Type keyword(s) to search

Vintage Episodes: SNL Through the Years

• Start Topic

Tonight's vintage show is from From Nov. 2, 2013: Host Kerry Washington; Eminem performs.  That is not a pre- or post-election show, so I will look forward to seeing why this one is airing.  

• Love 2

Hoping someone can help me identify this episode/skit.

i would have seen the it in 1982-83ish, so it could be older.

guy is at a bar trying to pickup chicks...  striking out.  He sees a guy stuff his pants to make his crotch look bigger.  All the girls love the guy now.

main character goes in men’s room, finds overalls and stuffs them to the point that his crotch is 6 feet long.

next scene is him in the back of a cab with his junk out the window and the car is filled with girls.

thats what I remember, but I can never find any skit like that.  Maybe SNL maybe not???

thanks for any help!

It was painful to see Phil Hartman praising his wonderful wife Brynn. Especially with the juxtaposition of the cold open featuring OJ. I can't imagine which of TPTB thought this was a good decision. I had to turn it off.

• Love 5
On 11/24/2020 at 5:44 AM, Pete Martell said:

NBC has changed the upcoming Vintage episode - instead of Taylor Swift, it is now Phil Hartman/Bush from season 22. 

(on a needlessly morbid note, both hosts that Bush performed with were gone by the end of the '90s).

Who was the other one?

Between Phil's monologue where he professed his love for his "beautiful wife Brynn" to the Robert Smigel cartoon making fun of Michael Jackson's pedophilia allegations, this was...kinda a cringeworthy episode to sit through. I think they maybe should've stuck with the Taylor Swift one instead. 

Edit: I also noticed that the Thanksgiving song sketch was sort of a ripoff of an old Albert Brooks routine (off one of his comedy albums), where different people from all walks of life try to write a new national anthem. 

Edited by Phishbulb
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Who was the other one?

Madeline Kahn. 

1 hour ago, Phishbulb said:

Between Phil's monologue where he professed his love for his "beautiful wife Brynn" to the Robert Smigel cartoon making fun of Michael Jackson's pedophilia allegations, this was...kinda a cringeworthy episode to sit through. I think they maybe should've stuck with the Taylor Swift one instead. 

Edit: I also noticed that the Thanksgiving song sketch was sort of a ripoff of an old Albert Brooks routine (off one of his comedy albums), where different people from all walks of life try to write a new national anthem. 

They did a lousy job with the edit. There was no reason that TV Funhouse needed to be aired again.

Here are two other sketches (I would have happily seen either of these again):

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/gossip-show/n10921

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/acting-workshop/n10922

• Love 3

Wow, what a dumpster fire of an episode. From poor Phil Hartman praising his wife, to the endless OJ and MJ bits, to what I think was a rape 'joke' by Rodney Dangerfield (it was bleeped, but I think that's what it was), just, wow. Whoever thought it was a good idea to pick that out of oblivion and expose it to the light of day again, should be drawn and quartered.

• Love 7
On 11/25/2020 at 9:14 PM, Doc5555 said:

Hoping someone can help me identify this episode/skit.

i would have seen the it in 1982-83ish, so it could be older.

guy is at a bar trying to pickup chicks...  striking out.  He sees a guy stuff his pants to make his crotch look bigger.  All the girls love the guy now.

main character goes in men’s room, finds overalls and stuffs them to the point that his crotch is 6 feet long.

next scene is him in the back of a cab with his junk out the window and the car is filled with girls.

thats what I remember, but I can never find any skit like that.  Maybe SNL maybe not???

thanks for any help!

It's called "The Bulge," starring Jim Belushi, and was from the 84-85 season premiere.

https://bronwynjoan.com/blog/2017/7/8/classic-snl-review-october-6-1984-no-host-thompson-twins-s10e01

Due to music rights, it's not available on any official SNL outlets, sadly. 

Tonight's Vintage: Val Kilmer/U2 (season 26)

Next week: Chris Hemsworth/Chance the Rapper (season 41)

Week after: Kevin Hart/Foo Fighters (season 43 Christmas episode)

Edited by Pete Martell

My TV Grid says the Hermsworth episode is tonight.

