Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Chapter Eighty: Purgatorio

Bort
  • Start Topic

After spending seven years away from Riverdale, Archie returns to find the town is now under Hiram Lodge's grip and on the verge of becoming a ghost town. When Toni catches him up on what's been going on, Archie reaches out to the rest of the gang to return home.

Airdate: 10 February 2021

The promos for Veronica’s story were all about the Wall Street angle (plus the husband who is obviously there to cause drama once she resumes banging Archie in the next five episodes or so), so words could not describe my delight when it suddenly became an Uncut Gems riff.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Honestly not as bad as I assumed it was going to be.  The show might benefit by aging up all the characters and forcing them to basically start from scratch again.  I like what they did with Archie,  Betty, Jughead and Veronica.  The character arcs all fit with their personalities.  The people they basically are but without the others to lean on and get advice from.  Betty without Jughead and  Archie goes overboard and messes up trying to catch a serial killer because it’s not exactly new to her but she still manages to screw up because she doesn’t have anyone to bounce off of.  Jughead becomes a version of his family line of angry alcoholics because he doesn’t have his friends to center him.   Archie is actually a decent soldier because let’s face it he follows orders well and does well with team activities.  And Veronica marries a version of her father but also a man who doesn’t understand what she really wants or needs.   They all return to a dying Riverdale  because of course Hiram gotta be Hiram and his choking the town to build rich people town one over so you know.....

This means war.    And an excuse to bring the gang back together again.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 5

random thoughts:

was it just me or did the plot seem kinda like Stephen King's IT?

Archie seems to be the least damaged one witch is kinda ironic

Ok, Cheryls finally lost her mind. Either that or she's become an art scammer

Betty's turned into Clarice Starling, and we all know the GBK will show up in Riverdale if not this season then surely next one (show has already been renewed just FYI)

Not much to say about Jughead or Veronica except they'd better have Cole do more next episode, that was the least amount of Juggy

Reggie's gone to the Dark Side?

Lastly I find it really hard to believe that Kevin and Fangs would move back to that hellhole after college. There's no way that Riverdale High would have an drama class. But I am glad that at least one relationship has survived. Are they married or still just boyfriends?

3 hours ago, madhacker said:

Lastly I find it really hard to believe that Kevin and Fangs would move back to that hellhole after college. There's no way that Riverdale High would have an drama class. But I am glad that at least one relationship has survived. Are they married or still just boyfriends?

Riverdale doesn't have bus services and only one cop in the sheriff's department but they have a drama dept? I don't think so. Kevin and Fangs graduated from excellent schools and they came back? Again I don't think so.

I do believe that they are the dads to Toni's baby.

• Love 1

I'm ok with the 7-year jump but all the characters still looked like they were in high school. They needed to change up their looks a bit to "age them up" a bit. I was happy to see that Archie's hair looked more muted when he was in the Army but then it returned to it's "day-glo" orange color once he was on the streets in Riverdale. It must be something with the atmosphere there.

• Love 3

I am actually surprised Riverdale  even has a school considering Hiram wants to empty out the town.   I am guessing the school is mainly there because the set has already been built and it’s a convenient place for the main group to all suddenly have jobs when the shit eventually hits the fan.  

Besides you can’t really pull on the threads if this show too hard.  Logic has never been Riverdale’s friend.    That being said the more I think about it the more I like the aging up and separation of the main cast.   It leaves plenty of room for awkward reunions and plot devices.  

• Love 1

I don't know if it's just me or what but this episode was so boring. I was really looking forward to move the stories into 'the future' and now I'm just disspointed. None of it makes sense. I know it's crazy Riverdale and looking for sense it's pointless, yet still here we are. What is the thing with Veronica and her job? If I understood correctly she doesn't work at Lacy's jelewery store because she wants more edge. So how does her job in another jelewery store have more edge? Her husband already bores me and I'm totally not in for Hiram 2.0 and apparently Hermione 2.0. Cheryl The Martyr it's just sad. Should Betty be even allowed to be a FBI agent with her history? How much drama can one person takie in? Jughead's plot is annoying.  And Toni seriously? If my ex came to me after 7 years and said "now my family is ok with us being together", I would be pissed of just for start. 

At this point I don't think I will be back for next episodes...

