Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: The Silence of E. Lamb

Hanna was awesome, the rest was a snoozefest. So tired of the flimsy excuses to shoehorn Ezra into the plot. Like Spencer cannot go and, you know, buy a freaking camera.

Also, while the viewers know that Hanna said some things she shouldn't have, Spencer, Aria and Emily really should not have turned on her because of an A-text. I mean, A already knows about the Shana thing, for all they know he/she is just messing with them and "framing" Hanna. So silly. Speaking of silly, it's rather implausible that this Sydney girl will just swoop in and gain the trust of Emily and Hanna now in like two days.

So Alison is taking some exams now. Is she suddenly going to be a Senior now? I guess being kidnapped does help people study better...

Wasn't the reason for not taking Emily to Texas the chance to get a swimming scholarship by excelling in the rosewood swim team? You would think that with all the murders and explosions and stuff in Rosewood, she would have been in Texas by now. At that point I kind of hope she goes, even though I know it will never happen. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Also, while the viewers know that Hanna said some things she shouldn't have, Spencer, Aria and Emily really should not have turned on her because of an A-text. I mean, A already knows about the Shana thing, for all they know he/she is just messing with them and "framing" Hanna. So silly.

This. Don't they know any better by now? They make it so easy for A to manipulate them.

Did anyone else for a moment think maybe Ezra killed Eddie? The way he showed up at Aria's and told her he was missing was suspicious to me. Didn't he not want Aria working at Radley? Maybe he's afraid of what she could find out there? Probably just wishful thinking on my part but throwing it out there. Also how many "friends" does Ezra have to lend him cabins and storage sheds?

Edited by lorikauai
  • Love 2

This episode had some really good scenes, namely Spencer-Ezra, Caleb-Ali, and Hanna-everyone!

I am loving Hanna's rebellion and her new look is awesome. Although, as much as I love Caleb-Hanna I was left thinking that maybe Hanna wouldn't have been so eager to get him back if Ali hadn't said she should *not* get him back. I really want to see more of Caleb interacting with everyone. 

Aria's plot was kind of a snooze, I know she found some stuff at Radley and blabla I'm bored already. 

Emily, please listen to your mum, nothing good can come out of Ali's lies, you should know this by now.

All in all, ever since the 100th episode, they have successfully pulled me back in. Damn you show!

Yes, Kariyaki, those lips, gloop is a good word for them. Her face is truly disturbing.

Fau, I'm with you. I'm usually on Hanna's side anyway. Don't like Ali since she's officially not dead and Emily continues to get on my nerves. I like Ashley's portrayal of drunk Hanna too. It's very subtle at times which works. I mean that wasn't a very big glass of vodka!

Spencer, no I didn't notice the lady in black. Good catch!

Speaking of dinner with Mama Fields, what the hell was it with the drink cart on the porch? They went into the house eat. I thought that was weird.

I would love to see Jenna & Hanna together. Anything with Hanna is usually good.

Thanks, Crim. I thought she was just passing by too. And good take on Eddie's no show.

My first reaction to Ezra saying that Eddie never showed for their meeting was that he called Ezra to distract him.  Say, to get him out of his apartment so he could break in or leave something there.   Maybe this show has got me too paranoid.

Someone might've pointed this out already, but I love the growth that Pam Fields has shown.  Emily's parents continue to be the best, which probably makes them A.

Anyone else getting the feeling that Melissa's days are numbered?   She probably killed Bethany, although many of us where thinking that since the last finale.   My theory on her is that she's always hated Ali, but done everything (like kill Bethany, ) to protect Spencer or her family.  

Someone might've pointed this out already, but I love the growth that Pam Fields has shown.  Emily's parents continue to be the best, which probably makes them A.

No they will not be A, but the writers will spend half a season convincing us Emily's parents are A, by showing weird, creepy scenes of them stalking the Lairs, only to have the entire story arc explained away by two minutes of dialogue.

• Love 2

I love anything and everything Hanna so this episode was fun for me getting my Hanna fix. I also love Hanna/Caleb so that rocked, too. I hope Hanna and Caleb can help each other heal their wounds and move on together.

I cheered when both Hanna and Caleb took turns giving Ali the smackdown. I don't think it's a coincidence that Ali basically tells Hanna she shouldn't get back together with Caleb. I wonder why, Ali? Could it be because you know Caleb sees right through you?: Yes, I think so.

Mona telling Emily she's not an amateur was outstanding.

I believe Sydney does not want the Liars to get hurt or messed up. I think she actually wants peace between the Liars and Jenna which is why she formed her question to Hanna about Jenna a certain way. I could be wrong but I don't think she's out for blood against the Liars. I also think she made it known to Emily that everyone loves Paige as a way to even get Emily jealous.

Speaking of Emily and Paige... Emily's "I love" then stopped short to Paige on the phone demonstrated that Emily's still in love with Paige and whatever's going on with Alison doesn't hold a candle. The conversation with her mom also showed this, too. Emily's heart has never left Paige. Oh, I thought it did the past episode or two but last night convinced me I was wrong.

Having Melissa pretty much tell Spencer she loves her was a great scene too. I truly believe Melissa has been protecting Spencer from day 1.

Seeing the Lady in Black through the window was a nice touch, writers.

Aria at Radley is kind of boring but anything that essentially gets Aria away from Ezra temporarily works for me.

Spencer absolutely doesn't like Ezra right now. You can tell she finds him creepy still.

I think poor Eddie's a goner.

Alison on the camera is either multiple personality Ali or the Twin storyline is ON,

Season 5 has been all kinds of good. I was really scared it was going to suck with Ali back since I figured they'd run out of storylines. Quite honestly, this could end up being my favorite season yet if this keeps up.

