Type keyword(s) to search

Outer Banks - General Discussion

Artsda
  • Start Topic

I was really hoping that Rafe or Wade would have died, but alas they are alive to torment the crew next season. They continued to make the dumbest decisions anyone has ever seen on TV, but I continued to watch. Was it because of the pretty people and scenery? Possibly. 

• Love 4

As much as Rafe has really become the true villian and someone you do want to just throttle Drew Starkey acted his damn ass off this season and the way he portrayed Rafe as a kid showing signs of psychosis (especially that scene of him telling his Dad that he isnt okay, he hears voices in his head, telling him to do bad things and all).

He really became the most interesting character, no matter how much you just want to slap him around....though I can totally see Rafe killing Ward next season.

I also thinknthey are setting up Kie/JJ, which I am cool with. They do seem to have more chemistry and just work off each other much better then Kie/Pope.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Yea, the Rafe actor is actually quite good and I like where they're going with him. I'd love to see Rafe kill Ward. But I'll take literally anyone killing Ward. He's so played out.

8 hours ago, Cheetara1986 said:

I also thinknthey are setting up Kie/JJ, which I am cool with. 

Yea, the scenes with them in the cargo ship thing were obviously setting them up. I also assume they're going to go with Pope/Cleo.

• Love 2
On 8/16/2021 at 11:00 PM, twoods said:

Was it because of the pretty people and scenery? Possibly. 

Pretty people and scenery!  That's the only reason to watch both this and Virgin River😉

Another thought I just had - I am really glad that I don't have smellevision.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1

Rafe quickly transformed from a dumb, entitled kid on drugs to a criminal mastermind. 

I agree that he's one of the better actors on the show, but he does the thing where he doesn't close his mouth for a long time to show rage and I can't unsee it. He will need to develop different faces of rage as an actor. 

Ward just needs to die because he drags the show down. 

I finally saw the last episode of Season 2 tonight and I realized we're back where we were at the end of Season 1. But that makes sense since the show wouldn't have a reason to exist if they got all the treasures that they wanted. 

I look forward to Season 3. 

This show is so ridiculously awful. I can't stop watching it, for now. Maybe two more seasons before I lose interest. 

Edited by amsel
  • Love 3
On 8/26/2021 at 8:27 AM, amsel said:

Ward just needs to die because he drags the show down. 

Unfortunately I think we're stuck with Ward. Charles Esten is pretty much the only cast member who was a "name" going into the premiere of the show and I imagine he leveraged his Nashville fame into a pretty good contract. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, gryphon said:

Started season 2–I’m very distracted by John B’s dirty shirt.  Change your clothes, dude!

I found it distracting too but at the same time a real attention to detail that I didn't expect from this show lol. I mean Sarah and John B had no other clothes and were running around Nassau for days never showering. They made them look like that.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 9/27/2021 at 2:28 AM, gryphon said:

Started season 2–I’m very distracted by John B’s dirty shirt.  Change your clothes, dude!

I was amused that he was still wearing Topper’s shirt from when they switched clothes in the church at the end of Season 1. I wish we got a scene of John B trying to give Topper back the shirt when it was all gross.

• Love 2
On 9/27/2021 at 8:48 AM, peachmangosteen said:

attention to detail that I didn't expect from this show lol. I mean Sarah and John B had no other clothes and were running around Nassau for days never showering. They made them look like that.

Very true, I didn’t think of it that way! It _looked_ like it smelled bad.

• Love 2

I am also so sick and tired of Rafe and Ward. Definitely need them to both die slow and painful deaths in season 3. On another note, glad Big John B is alive! That was a real surprise. Yes, I think they are setting up JJ/Kie and Pope/Cleo for next season. This has been a fun show, but hate that the Pogues keep getting screwed over by the Camerons, who stole the gold and then that cross from them. The Pogues definitely need a win. Hope Pope gets his family's treasure back, and JJ gets his wish to just surf the waves all day after this is all said and done.

