, but I'm not sure that's anything to brag about.

Colter is scaring me too.  But in a psychotic, scary hermit dude kind of way.  He's so dirty looking it appears he could grow potatoes in his beard.  He's also developing some crazy eyes.  I thought he built that boat to fish from it, but I haven't seen him do that.  Maybe he doesn't feel steady enough in it to cast a line, and he's also waiting for the gill net restriction to lift.

And speaking of scaring me, and insane?  This brings me to Clay.  What is he doing rushing towards grizzly bears?  He just seems to be too into his own legend, a tish bit overconfident he could wrestle or scare a grizzly away just because he's a manly man.  I don't even think he took his bow with him.  He seems to be talking rationally, but then he goes off and does something nuts like that.  Maybe production will see that footage and give him a mental evaluation and pull him for insanity.  Or he'll tap out on his own, he was talking more about his family in that episode, and we know that is a sign of impending doom.

All in all, viewing all this has become fraught with tension, so it is no wonder that happy-go-lucky, pack-the-pounds-on-so-I-last-longer Biko has raised in my standings.  He's not taking outrageous risks and freaking me out, and with that dusting of snow, his little shelter now looks like what Hagrid's hut would look like if he were a hobbit.  I found it quite charming!

• Love 9

I've been gripping about Rose's shelter the whole time, but to hear/realize she didn't even have a fire in her shelter to keep her warmer? Look, "roughing it" to me is not having marble in the hotel bathroom, but even I would have figured that one out.

Colter's boat is incredible (how has it not sprung a leak sitting on the rocks?!) and hopefully he sticks to line fishing now. (We've seen him successfully do this.)

I guess Theresa's burns aren't bad enough to get pulled. Blisters rubbing up against all those layers though? Eeeeh. That can't be fun.

• Love 8

Serious question from a person whose idea of "roughing it" is staying at a hotel that doesn't have free wireless.

As we watch these folks struggle to catch fish . . . 

Would it make sense to tie their hook to a piece of wood, with the piece of line about 12" below the wood (which would float, like a bobber)?  The wood would be attached to a long piece of line that they would keep on the shore.  The wood would be easier to toss farther than just a hook.  Then the hook could float for longer than they seem to be able to keep it out there by just tossing it and pulling it back in.  I know they apparently don't have "bait," so what would the difference be in just letting the hook itself dangle for a little longer?

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
26 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

I definitely believe that Rose's shelter contributed to her incipient frostbite issues.  Last week I was concerned because she kept referring to it as her "tent" which tells me she very much has that big game hunter mindset and prioritizing her shelter just didn't occur to her. 

That's because she probably never had to worry about shelter on her big game hunts.  When she talked about her hunting skills in the first episode, it sounded like she took part in paid safaris which would have also included nice camps and people to cook food for the participants.  I think it's called "glamping."

• Love 7

I don't have all the statistics, but we're on episode 8 and only up to day 37.  I think this may be the shortest stay on Alone ever.  Alan from S1 lasted something like 53-54 days IIRC, and that was shortest up until now. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
35 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

And speaking of scaring me, and insane?  This brings me to Clay.  What is he doing rushing towards grizzly bears? 

Did you notice how he was SMILING after the grizzly rushed him? That's not normal. 

36 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

Colter is scaring me too.  But in a psychotic, scary hermit dude kind of way. 

Sadly, yes. Picture him in another couple of months. 

12 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I know they apparently don't have "bait," so what would the difference be in just letting the hook itself dangle for a little longer?

They don't have bait? Why would the fish bite then? In earlier seasons they always managed to scrabble together some kind of bait. If you can't even find bait, you shouldn't be there. 

1 hour ago, LennieBriscoe said:

What's next, a desert terrain that's home to rattlesnakes, with prairie dogs off-limits and only saguaro cactus for nourishment? 

I suggest the side of a live volcano. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

They don't have bait? Why would the fish bite then? In earlier seasons they always managed to scrabble together some kind of bait. If you can't even find bait, you shouldn't be there. 

