Type keyword(s) to search

The Baking Topic

• Start Topic

I'm back on my diet as of tomorrow (or maybe Saturday) I swear, but I wanted something sweet to finish out the week.  I picked up a Krusteaz Meyer Lemon Bar mix at the store (I love anything lemon), but decided to save it for another time (probably for when everybody gets back to work and feels safe eating a co-workers baked goods).  I realized I had the ingredients for a homemade peach cobbler (except I had to substitute half and half for the milk in the recipe) and I just took it out of the oven.  The house smells like peaches and nutmeg.  I plan to have a serving (or two) as soon as it cools off enough so I can eat some without burning my mouth. Yum!  

• Love 8
14 hours ago, SheriGoddart33 said:

It's my birthday soon, but all the pastry shops are closed and I can’t order a cake. Have to bake myself, I never did that. I'm afraid to burn everything

It'll be OK, even if you have to stick a candle in a pre made cupcake or a Ding Dong.  Happy birthday!

• Love 1

Does molasses go bad?  I have a jar in my cupboard that I can’t find on expiration date on and cannot remember buying.  (It is half empty, so I used it for something.) I also have no idea what it is supposed to taste like, so I can’t tell if it has gone funky.  But, I did just run across an interesting cookie recipe that calls for molasses, so if it is safe to use, I have a plan.

On 5/15/2020 at 11:06 PM, Mittengirl said:

Does molasses go bad?  I have a jar in my cupboard that I can’t find on expiration date on and cannot remember buying.  (It is half empty, so I used it for something.) I also have no idea what it is supposed to taste like, so I can’t tell if it has gone funky.  But, I did just run across an interesting cookie recipe that calls for molasses, so if it is safe to use, I have a plan.

If there's no mold, I say go for it. I found an old bottle of molasses that had been forgotten in the back of the cupboard, other than being super stiff, it was fine. Just had the warm it up so I could actually pour it!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/18/2020 at 4:20 PM, Mittengirl said:

Well, I made cookies with my old molasses on Saturday and I am still alive.

Recipe, please, if you wouldn't mind. I have "molasses amnesia"--I can't remember buying it and keep buying more, so now I have two open jars plus one of dark corn syrup.

GreekGeek, I already deleted the recipe from my iPad.  It was for an oatmeal-raisin spice cookie that just wasn’t very good.  Not bad, but nothing special, either..  I think I will try some hermit bars next.  I want to use up the molasses before I forget about it again.

I suddenly have a hankering for homemade cookies. Here's the thing.  I loathe eggs. Loathe them. So I don't have them in the house, unless I am planning to bake in which case I will buy a dozen and plan to bake and freeze enough goodies to use up the eggs. I don't feel like doing that right now, and I don't want to simply waste the eggs.  I know there are egg-free cookies, but the recipes I am looking at all call for eggs.  So what is the best egg substitute to use for cookies?  I've seen recommendations for applesauce, bananas, flax seed, yogurt..... I assume the biggest issue would be getting the correct texture, so more important than in a cake or sweet bread.  

Any help appreciated. 

• Useful 1
17 minutes ago, Quof said:

So what is the best egg substitute to use for cookies?  I've seen recommendations for applesauce, bananas, flax seed, yogurt.....

I've done applesauce, bananas, and whole milk once. And then I also occasionally use a readymade egg replacer product.

Using fruit tends to keep the cookies more moist -- which may or may not be what you want depending on the type of cookie. Bananas will definitely add banana flavor.

Any particular recipe/type of cookie you want to make? You can probably look up a vegan version (or low-fat?). I know I have a few in my recipe books.

Edited by Trini
  • Useful 1
4 hours ago, Quof said:

I suddenly have a hankering for homemade cookies. Here's the thing.  I loathe eggs. Loathe them. So I don't have them in the house, unless I am planning to bake in which case I will buy a dozen and plan to bake and freeze enough goodies to use up the eggs. I don't feel like doing that right now, and I don't want to simply waste the eggs. 

Don’t freeze the goodies, freeze the eggs!  They’ll last up to a year.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-freeze-eggs-for-later-use-in-cooking-1388434

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

I bought a dozen eggs, I've been baking up a storm....

Now I have a hankering for peanut butter cookies.  I don't have a go-to recipe, and the ones I am finding all seem to be the same one, which I find too dry and crumbly.   Does anyone have a recipe that makes a soft/chewy cookie? Perhaps one that could take the addition of chocolate chips or chopped peanuts?  Or maybe a jam thumbprint cookie made with pb???

Here you go, Quof, I make and fill a thumbprint with strawberry jam. Made them for a work party and two people chased me down the hall for the recipe.

No flour to get in the way of the flavor. I think I swapped the jam for the salt, but may have added just a tiny bit--your call.

eta: I remember them being soft, because that's what I like, too, but it's been a while;-)

Edited by buttersister
  • Useful 1

Back on Saturday, I made mooncakes in preparation for the Mid-Autumn Festival (which is this Thursday, October 1).  Since I don't "do" it the traditional way (I HATE lard) and really didn't feel like tweaking existing pancake or cupcake recipes, I decided to come up with my own version.  Somewhat successful and I'll likely keep it for next year.  If anyone is interested (and yes, this can be turned into squares, cupcakes or whatever.  I just used mooncake moulds for it):

https://www.cynthiacmintz.com/mooncakes-2020-pumpkin-puree-chickpea-flour-cornmeal/

Edited by PRgal
  • Love 3

Like a lot of people, I've taken up baking during the pandemic. Mostly pies and cakes. Being the fall in MN, it's apple season, so I made an apple cake with cream cheese frosting. Peeling and shredding the apples was annoying, but I'm happy with the result.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Peeling and shredding the apples was annoying, but I'm happy with the result.

