Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E05: Tucker Carlson

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

As always, watch, then post. No personal politics.  

• Start Topic

Main Topic: Tucker Carlson 

Also:  Reactions to Meghan & Harry's interview; Andrew Cuomo's not part of the political club;  $1.9 trillion American Rescue Fund; local news bothers 100 year old women on their birthdays 

Original air date 2021.03.14 

"Nobody has done more for people of color than the royal family." LMFAO, wow. That is certainly...a take. 

I don't want to hear any whining about the stimulus bill from a party that's supported insurrectionists and denied the virus was a thing for the better part of the past year. Zip it, Republicans. 

Tucker running for president? No. Dear sweet fucking God, NO. Let's not even try and speak that idea into existence. And "I don't even know what that means"-yeah, I get the feeling you don't know what a lot of things mean, Tucker. His facial expression always implies he's really confused about something. His reaction to Omar's "dismantling the system" comments compared to how he talked about the insurrectionists (who, you know, actually DID try to dismantle things in a very violent way, up to and including trying to murder government officials) is so incredibly telling. 

He's just a total creep. Jon Stewart smacked you down on national TV years ago, Carlson. That should've been your clue to go away and hide somewhere where nobody had to listen to your nonsense ever again. He absolutely should not have a platform of any sort ever again. 

• Love 15

I’m used to two minutes on Tucker with a pointed preppie epithet. Hearing his BS the whole segment was *shudder*

What was this week’s intro graphic? It was “Snackus Maximus” with what looked like someone feeding a man a large cookie—I don’t know what it referred to.

Loved the 100 year old lady whose future aspiration is “breathing”!

• Love 3

One of the actual enjoyable parts of the last year has been the reporters broadcasting from home. My favorite is the weather lady who said “he’s walking now and I’ve lost all control.” I’m glad those clips got a shout-out.

No surprise Ollie went after Carlson since his wife is a veteran but it was an excellent shellacking all the same. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, ahisma said:

What was this week’s intro graphic? It was “Snackus Maximus” with what looked like someone feeding a man a large cookie—I don’t know what it referred to.

That was Lady Gaga feeding Adam Driver a pastry on the set of their new movie "House of Gucci". Fabulous.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1

"Nobody has done more for people of color than the royal family." LMFAO, wow. That is certainly...a take. 

Not a surprising one, considering it comes from Nigel Farage. That guy is known for using racist sentiments to further his career, and being a world class BS peddler. He once told an EU politician  "Who are you? I'd never heard of you, nobody in Europe had ever heard of you." Said EU politician was a former Primeminister of Belgium.

• Love 5

Regarding Tucker Carlson I am always surprised that so many people are listening to a guy who has a constant expression of "stupid" on his face. Like, he could recite higher math correctly and I would be convinced that he is wrong about what he just said because he face constantly says "I have no clue what I am talking about".

• Love 14

I'm all for dunking on Tucker Carlson, but did anyone actually learn anything new from what was shown?

9 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I mean... if you go to the trouble of conquering a quarter of the world, you might as well protect your investment.

• Love 1

Fact checking Tucker is a losing game, John essentially admitted that. All KKK members watch his show, but not all  his viewers are KKK members...yet. Tucker is radicalizing his audience...he has more power now than he could wield as POTUS.

• Love 3

I guess the point of the segment was mostly to take apart the methods Tucker uses to distract his audience from the main points. It's fairly obvious for people who have already realised what Tucker really is, but maybe it will prevent other people falling for his tricks.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, swanpride said:

Not a surprising one, considering it comes from Nigel Farage. That guy is known for using racist sentiments to further his career, and being a world class BS peddler. He once told an EU politician  "Who are you? I'd never heard of you, nobody in Europe had ever heard of you." Said EU politician was a former Primeminister of Belgium.

Ah, that's who that is? Okay, then. I've heard a bit about him here and there, yeah. That quote you shared is....yeesh, too. How did the politician respond? 

2 hours ago, Brandi Maxxxx said:

I'm all for dunking on Tucker Carlson, but did anyone actually learn anything new from what was shown?

Well, the backstory on his early years and those early clips of him were certainly illuminating and new to me. 

Incidentally, John mentioned Tucker going on that Bubba the Love Sponge's show a number of years back, and among all the horrific things Tucker said on that show, there was this, that John hadn't mentioned:

He also minimizes the crimes of then-Most Wanted fugitive Warren Jeffs, who arranged illegal marriages between his adult male followers in the FLDS Church and underage girls in Utah. “[A]rranging a marriage between a 16-year-old and a 27-year-old is not the same as pulling a stranger off the street and raping her,” he says on the tape. “That’s bullsh–t.”

https://tvline.com/2019/03/10/tucker-carlson-no-apology-sexist-offensive-radio-call-in/

Because only someone like Tucker would look at a case like that of Warren Jeffs and decide that he should side with and defend...the pedophile cult leader. 

