Type keyword(s) to search

Nitpicking

• Start Topic

As the Rory&Jess relationship unfolded, I always saw the young Lorelai&Chris one as similar. They hung out because their families did. They ended up with a lot in common and connected on that level.

If Lorelai wasn't sleeping with anyone else in the weeks before Rory's conception, she would know but doubt would explain Chris's parents attitude a bit more. 

42 minutes ago, steff13 said:

When Lorelai and Luke first got together, Luke immediately had to leave to help Liz and TJ because they had broken an arm and a leg each.   He left Lorelai a message about it.  Upon returning his call, Lorelai didn't bother to enquire about what happened to Liz and TJ.  I know Lorelai is self-absorbed, but damn, your newly-minted boyfriend's sister and BIL are injured and you don't bother to ask what happened?

In the episode when Luke and Lorelai get back together, Kirk expresses to Luke that he wants to have a relationship with Lulu with "sleepovers," but he can't because his mother is allergic to Lulu.  Why can't he sleep over with Lulu?  She's an adult with a job, she probably also has a place to live.  

Right on both occasions and even more, Kirk and Lulu had even more strange things since they were in the 40s and then talked about having kids after being married for almost 8 years? Ummm... huh?

Ok, Emily.

Are you over paella bc it's been overdone or are you charmed and excited by it?

Also, no time before June 3 to have dinner with Luke?  Wrong. In fact, Yale graduation ceremonies in 2006 were in MAY.  Same night you are setting up Chris and Emily's roommate's daughter and eating the much maligned paella.

• Love 1

The writers don't really understand how the DAR works.  When you apply you have to send verification of a relationship to Revolutionary War Patriot; that's two pieces of documentation per ancestor, starting with yourself and working back to the Patriot.  It's all notarized and sent to Washington, DC, where someone at the main office authenticates it.  If they verify it and you pay your dues, you're in.  There's no interview panel like in the new episodes. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, steff13 said:

The writers don't really understand how the DAR works.  When you apply you have to send verification of a relationship to Revolutionary War Patriot; that's two pieces of documentation per ancestor, starting with yourself and working back to the Patriot.  It's all notarized and sent to Washington, DC, where someone at the main office authenticates it.  If they verify it and you pay your dues, you're in.  There's no interview panel like in the new episodes. 

Yup.

My wife is in the DAR.

I nitpicked this in revival.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, steff13 said:

When Lorelai and Luke first got together, Luke immediately had to leave to help Liz and TJ because they had broken an arm and a leg each.   He left Lorelai a message about it.  Upon returning his call, Lorelai didn't bother to enquire about what happened to Liz and TJ.  I know Lorelai is self-absorbed, but damn, your newly-minted boyfriend's sister and BIL are injured and you don't bother to ask what happened?

Luke told her on the phone message.

Why ask again?

9 minutes ago, stan4 said:

Luke told her on the phone message.

Why ask again?

He said they'd broken an arm and a leg each.  He didn't say how they did it.  You wouldn't be interested in how someone and their spouse had each broken an arm and a leg?  I would be.  

29 minutes ago, steff13 said:

He said they'd broken an arm and a leg each.  He didn't say how they did it.  You wouldn't be interested in how someone and their spouse had each broken an arm and a leg?  I would be.  

They got in a "little accident" and each broke something.

As someone who does trauma for a living, MVA is the clear implication.

3 minutes ago, steff13 said:

Maybe it was a jousting accident. 

Hee!  Can't you just see TJ in armor?  He'd probably wear it backward. But with tights underneath. 

He really loved those tights....

• Love 1

The “paint” (non-)date. 

When Lorelai was caught after she finished painting the diner, she said the bread man let her in. 

The sun was up, and Luke hadn’t been in the diner that night for long enough for her to paint it.

Luke’s early deliveries were on the order of 5 a.m. or later. The diner opened early, at 6 a.m. maybe. 

How could one person move all the furniture, remove the massive amounts of tchotchkes on the shelves, paint in three colors and be completely done by the time Luke came in.

I fanwank that Luke was so ticked off or heartbroken that he went to Sniffy’s and spent the night. 

But how could she do that work in such a short time? The miracle of Stars Hollow time, kinda like Brigadoon?

