Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E10: Storms and Rainbows

• Start Topic

(edited)

I really felt for Helen. The scenes with her and whatshisface (Jeff I think, I’ve gotten so bad with names) broke my heart. I’d say it’s very easy to keep falling back into a relationship when you truly love the person but it’s lifestyle choices keeping you apart. I love Helen I think she’s my favourite character so even if it doesn’t work out with Eric I’d love to see her Go it alone and have a baby herself.

I have zero interest in this Annie/Ty/CeCe drama. Jealousy is not a good luck on either of these girls and Ty just isn’t worth it. 

Isaac isn’t played by the best actor either - his storyline is so random especially since it’s not really linked to any Of the main ladies. 

Chris Kleins accent is so strong. Im not sure if that’s the actors real accent but if not I wonder if he gets tired doing it.

Kyle just breaks my heart. He’s such a sweet kid. I actually quite liked the scene with him and his dad. I loved the “Teach Me son” line. It was also nice that he got some affection from Jackson’s sister. 

aaah what a cliffhanger. I really hope this show gets renewed!!! I thought it was going to be Ty as would be a convenient way to kill off the dream of being scouted. Now I thinks either Nellie or Annie.

Edited by Avabelle
  • Love 7

That took a bit of a dark turn, well damn it now I have to watch the next season for sure! Of course Kyle is the one who apparently grabbed the car and drove it off the road, I like Kyle, but he can sure bring the drama. I thought that it would be Ty in the car (especially if it hurts him permanently and it ruins his baseball dreams) but now I wonder if it was Annie. Oh the drama! 

I am glad that, for now, the whole Annie/Ty/Kyle triangle seems to have ended with all three of them getting new love interests, the whole sibling love triangle of longing was just awkward, even leaving aside that they're families are really close. 

Finally, Dana Sue went an episode without yelling at everyone about any minor thing! Hot Organic Farmer is really doing wonders! But now she has a long lost kid? This whole plot with the cook wandering around town looking for his long lost bio parents is such a weird subplot, even now that its actually connected to a main character, it just feels so random. Its really soapy, and this show is more romcom than soap for the most part. 

I thought early on that Helen would hook up with the sui chef with the tragic backstory, they seemed to be a bit flirty, but then she got with her ex, but now that he is gone for real, maybe she can start something with him? I like Helen a lot, so hopefully things work out for her. 

Its nice that Bill has finally possibly realized what a selfish ass he has been and is making an effort (his scene where he got Hamilton tickets for Kyle was sweet) but I really hope that Maddie doesn't take him back. 

South Carolina is such a distinct accent if you know what your listening for (its especially sing song-y to me) and some actors did better than others. Chris Klein sounded like he was trying way too hard, while I thought that Helen sounded the most natural. 

This show really was sort of the TV equivalent to iced tea: not particularly healthy and can be a bit too much at times, but when your in the right mood, its quite sweet and goes down easy. 

• Love 6

I still think that Peggy (that's the editor's name right?) will be Isaac's birth mom.

If I had to choose I'd have the passenger, whoever it is, be alive to milk the drama. If it's Nelly then that increases the hostility between the three and her mom as well as Ty and Jackson. If it's Annie then the core relationships of the three get challenged. There's really no reason for the passenger to be Cece but she and Helen bonded so there would be drama there. I actually don't think it's Ty because the related drama would be limited, in a direct way, to Maddie and Bill and a cliffhanger like this should involve all three women one way or another. My guess is that it's Annie as I can see that shaking things up the most.

• Love 2
(edited)
22 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I still think that Peggy (that's the editor's name right?) will be Isaac's birth mom.

Yeah, what the hell was she babbling on about to Helen? Helen didn't even seem to know what she was talking about. 

On 5/22/2020 at 5:46 PM, tennisgurl said:

Of course Kyle is the one who apparently grabbed the car and drove it off the road, I like Kyle, but he can sure bring the drama.

