Type keyword(s) to search

Vintage Episodes: SNL Through the Years

• Start Topic

The Val Kilmer episode from 2000 ... when he appeared in the monologue, I thought his hair was a hilarious joke and was waiting for the punch line. Then I realized he thought he was super stylin' with that 'do that made him look exactly like a Polish Crested chicken. Did people really wear their hair like that 22 years ago?

crested.jpg.e5560c63280a0cedac431b460900475a.jpg

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

I just realized that the Sweeney Sisters' opening from the 1988 Emmys is back on Youtube.

I can watch this over and over. From Jan's version of "Magilla Gorilla" to the heartfelt tribute to Mary Tyler Moore (who would later return the favor by playing the third sister) to the crazy sounds they were doing at the end to the tune of "Bonzana", there are so many wonderful parts. the one little part that is kinda cringe is the salute to Mike Tyson and Robin Givens as a new couple. Eww.

Oh yeah, telling Jack Lemmon they loved him in "Mister Rogers." 😁

Jan is still a top three of all time cast member for me.

• Love 5
On 9/15/2022 at 1:00 AM, vb68 said:

I just realized that the Sweeney Sisters' opening from the 1988 Emmys is back on Youtube.

I can watch this over and over. From Jan's version of "Magilla Gorilla" to the heartfelt tribute to Mary Tyler Moore (who would later return the favor by playing the third sister) to the crazy sounds they were doing at the end to the tune of "Bonzana", there are so many wonderful parts. the one little part that is kinda cringe is the salute to Mike Tyson and Robin Givens as a new couple. Eww.

Oh yeah, telling Jack Lemmon they loved him in "Mister Rogers." 😁

Jan is still a top three of all time cast member for me.

That was rude of Corbin Bernsen to say no!

Edited by heatherchandler
  • LOL 1

I watched the first five seasons on Hulu. I love that each episode was like a time capsule. Talking about the Shah! Pinto jokes. I was more than willing to pay for Peacock to watch the remaining seasons, but they're all hacked down. No musical performances at all! Some episodes are 35 minutes long. I'm in season 6 now. It's such a shame. 

• Love 3

As a boomer, I never really thought Coolio (RIP) was on my radar.  Thanks SNL Vintage - now I remember him!  Although I'm thinking he might have been the high point of that episode.

Edited by SoMuchTV
Spelling still counts, even a few days later.

That was a rough episode from a rough period for the show. Even WU wasn't funny (that bit with David Koechner as 'Gary Macdonald' went on way, WAY too long). Why was this picked for another airing? I don't know what the process is for choosing the vintage episodes, but I'd guess it involves a dartboard. 

My guess was singularly the version of Gangsta's Paradise with the live musicians and host of backup singers. That was a great arrangement. 

However, it looked like Farley made a cameo somewhere and that was cut. I don't get that. 

tbh, I don't care if any particular episode is garbage or a classic. I want to see the whole thing. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

My guess was singularly the version of Gangsta's Paradise with the live musicians and host of backup singers. That was a great arrangement. 

However, it looked like Farley made a cameo somewhere and that was cut. I don't get that. 

tbh, I don't care if any particular episode is garbage or a classic. I want to see the whole thing. 

I would guess Coolie is the sole reason that was chosen, although I enjoy a good amount of that episode  (Gary Macdonald, Hi-C and Turkey, the mafia sketch). 

2 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

I would guess Coolie is the sole reason that was chosen, although I enjoy a good amount of that episode  (Gary Macdonald, Hi-C and Turkey, the mafia sketch). 

Kind of eerie that the episode heavily featured three people who have died relatively recently (Aiello, Coolio, and Norm). Actually Bobbie Battista who was parodied in the cold open died in 2020 as well. 

• Sad 2
  • Useful 1

Here in Canada it lists a 1999 episode for Saturday at 11:30 PM EST, Brendan FRASER (not Gleeson LOL) and Busta Rhymes as the musical guest.  I really hope so because that'd be way more interesting than the Gleeson episode again.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
13 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Here in Canada it lists a 1999 episode for Saturday at 11:30 PM EST, Brendan FRASER (not Gleeson LOL) and Busta Rhymes as the musical guest.  I really hope so because that'd be way more interesting than the Gleeson episode again.

My on screen guide says the same thing.  I too would approve of this. Although I did enjoy Brenden Gleeson’s episode.  Wasn’t the Brendan Fraser episode shown recently in the prime time slot?

• Love 3

SNL is showing its annual Christmas compilation, and the skit with Eddie Murphy as a crazed elf, describing a polar bear attack, was just on (from his return in 2019 or 2020!). Forgot how hilarious it was!

And now, Steve Martin with his Christmas wish, that keeps getting revised.

I'm sure the Schweddy Balls skit will be on...

LOL!

I had forgotten all about the old "TV Funhouse" shorts. And one of the best was just on, "Christmastime For The Jews", sung by none other than Darlene Love.

The '60s style stop motion style just added to its awesomeness!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 12/14/2022 at 8:18 PM, WendyCR72 said:

SNL is showing its annual Christmas compilation, and the skit with Eddie Murphy as a crazed elf, describing a polar bear attack, was just on (from his return in 2019 or 2020!). Forgot how hilarious it was!

That was a classic, but I’m mad they left out the It’s A Wonderful Life alternate ending. Come on, hasn’t Schweddy Balls gotten old?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 12/14/2022 at 8:18 PM, WendyCR72 said:

I had forgotten all about the old "TV Funhouse" shorts. And one of the best was just on, "Christmastime For The Jews", sung by none other than Darlene Love.

The '60s style stop motion style just added to its awesomeness!

