Type keyword(s) to search

The Tomorrow War (2021)

letter8358
  • Start Topic

Some of it was stupid beyond stupid. You are drafted and by plan are going to  combat in a week in your civilian clothes with here is a weapon aim for here basic training.  They weren't even going to show what an alien looked like.

And then for time travelers only one guy can imagine the ideal that we can prepare the weapon for the future. And of course the Starship Troopers solution of using ineffective bullets when humanity have thought of many other ways to kill things and they even showed that flame works

• Love 4

I don't understand why they wasn't a constant flow of information, samples and technology, back and forth from the future and the present. The focus should have been trying to eradicate the monsters in the past, even if it was just having "the present" designing more effective weapons, scientists studying the creatures, and everybody learning basic military tactics. 

If they monsters were constantly breeding, it is weird there were no baby ones.

• Love 5

30 years into the future and the best that the military minds can come up with is draft doomed civilians from the past to act as cannon fodder to buy time for the eggheads to come up with an alien-killing poison? That's galaxy-brain stupid.

This is what happens when not-smart people try to think like actually smart people. Complex doesn't necessarily mean smart.

And this was a waste of Betty Gilpin.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

don't understand why they wasn't a constant flow of information, samples and technology, back and forth from the future and the present.

That's what I expected going in with the cold opening. Especially the stuff about Dan not getting the job and feeling unsatisfied with his life. I figured he'd end up being the key scientist to save the future.  I actually liked that they twisted it and didn't go that way. I also liked that it didn't end the way I expected, that they weren't aliens but, human creations or even humans and, the future people lied.

There are certainly flaws in the movie but, the irony is the flaws are what I liked because they tried something different and didn't follow the expected sci-fi path.

9 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

30 years into the future and the best that the military minds can come up with is draft doomed civilians from the past to act as cannon fodder to buy time for the eggheads to come up with an alien-killing poison? That's galaxy-brain stupid.

I think it was their hail mary. Honestly I'm surprised no one went with the Nuke option early on. 

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I also liked that it didn't end the way I expected, that they weren't aliens but, human creations or even humans and, the future people lied.

I thought they were aliens? I thought they had crash landed over 1000 years ago which is why there was no indication by satellite imagery of when they arrived in the future ("Suddenly they were just here.")...climate change caused the glacier they were frozen in to thaw them out in 2048 or whenever. One of the characters said something like 'who knows if Earth was even their destination.'

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

This movie seemed allergic to having more than one speaking woman in a scene, unless of course it was the nameless ones taking care of the soldiers. And they all died, except for the wife character of course. 

Chris Pratt only knows how to be Chris Pratt, eh? His snarky comments/jokes were so out of place. 

If blowing up the ship ultimately worked, why not just do that from the start? Oh right, still had a few more characters to kill off and daddy issues to resolve. 

I'm glad Richard Splet is getting work though.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, weightyghost said:

This movie seemed allergic to having more than one speaking woman in a scene, unless of course it was the nameless ones taking care of the soldiers. And they all died, except for the wife character of course. 

Chris Pratt only knows how to be Chris Pratt, eh? His snarky comments/jokes were so out of place. 

If blowing up the ship ultimately worked, why not just do that from the start? Oh right, still had a few more characters to kill off and daddy issues to resolve. 

They were hard to kill aliens, even a head shot would not work you, had to saw it off at the neck with a full clip of bullets.  Blowing up the ship was just a back up to the known toxin. And of course if Amazon has big enough pockets a female will survive the explosion  and will be hunted in a sequel or TV series based upon the movie.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Lilac2000 said:

I thought they were aliens? I thought they had crash landed over 1000 years ago which is why there was no indication by satellite imagery of when they arrived in the future ("Suddenly they were just here.")...climate change caused the glacier they were frozen in to thaw them out in 2048 or whenever. One of the characters said something like 'who knows if Earth was even their destination.'

Sorry for the confusion. I expected the story to end up with future people coming back saying we need to stop the war before it starts but only you can do it!  Then setup Dan as the ultimate savior but, he finds out that the future evil aren't really aliens but some sort of human army/creation run amuck. Basically, I assumed the time travel kids were going to end up being liars or racist/speciest etc.

