Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Lowkey Trippin'

• Start Topic

Molly and Andrew take off for their first couples' vacation with Andrew's brother, Victor, and his wife, Lydia, and the trip is smooth sailing until a hotel employee steps out of line; Molly reevaluates her inability to let things go.

Promo:

Original air date: 5/24/20

Ok so Molly overreacting to the towel girl is suppose to be about her beef with Issa, displaced anger.

Before leaving on the trip, she saw Issa avoiding her at the Ethiopian restaurant.

Then during the trip, she saw that Issa was in the background of that FaceTime call with Nathan.

She couldn’t properly enjoy herself, forget about work and Issa for a weekend.

Even though they got champagne on Economy Plus, which doesn’t really happen.

Prentice and Issa said on the Wine Down that this was the first time they filmed outside the country and one of the things they wanted was to show black people can travel.  

Well Mabel did and maybe Latoya, but Molly didn’t travel too well.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)

So... I expected this episode to make me feel a little more in charity with Molly that I have been for the past couple of eps.  But right off the bat, she annoyed me.  When she saw Issa outside the restaurant and sat back waiting for Issa to come in like she was entitled to Issa's coming to her.  Man, I was so happy (again) that Issa turned around.

And then she said that one snarky line : 'that bitch ran away from me like I was an actual job"  and continued to judge Issa as  'messy' even though she has no idea what Issa is up to with Nathan.   Just no.  So I am still mad at Molly.

I will say Andrew's brother was completely out of pocket. You can't 'play devil's advocate' and invalidate someone else's experience with racism.  He gets a major side eye from me for even bringing it up. But Molly does herself no favors.  She escalates shit.  Also, has she forgotten she's a lawyer?  She should have been able to rationally argue him down.  But instead she goes straight to insult and anger. 

Outside of my lingering Molly aggravation, I will say some highlights for me:

Ok, so, Molly and Andrew get their freak on.  Like, really get their freak on.  I am here for this!  LOL.

Molly's outfits were fierce this episode.  Yvonne Orji has a bangin' bod and wardrobe does well by her.  That bag.... I am jealous with want.

Happy she called her therapist.  But sad because we know Issa would have normally been her #1 call to talk that shit out. But she's mad and acting out.

Kim Fields' was a fun little cameo.

Also in keeping with the episode writer getting a cameo,  the writer of this ep played the flight attendant in Economy Plus!

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 21
2 minutes ago, scrb said:

Before leaving on the trip, she saw Issa avoiding her at the Ethiopian restaurant.

This kind of encapsulates why I think Molly is just not at the same maturity level as Issa, despite Molly assuming that she's the grown-up. Molly's endless complaints about messiness reads to me like she's a very young person who can't yet accept shades of gray. Messy is life. Issa is handling her messiness with increasing skill and, I'm pretty sure, is unlikely to commit the same fuck-up twice.

Issa knows she avoided Molly at the restaurant. Molly, OTOH, seems clueless that her pretending not to see Issa was avoidance on her own part. Yet, again, she's judging Issa harshly for behavior she engages in herself. Molly, from what I can tell, lacks self-awareness. I seriously think Molly is a little young for Issa now.

Also: Andrew's brother was all kinds of wrong and Molly should never have had to put up with that.

• Love 15
(edited)

New to this section of Primer. I binge-watched Insecure in 2 days and so I could catch-up to this season! Some things that stood out tonight:

Issa ran from her like a job?? Issa was at her previous job for 5 years before making a change. In fact, Wasn't Molly at her previous law firm less than 5 years??

The timing of this only Molly episode was jarring. They have not made her very sympathetic. I'm somewhat biased though as I have a loved one very similar to her MO. Who have a specific type of negativity wrapped in velvet- They are likable, personable - you may even have fun with them. However, they never can admit wrong, never listen to another person's side, and everything is someone else fault. She brings up things that were done and settled years ago as proof to be mad at someone. And there's always something to be mad about. Love them but It's frustrating and I limit my exposure.

I thought in that airport scene that they would give her dots to connect to realize Lawrence and Issa had not been hooking-up as she thought.

The towel scene and argument after: black women have all been there and it sucks. When she pointed out that white couple did not have to give a room key - that should have been enough. Actually her expressing her experience should have been enough. However, I'm astounded that Molly is a successful lawyer who cannot communicate in a more effective way in personaly situations. How delicious would have been to see that lawyer skill used to cleverly eviscerate Andrew's Brother and put him in his place, while maintaining her cool? 

On a Shallow note: omg covet her wardrobe and, and like Brother-in-law's Wife - her figure is amazing. I lol when she asked if she was going to try to sleep with her!

Edited by shoetingstar
lions, and tigers and typos - oh my!
  • Love 13

Well, that "S.A.D.D." song early in the episode was...something.

Andrew nasty. What a way to fly!

Poor LaToya. She's internationally lost now. ¡Qué lastima!

Yeah, I think Andrew's brother was being a collosal jerk about the racism issue but Molly needs to learn not to fly off the handle in the heat of the moment. Her mouth really gets away from her. She's lucky Andrew was cool about it but I still wonder if he's running out of patience with her.

Re the previews, cash money on the table, Condola is pregnant and Lawrence wants to be the one to let Issa know.

Love Alexander Hodge's accent. Tonight's Wine Down is the first time I've heard him speak in his natural voice.

• Love 8
6 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Re the previews, cash money on the table, Condola is pregnant and Lawrence wants to be the one to let Issa know.

Lawrence is going to apologize to Issa for saying "Frisco" when Andrew and Molly asked where he was traveling from. He has to apologize to everyone, everywhere for that. You may refer to it as "Ess-Eff," "San Fran," or "up to the City" if you're flying from LA. It is known.

• LOL 4
  • Love 9
54 minutes ago, heavysnaxx said:

Lawrence is going to apologize to Issa for saying "Frisco" when Andrew and Molly asked where he was traveling from. He has to apologize to everyone, everywhere for that. You may refer to it as "Ess-Eff," "San Fran," or "up to the City" if you're flying from LA. It is known.

So funny, I moved from So. Cal to Nor. Cal. and I always refer to SF and "the city" and LA as "downtown". 

Not sure why, they both are large cities.  

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Fact that she called her therapist from the beach, alone, meant she regretted the argument.

If she didn't have the argument, the trip would be cast in an entirely different light instead of mainly being remembered for the beef.

• Love 3

Another newbie to this part of Primetimer who also binge-watched the show ahead of this season.