Yeah I get they wanted some dramatic cliffhanger but that whole sequence made no sense. I understand Kyle's been going through things. But his dad was making an effort with the Hamilton tickets and Jackson's sister was this cute girl clearly interested in him. 

His whole freakout over Tyler telling him to stay out of the situation made no sense. And certainly not enough to run out and jump in a car and drive off, without a damn license or probably even knowing how to drive. Just strange. And where the hell did all the kids go? That whole thing was just directed weirdly. 

On 5/22/2020 at 9:53 AM, Avabelle said:

The scenes with her and whatshisface (Jeff I think, I’ve gotten so bad with names) broke my heart.

I'm pretty sure his name is Ryan. Heather Headley is a good actress. But sometimes, her obvious stage training and background comes across where her emotions are slight over the top. 

On 5/22/2020 at 9:53 AM, Avabelle said:

Isaac isn’t played by the best actor either - his storyline is so random especially since it’s not really linked to any Of the main ladies. 

Well if Dana Sue is indeed his biological mother, that will certainly change. 

On 5/22/2020 at 5:46 PM, tennisgurl said:

I am glad that, for now, the whole Annie/Ty/Kyle triangle seems to have ended with all three of them getting new love interests,

The look Annie and Tyler gave each other while dancing with their dates suggests that that storyline is definitely not over. Though I do think the Kyle part of the equation will likely be over and he will let go of his interest in Annie.

But it definitely seemed like things with Annie and Tyler may still not be entirely finished. As to who the other person in the car is, I definitely think it's either Tyler or Annie. 

I see the argument about the mayor's daughter, as a way to cause more strain between those families, especially if the daughter is seriously hurt.

But I think more drama can be mined if it's Tyler and he does get injured in a way that affects his baseball. Think all the guilt from Kyle, anger from Tyler, more strain in the family, etc. 

And if it's Annie, there's the whole complicated romantic stuff between her, Kyle and Tyler, coupled with maybe causing some strain between Dana Sue and Maddie, etc. Because my guess, whoever was in the passenger seat was probably trying to get Kyle to stop the car, which likely led to the accident. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1
On 5/25/2020 at 12:23 AM, truthaboutluv said:

His whole freakout over Tyler telling him to stay out of the situation made no sense. And certainly not enough to run out and jump in a car and drive off, without a damn license or probably even knowing how to drive. Just strange. And where the hell did all the kids go? That whole thing was just directed weirdly. 

I'm pretty sure his name is Ryan. Heather Headley is a good actress. But sometimes, her obvious stage training and background comes across where her emotions are slight over the top. 

Well if Dana Sue is indeed his biological mother, that will certainly change. 

I am going to rewatch because that scene was all over the place.  I actually asked my daughter if I missed where all the teens went. 

Thank you for the information about Heather Headley because I have been thinking she is my least favorite character only because her acting sometimes takes me out of the scenes.  I even said it's "over the top" to my daughter and like she's  not really connected to the rest of the people.  But being stage trained makes a lot of sense and maybe she will be able to transition her presence more in the second season if we have a second season. 

I get Kyle was in a horrible tragic accident and everyone needs to run to their friend's side but Dana Sue needed to FINISH that conversation with her sous chef.  Even if they didn't show us that outcome until next season.  That kid is hurting/struggling as much as Kyle and should have been told that yes she's his mom or no he had the wrong woman.  Clearly, this didn't happen because Dana Sue was at the accident scene. 

Also, that didn't ring true to me either.  Unless it is a tiny town thing or they happened upon that scene by accident no one was taking the time to call the parents AT THE SCENE of a critical accident where they had to use the Jaws of Life to get the unconscious kid out of the car while the parents and their friends watched.

I wanted to like this show but between the bad accents and the writing I am not sure I would watch another season unless my young adult daughter is still home from college (please no!) or because there is nothing better on Netflix, Hulu or Disney +.