I liked that the stoy didn't do that at all. I liked that they were aliens that were here for 1000 years trapped in the ice. I thought that was different. I liked that they were animal level intelligence and the explanation was simply that they were tools sent to clear a planet (didn't even have to be ours).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, weightyghost said:

Well, we all knew Chris was limited to begin with.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, weightyghost said:

Of all the Chrises, his career has baffled me the most. I've been irrationally annoyed by him ever since Everwood. But my family wanted to watch this, and I was outvoted.

Agreed that there was a lot of stupid going on.  This reminded me of another sci-fi/alien/time travelesque film with a dumb name - Edge of Tomorrow.  And yet, I really enjoyed EoT.  Tom Cruise is much better at selling a self-centered character as a protagonist. Emily Blunt was more convincing as a doomed, yet tough badass.  I wasn't the least bit invested in the family stuff. 

Surprisingly, JK Simmons was quite the well-seasoned snack in his brief scenes.    

I would have found this immensely more interesting if Edwin Hodge and Sam Richardson were the leads. 

• Love 2

I thought it was an amusing movie with some decent action sequences. I think Arrival handled the whole idea of getting a glimpse into the future a lot better though. All in all, this movie was a bunch of other sci-fi and action movies put in a blender. The creatures are a little bit Xenomorph with some Predator thrown in. The ship in the ice is a bit of The Thing (I think, haven't actually watched that gory-ass movie) and the pilots were a plot thread that was abandoned just like the Space Jockey in Alien. More Alien franchise with the ship full of these creatures being transported as cargo although I am more partial to the idea that they were actually pets. There were notes of Battle for Los Angeles in there but sadly not the scene where two characters figure out how to kill one of the aliens by doing a live dissection of it and just stabbing various important looking parts until it croaked. I saw hints of Independence Day but not the good parts.

JK Simmons looked amazing as a buff badass! I've never seen him play a role like that before.

The adult daughter apologizing to dad was weird because the actual confrontation they had didn't seem that harsh.

The thing that stood out to me the most was this big party in the US for European Football. I guess Amazon couldn't cut a deal with the NFL. (I know, there are American fans of European sports but clearly that was supposed to be a Superbowl party)

It was nice to see Mary-Lynn Rajskub in this but I was dismayed that she didn't even make it through the first half of the movie. Tell Jack Bauer that the aliens killed Chloe and he'll take it from here.

I was expecting a post-credits sequence to set up a sequel tease. I guess that will be like Alien 3 - there will just be an alien egg somewhere that was somehow missed. Or maybe another ship will come along looking for that overdue delivery of puppies and the aliens will be super pissed when they find out humans blew them up. "They were purebreds and they won best in show at the Betelgeuse Kennel Club Dog Show! How could you?"

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, dwmarch said:

The thing that stood out to me the most was this big party in the US for European Football. I guess Amazon couldn't cut a deal with the NFL. (I know, there are American fans of European sports but clearly that was supposed to be a Superbowl party

I thought it was a Christmas Party and the World Cup was on in the background? Of course that didn't make sense to me because World Cup is usually in the summer (June/July).

ETA: I just Googled and, they had the timeing right, I guess they moved it to November/December because it's in Qatar. They get bonus points for that one. 😂

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I thought it was an amusing movie with some decent action sequences. I think Arrival handled the whole idea of getting a glimpse into the future a lot better though. All in all, this movie was a bunch of other sci-fi and action movies put in a blender. The creatures are a little bit Xenomorph with some Predator thrown in. The ship in the ice is a bit of The Thing (I think, haven't actually watched that gory-ass movie) and the pilots were a plot thread that was abandoned just like the Space Jockey in Alien. More Alien franchise with the ship full of these creatures being transported as cargo although I am more partial to the idea that they were actually pets. There were notes of Battle for Los Angeles in there but sadly not the scene where two characters figure out how to kill one of the aliens by doing a live dissection of it and just stabbing various important looking parts until it croaked. I saw hints of Independence Day but not the good parts.

JK Simmons looked amazing as a buff badass! I've never seen him play a role like that before.

The adult daughter apologizing to dad was weird because the actual confrontation they had didn't seem that harsh.

The thing that stood out to me the most was this big party in the US for European Football. I guess Amazon couldn't cut a deal with the NFL. (I know, there are American fans of European sports but clearly that was supposed to be a Superbowl party)

I think the throat, not the head was to flip up video game warrior "double tap" expectations. The belly just like the Battle: Los Angeles conclusion was just where a Marine was trained to shot from day one.

