Type keyword(s) to search

The Wonder Years: The Media Thread

• Start Topic

On 8/26/2021 at 6:00 PM, AimingforYoko said:

New trailer:

Okay....SO looking forward to this.  One of the white kids in the class reminds me a bit of Fred Savage.  I wonder if they did this on purpose.  

I think the network will just look at the ratings when making a renewal decision.

Although Savage was doubtlessly important in establishing this new show (he directed several episodes), now that it's going I think others can fill in.  He was one of four executive producers.  Saladin K. Patterson is credited as the creator, and is the "showrunner".  I think they'll be fine.

• Love 2

The Wonder Years has been awarded a Peabody. Acceptance video link at this site:

https://peabodyawards.com/award-profile/the-wonder-years-2/

This reimagining of the beloved 1980s show is more than just an inspired 21st century reboot. The Wonder Years shows the universal aspects of coming of age in middle-class suburban America no matter the decade. Masterfully altering the comedic premise to expound on the uniqueness of Black American life in the late 1960s—the pilot opens the week Dr. King was killed—the series points out how much there is to overcome, still, in our current time of racial reckoning. The juxtaposition of the 1960s and our present day leads to absurd dichotomies and hilarious analogies delivered by the crisp, pitch-perfect timing of narrator Don Cheadle as the older, wiser version of main character Dean Williams. The crown jewel of the show, Elisha “EJ” Williams, inhabits the awkward, everyman role with the distinction of an African American lens. What the youngster brings most to the role is a sense of wonderment that we can all recognize as a hallmark of those early tween years. There is a consistent joy in this series that makes it the perfect vehicle for teaching without preaching some basic lessons on getting to know each other regardless of race. For its willful depiction of Black joy, The Wonder Years is awarded a Peabody.

• Love 2
58 minutes ago, possibilities said:

It also looks like they are brining in a parade of big name guest stars. I guess they think they need that in order to boost ratings?

Probably, but that may have been before ABC decided to move it to Summer

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Wonder Years was screwed over by Home Economics not getting a full season. If HE had got the back 9, they could’ve found room for Wonder Years in February either on Wednesday or on a different night. HE actually deserved a full season this year. The ratings were there this year. But this year they were the only fall sitcom not to get the back 9 and with Not Dead Yet replacing that at 9:30, ABC didn’t have another sitcom available to pair with the Wonder Years. I don’t know where ABC will put this in the summer. It could end up on Hulu or Disney+.

Edited by nelroy78

It did better in ratings than HE last year.   HE, though, somebody likes.   Wonder Years not so much.  This show is DOA likely which is sad, it should have had the same shot as HE to make the grade.  

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, bybrandy said:

It did better in ratings than HE last year.   HE, though, somebody likes.   Wonder Years not so much.  This show is DOA likely which is sad, it should have had the same shot as HE to make the grade.  

It really is sad. It's a good show. I really like the characters especially Lillian and Kim.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

I forgot about this show and was happy to see a commercial pop up. I wonder if it was always on the schedule or if they're airing it due to the writer's strike and they need something new.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snow Apple said:

I forgot about this show and was happy to see a commercial pop up. I wonder if it was always on the schedule or if they're airing it due to the writer's strike and they need something new.

It was supposed to air mid-season, but in March, they pushed it back to air over the summer 🤷‍♀️

• Like 2
15 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

It was supposed to air mid-season, but in March, they pushed it back to air over the summer 🤷‍♀️

Which makes me worry that this will be it's last season. If so this will be the second show ABC did to a show I like this season.  

8 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

Which makes me worry that this will be it's last season. If so this will be the second show ABC did to a show I like this season.  

There are a few shows that ABC has not announced their fates yet, so maybe The Wonder Years will make it through. The Writer’s strike has made things up for grabs…

The fact that the timeline is completely wrong bothers me way more than it should. I understand what the series was trying to do, but starting the series with the King assasination in April of 68 was a huge mistake. It's also dissapointing that the network didn't trust that people would be able to watch a show in which the month on the show did not line up with the month in which it aired. (Cable has been doing that kind of thing for years and it was fine. Mad Men aired the start of season 2 in July with an episode set on Valentine's Day. I refuse to believe that the cable audience is vastly smarter than network audience.) This series completely ruined not only its internal timeline but also any sense of continuity (both within the show and with the original series).  

On 7/7/2023 at 8:58 AM, nelroy78 said:

According to IMDb Bruce returns next episode which isn’t until July 26. He had moved into the basement late last season and then we haven’t heard anything else so gonna be interesting to see how he is written into this episode/season. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt26421636/fullcredits

That's good. I was beginning to wonder if we would ever see Bruce again. He moved into the basement and disappeared.

4 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

That's good. I was beginning to wonder if we would ever see Bruce again. He moved into the basement and disappeared.

At least they’re not making him the new “Chuck Cunningham”.

• Like 1