Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Bad Manners

Trini
  • Start Topic

Malcolm and Ainsley both race to find the killer in the so-called "Debutante Slayings," but Ainsley's persistence has Malcolm worried about what her actual motive might be. While Martin is thrilled to see his daughter's passion in the field, Jessica suggests she and Ainsley take a vacation. Meanwhile, JT meets with his union rep to decide if he should file an official complaint against the cop who discriminated against him.

Airdate: Feb. 9, 2021

prodigal-son-season-2-episode-5f-580x386.jpg

I really enjoy scenes between Martin and Jessica.  Mr. David Jessica promises no stabby.  

Is there a cold turkey for murder?   I really enjoyed the sibling rivalry between Malcolm and Ainsley to solve the murder. And it almost seemed like Ainsley was about to have her second murder under her belt.   But it is a little too soon still.  

I am hoping the JT story is over.  It ended respectable.  It doesn’t need to go and further.

Kinda sad Malcolm didn’t let Edrisa go with him.  That would have been kinda fun.   But then we wouldn’t have had the almost Ainsley murder.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1

Martin and Jessica teaming up. Uh oh...This is what Martin wanted in the first place.

I wonder if Ainsley has a murder switch persona. She blanks out and then Murder Ainsley appears like a switch. But it looks like Murder Ainsley is not much different from Regular Ainsley.

• Love 3

This was a good plot to have Ainsley more involved with the MOTW. This season especially they should have more sibling shenanigans.

I didn't like Jessica going to see Martin and now supposedly teaming up with him to "save" their kids, because it just doesn't make sense that she'd ever do that -- she knows he's a "cancer". (But I guess everyone's getting scenes with Martin this season.)

If they keep doing this, then I guess I'll keep complaining: they tint the show too dark; I want to see the actors' faces!

The etiquette teacher blowing herself up was just weird and unnecessary; but they had a special effects budget to burn, I guess.

And they're still having Malcolm have showdowns with the killer, but Ainsley was there this time, so... variety?

• Love 2

OK - I like Edrisa, but even that was a bit much for me.

How long was Ainsley supposed to be hiding in the clock? If it was long enough for them to consider calling the police, she's more bent than we've been led to believe.  No noise, no bathroom breaks?  Or were they just out of the room for the other hourly clock chimes and didn't notice?

• Love 2

Edrisa is fun.   I like her a lot more then Dani.   Last episode she was a riot trying to hang with Martin and this episode wanting to tag along with Malcolm.  Honestly I think most of it is a nervous condition that I appreciate and understand.   I want to be part of the group and say something completely inappropriate.   I have done that myself on occasion.   

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

Edrisa is really starting to bug me. She was amusing during the first season, but between this episode and last week’s she is just becoming unfunny and annoying. 

I agree....Edrisa was good at the murder scene and in the morgue but her waltzing into the precinct and her schtick with Malcolm was just off putting to me at least....they don’t need to force her into scenes...putting her in where needed and not over utilizing her character works best. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

OK - I like Edrisa, but even that was a bit much for me.

How long was Ainsley supposed to be hiding in the clock? If it was long enough for them to consider calling the police, she's more bent than we've been led to believe.  No noise, no bathroom breaks?  Or were they just out of the room for the other hourly clock chimes and didn't notice?

I’m hoping the season doesn’t end on a cliffhanger of Malcolm copping to killing Endicott to save Ainsley. There are a couple of things that are or have been bothering me about that whole story arc. So Ainsley kills Endicott. It was a very bloody and violent murder. How did Ainsley get cleaned up? She had blood all over herself, in her hair, on her clothing. Who took care of her to shower her, change her clothing and get rid of the bloody clothing? It wasn’t Jessica because she just found out 2 episodes ago that Ainsley killed Endicott. So that leaves Malcolm. Are we being lead to believe that Ainsley showered, changed her clothing and tidy up without nair memory one of anything? Then in this episode we had Gil questioning Jessica about her visit to Martin regarding Ainsley and why she was confiding in Martin versus himself. If Gil suspects or starts to question what Jessica tells him then it won’t be too long before he uncovers that Ainsley killed Endicott, Malcolm dismembered him and shipped his body off to Estonia and Jessica has been trying to sweep it all away like it didn’t happen. So like I said, I hope that we don’t wind up with a Malcolm sacrifices himself to save his sister. Now if they house Malcolm with Martin that might be interesting but I hope that at some point Ainsley remembers what she did, deals with it and everyone stops walking around on eggshells at the thought of her remembering the details. Frankly I think she will deal with it and could actually resent Malcolm for keeping it from her more than him allowing her to deal with it straight up. 