The World Cup makes sense since future humanity was talking to the world, not just the Americans whose draftee unit we followed into combat.

• Love 1
On 7/3/2021 at 10:01 AM, Lilac2000 said:

Was as bad as I imagined and waste of time to watch.

I would have liked to know where the space ship originated from, who are the aliens that the brought the whitespikes to clear the earth and what happened to them. Oh well.

At least it was a free show unlike Disney+ charging you 30$ for "premium" access.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Or maybe another ship will come along looking for that overdue delivery of puppies and the aliens will be super pissed when they find out humans blew them up. "They were purebreds and they won best in show at the Betelgeuse Kennel Club Dog Show! How could you?"

I might actually watch that one without regret. this one...not so much. I watched this one wondering when it would end but being too lazy to turn it off. Once they put Pratt's shirt back on there was nothing else worth watching it for. I guess the lead soldier being his daughter was touching and I suppose he learned to appreciate the family he has instead of worrying about the job he didn't get, so...happy ending? IDK. The jokes were forced, the family reunion inevitable and the whole thing fairly boring. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I think it was the daughter's thing, and since the party was a pretty much all adult affair, they plopped the kid in a chair in front of the TV and let her choose. The dad was supposed to watch it with her.

Was the party planned to watch the TV, then they should have brought more chairs. They only had enough for the immediate family.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm confused by Pratt can only play Starlord type comments. He's not Starlord in this at all. He's in no way the comic relief and he's barely quippy. He's more like his Jurrasic World character in this. I thought he handled it well.

Sometimes I just want to have dumb fun with movie. That's what it gave me.

I've realized by now that I don't spend as much time nitpicking things I watch as others do though. Nothing wrong with that. There are plenty of flaws here.

I laughed, there were some really well done set pieces, really good visuals, tense moments and I did by into the father/daughter elements.

Edited by Racj82
  • Love 5
(edited)

It was mostly mindless 'fun'.  But a kind of dumb fun.

On 7/2/2021 at 10:04 AM, Raja said:

Some of it was stupid beyond stupid. You are drafted and by plan are going to  combat in a week in your civilian clothes with here is a weapon aim for here basic training. 

But .. Dan (Chris Pratt) did not save the future - - he and his daughter merely created an alternate timeline.  The unhappy, MIT scientist daughter lived with another version of Dan - a Dan who was never drafted into a future war. 
In the original timeline, it looks as if humanity was wiped out - because no one really cared about getting the time travel machine back up and running in order to get the alien pesticide to the future people. 
The writers also didn't seem to bother addressing what would happen to the people from the future who are now trapped in the past.  They were young, so as to avoid meeting their younger selves, who had not yet been born.  But now, their younger selves will be born ... or will they? ...  their parents may have been killed when sent to the future.  It's a time travelling headache..

So, a few things: 

• Shouldn't the future people share the time travel technology with the past people? And all other future knowledge that would help the past people be ready when the alien monsters eventually appeared?
  • Instead of  a military draft of not-combat-ready civilians for cannon fodder , why didn't the future scientists send out teams to find the origin of the aliens?
  • How did the future people manage to create/discover time travel when the Earth was being decimated?
  • At the end, when Dan's small group was about to enter the alien ship in the frozen tundra, they debated whether to go into the ship to kill the aliens or report their findings.  Wouldn't the smart decision be to send two people back to report their findings - - in case they  were killed by the aliens  in the ship?
  • The future 'scientists' were afraid of sharing too much information - and avoiding the time paradox of a person meeting their older/younger self - -  but why worry about any of that if humanity is about to be wiped off the face of the Earth?!
Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

The unhappy, MIT scientist daughter lived with another version of Dan - a Dan who was never drafted into a future war. 

I may be overthinking this (which I realllllly should not think too hard about this silliness) but I think Dan will always have been drafted into the war and gone to the future...him bringing the toxin back and finding the crashed ship is what changed the timeline. Now he will never have left his family due to being unhappy, been killed and the aliens will never attack but they will always have the knowledge that could have happened. I think. He says in the voiceover at the end that he never told Muri about what happened to her/ them in the future but he would have lived both timelines of 2051 or whatever year it was. 

Also, was the sound not great for anyone else? Action scenes seemed super loud but dialogue scenes seemed very quiet.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Lilac2000 said:

Also, was the sound not great for anyone else? Action scenes seemed super loud but dialogue scenes seemed very quiet.