• Love 1
(edited)

Drunk! Hanna for President!

I never wanted the dinner scene to end, I swear! I could watch Hanna drunkenly snap at Alison all day. It probably helped that Alison kinda annoyed me during this episode. The scene where she talked about her bruises was seriously melodramatic and she also irked me when she went on and on about feeling guilt while being in the dark and whatever.

I actually really like Ashley's portrayal of Drunk Hanna. Definitely agree with mercfan3 that she's playing it more subtle. If she were being obviously wasted, then more people would be picking up on it than just the girls. She's still trying to hide her drinking. We saw her trying to bury her beer bottle in the recycling. She doesn't want to get caught, so she's trying to restrain herself as much as possible. I think as she spirals downwards, though, that we're going to see more of the stereotypical drunk behaviors.

If then! From all the way back to season 1 we've been shown Hanna knows how to hold her liquor (save when there's an outside force getting her extra-drunk like Lucas or her father's stepdaughter) so I'm not surprised she seems to be drinking just enough to be a little tipsy but keeps enough of her wits not to be obvious in front of Pam or her mother (again).

Also, my love for Hannily has oficially surpassed my love for Emison. I love how Emily and Hanna have been fighting about Ali for a couple episodes now and during this one Emily goes to Hanna's house to drag her to have dinner with her Pam and Ali like nothing happened(both glorious ladies but I'd rather eat glass) and Hanna not only goes, but she's the only one of the girls who actually shows up. As a hot mess, but still she brushed her hair and acted appropriate for entire 2 minutes.

(I was having serious flashbacks about Emily telling Maya to wear a dress to dinner with Pam and Maya making a fool of herself. I did not ask for Maya flashbacks, take them away!)

Also, who knows their best friend's menstrual cycle with that accuracy? I'm confused by mine! I still haven't decided if that was incredibly creepy or sweet from Emily's side to have that information at hand, just like that. Last, but not least when it comes to Hanna and Emily, I thought I'd have to put up with a Alison/Emily/Paige triangle this year so I was not prepaired for Hanna to be the jealous girlfriend, not Paige. I couldn't be happier!

On another note, Aria was actually dressed like a person! A very cute person, may I add! She looked absolutely adorable from head to toe...WHAT HAPPENED? Cute or not, I'm ready to going back to hating her next week after hearing what she says to Hanna on the promo.

Hanna also looked very pretty... from the neck up! 

I'm repressing anything related to Ezra, who's as creepy as he has ever been to me, and the hints of a twin.

ETA:

Also, Emily's comment about Ali being needy has got me thinking and, even tho so many people are calling her dumb, I think she hit the nail on the head. I don't doubt Ali has some real feelings for Emily (although I do think Emily is doubting hence the call to Paige) but most of what I see from her in regards to all the girls is the fact she feels she needs them for protection against A, because she's terrified.

I actually thought she looked remarkably blasé at Caleb's snarking but especially Hanna's and the latter made me kind of worried. I'd expect a little more annoyance at hearing that stuff from a friend. Just look at how the other girls fight! But her reaction to their snipping (or lack that of) made me think she was mentally calculating what losing Hanna as a soldier against A would cost her and what she would have to do to compensate that loss.

I don't even mean any of this in a critical way, because I feel that's simply how Alison's mind works after what she has been through: she figures out how to keep her resources close and if she happens to lose one, she has to figure what to do next. That's how she has to think in order to survive but I would really like to see real affection from her towards the other girls (besides Emily) and not only need. I believe think Hanna's acting out started when Ali begun treating them like soldiers instead of friends, after New York.

Edited by cuddlingcrowley
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm interested in the very specific closeup the director did The Swamp Thing comic that Caleb was reading.  First off, full respect to Caleb since The Swamp Thing relaunch was one of the best things to come out of the New52 reboot that DC Comics did a few years ago (also, naughty producers for showing a DC/Warner Brothers comic rather than a Disney/Marvel one on your Disney owned network lol).  It's a really great horror book, with some absolutely fantastic artwork if you're into horror stuff.

But I find it interesting that the show went to a length to specifically show that he was reading The Swamp Thing.  One of the major themes of The Swamp Thing is the protagonist's, Alec Holland, struggle over the monster that lurks inside him as he tries to define his humanity in view of the fact that he's a freaking monster.  Alan Moore's defining run on the title back in the 80's would eventually reveal that The Swamp Thing wasn't even Alec Holland - Alec Holland was dead, and The Swamp Thing was just a plant entity with the fragments of Holland's memory making it think it was human. It got me thinking if that was a literary allusion, and who it was to - Caleb, due to his experiences in Ravenswood?  Especially since Ravenswood had some horror elements to it, which is definitely a major part of The Swamp Thing.  Or is it about Alison, especially since the next scene is the one between Alison and Caleb squaring off.  Is Alison the monster clinging desperately to glimpses of humanity? 

Edited by Agent Dark
  • Love 5

It got me thinking if that was a literary allusion, and who it was to - Caleb, due to his experiences in Ravenswood?  Especially since Ravenswood had some horror elements to it, which is definitely a major part of The Swamp Thing.  Or is it about Alison, especially since the next scene is the one between Alison and Caleb squaring off.  Is Alison the monster clinging desperately to glimpses of humanity? 

Interesting analysis Agent Dark. I don't think they would have filmed such a close up if the book choice didn't matter. I mostly read Animal Man, and Swamp Thing came along on a crossover I think, and I admit I was intrigued. I'm thinking maybe it's about Caleb and how he doesn't really know who he is anymore.

• Love 1
Also a possibility that Melissa is a twin..but I think it's more likely that Melissa is dead soon (probably before we hear her secret.)

