Type keyword(s) to search

What Did We Eat Today?

• Start Topic

When, oh, when will I ever learn to make a half-recipe when I'm trying something new?  I had a recipe for pretzel-crusted chicken that looked amazing but I always end up with leftover breading so I just kept dipping until I'd made 10 thighs and I'd used everything up.  The dish turned out awful but I won't just toss it and go back to the store for something else-- too wasteful for this yankee cook.  I guess tonight I'll be pulling the baked chicken off the bones and hiding it in a pot pie or something.  Very disappointing.

harrie, Here's the recipe for the buyers I made http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/cheesesteak-burgers-pickled-peppers-onions-cucumber.  The marinade was just equal parts apple cider vinegar, water and a couple teaspoons of sugar.  The recipe called for dill, but I don't like dlll so I left it out.   The burgers came out really good.  I did like local-sourced ground beef.  I probably won't buy it too often, but I may pick it up it occasionally as a treat (actually, considering the ground beef at my local supermarket has been running over $5 a pound, the local stuff is not that much more expensive).  

• Love 1

I'm making hamburgers tonight with ground beef bought from a local farm at the Farmer's Market yesterday.  It was pretty expensive, $8 a pound, but I wanted to try it to see if it's worth the price.   The burgers will have a mixture of marinated red, yellow and orange peppers, sliced onion and cucumber on top, as well as cheese.    On the side I'm roasting potato wedges.  For dessert is a cobbler with peaches, blueberries and raspberries (the raspberries are ones I picked myself in our backyard last year and froze.  The recipe called for blackberries, but they were pretty pricey, and I remembered I had the raspberries in the freezer.  I pulled out the bag of berries and tasted some, they tasted fine so I added them to the mixture instead of the blackberries.

Migrating this to new foods.

Thanks for the marinade recipe - my Dad would love that so I'll be saving it so I can make it for him when I see him later this summer!

• Love 1

I'm making spaghetti with pesto sauce, with a salad of sliced tomatoes and mozzarella cheese on the side.  When I make spaghetti with pesto sauce I like to sprinkle it with toasted pignoli, it adds a nice little crunch.  

• Love 3

forumfish, here's the recipe http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/squash-bacon-mozzarella-quiche.  I didn't make the piecrust from the recipe though, just used a Pillsbury piecrust.  

Oh, thank you for the recipe!  Our farmshare has been giving us zucchini and summer squash the past few weeks, and I've got them coming out my ears!

Roasted turkey thighs, green rice and zucchini. There was a restaurant in my town that served the best green rice casserole. They used to sell the seasoning packets, but when the restaurant went out of business (menu wasn't appealing to a younger crowd) the seasoning packets were unavailable. Both my brother and I found a similar recipe online and that's what I used. It is 10x better made with fresh ingredients than those sodium-laded seasoning packets.

Care to share the recipe for the green rice?  I am intrigued!

• Love 2

Tonight I'm making chicken cutlets with strawberry-avocado salsa.   The strawberries are local, they taste good, very "strawberry" flavor.  The salsa is just avocado, strawberries, cilantro, lime juice and a small amount of jalapeño Green salad and orzo on the side.  

Because I eat my weight in mangoes when they're in season, tonight I'm making a mango and cucumber salsa (with cilantro & ginger) to go with seared scallops.

Bastet, that mango salsa sounds great.  I'll try it next time mangoes are on sale.   

• Love 1

Buzzfeed has had some good recipe compilations. When I get in a rut I'll find 5, buy the ingredients and make them all.

All these except the carrot one were good. I didn't hate the carrot one but I wouldn't make it again. My favorite was the one with spaghetti squash and bacon. If you're watching your weight with My Fitness Pal you can dump the link of each recipe in to their importer, confirm the ingredients and have your calorie count.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/christinebyrne/quick-and-easy-weeknight-dinners#.md74Oe4aZ

• Love 2

Dinner for me turned out to be a plate of nachos from a stand at the farmers market.  Had planned on something else but those nachos looked so good.

Funny. I'm planning on making nachos tonight, but that could totally turn into something different by the time I get home. I made a batch of taco meat a couple days ago, but ended up mixing it with some rice and other stuff to make burritos instead. My daughter reminded me this morning that I mentioned the word nachos when I was putting away the leftover meat.  I think I'm out of decent corn chips though, so I guess I need to stop at the Kwik E Mart on the way home. 

• Love 1

I think I've finally hit a wall.  I posted a few months ago about my colitis diagnosis and the stupid low FODMAP diet I was supposed to be following. So many of my favourite foods are prohibited, that I've just given up trying to enjoy eating any more.   I've been sitting on my sofa for 90 minutes trying to figure out what to eat, and I've come up with nothing.   Can I just eat a hunk of chocolate and go to bed?

I think the drugs are working more than anything; when I'm feeling relatively well and decrease the dosage, I have an almost immediate flare of excruciating pain that takes days to settle.