9 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Tonight's Vintage: Val Kilmer/U2 (season 26)

But this episode holds a special place in my heart as my niece was born during the show. It was on in the hospital waiting room.

• Love 2

Moments that didn't air in the repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYyuo7gm-aQ (love Bobby at the end of this)

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/pirate-ship/2953437

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/male-strippers/2953439

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNmrR8SQ5Z0 (this one was fairly controversial)

17 minutes ago, Dr.OO7 said:

They're airing the Christmas compilation episode tonight.

I always love this.

Didn’t see that coming! I bet my daughter $100 we wouldn’t see anything we haven’t seen before. That’s okay though. Bag o glass, twin bed, topless Martha Stewart... good times. 

They really need to mix up the SNL Christmas special sketches. They could pull Martha Stewart, Consumer Probe, add Eddie Murphy elf and the Macy’s commercial. It’s time for a new edit of the special.

• Love 1
On 12/20/2020 at 8:48 PM, cpcathy said:

They really need to mix up the SNL Christmas special sketches. They could pull Martha Stewart, Consumer Probe, add Eddie Murphy elf and the Macy’s commercial. It’s time for a new edit of the special.

Usually they might just add one new bit a year or so - not sure if they have this year. 

I wish they could go back to the first, from the early '90s, as I loved it.

(speaking of the special, it's repeating tonight)

Maybe if they spread it out over 2-3 specials? I don’t know if we’d need 4-6 hours of clips, but the series has been on for ages. You’d have “Consumer Probe” AND “Santi-Wraps”! And the killer Christmas trees! Would Hanukkah Harry be pushing it? I still got his theme in my head.

• Love 1

This is the same mix they’ve used the last 2 years.  I would love if they split it up over a few weeks and show specific decades/eras. I would love the see the whole of “Dysfunctional Family Christmas” or the “It’s a Wonderful Life” sketch where the beat the crap out of Potter. Good times. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, ajsnaves said:

This is the same mix they’ve used the last 2 years.  I would love if they split it up over a few weeks and show specific decades/eras. I would love the see the whole of “Dysfunctional Family Christmas” or the “It’s a Wonderful Life” sketch where the beat the crap out of Potter. Good times. 

Fortunately I have the old SNL Christmas DVD that has all the GOOD stuff from the 70s/80s/90s, including Potter getting the shit beaten out of him. I make a point of watching it every year. Also love the Matt Foley bring a mall Santa skit, Dysfunctional Family Christmas, Mr. Robinson, and the Santy Wrap.

Not that the newer one they air on NBC is bad. I still love Jeff Bridges and Cookie Monster singing “Silver Bells.”

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, Pete Martell said:

Barring last-minute changes, tonight's Vintage will be Dolly Parton's double duty episode from season 14.

Next week's will be Nicole Kidman/Stone Temple Pilots from season 19. 

I love Nicole Kidman's 90s look. She was pretty in that era. Though the best she looked was in Moulin Rouge and Batman Forever.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Barring last-minute changes, tonight's Vintage will be Dolly Parton's double duty episode from season 14.

Next week's will be Nicole Kidman/Stone Temple Pilots from season 19. 

I had to check the news to make sure Dolly's okay.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate (and prefer) the true "vintage" episodes over the ones whose "vintage" is a couple of years ago, but it seems like often they only show the older episodes if something has happened to one of the guests or stars.  Maybe it just seems that way because those are the only ones I pay much attention to...

• Love 2

I actually wonder if they are showing this episode after the PR of Dolly "liking" Melissa's impression of her? Just a completely wild guess.

I love that they are showing more episodes from this era.  I remember watching that one live.

• Useful 1

Interesting episode! Always good to see Dolly. I was singing right along with her on the old classic 'Why'd You Come In Here', after which she called it her "new song". Yikes!

The mention of West Germany in 'Sprockets' reminded me that this episode was from April 1989, just eight months before the Berlin Wall came down.