Edited by MyArchangel

I fully approve of Jessica visiting Martin more often. I’m not sure how they’re going to save the kids or whatever but if it involves Bellamy Young and Michael Sheen together getting to chew all of the scenery in sight I will not complain. Now if they can get the kids in there too for a family session I will be on cloud 9.

I’m glad Gil and Jessica still seems to be a thing, she’s deserves some non-psychopath loving.

Ainsley seems to be getting a little more murder-y and more and more Martins daughter. Perhaps it’s time they tell her what will happen. I’d be more afraid of what she does if she finds out they’re keeping things from her that anything else. That said, I loved the sibling banter/rivalry between her and Malcolm. I thought they captured the vibe well.

While I’m usually a big Edrisa fan I thought the caffeine bender was a little much. She’s not as much fun when dialled up to 11. Also I was surprised at her missing the glass eye. She’s always been weird but she’s usually great at her job.

• Love 2

I base this on absolutely nothing except we are on episode 5 and it is way to early for Malcolm to take the blame for Ainsley but him going to prison would be dumb at this juncture.  If anything I think somewhere around mid season he will attempt to take the fall for Endicott which will snowball into Ainsley killing again.     Again I base that on absolutely nothing.  

• Love 1

I like them exploring more of the Whitly's family history, first with going back to Malcom's old school and now Ainsley's creepy finishing school. I always find the mix of their wealthy blue blood background and them also being basically social outcasts in the society that they should be the crème de le crème of to be really interesting. I figured out that the killer was the assistant pretty quickly (yeah, the creepy doll girl in the background is obviously going to be the killer but the case was rather eerie, especially the creepy ass dolls and Miss Manners blowing herself and her school up super calmly. 

Malcolm might be getting freaked out by Ainsley's murder tendencies and her lack of empathy, but its been pretty obvious to be even before she started developing this stabby side. While Malcom basically bleeds empathy, even feeling sad for several of the killers and other weirdos they run into, Ainsley was doing a happy dance while her boyfriend was bleeding out because it meant she was getting a good shot for her news story, much like this week when she was almost gleeful at finding her old acquaintance murdered on the floor. Everyone banters over dead bodies, but nobody is as happy about finding death and destruction as Ainsley is. However, it seems like her murder side is mostly triggered by Malcolm being in danger...which is an issue because Malcolm is in danger a LOT. Adding her to the mystery of the week was a good idea, it gives us more momentum on the Ainsley plot, although I hope she learns the truth soon. Normally I would be upset with Jessica for giving Martin exactly what he wants, but I cant be too upset at having more scenes between Bellamy Young and Michael Sheen.  

Hopefully this is the end of the ill conceived TJ racism plot. 

• Love 5

Edrisa is definitely better in small doses otherwise she's just the weird coworker that everyone tries to politely avoid whenever possible.

Though their scenes are entertaining, I'm not sure why Jessica would go to Martin for help in saving the kids. The phrase often used in books, "the smile didn't reach his eyes", comes to mind.  She has to know that his definition of saving them doesn't nec3essarily line up with hers. 

I'm still holding onto the bow of the Jessica/Gil ship though with Ainsley's murderous past now also lying between them I fear I'll have naught but a life preserver on soon. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Hopefully this is the end of the ill conceived TJ racism plot. 

Nothing like telling the viewers that racism is here forever since nobody will do anything about it when they have the chance.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, rove4 said:

The phrase often used in books, "the smile didn't reach his eyes", comes to mind. 

Even when Martin is being charming, he always has this look in his eyes that makes it seem like he wants to eat the person he's talking to, its creepy. 

I agree that a little Edrisa goes a long way. I like her quite a lot, but I think she needs more down to earth characters like Gil or TJ around to balance out her wackiness. Multiple scenes with just her and Malcolm, who is also pretty high on the quirky scale, really makes her quirks get dialed up to eleven, to the point where she is less endearing and more just a LOT. 

I like when Malcolm reminds Martin that his actions had serious consequences for the kids like Ainsley's bullying at school. I think he dismisses that as overblown or inconsequential. I did appreciate this too: She's made of tougher stuff. Because she's your daughter? No because she's your mother's.

Edrisa is fine, but a little is a lot with her. Dial her up to 11, and she's too much for me.

10 hours ago, dippydee said:

I fully approve of Jessica visiting Martin more often. I’m not sure how they’re going to save the kids or whatever but if it involves Bellamy Young and Michael Sheen together getting to chew all of the scenery in sight I will not complain. Now if they can get the kids in there too for a family session I will be on cloud 9.

I’m glad Gil and Jessica still seems to be a thing, she’s deserves some non-psychopath loving.