To this city slicker, "bait" is something you get at the Bait Shop (like worms).  You are right that they may have scrabbled together something.  I recall that one guy converted part of his silver toothbrush into a lure, and they were probably able to create other lures.

• Love 1

By bait, I meant something alive, like worms, obviously, or bugs. In the past they used periwinkles or the entrails of animals. I guess they don't have any shellfish or animal parts, but no worms? Where do worms even go in the winter? (This just now occurred to me.) 

Without bait, why would fish bother swimming into the fish traps? Well, obviously they didn't. In the past I'm sure they baited them. 

• Love 4
(edited)
34 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Serious question from a person whose idea of "roughing it" is staying at a hotel that doesn't have free wireless.

As we watch these folks struggle to catch fish . . . 

Would it make sense to tie their hook to a piece of wood, with the piece of line about 12" below the wood (which would float, like a bobber)?  The wood would be attached to a long piece of line that they would keep on the shore.  The wood would be easier to toss farther than just a hook.  Then the hook could float for longer than they seem to be able to keep it out there by just tossing it and pulling it back in.  I know they apparently don't have "bait," so what would the difference be in just letting the hook itself dangle for a little longer?

And just why, one must wonder, do they have no bait?! Are there no worms in Grizzlyville? Maybe some jettisoned deer offal could have been "re-purposed" (and not into a bar cart, haha! ["Flea Market Flip" jest])? Or Biko's (presumably  flattened) mouse? Or one of his beard-braids?

I don't know; what lures a rainbow trout?

Melina22, GMTA!

Edited by LennieBriscoe
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

Would it make sense to tie their hook to a piece of wood, with the piece of line about 12" below the wood (which would float, like a bobber)?  The wood would be attached to a long piece of line that they would keep on the shore. 

I think that's what Theresa is doing, and what she risked her life to go untangle in a prior episode.  It doesn't seem to be doing any better at catching fish than casting from shore though.  Without bait or a lure, it seems that fishing is a fruitless exercise.  I'm sure everyone thought they'd be able to use fish guts or mouse guts or berries as bait, but as we've seen, those all are in short supply.  And pretty much nonexistent now.

41 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Did you notice how he was SMILING after the grizzly rushed him? That's not normal. 

I know!  That's when I realized Clay is really not all there anymore.  Or maybe he never was....maybe he's always had this "I am SUPERMAN!" self-image, but his social filters have kept it hidden.  The filters seem to have been stripped off now, and he's letting his crazy show.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ProfCrash said:

My Parents were born and raised Catholic and were very set that we shall all eat fish on Fridays. They figured I didn't like it and that was not a good reason to not eat what the family ate. We are talking hours at the table eating all the brussle sprouts because you will eat your dinner mindset. I needed a Doctor to say "Yeah, no fish for her" and it took a while for me to realize I should ask the Doctor about said issues because allergies were not a common topic in the 1980's.

There are sleeping bags made for women that have the filling centered in different locations because of difference in circulation systems. The shapes of the sleeping bags are a bit different as well to accommodate wider hips. I switched to a female sleeping bag when we started backpacking more seriously and not just because I could get the bag in purple.

I dated a Catholic boy in college (12 years of Catholic school for him), and he only ate fish on Lent. It was not a year round thing. Not understanding this.

Just now, Rebky said:

I dated a Catholic boy in college (12 years of Catholic school for him), and he only ate fish on Lent. It was not a year round thing. Not understanding this.

Different schools of thought. Fish Fries in the Mid West are a summer thing and tied back to the Catholics, not during Lent. Some Catholics treat fish on Friday as a Lent thing, some are year round.  I might be off on the history but I believe it ties back to a Pope whose family sold fish and wasn't making a lot of money so the Pope came up with a Theological reason to require Catholics to eat fish. That could just be bad history though.

• LOL 1

Yet another week of nothing showing up in a fish trap. And that goes for every survival show I’ve ever watched. For me, it’s gotten to the point that I now don’t want the streak to be broken.

Colter’s boat looks like it isn’t going to last much longer. It’s taking on water and on the edge of being “lake-worthy.” I hope he wears his life jacket on the next voyage.

Isn’t Theresa a vegetarian, thus her difficulty with getting the fish down her throat?