And don’t even get me started about how she could stir all that paint and do a professional looking job, when a later season she couldn’t stir at all. 

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, junienmomo said:

But how could she do that work in such a short time? The miracle of Stars Hollow time, kinda like Brigadoon?

My eyes always spin in their sockets on this one.  As a person who takes an entire day or two to paint a single bedroom this was beyond ridiculous for all of the excellent points you mention.  Carpal tunnel from stirring a sauce but painting that huge room by hand without an issue?  Puh-leeze.

• Love 2
On 3/4/2018 at 5:55 PM, stan4 said:

Yup.

My wife is in the DAR.

I nitpicked this in revival.

My mother-in-law has a friend who is too and I know three who are in it. They have picked the show apart constantly for the portray. Plus, I also hated how Emily said: "We saw your pre-nub, we passed it around and laughed." No, you can't do that and if the lawyer who had it organized did that, he be both out of a job and have his license revoked. You can't just share information like that. Like when shows go: "Because we were investigating a person, we had their unsealed records open." No, that doesn't work either, once they are sealed, they are sealed. 

8 hours ago, readster said:

"We saw your pre-nub, we passed it around and laughed." No, you can't do that and if the lawyer who had it organized did that, he be both out of a job and have his license revoked. You can't just share information like that. Like when shows go: "Because we were investigating a person, we had their unsealed records open." No, that doesn't work either, once they are sealed, they are sealed. 

Unless the husband was the one who showed it to them.

8 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Unless the husband was the one who showed it to them.

Why would he show a pre-nup to a bunch of gossipy old biddies?  Oh, wait, this is ASPland where logic flies out the window.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Why would he show a pre-nup to a bunch of gossipy old biddies?  Oh, wait, this is ASPland where logic flies out the window.

Well, he obviously married someone he was pretty sure was marrying him just for his money, if he bothered with a (in Emily's words) ridiculous pre-nup.  So, it wouldn't surprise me in the least.  Although, he probably shared it with their hubbies, not with the "gossipy old biddies."  And the husbands shared with the wives.  I can actually see it.  "Hee, hee.  I got this hot young girl to marry me AND protected my assets.  Can you believe this bimbo actually signed this? She gets nothing if we divorce.  NOTHING."  Maniacal laughter.  

• Love 3
(edited)

Yeah.   All this driving back and forth from Harford to Yale or Yale to Hartford like it takes no time at all is poppycock.  Let's forget that student parking at any big university is never easy to get to.  But then add a 45 minute drive (in the best conditions).  You want me to believe that Rory would drive all the way to Hartford from Yale to have a cocktail with her grandparents and then just up and leave and go back to Yale to take Logan out for graduation?  ON A FRIDAY EVENING?!  I can't get anywhere Friday starting about 3pm until close to 8 bc traffic is nonsense right before the weekend starts.

Not to mention now we're supposed to believe she's going to Yale and working in Stamford (another hour-away type town)?  

I'm sensitive to this tripe bc of all the commuting I have to do all over the DFW metroplex.  And we have multiple north-south and east-west choices.  Unlike in CT.  And it's still a nightmare to go 10 miles the wrong time of day.  Let alone FORTY miles.

Edited by stan4
  • Love 1

Lane's bachelorette party - Sookie baked dirty cookies for the bachelorette gift bags, and they expanded in the oven, due to too much yeast.  I've never come across a cookie recipe that requires yeast; certainly not a basic sugar cookie like those were likely to be. 

• Love 6
6 hours ago, steff13 said:

Lane's bachelorette party - Sookie baked dirty cookies for the bachelorette gift bags, and they expanded in the oven, due to too much yeast.  I've never come across a cookie recipe that requires yeast; certainly not a basic sugar cookie like those were likely to be. 

Yeah, that made no sense. Even being Sookie, yeast in a cookie? Seriously?

5 hours ago, steff13 said:

Yes, and being that these were cutout cookies, they wouldn't have yeast.  Any amount of yeast is going to make the dough rise, which would distort the shape of the cookie.

Hence force, it made no sense. 

• Love 1

In Nag Hammadi, when Jess is having his car pushed, there is a traffic jam of honking cars.

