Type keyword(s) to search

The Baking Topic

• Start Topic

That looks like waay too much sugar to me. I always use either a half or a third of the sugar in recipe, but still, for the amount of other ingredients, I would expect maybe 200 or 300 gr at most. And I would use more flour (and baking powder).

• Useful 1

@annzeepark914 If you’re North American and used to working with volume measurements, th ingredients are roughly equivalent to:

3 cups sugar

2 cups sugar

1 cup plus 2 T. cocoa

2 sticks (1 cup) plus 1.5 T. butter

It’s hard to tell what the issues with the recipe are without knowing the method. For instance,  I wouldn’t assume it needs a leavener without knowing how the batter is mixed. Cocoa doesn’t have gluten, so it does make goods more tender, and gives less structure. 

What were the instructions, and what kind of texture did the cake have when you ate it at the restaurant?

Edited by caitmcg
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, caitmcg said:

@annzeepark914 If you’re North American and used to working with volume measurements, th ingredients are roughly equivalent to:

3 cups sugar

2 cups sugar

1 cup plus 2 T. cocoa

2 sticks (1 cup) plus 1.5 T. butter

It’s hard to tell what the issues with the recipe are without knowing the method. For instance,  I wouldn’t assume it needs a leavener without knowing how the batter is mixed. Cocoa doesn’t have gluten, so it does make goods more tender, and gives less structure. 

What were the instructions, and what kind of texture did the cake have when you ate it at the restaurant?

Thank you so much for this information! I live in the Washington DC area. The measurements and baking temp & time were *all* he gave me. The texture was more like a delicate brownie (that sounds strange but it wasn't quite as dense as a brownie...but brownie was my first & lasting impression). 

Is that 3 cups of flour & 2 cups of sugar?

I think they sifted powdered sugar through a doily in lieu of icing, which was perfect!!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Thank you so much for this information! I live in the Washington DC area. The measurements and baking temp & time were *all* he gave me. The texture was more like a delicate brownie (that sounds strange but it wasn't quite as dense as a brownie...but brownie was my first & lasting impression). 

Is that 3 cups of flour & 2 cups of sugar?

I think they sifted powdered sugar through a doily in lieu of icing, which was perfect!!

Sorry for the confusion. It’s 3 cups sugar and 2 cups flour. I don’t know what mixing technique you used, but if, say, you creamed the butter and sugar, you might change it up. If it reminded you of a brownie, you could mix it like a brownie batter, melting the butter, then whisking in the sugar, then eggs, then flour and cocoa. I’d also recommend adding a bit of salt. 

I usually bake by weight when possible (it’s easy and more accurate), but if you want to translate between weight and volume for different baking ingredients, I recommend using this chart from King Arthur Flour. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Thanks, caitmcg. I'm not much of a baker. Would a 9" pan be sufficient for this amount of batter? The cake was one layer.

If you have a 9” round cake or spring for pan that’s at least 2” deep, I imagine it would be okay, otherwise, I’d use a 10” pan.

• Love 1

Another chocolate cake question: Beatty's Chocolate Cake is made with coffee in the cake and frosting. I dislike the flavor of coffee in chocolate because to me, it has a malt-y flavor. So, if anyone's made this cake, can the coffee be left out? I'm thinking it can but just want to be sure. This is the cake that Ina's wonderful florist, Michael? either made or gave her the recipe for. His grandfather delivered milk and his grandmother would make this cake, I think, for sale to his customers.  

16 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Another chocolate cake question: Beatty's Chocolate Cake is made with coffee in the cake and frosting. I dislike the flavor of coffee in chocolate because to me, it has a malt-y flavor. So, if anyone's made this cake, can the coffee be left out? I'm thinking it can but just want to be sure. This is the cake that Ina's wonderful florist, Michael? either made or gave her the recipe for. His grandfather delivered milk and his grandmother would make this cake, I think, for sale to his customers.  

You can use water instead of the coffee in the cake. Beatty’s chocolate cake is identical to the classic Hershey’s black magic cake, and its close cousin, the Hershey’s perfectly chocolate cake uses plain milk (vs. buttermilk) and boiling water instead of coffee. You can just leave the instant espresso powder ouf of the chocolate frosting. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, caitmcg said:
18 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Expand  

You can use water instead of the coffee in the cake. Beatty’s chocolate cake is identical to the classic Hershey’s black magic cake, and its close cousin, the Hershey’s perfectly chocolate cake uses plain milk (vs. buttermilk) and boiling water instead of coffee. You can just leave the instant espresso powder ouf of the chocolate frosting. 

