Type keyword(s) to search

Swimming, Diving, Water Polo - Live from the Aquatics Centre!

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, ferjy said:

Did he compete in women's diving?  😛

No, smartypants, but you did say that no one would "ever" break the Chinese domination. You didn't specify that you were talking about the women's competition! 😜

• LOL 1

China beautiful as usual. Let's see if we can hold that second spot. Won't even bother anticipating first.

14 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

No, smartypants, but you did say that no one would "ever" break the Chinese domination. You didn't specify that you were talking about the women's competition! 😜

lol It's what I meant by "that" category...women's. I knew what I meant. 😄

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Why do the divers get out of the pool and immediately go to the little showers? 

The pool is very cold and they want to keep their muscles warm.

The Canadian women's swim team is going strong despite Taylor Ruck's unfortunate health problems, which I was afraid would doom them.  Thank God that Penny returned to form just in time to be the hero again.

Edited by SeanC
  • Useful 3
(edited)
8 minutes ago, emma675 said:

Why do the divers get out of the pool and immediately go to the little showers? 

I think it's because they go to the hot tub immediately after (helps their muscles? or some therapeutic reason) but they have to shower their grunge off first (i.e. sweat, etc.)

Edited by ferjy
Autocorrupt was being helpful.
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I had forgotten how much I enjoy NBC's diving commentator lady and how much she hates splashes. I didn't forget how much I love Rowdy Gaines who remains delightful as well.

I always like the way she tells us that "this is so-and-so's favorite dive." It always boosts my confidence to know this because it means that barring disaster, it will be a great dive for the diver!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I had forgotten how much I enjoy NBC's diving commentator lady and how much she hates splashes. I didn't forget how much I love Rowdy Gaines who remains delightful as well.

Really.  I've always enjoyed Cynthia Potter.  Shes great at breaking down the dives and explaining it to those who are not very knowledgeable about the sport.  I've learned a lot about the semantics of diving through her.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Rowdy is the best. I’m afraid that they are prepping Michael Phelps to take over that role. Phelps is very nice, but he’s no Rowdy. (Is anyone??)  I hope that Rowdy is calling swimming into his 80’s. 😀😀

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

Rowdy is the best. I’m afraid that they are prepping Michael Phelps to take over that role. Phelps is very nice, but he’s no Rowdy. (Is anyone??)  I hope that Rowdy is calling swimming into his 80’s. 😀😀

LOL that would be nice. 
Rowdy is great. is it just Phelps and Rowdy this year?

6 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

I had the same thought when Phelps was in the booth. Phelps definitely doesn't have Rowdy's polish yet. A three person team doesn't seem unreasonable if they are dead set on having Phelps there. I think he's probably better for other segments and not calling the races, which is where Rowdy shines.

28 minutes ago, Daisy said:

LOL that would be nice. 
Rowdy is great. is it just Phelps and Rowdy this year?

Dan is still there. Phelps just commented on a race or two.

27 minutes ago, Dots And Stripes said:

Dan is still there. Phelps just commented on a race or two.

Phew, good. I really like that combo of Dan and Rowdy. :)

I had to switch CBC off. I'm tired of seeing Oleksiak and Abel & Citrini-Beaulieu. I'm thrilled with the wins, but at this point, I know their life histories better than my own. We only have the two medals, so they're showing them constantly. Over and over. Again and again. And again... Please Canada, win another medal.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, ferjy said:

I had to switch CBC off. I'm tired of seeing Oleksiak and Abel & Citrini-Beaulieu. I'm thrilled with the wins, but at this point, I know their life histories better than my own. We only have the two medals, so they're showing them constantly. Over and over. Again and again. And again... Please Canada, win another medal.

well there's nothing else to show right now so they're probably just showing this until the other events catch up. (but i agree)

2 minutes ago, Daisy said:

well there's nothing else to show right now so they're probably just showing this until the other events catch up. (but i agree)

It's pretty normal. We don't get very many medals in the summer Olympics, the winter games are our forté, so they tend to milk whatever we get. I don't blame them, it just gets a bit much as a viewer.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ferjy said:

It's pretty normal. We don't get very many medals in the summer Olympics, the winter games are our forté, so they tend to milk whatever we get. I don't blame them, it just gets a bit much as a viewer.

no i know. but i mean - right now a lot of the events are just getting started too (for today) - so that's probably why they're still milking yesterday's victories. 

3 minutes ago, Daisy said:

no i know. but i mean - right now a lot of the events are just getting started too (for today) - so that's probably why they're still milking yesterday's victories. 

True. I probably caught them at the wrong moment.

(edited)

Women's 100 m butterfly starting now.  This will be a really interesting one.  My fingers are crossed for Maggie, who's the reigning World champion, but this field is so stacked that she could easily be off the podium entirely here.

EDIT:  Hell yeah!

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 3
(edited)

Woot, Maggie! I'm actually more excited about a new face for the backstories than the gold medal. (I jest, I jest.)

Edited by ferjy
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, ferjy said:

Woot, Maggie! I'm actually more excited about a new face for the backstories than the gold medal. (I jest, I jest.)

hehe 60/40 LOL 
But that was such a great race for Maggie, like she was 4th at the turn, and then she was flittering with that WR time. (apparently according to the caller 3rd best ever time though so that's bananas)

• Love 2

My favourite thing about Maggie is that she's so nearsighted that she can't actually see the scoreboard when she ends a race, so she has no idea how she did until it's either announced or somebody tells her.

• LOL 7
  • Love 4

Byron MacDonald is still enthusiastic but the fire is gone when Steve Armitage isn't beside him just as excited. I miss "Driving To The Wall!!!!!" so much! I think Steve is doing rowing so at least he is back doing something. I don't think his heart could handle swimming anymore. Not sure why he can't do diving though, it's pretty chill.

• Love 1

That was the greatest collection of women's 100M butterfly talent ever assembled in one pool. Going a 56 and only getting 7th is crazy. Congrats to Maggie and the medalists!

On the divers- in their discipline, they want to stay warm so it's easy for their muscles and joints to feel loose and limber. The problem is that a typical competition pool sets the temperature for swimming and not diving and 78F/25C is a pretty cold water temperature if you aren't doing hard aerobic work constantly like the pool swimmers are.

So you end up with assorted ways like the hot tubs and hot showers on deck so the divers can work around the too cold water issue. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
5 minutes ago, Lilac2000 said:

Byron MacDonald is still enthusiastic but the fire is gone when Steve Armitage isn't beside him just as excited. I miss "Driving To The Wall!!!!!" so much! I think Steve is doing rowing so at least he is back doing something. I don't think his heart could handle swimming anymore. Not sure why he can't do diving though, it's pretty chill.

I know. same with speed skating  "DRIVING TO THE LINE!"  I have to say though i love that the Canadian announcers are excited for everyone swimming, not just the Canadians too. Just lots of love and respect for all of them. 

(Lmao. Maggie "I heard my name so I thought i did something well." hahaha). 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, SeanC said:

My favourite thing about Maggie is that she's so nearsighted that she can't actually see the scoreboard when she ends a race, so she has no idea how she did until it's either announced or somebody tells her.

It was funny seeing her squinting then starting to say OMG, hesitating and squinting again. 😄

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, ancslove said:

I love that NBC's spotlight on Ariarne Titmus began with a shot of a kangaroo just chilling in Brisbane.

Now I want to see if Ariane is still going to be around in 2032 when the Games come to Brisbane.

that moment when China and Canada have the same colour swimsuits LOL. 

Man Katie just doing Katie things. 

WOW. Titmus. what a race. 
4th for Summer. good job, Summer. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3