• Love 2

This is a fluffy show. At times a bit corny with questionable performances and writing, but I find it to be a nice mindless soap-adjacent escape. 

Maddie is an idiot if she gets back together with Bill. I hope her and Cal are - as the kids say - endgame. 

Injuries notwithstanding, what the heck is a 14 year old doing grabbing keys to a car and taking off? Like, dumb. 

• Love 4
On 5/24/2020 at 9:23 PM, truthaboutluv said:

Yeah, what the hell was she babbling on about to Helen? Helen didn't even seem to know what she was talking about. 

I think it will turn out Peggy is Isaac’s birth mother. She was the only one who missed their junior (or was it senior?) year because she was living elsewhere. Probably the classic “pregnant teen sent out of town to avoid the gossip” scenario. And that is probably what Peggy had been alluding to in that conversation that made no sense. Plus it would be (IMO) way over the top to have Dana Sue turn out to be his birth mother.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
(edited)
On 6/1/2020 at 7:49 AM, CarpeFelis said:

Killing Annie off AND having Dana Sue turn out to be Isaac’s birth mother would be way, way over the top.

I agree.  It doesn't seem to be that kind of show.  It seems more dramatic than tragic.

Edited by RealityCreator
  • Love 2

Wow, the tidbit about Heather/Helen being a stage actress makes so much sense. She's definitely playing to the back of the house. And it's not helping that they seem to be writing this show like a play where almost everybody gets a monologue. In any event, an enjoyable watch but they seriously need to make Annie and Tyler take acting lessons over break.

• Love 1

God so much agreement re Annie/Tyler. I think they’re awful. Annie in particular. I can’t get behind the angst at all.

i actually prefer the back ground teenagers - CeCe or Tys baseball friend. They’re a lot more natural.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Avabelle said:

God so much agreement re Annie/Tyler. I think they’re awful. Annie in particular. I can’t get behind the angst at all.

i actually prefer the back ground teenagers - CeCe or Tys baseball friend. They’re a lot more natural.

I myself was a pretty morose and moody teenager so it's a little easier for me to relate.  It is not pretty to watch as an adult is it?  Fortunately for me, Uncle Catfish and I had male offspring.  If we had spawned a teenage drama queen I would probably be in prison right now!  

• LOL 5
15 hours ago, ALittleShelfish said:

That's a plot ready for the likes of Melrose Place lol

Wouldn't it be a hoot if Isaac's dad turned out to be Bill Townsend?  More stuff to pile in to the dumpster fire that is his life!!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

It took me until I was watching this episode to realize who the girl that plays Annie reminds me of - Mikey Madison from Better Things. It drove me crazy for nine and half episodes! 🙂

2.thumb.jpg.0a2499d25f1debe6a5487df2f4be0d0c.jpg

• Useful 1

So, I just binged the season. It was alright, I guess. Some things were set up well enough for season 2. 

I can't say I was fond of the Dana Sue storylines, or the Annie stuff. It's a shame, but Dana Sue is such an irritating character 75% of the time that even the 25% that I liked her, it was hard to get past the rest. 

I'm gonna say that Nellie or Annie were in the car. Tyler is probably the last person in the car, just because it's expected...which is why I'd be somewhat surprised if he IS. Unless they DO go left field and have it be CeCe for whatever reason (maybe she offers to keep an eye on Kyle because he's too upset at everyone else). But really, Nellie or Annie are likely options for the reasons stated above; Nellie being in the accident causes more friction with Maddie/Mary Vaughan and Tyler/Jackson. I doubt Nellie is dead (I think they ARE setting up Kyle/Nellie long-term) but she could be hurt enough where Mary Vaughan takes it out on the family. But...I find that almost a little too predictable, especially with how Maddie played nice to Mary Vaughan, even when Mary Vaughan was not being nice to Maddie, so this would just continue the one-sided rivalry. 

