Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: The Silence of E. Lamb

Aria and Spencer go to great lengths to get answers, while Emily and Hanna are put in uncomfortable positions. Aria begins her volunteer work at Radley and quickly gets down to business finding any answers she can about a patient of interest to the Liars. But she quickly hits a snag when she comes across an aggressive patient that might be the key to what the Liars are looking for. Also searching for answers, Spencer takes a page from Ezra's play book by borrowing some of his spy equipment to keep a closer eye on the home front. Meanwhile, Hanna is caught at odds when Ali and Caleb butt heads, and Emily seeks help from her friends when her mom invites Ali over for dinner. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10bN5HdhvjE

More Radley shenanigans! I wish they would have done a spin-off about Radley instead of stupid Ravenswood.

• Love 3

It finally sounds like Aria is working the case and possibly in danger while another Liar is playing house and has relationship drama! I'm ready to enjoy the episode just for that.

• Love 1

Spencer takes a page from Ezra's play book by borrowing some of his spy equipment to keep a closer eye on the home front.

This is so twisted, and I totally love it.  I just love Spencer in detective mode, and can't wait to see what Spencer digs up by secretly filming her family...with cameras borrowed from her somewhat sociopathic English teacher who spied on her and her friends "for years," however long that is in Rosewood time.  My bet is the recording catches Mrs. H doing something shady.  She just has to be in on this somehow, as she has the most motive, and is pretty much the only Hastings who hasn't come under serious suspicion by Spencer.  Gotta love those Hastings!

• Love 2

I adore drunk Hannah almost as much as I love sober Hannah.. as long as both are truth tellers.  I still find  Ali so completely unlikeable if you are going to be a bitch be a bitch and own it.

I enjoyed Caleb's putdown of Ali who seemed pissed that Caleb wasn't attracted to her

Aria should never do any undercover investigating.

• Love 1
(edited)

That shrieking noise you heard was thousands of fans the second the words "Toby's mom" were uttered.

I don't understand why Pam thought it was necessary to break out 12 bottles of hard liquor for the teenage dinner party.

Edited by kariyaki
  • Love 8
(edited)

I have a weird fascination when Spencer has scenes with Ezra so I enjoyed that.  My favorite storyline of season 1 was when Aria's mother thought Spencer was the one sleeping with Ezra.  I loved Spencer's line "Wow, I forgot how enthusiastic you were about watching things."  

Hana's new drinking problem.  That is going to be all kinds of fun.  Plus we have her scenes with Sydney my new favorite character.  I knew that was going to end badly.

I love you Emily, I really do, but you are being a blind ass.  A Blind blind ass

Aria,  crazy people hide under other peoples beds.   

I don't understand why Pam thought it was necessary to break out 12 bottles of hard liquor for the teenage dinner party.

Its Rosewood?  

The Vodka was little weird but I am letting it go because the dinner party was fantastically awkward and the conversation after between Pam and Emily was fabulous.  The difference between the relationship between season 1 Pam and Emily and Season 5 Pam and Emily is fascinating.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
(edited)

First of all Aria is such a dull character. I thought it was Ezra but Aria clearly brings nothing to the show. Lucy Hale came on as the lead but the writers clearly saw something different and gave Troian the heavy handed stuff for the most part.

Emily, Ali must be amazing in bed because man she's just not good when it comes to remember who her friends are. Granted Hanna was an ass about Ali but could you blame her? I hope the Liars give Hanna a way better intervention than the one they gave Spencer.

Speaking of Spencer she clearly still hates Ezra but is so willing to use his equipment to try and get about done. She also doesn't seem to trust Ali but she's also not quickly suspecting Ali in anything.

Mean while Donna LaDonna being a shady character. Her scene with Ali was weird. I wonder if we'll find out they knew each other later on. And I don't think Melissa put the rat in the locked. The show is being to obvious with her and Mona is confident enough to deny it as well so I don't even think its anyone from the Mona Justice League.

This episode was dull though. lol I need some explosions and people getting buried alive.

And can we talk about ali asking what she do to deserve all that's happened to her? Did I hear her right? Did she forget that she blind someone and made that some ones rape.victim take the fall for it because she was willing to spread rumors about said rape victim raping his actual rapists? Or how about the way she treated her so called best friends? I love this character. lmao

Pam has become my favorite parent just because she's a cool mom and not a regular mom.