I think this episode, the show hinted that Andrew has been quietly disagreeing with Molly about her falling-out with Issa. When Molly started ragging on Nathan and his ghosting of Issa and Andrew told her that Nathan had been dealing with mental health stuff, that seemed to stop her cold. Then she asked if Issa knew, and Andrew rightly pointed out that that was between Nathan and Issa.

I can also see why Andrew wouldn't openly challenge Molly about her relationship with Issa—that friendship and its faults pre-date him by a long way. I actually think it's a smart move (not to mention a self-preserving one) on his part not to try to insert himself in it by defending Issa or telling Molly she was wrong—but I think he does think she's wrong. Molly's lucky she's with Andrew and not his brother, the devil's advocate, because Victor would definitely have had that argument with her. And while Victor would have been correct in that instance, he would have made the situation even worse.

• Love 17

The episode description really didn't describe what this episode ended up being about.  I was expecting her to be called on her grudge holding and for her to reflect on it.  I didn't really think that happened.

The whole incident that kicked it off was centered around what Molly saw as a microaggression. The employee could have been racist or it could have been the fifth time that white couple had come to get towels and she knew them.  But even if that were the case, it's the kind of thing that probably happens enough where racism is at the center of it all that it feels piled on. Molly's inability to engage with  Mr. Devil's Advocate notwithstanding, getting mad felt legit over that instance unlike many of the other stuff she was mad at in this episode.

It did crack me up how both Andrew and his sister-in-law had "ooooh, that was wrong" in reaction to points both Molly and Andrew's brother made during that argument.

4 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Also in keeping with the episode writer getting a cameo,  the writer of this ep played the flight attendant in Economy Plus!

And the director of this episode played......Lawrence.  Hey, if you're going to direct an episode, make it the one that shoots in Mexico (especially if your scenes aren't there.)

Speaking of Lawrence, I'm kind of wondering if he might be moving.  We've learned his tech company is restructuring.  There are a lot of tech companies in the "Frisco" area so I was wondering if had just come back from a job interview.

I did like that awkward "how do we greet each other" exhchange between Molly and Lawrence.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I can also see why Andrew wouldn't openly challenge Molly about her relationship with Issa—that friendship and its faults pre-date him by a long way.

But I think we've already learned that Issa knew Andrew before Molly met him. Issa knew him through Nathan. But Issa and Andrew don't really have much more than a passing acquaintanceship while her relationship with Molly is of course much more.

• Love 1

I love that the LaToya show is being aired in Mexico too!

Andrew's brother and wife seemed energetic but way too into activities and schedules for my taste, which is why I don't like to vacation with other people. I'd rather be on my own schedule and not have to worry about what other want to do or flaking if I don't feel like going. I'm all for doing stuff on vacation but there's also something to be said for just relaxing on the beach with no agenda for the day.

My nitpick about Molly's towel incident is WHO GETS IN THE POOL WITHOUT GETTING TOWELS FIRST? I stayed at a resort in the Bahamas that would give you free towels all damn day as long as you showed your room key so the first thing I did every time I went to the beach was stop there to get three towels (one for me, one for my husband, and one extra). Between Molly, Andrew, the brother, and the wife, that's four people and they didn't have one towel between them? Poor planning, y'all.

All that said, I have been in Molly's position so many times where I have watched ABC happen to countless people and then suddenly the situation was XYZ for me. It's so frustrating and there's nothing you can do to convince someone if they don't want to believe you (and it always drives me crazy when it's someone you know yet they want to insist on giving the benefit of the doubt to a stranger with "maybe this" and "maybe that").

The one thing Andrew's brother said that rang true to me was that he chooses to react calmly and Molly does not. As the universal saying goes, you can't control other people but what you can control is your reaction.

I'm not saying that Molly was wrong. She saw the employee give towels to the people in front of her without asking for a key and then she was asked to show her key and that is clearly not the same treatment by the staff. But Victor wasn't wrong when he said that she didn't have to react that way. Funny that someone who just met her pegged one of her issues so accurately because she does often react emotionally (as seen when she was arguing with Victor). You'd really think that as a lawyer, she would have learned to respond calmly, rationally, and factually and destroy people with logical arguments. Instead as we've seen many times over the course of the show, she gets mad and responds emotionally.

I'm glad that Molly recognized she is holding onto her anger and called her therapist to make an appointment. Hahaha, and she gets bonus points for the Michelle Tanner impression.

• Love 7

But right off the bat, she annoyed me.  When she saw Issa outside the restaurant and sat back waiting for Issa to come in like she was entitled to Issa's coming to her.  Man, I was so happy (again) that Issa turned around.

Yes. And then had the nerve to brace herself by saying "here we go." Just waiting to bask in the apology. Good on Issa for sticking to her guns and leaving. To tell you the truth, I was more upset that Issa left her food behind.

Oh, Andrew and Molly really go in. Gawd, if ya listenin, send an Andrew my way, amen.

I'll have to rewatch the scene, but Molly saw the white couple with their towels, but she didn't know if they showed their key card or not. She just saw them walk off with their towels. It could've gone down how she said it did, or, it could be that she's creating a story in her head. Both Molly and Victor made good points, but of course, Molly had to go left. She probably would've gotten even nastier sex if she lawyered the shit out of Victor.

• Love 11
(edited)
10 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Andrew nasty. What a way to fly!

I love it. I think he's very, very good-looking so I enjoyed watching him get his freak on, AND he was shirtless a lot. Sue me, I'm single in quarantine. Also he has good taste in toys. Lelo ain't cheap.

3 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

Gawd, if ya listenin, send an Andrew my way, amen.

Amen indeed - can I get in on that prayer?

I also loved watching them just have fun. Y'all remember when we could go out and have fun? Hiking, zip lining (Molly was so cute when she was all triumphant at the end of the zip line), drinking, dancing, snuggling up on top of a mountain, and yes, getting their freak on.

The costume people are good at putting Molly in clothes that look great against her dark skin. I loved her in the white tank top and pants. I didn't like the coral dress style (the open back was too much for me, I'm a D-cup, I need to wear a bra), but the color was great on her.

7 hours ago, Hera said:

I actually think it's a smart move (not to mention a self-preserving one) on his part not to try to insert himself in it by defending Issa or telling Molly she was wrong—but I think he does think she's wrong. Molly's lucky she's with Andrew and not his brother, the devil's advocate, because Victor would definitely have had that argument with her. And while Victor would have been correct in that instance, he would have made the situation even worse.

