Type keyword(s) to search

Vintage Episodes: SNL Through the Years

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I'm old enough to remember when Steve Martin "played" a banjo during skits.

Until today, I had no Idea he was this good.

This is the best performance of anything I ever saw on Letterman

And just for good measure

Steve's good.  Really good. 

• Love 10

I posted this in the Freaks & Geeks thread a while back, but it probably deserves a mention here as well:

I’ve been rewatching occasionally on Hulu, and I just started The Garage Door. What can you say about a show that was made 20+ years ago, set 40+ years ago, and they can lead with a joke about how SNL isn’t what it used to be!

• Love 2

Okay, so I posted the about video of Foggy Mountain Breakdown without actually watching it.  Because - Steve and Earl and FMB!  And I just watched it, and it's good.  But... it's not the performance I thought it was.  So, here's my actual favorite Letterman show performance ever.  I went out and bought the album after.  It's really good. I hope you all enjoy this.  And I promise not to hijack this thread with Letterman musical performances again. 

• Love 5
On 10/4/2021 at 8:10 PM, ebk57 said:

Okay, so I posted the about video of Foggy Mountain Breakdown without actually watching it.  Because - Steve and Earl and FMB!  And I just watched it, and it's good.  But... it's not the performance I thought it was.  So, here's my actual favorite Letterman show performance ever.  I went out and bought the album after.  It's really good. I hope you all enjoy this.  And I promise not to hijack this thread with Letterman musical performances again. 

Loved this!!  Thank you!  

• Love 1
On 10/6/2021 at 12:16 AM, Pete Martell said:

The next two Vintage episodes are:

Brendan Fraser/Bjork (season 23)

Daniel Craig/The Weeknd (season 45)

^^ Looks like this one (tonight) is one with Norm in the cast.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

^^ Looks like this one (tonight) is one with Norm in the cast.

Thanks! I was wondering about the significance of this episode airing now.

5 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Ouch that was a painful WU. Was that the best Norm example they could find? 

Norm was pretty up and down (as most Update anchors are, I suppose). This was near the end of his tenure. He doesn't quite get back into the groove until his last Update.

Did they include the sketch where Brendan sings about his best friend, while the cast look on awkwardly? Norm wrote that about how weird he found Brendan and Chris Kattan to be the week Brendan hosted, IIRC.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Did they include the sketch where Brendan sings about his best friend, while the cast look on awkwardly? Norm wrote that about how weird he found Brendan and Chris Kattan to be the week Brendan hosted, IIRC.

I didn't catch the whole episode.  I may go back and check out the parts I missed, but there's a lot of stuff that's ahead of it.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Yes, that was included. Knowing the back story now makes the sketch better. Or at least now it makes more sense!

I did LOL at the end of the Xena sketch. That one was golden.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:
10 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Yes, that was included. Knowing the back story now makes the sketch better. Or at least now it makes more sense!

Oh right, I went back and saw that.  The other cast members were gathered around in various costumes, and one of them looked like someone out of Hamilton.  Then there was a joke about him being in a hip-hop Napoleon production.  Should have pursued that when you had the chance, guys!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I was wondering why the Daniel Craig episode was shown since it's so recent, then realized why after watching the Rami Malek live episode directly after. I didn't mind seeing it again though because I love The Weeknd and "The Couch" video is one of my all-time favorites, worth seeing again if just for that.

• Love 1

Happy Halloween, everyone. 

It's been 40 years since the Donald Pleasance/Fear episode aired. There's a rundown here (whether all the details are right, we'll never really know), which includes a tidbit I'd never known before - that Black Flag was also booked to play SNL before this performance. 

https://www.denofgeek.com/culture/snl-halloween-fear-punk-rock/

Dennis Perrin, Michael O'Donoghue's biographer, tweeted a cut sketch from this episode, written by Nelson Lyon and Terry Southern: 

I wasn't sure where to put this, but since the main talk of SNL is its first five seasons,  I decided to just post it here. It's a new Garrett Morris interview.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/snl-veteran-garrett-morris-dave-chappelle-comic-genius-1235036790/

• Love 3

The yearly special featuring clips from past Christmas sketches is scheduled for Friday, November 26--just a few days after the Thanksgiving one.  It's another example of the networks scheduling Christmas programming that I want to see a bit earlier than I would like, but I suppose I can just record it (or watch it on demand).