Edited by mjgchick

Besides her little drinking problem, is it weird that I'm pretty sure Hanna's the smartest of the whole bunch? I am so sick of the way Emily specifically is treating her. Ugh.

• Love 5

Well, Ali's back to being her queen bee bitchy self. I like it. Much more interesting. 

Caleb and Ali is fun too. Ali doesn't like people she can't control. I hope that is something that is continues throughout the season. 

Ali popping out of Spencer's shed? We're going the twin route, aren't we? Either that or her and Melissa are really connected. 

I saw Hanna mention New York to Sydney, I wonder what else she said. Seems like the girls are going to be harsh towards her next week. 

Also...I like Sydney. She even had a creepy "Milk drinking" aura too her. 

I wonder what happened to Eddie Lamb..

So there was relationship drama, a lot of lying and avoiding questions, a creepy tag from A, and overall the plot has moved a faction of an inch closer to its final resolution.  I loved every minute.  So overall, an above average episode.

I loved Troian this episode.  It helps that the writers are giving her more scenes that carry some emotional weight, but stopping short of another mental breakdown.  I particularly liked the scene in the Hasting's kitchen between the two sisters.  Additionally, the scene with Ezra, when they were outside his friends shed, that was a really good scene, which means I actually like a scene with Ezra.  That takes talent on Troian's part.  Lastly Spencer gets bonus points because she still isn't ok with Aria getting back together with Ezra.

Also Aria does something relevant to the mystery.  They just needed an episode where she was more or less free of Ezra and I am already starting to like the character.  Maybe make her a little more quirky (instead of just giving her insane outfits) and less self absorbed and I would actually like the artsy, manic pixie Liar.

As for Hanna's drinking storyline/self identity crisis, I am on the fence.  Substance abuse, we have seen it before.  Also am I the only one who doesn't think Hanna seems drunk?  I'm not looking for her to be falling down or slurring her words, but can't she be a little more emotional or fumble with her cell phone or something.  If they hadn't shown Hanna drinking, I would have thought she was annoyed with Ali and being friendly with Sydney (with the exception of the "Hanna knows what Hanna means" line, I couldn't see somber Hanna saying that).  On the other hand, Hanna's insecurities provide a good emotional foundation for the storyline. 

Also both Caleb and Ali make good points when they talk to Hanna.  Caleb doesn't want to see Hanna get caught up in the natural disaster that is Alison, even if he seems to be unintentionally encouraging Hanna's drinking.  Alison clearly wants to keep Hanna under her thumb or at least part of the Lairs, but her point that Hanna shouldn't abandon her friends is valid.

Emily is starting to regain some of the IQ points that sex with Ali stole from her.  Her mother actually realizes Ali is lying and that Emily might go down with Ali trying to protector her.  Thankfully, Emily seemed to listen.  Also Emily called Paige and said she was sorry.  It was nice to see Emily at least be self aware about how badly she plays into Ali's needs.

Lastly, Spencer has a video of Ali sneaking around, in an outfit other than the one she was wearing last time they saw her.  I say twin theory.  No one has to believe me.  I'm just saying.

Except for the abundance of Hanna (my favorite character) this ep was dull. Emily is annoying as hell. She's never been a favorite of mine & her being Ali's champion is too much.

I wonder why Spencer didn't also put a camera inside the guest house. And did Ali actually walk out of the guest house or was she just passing by? It looked to me that she was just passing by, unless I missed something. Maybe I nodded out for a second. Aria under the bed was funny.

I don't like the new character, the swim girl. Her face disturbs me.

So with the engagement does this mean Holly Marie is finally coming back?

Mona looked gorgeous during that conversation she had with one of the girls in the hall at school earlier in the episode. Best I've seen her look.

Any guesses as to why Eddie didn't show up to meet Ezra? Hehe, maybe he likes Ezra as much as we do. Or maybe Eddie is our next dead body.

I don't like the new character, the swim girl. Her face disturbs me.

I want to like Sydney but I can't get past the lips. They look so... gloopy.

Besides her little drinking problem, is it weird that I'm pretty sure Hanna's the smartest of the whole bunch? I am so sick of the way Emily specifically is treating her. Ugh.

Exactly, I was on Drunk Hanna's side.  Why should they try and cover it up with more lies and go along with Ali's bs?  A just blew a house up recently, keeping secrets and constantly lying has only made things worse throughout this series.