Andrew is good at staying in his lane without being a pushover. He was right that whatever mental health issues that Nathan was dealing with are Nathan's business (and Issa's if he chooses to disclose them to her), and he's been supportive of Molly without coming right out and saying "You're right and Issa was wrong." And I agree - I think part of why he doesn't do that is that he doesn't think Molly is right. Victor 100% would have had that argument with Molly. Victor and Molly would last 15 minutes because he'd be "devil's advocate-ing" all over the place (which is really annoying) and she'd fight back. 

6 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Speaking of Lawrence, I'm kind of wondering if he might be moving.  We've learned his tech company is restructuring.  There are a lot of tech companies in the "Frisco" area so I was wondering if had just come back from a job interview.

This was my thought, that he'd interviewed somewhere in Silicon Valley. Which ... good for him, honestly, if his employer in LA is shaky. It's smart to be proactive. Then  when I saw the preview I wondered if he was going to tell Issa he was moving.

10 hours ago, shoetingstar said:

Issa ran from her like a job?? Issa was at her previous job for 5 years before making a change.

Yeah, that was shady as hell. I wonder if Molly didn't see Issa's nonprofit work as "real" because it's low-paying. Working with kids is hard.

I'm trying to think of how I would have handled the towel incident. Honestly, I'd probably have just gotten my room key while side-eyeing the clerk and talking shit about it to Andrew later. You have to pick your battles when it comes to microaggressions and racism and I'm not sure I'd have picked that one. (I stayed at a similar Mexican resort and I don't remember ever having to show my room key to get towels - the staff would just come by with towels. Matterfact, I remember thinking it was excessive.) I've said before that for a lawyer, Molly has horrible communication skills - she goes from 0 to 100 very quickly and often without thinking.

... So I'm glad she called her therapist and I hope she really gives it her all this time.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 10

Loved the Sister-in-Law, especially all her different versions and intonations of "Oh no!" during the Molly/Andrew's Brother fight.  

13 hours ago, DearEvette said:

So... I expected this episode to make me feel a little more in charity with Molly that I have been for the past couple of eps.  But right off the bat, she annoyed me.  When she saw Issa outside the restaurant and sat back waiting for Issa to come in like she was entitled to Issa's coming to her.  Man, I was so happy (again) that Issa turned around.

2 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Yes. And then had the nerve to brace herself by saying "here we go." Just waiting to bask in the apology.

I agree with both of these.  Her reaction also made me think that she's been showing up at the Ethiopian restaurant regularly waiting for Issa to run into her.  

13 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Molly's outfits were fierce this episode.  Yvonne Orji has a bangin' bod and wardrobe does well by her.  That bag.... I am jealous with want.

I also loved every single thing she wore this episode!

2 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

Oh, Andrew and Molly really go in. Gawd, if ya listenin, send an Andrew my way, amen.

2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Amen indeed - can I get in on that prayer?

I'm in third in line!  Everything Andrew this episode was so hot.  

tenor.gif

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Some fun things about this episode I learned on Twitter:

• That was Jay Ellis's mom who played the check-in lady at the gate.
  • Natasha Rothwell shadowed Jay when he was directing this episode. If you look at the people holding up name cards in the airport, one of the name cards is "Shadow Rothwell" in her honor.
  • Yvonne Orji did her own stunt - she really zip lined.
  • Useful 8
(edited)
5 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I love it. I think he's very, very good-looking so I enjoyed watching him get his freak on, AND he was shirtless a lot. Sue me, I'm single in quarantine. Also he has good taste in toys. Lelo ain't cheap.

I feel like they're making Andrew out to be almost perfect, and I'm here for it. On top of all his other appealing qualities, he is exceedingly patient AND has impressive taste in toys. Molly is gonna have to do a whole lot better than a feather, lol. He absolutely thinks she is wrong in the situation with Issa, but he's biting his tongue.

I was wondering what happened to Molly's therapist, so I'm glad Molly reached out to her.

Andrew's brother and sister-in-law were grating. The SIL's compliments to Molly were excessive. Those kinds of comments smack of insincerity or insecurity to me. You can give someone a nice compliment without comparing yourself negatively to them. The brother was just ridiculous. People who like to "play devil's advocate" are just being assholes who like to argue. If you disagree, either just say that or say nothing. Don't try to frame it as playing devil's advocate to make yourself look better.

I'm wondering if Andrew is really going to let go of Molly's comment about Asian people. He seemed a little less warm with her the morning after the fight.

Kim Field's cameo was great. Enjoy your new life, Mabel! She kind of reminded me of an aunt or older cousin.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm not saying that Molly was wrong. She saw the employee give towels to the people in front of her without asking for a key and then she was asked to show her key and that is clearly not the same treatment by the staff.

In her interaction with the towel girl, I think Molly was wrong.  But in his interaction with Molly, Andrew's brother was wrong.  They were both wrong for different reasons.

The way it played out, it seems like Molly escalated the situation (as @scrb mentions maybe misplaced anger at Issa?).  She came up to the towel area just as the towel lady was handing the white couple their towels.  I don't know if the show is trying to lead us to believe that Molly supposedly saw  her entire interaction with that couple or what? But on screen we don't see the beginning of towel lady's interaction with that couple, only the end. 

Even worse, as the employee tried to explain the policy Molly interrupts her and belligerently says 'Girl, if you don't just give me a towel..." 

And that is when Andrew's brother happens by.

Molly was still wrong when she tried to get Andrew's brother to co-sign on her experience 'You saw that right?'  because the white couple was long gone by the time his brother got onto the scene. 

But Andrew's brother was dead wrong in trying to make it NOT about race.  Since he wasn't there he can't say how it all went down.  He only got to the aftermath. 

It is an interesting way for the scene to play out.  You want to give Molly the benefit of the doubt, because that that shit really, really happens. I just can't say with certainty that it happened here.

11 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I am thinking this too.  I think he got an offer in San Francisco.  I wonder if his ep will take us back to after his break up with Condola so we can see what he has been grappling with to lead him to want to meet up with Issa? I mean, the last time we saw Lawrence was , what, over a month ago in show time?  And that was at Tiffany's and he was trying to speak to Issa then, but that is when she got the call about her headliner dropping out so they never finished their conversation.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, scrb said:

Even though they got champagne on Economy Plus, which doesn’t really happen.

Yes, it actually does. On American it's called Main Cabin Extra and comes with unlimited booze.

13 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I was expecting her to be called on her grudge holding and for her to reflect on it.  I didn't really think that happened.