It was like that for me too. I had to keep the remote handy to turn down the volume whenever a battle scene came on or I'd go deaf because I had to turn it up super loud to hear the dialog in the non-battle scenes. I guess it at least kept me paying attention. lol

On 7/3/2021 at 10:17 AM, weightyghost said:

Truer words have never been spoken. Lol. His lack of acting skills and thus “playing” the same character in every movie he’s been in, made this almost unwatchable along with the ridiculous plot. 

I agree with whomever upthread who questioned when the future world have time to built a time machine when everything was in such chaos. And also, instead of drafting world citizens for the war, why not send people back to find the origin of the monsters and subsequently stop the war from starting in the first place. That would’ve made for a better movie I think. 

Could not have cared less about the issues with Chris’ family. When the daughter died in the future I didn’t feel anything, but I did think is this over yet. Perhaps it didn’t help that I didn’t see Muri in Yvonne Strahovski, but Serena Joy Waterford from The Handmaiden’s Tale.

This was unfortunately two hours, I won’t get back. I wanted to give it a thumbs down on Prime, but I didn’t see the option once the movie finished. I wonder why the option wasn’t available on this movie when it’s available on others. 

(edited)

I am so puzzled by some of the sartorial choices from the draftees. One woman in the drop group was not only wearing a suit, she had a tie on.

And Chef Hat. I want to know more about him. My guess is he is a total badass who managed to save the day even after the fall of ocean base. 

Edited by xaxat
  • LOL 2
12 hours ago, xaxat said:

I am so puzzled by some of the sartorial choices from the draftees. One woman in the drop group was not only wearing a suit, she had a tie on.

And Chef Hat. I want to know more about him. My guess is he is a total badass who managed to save the day even after the fall of ocean base. 

I think like Star Trek Into Darkness was written "Have Spock raise his head and yell Khaaaan!" that the entire first act of Tomorrow War was  written with  humanity that stupid with the non trained draftees just to justify that video game picture 

• Love 2

This movie was way too long, could have cut out 20-30 min easily. I like alien fighting/time travel movies but this didn’t do it for me. Just made me want to watch Edge of Tomorrow again.

And having people do the jump and arrive 10 feet above the ground might account why only 30% came back in the first place! Work on closing that gap, scientists!

I’m always happy to see Richard Splett but he was wasted in this role.

(edited)
On 7/2/2021 at 9:30 PM, AnimeMania said:

If they monsters were constantly breeding, it is weird there were no baby ones.

I suppose some of them could have been, but they didn't really show much of their family units. My question was if they eat all the people, then what do they eat next? Or would they just die out? 

I did have a good laugh at the volcano kid coming through. I had pinged earlier when they said that they didn't see any ships, but I was guessing they were some proto earth species. 

I like the not so subtle climate change message. 

Edited by DoctorAtomic
  • Love 2

I do agree with many of the comments about the type of movie it was. But - that's the movie they made. 

Taking the movie universe as it is, though, I was surprised there were no aircraft carriers. I can't imagine they'd be overrun. 

Second, when they did get to the ship, yes, definitely get Charlie to record video and get back to the plane to send it out. 

It wasn't an imminent threat. They had till 2048.

I was calling bs on the aliens being so mindless and being able to fly ships, so that was a nice twist that they explained it

Finally, they didn't recon the whole ship. They could have made more toxin, brought more people in. 

I think the president would have at least sent a covert recon team to Russia. 

Other than that - 

On 7/2/2021 at 8:49 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

Pretty good for a free movie 

I sat out on the porch and watched. It's summer. 

The whole mano a mano with the queen at the end was good though. 

9 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I suppose some of them could have been, but they didn't really show much of their family units. My question was if they eat all the people, then what do they eat next? Or would they just die out? 

I think they showed a scene where the aliens were chasing down and eating some (horses? it was an aerial view, I think from the helicopter).

They're still going to run into the same problem if they eat *everything* + reproducing so fast. You'd think the alien masters/handlers would have some kind of regulation on that. Or, maybe the queen isn't supposed to be released. She got out because no one was there to control them, so just went on reproducing. Now that I'm thinking about it, the alien masters probably didn't let them all out at once either. 