I was so frustrated by the conversation between Melissa and Spencer.  A couple of episodes ago Melissa was on the verge of telling Spencer something but her dad stopped her.  In this conversation, Spencer didn't even bring that up!  Come on, Show, Spencer should have asked what the hell Melissa is hiding.  Not that Melissa would be forthcoming, but she should have at least asked. 

Also, i have no idea what Melissa meant.  Spencer:  "This isn't about love; it's about secrets."  Melissa: "It's still about love".  WTF?

If Melissa is slated to die soon (which I'm not opposed to), can we have the girls tie her up and beat information out of her first?  I am not a violent person, but it is way past time that the girls resorted to some Jack Bauer interrogation techniques on her, Mona, Jenna, Jason, both Hastings parents, Lucas...

Hanna slipping and mentioning New York to poofy-lips:  how is that new information?  Poofy said, "that's juicy!" but she's conspiring with Jenna and Mona, who already know that they weren't in Philly.  Are we supposed to assume that A didn't know?

Aria was actually dressed like a person! A very cute person, may I add! She looked absolutely adorable from head to toe...WHAT HAPPENED?

She was in disguise and that was her Normal Person drag.

Poofy said, "that's juicy!" but she's conspiring with Jenna and Mona, who already know that they weren't in Philly.

She was trying to get Hanna to gossip about it, since she was under the influence and all. Hanna stopped in time though, because she realized that was a slip-up. Interesting move to use it against her so immediately though. While the Liars are used to A being omniscient, the timing might still make the Liars suspicious of Snoopy Goopy. A probably couldn't care less what Team Jenissa is trying though. We have so much more information on them, but I still can't untangle the A and B teams.

• Love 2
(edited)

Agent Dark, that's a really interesting idea! I thought that it was an intriguing choice to have Caleb reading that particular book (unless they just wanted to show us that Caleb has great taste in reading material!), and I had wondered about the meaning. It seems like the director wouldn't have focused so much on it for no reason. Especially because it was followed by that Alli/Caleb scene, and later talking about his Ravenswood experiences. How much do those horror elements affect this show? I mean, now that that's all out there, will it factor into anything?  

Edited by tennisgurl

I would so much rather Ali have multiple personalities or something like that than a twin. I think it would be way more interesting. I still think someone is going to end up having a twin, but I'm just crossing all my fingers that it isn't Ali.

My problem with the twin thing is that a) it's stupid and b) it's straight out of a bad 80s soap opera.

"I am not Harry. Harry is DEAD. I am LARRY! His EVIL TWIN! Muahahaha!" (cue ominous thunder soundtrack and close up of scene partner's shocked face including pores because the make up budget sucks. Le shock! Le gasp! Cue credits.)

• Love 4

In a perfect world where I hold sway with PLL writers, there would be no Ali twin or multiple personality Ali. There can still be a twin, because this is basically an elevated soap opera, which is part of what I love about it in the first place, but it would not be Ali's.  In this perfect PLL world, Ali would be dressed in different gear and skulking around backyards in the dark in hoodies and hats because she's a shady lady who can't or won't stop her lying and nefarious deeds, not because she has multiplied or broken with reality.  I think multiple personalities would be as much of a cop out as giving Ali a twin, but I do think Ali is something of a sociopath, which I guess counts for some kind of mental health issue. 

Love the idea that Ezra somehow did harm to Eddie!  I hate this redeem Ezra shtick, and would love to see Ezra's character stay on the shady side.  Because he is the real slim shady.  This certainly would make him interesting to the plot again, rather than just a creeper in it.  And, it would make Aria a fool a thousand times over for having sex with him again and thinking him getting shot could make up for his years of half-explained stalking and spying on high school girls. 

Question:  how can Noel Kahn chill out with Ali and hustle fugitives (ok, just CeCe) out of New York, be ready to pick Ali up from a train station in Jersey on a moment's notice, keep up with his class notes at Rosewood High, and maintain his air of mystery, all at once?  What's up with Mona having his notebook?  Is he a double or triple agent?  And when is he going to show up?  Dear writers, my perfect PLL world has Noel Kahn in it.  

• Love 2

I think Noel's notes are old. I could've sworn Noel was a year ahead of the rest of them (according to the first Halloween episode), and since they're seniors this year, he'd be graduated.

(edited)

They were still juniors in season three, season four is when the new school year started (I think... This show's time lapse is muy confusing).

Edited by kariyaki

I wonder if because of how mind screwy the timeline is if we will get a Halloween episode this year. I loved the first two Halloween episodes but hated last seasons and think that one needs a do over as I was pretty bored until like the last five seconds. 

I don't believe PLL is doing a Halloween episode this year. Instead, it's going to be a Christmas episode in December. Because somehow, the beginning of season 3 was the start of their senior year and they're not even to Christmas yet...

Not sure if that counts as a spoiler, but tagged anyone just in case someone is super spoiler phobic.

All will be forgiven if they have Ezra dressed as Santa telling Aria "Come sit on my lap, little girl!"

I don't know why the writers made Emily have a moment of clarity with Ali using her affections for lies but now she's totally all for it. Ali isn't that great and I hate all the crap this show is spewing on with Ali being all, "walk me home? I'm so scared" and why is Emily falling for it?

Ali is very hot. Emily is a teenager and Ali is her first love. I don't see the appeal of Ezra at all, but I didn't find the Ezria sex scene surprising. And the "walk me home" is Ali pushing Emily's Protector buttons. I think it's overkill at this point and wish Sasha wasn't directed to emote quite this much, but I take it as just another Unhinged!Spencer and Evil!TobAy unsubtle acting moment.

