Type keyword(s) to search

Vintage Episodes: SNL Through the Years

• Start Topic

On 9/18/2020 at 4:08 PM, Pete Martell said:

Tomorrow's Vintage is Janet Jackson (2004).

Janet Jackson as Condoleezza Rice in the cold open followed by Maya Rudolph as Condoleezza during Weekend Update. Have they ever had two different cast members impersonate the same person in different sketches in the same episode before or since? I thought it worked in this case because they were two different takes and different jokes. 

• Love 1

The Janet Jackson episode reminded me once again why I quit watching during this season. Nothing caused me to even crack a weak smile. The Pampers Thong commercial at the very end was the high point, hardly worth wading through an hour for though. And while I love Janet Jackson, her performance proved she has a dance group worthy of being on WOD, but singing ... not so much. They could have at least turned up the track so viewers could hear the song, if it was even being played.

And what was up with this episode showcasing cast members who were no longer cast members. Disappointing.

• Love 2

So I took advantage of Peacock having all seasons of SNL to watch the lost 80s/Dick Ebersol/Eddie Murphy episodes. A bunch of stuff was obviously cut but the stuff that was left in that wasn't Eddie Murphy...WOOF. That was pretty bad.

And I'm pissed that the Howard Hesseman February 1983 episode cut out the lost music video "West Heaven" tribute to John Belushi for the one year anniversary of his death. I know it was probably copyrighted or something but still, what the hell NBC?! You shouldn't hold out on the good stuff!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Tonight's Vintage will be Tom Hanks/Keith Richards, the 88-89 season premiere.

Thanks, I don't believe I have ever seen that one, amazingly.  That must be around "Big" time.  

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Tonight's Vintage will be Tom Hanks/Keith Richards, the 88-89 season premiere.

I was never a huge fan of Hans and Franz at the time, but I appreciated "Hear me now and believe me later" and the absurd stretch from washboard abs to laundry to dry cleaner, and found it refreshing that the cold open was not the debate. 

Really loved the ad for the bank that makes change. 

• Love 6

In "Peacock" (still free access, I believe), there is a section on television Hallowe'en shows, and the David Pumpkins episode is included.  I know the sketch is out there in many viewing options, but I was glad to see it included as a classic Hallowe'en show.  

5 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Tonight's Vintage is Kate Hudson/Radiohead. You can get a look here at a full episode review and that way you can check later to see what didn't make the Vintage cut.

https://www.onesnladay.com/2020/02/17/october-14-2000-kate-hudson-radiohead-s26-e2/

Is this being aired as another pre-election SNL show?  I don't remember specific Bush-Gore sketches, but they must have been there.  

On 10/18/2020 at 7:20 AM, M. Darcy said:

It was the famous “I can’t believe I’m losing to that guy” Sketch. 

Yes, as soon as the sketch started, I began to hope it was *that* sketch!  Best quote!  

• Love 2
On 10/30/2020 at 6:38 PM, Pete Martell said:

Vintage this week is Dana Carvey/Wallflowers, likely due to the debate sketch.

(you can guess, reading through this, one sketch that will probably not be seeing the light of day)

https://www.onesnladay.com/2020/02/18/october-21-2000-dana-carvey-the-wallflowers-s26-e3/

It ran during the Comedy Central years, but WOOF. Yeah, that ain't being seen again.

And man, what a quaint time when Bush/Gore was literally a coin flip of an election, where even HW claimed to be undecided. Everybody blames Florida, but Gore wasn't doing himself any favors during the election, he really was trying to pretend he wasn't involved with anything Clinton did. I was 13 at the time, and even I knew that once he lost Tennessee (his home state), he was screwed.

• Love 3

A flashback of the chaos before a historic clusterfuck, right before another clusterfuck that we’ve yet to live through?!? Thanks, NBC! 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Heh . . . an Anna Nicole impression before her reality show revealed how really messed up she was. Now I got Joe Rogan’s routine about her husband blaring in my head.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 2

With TED LASSO being a critical and word of mouth hit is it safe to say the "Class of 2005" is the best feature player lineup in the show's history?

IMG_20201102_101434.thumb.jpg.17de84232c40ea1fe3c4c1680bcd6608.jpg

There have been countless featured players over the years but to have four start in one season and go on to outside success, much last more than five seasons the way Andy Samberg, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader and Jason Sudeikis have is rare. And they didn't have to struggle in the background for a long time either. I remember Bill making an impact when he did his Pacino impression early on, Kristen and Jason when they did their first "Two A-holes" sketch and Andy when he and Chris Parnell did the "Lazy Sunday" video together.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

With TED LASSO being a critical and word of mouth hit is it safe to say the "Class of 2005" is the best feature player lineup in the show's history?

There have been countless featured players over the years but to have four start in one season and go on to outside success, much last more than five seasons the way Andy Samberg, Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader and Jason Sudeikis have is rare. And they didn't have to struggle in the background for a long time either. I remember Bill making an impact when he did his Pacino impression early on, Kristen and Jason when they did their first "Two A-holes" sketch and Andy when he and Chris Parnell did the "Lazy Sunday" video together.

I'd say it's the best and also the most successful. They were fortunate to come on the show when they did (Maya was on maternity leave so Kristen had a good 'in' as only two other women were in sketches most of the time, and the male side of the cast was, with a few exceptions, weak or horribly used) but they also had so much charisma and talent. It makes me sad that after that great debut they never really got the quality of material they deserved and in some cases (Wiig in particular) have been much better served post-SNL.

