Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E06: Smoked

Quilt Fairy
  • Start Topic

(edited)

The remaining participants fight to protect their food supplies as they face continued pressure; one survivalist's  shelter poses a serious threat, while another's health takes a consequential hit

Original air date: July 8, 2021. 

Edited by Quilt Fairy

And Nate's out.  Once he ate the squirrel poop and started feeling sick I was  "Uh Oh".  Puking is never good.  Bummer about his big fish.  Nice net, looks a little small.  Little fish is better than nothing.  Nice fishing pole. All for naught.

Good on Clay getting the deer.  Now he has to preserve it and keep it away from the bears.  He should have this in the bag, but like with Nate, you never know.  His smokehouse looks awesome.  What a rainbow!

Colton, why did you leave those berries out?  Finally!  A fish trap that looks big enough.

Theresa needs better ventilation.  Her fireplace looks like a good solution.  Her shelter looks awesome.  Now she really needs food.  Interesting she is OCD and has never lived alone.  I've lived alone for 38 years and am quite happy with it.

Biko is cool.  I like his rules.  His trap is too small, but good job hooking one!  I suppose I could eat those eyeballs in that situation.  Yuck!

Rose finally appears!  She's had some tough breaks.  The shelter thing confuses me.

• Love 9

Clay got a standing ovation in my house when he took down the buck.  I'm also happy that the Alone producers now know that the contestants can get big game kills somewhere other than Great Slave Lake.

Bushcraft lessons learned:  don't eat squirrel poop (and, from last week, don't eat your own mucus).  Good to know.

• Love 5

Clay obviously became most likely to succeed after shooting the deer.  I'm surprised he only got 30 lbs of meat from a 130 lb deer. 

I can't believe Biko lost 50 lbs in 25 days.  That guy should be dead and instead he's walking around singing and writing to-do lists. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Clay obviously became most likely to succeed after shooting the deer.  I'm surprised he only got 30 lbs of meat from a 130 lb deer. 

I can't believe Biko lost 50 lbs in 25 days.  That guy should be dead and instead he's walking around singing and writing to-do lists. 

He said he didn’t have his pack with him so he couldn’t mass carry the meat. Then the pop up said it was a 2.5 mile trek to the kill site from his camp, so each trip carrying the meat was 5 miles. I am not sure how much of what he brought back was simply limited by the hike and not having a pack. But what really confused me was that he went back to his camp with the first load, he could have picked up his Pack and carried more meat. I would think that you when you are  worried about starving you are less worried about getting your back pack interior super messy with raw deer meat.

Theresa’s shelter looks great but I am wondering what she has been doing for food. Rose’s shelter looks better but still not great. Biko seems to be in good enough spirits. Colton is an interesting character, the cranberry hole was not going to work. 

Nate made a good call for himself. Drinking water with any poop is bad, just don’t do it. 

I read the article that someone posted about the women mauled by a bear in her tent. The article said that they removed food from the tent after they heard the bear outside. Never, ever bring food inside your tent. It leaves a scent. Food stays in your cooler, bear bag, bear locker, car, or someplace away from where you are sleeping.It sounds like that bear was too used to humans and probably had been finding food around the camping area far too easily. 

• Love 4

Why did Nate wait so long to build a fishing rod? Why did he wait so long to build a fish net? Why are the hunting and fishing regulations so strict in this gods forsaken hell hole? (No gill nets?!?!?!?!? That explains all the fish traps) Speaking of fish traps, Colton's trap looked like a work of art. Speaking of art, Theresa's shelter is very nice, Im glad she sorted out the fireplace situation but Im getting really stressed out wondering about her food situation, we've not seen her do anything food related. Speaking of food, I feel really bad for all those tiny, juvenile fish they keep catching, surprised there isnt a fishing regulation stipulating minimum fish length and weight. Speaking of weight, 30 pounds of meat from 130 pound animal seems suspect. I swear, last season Roland killed that 300 pound musk ox and clearly harvested about 298 pounds of everything even SLIGHTLY edible off that thing and he had to hike further, in the snow and ice for his kill. Speaking of kill, I'm feeling bad for Rose, she needs to be killing some deer or something, she's getting depressed.

