Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E12: Semifinals

• Start Topic

35 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

When Jenny can’t even guess her husband. To be fair, he was singing sort of on key for a change, but that was a LOT of Auto Tune.

I don’t believe for a second that she didn’t know it was her husband. She is not that good an actress.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Michichick said:

I don’t believe for a second that she didn’t know it was her husband. She is not that good an actress.

Strangely enough, I can.  She normally flies out from the Chicago area to film the show but the last 2 seasons she was required to stay in L.A. for the season.  He films Blue Bloods in New York but was filming on more weekends than normal this season and was spending other weekends in Boston to see his mother who was suffering from dementia (she died last month.)  

• Useful 4
  • Love 2

Yeti should have won, O’s performances have been overall more entertaining and enjoyable. Swan for the win is like repeating the last 2 seasons with Leann and Kandi, just the vocals to win and for me as a viewer, boring!

I am surprised, I thought for sure they were going to let Yeti win.  Personally I hate his voice.  But this just tells me that he had to go home to clear the way for a Chameleon win.  I don’t understand why all the judges are so enamoured of him.  He should have gone home weeks ago.  But he’s probably going to win to show that you don’t have to be a great singer to win.

I thought Yeti was better than Black Swan and Chameleon.  But Piglet is far and away the best singer left.  

I don’t buy for an instant that Jenny didn’t know that the Chicken was her husband.   She clearly knew.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, blackwing said:

don’t buy for an instant that Jenny didn’t know that the Chicken was her husband.   She clearly knew.

All of that faux falling to the floor kinda gave it away, didn't it?   

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, blackwing said:

I am surprised, I thought for sure they were going to let Yeti win.  Personally I hate his voice.  But this just tells me that he had to go home to clear the way for a Chameleon win.  I don’t understand why all the judges are so enamoured of him.  He should have gone home weeks ago.  But he’s probably going to win to show that you don’t have to be a great singer to win.

I have to think Chameleon is a fairly well known entertainment or sports celebrity they are holding onto for the big reveal in the last show, otherwise he should have been gone a long time ago.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, mtlchick said:

Strangely enough, I can.  She normally flies out from the Chicago area to film the show but the last 2 seasons she was required to stay in L.A. for the season.  He films Blue Bloods in New York but was filming on more weekends than normal this season and was spending other weekends in Boston to see his mother who was suffering from dementia (she died last month.)  

I don't believe Donny was there for every rooster appearance. You can put anyone in a costume and record a distorted voice. He could have just showed up for that performance and reveal. This show has become a big pack of lies.

• Useful 3
  • Love 13

Since the Black Swan said the word "bizarre" in her intro, I'm assuming it's got to be Jojo.  Don't know how the Chameleon is still in this competition but I'm guessing he's whichever athlete Darius Rucker said he was.  And Piglet is so obviously Nick Lachey that it's ridiculous.  

So here's a question I have about the show (this is the first season I've watched).  Why do they have everyone act as if their lives have been some great tragedy that they've had to recover from?  I mean, yes, the majority of contestants are minor stars or has-beens but sheesh, the way they have them do their intros always makes them sound so pathetic.  I just find it utterly strange.

• Love 3

I honestly think that Chameleon is an incredibly talented rapper. Doing what he does is so much harder than people realize. But, I feel like we hit a wall with his performances a couple of weeks back. It's hard to find rap songs that are engaging, well-known to the audience, family friendly or easy enough to edit, suited to the performer and that the show can clear. Oh Boy did fine on the charts but I don't think most people remember it. Drop It Like It's Hot is for Snoop only. No one else has the personality to make it work.

I'm a fan of Chameleon both masked and unmasked

Spoiler

because I'm pretty sure that's Wiz Khalifa

and I respect his talent but he should have gone home last night if not the week before.

Black Swan needs to make better song choices. This is the second week in a row where I didn't think her performance was a stand out. She's got a remarkable voice but she needs to pick her songs to create moments. Doing everything vocally isn't as impactful as doing a couple of things vocally at the right moment with the right song.

• Love 5

Vibeology, I agree with your spoiler on Chameleon.  I think he's a good rapper too but I think the last performance that I really liked was two or three weeks ago. 

I also agree that Black Swan needs to choose better songs.  Her performances have been uneven.  I hope Nick wins since I do like his voice the best.  I like when Omarion sang Justin's Lonely song but I really like that song too.  Listening to Omarion's Ice Box gave away Yeti for me.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, retired watcher said:

I don't believe Donny was there for every rooster appearance. You can put anyone in a costume and record a distorted voice. He could have just showed up for that performance and reveal. This show has become a big pack of lies.

That I will agree with.  They probably got some ideas from him to use as clues and recorded his voice and got someone roughly his height to show up until he could come in to do it.  I do believe that she didn’t know it was supposed to be him and I’m someone that absolutely can’t stand her, and got her husband at least partially sucked into her vaccination beliefs but the nkotb fan base constantly gives them a pass on it. 

Out of the 3 that are left, I want Nick Lachey….I mean, the Piglet to win. Black Swan should be flying away with this but isn’t and Chameleon is well past his welcome.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 2

I have guessed Nick Lachey as Piglet for awhile, but this week clinched it, sounded exactly like him. I hope he wins, he's been consistently one of the best singers. Sad to see Yeti go, he was really good as well, I have no clue why Chameleon is still around, he should have gotten voted out weeks ago. He's a good rapper but he just isn't good enough to get this far. I can only assume that he's someone kind of big and that's why they've kept him around way past his expiration date, he isn't anywhere as cool as the judges think he is. 

