Type keyword(s) to search

The Baking Topic

• Start Topic

I finished making seven different kinds of cookies (cream wafers, nanimo bars, mini pecan pies, peanut butter blossoms, homemade mallomars-strawberry and mint-, jam thumbprints, and snickerdooles) and a date loaf. Now I can start on the pies!

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I finished making seven different kinds of cookies (cream wafers, nanimo bars, mini pecan pies, peanut butter blossoms, homemade mallomars-strawberry and mint-, jam thumbprints, and snickerdooles) and a date loaf. Now I can start on the pies!

Oh, those sound wonderful! I've wanted to try to make nanimo bars - I've never had one but they look tasty.

3 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Oh, those sound wonderful! I've wanted to try to make nanimo bars - I've never had one but they look tasty.

Do it! They are super easy, they are a holiday tradition in my family since before I was born so I use the recipe in the family cookbook but this is super close and delicious.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Do it! They are super easy, they are a holiday tradition in my family since before I was born so I use the recipe in the family cookbook but this is super close and delicious.

Thank you! My mom usually brings back boxed mix but this year she brought back custard powder and I've been looking for a tried and true recipe.

Does anyone have a recommended recipe for stroopwafel?  I tried one recipe over the weekend and I think either I didn't leave the cookies in the iron long enough to get really toasty brown so the cookie has more of a snap, or if I didn't do the caramel filling right and it made the cookies too moist, so that also contributed to the softness of the cookie.  I'm a good baker and can follow a recipe just fine, but this recipe did not include a lot of details like the ones I'm asking about.  

11 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I'm no help because I had to look up what one was.  Sounds delightful!  Good luck.

If you're a frequent United Airlines flyer, they give out brand name stroopwafels with drinks on their morning flights.

On 1/16/2017 at 9:31 PM, BW Manilowe said:

If you're a frequent United Airlines flyer, they give out brand name stroopwafels with drinks on their morning flights.

Haha, yes, Premier 1K right here.  OBSESSED with the stroopwafels.  I just tried a second recipe.  A little to the United cookie in taste or texture, but more appealing overall than my first attempt that used yeast for leavening.  This one was baking powder (I looked at the ingredients statement when I flew last week, heh heh).  The caramel was better, but I think I might be better off finding a really thick caramel sauce recipe and using that as the filling.  The caramels I've used in my attempts have either been too wet or gotten so hard you have to microwave the cookie to get it pliable again.

Hi all, this is the very easy recipe of Red Velvet Cupcake I have found out. Let’s enjoy!

• 1(18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix

• 2tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa

• 5large eggs                                         

• 1⁄2cup vegetable oil

• 1cup buttermilk

• 2(1 ounce) bottles red food coloring (do not reduce amount!)

• Cream cheese frosting

Directions

1. Set oven to 350 degrees.

2. Line 24 regular-size muffin tins with paper or foil liners.

3. In a large bowl beat the cake mix with baking cocoa, eggs, oil, buttermilk and food colouring for about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally.

4. Spoon the batter evenly between the muffin tins about two-thirds full.

5. Bake according to package directions for cupcakes or cake.

6. Remove from the pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

7. Spread tops with cream cheese frosting.

Tks.

A friend requested a low-sugar German Chocolate Cake. I'm trying to find a bakery that will make one for me (I haven't baked a cake in over 20 years, just not my thing), but not having much success. If it comes down to it,  in a pinch, how would I do this at home? I don't know how to modify a recipe. Is the coconut/pecan mixture available at the store, or would I have to make that, too? 

I'm tempted to just get a regular GCC -- the friend isn't diabetic, just health-conscious.  Most of the recipes I see online are still high in calories.

The frosting is available in a can from the major companies.  I find it pretty good.

You could try making a cake from scratch using stevia instead of sugar,

I'd just get her a German Chocolate Birthday cupcake.

• Love 1

The frosting is available in a can from the major companies.  I find it pretty good.

Ow.  Knife to my heart.