Edited by Mattipoo
Typo
  • Love 4
(edited)

I'm near the end of the first season. Sarah's family is so horrible except her little sister. Ward and Rafe need to die slowly and painfully. Rose really sucks as well. To be shallow, Kie and Sarah sure are Purty lol. JJ and Pope were hilarious at times and I feel so bad for JJ having that abusive Alcholic piece of shit for a Dad.

Edited by Josh371982
  • Love 3

I finished S1 and just started S2 and while the show can definitely get ridiculous and it requires a lot of suspension of disbelief, it's a fun, bingeworthy watch. The actors all could easily pass for Abercrombie models and Ward and Rafe are the perfect slimy villains.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
On 4/20/2022 at 10:11 PM, overtherainbow said:

I finished S1 and just started S2 and while the show can definitely get ridiculous and it requires a lot of suspension of disbelief, it's a fun, bingeworthy watch. The actors all could easily pass for Abercrombie models and Ward and Rafe are the perfect slimy villains.

The reason this show works is because the actors are really good actors who just fully commit to the batshit ridiculous stuff.

It's rare to watch a t.v show where pretty much everyone is really good, especially teen shows. Like I can't really call anybody a dead weight in terms of acting. Nobody's stiff, nobody's awkward. Even Topper, who in most teen t.v. shows would be played by an awful Ken Doll who can't act, is actually pretty good. Of course, he probably has the most experience of the "teen cast" as a Former Disney Boy.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

The reason this show works is because the actors are really good actors who just fully commit to the batshit ridiculous stuff.

It's rare to watch a t.v show where pretty much everyone is really good, especially teen shows. Like I can't really call anybody a dead weight in terms of acting. Nobody's stiff, nobody's awkward. Even Topper, who in most teen t.v. shows would be played by an awful Ken Doll who can't act, is actually pretty good. Of course, he probably has the most experience of the "teen cast" as a Former Disney Boy.

Yes! The acting is superb.

I also love how timeless it is with barely any cell phone usage with plagues so many teen and adult shows

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 5/5/2022 at 7:04 PM, overtherainbow said:

Yes! The acting is superb.

Even the side characters are really good. Like Kiara's mom throwing her out? Totally riveting scene.

On 4/8/2022 at 1:41 AM, Josh371982 said:

I'm near the end of the first season. Sarah's family is so horrible except her little sister. Ward and Rafe need to die slowly and painfully. Rose really sucks as well.

I think Rose is the quintessential Evil Step Mom. LOL

• Love 2
On 5/5/2022 at 7:04 PM, overtherainbow said:

I also love how timeless it is with barely any cell phone usage with plagues so many teen and adult shows

I'm near the end of season 1, and this has actually been driving me crazy, I kind of wish they set it in the 90's or something, because I feel like 90% of the plot would be resolved if someone shot a quick text. I nearly lost it when the dude jumped on his bike to flag down a cop after trapping John B in his laundry room. My dude, call the cops and give them your address, they'll radio it in. 

I can’t believe I’m watching this. It’s one of the worst Netflix Originals ever made. The characters are all stupid and lucky.  Every episode is full of dumb mistakes but no one every gets caught for long or seriously hurt. Those looks between John B and Sarah are too much.  They spend ten minutes of every episode staring at each other.  And the gold! Can’t they just forget about it and get on with their lives?  Tell me why I plan to watch season 3 because I don’t know how I can stand this train wreck.  

• Applause 1

I'm shocked to learn that Chip Esten is at least 6 feet tall. I really thought he was short this entire time but then I saw this photo of him with Drew Starkey and his real dad and realized that he's actually tall. Maybe I subconsciously thought he was short because I also picked up on his resemblance to Zac Efron. LOL (Well, pre-plastic surgery Zac Efron, in anyway. Like Chip Esten is a haunting reminder of what Zac Efron might have looked like as a 50-something guy had he not messed with his face so much.)

Anyway, Madelyn Cline paying tribute to Peggy from Mad Men in an interview with W.