• Love 2

I wonder if Hanna will put two and two together and figure out that Sydney (Poor Woman's Anne Hathaway, though Swimfan works as well) ratted her out to A.  How was Sydney even in a scene where Emily or Paige were nowhere to be found ?

Ashley Benson is terrible at acting as drunk Hanna. @superman1204 indicated upthread that she is barely believable as having drunk anything, but more annoyed  and just generally bitchy.

I think she's just playing Hanna as a more subtle drunk. It's more subtle than Drunk Emily or Drunk Spencer. She slurs a little bit, get's more blunt..you can see her slightly fumble things and wobble a little bit. I think the character is more using alcohol to number feelings rather than getting white girl wasted. 

• Love 6

I actually really like Ashley's portrayal of Drunk Hanna. Definitely agree with mercfan3 that she's playing it more subtle. If she were being obviously wasted, then more people would be picking up on it than just the girls. She's still trying to hide her drinking. We saw her trying to bury her beer bottle in the recycling. She doesn't want to get caught, so she's trying to restrain herself as much as possible. I think as she spirals downwards, though, that we're going to see more of the stereotypical drunk behaviors. 

I love this version of A so incredibly much. The homicidal sociopath thing is really upping the stakes and it's a lot more compelling. I love that A is actively trying to drive a wedge between the girls even more in past instances. Has there ever been a situation where only 3 of the girls received an A text? I need to rematch the series again, but I don't remember it happening before.

I suspect we're going to be finding Eddie's dead body by the end of this half-season. There's no way that man is still alive.

• Love 3

Did anyone else see the Lady in Black walk by the window when Bethany's roommate was sneaking up on Aria?? I rewound it twice and it freaked me out!

I need Caleb to elaborate on what happened in Ravenswood. It's bothering me every time he shows up!

I knew that Donna LaDonna was going to squeal as soon as Hanna said "New York". I'm glad Caleb showed up when he did, who knows what she would have done to Hanna if she'd gotten into a car with her.

Aria is so stupid. I could see that damn sketchbook sticking out of her oversized purse. Ugh, I wonder what's going to happen to Eddie now. Of course he's the next dead body. Maya, Nate, Shanna....this has horror movie cliche written all over it!

• Love 3

I don't understand what Spencer is doing with the camera. Is she trying to see if Melissa leaves? Or was she trying to see if anyone comes to her? 

Aria hiding under the bed (which of course conveniently said "Bethany" underneath) was so stupid. The bed was practically in the doorway, the first thing you would see if you looked into the room would be Aria under the bed.

Other than that, nothing really happened this episode, they have to move the story forward, we keep seeing basically the same stuff every week.

• Love 2

Both Caleb and Hanna's drinking habits at the moment are making them a lot more fun and interesting. They've both gone dark together, I think Hanna taking the vodka she took from Caleb's cue from earlier with him drinking beer in the middle of the day.

Loved Hanna's smackdown of Ali at dinner and loved even more Caleb's attitude towards her. 

• Love 1

I saw the lady in black at Radley too! You'd think someone walking around in a black veil would stick out, but I guess anything goes at Radley.

I loved Spencer calling out Ezra on his creepiness. Their scenes were great. Loved how he was trying to bond with Spencer over their messed-up families. She should have taken the opportunity to ask to borrow a few more cameras.

Loved Caleb's confrontation of Ali. I also thought the dinner with Mama Fields was great. Everything from Ali's lies to Hanna's sarcasm to the look Ali gives Emily ordering her to control Hanna was perfect. I am so glad that Pam sees through her. How many warnings about Ali does Emily need?

What was with the drawing in Bethany's notebook just before the ripped out Mrs D one? It looked like a boy being carried away by some sort of demon and a girl chasing after them? Is that telling us that Bethany had a brother?

I liked Donna LaDonna on The Carrie Diaries and I'm happy to see her on PLL. She's doing a great job fishing for info although she was helped significantly by Hanna's new drinking problem.

I thought two things when I saw Ali on the video. First I thought: "Hey, is that Ali dressed as A?" then when Emily said something about it not being what she was wearing earlier: "Oh shit, please not a twin." When I rewound and rewatched I thought maybe she was wearing the beanie of sadness that has been passed around. Maybe that hat is some kind of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants thing.

• Love 5

F'ing show. We get to see Noel Kahn's notebook but not Noel Kahn? WTF?!