I’m trying to remember all the Christmas-themed TVFH bits. Off the top of my head: the “Fun With Real Audio” with the disillusioned Jesus, the one from 2000 where Santa skipped the states that voted for Dubya, “The Narrator That Ruined Christmas” (the snowman from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer bottoms out after 9/11), the “flashback” where the Harlem Globetrotters go back in time to the Nativity, one Ambigously Gay Duo sketch, “Christmastime For The Jews” . . . and I think that’s it. Oh, and “Tingles the Christmas Tension” from the Comedy Central series. Stop-motion fun and depression!

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

That was a classic, but I’m mad they left out the It’s A Wonderful Life alternate ending. Come on, hasn’t Schweddy Balls gotten old?

Schweddy Balls will NEVER get old, as long as people have filthy minds. 😋

The one I'm sort of bummed they removed - as it had been shown in years past - was the Mainway Toys skit with Dan Aykroyd as the scummy toy president - and either Jane Curtin or Candice Bergen, appalled at how he sells stuff like bags of broken glass to kids. LOL!

They could have EASILY removed the skit of the three that claimed that Santa was real, describing their experience. Didn't laugh once there.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The one I'm sort of bummed they removed - as it had been shown in years past - was the Mainway Toys skit with Dan Aykroyd as the scummy toy president - and either Jane Curtin or Candice Bergen, appalled at how he sells stuff like bags of broken glass to kids. LOL!

I watched it and definitely saw Candice and the Bag o Glass this year. And I know it was the current one because it also included the new Martin Short as Scrooge.

6 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I watched it and definitely saw Candice and the Bag o Glass this year. And I know it was the current one because it also included the new Martin Short as Scrooge.

Huh! Maybe I took a bathroom break or something.

But glad it was shown - even if I missed it! (But I stand firm that the "Santa is real!" sketch was not funny.)

53 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

Huh! Maybe I took a bathroom break or something.

But glad it was shown - even if I missed it! (But I stand firm that the "Santa is real!" sketch was not funny.)

You mean the podcast?

Another bit stuck in my head: “Hanukkah Harry Saves Christmas.”

1 minute ago, Lantern7 said:

You mean the podcast?

I don't think so? It was three people sitting in front of some panel, detailing how they saw/met Santa. Two had a great experience, while one was rambling on about being forced to do work or whatever.

Oh, YT has it. Still didn't laugh:

8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I’m trying to remember all the Christmas-themed TVFH bits. Off the top of my head: the “Fun With Real Audio” with the disillusioned Jesus, the one from 2000 where Santa skipped the states that voted for Dubya, “The Narrator That Ruined Christmas” (the snowman from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer bottoms out after 9/11), the “flashback” where the Harlem Globetrotters go back in time to the Nativity, one Ambigously Gay Duo sketch, “Christmastime For The Jews” . . . and I think that’s it. Oh, and “Tingles the Christmas Tension” from the Comedy Central series. Stop-motion fun and depression!

Apparently, there was a Peanuts-themed TV Funhouse short, too. Now that I saw it again on YT, I do recall seeing it when on TV.

3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Apparently, there was a Peanuts-themed TV Funhouse short, too. Now that I saw it again on YT, I do recall seeing it when on TV.

Oh, right. "If we wave our hands up and down, we make something better!" How could I have forgotten about that?

• LOL 2
On 12/16/2022 at 4:36 PM, WendyCR72 said:

Oh, it was definitely in this year.

On 12/16/2022 at 4:36 PM, WendyCR72 said:

They could have EASILY removed the skit of the three that claimed that Santa was real, describing their experience. Didn't laugh once there.

Or the one with Jason Mamoa as an elf who caught his kid discovering masturbation.

I'm glad the Serial parody was cut this year. I never found that one funny. 

On 12/16/2022 at 9:22 PM, Lantern7 said:

Another bit stuck in my head: “Hanukkah Harry Saves Christmas.”

I miss this one. And "You're A Rat Bastard, Charlie Brown." But I know they didn't want to stuff the special full of sketches from the Martin Short/Paul McCartney episode from ten years ago, even though it was fantastic. (Honestly, I'm glad a bunch of sketches from Jimmy Fallon's Christmas episode got culled)

On 12/17/2022 at 5:32 AM, WendyCR72 said:Apparently, there was a Peanuts-themed TV Funhouse short, too. Now that I saw it again on YT, I do recall seeing it when on TV.

Of Smigel’s many Peanuts/Christmas TV Funhouse pieces, this is easily my favorite of his; airing in the great Al Gore/Phish Christmas show of season 28 (and one of the highs of an otherwise overall subpar year); the ending in particular is both so sweet & wholesome; capturing the sheer joy of the Peanuts perfectly.

Tomorrow's Vintage will be Sigourney Weaver and the Ting Tings from season 35. 

An interview with Neil Levy, Lorne's cousin, who was involved in the show's early years in various roles, including talent coordinator (and he made several oncamera appearances).

Robert Smigel helped get another classic Phil Hartman sketch (which Robert wrote with Bob Odenkirk) uploaded to Youtube.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but this account is so much fun.  The person running it is quite thoughtful, in that each day's post is somehow relevant to the current day, i.e. it is the host or musical guest's birthday :

This post in particular was insanely clever

as the host and the musical guest are currently in a movie together :) 

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Like 2
On 1/20/2023 at 6:34 PM, Pete Martell said:

Tomorrow's Vintage will be Sigourney Weaver and the Ting Tings from season 35. 

Laser Cats!  And one of the surviving geese on the one-year anniversary of the murder on the Hudson!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Laser Cats!

"RIPLEY!!!!" "Believe it or not!"

I've never seen Avatar. It's more that I haven't made the time to watch. I know the franchise through skits like the one they ran last night, the one they did on the live show last night, and two bits from Robot Chicken (as seen here) (good luck getting that song out of your head)

• Like 3