• Love 3
On 11/2/2020 at 12:30 PM, VCRTracking said:

IMG_20201102_101434.thumb.jpg.17de84232c40ea1fe3c4c1680bcd6608.jpg

No, because Wiig.

Hey, while we're at it, what's all this fuss about a presidential erection?

• LOL 1
16 hours ago, JZL said:

No, because Wiig.

Hey, while we're at it, what's all this fuss about a presidential erection?

41 minutes ago, VCRTracking said:

I hope that's a typo!

I just assumed it was a tribute to Emily Litella (or was it Roseanne Roseannadanna?  I can never remember which is the "never mind" one.  Let alone how to spell their names 🙂 )

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1

I should say like Pete Martell maybe not the best(because Wiig is divisive) but the most successful then, although a friend reminded me of Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, David Spade, Rob Schneider and Chris Rock in the 1990 season.

9 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I just assumed it was a tribute to Emily Litella (or was it Roseanne Roseannadanna?  I can never remember which is the "never mind" one.  Let alone how to spell their names 🙂 )

Your first instincts were correct, and I think so are your spellings.

• Useful 2
7 minutes ago, JZL said:

Your first instincts were correct, and I think so are your spellings.

Okay then, Mr/Ms expert 🙂. Which one was it then?  I’m leaning toward Emily. I’m sure I could look it up but that feels like cheating at this point. 

9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I should say like Pete Martell maybe not the best(because Wiig is divisive) but the most successful then, although a friend reminded me of Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, David Spade, Rob Schneider and Chris Rock in the 1990 season.

That was also a strong group (add the wonderful Tim Meadows and Julia Sweeney), but the Spade/Farley/Sandler trio made me quit watching the show several years so I am too petty to fully acknowledge. 

1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

That was also a strong group (add the wonderful Tim Meadows and Julia Sweeney), but the Spade/Farley/Sandler trio made me quit watching the show several years so I am too petty to fully acknowledge. 

They provided a youthful energy to the show when they first arrived that was refreshing at the time. The problem was later after Carvey, Lovitz and Hartman left and they became the main guys, their style of dumb juvenile humor dominated and without the intelligence that would even a bad sketch interesting.  The word I would describe that whole 94-95 is "sloppy".

• Love 2
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Okay then, Mr/Ms expert 🙂. Which one was it then?  I’m leaning toward Emily. I’m sure I could look it up but that feels like cheating at this point. 

You are correct - it was Emily Litella.

• Useful 2
11 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

They provided a youthful energy to the show when they first arrived that was refreshing at the time. The problem was later after Carvey, Lovitz and Hartman left and they became the main guys, their style of dumb juvenile humor dominated and without the intelligence that would even a bad sketch interesting.  The word I would describe that whole 94-95 is "sloppy".

That was almost on the verge of cancellation then.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

In the ET zone, at least, there's a sports game of some sort scheduled.

Aha!  That is the reason the Pacific Time Zone gets Dateline!  (After the 8:30 live show). Thanks! 

The Martin Short episode airing tonight had the very first Celebrity Jeopardy sketch with Trebek and Connery.  Quite appropriate.

Oh Man, that was so sweet. They ended the sketch with the clip of Alex Trebek on the show saying goodnight with Will Ferrell and Darrell.

Then it went to a Jeopardy style question.

This man is the greatest gameshow host of all time.

Who is Alex Trebek?

Edited by vb68
  • Love 6

The Trebek tribute was sweet, and classy.

They really cut that episode to ribbons and made some odd choices on what to keep (especially that talk show sketch). 

Here is the original episode rundown:

https://www.onesnladay.com/2019/11/16/december-7-1996-martin-short-no-doubt-s22-e8/

This has two sketches that weren't in the repeat. (the mattresses one is my favorite - the Mickey the [can't say that word] sketch is OK but I don't care for the ending)

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/season-22/episode/8-martin-short-with-no-doubt-63296

• Love 4
1 hour ago, vb68 said:

The Martin Short episode airing tonight had the very first Celebrity Jeopardy sketch with Trebek and Connery.  Quite appropriate.

Oh Man, that was so sweet. They ended the sketch with the clip of Alex Trebek on the show saying goodnight with Will Ferrell and Darrell.

Then it went to a Jeopardy style question.

This man is the greatest gameshow host of all time.

Who is Alex Trebek?

Thanks so much for this -- it will air in about two hours on the West Coast, and I had not realized the significance of this episode.

• Love 2

One thing that struck me about the Martin Short episode last night was how "short" the cold open and monologue were (even though that particular monologue seemed to go on forever).  Twelve minutes in and we were up to "we have a great show for you tonight!"  FF'd through a little of the Chris Rock episode, and it was more that twice as long to get to that point.

• Love 1
On 11/14/2020 at 11:45 PM, Pete Martell said:

They really cut that episode to ribbons and made some odd choices on what to keep (especially that talk show sketch).

The voice Short was using for his character in that sketch was almost Jiminy Glick-esque. I don't know if he had started doing Glick yet or if this was kind of a dry run for the character.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

The voice Short was using for his character in that sketch was almost Jiminy Glick-esque. I don't know if he had started doing Glick yet or if this was kind of a dry run for the character.

I think this may have been the early days but I am not sure. 

Julia Stiles briefly mentions her SNL hosting appearance in a Random Roles interview.

https://tv.avclub.com/1845693746

I forgot to post the two sketches that were cut from the Maya Rudolph Vintage repeat:

• Love 1