So should we put Pam Fields on mysterious disappearance/death watch because she knows Ali is full of shit? I hope not, I really like her! I loved how she completely saw thru Ali's past and current lies and manipulations during dinner. I'm now wondering if Ali will try to drive a wedge between Pam and Emily.

I don't think my Hanna, Caleb and HannaCaleb lurve could grow but it certainly did during this episode. LOVED Caleb's conversation with Ali, you could tell how much it annoyed her that he didn't give a flying fuck about her and that wow, here is one person that she cannot control. I may not like how two teens have taken to hitting beer and liquor on a daily basis to cope with their respective problems and feelings but I can only hope that they will each realize why they're using alcohol, work to resolve it and come out safe and sound and with each other. Yeah I cheered when they kissed, no shame in admitting it. My fear is that Hanna will continue to spiral down as A does his/her damnedest to make her odd man out with the Liars because reasons.

Spencer and Ezra, what can I say. Loved their scenes and how she pointed out how damn creepy he is. I'm assuming she'll ask him to use more of his cameras since she only borrowed the one and there are at least three others she can use. Re: Ali's different clothes in Spencer's spy cam footage: I'm guessing twin or Ali has got major DID.

Aria at Radley was snooze worthy for me although I actually golf clapped when Spencer took cell phone pics of Bethany's drawings. I like when the Liars remember that their cell phones have more uses other than receiving threats from whoever A happens to be that season.

• Love 2
(edited)

Emily has a major case of sex blindness and at this time it has no cure but at least it is usually not fatal but considering it is Emily, Ali and Rosewood so someone gonna die bloody!!!!

Edited by Chaos Theory

I would hope after 2 years the girls would figure out the school bathroom is a PUBLIC place that anyone can use and not a good place to talk about all the secret and lies you have. They make it so easy for A+ and Team Janona, they don't need to plan anything elaborate, just go about their day like normal and find out everything they need to know. 

I hope Spencer continues to subtly throw shade at Ezra and didn't forgive him because they bonded over having messed up rich parents. He's a huge creeper. No author needs to spy on his subjects every waking moment and does nothing while they are also being stalked and tortured by someone else. 

I know the Liars want Aria to be part of the show after 5 seasons, but that also means she sucks at it because she has not been part of it. However I still love Aria's deer in headlights reaction to everything. I love that Hanna is not taking any shit from Alison, could do without the drinking the problem between Hanna and Caleb though. 

Alison lost her touch, no one believes her sob stories anymore and all the enemies she made over the years are not going to let her get away with it. Team Jenona knows that her friends are not saying "how high?" when she says jump like they used too and A+ is separating the Liars from each other. I think they thought Emily would be the one that would turn on Ali being she broke her heart, but they quickly found out Emily's an idiot. So now they are working on Hanna who seems just as eager to jump on the get Ali out of town train with Mona and Jenna. So Sydney will probably be Hanna's new liquor supplier. 

• Love 2

I remember last season how much they REALLY wanted us to think Spencer attacked Ali while in a drug-addled stupor, only to be like, nope! Just kidding! For one, I still ain't buying it because Spencer was STILL the only one awake when the others woke up. And now they REALLY want us to think Ali has a twin. They'll be milking this out for a while...

I love Spencer/Ezra scenes because he always looks so skittish around her. Like a baby deer.

Didn't Spencer call Ezra a baby squirrel? That works so much better for him. 

I loved when Spencer jumped in his car and he looked like he was going to jump through the window and run down the street screaming. Best Ezra scene ever! I think I actually only like Ezra scenes when he's interacting with anyone but Aria. Ezra/Mona had some fun scenes too. So I think it's not Ezra they need drop, it's Aria. 

• Love 1

That's the thing, I like Aria just fine when she's not around Ezra. It's the pairing, it's like a vortex of suckitude.

Ezria is a black hole of suckage, the show comes to a screeching halt whenever it wastes time on them.

• Love 3

There was a girl with long blonde hair who created a disturbance in the art therapy class at Radley - the camera stayed on her for a few seconds but she kept her head facing forward the whole time so we never saw her face. Did she pop up in the class again or did Aria just pull the whole focus on Rhonda?

Yea, I love Aria when she's with the four girls..and essentally not with Ezra. She's always good for a funny one line. 

Ezra..has become far more interesting since the book thing. (In a Jenna kind of way.) He plays creep well. And I like his scenes with everyone but Aria. Actually, to be honest, with the show making it obvious that Ezra/Aria are creepy, I don't even mind it that much anymore. 