Good call Nate, no reason to wreck your health for this (or any) show. I hope, moving forward (if there is another season of this show), contestants enter the competition at a "healthy chubby" weight after seriously training themselves to subsist of marginal foods or jsut at the very least, DON'T come on this show already under-weight. I dont think we've seen this fast a drop off in contestants in many seasons (looking at Wikipedia, the first and second season's had this high level of attrition).

• Love 7

I believe that Roland had his pack with him when he was hunting and brought home a ton the first trip. I think he made a second trip as well. then he went back the following day and was lucky that the carcass was still there and it was cold enough that the meat was safe.

Clay did not have his pack with him and, for some reason that I don't understand, did not take his pack back with him to move more meat. I am not sure that the temps were cold enough that the deer meat would have been safe the carcass survived the night. I really doubt that the carcass made it through the night. We have seen more then enough bears and at least one mountain lion in Clay's area so my assumption is that one of the other predators, if not the birds, in the area got to the carcass and anything left would be unsafe for Clay.

There seem to be some weird hunting and fishing rules in this location so I am assuming Clay wasn't allowed to use his pack. Or maybe Clay was worried about the smell of food and blood in his pack and that attracting bears to his camp so he didn't want to use the pack. There needs to be an explanation for why he didn't use his pack.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, diebartdie said:

Why are the hunting and fishing regulations so strict in this gods forsaken hell hole? (No gill nets?!?!?!?!? That explains all the fish traps)

I'm assuming that the 45 day mark coincides with some particular season out there, and it's not just the local folks fucking with the participants saying "Yeah, we'll let them starve for 6 weeks before we let them put out gill nets".  I wonder if this particular regulation relates to the salmon migration that apparently is no more. 

• Useful 2

At this rate, I wonder if anyone will even make it to the 45 day mark? Just because Clay managed to kill a deer does not mean he will be able to KEEP all that meat, the "grizzle bears" (hat tip Biko) will destroy anything between them and whatever the heck they want, especially meat.

• Love 2

Maybe it's the longer length and they have more minutes to fill, or just that with all the restrictions they can't do much but fish, but there seems to be much more emo musing going on and it's rather.... boring.

Please no more talk of missing family.  I think maybe they've just realized that they were set up to fail and the fishing and hunting situation is pretty hopeless.  No snares (who knew squirrels were an endanger species), no nets.  Are the ducks and gulls protected too?  They aren't being allowed to do any interesting stuff.  

• Love 12

It does seem like this location is designed to starve them out. No salmon, no easy shellfish, and restrictions on hunting just about anything. I bet we'll find out that that Clay couldn't use his pack because of some local regulation against it.

What was Colt thinking with his berry stash? Just leave them sitting there for a bear to find? But then again, it seemed the bear didn't eat all of them. Why would it leave any behind?

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Tango64 said:

I bet we'll find out that that Clay couldn't use his pack because of some local regulation against it.

It just hit me, he could have whipped up a little sled to move the meat.  I'm sure it would come in handy elsewhere too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I'm in awe of the skills of these people. It's like they can make anything out of a few twigs and some string. 

Watching Colter I said he reminded me of Randy Quaid. Mr. M said he reminded him of a muppet. 😁 But I agree that his fish trap was a thing of beauty. Watching him row it out in the freezing water in his homemade boat gave me a stomachache from stress, but I can picture him actually catching something.

9 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

Theresa’s shelter looks great but I am wondering what she has been doing for food. Rose’s shelter looks better but still not great.

I feel like we've barely seen the women. Theresa's wonky accent is incredibly distracting to me but she looks fit and healthy. But I also wondered what she and Rose are eating. 

Everyone remains very brave about the bears. I admire all of them for that, and for not giving up after almost a month with virtually no protein. And I agree that this season seems designed to see who can starve the longest. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Melina22 said:

I feel like we've barely seen the women. Theresa's wonky accent is incredibly distracting to me but she looks fit and healthy. But I also wondered what she and Rose are eating. 