I think it did. Though Andrew didn't directly confront her about holding grudges, he was supportive but honest in his conversations with her. That seemed to have an effect on Molly. She was definitely reflecting about her tendency to hold grudges and wanting to do better. In fact, she literally said so in her message to Dr. Rhonda.

6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

for a lawyer, Molly has horrible communication skills

As a lawyer (only saying this because it's germane to the point), I hear this all of the time and it is frustrating. It has been my personal and anecdotal experience that in personal situations, sometimes you argue logically and rationally and sometimes you argue emotionally - just like non-lawyers.

Depending on how emotional you are about the subject, how prepared you are for the argument, how much you've thought about the issue already, whether you're emotional about something else, hell any number of irrational reasons, logic may go out the window. Other times I can be ice cold and cut through the arguments like an exacto knife. I imagine it's the same for non-lawyers. People just seem surprised when a lawyer reacts emotionally.

In Molly's situation, I do think she often reacts emotionally first without thinking. But for me it's no more surprising that a lawyer would do so than anyone else.

• Love 10
12 minutes ago, talktoomuch said:

Yes, it actually does. On American it's called Main Cabin Extra and comes with unlimited booze.

"Economy Plus" is a specific brand name for just a bit more leg room, no other benefits, on United Air Lines:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/products/travel-options/economy-plus.html

Are you perhaps thinking of Premium Economy, which does come with even more space and some better food and drink options?

United calls that product Premium Plus.

I've never flown down to Mexico myself so maybe there are extra benefits for this flights, like flights to Hawaii.

In any event, I doubt they serve genuine French Champagne for free.

• Love 1
(edited)

A-ha @scrb! That explains it. I thought he was just using Economy Plus as a stand-in for any airlines' pay-more-seats. Wasn't aware it was United. I have refused to fly United since they beat down that Asian doctor, made that grandma check her giant pocketbook with her medicine in it, and killed that dog in the overhead bin all in like the space of one month shortly after I moved to Chicago.

I almost always fly American. And they have Basic Economy (no checked bag, no picking seats), Main Cabin (pick a seat and check a bag) and Main Cabin Extra (add booze and supposedly legroom).

And I always get champagne in MCE or 1C. This older black lady told me my first time in 1C that if you don't make them serve a black woman French bubbly in an overpriced plane seat that they're probably wondering how she can afford, then you're doing it all wrong and wasting everybody's time.

Edited by talktoomuch
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 3

Poor Latoya, have they even found the Toyota yet?

First and foremost, I hate, hate, HATE the idea that people who experience the hurt and pain of racism are expected to behave rationally and defend their right to be upset and annoyed.  This isn't a thesis and it's not an intellectual exercise that Molly has to approach rationally. 

So often, "devil's advocate" is just a person trying to handwave away racist behavior and make the person who experienced the racism seem crazy.  It's like a form of mansplanin'....often whitesplanin' and it doesn't matter that the person doing it is also a minority.  

Second, if homegirl with the towels was worried about losing her job she would have asked the white people for a room key.  So maybe "devil's advocate" should have thought that through. 

additionally, isn't that pool private?  How many people are there to pilfer towels?

Having said that, I'm not sure why Molly went from 0 to 100 so fast.  Someone has the room key and the pool is five steps away.  Go get the key.  

Or, have her get the manager.  The manager could check some personal details to confirm Molly is a guest and she can have the towel.  

I do think Molly stands a good chance of running Andrew off, though he seems to have a bit of the same attitude towards his sister that Molly has towards issa. 

kim fields was hilarious.  She looks so much better than when I saw her last!  

I agree with whoever said Lawrence was in SF for an interview.  Good for him, get those sweet tech bro dollars. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, scrb said:

"Economy Plus" is a specific brand name for just a bit more leg room, no other benefits, on United Air Lines:

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/products/travel-options/economy-plus.html

Are you perhaps thinking of Premium Economy, which does come with even more space and some better food and drink options?

United calls that product Premium Plus.

I've never flown down to Mexico myself so maybe there are extra benefits for this flights, like flights to Hawaii.

In any event, I doubt they serve genuine French Champagne for free.

Mexico from LA is a fairly short flight, I'm not sure the upgrade would be that exciting.  But if you're paying for it, good on getting all the advantages up front.  

"Bring me your finest diet soft drink!"

• LOL 4

Organic cheese puffs sounded good.  Whiskey too.

Blanket?  You would probably be dressed for hot weather so maybe air con would bother you.

Rarely have needed it though for short flights unless you're able to sleep easily in the day.

13 minutes ago, scrb said:

Organic cheese puffs sounded good.  Whiskey too.

Blanket?  You would probably be dressed for hot weather so maybe air con would bother you.

Rarely have needed it though for short flights unless you're able to sleep easily in the day.

I'm don't think I'm a germaphobe, but airplane blankets are generally a no for me because I don't understand the sterilization process.  I've also never found them helpful for anything.  They were too thin and small to really warm me up.  It's better just to have my own jacket or coat.  

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, scrb said:

Organic cheese puffs sounded good

Wasn't it just Pirate's Booty?

I liked the way Andrew said "that blanket." I don't really fuck with airplane blankets but if I were in "plus," I'd want all the pluses too.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
10 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Wasn't it just Pirate's Booty?

I liked the way Andrew said "that blanket." I don't really fuck with airplane blankets but if I were in "plus," I'd want all the pluses too.

One of the few times I got to use miles for business class on Air France, they served these with the champagne.

https://www.fauchon.com/fr/cheddar-crepes-320814/

I went to the store to buy some extra boxes of it.  Overpriced but what can you do.

• LOL 1
46 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Having said that, I'm not sure why Molly went from 0 to 100 so fast.  Someone has the room key and the pool is five steps away.  Go get the key.  

Or, have her get the manager.  The manager could check some personal details to confirm Molly is a guest and she can have the towel.  

I do think Molly stands a good chance of running Andrew off, though he seems to have a bit of the same attitude towards his sister that Molly has towards issa. 

As my past comments attest /cough/ I think Molly is currently starring in Searching for Hector Projector Part III: The Avoidinging. BUT I think it was unfair to judge the pool towel incident as an isolated occurrence or to respond initially to Molly's clearly being upset by telling her that she's doing The Feelings all wrong. She was upset. That's not your debate to have, dude.