Can Emily get any stupider?? Even her own mom can see Ali is lying and it's just going to pull Emily down into a world of trouble if she continues to follow Ali's orders.

Hanna and Caleb are awesome (minus the drinking problems) and I adored Caleb getting Ali all irritated because he wouldn't cave to her.

I have a hard time understanding why the girls are seemingly still letting Ali run the show and dictate the lies. They lived years without her toxic presence and should be smarter than that. It's four against one, they have the advantage.

• Love 1
So...twins.  Right?

Yeah, I was thinking that as well. With the whole "she wasn't wearing that when she left my house" and then with Hanna's comment at dinner about how Ali is sooooo special and that there is no one in the world like her. I took that as an anvil that, yes, there is, a crazy twin, but wouldn't Ali know she had a twin sister? I mean it's not like the twin was crazy right when she was born. At some point, she had to have lived with her. Unless she knows and just pretends that she doesn't exist. Maybe she thinks she was in a different mental institution but at some point Jessica moved said twin to Radley so she could be closer to her and just didn't tell the rest of the family. And then maybe Bethany was friends with the twin and drew pictures based on what twin Ali told her? Either that or Ali has a split personality. Althought it still doesn't explain Bethany. And how and why she ended up in the grave with the yellow blouse. I did hear that

she may be related to Wren

I love Hanna and Caleb together.

I really hope what I head about Ali and Caleb isn't true. 

So if Mona had Noel's notes then is he also in her Justice League or is he firmly on Ali's side but just pretending to be on Mona's to get information?

I thought it was interesting when Sydney asked Hanna if she ever just wanted to apologize to Jenna and stop fighting. I hope that happens because I think Jenna and Hanna would be hilarious together. 

I just love the fact that Spencer clearly has just zero time for Ezra. She clearly thinks he's a creep, but she needs something from him, so shell go get it, but she doesn't have to like it. And no one stands in the way when detective Spencer is on the case! That being said, I liked the scenes with Ezra and Spencer tonight. Any time the show acknowledges the fact that Ezra/Aria is sketchy as hell, I get an extra spring in my step. I can never fully tell if all the writers are on board with Ezra/Aria as an actual, romantic couple, or if they think its as creepy as I do. Hopefully the former.

Spencer and drunk Hanna should spend some time together. They can go full on "Don't have time for this bull crap, lets just tell some truths right now" all over everyone. And I have to say, I really like Hanna's style the last few weeks.

I also loved that scene with Emily and her mom. She basically said everything to Emily that I have been screaming at the TV for weeks. She just said it a lot nicer.

I was annoyed at Ezra suggesting to Spencer that they try to walk away from this mystery. Oh really, Ezra? What a noble suggestion. Dude, YOU have the luxury of walking away, Spencer does not. Her whole family is tangled up in this crap, she has no choice but stay mired in it.

This review hilariously has a gif of Spencer's face when Ezra answers his door and points out that it looks like Spencer threw up in her mouth a little bit.

• Love 4

I don't want Hanna to have a drinking problem, although having Ali as a friend would drive anyone to drink.  Now that she and Caleb are back together (yay!), maybe they can help each other deal with their demons.

I almost thought that Melissa was going to confess something about Bethany to Spencer, but alas nothing.  She's guilty of something.

Nice knowing you Eddie.  Congrats to Ella & Zach - A better not mess up their engagement party.

She's like the Joker version of Anne Hathaway.  It feels like she's going to eat the face of whomever she's talking to.  I just can't with this actress, and I know it's horribly shallow to bag on someone's looks, but her looks are distracting.  I find the idea of a detente with Jenna and the Liars fascinating, mainly because I hope it causes Ali to totally lose her shit.

I was hoping Noel Khan's workbook would serve as a Chekhov's gun for him to appear later in the episode.  Disappointed yet again.  

I have 2 friends that are a couple.  On their own, they are super fun and interesting, but when they're together in a group, they are dull as dishwater.  I'm going to start calling this the Ezria effect.  Both are fine on their own or with other people, but horridly boring on their own.  

Yes to Spencer putting up cameras to spy on Melissa.  WTF to Spencer NOT putting up cameras inside the barn or with audio.

Way to get Eddie murdered, Aria.  You.are.just.the.worst.