If you don't use the coffee, it's also an opportunity to use a different flavor, if you want.

• Love 1

Does anyone remember Duncan Hines mini cake mixes? The boxes were odd shaped and they provided a cardboard-type cake pan. It made a small cake and also had a frosting packet. My favorite was the chocolate cake. Are they still being sold?

17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

Does anyone remember Duncan Hines mini cake mixes? The boxes were odd shaped and they provided a cardboard-type cake pan. It made a small cake and also had a frosting packet. My favorite was the chocolate cake. Are they still being sold?

I remember something like this as made for children...maybe to go with a kid's toy kitchen set up? (except you really do bake the cake in a regular oven). I don't think they exist anymore...

17 hours ago, annzeepark914 said:

I remember those -- they were tasty, and just right.  I think they've been replaced by all the things you make in a mug in the microwave.

• Sad 1
On 8/18/2022 at 9:22 PM, annzeepark914 said:

Besides the mug cake kits, Duncan Hines does still have a line of small cake kits (https://www.duncanhines.com/easy-kits-mega-cookies) though it looks like they discontinued some flavors and availability seems to be an issue. (Locally, for me, only Walmart carries these kits, but the Chocolate Lover's flavor is currently only available online, not in-store.  That flavor is also currently out-of-stock on Amazon, not counting third-party sellers.)  So they could be in the process of being discontinued, or it might just be a temporary shortage.  You could try contacting Duncan Hines' customer service for a more definitive answer.

2022-09-01_18-10-40.thumb.jpg.891553b11ab9083e4b73eb095717c289.jpg

(screenshot from above link)

• Sad 1
  • Useful 2

I'm not a baker...cooking is so much easier (no rules!!!)  But this afternoon I used a box of chocolate cake mix to make cupcakes. The cupcakes are ok but the frosting is fabulous 😁. I made a buttercream frosting, added some cream cheese and Half & Half, and frosted some of the cupcakes. Then I remembered Ina's chocolate cupcakes w/ peanut butter frosting. So I added a bit to the frosting & it is soooooo delicious. I sampled one and really just ate the top (like Elaine & her muffin tops).

• Love 1

I just took a pan of lemon bars out of the oven.  I usually try to bake from scratch, but I've found that -- to me, anyway -- lemon bars from a mix taste better than those that I make from scratch.  These are Krusteaz Meyer Lemon Bars.  The house smells really good, and I'm impatiently waiting them to cool off enough for me to have as a first course for dinner (and for dessert as well, of course).

Edited by BooksRule
typo
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, BooksRule said:

I just took a pan of lemon bars out of the oven.  I usually try to bake from scratch, but I've found that -- to me, anyway -- lemon bars from a mix taste better than those that I make from scratch.  These are Krusteaz Meyer Lemon Bars.  The house smells really good, and I'm impatiently waiting them to cool off enough for me to have as a first course for dinner (and for dessert as well, of course).

Yum those sound yummy! I will have to see if my store has those. 

• Love 1

I'm in a mood to bake several things that I've been meaning to try for a couple of months, but I also get put off by all of the butter. I also only have a few sticks of unsalted, at the moment. 

I want to make browned butter oatmeal apple cookies (I think that's what they were). Blueberry peach cake, blueberry peach or lemon blueberry muffins... apple cinnamon cake. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I got a late start in baking a sour cream pound cake for a campus luncheon tomorrow.  It still has about a half hour to go in the oven and I'll still have to let it cool before I can put it in the cake carrier and go to bed.  And I get to do it all over again tomorrow evening for another luncheon on Thursday.  I don't mind, though.  Even though the cake ingredients have gotten more expensive every year (over $5 for a dozen eggs, yikes!) it's a go-to dish to take anywhere when I want to take a dessert.  You can make it a day ahead if you want, you don't have to assemble the cake or frost it. It doesn't have to be refrigerated and it transports easily.  (And, it's very tasty, if I say so myself.)

Edited by BooksRule
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I've only just discovered this topic, heh. This is a selection of Christmas cupcakes I made this year.