6 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

They're still going to run into the same problem if they eat *everything* + reproducing so fast. You'd think the alien masters/handlers would have some kind of regulation on that. Or, maybe the queen isn't supposed to be released. She got out because no one was there to control them, so just went on reproducing. Now that I'm thinking about it, the alien masters probably didn't let them all out at once either. 

Maybe that's the plan? Send these things to a planet to destroy/eat all the living animals/people and, then once there's no food left they either starve or eat each other? Then once the creatures are all dead Alien Masters show up with an empty planet to colonize.  

It could work.

Or maybe they're critters and they escaped a lab 😂

I don't think they escaped a lab. When they found the crashed ship in Russia, the whitespikes were suspended in pods. So the alien masters were taking them somewhere. It looked organized. From what I got, in 2048, when enough ice melted, it was warm enough that they woke up, likely hungry, and got out, but with no alien masters they went all out with no control - and then we had the movie. 

It would seem short sighted on the alien masters to let them out to clear a planet and then they essentially destroy each other. That would be like renting goats to clear out overgrowth and then killing them all when you're done instead of collecting them to clear another field. 

I'm going with there's some controls that the alien masters use with the queen to send the 'drones' out and recall them. Plus, they have her to reproduce when needed. I don't think she's supposed to leave the ship. They were all just too mindless in the movie to not have some control over them if their function is to clear out planets. 

I though this was good, but I'm a sucker for alien invasion movies. This movie recycled a lot of used plots from other movies but it was still interesting and the Whitespikes were a formidable enough enemy that the movie held my attention. 

I like Chris Pratt and think its great that he has come so far. He was so great on Parks and Rec. He's not hard to look at and he's incredibly charismatic, it is too bad that he seems to be stuck in this niche acting wise. 

A few questions though - 

- Did they ever find out what happened that caused the jump to go wrong? That was the most horrible thing to watch, all of those people dying on impact and never even getting a chance to survive. Yikes!

- If Arthur was ex military why did it take him so long to get drafted? I admit I don't know anything about how the draft actually works but wouldn't they want people with experience before taking just random folks? This does make me understand the whole not showing them the enemy bit though (as ridiculous as that was). I can imagine them having a lot more issues with people complying to the draft if they knew just how deadly the enemy they were going to fight really was. 

- Was it just me or did they imply that his "accident" when he was scheduled to die in his timeline was not just an "accident"? 

The government must have been majorly in debt if they were losing so many people in this war but offering their dependents $1 million pretax. Once the aliens were defeated that was going to be an interesting situation. 

The most annoying part of the movie for me was the group coming back and figuring out how to stop the aliens and performing the task themselves without the government doing anything about it. I know the world was in disarray but come on....so they didn't have a huge elite group of people working on solutions in the present time....had they drafted all of them. A high school kid figures out, in a matter of mins, where and when the aliens probably showed up.....and the government still hadn't figured that out. Thats just the laziest of lazy writing. 

I'm going to fanwank that last part. The only reason the high school kid got involved was because the cancer guy was the only person who actually collected a spike from killing one of them. Richard analyzed it and came up with the ash from China, leading to the volcano kid. 

It's thin, but fair within the context of the show. 

I agree that it's ridiculous that you wouldn't have some sort of NSA time travel team in the present day trying to undo the war, as Muri was trying to do in the future. 

I suppose you could argue that it would be hard to coordinate internationally with all the chaos, but no way none of the major superpowers didn't have teams on that. 

To me the most believable thing about the movie was the fact that humans and their leadership were too stupid to take action and work on preventing a threat and instead they waited until the threat showed up to start fighting it. Of course the most frustrating as well but believable.

Overall I found the movie dumb but entertaining. I actually didn't mind the length or the third act. Chris Pratt was underwhelming but Richard Splett and JK Simmons were nice additions. I liked the Whitespikes too.

I also enjoyed this movie. It kept me entertained during a flight and I enjoyed it enough that I'll watch it again on a TV. 

On 7/2/2021 at 10:49 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

I liked it. Good characters, good relationships, good action. I liked that it was a different tale on Alien Invasions and then travel. 

Pretty good for a free movie 

I really liked that the World Cup "invasion" was humans from the future instead of aliens. I knew whatever they were fighting was going to be in the future but at that moment I was expecting aliens and not people from the future.

22 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Maybe that's the plan? Send these things to a planet to destroy/eat all the living animals/people and, then once there's no food left they either starve or eat each other? Then once the creatures are all dead Alien Masters show up with an empty planet to colonize.  