Annie's somewhat of a good choice, especially since we've seen Dana Sue get overdramatic and hold grudges. But would she be THAT angry at Maddie when it wasn't Maddie's fault? I don't know, it's hard to say. I guess, with Ronnie being back in the picture, it's possible she does take it out on Maddie and Kyle. Plus, Ronnie DID show up at the accident scene and it would be surprising for him to randomly show up since they didn't think Annie would be in the car and he'd only be there as a dramatic reveal when they drag Annie out. So, I'm leaning a bit more toward Annie.

Tyler would bring a few more storylines to the family stuff. Tyler would likely be at risk at losing any shot at playing professionally, and it could tear Maddie and Bill in opposite directions if they have each parent take a side (Kyle's fault vs Tyler's fault for not stopping him or something), but I agree that this technically wouldn't bring much to anyone else's story. And Maddie already has her drama with Cal and Bill. But I wouldn't be opposed to this option.

As for the Isaac stuff...I mean, I assume it's Peggy and Ryan who are his parents, right? Peggy has been getting the right amount of screentime as well as a backstory that it's quite possible that it's her. And she hinted at being in a relationship with Ryan and with how adamant he got about not being a parent, it's kind of obvious that they'd go that way. But Micah is a random addition to the cast, so I guess he'll have SOME role next season. Jeremy is a random love interest for Dana Sue, again because of Micah showing up to also be hinted at as a love interest, and then we also have Eric hanging around. Dana Sue has a LOT of men revolving around her story. It does make it harder to pinpoint who she's ending up with. 

Although Eric is still probably going to be with Helen. They really set those two up earlier in the season and then...dropped it for a while. I kind of liked Helen/Ryan, though. Eric's a sweet guy and I like his character a lot, but I also was intrigued with Ryan. 

As for the teens' love drama, I really don't care. I agree with others that CeCe is the most interesting of all of them. It's really because the actress is the best of them all. And I really, really don't like Annie/Tyler, but it seems like they'll probably get together. I just don't like that.  It's just gonna be a yawn-worthy romantic plot. 

As for Maddie's drama with Bill and Cal, I assume it's Cal all the way and she rejects him, but maybe this leads to Bill becoming a better human. Although, I gotta feel bad for Noreen. I mean, either Bill is gonna forfeit all of his parental rights so that Noreen can start fresh, or she'll be back next season to co-parent. I just have no idea which option.

There's a lot going on in this series. I might come back for a season 2. Yes, there was a lot of mediocre acting and some questionable storylines, but it's not a bad show.  

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/22/2020 at 8:53 AM, Avabelle said:

Chris Kleins accent is so strong. Im not sure if that’s the actors real accent but if not I wonder if he gets tired doing it.

He was raised in Illinois, so definitely not his natural accent. And, as a person who has spent her entire life in the south, it's bad. Like really bad. Bless his heart, I'm certain he's trying hard, but he just can't do a southern accent. I wish he would take a page from Joanna Garcia Swisher's book and realize less is more.

Edited by BlancheDevoreaux
  • Love 2

The cliffhanger of the final season was over the top and too inconsiderate to those following the show, especially when they don't even have a contract for a 2nd Season...and now if so, it will be greatly delayed.

Wonder if I'm the only one that they lost as a follower of the show due to the ridiculous last episode? 

Husband unknown shows up and becomes the now 2nd possibility...all kids stay at a party of someone they don't like and especially after the last party debacle...just when things are improving relationally on several fronts, kid blows-up irrationally and is left fighting for his life...it goes on but I'm left feeling "ditched" and don't care any longer to follow or watch this any longer, sadly :( 

(edited)

I started and finished the series yesterday.  It was right up my alley, so I loved it.  Did not want it to end, especially with that cliffhanger!!

I wonder if Isaac’s dad is Ronnie and his mom is Peggy.  That is my guess!