These are vanilla with a Victorian Christmas colour theme

IMG_1556.jpegIMG_1698.jpegIMG_1700.jpegIMG_1710.jpegThese ones had a Ferrero Rocher hidden under the frosting 😉

Gingerbread flavour with a winter wonderland theme

IMG_1565.jpeg

Double choc flavour with a traditional Christmas colour theme

IMG_1569.jpeg

Apple & cinnamon flavour with traditional colour theme

21b7f7ce-ea83-48ee-aa15-1fc817ec4919.jpg

More gingerbread flavour with a merry & bright colour theme

IMG_1707.jpegIMG_1701.jpegIMG_1711.jpeg

Some were given as boxed gifts to family & friends, the rest we scoffed! 😋 😅

I have some gingerbread cookies and more cupcakes (which I made today) to share in another post as this one is already kinda long lol.

• Mind Blown 6
  • Applause 6
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

I've only just discovered this topic, heh. This is a selection of Christmas cupcakes I made this year.

These are vanilla with a Victorian Christmas colour theme

IMG_1556.jpegIMG_1698.jpegIMG_1700.jpegIMG_1710.jpegThese ones had a Ferrero Rocher hidden under the frosting 😉

Gingerbread flavour with a winter wonderland theme

IMG_1565.jpeg

Double choc flavour with a traditional Christmas colour theme

IMG_1569.jpeg

Apple & cinnamon flavour with traditional colour theme

21b7f7ce-ea83-48ee-aa15-1fc817ec4919.jpg

More gingerbread flavour with a merry & bright colour theme

IMG_1707.jpegIMG_1701.jpegIMG_1711.jpeg

Some were given as boxed gifts to family & friends, the rest we scoffed! 😋 😅

I have some gingerbread cookies and more cupcakes (which I made today) to share in another post as this one is already kinda long lol.

Holy cow, you're talented!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Ditto from me! Those are absolutely gorgeous!

Indeed they are gorgeous!  And I'm sure they're just as tasty, but really, I'd have a hard time actually eating one since they're so damn pretty. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Those cupcakes are gorgeous!

I did a few experimental batches of cookies, but I really didn't have the energy this year for christmas baking. I might try something special for Valentine's day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all ❤️

I began seriously striving to improve my piping skills last March, as I enjoy the creativity and in particular learning how to pipe buttercream flowers and create cupcake bouquets. I plan to start selling them locally (I'm in the UK so this isn't a sales pitch lol) this year as a side hustle 😉, and any (esp positive heh) feedback is welcome as it gives me confidence that I'm heading in the right direction.

I'll post some of my earlier floral design bakes from the last year at some point as well - if anyone is interested? I don't wanna be a cupcake bore! 😬

Happy New Year!

• Like 2
  • Applause 6
21 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

Thanks all ❤️

I began seriously striving to improve my piping skills last March, as I enjoy the creativity and in particular learning how to pipe buttercream flowers and create cupcake bouquets. I plan to start selling them locally (I'm in the UK so this isn't a sales pitch lol) this year as a side hustle 😉, and any (esp positive heh) feedback is welcome as it gives me confidence that I'm heading in the right direction.

I'll post some of my earlier floral design bakes from the last year at some point as well - if anyone is interested? I don't wanna be a cupcake bore! 😬

Happy New Year!

I'm interested! You have mad skills. Have you ever considered opening a bakery? (Seriously! You'd be a hit!)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm interested! You have mad skills. Have you ever considered opening a bakery? (Seriously! You'd be a hit!)

You're too kind @WendyCR72 I'm still learning all the time and not at the level I'd like to ideally be at just yet. That said, I'm working on selling on a small scale in my local area this year - via an online store. Still in the set up process atm. In the meantime, I have a small IG account (but would feel kinda weird sharing that tbh) so, I shall share with you lovely ladies (and gents?) over here instead if that's ok?!

• Like 6
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, SilverStormm said:

You're too kind @WendyCR72 I'm still learning all the time and not at the level I'd like to ideally be at just yet. That said, I'm working on selling on a small scale in my local area this year - via an online store. Still in the set up process atm. In the meantime, I have a small IG account (but would feel kinda weird sharing that tbh) so, I shall share with you lovely ladies (and gents?) over here instead if that's ok?!