Dana Carvey as the obnoxious restaurant guy, telling Tracey Ullman to "Wait at the bar" because no one watches Fox! (speaking of that, I always loved The Tracey Ullman Show, where is it? A million vintage TV channels out there and no one's showing it). And totally dissing Rob Lowe! This was right after that whole sex tape thing. 

Mike Meyers sure had a lot to do, considering he wasn't even a cast member yet.

Remember when Dennis Miller was a liberal and funny?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, DXD526 said:

The mention of West Germany in 'Sprockets' reminded me that this episode was from April 1989, just eight months before the Berlin Wall came down.

--->  Sprockets was great.  It's a shame they could never nail down a script for the movie, and now Meyers is too old

--->  Definitely.  I learned to program my VCR so I could go out Friday nights and come home and watch Dennis Miller Live on tape.  His close friends have said he was never as liberal as many people believed.  Regardless, he just went off the deep end after 9/11 and not long thereafter I told myself "I'm never watching this asshat again" and HBO fired him a week later.  Sad.

10 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Interesting episode! Always good to see Dolly. I was singing right along with her on the old classic 'Why'd You Come In Here', after which she called it her "new song". Yikes!

Dana Carvey as the obnoxious restaurant guy, telling Tracey Ullman to "Wait at the bar" because no one watches Fox! (speaking of that, I always loved The Tracey Ullman Show, where is it? A million vintage TV channels out there and no one's showing it). And totally dissing Rob Lowe! This was right after that whole sex tape thing. 

Mike Meyers sure had a lot to do, considering he wasn't even a cast member yet.

I loved the Tracey Ullman Show. I used to watch it as a kid and I still treasure those memories. Sadly, I would guess, beyond sketch comedy not being that profitable in syndication (I think the show did briefly run in repeats on Lifetime), it's also down to music rights. 

Mike really did hit the ground running in a way few cast members have. This may have encouraged Ben Stiller to leave, as he had the smaller roles most featured players usually have. I guess you can't say it hurt his career...

Here is the rundown for the full Dolly episode. 

https://www.onesnladay.com/2019/05/24/april-15-1989-dolly-parton-s14-e17/

• Love 1

I vaguely remember seeing the Nicole Kidman episode live, I remember her doing her Tom Cruise imitation. The Sprockets German Jeopardy I did not recall though, I must have fallen asleep by the time it came on originally. But it was the highlight of this rerun for me. Dieter and Sprockets were a favorite from that era.

• Love 3

Nicole’s SNL episode proved that she was destined for a better career than being just Mrs. Tom Cruise. I loved her in that skit with Mike Myers playing little kids.

Also the final Denise Show was classic. I almost forgotten she’d later appear in Adam Sandler’s Just Go With It. 

• Love 3

The Denise Show was funnier than I remembered! The way he telegraphs all the pathetic stuff he's going to do before doing it, then his father calling and screaming at him! 

German Jeopardy was great, too. Brought to you by German Eggos. Leggo my Eggo. Now!!

• Love 4
On 1/29/2021 at 12:39 AM, Pete Martell said:

(not sure if that first one will be changed out for Cicely Tyson/Talking Heads or not)

Well, they didn't change the first one. I guess they couldn't find it in time. I hope they have it by next week. I had no idea she was the first black woman to host.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dr.OO7 said:

Well, they didn't change the first one. I guess they couldn't find it in time. I hope they have it by next week. I had no idea she was the first black woman to host.

Cicely is a good host, but the episode has dated very badly - they will have to do some pristine editing to make that one work for 2021. I don't know whether it will repeat or not.

1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

Cicely is a good host, but the episode has dated very badly - they will have to do some pristine editing to make that one work for 2021. I don't know whether it will repeat or not.

They should. If they could repeat the very first episode to honor George Carlin when he died, they can repeat something from the fourth season. Besides, I like their tradition of honoring celebrities who have passed away by reairing the episodes that they hosted. It wouldn't look right if they didn't do that for Cecily.

• Love 2