• Love 3

I think too, that Emily hit it on the head..Ali is needy. And part of the reason she is clinging to Emily is probably because she knows that of any of the liars, Emily definitely cares about her well being. Maybe Aria does. Maybe. Hanna wants to ship her out of town and Spencer wants to grill her to get answers, and then ship her out of town.

It is completely reasonable that a 16 year old would be scared out of her mind, after someone tried to kill her, her mother buried her, and she's being stalked. I think expecting Ali to be a well adjusted little socio path is asking too much. She knows, of anyone, she can rely on Emily. So she's clinging too her. Ali is manipulative and calculating and a pathological liar. But she's also a 16 year old who knows someone is trying to kill her and is looking for anyone that she can trust. It sure seems like it comes down to CeCe, Noel Kahn, and Emily. 

• Love 3
(edited)

The biggest problem with Alison isn't that she is being portray as victim, but at least in my opinion, the problem is the writers haven't shown us who Alison is as a person.  We've seen flashbacks where Alison is controlling and manipulating, we've seen present day Alison be a scare victim traumatized by her mother's death, we have even started to see Alison become more manipulative, like her old self, but the writers have yet to unify all these aspects into a single, coherent character.  It was one thing when Alison was believed to be dead, and we only saw bits and pieces of her personality through the girls memories of her.  That was fine because the character was meant to be a mystery, who true self was being revealed as the show went on, but that doesn't work when Alison is a main character with just as much, if not more screen time as the rest of the cast.  She is in at least one in every four scenes and I still have not idea how I am supposed to feel about the character.  Also it would be one thing in Alison's ambiguity was novel to the show, but every secondary character on this show has been portray as shady at one time or another.  I'm pretty sure every love interest (counting Paige instead of Ali as Emily's love interest) currently on the show, has been suspected of being A at one point or another. 

Personally I think the writers just need to pick a clear direction for Alison's character.  Either have her be a changed person, who is working to overcome her demons and make up for destroying her friends lives, or have her be a borderline sociopath, who while emotionally scared by everything that happened to her, is still willing to do whatever it takes to protect herself, or something else entirely.  Honestly at this point I would just be happy  with any clear idea of who Alison is as a character that didn't retcon away the flashbacks of her being a manipulative queen bee.

Edited by superman1204
  • Love 3

It's hard to believe Ali really needs the girls for support when she hasn't really told them what's going on and every time she's with them she's sneaking off to talk on the phone to someone else. It seems more like she just needs to control them.

• Love 6

Ali knows she needs the girls or else she won't really have anyone left and the girls are working hard to figure out this whole mess for Ali aswell. Ali doesn't really seem to be contributing much. I still think she hasn't told the girls the whole truth yet and is keeping some things to herself for own advantage. If I was one of the liars, I'd probably let Ali work things out for herself, she's not much of a friend nowadays and still seems to have her own agenda.

Also I'm getting really annoyed by Arias deer in the headlights expression every time she actually does something relevant. Usually she just seems to be on the show so Ezra can get screen time.

And how can someone as important as Jenna, whose name keeps coming up, have so little screen time?

• Love 1
(edited)

It is completely reasonable that a 16 year old would be scared out of her mind, after someone tried to kill her, her mother buried her, and she's being stalked. I think expecting Ali to be a well adjusted little socio path is asking too much. She knows, of anyone, she can rely on Emily. So she's clinging too her. Ali is manipulative and calculating and a pathological liar. But she's also a 16 year old...

Alison is 18 or at least 17. Also, I have a very tough time buying her supposed fear since she is sneaking out at night and so on. If she were terrified, the obvious thing to do would be to run or tell her father to get her a bodyguard (which he should have done regardless, by the way) or something. Pretending to be dead for two years and then returning to the very town where some psychopath is clearly after her and her friends makes no sense whatsoever. 

Personally I think the writers just need to pick a clear direction for Alison's character.

Yes, they are confusing "cryptic" with "character depth". And not just in the case of Alison but with half the characters in the show. Of course, due to the writers' ineptitude "cryptic" often comes off as "totally contradictory".

Edited by Jack Shaftoe
  • Love 1
(edited)

I love that Noel Kahn wrote his name in black sharpie on the cover his notebook. Narcissist? OCD?

It was interesting to see the way Hanna/Caleb and Emily/Paige were still in their couple habits even while broken up (first with Hanna taking some of Caleb's fries and then then Emily almost saying "I love you" when leaving a message for Paige). I'm not a shipper but I love Hanna and Caleb a couple, mostly because they have the most normal, honest, and mature relationship of everyone on this show. Even though they were still broken up for most of this episode, they couldn't help but look out for each other, from Hanna chiding him for reading about monsters instead of studying to Caleb knowing that she is struggling to break away from Ali because she took three fries (and later coming over because of her SOS text). Even when they were trying to be non-coupley with each other, they still had the other person's best interests at heart which is why I like them.

And later when Ali was being passive aggressive with Hanna, pretending to have the group's interest and talking about how Caleb could make trouble without even trying, I loved that Hanna immediately defended Caleb and said she trusted him, even though her last interaction with him was kicking him out of her house. She might have been mad at him for making stupid decisions, but she still knew that he was trustworthy and that he didn't deserve Ali's disdain. I really loved that despite Ali's superficial attempt to be friendly with him, he wasn't afraid to call her on her shit. He knows that she is a destructive force who leaves damage in her wake.

Part of me feels like Hanna might not have been so blunt with Caleb about wanting to get back together if it hadn't been for Ali telling her not to see him anymore, and I hate that it's possible that not wanting to obey Ali was part of Hanna's motivation for finally laying her cards on the table with Caleb. But for the most part, I'm just glad that they are back together because they don't try to manipulate each other (Alison/Emily), they have an equal relationship (unlike Aria/Ezra), neither of them has tried to drown the other (Paige/Emily), and neither of them has been on the A team (Spencer/Toby).

