Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Eggs

• Start Topic

Airs Feb. 11, 2021

After a visit to the gynecologist takes an unexpected turn, Kat must consider freezing her eggs if she ever wants to have children. Meanwhile, Max and Carter help Phil with his online dating to prevent him from getting catfished, but it turns out Phil may be the one catfishing.

I actually didn't hate this episode.  I even giggled a few times.  Kat is still annoying, though.  It did seem more like its own show than a direct copy of a Miranda episode, and that's probably a good thing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Haha it was pretty funny when Kat thought the guy at the ice cream place wanted to guess her weight 😄

Overall this was a really sweet episode, I loved the mature talk Kat and her crush had towards the end.

• Love 11

I'm starting to think that Kat isn't so much "quirky" as she is "challenged".  Walking around in public with a pillow under her shirt, pretending to be pregnant, is something I'd expect in a pre-teen or teenager, not a 39 year old.  It was kind of sad.

I liked the creepy customer, though.  His trying to be included in the little group hug made me laugh.

• Love 6

The storyline was good this week but the word puns are silly and don’t seem natural. And I was corrected when I said before that this seems like a coffee shop but in this episode you could see that everyone had only a drink and a pastry of some kind-not a full service restaurant. I didn’t know coffee beans were bad for cats so I learned something!

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Useful 2

I do think this episode was decent with a few laughs.  Neither of the stories were from the original series which may have been why.  They weren't trying to make stories that were told close to perfectly on the original show "their own" which ended up ruining them/taking away some of the humor.  

• Love 2

The kitty has an eyepatch! Kittypatch! 

Other than my weekly cat report, I thought this was one of the stronger episodes. Kat really walks the line between quirky and immature a lot of the time, especially this week walking around with her pillow baby, but I thought it did come from a real place, and the talk at the end was quite nice. I got some good laughs. 

In general I find this show to be flawed but quite charming. Of course, I've never seen Miranda so I have nothing to compare it to, so maybe that helps. 

• Love 10

So am I the only one old enough here who yelled "It's Long Duck Dong from Sixteen Candles!" when I saw the actor who played Henry?

The episode was enjoying, but not as many funny moments.  No Bridgeeeeeet reference.  I still like the cast waving goodbye at the end and got a hoot out of the actress who played the gyno hoisting a speculum in her hand

A general thought about the cats in the cafe roaming freely around the customers - would Kat have to have some special liability insurance in case one of the cats scratches or injures a customer?

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Egg freezing is not one of my favorite sitcom topics, nor is seeing an adult male in diapers, even if in fantasy, enjoyable for me.  Too much ick factor.  Phil catfishing was more funny.  Loved Nellie the Cat and the waving at the end.  I did get a laugh out of the ice cream shop owner and customers looking out the window at the pillow.

• Love 4

She looked like she had a gigantic third boob. I hope this is a one-off topic — keeping your options open is one thing, adding baby fever to her unrequited love for Max stretches the premise of being single yet happy at 39. Speaking of, I liked their chemistry early in the episode and could get behind a truly platonic friendship, but then they stuck him in a diaper. I hope the delivery guy wasn’t scared off.

I’m glad they introduced someone for Phil. Do we know anything about Phil’s background where he’d have $3500 to give the guy? Is the coffee shop a post-retirement gig to give him an activity?

Overall, one of their better episodes.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ctlady said:

So am I the only one old enough here who yelled "It's Long Duck Dong from Sixteen Candles!" when I saw the actor who played Henry?

The episode was enjoying, but not as many funny moments.  No Bridgeeeeeet reference.  I still like the cast waving goodbye at the end and got a hoot out of the actress who played the gyno hoisting a speculum in her hand

A general thought about the cats in the cafe roaming freely around the customers - would Kat have to have some special liability insurance in case one of the cats scratches or injures a customer?

That was the Donger??  

I feel so old all of a sudden...

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Sile said:

That was the Donger??  

I feel so old all of a sudden...

Here's Henry on Call Me Kat

4 hours ago, ctlady said:

"What's happenin', hot stuff?"

Epic!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

The kitty with the eye patch was beyond adorable! I want him, heh. 

I thought this was a decent episode and enjoyed it overall. 

The scene where Kat gets caught at the ice cream place with a pillow baby did make me cringe, though.  Second hand embarrassment, heh. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, ctlady said:

You are not. 

This is one of the better episodes. They seem to be hitting their stride. And I want a kitty apron. 