I'm about 50 % compliant with the diet.  The big categories I refuse to eliminate are gluten and dairy.  I gave up dairy for a month while we still in the diagnosis stage, and it made no difference, so why would I give up ice cream?   I notice no difference on days when I eat a little versus a lot of gluten and I would rather eat shards of glass than give up bread.  I do notice an effect from some FODMAP foods, sadly onions, garlic, and turmeric, so I have immediate pain when I eat Indian food.   I've eliminated a lot of the raw fruits and vegetables I used to eat, which makes it hard to pack my office snacks.  I used to eat a Big Salad for lunch, now it's pretty small with only the vegetables that I am allowed, and I don't enjoy it.   I can't eat large meals, so I mostly nibble through the day.  

• Love 2

Tonight I made curried shrimp with sautéed grape tomatoes, served over rice.  Spicy green beans on the side. 

For dessert I tried something different.  Meringues made with chick pea liquid instead of egg whites.  http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/06/10/aquafaba_baking_with_chickpea_liquid_for_vegan_meringues.html?wpsrc=kwfacebook&kwp_0=19427&kwp_4=128587&kwp_1=155293  I'm not vegan, or allergic to eggs, but I love meringues and rarely have leftover egg whites, when I use an egg it's almost always the whole egg.  I don't make many recipes using just egg yolks.   I made hummus the other day and saved the liquid. I tried the recipe today and It came out great.  The whipped up liquid looked just like whipped egg whites, I added sugar and vanilla and baked the meringues at 250 degrees for 90 minutes.  They taste just like regular meringues.

• Love 1

Last night I only had two chicken breasts left (from Trader Joe's frozen bag). Thawed, then chopped & pulsed in the food processor, added some stuff & voila! Chicken burgers with lime aioli.  Mr. P914 loves them but he especially loves that aioli (he gets the leftovers).

• Love 2
ALenore, thanks for pointing me towards the zucchini quiche recipe--I made it the other day and it was deeee-licious! I used a frozen Pillsbury pie crust too (because ain't nobody got time to be messing with pastry), and am inspired to use the second one from the package for another quiche. Why have I never made quiche before? So yummy!
  • Love 1

Last night I had grilled pork chops, grilled zucchini and couscous.  Tonight we're doing wine, cheese, bread, fruit and hummus. I bought some bourbon last week, so I'm going to try a recipe I read for Bourbon Street Milkshakes: http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1013257-bourbon-street-milkshake.  It's basically milk, vanilla ice cream, Nutella, and bourbon.  Looking forward to trying it  

Mmmmm, boozy shakes! :)  Especially boozy shakes with NUTELLA!!!! 

• Love 2

Spaghetti and Italian Sausage

Loaf of take & bake bread (a batard)

Fresh fruit - strawberries, Rainier cherries, watermelon and  apples

Fresh veggies - cucumber, carrots and celery.

I just cut up the watermelon and am sadly disappointed.  The last couple have been exceptional - picture perfect, smell-o-rific and have tasted heavenly.  This one is ...just average.

• Love 2

Took a cooking class in Niagara-on-the-Lake today.  Made delicious goodies!  I'd say that the dip was my least favourite.  It really lacked flavour (garlic would have helped and probably why they called it a dip rather than hummus). 

Are those pictures of what you personally made?  Because the plating is excellent (so's the photography).  

• Love 3

I'm going to be making chicken fajitas tonight.  I had a lot of leftover red, orange, and green bell pepper strips from a previous meal and I want to use them up before they go bad.

• Love 1

Are those pictures of what you personally made?  Because the plating is excellent (so's the photography).  

Thanks!  The dip was made with another couple, but the other dishes were made by my husband and myself.  I was the plater :)

(the dessert kind of fell a part.  Personally, I would have made individual ones in ramekins rather than a pie plate.  An instructor topped it with the whip though).

• Love 3

I'm making linguine with turkey sausage, arugula and tomatoes -- some grape tomatoes, and some leftover salsa from the chicken fajitas I made yesterday.   I think I'll make seared green beans with garlic on the side.   

• Love 1

Took a cooking class in Niagara-on-the-Lake today.  Made delicious goodies!  I'd say that the dip was my least favourite.  It really lacked flavour (garlic would have helped and probably why they called it a dip rather than hummus). 

Were you at one of those ice wine vineyards?  Love Niagara-on-the-Lake!  We spent the night there while traveling from NYS to MI a few years ago.  The B&B we stayed at served the best scones I've ever had and the owner gave me the recipe (she was so nice & had a lovely home).  The town is absolutely gorgeous - window boxes filled with beautiful flowers, elegant old homes, stunning gardens.  I felt as tho' I'd stepped into a beautiful coffee table book.

• Love 2

Since my sick kitty is finally eating, I am finally eating -- just some baked salmon and roasted asparagus since both cook quickly, but it's going to taste so good ... about five minutes to go.  Since Saturday morning, I have forced down a total of eight chicken wings, a little bit of roasted cauliflower, and four wheat crackers with some fontina cheese on them.

• Love 1

Last night I made tilapia po'boys, topped with broccoli slaw.    There was lots of fried tilapia left over, enough for a couple of lunches.   Tonight I'm making panzanella (bread and tomato salad) .  I'm adding white kidney beans for extra protein.