I winced hard when Molly told the brother to fuck off. I wish she hadn't. But I think his lack of empathy for how that crap has a cumulative effect was really painful in its condescension. (I've snapped in my own way over ostensibly minor disability-related prejudice. That shit adds UP.) He didn't seem to respect that Molly has doubtless stayed more "in control" in countless situations before this.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, heavysnaxx said:

As my past comments attest /cough/ I think Molly is currently starring in Searching for Hector Projector Part III: The Avoidinging. BUT I think it was unfair to judge the pool towel incident as an isolated occurrence or to respond initially to Molly's clearly being upset by telling her that she's doing The Feelings all wrong. She was upset. That's not your debate to have, dude.

I winced hard when Molly told the brother to fuck off. I wish she hadn't. But I think his lack of empathy for how that crap has a cumulative effect was really painful in its condescension. (I've snapped in my own way over ostensibly minor disability-related prejudice. That shit adds UP.) He didn't seem to respect that Molly has doubtless stayed more "in control" in countless situations before this.

I agree, feelings are feelings and I don't see why they require a skilled theoretical debate when you're on vacation.  Let her be mad.  

I'm generally oblivious, but I snapped on someone at the Paper Source (a fancy so.cal spot for overpriced greeting cards and high end wrapping paper).  The woman kept following me around and if I notice something like that it's because you're being obvious.  Which I didn't appreciate.  

The fifth time she asked I was just like "listen, if I need or want your help, I will come and find you, until that time comes, stop asking and stop following me"

I just had to roll my eyes, because seriously, if I were here to steal your fancy ass paper, don't you think I'd put in more of an effort to dress up like some westside soccer mommy?  

Now, I'm sure there are a ton of people who could handwave that away and condescendingly explain to me that she was just "doing her job". But I know what I know.  

But it took like five asks before I lost my shit.  That situation with Molly seemed to escalate so fast and there weren't any other microaggresions.  But again, she felt how she felt and so trying to force her into some intellectual debate over her feelings was just ridiculous.  

• Love 5
22 minutes ago, heavysnaxx said:

I wish she hadn't said either. It's unfortunate that she said it someone so close to Andrew. On the other hand, as obnoxious as the brother was, I'm sure he's been cruisin' for a "fuck off" for many years, and he finally crossed the wrong person at the wrong time.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, RealReality said:

But it took like five asks before I lost my shit.  That situation with Molly seemed to escalate so fast and there weren't any other microaggresions.  But again, she felt how she felt and so trying to force her into some intellectual debate over her feelings was just ridiculous.  

I'm gonna take a wild guess that this was not the first time you've been pegged as the Fancy-Ass Paper Bandit, so to speak.

It's the cumulative thing. A much younger person recently told me they choose not to get angry and to have patience about the kind of prejudiced BS we both encounter after I had expressed some frustration. I wanted to (but didn't) suggest they update me on their patience levels in 30 years.

Molly's demeanor and tone with her assistant did make me think, though, about her interaction with the towel worker. I detected some notes of brusqueness-with-those-beneath-me. Which doesn't mean Molly was wrong about the towel. But I do wonder if she's always been like this or if it's new.

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, heavysnaxx said:

I'm gonna take a wild guess that this was not the first time you've been pegged as the Fancy-Ass Paper Bandit, so to speak.

It's the cumulative thing. A much younger person recently told me they choose not to get angry and to have patience about the kind of prejudiced BS we both encounter after I had expressed some frustration. I wanted to (but didn't) suggest they update me on their patience levels in 30 years.

Molly's demeanor and tone with her assistant did make me think, though, about her interaction with the towel worker. I detected some notes of brusqueness-with-those-beneath-me. Which doesn't mean Molly was wrong about the towel. But I do wonder if she's always been like this or if it's new.

LOL, I've probably been on the "usual suspects" wall at the Paper Source for years.  But I'm sincerely pretty oblivious. 

She was just VERY OBVIOUS.  Like girl, this store is not that big, if I cannot find the fancy paper I need, I will circle back and find you!  Don't make me go to papyrus!

The assistant thing was interesting.  It's like she really went the extra mile not to hold her tongue.  I've never worked in a firm, but from all I've heard, the assistants and support staff can ruin your life so you try to treat them well. 

However, I guess Molly could be on edge because things are so wrong with issa and so unresolved and issa isn't coming around to apologize and make amends as she normally does.  I think having conflict like that just puts your whole chi out of balance or whatever. 

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, mrsbagnet said:

I wish she hadn't said either. It's unfortunate that she said it someone so close to Andrew. On the other hand, as obnoxious as the brother was, I'm sure he's been cruisin' for a "fuck off" for many years, and he finally crossed the wrong person at the wrong time.

Andrew tends to keep things close to the vest, so I wonder how that conversation actually went. 

The "fuck you" was a mistake and I think the whole "Asian people are only minorities when they want to be" was also kinda harsh.  I understand where Molly was coming from, but ouch! 

Notably, Andrew said that he and his brother would talk it out and move on.  But he was clear that he had been an asshole   I'm sure he didn't direct that at Molly about issa, but it says something that he and his brother had some discussion the next day and they both know that they are too close to let this ruin their bond. 

As subtle as Andrew is, around every turn he has been gently telling Molly she was wrong about issa, IMO.  He hasn't been obnoxious, he hasn't tried to fix it, he lets her vent.  But he pointed out how she didn't know about Nathan's issues, and he steadily "mmm hmms" her when she seems to want him to agree that issa is a messy mess. 

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, talktoomuch said:

And I always get champagne in MCE or 1C. This older black lady told me my first time in 1C that if you don't make them serve a black woman French bubbly in an overpriced plane seat that they're probably wondering how she can afford, then you're doing it all wrong and wasting everybody's time.

Lol and word!  I usually buy Main Cabin Extra tickets and always order several drinks, even if it's an early morning flight to make it worth my while.   And if I happen to get a first class seat, I always accept the pre-departure drink.

On topic: Andrew certainly made Economy Plus worth Molly's while! 

2 hours ago, RealReality said:

kim fields was hilarious.  She looks so much better than when I saw her last! 

The last time I saw her was on RHoA, and this new hair is working much better for her than the blonde.  

1 hour ago, RealReality said:

Now, I'm sure there are a ton of people who could handwave that away and condescendingly explain to me that she was just "doing her job". But I know what I know.  