• Love 4
9 hours ago, ctlady said:

I'm guessing there's a standard waver her customers sign before they're let in (which again, is part of Crumbs and Whisker's MO, although usually you sign it online before making an appointment). Hopefully they have an anteroom with a second set of doors so the cats can't get out, that's where you'd wait to sign before coming in.

• Useful 2
15 hours ago, ctlady said:

I'm old enough but actually a little too old to have caught that.  I know I saw the movie at some point on TV but stuff like that never stuck.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, PinkRibbons said:

I'm guessing there's a standard waver her customers sign before they're let in (which again, is part of Crumbs and Whisker's MO, although usually you sign it online before making an appointment). Hopefully they have an anteroom with a second set of doors so the cats can't get out, that's where you'd wait to sign before coming in.

and

16 hours ago, ctlady said:

I don't know about Cat Cafes in other cities, but in DC, Crumbs and Whiskers brought in food from outside: i.e., the coffee from an actual cafe across the street and a few pastry/macaron shops nearby. You ordered and they ran and got it. You paid for an hour with the kitties (usually by online appointment), signed a release/waiver, and had your refreshments while interacting with cats. Of course you could pet them and play, but you could not pick up nor hold kitties unless kitty specifically wanted you to. Lots of rules, mostly to protect the cats. Lots of cushions on the floor so kitties could walk around and be on same level with humans. Lots of boxes and perches for them, too. Chairs for those of us who can't get down anymore! It was fun. Also, was in partnership with shelters and you could adopt any of the kitties, after screening. Our C&W had to close due to financial struggles during Covid-19, but they kept their Kitten Lounge. I'm not sure how that is doing or if it's open.

Edited by Ms Lark
  • Useful 6
  • Love 2
On 2/12/2021 at 5:34 AM, Ms Lark said:

This was better. They need to write more to Mayim's strengths rather than Miranda's.

Exactly!  Mayim reminded me more like Blossom in this episode.  She seemed warm, quirky and a tad neurotic 🙂

This episode also worked because it seemed more like an original episode instead of a copy of the UK version.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
17 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Phil catfishing was more funny.  Loved Nellie the Cat and the waving at the end.

Yeah, I thought the catfishing was the funniest part of the episode. And I loved Nellie the cat with the eye patch.

Sorry Kat, but if you think being pregnant is like putting a pillow under your top then you'll be in for a BIG surprise if you do get pregnant. And I never got to cut in line or free ice cream 😞 

I liked the talk at the end between Kat and Max but didn't need to see diaper man.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, foxfreakinmulder said:

Yeah, I thought the catfishing was the funniest part of the episode. And I loved Nellie the cat with the eye patch.

Sorry Kat, but if you think being pregnant is like putting a pillow under your top then you'll be in for a BIG surprise if you do get pregnant. And I never got to cut in line or free ice cream 😞 

I liked the talk at the end between Kat and Max but didn't need to see diaper man.

Is Kat even playing with a full deck?  She's supposed to be uber intelligent, and she has this mad crush on this one guy, yet she never thought about having a child by the age of 39?  The cheerful "gyno"  (aka her "gy-yes") [insert cringe here] suggests she have her eggs frozen like she's casually asking if she wants to get a flu shot this year.  Diaper man is a hard no for me.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Is Kat even playing with a full deck?  She's supposed to be uber intelligent, and she has this mad crush on this one guy, yet she never thought about having a child by the age of 39?

Is thinking about having kids in some way correlated to intelligence? I thought it made sense because kids was just something she might want at some time in the future. She seems like the type who would have been fine if she found out she couldn’t have kids. Since her mad crush doesn’t want kids that aspect doesn’t really seem relevant. 

1 hour ago, Dani said:

Is thinking about having kids in some way correlated to intelligence? I thought it made sense because kids was just something she might want at some time in the future. She seems like the type who would have been fine if she found out she couldn’t have kids. Since her mad crush doesn’t want kids that aspect doesn’t really seem relevant. 

Yes it is.  Intelligent people think about their future, don't breed willy nilly and prevent unwanted pregnancies, and realize a woman's fertile years are limited.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Yes it is.  Intelligent people think about their future, don't breed willy nilly and prevent unwanted pregnancies, and realize a woman's fertile years are limited.

I think when the right guy never came along Kat had probably already resigned herself to never being able to have kids given her age, but then when faced with the possibility of being able to have that option open indefinitely she thought "why not?" in case that guy ever materialized and having a child felt right for her.  Not every woman wants kids if it means being a single mother.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 10
11 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

Wait, how on earth did we get to breeding willy nilly and not preventing unwanted pregnancies in a conversation about a 39 year old woman with no children. There is nothing to indicate Kat was being irresponsible, didn’t realize that a woman’s fertile years aren’t unlimited or think about her future. Not every woman gives a lot of thought about having children. That doesn’t mean they are irresponsible or unintelligent. 

