Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Business Council

• Start Topic

Airs March 4, 2021

When Carter helps Kat get elected to the local business council, a rift forms in their friendship when she doesn't vote in his favor to keep the bar open later. Meanwhile, Sheila asks Max to help her move some of her furniture to make room for her boyfriend, and Randi asks Phil for help with her photography project.

Her winter spring summer or fall, all you gotta do is call line was so adorable ❤️

I also liked her crush's slip about having good memories with a strip club 😄

• Love 5

Phil is so shouty with his Momma and childhood anectotes.

My impression over the past few episodes is that Kat's mom gels a lot better with the rest of the cast in group scenes than Kat. I also think for the last 3-4 weeks we've been getting episodes that were shot after the initial flurry of negative reviews. They noticably changed the tone and audience interaction.

• Love 3
(edited)

Leave it to Beavers? So cringe it becomes funny, especially Max getting caught having apparently some fond memories of it. 

On a shallow note, Mayim looks great in yellow, and yellow can be a hard color to pull off, so good for her. I thought this was a pretty cute episode, even if I was saddened by the lack of cats. Come on show, give the people (me) what they want. I like that they are mixing the cast up a bit, they seem to be really trying to work out the flaws from the first few episodes, and while its not all still clicking I do think its quality is improving. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 6

I think the early episodes was trying to copy the source material too much..and it hurt the show.

Now the show is starting to write to the actors strengths.  

All in the family and Ugly Betty were adapted from foreign shows..and neither show was an exact copy of their source material.  

What's interesting is that the developer of the show is from Louisville (setting of show)...so I think she should take better advantage of the locale.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, PinkRibbons said:

I think Randi is in her late twenties. We millennials are just perpetually adolescent.

*Looks sheepishly at closet filled with miniskirts featuring comic book characters* 

Yeah, that lines up. I find it to be a part of our charm. 

1 hour ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

What's interesting is that the developer of the show is from Louisville (setting of show)...so I think she should take better advantage of the locale.  

I would really like to see them use Louisville as a location more. I know that they are probably limited on location shooting because of COVID, but its a pretty interesting and unique city, I think they could do more with it, which would also give it more of identity beyond the show its based on. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 3
26 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

*Looks sheepishly at closet filled with miniskirts featuring comic book characters* 

Yeah, that lines up. I find it to be a part of our charm. 

I would really like to see them use Louisville as a location more. I know that they are probably limited on location shooting because of COVID, but its a pretty interesting and unique city, I think they could do more with it, which would also give it more of identity beyond the show its based on. 

The Kentucky Derby alone would make a good episode...Kat in a hat, Mint Juleps, Kat not knowing how to act at the Derby..etc

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)

I’ve thought about this more than I’d admit, but you know, fuck Kat. She’s going to turn down her friend’s request without doing any due diligence or giving it a test period, act surprised when he doesn’t love it, pull those idiotic not at all cute, quirky or adorable tap dance/Love Actually stunts, and then come up with a solution that works for her? Are there no neighbors sharing the common air in the back area who might not like the noise that’s outside and not contained indoors? Who cares! It was already zoned, so Kat doesn’t need to be worried about it! The vote was 2-2, so it’s not as if his request was unreasonable or ill-advised.

I hate watch this show because I’m desperate for distractions. This show is awful, and Mayim is a disaster in it. She’s not Blossom any more. The ingenue bus is long gone.

ok, I’ll roll the vitriol back going forward if they show more cats.

Edited by Kiddvideo
  • Love 7

I keep giving this show chances because I really do want to like it. I think some of the characters are getting fleshed out and that is good. But I still have two major problems. First is Max. He has no fleshed out personality. Who is he? Why is Kat so into him?  They are telling us but not showing us and the result is a boring character with no chemistry with Kat. Second is the mom. I can’t help it but Swoozie Kurtz takes me right out of any scene because I can’t get over how awful she looks. She looks like a breeze would knock her over, and all the work she has had done on her face just looks frightening. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I agree.  And Kat DID do her due diligence which is why Carter was mad.  He wanted her to rubber stamp his request. She initially was going to go ahead and approve the measure until she listened and considered the position of those who opposed the measure.  That included neighbors who were concerned about the noise level already and how much of an impact it'd have even later and the statistics about staying open later.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Seelouis said:

First is Max. He has no fleshed out personality. Who is he? Why is Kat so into him?  They are telling us but not showing us and the result is a boring character with no chemistry with Kat.