I love Niagara-on-the Lake too.   My husband and I took a vacation there several years ago and we stayed a very nice bed and breakfast that was formerly a bank.   I'd like to go back some day.   

• Love 2

Were you at one of those ice wine vineyards?  Love Niagara-on-the-Lake!  We spent the night there while traveling from NYS to MI a few years ago.  The B&B we stayed at served the best scones I've ever had and the owner gave me the recipe (she was so nice & had a lovely home).  The town is absolutely gorgeous - window boxes filled with beautiful flowers, elegant old homes, stunning gardens.  I felt as tho' I'd stepped into a beautiful coffee table book.

They make ice wines, but also "regular" ones.  The place is called Strewn Winery (there is a link to the cooking school).  They don't have a B&B and it's a bit more isolated from the main town area.  It was really cold and dreary when we were there on Saturday, so we didn't get to see much of the area.  Did buy two bottles, though. :)

• Love 2

I just grilled a strip loin steak.   I do absolutely nothing to it, just a sprinkle of kosher salt after it's on the grill. Cooked to a perfect medium.   It was like buttah.  I should probably have some veg or something to go with it, but I don't want to.  One of the joys of solo living is that I also don't have to. 

• Love 4

Since my sick kitty is finally eating, I am finally eating -- just some baked salmon and roasted asparagus since both cook quickly, but it's going to taste so good ... about five minutes to go.  Since Saturday morning, I have forced down a total of eight chicken wings, a little bit of roasted cauliflower, and four wheat crackers with some fontina cheese on them.

I'm glad kitty is eating - and you, too. I hope things stay good with the kit.

• Love 2

The stages of tonight's dinner:

4:00 pm--It's 90 degrees in the shade.  I don't wanna cook.

4:05 pm--So make a salad.

4:10 pm--Don't feel like eating salad.

4:15pm--So heat up some left-overs.

4:20 pm--Ate up all the left-overs earlier this week.

4:25 pm-Grill something?

4:30 pm -- The hibachi is somewhere in the back garage.  It's hot and dusty in there.

4:35 pm -- Well . . .  isn't there some kind of festival downtown involving music and food trucks?

4:36 pm -- BY GOLLY THAT'S RIGHT!!!!

5:00 pm -- Happily snarfing down BBQ pork sandwich and cole slaw.  Nice music, too.

• Love 8

I'm glad kitty is eating - and you, too. I hope things stay good with the kit.

Thank you, harrie.  She has ups and downs, but the only thing amiss revealed by the blood tests and ultrasound is a possible case of pancreatitis.  That’s something she basically has to suffer through (I’m giving fluids, Pepcid AC, and an anti-nausea to treat the symptoms and make her feel better, but there’s no real treatment for the disease itself), but if that is, in fact, all she has, she’ll come out on the other side of it good as new (well, good as a cat who’s at least 16 years old and has chronic kidney disease, but she was in great shape prior to this – she boggles her vets’ minds).  One day at a time with fingers crossed!

(Sorry to go on; I know this isn’t a pet forum.) 

For dinner, I’m not sure – I really need to go grocery shopping.  Some roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, definitely, but other than that I have no idea.  I have some lamb chops I can defrost … maybe those, especially since the garden is overflowing with rosemary and mint.

• Love 4

I often use EAT24 to order in. They have all sorts of restaurants with varying degrees of healthy meals including vegan. Depending on which town/state you live in the number of delivery style places vary but they are nationwide. If you sign up they email a discount voucher every weekend. http://www.eat24.com

• Love 1

I loooooove Eat24! They're not so good in the small-ish town where I live, but when I'm traveling for work (which tends to be to larger cities), I frequently use them to order in to my hotel room. Cheaper than room service's jacked-up prices, and a lot of variety to boot. And their weekend coupon emails are hilarious!

• Love 1

Yesterday was chicken tenders, mashed potatoes and green beans.

Tonight will be hot dogs, baked beans, fruit salad and lemon meringue pie (my grandmother's recipe).  And perhaps homemade lemonade?  Happy 4th of July everyone!

• Love 2

Wah.   I just popped into my favourite produce stand.  They have great, local stuff and I can get 2 big bags of goodness for about $15. They also have tasty "homestyle" baking.  (I refuse to call it homemade unless it's made in someone's house.).   They had 6 inch pies, and I picked up a strawberry rhubarb to go with/instead of dinner.   I just got home and realized I picked up the apple pie by mistake.  I hate apple pie.  

• Love 1

I had planned on having Slow Cooker Buttermilk Brined Chicken, but TPTB conspired against me.  I spent a good part of the afternoon in a hot attic trying to figure out where the leak was coming from in the upstairs bathroom.  Something from one of the a/c units, but could not locate where/what.  Turning off unit cured the problem until a/c guy can get out here tomorrow morning (he's out of town for the 4th and so was the back up guy).

The slow cooker chicken looked nothing like the gorgeous picture, but rather just like all other slow cooker chicken and it fell apart completely when I went to take it out.  It did not taste bad, just bland so I would need to do something else with it to salvage a meal.  After baking myself in the attic, I just wasn't up for it.

So Papa John's it was.

• Love 5