Biko’s mouse problem reminded me of the days of Larry(?) going on an f bomb rant about the mice in his shelter. Good times! Biko, set up a trap FFS! 

Frankly, I’m finding this season boring. There, I said it.

• Love 7

Wow, so many rules!! I'm guessing they're trying to make it almost impossible to hunt or fish there but why? It's such an underpopulated area. How many hunters and fishers could there be? Whatever the reason it seems crazy to set a survival show there. 

I'm not bored by this season, but as others have noted there's a grim, brutal tone to this season I didn't see in others till the very end. It's like they've all been mostly starving since day one, while surrounded by grizzlies. 

• Love 11

Digression: Canon Law wasn't specifically to eat fish; it was NOT to eat meat from "warm-blooded" animals. This was for every Friday, all year, not only during Lent, to remember Good Friday and do penance 

This, in fact, remains the Canon Law (#1250 and #1251) of Roman Catholicism. However, in 1966 the U.S. National Conference of Catholic Bishops tried to have it both ways, removing the obligation but substituting their hope that Catholics would yet maintain the Law, in order to remember actively Christ's Sacrifice. 

But NPR says the story of a Pope's  desire to prop up the fishing industry is...a fish tale!  

I hope that wasn't too pedantic!

• Useful 4
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
17 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

When I saw in a teaser that there was going to be a medical pull, I immediately thought it was going to be Theresa. 

That's what I was afraid of.  I was thinking that eating that dead fish was going to take her out.  I want her to stay around to see how well her shelter works.

I can't believe Rose was walking around without her Comms pack, I think that's the first time I've seen that on this show.  Not a good idea.  I guess it was just a coincidence that they came for a wellness check on that day?

I'm no expert on fishing, but won't singing loudly by the water scare off the fish potentially (Biko)?

Colter's boat doesn't seem to be paying the dividends he was hoping for, unless there's something going on that we're not seeing.

Clay and the bear, I have no words.

• Love 6
(edited)
45 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

Wow, so many rules!! I'm guessing they're trying to make it almost impossible to hunt or fish there but why? It's such an underpopulated area. How many hunters and fishers could there be? Whatever the reason it seems crazy to set a survival show there. 

I'm not bored by this season, but as others have noted there's a grim, brutal tone to this season I didn't see in others till the very end. It's like they've all been mostly starving since day one, while surrounded by grizzlies. 

I live in B.C. and I believe most of the strict regulations are to allow the First Nations in the area access to a good supply of game/fish. 

Edited by RunningMarket
  • Useful 7
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Colter is scaring me too.   He's also developing some crazy eyes.  

He had crazy eyes from the beginning.  They're just more noticeable because of the weight loss.

I knew Rose would be next to go.  That shelter was pitiful.  How could she expect to last with a tarp and some branches?  And no fire?!?  

I'm with Theresa.  I hate fish.  I turned to Mr. Max when she was gagging it down and said, "Yup, that's me."  But whatever you have to do to survive.  Hope it lasts and she can get more beach fish.

Why isn't Colton turning his boat upside down so he doesn't have to scoop snow out of it?  And why isn't he fishing more from it?  His fish basket was nice, probably the nicest I've seen on any of these types of shows, but they don't work well.  They never have.  

I'm thinking Biko might mess up his ankle and need a medical pull.  He's talked about it quite a bit and the mouse just ate his brace.  He is slightly less annoying, but still bothers me.  And if he's so worried about his hair turning to dreadlocks, take out the braids and comb it!  You can rebraid it!

Clay is absolutely insane.  That is all.

• Love 8
(edited)
7 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I have just been waiting for them to do Northern Ontario in black fly season 😄

I have terrible circulation to my finger tips and toes, prob from getting frostbite as a kid (my diagnosis). Mr Blackie cant believe how cold my feet can be in our house.Once they get cold I pretty much have to have a hot bath to get the blood flowing to them again. Maybe Rose has bad circulation and also in her bad shelter she never got them warmed up.

Are they doing another season of Alone which they will start filming soon? With the forest fires this year in BC I don't think they will be able to do it.