As someone who has taken up making vinegars during the pandemic in the future you can use the skins and cores to make some vinegar!

• Useful 1

I just got back from the King Arthur Baking Company In Vermont. I bought so much! Different kinds of flour, spices/flavorings, other baking ingredients (yeast, white and semisweet chocolate wafers, vital wheat gluten), a pain de mie pan, and some random items, like a brown sugar keeper. I also got a loaf of challah bread and a French loaf. They sold out of rye bread before we got there, even though it was only an hour and a half after they opened. I now have to make a list of all the things I’m going to bake! First up is probably these cardamom brioche buns.

• Love 10

Why is there still no Fleischmann's yeast packages in the baking section of supermarkets?  Well, there's none here, I don't know about other towns. I'm sick of people buying up these groceries like there's no tomorrow (yeast, paper towels, TP, etc) and the warnings are out again about shortages. Really ticks me off.

On 10/31/2020 at 4:40 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Why is there still no Fleischmann's yeast packages in the baking section of supermarkets?  Well, there's none here, I don't know about other towns. I'm sick of people buying up these groceries like there's no tomorrow (yeast, paper towels, TP, etc) and the warnings are out again about shortages. Really ticks me off.

I haven't seen it where I live, but have you tried a restaurant supply store?  Restaurant Depot, Gordon Food Service Stores, there are US Foods Chef Stores in Charlotte and Phoenix (not sure where you're at).  I found some at GFS, even though it's a large package and it's instant.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

You can get it from Amazon.

• Love 1

Mine has some. If you want to message your address I'll send some to you. 

Edited by callie lee 29
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Mine has some. If you want to message your address I'll send some to you. 

Aww... that's so nice, CALLIE LEE 29. Thank you. A neighbor just gave me a few packets + I'm going to order from Amazon. So now I'm ok & can bake some bread. 

• Love 1

I’ve had no problem finding flour or yeast. Although I only started needing them until this month. December I go crazy cooking. Oddly enough one thing I can’t find that drives me crazy is that shower spray that you spray and leave when you are done showering. 🤷‍♀️ 

I can cook savory food pretty good so it’s always been a personal challenge of mine to be able to work with dough. I find I lack the patience. I love a good sourdough bread so I started my first ever “starter” a few days ago. It’s smelly but not bubbly yet 🤷‍♀️. I’m on day four. I made several loves of Challah over Thanksgiving and impressed myself so I’m hoping to get some sourdough going soon! Tomorrow I’m planning on making beef pot pie. I made the dough last week and froze it so the jury’s still out on if it was successful. I’ll find out tomorrow!

• Love 3
8 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Does anyone have a good copycat recipe of Bakers Square's Candy Cane Pie? My daughter said there are only a few stores open now & they're no longer making the Xmas holiday pies. These pies are/were OTT delicious!

Look up “Grandma Martin’s Candy Cane Pie” on amish365.com. See if that comes close.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I'm not able to do much baking this Christmas since I can't give out the results to co-workers and friends (and my family isn't getting together this year), but I am baking a couple of things for me, myself, and I.  I just put a Lemon Supreme Pound Cake (the kind with the apricot nectar in it) in the oven and plan to bake a Sour Cream Pound Cake later this week (since I can't bear to have a Christmas go by without baking at least one.  I think I baked four last year).  That's a lot of cake for just me, but the lemon cake doesn't make a huge heavy 'pound cake-type' cake (despite it's name) and the heavier sour cream pound cake freezes very well, so I'll probably put most of that in the freezer for later days.

I'm hoping that I can do some baking for others by Valentine's Day (or at least by Easter 😞 ). 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Also, I have never made Springerle but have always wanted to.   I don't like anise, is there anything that I could use as a substitute for anise?

My family recipe is the one from Craig Claiborne's New York Times Cookbook, and it does not have anise in the cookie dough. Instead, the dough is flavored with lemon zest, and then anise seeds are scattered over the baking sheets that the cookies rest and are baked on. It’s a really nice effect (and I don’t think I’d enjoy them made with anise extract.) If you want to avoid anise altogether, you could just use the lemon zest in the dough instead.

For the nutmeg cookies, I’d think cinnamon or cardamom would both work fine.

Edited by caitmcg
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I baked a sour cream pound cake this afternoon. It came out of the pan very nicely and the top didn't fall off. That happened to one of the four I made last year, and I read that can happen if you beat the eggs too much as you add them. I only mixed the batter the minimum time and I think it made a difference. I haven't tasted it yet--after dinner.

• Love 6

I (usually) travel for Christmas, and I have a list of foods I must eat on my trip each year.  I'm doing what I can to replicate some of them, so I'm baking bagels. I just did the first rise, shaped them and put them in the fridge for overnight.   It's a lot of work, with several more steps in the morning. But what the hell else do I have to do?

• Love 6