Edited by geauxaway
  • Love 2
On 7/6/2020 at 1:02 PM, geauxaway said:

I started and finished the series yesterday.  It was right up my alley, so I loved it.  Did not want it to end, especially with that cliffhanger!!

I wonder if Isaac’s dad is Ronnie and his mom is Peggy.  That is my guess!

Very interesting.......mmmmmm

I didn't like the finale. Not just the cliffhanger, but the Bill and Maddie stuff made me roll my eyes.  The big dramatic scene with Isaac where Dana Sue just had to leave in the middle.  

It might be my least favorite episode.

This was a fun, light (until the last episode!) series.  They had to have known they were renewed for season 2 before they filmed that cliffhanger -- it was a doozy!  I think that it will be Annie as the passenger in the car because that makes the most drama between the three lead characters.

I liked Joanna Garcia Swisher a lot in The Astronaut Wives Club and thought she was really good as Maddie.  I also liked Heather Headley as Helen (and I thought she had the best wardrobe!).  I hope endgame is Maddie with Cal and Helen with Erik.  Erik is an interesting character and I hope they go more into his backstory next season.  Brooke Elliott is a good actress but Dana Sue is a character I found hard to like.

All that said, I am on board for next season and look forward to seeing where the story goes.

• Love 4

I also enjoyed this series more than I thought I would. The first episode was boring but it kept my interest. The Annie/Ty drama was the worst and brought the show down but the friendship between the three ladies was amazing. Joanna Garcia Swisher has not aged since Reba- I would love to know her skincare regimen. Looking forward to season two.

• Love 3
On 8/3/2020 at 1:13 AM, twoods said:

The Annie/Ty drama was the worst

I mean, the fact that I really thought at first that Ty was secretly gay pretty much says it all about what I think about the Ty/Annie pairing. The only young characters I'm feeling at all are CeCe and Kyle. (I'm going to be partial to Kyle because I was a theater kid myself. Hell, I even took a mock trial class in high school.) 

So it looks like the Eric/Helen ship is about to fly. Good. 

So this poor kid Isaac has been walking around thinking that Eric, maybe Micah, and now the ex husband might be his father and Dana Sue might be his mother. I hope it turns out to be someone who will accept him and love him. My money is on Peggy.  He seems like a good kid.  Annie and CeCe are two morose and unpleasant young girls.  Annie has a perpetual pissed off look on her face. And I get it, I raised two daughters but these 2 girls have taken the teenage angst  over the top. 

I recently got Netflix (LOL), and this was one of the shows they kept recommending to me, so I gave it a shot. 

I'm not a Justin Bruening fan and don't find him cute or charismatic.  So Maddie and him are just very "blah" to me, and I don't care.  No heat there at all.

I like Helen, she's excellent at her job, she was so great in her support of CeCe at the mock trial stuff, and her wardrobe is wonderful.  But I never bought that her ex was this great love who she was supposed to have a lifetime of history with.  Just like Maddie and Cal, I got nothing.

Chef Erik was wonderful, and I was actually kind of hoping they would pair him with Dana Sue.  She needs someone like him to help her calm the fuck down, jeezus.  Looks like he's being paired with Helen, though, so I'll see how they click.  Wish he hadn't got rid of the facial hair since it looked so much better, IMO.

Noreen frustrated me when it came to Ty, but I thought she was so sweet & lovely & supportive with Kyle.  Hope next season continues the Kyle/Noreen friendship.

And speaking of Kyle...wow, he is the superior brother.  He's a cutie, he's funny, he's artistic, he's smart.  WTF is Annie doing crushing on Ty?  He's "basic" and I actually thought he was kind of an asshole when that drunken Annie voicemail leaked.  He didn't bother warning her and just texted "it wasn't me" after the voicemail was all over the place.  

Not sure why they had Kyle jump into Ty's vehicle and get in an accident.  That was totally weird and random.  I guess they just wanted to end on a dramatic note?     

• Love 1