I think Theresa thinks the fish is Ok because she prob goes down that beach everyday and just found the fish today so it is not like they have been laying around for too long. Still risky.

Edited by Blackie
spelling
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

And the air temp is probably cold enough that it is like a fridge.  My concerns would be how long it had been dead in the water before it washed up, and what did it die from?  I don't think the water level drained so suddenly in the lake that the fish was left high and dry and it didn't have a chance to swim with the receding water.  Maybe there was a rogue wave that tossed it onto shore, or a puddle that dried up.  Or production didn't want her to tap, so they tossed it up there?  Who knows.  Im just glad that so far it hasn't made her sick, and now she's got fish guts to use as bait.

I know a lot of people don't like fish or seafood, but trout--to me--is almost in a category of its own, as a fresh water fish.  To me it doesn't have that seafood-y, "smells like fish" odor, and the taste is very sweet and mild.  Oh man, now I'm hungry!

Edited by HurricaneVal
Because fish "guts" are very different from fish "guys"
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
26 minutes ago, HurricaneVal said:

My concerns would be how long it had been dead in the water before it washed up, and what did it die from? 

Exactly!  I'm no expert on fish, but having grown up going camping and fishing, dead fish on the shoreline was something you didn't mess with.   If I was starving though, it might look pretty tasty!

4 hours ago, rmontro said:

Clay and the bear, I have no words.

He probably turned off the camera and proceeded to crap his pants, then turned the camera back on and acted cool about the situation.  I think he was rattled more than he let on.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I don't have all the statistics, but we're on episode 8 and only up to day 37.  I think this may be the shortest stay on Alone ever.  Alan from S1 lasted something like 53-54 days IIRC, and that was shortest up until now. 

Lack of food!  Nothing to catch and such harsh restrictions. 
You always give a person a fair chance. This season they did not!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Exactly!  I'm no expert on fish, but having grown up going camping and fishing, dead fish on the shoreline was something you didn't mess with.   If I was starving though, it might look pretty tasty!

Apparently it didn't look that tasty to Theresa.  I love fish myself, but I know some people don't.  Even so, I'm surprised how repulsive it was to her, considering how hungry she must have been.  I would think that if you were starving, fish would taste wonderful, even if you didn't usually like it.  Not taking into account the "dead fish on the shore" effect here.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 7/23/2021 at 10:00 PM, Jeanne222 said:

Lack of food!  Nothing to catch and such harsh restrictions. 
You always give a person a fair chance. This season they did not!

This season should be called “The Hunger Games.” If contestants are allowed to take commercial bows and arrows, they should be able to take a rod and reel and lures, IMO.
Unbelievable that Rose had no fire pit in her shelter. 🤦‍♀️
Fuckin’ Larry and the mouse. Good times! 😆

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 11
11 hours ago, Blackie said:

I have just been waiting for them to do Northern Ontario in black fly season 😄

This spring here by the Atlantic ocean we had a sudden and unexpected blackfly plague of biblical proportions. It only lasted a couple of weeks but it would have been literally impossible for people to live in the woods during it, without industrial strength Deet or some brilliant olden days remedy. I thought about Alone a lot, as I often do now when we go off road in the woods, wondering how the indigenous people used to deal with this. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

The first little fish that Theresa found looked fresh to me.  Perhaps she was right that an eagle had dropped it.  The larger fish that she found dead in the water looked bloody on the side and quite stiff as if it had been dead for a while.  I would have been hesitant to eat that. 

I love that she coined the term "beach fish".  She's certainly a memorable contestant. 

• Love 7

I've Googled to try to find out when the bears will go into hibernation.  As near as I can tell from various sites, grizzlies and black bears hibernate from roughly December to May.  I'm not sure exactly what time it is during the show right now but it seems like bear sightings should be decreasing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

The first little fish that Theresa found looked fresh to me.  Perhaps she was right that an eagle had dropped it.  The larger fish that she found dead in the water looked bloody on the side and quite stiff as if it had been dead for a while.  I would have been hesitant to eat that. 

I'm with you there, that second fish looked positively nasty.  Maybe she's part vulture.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1