Also, the Christmas special airs at 9:30, so it's only 90 minutes this year, even though the Thanksgiving one is still two hours.  That's kind of weird, because they seem to have more good Christmas sketches than Thanksgiving.  I don't always see the Thanksgiving one, but I remember some comments that it had a lot of sketches that were just chosen because it had people eating dinner and weren't really tied to Thanksgiving.

Edited by KWalkerInc
Added comment about length of special.
  • Useful 2
On 11/12/2021 at 7:05 PM, Pete Martell said:

Tomorrow's Vintage is Liam Neeson/Modest Mouse, from season 30. 

My first thought: oh yeah, another recent repeat. My next thought: oh yeah, season 30 is like 17 years ago!

Looking forward to seeing if there’s some current tie-in.

ETA. Oh wow, that was kind of a sweet spot of cast members I’ve liked (Amy, Tina, Seth,  Maya, Will, Jason, Fred, and featuring Keenan!) but I don’t remember anything at all from when the episode originally aired.

I still wonder how they choose the vintage episodes. Sometimes it’s obvious, sometimes it’s really not!

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Love 2

33 minutes ago, Kermitthefrog99 said:

Hello, I was wondering if any of you know what episode of saturday night live was on back on Saturday November 13th at 10pm est?

Thank You for any replies.

There's a thread about vintage episodes that should answer your question:

Vintage Episodes: SNL Through the Years

Edited by tracyscott76

Kudos to the editing team  for cleaning up the Lucy Liu episode as best they could. I would have cut more of Update but they kept the best of the episode and did not include some real trash...

Jason Sudeikis filmed a Stories From The Show feature which was uploaded a few weeks ago. I'd say it's the best so far:

Dean Edwards and Judy Belushi Pisano were each recently interviewed about their experiences with SNL and lives after that point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPGQkxT0P6U

• Love 2

I always enjoyed Gemini's Twin. Fun stuff.

And I never forgot. "Hello I'm Carson Daly, and I'm a massive tool." 😄

I think about that every time I see Carson.

Edited by vb68
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, vb68 said:

I always enjoyed Gemini's Twin. Fun stuff.

And I never forgot. "Hello I'm Carson Daly, and I'm a massive tool." 😄

I think about that every time I see Carson.

It's funnier to me now after they both spent decades working on various NBC shows. 

The Vintage for January 1st is the Eddie Murphy episode from season 45. 

• Love 2

For the second week in a row I am going to have to tip my hat to the  editing team for managing to scrape together a decent episode, excising a truly terrible Mango sketch (sorry to any fans) and the entirety of a Rudy Guiliani Update segment that is seared into my brain but new viewers should not have to face. 

I do wish they had found a way to get this in (I would have junked the cold open, but I guess they can't for format reasons):

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 12/18/2021 at 11:14 PM, Pete Martell said:

excising a truly terrible Mango sketch (sor

That's too bad. I always thought those Mango skits were stupid, but I never saw that particular one and I really wanted to. It makes perfect sense that if he's so sexy he could turn straight men gay, he could turn a lesbian straight.

It was also nice to see the "good nights" on the ice rink, as per tradition.

Not to mention Giuliani from before he went insane. For what it's worth, I thought his holiday wishes were quite touching.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, stonehaven said:

All I wanted from this episode was Ellen's dig at Anne Heche in the monologue. That's all I recll and still the funniest thing she ever said. They left it in. I'm happy and don't care about the rest..

Thank you for that mention.  I was trying to figure out why that one line got such a big reaction.

One thing that took me aback was when the Snowman Narrator was going through the list of things that were terrible in the world, and one of them was "we're still in Afghanistan".  In December of two-thousand-freakin-ONE.  Dude, bless your heart.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

That's too bad. I always thought those Mango skits we're stupid, but I never saw that particular one and I really wanted to. It makes perfect sense that if he's so sexy he could turn straight men gay, he could turn a lesbian straight.

I  should say that my  criticism wasn't the whole lesbian-to-straight aspect (none of that was treated seriously or in a derogatory way) and more that the whole sketch just feels  very tired and dead to me. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

They really should air the entire show given that it's Betty White, and that was such a famous episode. Just saying.

21 hours ago, KWalkerInc said:

I wonder if they will change this week's vintage episode (though I think I would be too sad to watch if they do).

A few of the cut sketches:

I think there was also a Pretty Living I can't find right now.

• Love 6