Don't we though?  A couple years ago, I was meeting a guy from Tinder at a bar I had never been to before, but was in my neighborhood.  It was summer and the day of the Pride parade, so I decided to walk and people watch and grabbed a small coconut water to keep my hydrated.  When I got to the place, I sat at the bar and waited. It was pretty empty and the bartender ignored me for about 10 minutes.  When she finally came over, she didn't greet me (after saying hello to every other person who had walked in during that time) and just said, "You can't have that in here," motioning to the coconut water.  I asked her why, and she said it was a Washington state law that external drinks weren't allowed in bars.  In the time I had been there, I'd watched several people walk in from the parade with drinks and none of them had been given the same directive.  I just said to her that it was basically empty, and I finished it and handed it to her.  She didn't ask me if I wanted anything nor waited for me to place an order before she turned her back on me.  I watched as she took everyone else's drink orders and continued to ignore me.  I finally managed to catch her attention as she walked past and got a water.  The guy I was meeting, showed up about 5 minutes later.  He asked if I wanted a drink and I told him I refused to spend my money in this place and if he would like something, I'd gladly wait for him to have one.  He asked me why and when I told him he goes, "well shit!  Fuck this place; let's go!"  He didn't question it at all and that earned him a second date.  I have had people tell me in similar situations that maybe I misinterpreted what happened or that the person was just doing that jobs, and it pisses me off, especially when I'm already expected to just take shit like that all the time and if I get upset, then I'm an angry black lady.  So I felt Molly during that entire scene.  And when the BIL started with his devil's advocate bullshit?  Nah, he doesn't get to invalidate her experience.   

25 minutes ago, heavysnaxx said:

I forgot about the way she talked to the assistant.  It wasn't cool at all, and if she keeps it up, her assistant will end up screwing her over.  But she didn't start out with a brusque or condescending tone with towel lady.  She got there quickly, but she didn't initially talk down to her.  

• Love 11

I interpreted that very differently, Molly expends all her "points" on restraining her temper at work and has none left for IRL. Should Molly have been nicer? Yes. But it is very common in that kind of high-pace, high-stress job for prioritize your limited bandwidth for client-facing activities. Her assistant 100% set her up to look like a total idiot in front of people being charged hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars an hour for her alleged "expertise" on a brief she didn't even know about until the night before. So when she's outside of work, she's on a hair trigger from restraining herself all the time. 

Andrew seems to really get Molly and helps her grow in a very non-confrontational way. But I honestly don't know how she makes him better? Meeting the family seems like a big step, yet they hardly seem to know each other. It seems like all they've been doing is having sex yet they still don't know what the other person prefers? Molly being proud of her little panty set felt too cheesy. I can't imagine that Dro the Polyamorous Lothario wouldn't have taught her some tricks.

I would not stay in a relationship with someone that cussed out my brother, insulted my race, and dragged my bestie with mental health issues because of her confidence that she is Always Right. That she felt comfortable sitting there and acting like Nathan was trash on her shoe when she knows he is living at Andrew's house and is one of his best friends...who does that?!

The towel thing was a classic microaggression and the employee started blinking furiously and loudly stating "I don't know what you are trying to say" when Molly called her out. She could have just said "yes I did ask for the card," but she didn't...because she had not. They got the acting for that scene down pat, I was clenching my teeth because I've experienced it so many times. 

I bet Lawrence found a job in a different part of CA. He'll be officially "exiting" Issa's social orbit and wants to say his final goodbyes.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, luckyroll3 said:

I forgot about the way she talked to the assistant.  It wasn't cool at all, and if she keeps it up, her assistant will end up screwing her over.  But she didn't start out with a brusque or condescending tone with towel lady.  She got there quickly, but she didn't initially talk down to her.  

I was just kind of thinking that there was another power dynamic at play, the class one, and how Molly's roughness with her admin assistant set me up to recognize it with the towel woman.  Molly - again, not to negate the racial stuff - was also the wealthier, more powerful person compared to a service staff-person in a resort. It's just that kind of emotional complexity that makes being the member of a marginalized community such a rich pageant of experience!

Also: SO right about the importance of respectful relationships with staff who support you. Aside from it being the right thing to do, you can't be good at your job without their labor. If nothing else, people will stop going that extra mile for you. Molly's just not great at being real and direct without being overly harsh.

Edited by heavysnaxx
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, heavysnaxx said:

I liken it to death by a thousand cuts.  Each item seems small then one takes you over the edge.  There is a such a push back for the injured party to be perfectly calm and rational in all situations that it becomes overwhelming.  Sometimes people snap.

It was hard in the Molly situation since we didn't see the towel person ask the white people for their key card.  However, when asked she didn't either say she had or say that was their third set of towels for the day and she remembered them from earlier. I understood what Molly was seeing. I suspect she read the situation correctly. 

Andrew's brother can fuck off with his devil's advocate stance.  I have never known someone to play devil's advocate who didn't at least halfway believe the BS they were slinging.  Invalidating her experience only made it worse. 

It does seem like Andrew is starting to look at her differently.  The honeymoon phase is over. He seems to be more carefully assessing whether they work as a couple. I was happy that Molly called her therapist.  It seems she is starting to see that she is part of the problem. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, rozen said:

I would not stay in a relationship with someone that cussed out my brother, insulted my race, and dragged my bestie with mental health issues because of her confidence that she is Always Right. That she felt comfortable sitting there and acting like Nathan was trash on her shoe when she knows he is living at Andrew's house and is one of his best friends...who does that?!

It would be bad enough that someone you are dating had done those things, but Molly did them all in the space of a day or two. As bad as the first two are (and they are both pretty big deals), the fact that she deliberately insulted Andrew's best friend just so she could have a roundabout way of insulting Issa yet again was REALLY bad because that was much of calculating.

She knew exactly what she was doing when she decided to talk shit about his friend and roommate. I'm not excusing the other two incidents mentioned, but Molly was heated in the pool and sometimes you blurt things out the moment. I know there is always some truth in what you say in anger when your filter is off but in contrast, she knew what she was doing when she decided to talk shit about Nathan. I had a friend who did that repeatedly just to see how people would react. I was like hey, you know I'm friends with this other person. If you have a problem with him, then you two need to talk about it but don't just talk shit about him to me for the sake of talking shit.

55 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Andrew's brother can fuck off with his devil's advocate stance.  I have never known someone to play devil's advocate who didn't at least halfway believe the BS they were slinging.  Invalidating her experience only made it worse. 

I had a relative who was a total shit stirrer. She never went full devil's advocate but she would say or ask things just to start fights or get people upset. I can't stand drama queens like that. But I agree that Andrew's brother seemed less about genuinely trying to see another person's point of view and more about invalidating Molly's feelings and experience.

• Love 2

The devil don't need advocates, Andrew's brother.

I'm still not really here for Molly -- agree 100% about the opening scene in the restaurant showing her off as a petty hypocrite -- so I spent the episode grudging every gorgeous view and amazing experience she had.