Well, as I said, feel free to share. I'd love to see your progress! Happy New Year!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, SilverStormm said:

Share it! I love following the work of talented bakers and chefs, it's inspiring. 

• Like 4

Cookies aren't really my forte; mine are always a little clumsy and not super neat & precise, but I bake them at Christmas for family. This year I used marshmallow fondant that I bought but have since learned how to make my own fondant, which I want to try for cupcake purposes when needed. Anyhoo, here's my efforts this year...

Please excuse the clutter in the background, it was Christmas Eve eve, heh.

IMG_1668.jpegIMG_1673.jpegIMG_1674.jpegIMG_1677.jpegIMG_1679.jpeg

As I said, a little on the clumsy side but they tasted nice and I'm not planning to sell cookies, luckily lol. First time using a fondant embosser too, it's all a learning curve!

• Love 10

Lastly, here are some Lotus Biscoff & Strawberry Shortcake cupcakes I baked today, which we stuffed in our faces this evening 😂. Simple design but yummy; they were filled with biscoff & strawberry whipped chantilly cream respectively, then frosted with the same flavours in American buttercream. Naughty but nice. 

IMG_1797.jpeg

Close up shot

IMG_1800.jpeg

• Applause 4
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, SilverStormm said:

I'll post some of my earlier floral design bakes from the last year at some point as well - if anyone is interested?

Please do!

Just a thought - maybe watermark the photos of your original work before posting. Something like 'Original designs by SilverStorm'. It's what I would do if I were planning to monetize a side hustle, assuming that is allowed here.

• Like 3

@SilverStormm Those cupcakes are impressive. At first glance, I thought they were meringues, they look so precise. I also love the colors and your use of sprinkles - they compliment the decorations and don't overwhelm them.

I'm the opposite, I admire buttercream decorations like yours, it's such a pretty art, but I don't have the patience for them. Cookies on the other hand, I can spend hours with.

Good luck with your business and yes, please post more pictures. They're beautiful. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
On 12/31/2022 at 9:49 PM, SilverStormm said:

Thanks all ❤️

Happy New Year!

That's amazing skill and also design ability.  Kudos.  I really enjoyed looking at them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two floral bakes from last spring and summer and a birthday cake I decorated for a family member.

Bake 1

IMG_5172.jpegIMG_5170.jpegIMG_5169.jpeg

Bake 2

cedba7fd-fa61-4412-a5b6-831a6ab47afc.jpg0e27c6c5-5764-406c-aa1a-a0efb616617d.jpg7bc2ce16-4bb2-4461-be9c-0ad346581061.jpgdbfc7cfc-5f75-432e-8718-66988cc0059e.jpg

Birthday cake

IMG_8221.jpegb7522203-536b-4123-9d30-cdd12e0bdce8.jpg

That was the first birthday cake I've done in this style. The macarons and small beige meringue bites were shop bought but the mini choc bars were homemade.

• Like 2
  • Fire 1
  • Love 10

Just beautiful, @SilverStormm.

Quite a while ago, I had the pleasure of watching a guy decorate cakes up in the Hudson Valley, once at a party and once at a famous crafts fair in the town of Rhinebeck. His style was very much like those pale-paletted cupcakes of yours, and they were the most beautiful icing work I'd ever seen, each one like a faded Victorian valentine. Yours bring me back to that in the best way.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Mondrianyone said:

Just beautiful, @SilverStormm.

Quite a while ago, I had the pleasure of watching a guy decorate cakes up in the Hudson Valley, once at a party and once at a famous crafts fair in the town of Rhinebeck. His style was very much like those pale-paletted cupcakes of yours, and they were the most beautiful icing work I'd ever seen, each one like a faded Victorian valentine. Yours bring me back to that in the best way.

Thank you! ❤️

I do do other colour schemes but I must admit the pale pinks and greens are my fav. I do like an all white or a nude, or dusky pink theme too. I have other colour themed bakes I'll share in the coming weeks also.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
On 1/3/2023 at 3:39 PM, SilverStormm said:

Two floral bakes from last spring and summer and a birthday cake I decorated for a family member.