Ainsley seems to be getting a little more murder-y and more and more Martins daughter. Perhaps it’s time they tell her what will happen. I’d be more afraid of what she does if she finds out they’re keeping things from her that anything else. That said, I loved the sibling banter/rivalry between her and Malcolm. I thought they captured the vibe well.

I'm here for any Martin/Jessica scenes. I get why she feels like he's the only one she can talk to since no one else knows the truth, but that relieved look on her face at the end just seemed ridiculous. Surely she knows that the chances of them actually being on the same page are slim to none. Maybe she thinks that the fact that they want the same thing, the kids to get away with it, is enough.

Gil is going to pissed when he finds out Jessica went back to see Martin again, even after their little talk. I don't fully get them. Why would Jessica go to Gil for every little problem with her grown children? I get that they got close after Martin was arrested, but sometimes I have trouble figuring out exactly how close they are supposed to be. I guess he's over getting shot down now.

Having Ainsley use Martin's old office is a choice. It definitely demonstrates how cold she is on another level. It amuses me how zombie Ainsley goes when she's in kill mode. The lack of empathy is definitely the most striking characteristic for me though. I think she's going to feel perfectly justified when she finds out what happened. She may be horrified but no way will she feel all the guilt Malcolm feels. I think he knows that too. As much fun as they are together, I think deep down he knows exactly how cold-blooded she really is.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, l star said:

I like when Malcolm reminds Martin that his actions had serious consequences for the kids like Ainsley's bullying at school. I think he dismisses that as overblown or inconsequential. I did appreciate this too: She's made of tougher stuff. Because she's your daughter? No because she's your mother's.

Edrisa is fine, but a little is a lot with her. Dial her up to 11, and she's too much for me.

I'm here for any Martin/Jessica scenes. I get why she feels like he's the only one she can talk to since no one else knows the truth, but that relieved look on her face at the end just seemed ridiculous. Surely she knows that the chances of them actually being on the same page are slim to none. Maybe she thinks that the fact that they want the same thing, the kids to get away with it, is enough.

Gil is going to pissed when he finds out Jessica went back to see Martin again, even after their little talk. I don't fully get them. Why would Jessica go to Gil for every little problem with her grown children? I get that they got close after Martin was arrested, but sometimes I have trouble figuring out exactly how close they are supposed to be. I guess he's over getting shot down now.

Having Ainsley use Martin's old office is a choice. It definitely demonstrates how cold she is on another level. It amuses me how zombie Ainsley goes when she's in kill mode. The lack of empathy is definitely the most striking characteristic for me though. I think she's going to feel perfectly justified when she finds out what happened. She may be horrified but no way will she feel all the guilt Malcolm feels. I think he knows that too. As much fun as they are together, I think deep down he knows exactly how cold-blooded she really is.

Ainsley didn't go out looking for a cheap thrill/kill like he father did (over and over again). Forgetting a murder that was only done to save her brother sounds more like a coping mechanism for somebody who would otherwise not hurt a fly.

She was into the case because she wanted to know WHY the murderer did what they did to understand he father more. I don't think she is cold blooded, more like she wants to climb the corporate ladder like most people do and doesn't care as much for other people who are not family because other people will turn on her.

14 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

Edrisa is fun.   I like her a lot more then Dani.   Last episode she was a riot trying to hang with Martin and this episode wanting to tag along with Malcolm.  Honestly I think most of it is a nervous condition that I appreciate and understand.   I want to be part of the group and say something completely inappropriate.   I have done that myself on occasion.   

I agree. I adore her and she's fun! 

I'm starting to lose interest in this show. It's always the same where Malcolm figures out who the killer is at the last minute while he's alone with them and almost killed. Are the detectives that dumb and can't figure this shit out themselves. I know it was Ainsley that was in jeopardy this time but it's usually Malcolm. 

This episode all I wanted to do was brush Ainsley's hair out of her face. And I agree with another poster about shows that have rich women and the way they dress sitting around the house and on top of that wearing stilettos. PLEASE! No one is wearing stilettos around their house just to wear them. Put some slippers on, lol.

I don't like Dani and for me a little Edrisa and Martin goes a long way.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

I'm starting to lose interest in this show. It's always the same where Malcolm figures out who the killer is at the last minute while he's alone with them and almost killed. Are the detectives that dumb and can't figure this shit out themselves. I know it was Ainsley that was in jeopardy this time but it's usually Malcolm. 

I know Malcolm's the star of the show, but literally every single time? You can do better, show.

• Love 1

That ending seemed to be a bit of overkill. Sure, it sucks that your outdated relic of a school is probably going under, but the solution is to have a psychotic break and blow yourself up?