Interesting that Ali told Hanna, "You have to keep a clear head. It's hard to do that when you're kissing somebody." Was that her way of admitting to the audience that she is only hooking up with Emily to keep Emily from thinking clearly? That "will you walk me home after school?" business was so obvious but of course Emily is totally oblivious to being manipulated by Ali.

Ahhh, Rosewood - where perverts can date their own students and high school kids don't get carded buying beer in the middle of the day! Although I do not want to see Caleb and Hanna spiral into self destruction, part of me loved Caleb not giving a fuck. Between reading a comic book instead of studying and then day drinking to celebrate blowing off his exit exams, I was enjoying his attitude while wanting to scold him.

I loved that Spencer was barely able to tolerate being at Ezra's but that once he started trying to bond with her over their screwed up families, she used it to her advantage to get some free spy equipment. Always thinking! Unfortunately, she wasn't thinking enough to also put a a camera inside too.

Despite the show's continued attempts to make Ezra into an ally for the girls this season, I still don't trust him. When Spencer admitted that the camera was to spy on Melissa because she's somehow connected to all of the A drama and then Ezra suggested that they put down the puzzles and walk away, it just made me suspect him even more and start thinking of new conspiracy theories (Ezra is still working with the A team and he doesn't want Spencer to find out that he has been collaborating with Melissa!).

who knows their best friend's menstrual cycle with that accuracy? I'm confused by mine! I still haven't decided if that was incredibly creepy or sweet from Emily's side to have that information at hand, just like that.

When I lived in the dorms, many of us knew each other's approximate cycles so it didn't seem overly weird that Emily would know about Hanna's, especially because Hanna strikes me as the kind of person who probably complains abour her cramps every month which makes it really easy to keep track of her cycle.

Question:  how can Noel Kahn chill out with Ali and hustle fugitives (ok, just CeCe) out of New York, be ready to pick Ali up from a train station in Jersey on a moment's notice, keep up with his class notes at Rosewood High, and maintain his air of mystery, all at once?

He is a magical ninja! He may also have a transporter beam and a time turner.

From all the way back to season 1 we've been shown Hanna knows how to hold her liquor (save when there's an outside force getting her extra-drunk like Lucas or her father's stepdaughter) so I'm not surprised she seems to be drinking just enough to be a little tipsy but keeps enough of her wits not to be obvious in front of Pam or her mother (again).

ITA - she wasn't totally trashed. She had half a glass of vodka which she sipped throughout dinner. It's not like she chugged the whole bottle at once. I like that she wasn't falling down drunk (which Pam definitely would have noticed), just drunk enough to lower her inhibitions so that she sniped at Ali and was a little too chatty with someone she normally wouldn't talk to. Despite being a little drunk, Hanna was still able to tell that Pam didn't believe Ali's story, which I found hilarious.

I would hope after 2 years the girls would figure out the school bathroom is a PUBLIC place that anyone can use and not a good place to talk about all the secret and lies you have. They make it so easy for A+ and Team Janona, they don't need to plan anything elaborate, just go about their day like normal and find out everything they need to know.

This drives me crazy on a lot of shows but particularly on PLL because they KNOW that A, Mona, and Ezra have spied on them in the past so they should be extra cautious about having any private conversations at school or in public. It's just common sense to do a feet check before talking about secret things in the school bathroom, even if you aren't being stalked by crazy people in hoodies.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
(edited)
First of all Aria is such a dull character. I thought it was Ezra but Aria clearly brings nothing to the show. Lucy Hale came on as the lead but the writers clearly saw something different and gave Troian the heavy handed stuff for the most part.

For me, Lucy Hale is the sole reason I'm able to tolerate the character - which is a huge accomplishment. I blame the writers for ruining the character by leaving her on the sidelines for the juicier plotlines and shoving Ezria down my throat.

But her complete inability to form a sentence when nervous is hilarious. Like, spit it out you moron! I wish this uber-awkward Aria was a more consistent characteristic, because it fits her book character better.

Pam has become my favorite parent just because she's a cool mom and not a regular mom.

She was great last night, but for me it will always be Ashley.

Mona looked gorgeous during that conversation she had with one of the girls in the hall at school earlier in the episode. Best I've seen her look.

Yes. That Lime Green/Purple leopard-print sweaterset was to die for.

There was absolutely no reason to have the bottle of vodka there. None. Wine at Hanna's house, yes. Pam Fields and vodka? Just no. But, of course, the show needed something that Hanna could pretend was water. Badly done though.

Most families will have a tray with an assortment of liquors on it that's around at dinner parties. To me it seemed as if Pam was even offering to mix Hannah something (presumably weak), but she opted for water. It was a strange scene, but I don't find the vodka's presence particularly unrealistic.

Also, who knows their best friend's menstrual cycle with that accuracy? I'm confused by mine! I still haven't decided if that was incredibly creepy or sweet from Emily's side to have that information at hand, just like that.

I've heard that if women spend a lot of time in the same group then their cycles will start to align. Most of my friends seem to know one another's cycles. Or, maybe Emily is A.

Edited by Oholibamah

Most families will have a tray with an assortment of liquors on it that's around at dinner parties. To me it seemed as if Pam was even offering to mix Hannah something (presumably weak), but she opted for water. It was a strange scene, but I don't find the vodka's presence particularly unrealistic.