Bake 1

IMG_5172.jpegIMG_5170.jpegIMG_5169.jpeg

Bake 2

cedba7fd-fa61-4412-a5b6-831a6ab47afc.jpg0e27c6c5-5764-406c-aa1a-a0efb616617d.jpg7bc2ce16-4bb2-4461-be9c-0ad346581061.jpgdbfc7cfc-5f75-432e-8718-66988cc0059e.jpg

Birthday cake

IMG_8221.jpegb7522203-536b-4123-9d30-cdd12e0bdce8.jpg

That was the first birthday cake I've done in this style. The macarons and small beige meringue bites were shop bought but the mini choc bars were homemade.

These all are just bursts of wonderful color, like spring! Absolutely beautiful. Again, I'd feel beyond guilty eating these, since they are so, so pretty!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm not much of a sweet baker.  Instead of the pandemic soda bread I've been making for almost three years, I decided to make soda drop biscuits!  The recipe was inspired by something I found on The Kitchn, subbing some of the yogurt with kefir and using baking soda instead of baking powder.  And I added olives.  

Drop biscuits.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

A couple of earlier bakes that were used for cupcake bouquets.

Nude, pink & white roses (and a couple of peonies toward the back of the pic). Not my best work but this wasn't that long after I began learning tbf.

9588cf28-1a1e-47a0-821b-827a7c971944.jpg

Experimenting with colours. Navy, teal & peach theme except the 'teal' wasn't quite the right shade I'd hoped for, nice to try different combinations though. As I said before, it's a steep learning curve.

6dc280b9-db7e-41c2-a8a3-9204e5ae9639.jpg

As a bouquet

IMG_6159.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 5
On 1/11/2023 at 7:14 AM, SilverStormm said:

A couple of earlier bakes that were used for cupcake bouquets.

Nude, pink & white roses (and a couple of peonies toward the back of the pic). Not my best work but this wasn't that long after I began learning tbf.

I think you're selling yourself short. I can't stop looking at the light pink rose towards the back. It looks real. As do the white ones in the front.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I tried a recipe from this week’s New York Times. Pistachio Bundt Cake, from a top restaurant.  The gimmick was the secret ingredient.  Jell-O Pistachio Instant Pudding.  Every so often I like to try these gimmicky recipes.  I had to go to the supermarket to find the instant pudding.  I’d never even noticed pistachio pudding before, but it was there between the vanilla and chocolate.   It came out very good texture wise, and the taste was good, but after a while I become too conscious of the artificial flavor. It called for a couple of toppings that were not good. One was made with ricotta cheese, vanilla and olive oil. Too strong. A bit of plain ricotta made a nice topping. Also a lime glaze made with confectioner’s sugar.  I don’t like that type of frosting to begin with. 
Now here’s the kicker. The cake called for nine egg whites. Of course, I used carton egg whites. I had no use for nine egg yolks. You’d be surprised how many commenters complained that that the recipe didn’t tell them what to do with nine egg yolks, but they were seemingly unaware of the existence of container egg whites, and several others pointed this out in the comments.   In a recipe based on a gimmick of using instant pudding, you’d think they would have informed the readers to use convenience egg whites. I’m sure that’s what they use in restaurants. 

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 1
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, EtheltoTillie said:

I tried a recipe from this week’s New York Times. Pistachio Bundt Cake, from a top restaurant.  The gimmick was the secret ingredient.  Jell-O Pistachio Instant Pudding.  Every so often I like to try these gimmicky recipes.  I had to go to the supermarket to find the instant pudding.  I’d never even noticed pistachio pudding before, but it was there between the vanilla and chocolate.   It came out very good texture wise, and the taste was good, but after a while I become too conscious of the artificial flavor. It called for a couple of toppings that were not good. One was made with ricotta cheese, vanilla and olive oil. Too strong. A bit of plain ricotta made a nice topping. Also a lime glaze made with confectioner’s sugar.  I don’t like that type of frosting to begin with. 
Now here’s the kicker. The cake called for nine egg whites. Of course, I used carton egg whites. I had no use for nine egg yolks. You’d be surprised how many commenters complained that that the recipe didn’t tell them what to do with nine egg yolks, but they were seemingly unaware of the existence of container egg whites, and several others pointed this out in the comments.   In a recipe based on a gimmick of using instant pudding, you’d think they would have informed the readers to use convenience egg whites. I’m sure that’s what they use in restaurants. 

I love pistachio flavour desserts and cakes. Sounds like you had some fun experimenting with it, should take pics! I've made strawberry and pistachio cupcakes before, they were delish.