1 hour ago, paigow said:

Fact checking Tucker is a losing game, John essentially admitted that. All KKK members watch his show, but not all  his viewers are KKK members...yet. Tucker is radicalizing his audience...he has more power now than he could wield as POTUS.

That's the thing, yeah-some people watch his show and other controversial shows of that sort not because they agree with the stuff being said, but because they need to see for themselves just what kinds of horrible things the people will say next. Life's too short for me to get my blood pressure up like that, but for some people, hate-watching is a thing. Though I do think the amount of people who hate-watch Tucker is significantly smaller than the amount of people who watch because they agree with him.

There's also the fact that in the case of Fox News as a whole, there are some public places where they'll have it on in the background, so that no doubt adds to the viewership numbers to some degree as well 😕 I've heard about how some military bases and whatnot will have it on as well, which, considering the sorts of stuff Tucker says, is...terrifying on so many levels. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Useful 4
  • Love 3

Tucker Carlson. UGH! A loathsome individual who can make one appreciate his predecessor, Bill O'Reilly. I'm surprised Ollie never even used the clip of Jon Stewart eating Carlson's lunch when he was on Crossfire. If Carlson's smart, he'll keep his mouth shut and not bring this up on his show, lest Ollie carves him up some more!

• Love 11

Btw, the guy shown in the beginning with the "nobody has done more" line is basically the Tucker Carlson of the Brits, except that he doesn't have an own show (anymore, he had an LBC Radio show for a while) but "just" turns up in every possible show. Therefore it is very apt that he turned up at the beginning. Farage also uses similar tricks.

• Useful 2

Ah, that's who that is? Okay, then. I've heard a bit about him here and there, yeah. That quote you shared is....yeesh, too. How did the politician respond? 

Very classy: "There was one contribution that I can only hold in contempt, but I'm not going to comment further." Also, after he refused to apologize, Farage got his allowance docked for ten days as a punishment by Jerzy Burzek, who was back then the President of the European Parliament….naturally Farage played the victim and insisted that he wasn't abusive, "just right", but there was actually no repeat performance. I mean, not that he didn't continue to accuse the institution of the EU of everything under the sun, but he was more careful with attacking on such a personal level. I am ready to bet though that next to nobody in parliament is missing his nonsense.

Really, if you know Farage (and it is hard to not know him when you care about British politics) his remark is right in line of what you would expect of him.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Very classy: "There was one contribution that I can only hold in contempt, but I'm not going to comment further." Also, after he refused to apologize, Farage got his allowance docked for ten days as a punishment by Jerzy Burzek, who was back then the President of the European Parliament….naturally Farage played the victim and insisted that he wasn't abusive, "just right", but there was actually no repeat performance. I mean, not that he didn't continue to accuse the institution of the EU of everything under the sun, but he was more careful with attacking on such a personal level. I am ready to bet though that next to nobody in parliament is missing his nonsense.

Really, if you know Farage (and it is hard to not know him when you care about British politics) his remark is right in line of what you would expect of him.

Nice. Good response from the politician. The less fuel you can give them, the better. And I'm glad Farage actually faced some consequence for his idiocy, too. 

I appreciate the info on this Farage guy. I've heard his name pop up in regards to some of the types of people who support him, and based off the rhetoric they themselves spout, yeah, it's not surprising they'd flock to someone like him as a result. It's just horrifying to realize how much power people like him have, or have had. 

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, swanpride said:

Btw, the guy shown in the beginning with the "nobody has done more" line is basically the Tucker Carlson of the Brits, except that he doesn't have an own show (anymore, he had an LBC Radio show for a while) but "just" turns up in every possible show. Therefore it is very apt that he turned up at the beginning. Farage also uses similar tricks.

His radio show gave us this memorable exchange with a caller:

"I've gotta say, I'm immensely grateful to you for everything you've done in British politics over the last few years. I used to be an ardent Remainer- I voted to remain, I believed in the European Project, I believed that staying in the European Union was the best thing for us. And then something monumental happened. It completely changed my opinion on the whole situation."
"What was that monumental thing, Mark?"
"I was kicked in the head by a horse."

• LOL 5

For insight into Tucker Carlson's upbringing, watch the HBO limited series "The Lady and the Dale." Carlson's father plays a big part in that story. Kind of made me realize why his son turned out the way he did.

• Useful 2
18 hours ago, Annber03 said:

And "I don't even know what that means"-yeah, I get the feeling you don't know what a lot of things mean, Tucker

I mean, I'd say that what Tucker doesn't know could fill an Amazon warehouse, except for the slight problem that what Tucker doesn't know could fill the literal Amazon.

I'm also in the "this was fun, but I didn't learn anything new" camp.