I really am optimistic that she and Chase can be adults and work together despite breaking up. I do get a really good vibe from that entire cast- they really do seem to gel together well and like each other.

Of course, their show was launched during the pandemic lockdowns so they pretty much all had to spend every day together and couldn't go off and start their own entourages. Definitely a weird way to enter into fame.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Like 1

Outer Banks Season 3     February 23, 2023     Netflix    10 episodes

Outer-Banks-3.jpg

“After losing the gold and fleeing the Outer Banks, Season 3 finds the Pogues washed ashore on a desert island that, for a brief moment, seems like an idyllic home. Officially deemed ‘Poguelandia,’ the island’s newest residents spend their days fishing, swimming, and reveling in the carefree lifestyle of their temporary dwelling. But things quickly go south for John B, Sarah, Kiara, Pope, JJ, and Cleo when they find themselves once again caught up in a race for the treasure, quite literally running for their lives.”

• Useful 4

I just watched the first 8 minutes of Season 3 that they posted on Instagram. I can’t get enough of this ridiculous show. I love it.

On 2/4/2023 at 10:14 PM, Artsda said:

Everyone in this article acts like they are doing Shakespeare or some Oscar winning movie! It’s important to be professional about your work, but it’s still a show about treasure hunting teenagers who live at the beach.

• Like 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Jeddah said:

Everyone in this article acts like they are doing Shakespeare or some Oscar winning movie! It’s important to be professional about your work, but it’s still a show about treasure hunting teenagers who live at the beach.

That's my favorite thing lol! I will never forget when they did an interview and the interviewer compared the show to Dawson's Creek and every single one of them was so affronted. They really think they're hot shit and it's absolutely hilarious.

• LOL 6
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

That's my favorite thing lol! I will never forget when they did an interview and the interviewer compared the show to Dawson's Creek and every single one of them was so affronted. They really think they're hot shit and it's absolutely hilarious.

I think this is the moment you're talking about. 

The fact that they think this is a real show and treat it like it is and bring their A-game is why this show is so good. Talk about spinning crap into gold.

There was a similar moment where they liked being compared to the Goonies but dismissed being compared to the OC, with the actress playing Kie likening it more to the Goonies and Ozarks. You know, an Emmy winning t.v, show.

Honey, you know how many times I wanted to say "Welcome to the OBX, bitch! That's how it's done in the Outer Banks!"? This is basically the OC but with a much, much better actress in the Marissa Cooper role.

I will say that this is one of the best uniformly good casts I've seen especially in the "teen" drama category. Nobody is a dead weight and everyone gets a chance to shine.

• Like 3
On 2/20/2023 at 10:37 AM, Jeddah said:

I just watched the first 8 minutes of Season 3 that they posted on Instagram. I can’t get enough of this ridiculous show. I love it.

I'd forgotten how histrionic and over the top the kids are. And JJ...how is anyone that thinks and does that much stupid stuff still alive?

• Like 4

This show is a guilty pleasure for me.  I'm about halfway through and will probably finish it this weekend. 

And because I know it annoys the cast, I'll make a Dawson's Creek comparison.....

I am glad that Pope is the anti-Dawson when it comes to JJ and Kie.  Pope doesn't like seeing that there is something there, but tells JJ he won't stop them and he should do what he wants.  I was pleasantly surprised by that.  

As for John B's dad, he should have stayed dead.  

• Like 5

I wanted to watch this series since I’m in NC.  (I realize it’s now filmed in SC.) I sort skipped through most of Season 1 & 2, and pushed through most of season 3. Lol. It is a crazy show.  I did like it though.  It was nice to see Deacon from Nashville.  Do you think he’s dead?  Lol

Finished it this afternoon.   

For the kids who have parents....they are the worst.  Mom and Dad....we found out the cross worth millions that people have already tried to kill us for, so we gotta go try to get it back.   Well okay....be safe while committing felonies.  