But Hanna's not even close to legal drinking age in the US, and neither are Ali or Emily - why would Pam be mixing cocktails for highschoolers? It made absolutely no sense to me, as she was the only adult at the table and the only adult she could have expected since she only invited Emily's high school friends. I seriously doubt parents break out the tray of liquor for a dinner with the daughter's 18yo girlfriends. That seemed very contrived to make the Hanna water/vodka situation happen.

• Love 2
(edited)

It's hard to believe Ali really needs the girls for support when she hasn't really told them what's going on and every time she's with them she's sneaking off to talk on the phone to someone else. It seems more like she just needs to control them.

I agree.  I think Ali came back to Rosewood because going solo was becoming too dangerous.  As she said, when she disappeared she thought she knew who A was but as time went on she became less sure.  But A still knew/found out that Ali was alive and either knew or was close to finding out where she was.  I think Ali's back in Rosewood because at least there she's visible.  With all the media attention she got, if she goes missing there will be entire police forces on the case whereas if she disappeared while on the run when people thought she was dead, no one would know or care.  

I think Ali's back is against the wall which accounts for her vulnerability and jumpiness.  Right now, she's probably still trying to take care of the A problem but she needs to have a support base for when things get crazy, which is why she's trying to queen bee the girls (that and she's Alison).  But since they're not really that thrilled to have her back in her lives, she's clinging to Emily as her sure support.  I think Ali does like Emily but not as much as she acts like she does.

So the grand question is what did Ali do or know that made A want to go after her?  Did Alison just piss the wrong people off?  Earlier in the series I thought that Marlene King was going towards Ali finding out about a pedophile ring in Rosewood.  There was the N.A.T club that had videotapes of the girls trying on clothes and there was that flashback with Alison asking to spend the night over at Spencer's because her brother's friends were over.  She said something like "There's no way I'm sleeping there unless I have locks on my door".  Alison coming over to the Hastings' house with a cut on her cheek and the fact that both times she was crying and then tried to hide her tears.  So I thought that there was enough there that would indicate Alison being abused.

And there's the general shadiness of a lot of Rosewood's men and their willingness to hookup with underage girls.  But if Marlene was going that direction then I think there'd be more hints of Rosewood having a pedophile problem.  But I can't imagine someone doing all of this to Alison and the girls based on an insult so Alison must have done or known something huge.  I hope it's explosive.

Edited by lion10
  • Love 4

But Hanna's not even close to legal drinking age in the US, and neither are Ali or Emily - why would Pam be mixing cocktails for highschoolers? It made absolutely no sense to me, as she was the only adult at the table and the only adult she could have expected since she only invited Emily's high school friends. I seriously doubt parents break out the tray of liquor for a dinner with the daughter's 18yo girlfriends. That seemed very contrived to make the Hanna water/vodka situation happen.

I would believe that Spencer's or Aria's families would offer mixed drinks to high schoolers. Possibly even Mama Marin. It doesn't fit with Pam's personality at all that she would be serving drinks to minors. I know a lot of parents who would be okay with drinking in the house as long as the girls were all staying there. That drink tray made absolutely no sense for what we know about Mama Fields.

So the grand question is what did Ali do or know that made A want to go after her?  Did Alison just piss the wrong people off?  Earlier in the series I thought that Marlene King was going towards Ali finding out about a pedophile ring in Rosewood.  There was the N.A.T club that had videotapes of the girls trying on clothes and there was that flashback with Alison asking to spend the night over at Spencer's because her brother's friends were over.  She said something like "There's no way I'm sleeping there unless I have locks on my door".  Alison coming over to the Hastings' house with a cut on her cheek and the fact that both times she was crying and then tried to hide her tears.  So I thought that there was enough there that would indicate Alison being abused.

And there's the general shadiness of a lot of Rosewood's men and their willingness to hookup with underage girls.  But if Marlene was going that direction then I think there'd be more hints of Rosewood having a pedophile problem.  But I can't imagine someone doing all of this to Alison and the girls based on an insult so Alison must have done or known something huge.  I hope it's explosive.

I so wish that they were still hinting about Rosewood being full of sexual criminals. They don't really qualify as pedophiles, since that applies to being attracted to prepubescent children. However, there are tons of statutory rapists in this town. I wish we could see more of the creepiness of that, rather than the "True Love 4Ever" being forced on us with the Ezria relationship.

I would believe that Spencer's or Aria's families would offer mixed drinks to high schoolers. Possibly even Mama Marin. It doesn't fit with Pam's personality at all that she would be serving drinks to minors. I know a lot of parents who would be okay with drinking in the house as long as the girls were all staying there. That drink tray made absolutely no sense for what we know about Mama Fields.

The surprising part is that Emily used to have a drinking problem after Maya was killed, so it doesn't make sense that her mom would be freely doling out alcohol to teenagers.  That's some pretty irresponsible parenting right there, but then again this is Rosewood.

• Love 1

Ali knows she needs the girls or else she won't really have anyone left and the girls are working hard to figure out this whole mess for Ali aswell. Ali doesn't really seem to be contributing much. I still think she hasn't told the girls the whole truth yet and is keeping some things to herself for own advantage. If I was one of the liars, I'd probably let Ali work things out for herself, she's not much of a friend nowadays and still seems to have her own agenda.

Alison is 18 or at least 17. Also, I have a very tough time buying her supposed fear since she is sneaking out at night and so on. If she were terrified, the obvious thing to do would be to run or tell her father to get her a bodyguard (which he should have done regardless, by the way) or something. Pretending to be dead for two years and then returning to the very town where some psychopath is clearly after her and her friends makes no sense whatsoever. 