The streets are wet (implying recent precipitation or snow that has melted).  There is dirty snow in the gutters.  Yet every car is pristinely shiny clean.

There is even a shot of a car with snow on the bottom of the rear window...which is also otherwise clean and shiny.

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, stan4 said:

Yet every car is pristinely shiny clean.

That kind of stuff always make me stabby.  Like episodes that are supposed to be in the fall but every leaf of every tree is green except one or two where they have stapled some colored construction paper leaves.  Or a car that was in an accident that makes a miraculous recovery, with every dent and scratch, cured almost immediately.

When I do see something more realistic, it really stands out.  Not sure if there are Longmire fans in this group but the cars were dirty, the Sheriff drove round in a dented car for a few episodes after an accident,  and the windshields had bugs on them as expected when driving around on dusty dirty roads.

But I have to admit they do make an effort with the falling snow scenes in GG being fairly realistic at times.  It doesn't appear to be shredded sytrofoam.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

That kind of stuff always make me stabby.  

Like the empty coffee cups and empty luggage?  That's like in every show.  Makes me nuts.  Shouldn't the actors, I dunno, ACT like there is stuff in there?

I also get annoyed that everyone always has perfect hair and new, ironed clothes at all times.  Even pjs aren't wrinkled.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, stan4 said:

In Nag Hammadi, when Jess is having his car pushed, there is a traffic jam of honking cars.

The streets are wet (implying recent precipitation or snow that has melted).  There is dirty snow in the gutters.  Yet every car is pristinely shiny clean.

There is even a shot of a car with snow on the bottom of the rear window...which is also otherwise clean and shiny.

Well, what you didn't see was the car wash right around the corner that all the cars had just come out of.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Katy M said:

Well, what you didn't see was the car wash right around the corner that all the cars had just come out of.

Must have 2 exits bc the cars were going both ways. :)

In the beginning of Raincoats and Recipes, Lorelai uses a chair to trap Rory in her room.  No.  Rory's door opens in.  You can't use a chair from the outside to hold it closed.

Also, the Dragonfly's first reservation was May 8.  In 2004, this is a Saturday.  That means the shakedown took place May 1.  That was ONE WEEK AFTER Rory's final exam (she was a "Saturday orphan" - presumably the last day of finals).  Yale does not do finals in April.  It does it the first couple of weeks in May.

Edited by stan4
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, stan4 said:

The streets are wet (implying recent precipitation or snow that has melted).  There is dirty snow in the gutters.  Yet every car is pristinely shiny clean

The roads in Stars Hollow are ALWAYS wet, it bothers me for an unknown reason. I’m guessing that it films better. Can someone else watch a verify this so I don’t feel crazy?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, CheeseBurgh said:

The roads in Stars Hollow are ALWAYS wet, it bothers me for an unknown reason. I’m guessing that it films better. Can someone else watch a verify this so I don’t feel crazy?

No.  I just noticed it in another episode that was supposedly in the winter-ish time.

Melted snow?

I know it was probably just to give the audience information on Christopher. But I was thinking how really weird that scene is with Sookie and Lorelai talking about Christopher. Its like they never talked about him before. I can see her not talking to the rest of the town about him but there's no way Lorelai and Sookie wouldn't have had talk about Christopher probably many times. She would have known about all the times Lorelai and Rory met up with him since she and Lorelai became friends. She would have know how many times Christopher has let Rory down. Her reaction really should have similar to Lorelai's.          

Edited by andromeda331
  • Love 3

This is a super petty nitpick, but talking about Christopher made me think....

I don't remember the episode, but it's a few after Gigi had her feral hyena meltdown and Lorelai's house and Lorelai told Chris, very frankly, that he needs to get a handle on the kid. So Chris calls her, or she calls him (can't remember) and Lorelai remarks on how quiet it is at his house. She asks if it's nap time and he says, "Not until 4 o'clock, my friend!" Who puts a kid DOWN for a nap at 4 in the afternoon? What, so they can sleep until dinner time and be up until midnight? That's insane! 

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I don't remember the episode, but it's a few after Gigi had her feral hyena meltdown and Lorelai's house and Lorelai told Chris, very frankly, that he needs to get a handle on the kid. So Chris calls her, or she calls him (can't remember) and Lorelai remarks on how quiet it is at his house. She asks if it's nap time and he says, "Not until 4 o'clock, my friend!" Who puts a kid DOWN for a nap at 4 in the afternoon? What, so they can sleep until dinner time and be up until midnight? That's insane! 