The dream sequence with Archie was an A+ solution to the problem of how to convey his time in the army without investing a bunch of time and resources in something that won't matter. I was still on board by the time Betty was doing the Clarice Starling run through the forest. But then they invented the Trash Bag Killer, and this show hit that old stumbling block of sending mixed signals about how seriously we're supposed to take the story, and it lost me. Also, I felt like watching her fail to catch the serial killer would have been more interesting and emotional than whatever we're going to see, now.

It was a nice surprise that they didn't kill Pop. I also LOL'd when Toni took over Veronica's old hobby of making everybody watch her perform cabaret for no reason.

As a writer, Jughead's story continues to infuriate me, since he's constantly showered with riches, attention, and opportunities that most of us could only dream of -- and all he does is complain and slack off.

15 hours ago, SeanC said:

The promos for Veronica’s story were all about the Wall Street angle (plus the husband who is obviously there to cause drama once she resumes banging Archie in the next five episodes or so), so words could not describe my delight when it suddenly became an Uncut Gems riff.

I get that they're trying to show us that Veronica made a mistake and ended up in her parents' marriage, but I think it would be so much more interesting if she were still on Wall Street, and she still liked this guy. Because, right now, this is obviously a throw-away life that she doesn't even want, so there's no tension about whether she'll keep it.

Same with Betty -- I wish that she still liked the guy she's dating. It seems pointless to even include him when she doesn't.

13 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

And for all you people who are not students of history, Google Lynette Alice "Squeaky" Fromme 

Given how this show sits outside of normal time, I think it would be cool if it became a melting pot for different historical figures or famous characters to drift through the story. You know, if this show were interested in giving commentary on stuff.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, AAEBoiler said:

I'm ok with the 7-year jump but all the characters still looked like they were in high school. They needed to change up their looks a bit to "age them up" a bit. I was happy to see that Archie's hair looked more muted when he was in the Army but then it returned to it's "day-glo" orange color once he was on the streets in Riverdale. It must be something with the atmosphere there.

I think it's because they didn't have time in real life to change their looks. Going from high school years to adult years right away means they had no time to grow a beard, grow their hair out, or change their hairstyle (in case of reshoots for the previous episode) so I understood why. Hopefully, they allowed them to change their looks over the rest of this season, though.

For a season 5 "premiere" (the premiere they were supposed to have), it actually wasn't half bad. My favourite moments were with Toni and Archie. Having Toni get to interact with someone not named Cheryl for more than a scene was a real treat, and her and Archie had some really nice conversations about Riverdale's state. And, surprisingly, the explanation as to why the town went to shit in the seven years was well done. Having Hiram basically break his promise of retirement to close down everything of importance to Riverdale just to promote Riverdale's rich sister town was a decent enough explanation. I am willing to bet Toni's baby daddy is either Kevin or Fangs. She's living with them, they came back to Riverdale for some reason, and it would at least give Kevin a plot.

The Betty stuff intrigued me enough, at least. Silly serial killer name aside (seriously? The Trash Bag Killer? Couldn't have thought of anything more creative? I get that it was a small play off of BTK, but still), her plot was mostly interactive and I assume the girl getting into the truck at the end was TBK, as I assume they want to connect Betty's plot with Riverdale somehow.

Veronica's plot with her shitty ass husband....they couldn't have given Veronica a less douchey husband? I was hoping for Veronica to escape the clutches of her Daddy, but it looks like she married Daddykins 2.0. Even with the intrigue of the Accident (a helicopter crash?), they're clearly just gonna make Chad into the biggest asshole and I'm also not looking forward to Veronica being even more miserable, especially if she DOES get pregnant and gets stuck with him. They should have at LEAST tried to show some semblance of a happy marriage. 

Jughead's stuff? I mean, it's interesting to see how he's taking after the family a little bit through his frenzy with trying to be a writer, coupled with him being drunk and getting reckless. And yeah, he's stumbled onto that weird blackmail girl, who will surely show up later on. Jughead's life is clearly a mess at the moment. He SHOULD be happy that he will likely get a book out of the things going on in Riverdale, but he probably doesn't see a story forming yet. Ultimately, I'm not super into his plot going forward since it'll be mostly basic, with him needing to pick up his life and probably get a book deal once whatever mystery is over and done with.

I laughed at Archie's war dream taking place in Riverdale. I guess a good way to save some money, and it related to him going back to Riverdale and becoming invested in saving the town.

Cheryl is either going insane or she's playing some sort of role, I haven't decided which. She just looks absolutely miserable. Girl, be free from your crazy grandmother! Just kill her and be done with it!