And this is a major plot hole, Ali clearly knows more than she's telling, if she's in so much danger, why isn't she telling the whole truth? It's so stupid, someone killed her mother, someone blew up Toby's house, that should give her a clue that A isn't screwing around. Why is she making up stories about being kidnapped? At this point being held responsible for the Jenna thing is the least of her problems. It doesn't make any sense that she's still keeping secrets, she should just tell the police everything she knows.

About the Alcohol, her and Alison were laughing when the scene starts, and I can't remember the lines, but I got the impression that Ali's father sent the alcohol over. (Which was making Ali and Emily's mom laugh.) 

This is why I can't feel sorry for Ali. Now, based on the sins we know she's commited, did she deserve to be left for dead by her own mother, buried alive, and stalked by a psycho? I wouldn't say that. She deserved to be punished but I can't say that everything that happened to her was some sort of fair karmic justice. (Jenna might feel differently but objectively speaking...). Having said that, what irks me is that now that she is back in the fold, she has made no effort to change her ways. She's still telling lies and keeping secrets which is the very behavior that got her in this whole mess in the first place, deserved or not. I can kind of understand why the others can't just cut her out. After thinking she was dead for how long, mourning her, then discovering she was alive I see how you just can't wak away from that. However, girl is toxic and I'm glad Hanna is realizing that. The other liars aren't angels and share some of the culpability for covering up the Jenna thing but we also see them struggling and trying to make the right decisions which is a lot more relatable. For Ali, lying is her oxygen (or whatever the quote is from Ezra) and they are never going to get all of her as a friend. She will always have an ulterior motive. She will always have an agenda. I just want to yell at the TV, "She's using you, Emily!!!"

These episodes serve to show how much I actually do like Aria when she's not all about Ezra. I don't mind her deer in headlights look when she is investigating because not everyone can be crazy quick on her feet like Spencer or street smart like Hanna.

For as much as I enjoy Ezra/Spencer scenes, he still shouldn't be friendly with the under aged girls. I don't care that she was just helping him move some stuff, he's her teacher and it's weird. Wait. Is he still her teacher? Either way it's weird. Doesn't he have any buddies who could've helped? His brother? A female friend his own age? They wouldn't even have to know it was his spy stuff. He could've just said "stuff."

What I am getting from the show is that Ezra only hangs around teenage girls. He knows no one older than 18 and that is exactly how he likes it. At least he had the decency to look a little sheepish when Spencer basically called him out on being a bigger spying perv than she'd ever imagined. lol Yes, Ezra, it is creepy to have your victim help you move all the illegally obtained dirt you have on her and her friends. In what world do you think this is remotely normal, healthy behavior.

• Love 5

I lol'd at his attempted sob story. Like "I didn't even write the story I wanted" "blah blah blah..my family is dysfunctional and rich and it made me sad, I didn't REALLY want to stalk you."

• Love 5

I lived Spencer's facial expressions throughout that whole exchange. She didn't really care. Also did he want to write a story about his dysfunctional rich family because that's like the most unoriginal thing ever, but I feel like he was saying he wanted to write about his family but the publishers wouldn't go for that.

It's really funny that Ezra gave his whole family sob story to Spencer of all people.  I am pretty sure the Hastings perpetual lying and possible involvement in several murders trumps Ezra's mommy issues.  Seriously, if having a rich dysfunctional family was an excuse for illegal and moral activities, Spencer would have an excuse to commit multiple robberies and murders.  Instead she actually cares about people close to her and the worst she has ever done was go along with Ali's lies.  Spencer is basically the counter example to the excuse Ezra gave for his actions.

• Love 3

And this is a major plot hole, Ali clearly knows more than she's telling, if she's in so much danger, why isn't she telling the whole truth? It's so stupid, someone killed her mother, someone blew up Toby's house, that should give her a clue that A isn't screwing around. Why is she making up stories about being kidnapped? At this point being held responsible for the Jenna thing is the least of her problems. It doesn't make any sense that she's still keeping secrets, she should just tell the police everything she knows.

That's what I've been trying to figure out for a long time now... Rosewood police may be useless, but maybe they could help in some way. I doubt A would kill the entire police force just to be able to keep messing around. And wouldn't it be better to tell them the truth rather than getting accused of every single little thing? How  these girls want to get into any college is a mystery. Even a small background check little googeling their names would ruin any chances. Although they'll probably all end up at Hollis so the show can keep going for many years. If senior year even ever comes to an end. And just how was Ali able to keep up with her school stuff and make it to senior year...

(edited)

I too thought Ezra's self pity when he said, "I didn't even get to write the book I wanted to write," was simultaneously pathetic and hilarious. Nothing's stopping you from writing that lame book, Ezra. It's just that no one will want to read it - except maybe Aria, who is always trying to delve deeper into what she perceives as the mystery of Ezra's personality.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

In a world where a fanfiction about a badly written vampire teen romance gets not only published but is made into a series and now has a freaking movie deal can be published than surely a spoiled little rich boy can log onto amazon and self publish his little vanity piece. But of course, my impression of Ezra Fitz is that he loves the romance of the tortured writer much more than he wants to actually be a writer. It's not like he doesn't have a small fortune to fall back on when he finally gets board with his expensively decorated to look haphazard and shabby chic studio. He's just a little poser, which makes him perfect for equally un-artsy "artsy" Aria. As much as I hate them as a couple I am starting to realize that they are really perfect for each other, which doesn't say much about either of them . lol

• Love 7

For as much as I enjoy Ezra/Spencer scenes, he still shouldn't be friendly with the under aged girls. I don't care that she was just helping him move some stuff, he's her teacher and it's weird. Wait. Is he still her teacher? Either way it's weird. Doesn't he have any buddies who could've helped? His brother? A female friend his own age? They wouldn't even have to know it was his spy stuff. He could've just said "stuff."