I don't think that Donnie has been wandering around set in a big ass chicken suite this whole time. This season is adding way too much random stuff to try and spice things up, its kind of exhausting. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Donnie Wahlberg has definitely not been there the whole time...when Jenny asked "were you flying in and out this whole time?" (Or something like that.) He was like "....yes. I have been here a bit doing some stuff...so anyway, surprise!" As others have said it's pretty easy to put someone in a costume and play the voiceover, which he could have done from anywhere. But it was cute and I'm no Jenny fan but they seem to be legitimately into each other which is nice.

Edited by Lilac2000
  • Love 3

Doesn't this show film within just a couple weeks' time? There were multiple episodes where the ladies were in the same outfits as the previous week, which I actually hadn't noticed in previous seasons.

But yeah as soon as Donnie started singing, I knew it was him. Maybe Jenny was thrown off by the song choice.

I really don't care who wins.

I was never a boy-band fan and if Piglet is one of the Lachey guys, I truly hate his vibrato that he can't sing anything without, not to mention that voice sounds so thin. I would've been fine if he'd been sent home weeks ago. 

Black Swan has had quite a few bad selections of songs and I feel like she's being kept in since she's the last female. I don't think a final 3 of 3 guys would go over very well.

Chameleon sure sounds like a successful rapper but the rappers that go on this show might want to consider singing something totally out of their wheelhouse. I easily get bored when someone sings only one type of song/music but if that's all they can do...

Omarion has a beautiful smile and came across as a very likeable person.

• Love 2

Jojo/ Swan has to pick a better song. I'm sure the options are limited since they can't repeat songs from previous seasons. But do En Vogue or literally any 90s female R&B and you will win! Ugh.

Omarion's costume was huge. That seemed like a torture device. He should have been in the final 3. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I was under the impression the show mostly picked the songs for them - or gave them choices out of a couple of options.

From what I understand, they get to pick a few songs, but the producers give them the rest.

12 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

From what I understand, they get to pick a few songs, but the producers give them the rest.

That sucks. They are really choosing terrible songs for Black Swan. Also, Hanson really only got that one Michael Jackson song to show their strengths. 

The music choices are weak af.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

1 hour ago, BoogieBurns said:

That sucks. They are really choosing terrible songs for Black Swan. Also, Hanson really only got that one Michael Jackson song to show their strengths. 

The music choices are weak af.

Which only strengthens my belief that this entire competition is kind of a sham... the producers have such a heavy hand in song choice which gets people eliminated, or the voting is a complete sham and they just make the elimination decisions themselves.  Look at what happened to Patti LaBelle.  She should have won the whole competition in Season 2 but they saddled her with "Eye of the Tiger" which was completely unsuited to her voice and style.

The fact that Chameleon has gotten rap songs to sing every single time leads me to say he is already the anointed winner.  Why are the producers treating him with kid gloves and giving him songs that are right in his wheelhouse?  Frankly, I find every performance of his utterly boring.  He just stands there and raps.  Imagine if the producers had given him "Against All Odds" instead of giving it to Piglet?  There would be zero justification for keeping him in the show because he would have been terrible.  But they don't want him eliminated, so every week they have given him a rap song.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

Which only strengthens my belief that this entire competition is kind of a sham... the producers have such a heavy hand in song choice which gets people eliminated, or the voting is a complete sham and they just make the elimination decisions themselves.  Look at what happened to Patti LaBelle.  She should have won the whole competition in Season 2 but they saddled her with "Eye of the Tiger" which was completely unsuited to her voice and style.

The fact that Chameleon has gotten rap songs to sing every single time leads me to say he is already the anointed winner.  Why are the producers treating him with kid gloves and giving him songs that are right in his wheelhouse?  Frankly, I find every performance of his utterly boring.  He just stands there and raps.  Imagine if the producers had given him "Against All Odds" instead of giving it to Piglet?  There would be zero justification for keeping him in the show because he would have been terrible.  But they don't want him eliminated, so every week they have given him a rap song.

They’re not going to give a rapper something to sing just like they’ve never given a professional singer something to rap. Because yes, Chameleon could not sing Against All Odds but I’m just as certain that Piglet could never rap Drop It Like It’s Hot.

I think a rapper is the one at a disadvantage song selection wise. A rapper has to work with just the rap songs the show can clear. A singer can do pop, r&b, country etc. It’s a bigger pool of songs. 

5 hours ago, blackwing said:

Which only strengthens my belief that this entire competition is kind of a sham... the producers have such a heavy hand in song choice which gets people eliminated, or the voting is

I’m am done with reality competition TV shows where producers are manipulating the outcome - it is really getting old and ridiculous. When competition based reality TV shows have an obvious predetermined outcome, then what is the point of even pretending to watch?  
Well, cooking competitions are an exception since “taste of vision” has yet to be a reality (I would like to taste awesome food where no calories are involved).

• Love 1

For me, the show is designed for entertainment and laughs. The singing is just a part of it, but not the real goal.  For me, creating the mystery is the appeal.  Do you really think the contestants feel slighted when they leave?  I would think they are prepaid for that.