Overall, not the worst start to the new chapter, though they need to try SOMETHING new that's more exciting. Toni/Archie sharing scenes together for the first time is a good start.

• Love 6

If Cheryl spent the past 7 years trying to atone for what the Blossoms have done to Riverdale and the world at large, why has she failed so miserably that Riverdale is even worst off than when Hiram was trashing everything to get his prison project set up by closing all the schools around.

I don't understand Veronica's story. Why did Veronica leave a job that she loves so much after the helicopter crash? What does that have anything to do with her fitness of being the exchange floor. Now she is stuck in marriage when a man she doesn't love/respect and selling jewelry to criminals with extra cash on hand.

With Betty's luck, her FBI boyfriend is going to turn out to be the Trash Bag Killer.

Jughead owes money to the people who the customers Veronica is selling jewelry to.

I really wish they showed each of the core gang arriving at Pops and the awkward greetings and uncomfortable small talk until everyone arrived.

• Love 4

So we return to Riverdale to see how everyone is doing and how the town itself is faring and...its kind of what you expect. Archie stormed the beaches at Normandy, Veronica still has that Elektra complex going on and is in a crappy marriage with Hiram 2.0, Betty is chasing serial killers, and Jughead is a drunk struggling writer. So basically, Archie is doing Walking Tall, Veronica is doing an 80s thriller, Betty is doing Silence of the Lambs, and Jughead is doing Rent mixed with every movie about a struggling writer ever made. Its not a bad start to the new status quo, its at least something new, even if this is basically just another variation of "Hiram destroys the town for an evil plot" which we have seen a few times already. 

We get reintroduced to Toni, doing a scene right out of a Tarantino movie, and I forgot how much I like her when she isn't stuck just being Cheryl's girlfriend. She and Archie had a lot of nice interactions, and served as the exposition dump on how Riverdale has managed to become even more shitty than it already was. I guess she will probably get back with Cheryl, who is now a recluse who is doing art forgery as a side hustle, but I will enjoy Toni as an independent entity for as long as I can. Also, Cheryl has apparently not done great at helping Riverdale, considering what a craphole it is now while Cheryl is doing her Gothic Horror recluse stuff. 

Archie's life is probably the one that seems to be going the best, even if the vaguely defined military stuff he did left him with some scars, while Betty is still a mess who runs after serial killers with no escape plan (serial killers with stupid names) and while she has possibly a boyfriend she is clearly keeping her distance, Veronica's life is clearly tailor made to be given up, and Jughead seems to be following in his grandfathers path of becoming a bitter drunk wasting his potential, and is also in debit to some sketchy people. So I guess they will all end up relocated to Riverdale by the end, because everyone ends up getting dragged back her. Really, I have no clue why anyone would still be in Riverdale, even before Hiram decided to choke it out of life. Why the hell would Kevin and Fangs come back after going to good schools? I guess Kevin would want to come back to be with his dad, but maybe its just time to throw in the towel and all move away? Riverdale should probably just get swallowed by its Hellmouth at this point. 

Not a bad start, but I hope that things pick up really soon, and start doing some different things beyond slight variations on stories we have already seen.  

I would say that getting into a truck with a skeleton nailed to the front is a pretty dangerous life choice, but considering the waitresses name is Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme and is heading for California, she might be more of the danger than the person who is in danger...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

I'm okay with the time jump, but I have to admit I didn't find any of their individual stories particularly interesting.  Cheryl becoming a painting recluse was probably the oddest touch.

I'm confused by the "Squeaky" Fromme thing.  Is she supposed to be the actual Lynette Fromme?  What was she doing in Riverdale?  Does that mean this show is set in the '60s (which would mean Archie was in Vietnam)?  But Narrator Jughead said she never got to California, so does that mean she got picked up by the Trash Bag Killer?  Notice TBK is a takeoff of the BTK killer, who postdates the '60s.  I guess this whole universe is a twisted funhouse mirror.

It occurred to me watching this that Reggie had much focus at all in this series, even though he was such a big part of the cartoons and comics.  Maybe he'll get a bigger part now that he's Hiram's right hand man.

1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

Veronica said it was 2021. Which means that 7 years ago when they graduated was 2014. The show itself started in 2017.

And yet last week they had the big deal about the time capsule marking the 75th anniversary of it from 1945. Meaning this should be set in 2027.

So did someone goof on the year? 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Well, that was certainly a time jump!

