Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E11: Strutting Peacock and Father O'Leary

jewel21

Bonnie takes it personally when her new sponsee, Rod, gets inspiration from Adam instead of her. Also, Jill trades barbs with a worthy opponent.

Airdate: 03/11/2021

Just now, jewel21 said:

Airdate: 03/11/2021

Oh god. If Adam is giving him bad advice because Adam doesn’t have the mindset of an addict, sure, ask him to step back, but if it’s because Bonnie feels needy? No, refer him to a male sponsor, Bonnie!

We have so little time left with these characters, and of all the people they could bring back, they give us more of Rod? I don't find him remotely funny or likeable.

And then of course he's romantically entangled with Jill, because that seems to be a prerequisite for any man on the show who isn't Adam.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

We have so little time left with these characters, and of all the people they could bring back, they give us more of Rod? I don't find him remotely funny or likeable.

LOL, I didn't even know he's been on the show before!   I have zero recollection of this person.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

LOL, I didn't even know he's been on the show before!   I have zero recollection of this person.

If you didn't see the previous episode with him, you didn't miss much.

He showed up at a meeting, and Bonnie boasted that she'd had a one-night stand with him in the '80s. When he didn't remember her, she proceeded to harass him endlessly.

Finally the other women convinced her to make amends to him and apologize, and when she did, he was so impressed that he decided he wanted her as a sponsor. And then she realized she'd actually slept with his bandmate, not him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

He showed up at a meeting, and Bonnie boasted that she'd had a one-night stand with him in the '80s. When he didn't remember her, she proceeded to harass him endlessly.

Finally the other women convinced her to make amends to him and apologize, and when she did, he was so impressed that he decided he wanted her as a sponsor. And then she realized she'd actually slept with his bandmate, not him.

Such a ridiculous premise.  LOL.  Oh Bonnie.  Then again I didn't remember the entire thing either 😁

• LOL 1

I actually liked Rod's story with Adam.  I thought it was interesting that Bonnie was trying to be as helpful as she could be but even so, might not be what Rod needs.

But then they ruined it with the predictable Jill/Rod hookup.  It even turned what I liked and felt sincere about the episode (Rod realizes he performs with women) turned into something that felt like a manipulative tactic when he did it with Jill. 

• Love 6

Oh goody. More of the Bonnie and Jill Show. I do not understand why the writers have not taken the opportunity to turn this into an ensemble show. Just more of Bonnie getting butt hurt over some imagined slight and Jill looking for a man. I ff through most of the show. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Blakeston said:

The only redeeming part of that was Bonnie coming to realize that her I slept with a rock star story was really one of she'd been a forgettable groupie of some nothing band that no one had ever heard of.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I enjoyed this episode. I love when they show more of Adam (whoopsie!) interacting with the group. And I like Rod. He's fun!  (I live with me mum.) I hope his mum shows up again, I rather liked her in his initial episode.

I am very sad there are only a few more episodes of this show left. I definitely need more of all of the characters and their stories and they do seem to be focusing entirely on Bonnie and Adam and Jill, but even so, I'm enjoying those stories.  I will definitely miss this show when it is done. 😞 

• Love 9

I’m over this show but I thought the scene  with Rod and Jill was a good one until they had them go predictable with the hook up.  Then I just rolled my eyes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I love Allison Janney but Bonnie is my least favorite character.  I really miss Christy.  I'm enjoying the reruns I've been recording from past seasons much more than the current season.  And instead of giving us a not very good episode with this Rod character, why can't we get a good episode focusing on Wendy?!

• Love 7

The continuing adventures of Bonnie the narcissist raging completely unchecked or without any real pushback are becoming less and less interesting to me. Christy was an effective counterbalance to her in ways that Adam or even Marjorie just aren't, and the lack of it is affecting the show's entire energy and timing. Rod wasn't a character I would have said we particularly needed to see again, but his scenes with Adam were really quite good and painfully honest. It felt believable that someone like him has trouble knowing how to be real with anyone because he's always "performing." I've known people who drank because it seemed to be the only time they could ever really feel anything like that.

So this is how they're going to go out with Jill, huh? No growth, no insight into what caused her to basically run off the last person she had something real with? Just a predicable bickering until a hookup thing with the first available man who isn't Adam.

It's good Adam finds so much humor to mine in the insanity that is life with Bonnie because at times it really comes off as just exhausting.