And then when Big John is kidnapped....explaining that you have to go and rescue him and look for the big treasure.   Oh yeah, Big John was kidnapped by the guy who also kidnapped us, chased us, killed a man in front of us, etc.  Pope's parents relented.   Hey at least Kie's parents said hell no....and sent her off kicking and screaming to wilderness camp.  

I think it would be more realistic if the kids kept sneaking out and going on these adventures and the parents finding out after the fact and been super pissed.   

There is so much more gold there that is buried under the rubble.   So disappointing.  

John B is back to being an orphan.  And now Sarah is being raised by who??? Can her mom and sis now come out of hiding since Daddio is actually dead.  If they didn't find all that gold then John B and JJ would both have nowhere to live.  I swear by the end of the series all of the kids will be orphans and just living in the streets.  

Oh this show.   It's so dumb and silly.  But that's why it's a guilty pleasure.   Will I watch season 4?  You betcha.  

• Like 3
On 2/26/2023 at 5:01 PM, shelley1234 said:

John B is back to being an orphan.  And now Sarah is being raised by who??? Can her mom and sis now come out of hiding since Daddio is actually dead.  If they didn't find all that gold then John B and JJ would both have nowhere to live.  I swear by the end of the series all of the kids will be orphans and just living in the streets.  

The problem is that John B is so clearly 30, that the biggest stretch for this already bonkers show, is the idea that CPS is concerned whether or not he has a legal guardian. 

• LOL 5
23 minutes ago, absnow54 said:

The problem is that John B is so clearly 30, that the biggest stretch for this already bonkers show, is the idea that CPS is concerned whether or not he has a legal guardian. 

I grew up with Gabrielle Carteris on 90210, so I'm been primed to wave away that obvious plot hole issue.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 6

At what point in the sequence "We found the diary!"

Spoiler

"We lost the diary!" "We got the diary back!" "Rain ruined the diary!" "Someone got to the back-up diary moments before we did!" "We stole the back-up diary from the people who stole it before we could steal it!" do you think "Hey, let's go somewhere that has a copy machine and make like 5 or six copies of this thing?"

(Treating as a spoiler in case someone hasn't made it to Episode 3 of Season3 yet.)

• LOL 3

I love this ridiculous, bonkers show. It's so much fun. I like that all the characters got a chance to shine this season. I wish we had a little more time with them on the island.

Big John was annoying. I'm glad he and Ward are gone. The daddy issues for both John B and Sarah were getting tiring.

Was that the end of Carla? She wanted a shroud so they gave her a fake shroud and she was magically able to walk again? So it was all in her head?

Topper cracked me up during the train heist episode. "Sarah, I don't understand why you're doing this, you come from a good family!" and "I have to get out of here, my grandpa is a judge!" I also laughed at JJ telling him the cops wouldn't believe a guy in flip flops would rob a train.

Rafe melting down the cross was cold.

It bothered me every time JJ and John B would say "we have to get to South America." Ok where in SA, it's a big continent! Are we talking Brazil, Peru, Argentina? Those are all different countries. You can't just show up in a random spot in South America. Eventually yes, it was narrowed down to where they actually needed to be, but damn. And of course, Barracuda Mike has planes that go to that exact spot. And of course, JJ and Kie get there separately but they all magically find each other.

On 3/2/2023 at 10:29 AM, absnow54 said:

Given that the last episode had an 18 month time jump, they all should be over 18 at this point so CPS wouldn't get involved. John B mentioned that he and Sarah owned a surf shop and JJ got a charter boat. Pope was going to college. I assume after they made it back from Venezuela they told whoever exactly where to find the gold. Maybe there was an excavation done. And I guess now they're just full on treasure hunters?? People are coming to them with pirate journals. Blackbeard?! I love it 😂 Basically the first three seasons were just a prequel to how the Pogues became the worlds best at finding lost treasure. 

The show is ridiculous but it's fun to watch. I'd much rather watch this than something depressing. And it's really popular (according to Netflix, it was viewed more than 154 million hours in the first 4 days of season 3's release) so they're going to keep it going as long as they can. I think the creator said they have a 5 season plan. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1