Yeah, it's weird how much of a blank slate he is. Aside from living in Paris, liking onion relish, and being musical what do we really know about him? He's the least developed character, which is not good for either a best friend or potential love interest of the main character.

• Love 5

I can't even get to the point of quibbling over whether Carter set Kat up for his benefit.  I'm still wondering how in any normal non-pandemic universe a bar in Louisville, KY would ever close at 11:00 p.m. to begin with.  Even now during the pandemic they don't close until midnight.  I checked!

So I thought it was just yet another dumb plot.

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

What is there to quibble about?  Why Didn't Carter right from the start tell Kat that he wanted her to join the council and vote for him to be able to keep his business open longer?  That is what he wanted, that is why he wanted her on the council.

As soon as Kat found out what was going on she should have told Carter that she didn't like being used, and that if he wanted to be open for longer hours, he would have to do it without her help.

Carter uses people, and the sad part is that he has a kid that he will also probably raise to use people.  Parents often raise their children to be like themselves.

I went to school with a lot of jerks.  I have met many of their parents.  Most of those parents are jerks as well.  Learned behavior.

Oh you don't have to sell me on this - I'm not disagreeing that Carter's behavior was a jerk move, I'm just saying that I can't even get past the bar closing time as 11:00 p.m. to focus on that because I don't see it as realistic.  I can't even be concerned about Carter's idiocy if I think the entire plot is based on something that would never be the case in any real world situation that I've ever known about.  And if it IS a thing they can't assume that everyone knows about it or that it happens everywhere in the country.  I'm actually surprised that I'm the only person that brought that up.  Among other things this is just yet another example of the bad writing on this show.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Businesses often go to their city and town councils to ask for variances.  It isn't unusual.  The zoning in the area where Carter's bar exists is different than the zoning in other areas.  Again that is not unusual.  People can't just plop a bar or any other business wherever they want and expand wherever they want and run it the way they want (being open longer) and disrupt the quality of life that surrounds them without getting permission to do so.  That is why business owners go to their city and town leaders to have hearings on those issues, and also why residents of the area are allowed to have a voice on those issues.  Existing businesses also have to follow the same rules.

In a neighboring town near where I live, the town council limits the number of licenses when it comes to businesses being allowed to serve and sell alcohol, and there are areas zoned for those businesses.

I've been around for over 6 decades and I have never known any bar to close at 11:00 p.m. anywhere other than during the pandemic, and I haven't lived under a rock, either.  In fact, it's probably because I have so much experience that I think it seems ridiculous.  If the show wants to make their point they should let the audience in on how things work in their little universe or it won't make any sense to anyone not intimately acquainted with very out of the ordinary "zoning variances" that may not occur that often, especially in certain parts of the country.  What would it take to make a reference to the bar only being approved in that neighborhood in the first place if it closed at 11:00 p.m.?  We're not psychic to know about that pertinent bit of information.  And trying to get it zoned differently later in light of that would look even more ridiculous so the whole plot idea stinks from start to finish.  Just bad writing, IMHO. 

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 2

It really is a weird set up. I would vigorously oppose any late-open businesses in my very quiet residential neighborhood, but I also can't imagine a bar that closes at 11pm. I would think of that maybe as a restaurant or cafe. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Machiabelly said:

Especially since it had been a strip club previously and was still under the same zoning. What Strip club closes at 11? And what strip club is in a quiet residential neighborhood? 

Great point.  I hadn't even remembered that!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 3/5/2021 at 8:01 PM, foxfreakinmulder said:

Also, didn't Kat say that area is where they keep the trash bins?