Not bad all things considering, but I found myself more interested in the stuff with Archie and Betty compared to Veronica and Jughead.  I know Archie can be a bit of a goof 90% of the time, but I think his earnest "we have to save Riverdale!" behavior is fitting for the character and it's just nice seeing at least one character wanting to make things better.  Meanwhile, Betty has basically become a less successful version of Clarice Starling, but it's at least fun to watch.  And I so hope we get more of the almighty "Trash Bag Killer!"  I hope we meet his friends too, like the Zip Tie Strangler or Aluminum Foil Man!

On the other hand, Veronica and Jughead pretty much went the predictable routes.  Veronica's got herself in a loveless marriage and is being pressured to put her career on hold for family, even though that's not what she wants.  And Jughead has writer's block, struggling to meet ends meet, and kind of being a jerk.  Yawn!  Hope their stuff gets better soon.

But the best is Toni actually getting the most to do since, well, forever, and even being included in the main storyline.  I'm still prepared for Cheryl to get involved in the end and take away from all of that, but I'll enjoy it while can!  Really enjoyed the Archie/Toni scenes.

So, Hiram has basically turned Riverdale into a hellhole (but one that apparently still has a good school since Kevin and Fangs have cushy jobs!), because he wants to build some kind of right neighborhood.  Yeah, that checks out.  Oh, and Reggie is his lackey now, because why not?

I'm guessing this Tabitha character will factor in more since Erinn Westbrook is being billed as a regular.

Whelp, lets see where this craziness goes!

• Love 3

This was all rather amusing.

I couldn't help but laugh when Archie told Toni at the end "you're as much a part of this as anyone" when she has barely been had anything to do on Riverdale. I enjoyed her scenes with Archie.

So Veronica was in the world of finance, out-performing her husband, they get involved in a helicopter accident and she doesn't work in finance anymore? I think I know where this is going...

Riverdale is clearly Jughead’s muse, as much as he has tried to go it alone. Guessing his first book is a fictionalized accounting of their coming of age story, complete with no one returning for the reunion. 

that FBI office  Betty is supposed to close will come in handy.  Her whole story is less Clarice Starling and more Veronica Mars. Let’s hope this story allows her to grow up and learn from her experiences.  Why is her boss her boyfriend? The FBI seems sketchy.  Ewww. Cheryl is a forger! There is some FBI business right there  

veronica and probably Hiram ...sigh. Honestly Veronica what are you thinking? And selling jewelry is edgy?

i’m so glad Jug and Archie get to act older. i liked Archie and Toni together, like that it is probably not romantic. 

whelp. I wonder if squeaky fromme means we will name drop true crime all season for no reasons. 

Edited by Affogato
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Affogato said:

I wonder if squeaky fromme means we will name drop true crime all season for no reasons. 

Okay, can't say I like it, but that makes sense as an explanation.  I found it distracting, but if that's what they're doing I guess I can take note of it and dismiss it accordingly.

On 2/14/2021 at 10:09 AM, Affogato said:

Riverdale is clearly Jughead’s muse, as much as he has tried to go it alone. Guessing his first book is a fictionalized accounting of their coming of age story, complete with no one returning for the reunion. 

Story literally has the "Viper leader" going out with the homecoming queen. Out of all of them, going back to Riverdale is best for Jughead. He can dodge his debt collectors and get some new material for his book.

On the topic of Toni, I love that we get to see her interacting with someone other than Cheryl again. I also love that she got her degree and came back home to use it for her community.  All these kids coming up in Riverdale High now were like 8-10 when all the madness started overflowing from the Hellmouth that clearly hiding somewhere around the place, so God knows they could use some help. It's great that the show is giving her importance on par with the Core Four.

My only issue is, why the Serpents? Couldn't the show have used the timeskip to retire that concept? Did Toni really need to be a secret gang leader?

• Love 2
On 2/11/2021 at 11:38 PM, mtlchick said:

And yet last week they had the big deal about the time capsule marking the 75th anniversary of it from 1945. Meaning this should be set in 2027.

So did someone goof on the year?

The way I deal with this is telling myself that this show takes place in all of the years and none of the years.

• Love 2
On 2/15/2021 at 10:18 AM, Diapason Untuned said:

My only issue is, why the Serpents? Couldn't the show have used the timeskip to retire that concept? Did Toni really need to be a secret gang leader?

Jughead's dad was still involved with the Serpents, and he was older than Toni.  Apparently it's something they don't grow out of.