Everyone remains very brave about the bears. I admire all of them for that, and for not giving up after almost a month with virtually no protein. And I agree that this season seems designed to see who can starve the longest. 

We have seen more of Rose then Theresa. What we have seen of Theresa has been cool, I love her shelter and how different it is. Rose has been shown doing some gathering but we have not seen her build her shelter, which seems to be the most minimal of the shelters we have seen. Rose’s story has been kind of on repeat, the divorce and her store, but that is it. Theresa has an interesting background and I think we have heard more about her past. we know about her field of study, how she learned to build the pit house, her hybrid upbringing in the States and UK, and now the OCD bit. 

Theresa hasn’t been shown hunting or fishing or anything but she has to have been eating something. She seems to have an ok amount of energy and isn’t talking about food as much as others. We haven't seen success but we havn’t seen failure either, with Rose we have seen failure. 

I am hoping that the bits of Theresa that we have seen point to a longer stay with her survivability being a bit of a surprise simply because we have not had the obvious signs of her finding food that we have with Clay. I am glad to see Rose surviving a good amount of time, if only because I like to see the women do well. 

Clay looks like he is out front but Biko and Theresa strike me as dark horse contenders. We have enough background that they are interesting but not so much story that I expect a possible tap sooner rather then later. Rose and Clayton (I think) have more of a good amount of struggle storyline that I suspect taps soon. Clay could be in more trouble then we think because the deer looks like he is well positioned but there has also been a lot of reflection and mentions of family. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, ProfCrash said:

Clay could be in more trouble then we think because the deer looks like he is well positioned but there has also been a lot of reflection and mentions of family. 

Also they've made the point in the past that deer meat has very little fat, which is what you need. 

It's true that each episode, the show seems to focus more on people who are about to tap, so maybe Theresa will do well. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Recorded the episode so I haven’t watched it yet. I just read this so I thought I would post the link 😬

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57763443

Very scary.

Colter has the boat, why is he spending all his time collecting berries and onions instead of fishing?  I guess he's using that resource until it's gone?  But then wouldn't the lake be freezing up?

Theresa's pit house looks amazing, but they haven't focused on her food situation much.  She doesn't look to be deteriorating though.  Not sure what's she's eating exactly.

I'm sure I could eat fish eyes if I was hungry enough.  Note to self:  Do not eat squirrel poop.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I thought the chyron said 50 pounds of meat?  Which I still thought wasn't enough for that animal.  And Biko can afford to lose more weight.  If it comes down to it, he could win by starvation alone.

10 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

I believe that Roland had his pack with him when he was hunting and brought home a ton the first trip. I think he made a second trip as well. then he went back the following day and was lucky that the carcass was still there and it was cold enough that the meat was safe.

There seem to be some weird hunting and fishing rules in this location so I am assuming Clay wasn't allowed to use his pack. Or maybe Clay was worried about the smell of food and blood in his pack and that attracting bears to his camp so he didn't want to use the pack. There needs to be an explanation for why he didn't use his pack.

8 hours ago, PaperTree said:

It just hit me, he could have whipped up a little sled to move the meat.  I'm sure it would come in handy elsewhere too.

Didn't Roland rig up a travois of sorts to drag his meat back?

The hunting/fishing rules this season seem designed to get them the hell out of there.  No squirrels, so no traps or snares to even get other rodents or rabbits.  No gill nets until day 45?  by that time, if anyone's left, they won't have the strength to make one.  Hopefully they've already started on it.

8 hours ago, Tango64 said:

It does seem like this location is designed to starve them out. No salmon, no easy shellfish, and restrictions on hunting just about anything. I bet we'll find out that that Clay couldn't use his pack because of some local regulation against it.

What was Colt thinking with his berry stash? Just leave them sitting there for a bear to find? But then again, it seemed the bear didn't eat all of them. Why would it leave any behind?