So, so true!  These unanswered questions about an unethical high school teacher should be uppermost in people's minds.  But here's Ezra, just showing up at Aria's house at night, as bold as you please.  (Of course, he knows her parents are never home.  Because why would they want to watch over their troubled teens?)

As for the book Ezra wanted to write, yeah he's a whiny tortured writer and all, but I'm hoping there's more to it than that.  If he started out wanting to write about (as he put it) what happened to him and his brother and who his parents really are, and he ended up writing about Ali, I'd like to think there is an actual connection between the families.  This of course could make Ezra's being picked up by Ali in a college bar even creepier.  But I really hope we find out what's up with his cray cray mom.  She was awesomely sinister in that beautiful upper crust way when we did get to see her on the show, and I'd love for her to get more screen and story line time.  Let's not forget that Ezra changed his name.  He gave that crap lie about not wanting to try to be a writer with a last name like Fitzgerald, but I didn't buy it then or now.  There's a big story behind his family, and I suspect it is tied to at least some of our Rosewood mysteries.  Thinking along such lines makes me think it's likely that Ezra knows more than he's saying about why Eddie would reach out to him with Bethany's drawing, and that Ezra might have something to do with his mysterious no-show.  Eddie didn't have to look up Ezra's number to call him after Aria left Radley.  He didn't talk like he and Ezra were very familiar with each other (he asked for him by his full name), but how the hell did he know Ezra's number and where he lived?  Maybe Mama Fitzgerald has a hand in Radley's weirdness?  

• Love 1

About the Alcohol, her and Alison were laughing when the scene starts, and I can't remember the lines, but I got the impression that Ali's father sent the alcohol over. (Which was making Ali and Emily's mom laugh.) 

I completely missed all of that.  I thought Hanna brought the vodka with her, and Pam's "would you like a drink?" was more along the lines of "lemonaide, iced tea, or milk".

In a world where a fanfiction about a badly written vampire teen romance gets not only published but is made into a series and now has a freaking movie deal can be published than surely a spoiled little rich boy can log onto amazon and self publish his little vanity piece. But of course, my impression of Ezra Fitz is that he loves the romance of the tortured writer much more than he wants to actually be a writer

Totally agree.  Didn't he spend a year in Europe visiting various spots that Hemmingway frequented, and used F. Scott Fitzgerald's manual typewriter to compose his Great American True Crime story?  I might be misremembering which actual authors he's mimicking, but he's always stuck me as a pretentious believer in sympathetic magic.  "If I follow the paths of the Greats, use their very implements to craft my words, then I too shall become a Great Author!".  Get over yourself, Ezra, you're destined to write textbooks for small kids that teach them how to identify "bad touches".  It's your area of expertise.

• Love 4

ITA that Ezra likes the idea of being a tortured writer more than anything else. You know he was probably the nerd in high school who wore a black turtleneck and beret after becoming obsessed with the beatniks.

What annoyed me about him saying that he didn't get to write the book he wanted about his family is that he made it sound like it was such a tragedy that his Great Novel was interrupted by stalking teenagers. If he still wants to write this dumb book about his family, then there's absolutely nothing stopping him from doing it (heh, except fear of his mother, I would guess!) but instead of actually doing that now that he's once again unemployed, he's just bitching about it to Spencer. A normal person probably would have just realized that his family story is boring as shit, but I bet Ezra still thinks that his version of The Great Gatsby is inside him just waiting to get out. I couldn't even type that sentence without rolling my eyes.

• Love 3

With all those boxes and files and everything he has about the liars, I still don't believe he has told them everything he knows. After all that digging and researching and spying he thought Shana was the real threat? How could anyone believe that? I get the girls believing that for a minute, because they would believe anything if it meant A was gone, but super smart Ezra? Either he's just as gullible as the girls or he knows more about the whole thing than he has told. He's probably still trying to finish his book, so he's keeping some information to himself to see how things play out.

I'd like to know what Wrens real connection to Eddie is, they were weird together last season and Wrens name always seems to come up. He seems to want Eddie to keep his mouth shut, otherwise I think Eddie would have helped or even talked to the liars before now (still hope he stays alive, he seems like a really nice guy, which is something I wouldn't say about most guys in Rosewood)

• Love 1

I'd like to know what Wrens real connection to Eddie is, they were weird together last season and Wrens name always seems to come up. He seems to want Eddie to keep his mouth shut, otherwise I think Eddie would have helped or even talked to the liars before now (still hope he stays alive, he seems like a really nice guy, which is something I wouldn't say about most guys in Rosewood)

I really hope we see Julian Morris come back sometime in 5B. Wren is one of my favorite secondary characters. He's so slimy and he's definitely holding onto a lot of secrets.

he seems like a really nice guy, which is something I wouldn't say about most guys in Rosewood)

He hasn't hooked up, hit on, or deliberately manipulated any high school girls yet, which puts him a step above just about every guy we've seen so far on this show.

• Love 1

I get the girls believing that for a minute, because they would believe anything if it meant A was gone, but super smart Ezra? Either he's just as gullible as the girls...

Bingo. What exactly has led you to believe Ezra might not be a pretentious moron after all? The very fact that he has cameras everywhere and has yet to find out who A is speaks volumes.

So I thought that there was enough there that would indicate Alison being abused.

I sure hope not, just once I would like to see a sociopath without some banal childhood trauma.

• Love 2

Bingo. What exactly has led you to believe Ezra might not be a pretentious moron after all? The very fact that he has cameras everywhere and has yet to find out who A is speaks volumes.

I sure hope not, just once I would like to see a sociopath without some banal childhood trauma.

Exactly, he's just a pathetic glorified creep/stalker.