I went to an "International Dinner Party" once.   I made German chocolate cake from scratch.  Others brought things like Caesar salad from a kit, take out Chinese food, and frozen pizza.

Cretins.  

• Love 6

I am considering baking a cake myself -- I am astonished to report that I live in a major metropolitan area and can't find a bakery to suit my needs. They are either booked up, or they make lots of exotic flavors and nothing as mundane as German chocolate.

Btw, Quof, German Chocolate cake is an American invention -- created by a man with the last name German.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, ennui said:

I am considering baking a cake myself -

You could try using Stevia for the sugar.  Plant based, 200x sweeter and zero calories.  I haven't used it, but I found some sugar - stevia exchange ratios pretty easy.

I ordered a standard GCC. I tried for low-sugar, but it wasn't happening. Oh well. 

I thought about baking myself, but then I decided that the bakery would do a better job of decorating. Let the pros handle it, and I stick with the things I know how to bake.

Edited by ennui

Years ago my daughter's fourth grade class had an international lunch for the kids.  I made my handmade ravioli (making my own pasta and filling) and proudly showed up at lunchtime for the party.  The lady behind me had a Taco Bell bag!

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, 6Lombardis said:

Years ago my daughter's fourth grade class had an international lunch for the kids.  I made my handmade ravioli (making my own pasta and filling) and proudly showed up at lunchtime for the party.  The lady behind me had a Taco Bell bag!

Can you share your homemade ravioli recipe.?  I would love to try it. 

Can you keep a secret?

Years ago we had a bread machine, but got rid of it because we seldom used it.   While making cinnamon rolls a few weeks ago, I thought it would be nice to have the bread machine to make the dough and do the first rise.  So yesterday I bought one at Goodwill for $6.   I can hear my mother now "I thought we were trying to get rid of stuff!".  And she's right.  But $6!   So now it is hidden in the closet.   

Please don't tell.

But if you have any good recipes, please let me know.

• Love 3

I think I posted in Pet Peeves how angry it made me when I show up with lovingly prepared items from scratch for a pot luck and other people bring ready made junk. It especially enrages me that the ready made stuff gets eaten first because people would rather go with what they know.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Qoass said:

I think I posted in Pet Peeves how angry it made me when I show up with lovingly prepared items from scratch for a pot luck and other people bring ready made junk. It especially enrages me that the ready made stuff gets eaten first because people would rather go with what they know.

Hell yeah they do. People hate change, and when it comes to food, it is not at all unusual for people to go with what they know. 

I'm not one of those people, but if there are six different things available in the pot luck, I would go for the home made items but lean heavier on the "known" items like meatballs over the "what the heck is that?" things. It's just natural to do so.

Ariel, I'm not sure how to qoute but here is the ravioli recipe.  It's from before pasta makers and I'll type it from the recipe card I copied from my Mother's file.

Filling for Ravioli

1/2 lb. meat

1/4 c. Parmesan cheese

2 T parsley

1/3 c. Bread crumbs

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1/4 t. Salt

Cook meat, drain.  Add all ingredients and let cool.

Ravioli

2 c. Flour

3 egg yolks

3/4 t. Salt

lukewarm water (about 7 T.)

1 egg, slightly beaten ( for sealing the ravioli)

Sift flour in bowl and make a well in the center.  Add egg yolks, salt and water to make a smooth ball.  Turn out on a well-floured board and knead for 10 minutes.  Brush with oil and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.  Roll out and make squares. Fill.  Brush edges with beaten egg to seal.  Cook in bowling water until tender.

i have made them using won ton or egg roll wrappers but the pasta is really the best.

Now I think I am going to have to make them again.

• Love 2
On 8/2/2017 at 5:37 PM, Quof said:

Ow.  Knife to my heart.

I went to an "International Dinner Party" once.   I made German chocolate cake from scratch.  Others brought things like Caesar salad from a kit, take out Chinese food, and frozen pizza.

Cretins.  