That jumped right out at me (well, that and the lack of cats in this ep).  Where did they put the trash dumpsters that the space was created for?

Get back to your real reason for being, Show!  To wit:  giphy.gif

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Love 9
18 hours ago, Machiabelly said:

Especially since it had been a strip club previously and was still under the same zoning. What Strip club closes at 11? And what strip club is in a quiet residential neighborhood? 

And what strip club has outdoor seating? I don't think so.

Plus, just because you're zoned for something doesn't mean you automatically get it. Again, with the hearings and everything else.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

After a couple of OK episodes, this one was back to bad. I'm assuming the "business council" was supposed to be like a chamber of commerce? Or was it specifically devoted to one block of businesses in what I assume was the downtown area? In any event, I wouldn't think it's within the purview of a chamber of commerce to set business regulations; isn't that the local town council or legislative body? And if this council is the one deciding regulations such as hours and permits, does that mean the entire business community is subject to the whims of six people? One of whom just gets appointed with no election? 

On 3/5/2021 at 7:16 AM, Aulty said:

Phil is so shouty with his Momma and childhood anecdotes.

I think the show has vastly overestimated the appeal of Leslie Jordan and Kyla Pratt both singly and as a team getting into wacky hijinks.

On 3/6/2021 at 1:22 PM, Seelouis said:

I can’t help it but Swoozie Kurtz takes me right out of any scene because I can’t get over how awful she looks. She looks like a breeze would knock her over, and all the work she has had done on her face just looks frightening. 

I keep expecting that she's going to fall, and when she does, she will shatter into thousands of pieces like Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn did in "Death Becomes Her." (One of the things I do like is that she calls her daughter by her full name "Katherine" when everyone else calls her "Kat." It's something a mother would do.)

On 3/8/2021 at 5:11 PM, Ms Lark said:

And what strip club has outdoor seating? I don't think so.

Especially in the wintertime! ;-)

I was trying to figure out the geography of the two businesses. It appears they face each other but also share a common dumpster area? And it looked like just an alleyway between them? That doesn't make any sense.

Max is totally useless. He could just as well be a coatrack for all the personality he brings to the role (and I say this as liking Cheyenne Jackson). 

This is one of his music videos that I really like. 

Cheyenne Jackson Don't Wanna Know

Edited by SmithW6079
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

After a couple of OK episodes, this one was back to bad. I'm assuming the "business council" was supposed to be like a chamber of commerce? Or was it specifically devoted to one block of businesses in what I assume was the downtown area? In any event, I wouldn't think it's within the purview of a chamber of commerce to set business regulations; isn't that the local town council or legislative body? And if this council is the one deciding regulations such as hours and permits, does that mean the entire business community is subject to the whims of six people? One of whom just gets appointed with no election? 

I think the show has vastly overestimated the appeal of Leslie Jordan and Kyla Pratt both singly and as a team getting into wacky hijinks.

I keep expecting that she's going to fall, and when she does, she will shatter into thousands of pieces like Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn did in "Death Becomes Her." (One of the things I do like is that she calls her daughter by her full name "Katherine" when everyone else calls her "Kat." It's something a mother would do.)

Especially in the wintertime! 😉

I was trying to figure out the geography of the two businesses. It appears they face each other but also share a common dumpster area? And it looked like just an alleyway between them? That doesn't make any sense.

Max is totally useless. He could just as well be a coatrack for all the personality he brings to the role (and I say this as liking Cheyenne Jackson). 

This is one of his music videos that I really like. 

Cheyenne Jackson Don't Wanna Know

All good points in each paragraph.

Sorry (not sorry) I only made it to 0:31 on the video.  Not my cuppa tea.  But thanks for posting!  Information is always useful.

On 3/7/2021 at 8:29 AM, Yeah No said:

I've been around for over 6 decades and I have never known any bar to close at 11:00 p.m. anywhere other than during the pandemic, and I haven't lived under a rock, either. 

I live in an area where all but one bar closes at 9 pm lol  Even our so called "sports bar".  Like.. WTF?  But it's podunk, VT  

Edited by Callietwo