And yet, I remained ready to go off on the towel woman. I too am an attorney, a discrimination attorney at that, and the towel woman would've had to pay.

Nathan and Issa seem to have a real connection.  I washed my hands of her love life a long time ago because I could tell the show was going wherever they want when they wanna go there, so I just hope she ends up happy.

I've been asking after pretty much every episode where Molly's therapist is, so I'm glad she finally made that call. If you can't be happy with yourself in paradise, then you do have some things to work out.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Lois Sandborne said:

I've been asking after pretty much every episode where Molly's therapist is, so I'm glad she finally made that call. If you can't be happy with yourself in paradise, then you do have some things to work out.

I was thinking about this yesterday.  Everyone thinks Molly is winning, and I'm wildly annoyed because no one is holding her to account for her shitty behavior at issas block party and that feels like a Molly win to me. 

But, when I think about it, is Molly really winning?  She is on a beautiful vacation with a gorgeous man who is really good to her.  And she managed to be miserable and probably alienate a guy who is good to her.  

How sad that issa, back home and broke in LA sounds like she is having a good time and Molly is miserable and rich in Mexico. 

She and andrew JUST decided to be serious, they should be in the honeymoon phase. 

Instead he has heard her publicly and angrily yell at issa in public, curse out his brother on public and take a dump all over his best friend.  The sex must be fantastic if he isn't running for the nearest exit. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 10

I was on Molly's side with the whole towel debate, or at least that Andrews brother was acting like an asshole trying to invalidate her experience, but she lost me with the "You people only want to be people of color when its convenient for you" comment, that was a seriously low blow, and was also dragging Andrew (and for his race!), even though he was on her side. Molly wasn't wrong to be upset about what was more than likely a race based microaggression, and Andrews brother was being an idiot and a dick about it, but lashing out with a really race based comment like that was uncalled for, especially as it seemed to invalidate what I am sure microaggressions that Andrew has faced, ironically doing something similar to what Andrews brother did! Then the "your different" thing seemed to really upset him, even if he didn't make a big deal about it. I cant blame her for getting mad (as others have said far more eloquently, if you are so often dealing with these little slights, they start to hurt more and more until your gushing blood) but she lost me a few times there. I dont even think she was overreacting terribly to be mad, but dont drag Andrew into this! 

Of course, some of that might be because I am annoyed with Molly in general. So while I totally get Molly being pissed about Andrews brother and the towel thing, I am so not anywhere near her side with her fight with Issa. As much as she accuses Issa of being "messy" it seems like she is the one soaking up the drama and trying to drag other people into it. What was that "run from me like a job" shit? Issa has had a job for ages, and just because it didn't make much money, doesn't make it not hard work! And she literally just ran a huge ass block party that was a ton of work and a big success! I continue to think that Molly just likes the idea that she is the friend who has it together and Issa is the one that is struggling, and she is uncomfortable with the idea that they could be more on the same level. Her sitting at the bar looking at Issa, clearly waiting for Issa to show up to start groveling for forgiveness, really said it all. She still thinks that Issa "betrayed" her and that Issa is so messy (I feel like she said it like five times) and that this is all Issas fault, but is lacking the self awareness to understand that some of this (I would say most of it IMO) is her fault. In fact, even when she is on a fancy vacation with a basically perfect man seemingly living her best life, her bringing Issa up to drag her over and over makes HER look like the messy one who is trying to drag everyone into her drama. 

Honestly, looking at Issa and Molly in their solo episodes one right after the other, I think that Issa showed a lot more maturity and self awareness than Molly did this week. Yeah Issa ran into hijinks in her well meant but poorly thought out attempts at being selfless and getting out there, but she was really ruminating on what Molly said and wondered if she really was selfish, and tried to do good things to "correct" what she was worried were faults, but ended up going back to work to start on her next project and stop worrying so much in a pretty mature way, and notably didn't spend the whole episode shit talking Molly. Meanwhile, Molly shows no sell awareness about what her part in this fight could be, spends all of this time trash talking Issa like some high school mean girl, and doesn't even think about taking the initiative to reach out to her, assuming that Issa will show up to beg her forgiveness because, of course, Molly could never have to apologize!

Andrew is such a great guy, look at his thoughtful gifts! I definitely got the vibe that Andrew thinks that Molly is in the wrong in her fight with Molly, or at least that Molly isn't as blameless as she thinks she is, and that he is just barley not saying anything. Probably a good call, both out of self preservation and not wanting to get involved in a fight between them, but I definitely thought those "Mmmmmmmm" sounds sounded like he was trying not to say anything, but that he disagreed with her, just that Molly is so full of self ritiousness, she reads them as "yes dear your totally right" instead of "I dont wanna start a fight but..." I also thought her dragging Nathan to drag Issa to Andrew was a really crappy thing to do, and puts him in a crappy position. Of course he doesn't want to fight with his girlfriend, but he wouldn't want to sit there and let her act like one of his best friends is trash. She knows that he and Nathan are friends, so talking crap about him just seemed like such a shitty, petty thing to do, and that time she didn't even have anger as an excuse like at the pool. That was calculated crappiness. 

At least she finally called her therapist and seemed to realize that she is in a bad place, finally showing some of the long lost self awareness, and hopefully this will be the start of her getting over herself and making things right with Issa. 

Whoever did the costuming was doing a bang up job, Molly looked amazing in every outfit! It was also fun to get out of LA for a bit, its nice to get a change of scenery. So then Andrew and Molly bump into Lawrence, and I agree with others that he might have taken a tech job out there, and good for him! I will miss him being around, but that would be a good career move for him. 

• Love 7

Andrew's brother was annoying when he first appeared on screen, and I saw something like this coming. I did not mind the sister-in-law but did feel she was trying too hard not to make Molly feel "different" as the only non-Chinese person in their little group. The over compensation became annoying.

As for the towel incident, I think we really don't know if the couple before Molly was asked to show a key or not. I agree that noone has the right to tell Molly how to feel about what she perceived to be racist. I also think her feelings are valid because they are hers but have no idea on what really went down and think that having that be vague was a conscious choice of the show. (Can we side-eye the dude swimming like fire was on his back that caused the water to get in the sister-in-law's eye in the first place?)

I also agree that "devil's advocate" folks are passive aggressive (often in denial) shit starters. I don't debate with "devil's advocate" people. 

I would have left the whole "You people" observation and phrase out, as well as "He (Andrew) is different." Because that never comes off well. No matter who says it. I find it interesting that the sister-in-law said something to the effect that "they are always trying to divide us." Lots of different perspectives arose from that incident.