Edited by SnideAsides
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

Like the rest of you, I have no idea why John thought some Britney Spears clip (which I'd never heard of) was the defining Tucker moment, instead of this:

And that footage at the end of John's show must have been Tucker's audition reel for Dancing with the Stars, where, of course, he proceeded to sit in a chair while his partner danced around him, and was voted off first.  Mercifully, the chair routine was less painful to watch.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

Tucker Carlson. UGH! A loathsome individual who can make one appreciate his predecessor, Bill O'Reilly. I'm surprised Ollie never even used the clip of Jon Stewart eating Carlson's lunch when he was on Crossfire. If Carlson's smart, he'll keep his mouth shut and not bring this up on his show, lest Ollie carves him up some more!

45 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

Like the rest of you, I have no idea why John thought some Britney Spears clip (which I'd never heard of) was the defining Tucker moment, instead of this:

And that footage at the end of John's show must have been Tucker's audition reel for Dancing with the Stars, where, of course, he proceeded to sit in a chair while his partner danced around him, and was voted off first.  Mercifully, the chair routine was less painful to watch.

Jon Stewart hurt him so badly on that episode of Crossfire it made Tucker stop wearing bowties.

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Popples said:
9 hours ago, Victor the Crab said:

2 hours ago, meowmommy said:

Read more  

Jon Stewart hurt him so badly on that episode of Crossfire it made Tucker stop wearing bowties.

My favorite part of that evisceration is when Carlson orders Jon to "be funny!" and Jon stops what he was saying and sneers "No. I'm not going to be your monkey". 

• Love 7

A few weeks ago, The Daily Show did a "profile" on Tucker Carlson. With all due respect to Desi Lydic, I think John did a better job. It does help that he can cuss, though I'm willing to bet he held off on maximum Tucker abuse until this episode. We know that he's a shit heel, but we need to be reminded why he's a shit heel. The bit about being a TV Dinner scion was news to me. As was the "most 2000s interview" with Britney Spears.

Bottom line: Tucker sucks. If you want to meet a Tucker you can love, there's always this guy.

I'm guessing Harry will be referenced as "Meghan's unemployed husband" for the forseeable future.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 5
On 3/15/2021 at 1:56 PM, iMonrey said:

For insight into Tucker Carlson's upbringing, watch the HBO limited series "The Lady and the Dale." Carlson's father plays a big part in that story. Kind of made me realize why his son turned out the way he did.

^^^^THIS^^^^

I was actually a little disappointed that John didn't delve into this a bit. While it is a bit salacious, it says a LOT that his dad basically had a thing for outing trans women (not just the main character from The Lady and the Dale, but also Renee Richards) and that his son basically repeats word for word some of his dad's worst trans talking points.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
On 3/15/2021 at 11:56 AM, iMonrey said:

I came in to say that. When they did the reveal, I did the Home Alone face. 

I liked the fork fact best because it was so detailed and esoteric. I love when someone tries to make a glib take and there is a detailed account refuting it. Not that it's going to do anything in a larger context, but still. 

• Love 5
8 hours ago, swanpride said:

While it is interesting, I don't think that this was the point of the segment. The point was not to explain why Tucker is the way he is, but why he is a real danger to American society.

But I think its important to know that unlike some others who seem to be opportunists, that Carlson has been steeped in this level of ignorance and isn't someone that can be educated or redeemed. He's a true believer and that's part of what makes him a danger.

• Love 4

I don’t follow Tucker Carlson, and what I’ve seen of him of late seems pretty vile.  However, didn’t he used to have a show on MSNBC where he railed heavily against the Bush administration?  It just made me wonder whether he just dances to the tune the network is playing, or if he really believes most of what he is pushing.  I am seriously asking because I might be remembering wrong since I was not a big purveyor of news during the Bush days. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Fable said:

However, didn’t he used to have a show on MSNBC where he railed heavily against the Bush administration?

He did have a show on MSNBC. His views are more libertarian and isolationist than Bush’s more conventional internationalism and conservatism, so I imagine that would describe his differences.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/15/2021 at 1:56 PM, iMonrey said:

Just finished watching this and wow. his dad was a garbage fire. utterly disgusting person.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Rlb8031 said:

But I think its important to know that unlike some others who seem to be opportunists, that Carlson has been steeped in this level of ignorance and isn't someone that can be educated or redeemed. He's a true believer and that's part of what makes him a danger.

Yup! Rupert Murdoch knew what he was doing when he put Carlson in that prime 8:00PM time slot, and why he'll never replace him, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, and their ilk, unless it's something damaging that got the disgraced Bill O'Reilly fired.

2 hours ago, buttercupia said:

Just finished watching this and wow. his dad was a garbage fire. utterly disgusting person.

What I discovered recently was that Tucker's dad's name was Dick. Which is funny because Jon Stewart left a big mark on him after he called him a dick on that infamous Crossfire episode!

• Love 3