Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Funeralia

• Start Topic

Returning from Rome to find someone has broken into her apartment, Cassie doubles down on finding Miranda - even if it means crashing Alex Sokolov's champagne-soaked memorial service at his family home.

Airdate: 26 November 2020

I'm kind of enjoying this show, but it makes me so anxious. I've never seen Kaley Cuoco in anything—I'm the one person who doesn't watch "The Big Bang Theory"—but her acting reminds me of Jennifer Aniston.

I'm finding this really frustrating because she's making the absolute wrong decision at every turn and being really obvious about it. Also, I really want her to get her hair out of her face. It just looks stupid when the front of her hair is down and all the rest of her hair is up.

If she was trying to be stealthy at the memorial, wearing that widow-y hat with the netting and having her cleavage out wasn't the way to do it. She's a mess.

How is she getting on planes without her ID? I assume even airline staff have to go through security, right?

• Love 10

I lost it laughing when her cell phone went off twice at the funeral. What was that ringtone? It’s bad enough that it went off but to have a skeezy song as a ringtone during a somber event was just crazy. 
I liked when the black flight attendant (can’t remember his name) says “who brings a +1 to a funeral” to one of the valets and he says “bitches right?” and he has to have a little talk with him. 
This is coming across more comedic than truly suspenseful, kind of like Dead to Me was. Both serious subjects but they’re just mostly just fun to watch. 
I never saw BBT either, so Kelly is new to me though I knew of her. She’s very entertaining. 

• Love 5

Since most of you guys have HBO Max, watch Kaley Cuoco on the animated series Harley Quinn, also on  HBO Max. It is an adult comedy that doesn't respect society or it's rules.

Good job pointing out the book, Cassie thought the book didn't fit Alex's personality and she took it with her and is constantly looking at it.

Cassie's father died, hopefully from an accident during an hunting trip, hopefully involving rabbits and deer. That would explain some the opening credits. Maybe she was startled by some animal when she was preparing to shoot.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I lost it laughing when her cell phone went off twice at the funeral. What was that ringtone? It’s bad enough that it went off but to have a skeezy song as a ringtone during a somber event was just crazy. 
(snip)

That would be Stacey Q's 80s hit Two Of Hearts.

The opening "I-I-I-I-I-I Need You" clip seems an appropriate ringtone for Cassie's lawyer roommate Annie, but I'm not the least bit surprised at the inconsiderate, disruptive funeral faux-pas. Cassie is an entertainingly inappropriate hot mess with excellent taste in one-night hookups and FWBs, but she's not the type to remember to put her phone on vibrate before attending a funeral.

And speaking of Annie, her not-boyfriend Max is hot too, but I don't trust him.

• Love 3

Ok, I binged all three episodes last night and I am digging this!

I think Kaley is doing a great job and I'm all in on her mental breakdown. 

Rosie Perez is perfection. When her husband first came in the house I thought "that looks like a DOD badge" and then she's stealing data for the Koreans? Crazy. There are layers on layers here and I am all for it.

Edited by Glory
  • Love 8
16 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I'm kind of enjoying this show, but it makes me so anxious. I've never seen Kaley Cuoco in anything—I'm the one person who doesn't watch "The Big Bang Theory"—but her acting reminds me of Jennifer Aniston.

I'm finding this really frustrating because she's making the absolute wrong decision at every turn and being really obvious about it. Also, I really want her to get her hair out of her face. It just looks stupid when the front of her hair is down and all the rest of her hair is up.

If she was trying to be stealthy at the memorial, wearing that widow-y hat with the netting and having her cleavage out wasn't the way to do it. She's a mess.

How is she getting on planes without her ID? I assume even airline staff have to go through security, right?

She has a passport, so would have no problem flying domestically or internationally.

I don't think I'm quite enjoying the show, but will keep watching. I'm just glad it's a limited series as eight or so episodes are probably all I can take. Anxious is a good word for how I feel when watching. That, and annoyed. I know Kaley's character is supposed to be a hot mess, but some of her actions are just so dumb and aggravating I can't take it. 

Edited by laugard
  • Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9

Anxious, yes, that’s what this show makes me. I spent half the episode echoing the lawyer friend by yelling at the tv, “get out, leave the funeral!”

Cassie is like a sailor, she’s got someone in every port. 

You don’t need a drivers license as ID to fly if you have a passport. I once lost mine in Mexico, not an issue at all, other than when I got home, having to get a whole new ID issued with a new number because I was worried about identity theft. 

• Love 2

What's Megan up to with cockblocking Cassie? That didn't seem like a coincidence to me.

"Cold water is at the top and bottom." Never heard that before. Had to google to find out what it meant.