Edited by Guest
3 minutes ago, Dani said:

Wait, how on earth did we get to breeding willy nilly and not preventing unwanted pregnancies in a conversation about a 39 year old woman with no children. There is nothing to indicate Kat was being irresponsible, didn’t realize that a woman’s fertile years aren’t unlimited or think about her future. Not every woman gives a lot of thought about having children. That doesn’t mean they are irresponsible or unintelligent. 

You asked the question, "Is thinking about having kids in some way correlated to intelligence?"  I answered.  I didn't say anything about Kat being irresponsible.  I found the premise that Kat suddenly decided to put potential motherhood on hold because a gynecologist suggested egg freezing to be stupid because all this time she would have been thinking about her biological time clock ticking away if she wanted children and being the bright, intelligent woman she is would have heard or thought about her options by now.  Maybe this age 39 OB-GYN appointment was her wake-up call.  Everyone's mileage varies but time does run out.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

You asked the question, "Is thinking about having kids in some way correlated to intelligence?"  I answered.

Okay. First “thinking about having kids” is not synonymous being aware of sexual health and protecting yourself. Being sexual responsible should start long before most woman would even begin thinking about having kids. Thinking about how to protect herself and others from unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases is correlated to intelligence but that’s not the same thing. Second, there are many woman who never have to think about having kids because they don’t have sex with men for a variety of reasons. 

1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

I found the premise that Kat suddenly decided to put potential motherhood on hold because a gynecologist suggested egg freezing to be stupid because all this time she would have been thinking about her biological time clock ticking away if she wanted children and being the bright, intelligent woman she is would have heard or thought about her options by now. 

But Kat wasn’t sure if she wanted kids at all. She didn’t decide to put anything on hold. She does not want kids right now. She just wants to keep the possibility open. Plenty of woman are open to the possibility of having kids without ever thinking about a biological clock ticking away. I’m one of them. Kat was written as a woman who does not want kids right now and may never want kids or who may one day decide to adopt. 

Edited by Guest

I would prefer to take any more generalized planned parenthood options (including freezing eggs) and personal anecdotes and experiences to Small Talk, and let's keep talking about the actual episode.  Nuns and lesbians welcome too.  🙂

• Love 4
48 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Was it that the right guy never came along, or was it that Kat's expectations were way too high?   I am not saying she should "settle", though I hate that term because it congers up images of snootiness where someone feels as though they are better than someone else defined by appearance and/or wealth, etc.

I think the point was made better in "Miranda" than here that her not being attached by now was not by her choice but because she routinely scared men away with her awkwardness and tendency to blurt out inappropriately which nixed any chance of a relationship getting too far off the ground.  But we have already seen Kat do that in this series in previous episodes and even in this one by wearing the pillow in public and then trying to cover it over with comments that would only further put off a guy.

I think the message here is that it's going to take a "special" guy that can look past all that to appreciate the sweet person she is inside, but so far no one has given her that much of a chance.

ETA: to add the male perspective from my husband, she doesn't exactly look like Kaley Cuocco either.  It's all of the above plus her appearance that doesn't help.  Of course she could do a lot to improve that but being awkward and kwirky, she doesn't.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 1

Honestly, I don't think it's about appearance either.  Non-traditionally beautiful people (even hella ugly people, imo) find love and companionship all the time.  

It's just that she might not have put a priority on it because of other things in her life like school, teaching and now this cat cafe.  Sometimes people trip over love but once you're out of school, it can take a little more of an effort to put yourself out there via bars and dating apps.  

All I can think of with the diaper is that while most of us didn't need to see it, there are some gay guys with a diaper fetish who are going to be mighty pleased to have that screen cap. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
On 2/12/2021 at 5:32 PM, ctlady said:

That's who that was!!!

Well, last week was my least favorite episode so far but this week made up for it, one of the best I think. Phil and Kat were both more genuine and likeable than they've been. I hope we stay on this track. I had forgotten about Tara. Are we going to see her only when we need to be reminded that Kat's same-age friends are married moms? 

• Useful 1
20 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

Honestly, I don't think it's about appearance either.  Non-traditionally beautiful people (even hella ugly people, imo) find love and companionship all the time.  