Totally agree.  I don't think they want someone staying more than a couple months.  Maybe because they already did the $1M/100 day  challenge that they probably didn't think anyone would win.

I said to Mr. Max that it was stupid of Colton to keep his berries like that.  Not only a bear, but any old critter could just come by and eat them.

I really liked Clay's smoke house.  Reminded me of Roland's cache for his big game from last season.  Nate was smart to tap, but it seemed like in the after tap chat, he was blaming his illness on his weight loss and not drinking squirrel poop.  

• Love 4

They always talk about how developed the bears' sense of smell is.  How they can smell a cricket fart three miles away or whatever.  With that in mind, it's amazing that Clay can kill that deer, gut it, haul meat two and a half miles, and go back for more of it, without a bear being all over it almost immediately.  I always think this every time someone kills big game on this show.

Not sure what the best way to safely store cranberries would be.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I swear the chyrons said it was 50 pounds of meat from the deer and Biko had lost 30 pounds so far. I might be wrong on Biko, but it was definitely 50 pounds of meat.

Glad Theresa got the smoke issue sorted (mostly). I'm curious to know how it works in the cold of winter when that ground will be frozen solid.

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, RunningMarket said:

I swear the chyrons said it was 50 pounds of meat from the deer and Biko had lost 30 pounds so far. I might be wrong on Biko, but it was definitely 50 pounds of meat.

Glad Theresa got the smoke issue sorted (mostly). I'm curious to know how it works in the cold of winter when that ground will be frozen solid.

I thought it was 30 pounds of meat and am fairly certain Biko had lost 50 pounds.

I'm rooting for Theresa!!!!  She's the first one I've ever seen curled up in bed without multiple layers of clothing visible.  According to my vast research (aka 2 minutes on Google), the pit houses stay cooler in hot temperatures and warmer in cold temperatures than the outside air.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, ProfCrash said:

We have seen more of Rose then Theresa.

Do you think so?  Because I'd have said we've seen 2-3 times more Theresa than Rose.  In fact, I was going to post earlier that Rose must either be doing nothing, not filming anything, or otherwise be really boring because we're not seeing anything of her.  Her story this episode was the most I've heard from her that I can remember.  Her shelter looks incredibly inadequate, both from the weather and from predators.  

I've just re-watched the episode to verify the numbers, and I do need to make a correction:  Clay did get 50 lbs of meat from the deer, not 30.  But I was right on Biko, it says he lost 50 lbs since day 1. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

I was thinking that we have seen Rose in 4 episodes and Theresa in 3. Theresa’s overall screen time might be more then Rose’s though. I could be wrong. Rose has told her story twice now and the only thing that she seems to have done is build a fish trap and build her shelter but the shelter build was so uninspiring that we didn’t even see that. 

I have been ready for Rose to go since the first episode and her comments about big game hunting. She is doing better then I thought that she would and outlasted far more people then I thought that she would.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, AZChristian said:

I'm rooting for Theresa!!!!  She's the first one I've ever seen curled up in bed without multiple layers of clothing visible.  According to my vast research (aka 2 minutes on Google), the pit houses stay cooler in hot temperatures and warmer in cold temperatures than the outside air.  

I forgot to remark on this in my earlier post.  She was actually naked in her sleeping bag!  Must be pretty damn warm in that pit house.

I do remember, tho, when we had our fancy-ass sleeping bags for camping, they recommended sleeping without clothing for the best thermal protection.  Screw that, I wasn't going to be naked in the woods if a bear came by, looking for a snack and finding an eclair named MadMax.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, madmax said:

I do remember, tho, when we had our fancy-ass sleeping bags for camping, they recommended sleeping without clothing for the best thermal protection.  Screw that, I wasn't going to be naked in the woods if a bear came by, looking for a snack and finding an eclair named MadMax.

Count me out too.  Don't want to have to run out into the snowy wilderness naked and end up like those poor hikers from Dyatlov Pass.

• Love 8

Colton reminds me of Bert from Big Bang Theory.