They reminded me of the aliens from Independence Day, on a mission to annihilate planets.

14 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

It was kind of dumb that they all just whomped down in the middle of the World Cup though. You'd think they would contact the UN. 

I fully support the use of Richard Splett. This is entirely appropriate. 

That falls under the grey aliens never land in the city but in Roswell. Nobody would believe the leaders and when the draft calls started the riots would have started even earlier. Going to one of the most watched global events is about the only thing that wasn't humanity at its most stupid.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, DoctorAtomic said:

It was kind of dumb that they all just whomped down in the middle of the World Cup though. You'd think they would contact the UN. 

I fully support the use of Richard Splett. This is entirely appropriate. 

I'm guessing that was a Muri decision. She was the World Cup fan at the Christmas Party and one of the scientist working on the project. Plus the world cup is watched by Billions around the World. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I really liked this.  Time travel movies/shows always creates a lot of paradoxes, and it seems each movie/show has its own rules.  When Dan travelled back to 2022 and successfully killed all the aliens, does that change the future?  Or does it create an alternate timeline?  Is there still going to be a scenario in which Muri dies in 2048?

It hurts my head to try and work out all the permutations, but I would say that when he came back to the present and brought back the green stuff that would kill the aliens, and then successfully killed the aliens, that means the aliens never ran amok in 2048.  So that timeline where she dies never happens.

Along the same lines, we are told that Dan dies in 2029.  Muri says he died in a car crash.  He comes back from the future and realises how much he loves his family, and vows to never leave them.  So does that mean he changes his future, and now the car crash never happens?  I would assume he won't die in 7 years now.

Dan now knows exactly when the Miami Dolphins will win the Superbowl again.  Will that create a Grey's Sports Almanac scenario?

On 7/12/2021 at 7:50 PM, nomodrama said:

- Did they ever find out what happened that caused the jump to go wrong? That was the most horrible thing to watch, all of those people dying on impact and never even getting a chance to survive. Yikes!

As they jumped, someone said there was an issue and then they jumped anyways.  I agree it was horrible to watch people falling out of the sky like that and dying.  Anyone who is old enough to vividly remember 9/11, for one.  For storyline purposes, I think it's so that Dan's squad was limited to a small band of people, so the movie wouldn't have to explain why hundreds of people had a hard time getting the job done... they needed to kill off most of them but for a group of 15 or so survivors.  

• Love 1

I don't know about limiting the human bait to make their task impossible it seemed to be done to limit the number of extras on screen and have a unit small enough for the First Sergeant to speak to in person 

(edited)

I would figure that if they're going with a sequel, they're going to mess around with time travel questions. It doesn't look like they're going with a closed time loop a la Terminator, so there's still a future where the whitespikes have overrun the planet. The queen may or may not have died when Dan jumped too. Similarly Muri. We only saw them plunge into the water. If the queen isn't dead in the future though, that's going to be a tough road for them.

It could be that there's a backup time machine somewhere in like Antarctica or something too. 

29 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Along the same lines, we are told that Dan dies in 2029.  Muri says he died in a car crash.  He comes back from the future and realises how much he loves his family, and vows to never leave them.  So does that mean he changes his future, and now the car crash never happens?  I would assume he won't die in 7 years now.

The car crash was subsequent on him leaving the family as well. I think it's safe to assume none of that happens. That implies multiple time lines to me. Since they made a point to say it was a car crash, it's an avoidable event, not like the guy who has cancer, for example. 

Muri never confirmed or denied that the Dolphins won the Superbowl.

Edited by DoctorAtomic
5 hours ago, blackwing said:

As they jumped, someone said there was an issue and then they jumped anyways.  

It sounded like the issue was discovered near the end of the jump group.

5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

The queen may or may not have died when Dan jumped too. Similarly Muri. We only saw them plunge into the water. If the queen isn't dead in the future though, that's going to be a tough road for them.

The water was full of White Spikes and I can't imagine Muri surviving if timeline completes and doesn't disappear. Interesting point about the queen surviving though. Humanity would be gone by the time the present reaches the future.

5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

It could be that there's a backup time machine somewhere in like Antarctica or something too. 

The jump machine could be powered by ZPMs and this whole series can be a backdoor pilot to a new Stargate franchise!