I know what you mean. Nap time would be 1 or 2. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, readster said:

I know what you mean. Nap time would be 1 or 2. 

I never took naps after the age of two, so I wouldn't really know, but wouldn't it all depend on the individual kid's schedule and their own individual circadian rhythm?  And, how long is a nap?  Like an hour?  Maybe that makes her manageable for dinner.

5 hours ago, ghoulina said:

My wife won't let our kid nap if she doesn't go down before 2 because then she'll be up at 10pm and the next morning will be hell on everyone.  Nap at 4 is ludicrous, especially if she is going to school the next morning.  Kids her age need 10-11 hours of sleep a night.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, stan4 said:

My wife won't let our kid nap if she doesn't go down before 2 because then she'll be up at 10pm and the next morning will be hell on everyone.  Nap at 4 is ludicrous, especially if she is going to school the next morning.  Kids her age need 10-11 hours of sleep a night.

Yup! I may be a horrible mother, but I put my kids down around 1 and I would wake them if they were still asleep at 4. Otherwise I'd never get them down at night. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Katy M said:

I never took naps after the age of two, so I wouldn't really know, but wouldn't it all depend on the individual kid's schedule and their own individual circadian rhythm?  And, how long is a nap?  Like an hour?  Maybe that makes her manageable for dinner.

My daughter was a napper.  When she was 4 (I think that's around the age of Gigi), she was napping once a day starting around 1:00 or 2:00. Her naps usually lasted 2 hours. For what it's worth, it is recommended that kids who are 4 need 10-14 hours of sleep a day. So, for my daughter, she was asleep at 7:00 and up at 6:30, napping around 1 or 2 for 2 hours.  Gigi might have been 3. I that's the case, she needs an hour more sleep.  A nap at 4:00 would not really work for a child that age if you wanted to her to go to bed at a decent hour and get enough sleep.

Of course, most children, much like adults, aren't getting the recommended hours of sleep.

Edited by BlancheDevoreaux
  • Love 2
On 3/17/2018 at 6:05 PM, stan4 said:

Also, the Dragonfly's first reservation was May 8.  In 2004, this is a Saturday.  That means the shakedown took place May 1.  That was ONE WEEK AFTER Rory's final exam (she was a "Saturday orphan" - presumably the last day of finals).  Yale does not do finals in April.  It does it the first couple of weeks in May.

This has always made me crazy as well. The timeline just doesn't make sense! No university that runs on semesters would have finals in April. 

3 minutes ago, sara416 said:

This has always made me crazy as well. The timeline just doesn't make sense! No university that runs on semesters would have finals in April. 

We had finals the last week of April.  IIRC, our semesters went from the last week of August through the second (?) week of December.  And our second semester went from January through the last week of April with a week off for Spring break.

4 hours ago, Katy M said:

We had finals the last week of April.  IIRC, our semesters went from the last week of August through the second (?) week of December.  And our second semester went from January through the last week of April with a week off for Spring break.

Yeah.  But Yale's doesn't.  Neither did mine.  

So Rory goes to see a hockey game in Face/Off and remarks something like, "So this is what sports is" or something like that.  Dean is there playing.

So you dated this guy 2 years and never watched him play sports or engage in other sports-related activities?  I don't count the softball games because those were not set up with the snack bar, etc, but still...

• Love 3
1 hour ago, stan4 said:

Yeah.  But Yale's doesn't.  Neither did mine.  

Fine, but I was replying to the post that said no college did.  And, I don't think it's that big of a deal if the show doesn't follow Yale's exact schedule.  It's not that far-fetched for finals to have been the last week of April.  

So, I know Emily has the manners of a coked out chimp, but “Wedding Bell Blues” is on, and...isn’t it the height of rudeness to have a shower/bachelorette party attended by people who didn’t merit an invitation to the actual event? I know Lorelai had to call her own friends because the party was sprung on her last minute, but as the bride, wasn’t Emily supposed to provide a list of guests for wedding activities to Lorelai?

• Love 2