• Love 7
(edited)

I thought drunk Hanna was fine this episode. She only had one bottle of beer at her house and about half a glass of vodka (I doubt she got a refill for the glass she poured before sitting at the table), so there was just enough alcohol to make her uninhibited and cranky, but not enough to make her visibly drunk. When Ali cleared the table I thought she'd check Hanna's glass, but having Emily do it was much better.

There was absolutely no reason to have the bottle of vodka there. None. Wine at Hanna's house, yes. Pam Fields and vodka? Just no. But, of course, the show needed something that Hanna could pretend was water. Badly done though.

I wonder why Spencer didn't also put a camera inside the guest house. And did Ali actually walk out of the guest house or was she just passing by? It looked to me that she was just passing by, unless I missed something.

I also think she was just passing by. When Spencer first looked at the camera, Melissa was getting inside the barn and it was the door that is behind Ali later on. Ali enters the frame from the right and walks in front of the barn. Granted, Spencer has multiple cameras, but the door behind Ali really looked like the barn. Since there are multiple cameras, I also wonder why Spencer didn't put one inside, and/or bugged the place. It's more likely that Melissa will call someone, maybe to set up a meeting, than that she'd receive a visit in person.

ETA:

If Eddie was killed, I doubt it was over something he had nothing to do with, i.e. Aria. It was most likely because he set up a meeting with Ezra. I prefer the idea that he set up a meeting, then followed Ezra who led him straight to Aria, confirming his belief that Aria came at Radley to investigate after seeing the drawing he left for Ezra.

Edited by Crim
  • Love 1
(edited)

Can Emily get any stupider?? Even her own mom can see Ali is lying and it's just going to pull Emily down into a world of trouble if she continues to follow Ali's orders.

In Emily's case it's understandable she has a full blown case of sexblindness. Although between the convo with her mom and the call to Paige she is starting to come out of it. Quick Ali get Nekkid! Emmy is starting to think for herself.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 1
(edited)

I didn't like the call to Paige. It seemed like a reaction to what her mother said, like she is running from Ali by mending bridges with her ex, which isn't a very Emily thing to do and isn't really fair to Paige, not long-term. Also, missed opportunity in her conversation with her mother: Emily should have said "Oh, I already tapped that." Well, wouldn't have been a very Emily thing to say, but damn, I'd have wanted to hear it.

If the Liars don't confront Ali about having been in Spencer's backyard, I will get so pissed. Spencer can just say she saw her, doesn't have to mention any cameras.And I'm almost sure it won't happen... because the show wants to tease more with the twin thing.

Edited by Crim
  • Love 1
(edited)

Favorite moment:  when Mona says to Emily, "Don't call me an amateur."  Hell yeah.  

Also loved when Bethany's roommate asked Aria what she was gonna do without any hands.  Aria's face was priceless.  Should have known something great and weird like that would happen right after the strange lady in black glided by the door.  I think Aria might be the dumbest liar, though.  The girl just doesn't think things through when she's doing shady stuff, and never covers her trails that well.  Unimpressive, Aria, and it probably just got Eddie's ass beat, if not killed.

Ali was in her full on manipulator mode this episode, and I was all about it, and wanting to smack Ali in the face.  It was fascinating to watch because it was this mix of desperation (she knows people knows she's lying about what happened, and she knows she isn't the Queen Bee she used to be) with her old ruthless self.  I thought this showed most intriguingly in her scene with Hanna on Emily's porch.  Her advice to Hanna about Caleb was couched in terms of care for her friend (much like when she'd ask Hanna in flashbacks if she was going to eat whatever cookies, then say she's just being a friend).  But obviously she was worried about herself and the problems Caleb could cause for her and her lies.  One of these problems, to Ali, is that he isn't under her sway and doesn't buy her bullshit, and it makes her worry about her power dynamics with Hanna, which she tests on the porch, when Hanna asks if she's telling her not to see Caleb, and Ali just gives her that old Ali look...and then sweetly calls over her shoulder for Mrs. Fields to save her a popover.  Classic Ali playing the cruel manipulator, who always seeks to keep Hanna down and under her thumb, and the charming innocent in the same moment.  Loved it!  Add this to the crazy dinner scene when Ali wobbled her lip and said she didn't mean for bad things to happen, but that in the dark, she had to ask, What have I ever done that was so bad to deserve this?  The girl's narcissism knows no bounds!  I mean, she milked it for all she was worth--saying she couldn't help but blame herself, and feel such shame...that she continued to ask her friends to lie to their parents and the police for her.  Love that Mrs. F didn't buy any of it, and that Hanna could tell just by looking at her.  