I agree this environment seems designed for failure, but maybe that's the point? The intros keep bragging about this being the toughest environment yet, like they deliberately sought out some place where it would be next to impossible to get food. Maybe they think that's the whole point, to see how long these survival experts can stay somewhere with such limited food sources. Maybe next season they'll just drop them off on a barren volcano. 

I'm glad we're down to five and they can include everyone in the same episode now. I think this is about the first episode where I knew who was who. There were too many similar male contestants this season.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing.  He even sounds and acts like him.  Now I can't get the image of Bert on "Alone" out of my mind.

I don't know why but I'm not completely buying Nate's squirrel poop reason for his tap out.  There was something a little suspicious about how he first started talking about missing his family, then went on about being in it for the long haul and not giving up, then suddenly before he even felt bad "realized" that there might have been some squirrel poop in his water, and said he would wait to see if he started to feel bad, then of course as if on cue, he suddenly feels bad and starts to throw up.  Now, the timeline there doesn't really add up for me.  Why would he suddenly realize that there might have been squirrel poop in his water before he even felt bad?  Wouldn't that be something you'd only put together after having some symptoms or before you even drank it?  Somehow I'm not buying that.  That whole thing felt so contrived to me.

I have a sneaking suspicion that he was looking for a way to tap out without admitting the real reason, perhaps not to piss off his wife or look (in his mind) weak or a hypocrite.  Maybe pre-season he talked a lot about never giving up and didn't want to look to himself or his family like a wussie, so he made the reason about getting sick, because it was something that was not "his fault".  The fact that later in his interview he seemed to be blaming his weight loss was another thing that didn't completely add up for me.  Perhaps his wife didn't want him to be one of those that tapped out because he missed his family so he didn't want to admit that was the reason.  Or he didn't want to make his family feel responsible in some way for not wanting to continue.  I realize a lot of people might not agree with me, but I'm just a suspicious person by nature.

Right now Clay is my new favorite.  Not just because of the deer, but because he's studied Stoicism.  I studied Philosophy as an undergrad. so that impressed me!  It doesn't hurt that he's good looking, either.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I realize a lot of people might not agree with me, but I'm just a suspicious person by nature.

What's funny is that I tend to be suspicious as well, but I completely bought into what Nate was saying. 

The water he was drinking was rainwater, so it hadn't been boiled.  And - as the chryon pointed out - squirrel poo can contain salmonella (which causes nausea, chills and fever).  After the nausea started, Nate commented that he had the shakes.  Had I been out there and developing new symptoms, I'd have called for the boat before sundown, too.  He was already weak from hunger, the predators are more active at night, and he seemed to feel like his safety was at risk.

He commented that he had a line he wouldn't cross for the show regarding endangering his health . . . and the vomiting and chills put him over the line.  I respected him for that, and for not going on a tirade about how people shouldn't judge him.

• Love 9
51 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Maybe they think that's the whole point, to see how long these survival experts can stay somewhere with such limited food sources.

TPTB have always stacked the deck against the participants, presumably because they wanted the drama of a struggle and also didn't want a season that never ended.  That's one of the reasons that every year the show starts right at the cusp of winter when food sources are getting scarce. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

What's funny is that I tend to be suspicious as well, but I completely bought into what Nate was saying. 

The water he was drinking was rainwater, so it hadn't been boiled.  And - as the chryon pointed out - squirrel poo can contain salmonella (which causes nausea, chills and fever).  After the nausea started, Nate commented that he had the shakes.  Had I been out there and developing new symptoms, I'd have called for the boat before sundown, too.  He was already weak from hunger, the predators are more active at night, and he seemed to feel like his safety was at risk.

He commented that he had a line he wouldn't cross for the show regarding endangering his health . . . and the vomiting and chills put him over the line.  I respected him for that, and for not going on a tirade about how people shouldn't judge him.