Wonder how Megan got blackmailed into doing corporate espionage? Whatever, odds are her husband's job will know something was downloaded off their network via his laptop. It may generate questions to him which he won't know how to answer.

Cassie getting drunk at the wake of the guy she's suspected of murdering, a guy who's family are international criminals, is a new low even for her. I'm not finding her stupidity endearing or amusing, especially since it's largely due to her excessive drinking.

You'd think a major crime family would have a better shredder. It wasn't even a micro-cut. Cassie is definitely OCD enough to tape the shredded documents back together.

Cassie left her fingerprints all over the Sokolov house, including on the wine goblet she left in Janet Sokolov's office. If they didn't know who Cassie was before, they will now. And Annie will be in trouble for vouching for her.

Cassie's father died, hopefully from an accident during an hunting trip, hopefully involving rabbits and deer. That would explain some the opening credits. Maybe she was startled by some animal when she was preparing to shoot.

Possibly Cassie shot him and that's why he died? If so, the booze he gave her probably had the opposite effect than he intended. Guilt could in part explain why she's become dependent on alcohol.

• Love 2

I am really digging this.  I watched the first two episodes last night and the third today.   I actually do find Cassie endearing and the kind of person you might want to help because you see her falling apart.    I think this is the kind of show where you have to like Cassie even a little or the show won’t work for you.   Of course she is being stupid.  These thrillers always have the protagonists doing shady and incredibly ill advised things to move the plot along.  Your lawyer tells you to stay the fuck away from the family of guy you might have murdered so of course you attend his memorial because you think you might find a clue there.   And you kinda do but make yourself look even more shady in the process.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 6

I love that Cassie thought her funeral outfit was stealthy enough to blend in. I was glad that once Shane realized she had conveniently left out whose funeral they were attending, he told her off. The FBI spoke to all of the first class cabin crew so even though he seemed to have nothing to hide (his interview with the FBI totally cracked me up), attending his funeral might put him back under the spotlight. I'm 99% sure that he had nothing to do with Alex's death but you never know with murder mysteries! But at least he got to liase with Michael (with an M).

18 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

That would be Stacey Q's 80s hit Two Of Hearts.

The opening "I-I-I-I-I-I Need You" clip seems an appropriate ringtone for Cassie's lawyer roommate Annie, but I'm not the least bit surprised at the inconsiderate, disruptive funeral faux-pas. Cassie is an entertainingly inappropriate hot mess with excellent taste in one-night hookups and FWBs, but she's not the type to remember to put her phone on vibrate before attending a funeral.

And speaking of Annie, her not-boyfriend Max is hot too, but I don't trust him.

I still remember seeing Stacey Q on The Facts of Life! I was willing to believe Cassie was so stressed out that she forgot to turn her ringer off before entering the memorial service, but it was unforgivable that she didn't put it on silent after it rang the first time! Seriously? Your phone rings loudly in the middle of a father talking about his dead son and your entire reaction is to not accept the call? Think, girl! You just need to slide that little button over!

5 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Wonder how Megan got blackmailed into doing corporate espionage?

It didn't sound to me like she got blackmailed into it. She seemed excited at the first meeting we saw and she seems very cooperative, which made me think that they simply approached her about how unfairly her husband is being treated at work and told her that she could help him by doing this for them.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Finally got my HBO Max working on the TV and binge-watched all 3 last night.  A fun watch!  Someone made the comparison to Dead To Me and I think that's pretty accurate.  Even though it's about a murder, it's funny as hell!  And yes, Cassie is a freaking mess, but an endearing one.

What was that ringtone? It’s bad enough that it went off but to have a skeezy song as a ringtone during a somber event was just crazy. 

Hey! 2 of Hearts isn't skeezy! It's a romantic love song, LOL.

• Love 4
On 11/27/2020 at 7:42 PM, bilgistic said:

I keep seeing, or expecting to see, Christina Applegate whenever Kaley is on the screen. They don't really resemble each other at all, but the blond hair, the face shape and skin tone, and her constant state of panic reminds me so much of CA's character in Dead to Me.

• Love 2
On 12/22/2020 at 11:04 AM, perkie1968 said:

How on earth does she manage to function with that much alcohol constantly in her system?  She had like 989 glasses of champagne at the memorial.  If that were me, I'd be lying, drooling on the floor by the 5th one.  

Functioning is one thing, walking in heels after drinking that much is another!  That's some mad skill there.

I am loving Cassie's wardrobe.  There's gotta be another story behind the 2 extra passports in her drawer, because she's got some really nice clothes that look rather expensive.  I loved the red skirt/sweater combo she wore to Alex's office in Ep 2, and while the funeral dress was inappropriately low cut the capelet was killer!  She styles herself more European than American.  And she has a nice apartment.  A very nice apartment for NYC.  I know flight attendants can make decent money, but that comes with seniority, and Cassie is only in her 30's. 