Again, because I know it's this show and you just have to make up your mind to go with it I'll ignore that that's not how the press-police relationship works at all and just enjoy the sibling rivalry we were getting with Malcolm and Ainsley. She really is a relentlessly driven one-track pony, which we haven't seen much of in awhile but we have seen it. So I don't think this can all be chalked up to repression of the murder she can't remember.  I always like when the show remembers between all the wall to wall crazy to throw in those reminders of just how deeply both kids were affected by having Martin for a father.  Last season, Ainsley seemed almost entirely removed from it to the point where it was possible to think maybe she did come out of it mostly unscathed but that's clearly not the case. Part of me thinks Jessica is fully aware just how far Martin may take the protective daddy thing and has decided to deal with possible fallout from that later if it means protecting her kids now.  She may also be laboring under the notion that she knows who he is now and can handle him better than she did 20 years ago.  The portrayal could go either way, I think. She might prefer to trust in Gil, and of course she'll say that she does, but she also clearly remembers that he's a cop and that that might matter down the road depending on what turns up.

Little surprised that Malcolm didn't have anything to say afterward about Ainsley almost going into full kill mode in the standoff after that really effective scene of pleading with both women not to do it. But that circles back to the problem of Ainsley being entirely unaware of what she's proven herself capable of. It bothers me more and more to see Malcolm and Martin talking and talking and talking about this, and now bringing Jessica into it too, and still no one thinking hey, Ainsley's an adult and maybe we should clue her in on it.

A little of Edrissa goes a long way. I enjoy a quirky character as much as anybody, but too much is too much and this episode made it painfully obvious that she works best in the group dynamic as the chemistry between her and Malcolm when it was just the two of them interacting was frankly embarrassing to watch.

• Love 4
On 2/10/2021 at 1:11 PM, tennisgurl said:

Malcolm might be getting freaked out by Ainsley's murder tendencies and her lack of empathy, but its been pretty obvious to be even before she started developing this stabby side. While Malcom basically bleeds empathy, even feeling sad for several of the killers and other weirdos they run into, Ainsley was doing a happy dance while her boyfriend was bleeding out because it meant she was getting a good shot for her news story, much like this week when she was almost gleeful at finding her old acquaintance murdered on the floor. Everyone banters over dead bodies, but nobody is as happy about finding death and destruction as Ainsley is. However, it seems like her murder side is mostly triggered by Malcolm being in danger...which is an issue because Malcolm is in danger a LOT. Adding her to the mystery of the week was a good idea, it gives us more momentum on the Ainsley plot, although I hope she learns the truth soon. Normally I would be upset with Jessica for giving Martin exactly what he wants, but I cant be too upset at having more scenes between Bellamy Young and Michael Sheen.  

Exactly. I pegged Ainsley as being off pretty early on Into my Season 1 watch.  It feels to me as if 5he show is trying to find a way not to hold psycho-Murder girl culpable for her actions, and it is not endearing.  However, this is the same show that thinks future serial killer i training Edrisa delightful.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, UnknownK said:

I figured they get dressed up for any guests even their kids (who don't live there anymore). Nobody wears expensive designer dresses and puts on slippers.

I figured they were just getting dressed for their day- any errands and appointments. We may only see Jessica at home typically but that doesn’t mean she actually spends all day there. 

• Love 1

I was annoyed by Edrisa tonight  Her school girl crush on Malcolm is like nails on a chalkboard. During the caffeine bender scene with Malcolm, it occurred  to me that the two of them could work together if she was dialed down to a 5. 
I know some of you want to see  more of JTs difficulties portrayed, but I don’t. It feels shoehorned, literally made for TV. Not every show has to have ‘ripped from the headlines’ plots and this show is one that should stay away from ‘being real’. 

On 2/10/2021 at 12:04 PM, UnknownK said:

No sleep since bodies kept coming in that needed work.

Which only makes sense in TV land, because I would assume that normal morgues have multiple staff that work shifts, so that all hours get covered.

On 2/10/2021 at 2:54 PM, UnknownK said:

Nothing like telling the viewers that racism is here forever since nobody will do anything about it when they have the chance.

I get what you're saying, but in most places, these huge red flag blow ups of racism are not a normal occurrence.  If this (or any other show) really wants to put a spotlight on racism, they need to show the little things that keep popping up.  And not just for one race.  Or one gender.  Or one disability.  Biased thinking is everywhere and most encounters are small (but smack a pretty large impact on the person affected), and it would be interesting for shows to address that instead of a huge blow-up that just smacks of jumping on a current bandwagon.    

• Love 2