That's the same reason I stopped doing baking and cookie swaps. Pillsbury slice and bake and everyday generic chocolate chip or oatmeal cookies just don't cut it when I'm spending $$ on quality ingredients and baking or decorating for hours making cranberry walnut biscotti, macarons, linzer cookies, among others.

I love to bake and give away food but coming away more often than not with half hearted efforts year after year. I just said no more and pleas of "you made the best cookies" just fell flat.

I usually fair better with pot lucks.

• Love 2

Ariel, thanks for the King Arthur recommendation.  I thought they would be to "old school" to have bread machine recipes.  I made cinnamon roll dough in it yesterday and it worked perfectly - the dough rose beautifully and all I had to do was dump ingradients and walk away.  Now to try a bread recipe to see if the baking function works correctly.  After all, I did invest a whole $6 in the machine.

Now to see if I can find a madeleines pan and a 10-inch springform pan at a thrift store.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mittengirl said:

Now to see if I can find a madeleines pan and a 10-inch springform pan at a thrift store.

Try Ebay.  I've gotten some of my best culinary deals in August there when everyone is on vacation.

I think it would be really fun to make classic black and white cookies for the eclipse with the frosting showing the progressive motion of the moon but the only time I made them, they came out awful so I'm just throwing that idea out there for a better baker...

The Black and White cookie is really a flat cake, so a sugar cookie won't do! And stores that take regular shortbread cookies and ice them black and white piss me off.

What recipe did you use?  I think I used Martha's.

Oh, I wouldn't pass them off as black and white cookies! Better to have good sugar cookies than crappy B & Ws. I can't remember whose recipe I used but I looked at a couple and they were very much the same. They came out tough and dry and I fully accept it was probably more due to the way I handled the dough than to the recipe.

Okies ladies (and gents) I need this answered by tomorrow please!

Am making strawberry pies as it is strawberry season and they are selling for $3 a pound! 

I want to freeze some for night's when we need dessert.

Should I make the pies, bake them all, freeze, flash in the airfryer/oven to crisp crust before eating?

Or make and freeze the unbaked pies

Quality vs convenience

Will a prebaked thawed pie suffer much in terms of quality?

Last year I did the unbaked pies and found it a hassle to bake to golden brown every dessert night and then let it cool before we could eat it.

Sorry, can't help you with any practical advice since I like my strawberry pies uncooked (a cooked pie shell, tons of fresh strawberries in a light glaze and whipped cream.  Damn it!  I miss living near a Marie Callendars!) . 

I would suggest doing a quick test.  Make the pie filling and leave out enough for three pies.  Make the pie dough and leave out enough for three pies.  Assemble three pies, 1 to eat fresh and use as your baseline goal, 1 to bake & freeze and 1 to assemble & freeze.  Over the next week, give both a try and see if there is a noticeable difference in the taste and/or convenience factor for you.

While the strawberries are fresh, you can always make your pie filling in a big batch, portion them out and freeze until you decide which process works best for you.

Freezing strawberries for things other than smoothies isn't good because they do not hold up. They will be soft and mushy. Baked or not.

Using them in sauces is also good.

I agree with DeLurker, however, in that I do Marie Callendar style strawberry pies.

Good luck, though.

I freeze them cut up with bananas then use them for smoothies. No need to add ice. I agree that while I don't have personal experience with doing so, freezing them for pies doesn't sound good.

Edited by Qoass

DeLurker, I do a strawberry pie like that.  I use a single pastry crust, bake it, then melt dark chocolate with a little whipping cream and brush the inside of the pie shell before filling. 

• Love 2

Update on the pies! Baked them all and froze them after they cooled down. I reheat one in the airfryer while still frozen and then left it to set up like a freshly baked pie. Honesty no difference at all! 

It's so convenient to have a frozen pie for dessert with no work during the week!

• Love 3

I would say if you like limes, go for it. The texture is lighter than that of a lemon meringue pie and you can't lose with a graham cracker crust. For your first foray, I would recommend bottled lime juice because you'd have to squeeze many, many limes to do it fresh.