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

I'm willing to see where they take Rod and Jill. I guess it was not meant as a random hook-up at this point in the show. It could get interesting.

I know Bonnie's a lot but she did come around in the end as she usually does nowadays. And that's not something she'd have done in earlier seasons. Someone mentioned last week that Adam was a stuntman and therefore he's a bit of an adrenaline junkie. Having Bonnie's crazy energy in his life is probably more energizing than draining - at least I hope so.

Favorite moment was definitely Wendy's magic trick. Just when I wondered if it was a continuity error Bonnie asked how she got out and the answer was perfect. If we can't have a full plot for Wendy I do appreciate those tiny bits that add to the Mystery of Wendy LOL!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, MissLucas said:

Favorite moment was definitely Wendy's magic trick. Just when I wondered if it was a continuity error Bonnie asked how she got out and the answer was perfect. 

What was the answer? I didn't catch it. 😞 

I wonder if they knew this was going to be the last season when they filmed it? This isn't really the type of show that needs closure for a finale, but it doesn't really seem to be going anywhere that feels like a conclusion. I agree Rod wasn't necessarily a character we needed to see again, especially this late in the game when the show is almost over.

Tammy, as always, is the real scene stealer even when they don't give her a lot to do. When Bonnie said Adam wouldn't even been in Al Anon without her and Tammy said "I don't think that's the defense you think it is" I laughed just on the delivery. Also the callback to an earlier scene of Adam saying Rod found his hair luxurious, when Bonnie mentions a problem with Adam the first thing out of Tammy's mouth is "Is his hair OK?" 

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 3/12/2021 at 1:05 PM, nodorothyparker said:

The continuing adventures of Bonnie the narcissist raging completely unchecked or without any real pushback are becoming less and less interesting to me

This!  I'm officially sick of Bonnie. Last night had to be the worst with her need for being needed, validated, applauded, fawned over, revered as a 'legend' - not to mention how her nose got out of joint because her sponsee found a potential male friend he could relate to in Adam.  She acted as if she were some AA celebrity.  Earth to Bonnie:  It's not about YOU when you're the sponsor.  It's about what's best for your sponsee.  Hasn't Marjorie's wisdom sunk in?  I know they're friends and all and want to support each other, but man - can they all just tell her to pipe down and have some humility?  And let's not even mention how cruel she was to Wendy by not letting her out of the booth to pee because Bonnie didn't want to be interrupted during her whining session

I like Rod and the comedic element he brings.

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I wonder if they knew this was going to be the last season when they filmed it? This isn't really the type of show that needs closure for a finale, but it doesn't really seem to be going anywhere that feels like a conclusion. I agree Rod wasn't necessarily a character we needed to see again, especially this late in the game when the show is almost over.

Check out the Media thread.  There's some speculation/best guesses starting around mid-February.

On 3/11/2021 at 10:16 PM, Blakeston said:

And then of course he's romantically entangled with Jill, because that seems to be a prerequisite for any man on the show who isn't Adam.

I was actually hoping that the writers would surprise us by having Jill NOT sleep with Rod, but no such luck. As another poster said, nearly zero growth on Jill's part, it's gotten old, she's a one-trick pony. And...does anyone else think Jill would sleep with Adam if she thought she could somehow get away with it?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Winston Wolfe said:

And...does anyone else think Jill would sleep with Adam if she thought she could somehow get away with it?

Of course. She alluded to it in the night swimming episode.

• Love 1

For some reason, I've been enjoying this season more ever since I found out it would be the last one. The show's definitely lost a step (I figured out the peak was seasons 3-5), and the reruns are more entertaining, but it could be a lot worse than it is now. 

If Allison and the other cast members are trying to keep the show going, that proves how dedicated they are to it. The show could easily go to a streaming service like Paramount+ if it comes to that. And instead of having to schedule around the network, they can take more time on scripts and release new seasons at once. 

• Love 1

I'm so tired of "The Bonnie the Narcissistic Bully Show." It's always about her, even when it's not.

I don't think Adam stays married to Bonnie for the adrenaline rush, I think he has Stockholm Syndrome. 

The developing friendship between Adam and Ron was nice to see, and I think it brought up a good point. Men need men friends, because sometimes, a man can provide to another man something a woman can't. It doesn't negate men's friendships with women. 

I think the Jill-Ron hook-up is just that -- sex, nothing more. 

• Love 1