I admire you for your belief in him, but the rest of that could have just been acting.  I don't even think it was great acting, either.  I've had food and salmonella poisoning before and he was just a little too controlled, too philosophical and didn't strike me as disappointed enough when he was calling it quits.  And I agree with @LittleIggy that as soon as they start whining about missing their family it's only a matter of time.  I was actually surprised that he didn't use that reason for the tap out.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I agree this environment seems designed for failure, but maybe that's the point? The intros keep bragging about this being the toughest environment yet, like they deliberately sought out some place where it would be next to impossible to get food. 

At this point they might as well just lock them in a closet with no food, and the last person who knocks and asks to be let out is the winner.

It might be interesting to run a long term version of Alone, while they do the other seasons.  Drop them in places that are actually survivable, at a time when they can actually prepare for winter, and see who wins.  I guess the problem with that is people might be out there indefinitely, or permanently.

6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing.  He even sounds and acts like him.  Now I can't get the image of Bert on "Alone" out of my mind.

Probably smells like him too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

It might be interesting to run a long term version of Alone, while they do the other seasons.  Drop them in places that are actually survivable, at a time when they can actually prepare for winter, and see who wins

I was thinking about this earlier today, but as you said, some of them could be there for months or years. You can't make a show out of that. 

9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I thought Randy Quaid but Bert is way more accurate right down to the voice. I can picture him winning. He seems extremely self-sufficient and he may actually catch fish with his trap and boat. 

I'm a little suspicious of Nate, too. Food poisoning vomiting is usually more violent and frequent. And often comes out both ends. I only saw him spit a couple times without any real heaving or expulsion. (And OMG, it's come to me judging people's vomiting, like I'm Simon fucking Cowell or something! : D) Anyway, he was getting SKINNY, and I do think losing that big fish really crushed his spirits.

I'm also suspicious of Theresa. (I need to see a therapist about my suspicious nature!) Her accent is there during the voice overs, but when it's real time audio from footage of something she's doing, it is barely detectable.

Bilko's lost 50 pounds and I still can't tell! I'm looking forward to next season... ALONE: Obesity Crisis  

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

This week was even worse. I know they’re going to starve somewhat but this season is more like just fast till you can’t last. Just my 3rd season and I don’t know much about being a survivalist but the restrictions are so harsh this time, adding to the misery. No trapping, no fish nets, hardly any food at all, salmon mostly gone, etc. Plus bears everywhere. Their shelters all look crappy like they won’t take the snow but I’m spoiled by Rock House. There doesn’t even seem to be trails, just rocks and huge downed logs all over. As many people said, the show must want it cut short because this isn’t showing survival skills to me more like starve, suffer and tap in one of the worst places we could find. I can imagine that the mental aspect of being a great survivalist and being in this place would mess with your head even more that you just can barely survive and maybe catch a 5 inch fish in three weeks. 

• Love 7
On 7/10/2021 at 1:41 AM, rmontro said:

Count me out too.  Don't want to have to run out into the snowy wilderness naked and end up like those poor hikers from Dyatlov Pass.

Excellent and relevant historical reference!  (I think running outside in a near naked panic explains most of what happened there.)

6 hours ago, TVbitch said:

I'm a little suspicious of Nate, too. Food poisoning vomiting is usually more violent and frequent. And often comes out both ends. I only saw him spit a couple times without any real heaving or expulsion. (And OMG, it's come to me judging people's vomiting, like I'm Simon fucking Cowell or something! : D) Anyway, he was getting SKINNY, and I do think losing that big fish really crushed his spirits.

You can't fault the guy for not vomiting when he's been starving for 3 weeks.   That being said, I'm still suspicious of the squirrel poop incident because he looked awfully good for someone who potentially had salmonella poisoning 4 days later when he was interviewed and it didn't even rate a single mention. 

6 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Bilko's lost 50 pounds and I still can't tell! I'm looking forward to next season... ALONE: Obesity Crisis  

Or Alone: My 600 lb Life version. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 7/10/2021 at 11:38 AM, Yeah No said:

I don't know why but I'm not completely buying Nate's squirrel poop reason for his tap out. 