It's just that she might not have put a priority on it because of other things in her life like school, teaching and now this cat cafe.  Sometimes people trip over love but once you're out of school, it can take a little more of an effort to put yourself out there via bars and dating apps.  

All I can think of with the diaper is that while most of us didn't need to see it, there are some gay guys with a diaper fetish who are going to be mighty pleased to have that screen cap. 

Of course, but I never meant that it was about her appearance alone.  It's about her appearance on top of her over-the-line quirky personality.  Both together take her to another level of "hard to match".  Plus quirky people are generally harder to match just because their personalities are often too much for the average person so there are fewer people that would like them anyway.  Put both together and it gets really difficult.   I know a guy just like Kat in a lot of ways.  Physically he's not the most attractive from a female POV plus about as icky/creepy/over the line quirky as Kat.  He's pushing 50 and still single, and not for want of trying.  Even most women can't go there with non-traditionally good looking AND a little too far on the quirky side.  And women are generally more forgiving about appearance, too.  Men are not.  How many seasons of "Married at First Sight" have taught me THAT?

Plus, I thought the premise of the show was that she had been out there trying for all those years but not finding anyone that would stick with her.  It's just a sad fact that not a lot of guys are going to be into her, even guys that technically are not that great looking or put together themselves.  I didn't mean any judgment on her.  Of course women like Kat can find people but it's just that much harder for someone not so traditionally pretty AND that much on the "quirky" side.   Men can and do forgive a lot more quirkiness for a pretty woman, it's just a sad fact. Of course men can find not-so-pretty girls attractive if they aren't too quirky but I meant that both together take her into a very hard category to match. 

• Love 1
On 2/14/2021 at 8:06 AM, icemiser69 said:

I would have liked to have seen how Kat acted prior to her father's death, and I do wonder if her personality shifted after his death.

I'm curious about this too. Between her father's recent death and leaving the demanding, competitive world of academia, this is definitely a transition period for Kat and I chalk some of her more over-the-top antics to a new "seize the day" attitude. I imagine that we're seeing an amped up version of her normal self- same basic quirkiness, but more adventurous.

I hope she does end up going on a date with the delivery guy (it would be nice to see him again). One thing I really like about Kat is that she doesn't stay down for long. We've seen her get rejected a few times, and she just shrugs it off and keeps going. She knows she's a lot to handle, and doesn't hold it against people when they don't "get" her. It's nice to see.

It was jarring to see Tara again out of nowhere. They really don't know what to do with her, do they? I think they should find a way to incorporate her into the group, or drop the character. I'd actually be fine with keeping her, since she provides a different perspective to Kat's problems, but right now it's just very weird to see "the gang" and then Tara in separate scenes.

• Love 5
On 2/12/2021 at 6:14 PM, icemiser69 said:

You mean in case there was a catastrophe?🐈

I was thinking there would be more of an issue with possible health code violations.

On 2/13/2021 at 3:05 AM, PinkRibbons said:

As far as I know, it seems to depend on local laws and health codes. I know of cat cafe's where the cats are separated from where people eat. Some where it's in the same room but you aren't to encourage the cats to play while you're eating. One place I knew of kind of ignored the whole "cafe" aspect and had kitchy cat things your could buy, but it was primarily about hanging out with and adopting out the cats. I've also been to a cat cafe that had both food and pastries/light lunch options (salad, soup, sandwiches) and kitties in the same room. I have yet to be to a cat cafe that had kittens, it's always adults of varying ages. There's one in Montreal that has a handful of permanent cats, and a rotating roster of adoptable cats. The cafe gives suggested times to come by based on how much interaction people want (ex, earlier for play, afternoons for chilling and maybe cuddles--it's up to the cats).

I enjoyed this episode, even though I got bad 2nd hand embarrassment from the ice cream shop scene. I full on LOLed and cackled at Phil's description of giving his momma insulin. I think he's my favourite character. I like that they're showing different pairings of the cast as friends outside of Kat. I forgot about Tara, though it makes sense she and the mother get along best. I'm curious how they'd interact alone with the other characters. I'm surprised we haven't really seen Phil and Kat's mom interact much considering they're closer in age. Not that it automatically means they should be friends, just that they may relate in different ways than they do with those younger than them.

Edited by Check Sanity
typos
  • Love 1
On 2/12/2021 at 6:56 AM, Gregg247 said:

I liked the creepy customer, though.  His trying to be included in the little group hug made me laugh.

I'll be your donor, however you want it done. LOL. I pretty much watch this because of Leslie Jordan.

His friendship with Carter. :)

Edited by nokat