So far I'm limiting myself to 1 episode per day, but I know when I get to the last 2 or 3 I'll binge them all at once.  I'm enjoying the slow reveal of Cassie's backstory, details from Bangkok filling in, etc. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, chaifan said:

There's gotta be another story behind the 2 extra passports in her drawer,

I thought the explanation given made perfect sense, they are either expired or full. I don't think there is a proper way of disposing of expired passports and most people would probably want to keep them, since they are like a scrapbook/journal of all the places you have been. I think even I would be interested in seeing the passport of somebody that has gone to a lot of different countries, and I am NOT a people person.

• Love 2
On 11/28/2020 at 2:06 AM, giovannif7 said:

And speaking of Annie, her not-boyfriend Max is hot too, but I don't trust him

When the not-boyfriend was flirt/reassuring Cassie’s BFF/lawyer Annie, the camera angle and lighting and makeup were all used to make it clear that Annie is a homely girl who this shallow guy can only be pretending to find attractive. 
But they’ve been together since before Cassie met 3c. 
This show isn’t likely to win awards, but kudos for a tricky plot.

ETA: I realize this show is derived from a book that I haven't read, so kudos to that author, KC for selecting the book, screen writers, etc. for the tricky plot. 

On 11/28/2020 at 12:55 PM, laugard said:

don't think I'm quite enjoying the show, but will keep watching

On 11/28/2020 at 3:17 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Cassie getting drunk at the wake of the guy she's suspected of murdering, a guy who's family are international criminals, is a new low even for her. I'm not finding her stupidity endearing or amusing, especially since it's largely due to her excessive drinking

My ex had a drinking problem, so this aspect of the show definitely turns me off, but not so much that I have to quit the show ––in part because Kaley/Cassie is “endearing.”  
And I enjoy her wardrobe. 
And I like the dead guy with the dialogue. 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

I hadn’t even thought of the boyfriend being suspicious, I just didn’t like his insisting that he’s her boyfriend, when she says that he isn’t.  

Edited by Anela
(edited)

That is a pretty shitty shredder for a family who launders money for the mob. You'd expect some cross shredding and immediate burning in a nearby fireplace.

Edited by Zonk
  • LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

I just started bingeing this before my HBO Max trial ends and this is the most recent episode I've seen yet.  I'm really liking it so far.  Kaley is a far better actress than she gets credit for.  My first experience with her was on BBT and I liked her there, but this role is really showcasing her talent.  I like it that the plot is incriminating more than one person to make it a "whodunit".  I could swear that so-called air marshal from the plane was that guy she kept seeing at the memorial.  I'm pretty sure he was the one on the plane that Megan explained was the new marshal when Cassie told her she felt like the guy was looking at her.  That might mean that Megan is actually in on things with him and the FBI since he did get into the FBI car after the memorial.  Or maybe they don't know that he's in cahoots with Megan and up to no good!

I loved the scene where Annie is calming Cassie down.  That was very realistic.  One of my best friends is a lawyer and we had a similar conversation after I fell and broke my arm in the parking lot at my job.  I was freaking out and he was calming me down and telling me things would be alright because he was going to help me.

One other thing I caught in an earlier episode is that Megan mentioned Cassie having dinner with C3 but she responded that she never told her that, which come to think of it I don't think she did.  So how Megan know?  And how is Miranda just showing up everywhere too?  When Cassie and Annie were way downtown at Federal Plaza there was no way Miranda would have known that unless she was following her or being tipped off by someone on the inside.  Megan acted suspicious when she followed Cassie around on her "date" in Rome.  They are all following her.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 1

So Annie has a shower in her living room that faces the front door, so anyone who walks in unexpectedly while a person is showering can get a nice show.  Is this a designing trend of which I was not aware?   

10 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

So Annie has a shower in her living room that faces the front door, so anyone who walks in unexpectedly while a person is showering can get a nice show.  Is this a designing trend of which I was not aware?   

Not unheard of.

I seem to recall one of the apartments where my daughter lived in NYC over the past 24 years had this “feature.”
There are tenants who will accept anything to have an address in Manhattan.

Many NYC apartments had shared bathrooms at the end of a hall in the 1920s, so a bathtub in the kitchen, for example, was an upgrade.

But, yeah, Annie could afford a renovation if she was emotionally attached to that location.

🤷🏻‍♀️

Not unheard of.

True, the bathtub in the kitchen was a thing at one time, but Annie's place is huge, updated and expensive.  She doesn't even have frosted glass on that shower!    

• Like 1