Where I will come out firmly and say Molly was trying to start some shit of her own was when she was bad talking Nathan with Andrew. And what would she have thought of Andrew if he would have joined in. That would to me have made Andrew a lot less attractive. And the comment about Issa ran from her like she was a job was not a good look on Molly.

I see a lot of mental health issues in Insecure's future. Molly, Nathan, Tiffany, and possibly even Andrew;s sister (who sounds like she is a mess too). As a black woman with a lifelong battle with depression and a Chinese close friend who also has dealt with the same, I am here for it. (I admit that I may be reading a lot into the discreet mentions of Andrew's sister.)

If Lawrence is leaving the show, I will miss the character and the actor. With all of Lawrence's flaws, I think he showcases the male perspective of being insecure well. 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, rozen said:

The towel thing was a classic microaggression and the employee started blinking furiously and loudly stating "I don't know what you are trying to say" when Molly called her out. She could have just said "yes I did ask for the card," but she didn't...because she had not. They got the acting for that scene down pat, I was clenching my teeth because I've experienced it so many times. 

They really did.  When I watched the scene the first time, I couldn't remember what Molly saw but I did think she didn't give the towel person a chance to respond.

I went back to rewatch and I am still confused as to how much Molly saw as it looks like she's walking up at the same time the other people are getting their towel. (So someone's observation upthread about that was right).  But there was definitely time for the towel person to say "Oh Doug and Judy?  No I stopped asking them ten times ago."  Instead she went defensive and "lady, you gotta calm down" immediately. 

But it was also an interesting observation about how Molly treats people she has power over.  Her assistant screwed up but "I don't pay you to make me look stupid" was harsher than necessary.

4 minutes ago, Enigma X said:

If Lawrence is leaving the show, I will miss the character and the actor. With all of Lawrence's flaws, I think he showcases the male perspective of being insecure well. 

This is a good point. 

• Love 3

Molly's "run from me like a job" comment was truly terrible.  As many have said, Issa was at her job for 5 years.  Since then she has been hustling to keep money coming in - managing the apartment complex, driving for Uber, . . . . all while pursuing what she really wants to do.  She is working very hard. 

I work a tough. job with often long hours for good pay.  I do not work anywhere near as hard as my friends who have to piece together multiple small jobs to make ends meet.  I also know that my paycheck will hit the bank twice a month as planned.  They do not have that assurance.  Molly needs to take a step back and realize that hard work does not equal a high status job.  Molly too works hard but not in the way that Issa does and with the added level of stress of trying to make ends meet. Also, I wonder how traditional Andrew's job is and what he did to get a level of success?  I sense Andrew's career path aligns more with Issa than with Molly. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Enigma X said:

I like Lawrence and all, but I am more concerned about the status of Chad if Lawrence leaves the show.  I love me some Chad and they better find a way to keep him around. 

source.gif

• LOL 7
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Enigma X said:

Same here. I realize that Lawrence is not popular with a lot of the internet fandom, but I really like him and wouldn't mind if the long-term plan was for him and Issa to be together, even if it would be more realistic for them to go their separate ways. It helps that Jay Ellis is easy on the eyes. Then again, so is Kendrick Sampson (Nathan), so really, I should just trust that whoever casts the male love interests on this show will continue to have similar taste in hot men to me.

2 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Also, I wonder how traditional Andrew's job is and what he did to get a level of success?  I sense Andrew's career path aligns more with Issa than with Molly. 

I agree with this. I think Andrew tried to convey to Molly how much worked Issa had to put into the block party—probably because he's previously been involved in the organization of these kinds of events in one capacity or another—but I'm not sure she fully got it.

One thing I wish we had seen him say (maybe it's coming) is that the hook-up he provided Issa was mutually beneficial: she got a headliner for the block party, the artist was glad to have been part of the event, and Andrew looked like the hero for connecting the two and probably drew business for his company. Molly doesn't have the right to tell Andrew that he can't work with someone because of her personal issues with that person—it's not like she's giving him veto power over the clients she represents (nor should she).

16 hours ago, rozen said:

Andrew seems to really get Molly and helps her grow in a very non-confrontational way. But I honestly don't know how she makes him better?

Yeah, I don't either and wonder if they're heading for a break-up that, for once, Molly doesn't initiate.

• Love 8
(edited)
17 hours ago, rozen said:

I interpreted that very differently, Molly expends all her "points" on restraining her temper at work and has none left for IRL. Should Molly have been nicer? Yes. But it is very common in that kind of high-pace, high-stress job for prioritize your limited bandwidth for client-facing activities. Her assistant 100% set her up to look like a total idiot in front of people being charged hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars an hour for her alleged "expertise" on a brief she didn't even know about until the night before. So when she's outside of work, she's on a hair trigger from restraining herself all the time. 

This is so interesting - I see Molly as not being good at maintaining work relationships or picking her battles. She alienates colleagues at all levels and then struggles to do damage control. If she's really needing all of her emotional resources to simply not blow up at clients, she seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Yes, she's in a stressful job but a fair amount of the stress specific to her is the result of her own behavior. All a snotty, "I don't pay you to make me look stupid," gets is an assistant who's thinking, "No shit, that's what the firm's paying you to do right now."

For whatever reasons, I just didn't have a lot of sympathy for her in that scene. Maybe because it was like The Molly Who Cried Judgemental. This was probably the time when she was right-on in calling out a wrong but I felt like she'd squandered her supply already.

This was the episode when I really starting seeing Molly as someone who chose to be a lawyer but doesn't really like it in any deep way. It appeals to her comfort with rules and accountability (ha!), addresses an understandable desire for external status, and compensates her with a comfortable lifestyle that's the reward for doing what you're supposed to do.

I've met a lot of Mollys! My gut says that a big part of her anger at Issa has to do with her beginning to feel how unfulfilling her career is to her. (Which makes her prone to losing her temper, etc.) Or at least way less creative/fun than what Issa's doing. She's watching Issa and feeling like Issa's being rewarded for fucking up her job, i.e., not following the rules. Whereas she, Molly, has been toiling away - like a REAL adult! - and suddenly her role as The Successful One doesn't feel so successful.

I'm guessing that at some point Molly's going to say something shitty to Andrew about the area of work Issa's pursuing. He's going to point out that his work is more similar to Issa's than Molly's, she'll dig the hole deeper, and...we'll see how chill Andrew is about that.

Edited by heavysnaxx
  • Love 6