As for this Ali twin thing, I'm holding out hope that this speculation is wrong (how boring to totally follow the book on this, and how wrong to lie outright to fans that they would not do it!).  I get the obvious statement that she's wearing something different, but to my mind, I don't think it has to be a different Ali, and prefer to think that this is proof that Ali is still lying, still acting shady, and still stirring up shit that is causing serious danger to herself and others.  To me, that's a way more interesting story line than Ali has a twin.  I believe that someone has a twin, though, or some secret sibling attached to Radley.  That picture Bethany drew of the girl chasing some monster carrying a child had Radley gates in the background.  And it seems a good bet that Mrs. D had some close relation to the individual who smashed Ali on the head, and to Bethany.  Speaking of, I guess this week's drawings of Mrs. D with demon horns and "liar" written all over her clears up any ambiguity I had from last week, since part of me thought the drawing Eddie left suggested Mrs. D was evil and the other thought the monster in it suggested she was in danger.  But apparently, Bethany was not a fan of Mrs. D!

As for Ezra, like everyone else, I loved his scenes with Spencer.  He was so awkward scratching his head when Spencer commented on the amount of camera equipment, and he was all, what do you mean?  Dude really doesn't know how creepy he is, only sort of senses it, which makes his behavior, for me, both more understandable and more disturbing.  His confession that he wanted to write about his family fueled my longstanding wish that we get a lot more about the Fitzgerald crew as this story unfolds, and that it has to do with the whole Ali/A thing.  I've said it before, I want some kind of backstory explanation for why Ezra is so f-ed up--and I think it has to do with his mommy.

Edited by M1977G
  • Love 2

Oh, I assumed that Bethany was the twin.  The TV version of Courtney.  When Spencer and Aria were flipping through the sketch book, there was a picture of a long haired blonde looking in a mirror, and of course there was the psycho roommate.  It seemed like such a parallel to the book.  I'm assuming the reference to Toby's mom was nothing more than a red herring.

Plus, in last season's finale, we had that flash of Mrs. D on the phone with the police, asking them to call her as soon as they knew anything, saying she was very worried.  At the time, I assumed it meant she was scared for her own personal safety.  Perhaps instead, she was informed that Bethany was missing and she was scared for Bethany's safety.  And because she was scared for Bethany's safety, she wanted to keep Ali close, hence why she told her she could go out that night.  It also explains why Mrs. D was burying Ali, to protect her other daughter, while crying and asking her "why would you do that." 

AS for who killed Bethany, I have no idea.  Professor Plum, in the sitting room, perhaps?

That said, as I write this, it doesn't work.  The DiLaurentis and Hastings families have been neighbors for a long time, too long to cover up the birth of a twin and subsequent admittance to Radley.  Oh well. 

That's my major issue with the twin situation. People would have had to know. Jason would have had to know. Ali would have had to know. (And considering she kept testing people to try and figure out who was hunting her, I'd say she clearly doesn't.) 

Also don't like it because it was in the books and it's a cop out. 

I still think it's possible that Jenna and Sydney can be the twins. Who says twins have to be identical. Also a possibility that Melissa is a twin..but I think it's more likely that Melissa is dead soon (probably before we hear her secret.)

• Love 1
The DiLaurentis and Hastings families have been neighbors for a long time, too long to cover up the birth of a twin and subsequent admittance to Radley.

On the other hand, those two families have been keeping each other's secrets since the very start, and they still do. And this despite the animosity between them. If anything, a huge guilty secret like having a child committed to Radley under a false name would explain why they stick together in solidarity.

My main problem with Bethany being the twin of any of the main characters would be that the police informed her parents, which presumably didn't imply the revelation that she had a fake identity. And it's harder to believe that the twin was given for adoption. I mean why. But yes, the sketchbook had a lot of interesting stuff that Spencer just flipped over. Interesting and vague. While Mrs D is the devil and a liar, I think the monster in the drawings is someone else. Mrs D just covered everything up. I also don't think she killed *ugh* Toby's mom. Bethany just wrote "Liar" not murderer.

• Love 1

I would so much rather Ali have multiple personalities or something like that than a twin. I think it would be way more interesting. I still think someone is going to end up having a twin, but I'm just crossing all my fingers that it isn't Ali.

• Love 2