I with you on this one.

9 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Food poisoning vomiting is usually more violent and frequent.

So true.  Even when you've thrown up everything on your stomach, the waves of nausea and throwing up bile can be pretty intense.  Last time that happened to me, I was hugging the trash can while the muscles in my legs went into spasms from the dehydration.  He looked a little too good to have contracted salmonella.  

You usually know when someone is going to tap out on this show.  They'll say something like "wild horses couldn't drag me out of here," then 2 minutes later it's "Um, base camp.  I'm done." 

I liked Biko's to-do list.  Maybe he made that so if he becomes weak and delirious from lack of food, he'll at least remember the important stuff he should be doing!   

• Love 6
On 7/9/2021 at 11:52 PM, madmax said:

She was actually naked in her sleeping bag!

Yes and looking pretty darn hot, I think I have a girl crush!!

They must have some really good food at the base camp because Nate's face had pretty much filled back in by his 4 day post interview. 

If I was Clay I wouldn't have wanted to get deer meat smell all over my pack. I wouldn't want it on my clothes either, I would have butchered that deer naked.

I think Theresa talked early on about knowing a lot about what plants to eat so she is prob eating berries, onions and mushrooms.

I read the news story today about the grizzly attack in Montana, YIKES!!

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, ChitChat said:
12 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Food poisoning vomiting is usually more violent and frequent.

So true.  Even when you've thrown up everything on your stomach, the waves of nausea and throwing up bile can be pretty intense.  Last time that happened to me, I was hugging the trash can while the muscles in my legs went into spasms from the dehydration.  He looked a little too good to have contracted salmonella.  

Yes, that was another thing - he looked too good.  Having been there, even on an empty stomach you can get the "dry heaves".  That is just as bad or worse.  Not to be too graphic but it takes even more out of you because your body digs even deeper to get up every ounce of liquid it can even if it's just mucus.  By the time you're done you're so dehydrated you're as white as a ghost and unable to function.

Maybe his stomach felt a little off and adding that up with all the emotional reasons he exaggerated a little.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Maybe his stomach felt a little off and adding that up with all the emotional reasons he exaggerated a little.

He's a man.  Exaggeration would definitely be a possibility!   Seriously though, he made it a lot longer than I could, so kudos for that.  

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Blackie said:

I read the news story today about the grizzly attack in Montana, YIKES!!

Part of me wants to Google it. The other part is reminding me that I still haven't recovered from watching Grizzly Man. I think Part 2 is the one to listen to. 

• Love 1

Has it been discussed on any thread about the items you're allowed to bring? I'm wondering if they can bring a bow/arrows why they can't bring a rod & reel? Yes you can make those but can't you also make a bow? The arrows might be an issue but I don't know maybe you could make those too. I love watching the show and like the others have mentioned, I don't like the starvation part, I like to see them build sustainable shelters, like to see them catching their food. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

Has it been discussed on any thread about the items you're allowed to bring? I'm wondering if they can bring a bow/arrows why they can't bring a rod & reel? 

Here's the gear list from which they can choose their 10 items.

Specifically prohibited (among other things) are:

• Professional fishing rods
  • Fishing lures, flies, bait kits
  • Fishing traps

They don't want these people to stay out there forever.  LOL.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

Sigh.  I wanted Nate to win.  And while I do think that he really was sick, I don't know how much of that was literally from the squirrel poop, or how much of that was the thought of the squirrel poop messing with his head making him sick, thus giving a legit reason for tapping out.  I'm not sure we can make any assumptions based on him not being violently ill and still looking like death warmed over for his exit interview to say that he wasn't really, really sick.  Just looking at his background, and naturally low emoting personality, Nate is conditioned to be stoic and not appear weak.  What we saw might be what Nate looks like when he's extremely ill.  Or it might be that he wasn't as sick as all that, but still was at the end of his game.

Either way, he's gone and I'm disappointed.

Also--in other news--Biko is growing on me.  Slowly, and reluctantly, like mold.

• Love 4