Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E20: A Needle In The Heart

• Start Topic

Thinking this may be the de facto finale, as it is the last episode in the database. To air on April 15, 2020:

Dr. Crockett is visited by two New Orleans detectives who have questions about his past. Dr. Choi puts his life in danger to save a child. Dr. Charles gives fatherly advice to his young daughter.

Did another show have the 'bone marrow transplant DNA transfer' plot at some point?  It sounds vaguely familiar.  At least they didn't go with the worn out 'yes, I killed a man years ago but it was justified because he was a bad person blah blah blah...' story.

I hoped the Choi/April romance was over for a while, but now I don't know. Sigh.

• Love 2

I liked Natalie going all out for Crockett.  I just wish she didn't tell him that his friend told her about his baby dying. I hope she respects his wishes and doesn't tell the hospital rumor mill. Ethan and April and their doe eyes ......ugh!

Edited by spunky
  • Love 2

Pretty lame as a season finale, but it wasn't written as one, so can't really fault them.  Having the Crockett murder thing carry over until next season could have been an easy fix, but that was kind of dumb anyway. Meh.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, BooksRule said:

Did another show have the 'bone marrow transplant DNA transfer' plot at some point?  It sounds vaguely familiar.

I know I've seen it before, but can't remember what show; maybe one of the L&O variations. Google was no help. But nothing on this show is remotely original, so rest assured this plot was recycled.

Good to see Dr. Latham again!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, BooksRule said:

Did another show have the 'bone marrow transplant DNA transfer' plot at some point?  It sounds vaguely familiar.  At least they didn't go with the worn out 'yes, I killed a man years ago but it was justified because he was a bad person blah blah blah...' story.

It's be done over and over. Last I can recall are The Good Doctor, The Resident, and I think Magnum P. I. (the new one), although I really don't remember any details.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Broderbits said:

Good to see Dr. Latham again!

I'm hoping he stays, and I guess Nataloon will be a candidate for Chicago P.D. for her fine detective work tonight.

Also, how did Halstead's girlfriend get a call from the junkie if he had her cellphone? I'm thinking she has already slipped back to the drug scene.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2

I’m glad Crockett didn’t get hauled away ‘cause I love me some Crockett, but it seemed ridiculous that the NO cops would just leave like that based on Nat’s say-so.

OMG, that man’s reaction to the antibiotic was awful. So his skin was damaged as if he had been burned?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, preeya said:

I'm hoping he stays, and I guess Nataloon will be a candidate for Chicago P.D. for her fine detective work tonight.

Also, how did Halstead's girlfriend get a call from the junkie if he had her cellphone? I'm thinking she has already slipped back to the drug scene.

She anticipated that Halstead would ask her about the phone and preempted it by saying "a friend" had received the call and told her about it.  Yeah right.  Prediction 1: She has relapsed/relapses.

Of course Choi saved the day in yet another (as said above) TV doctor/firefighter/cop trope (under fire/held hostage in a bodega).  Prediction 2: I don't think we need to speculate too long as to whether he and America's Next Top Model will be back together.

And of course Natalie cleared Menendez's name.  Prediction 3:  The next episode, whenever it is, will open with either them, or Choi and April waking up in bed together.

Prediction 4: whichever couple it is, the woman will be wearing perfectly applied make up and a bra.

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, preeya said:

Well, the story was that the junkie called their mutual friend Laura, who also happened to be at the NA meeting and that's how she found out.  Riiigggght.

Well, the April and Ethan breakup lasted all of one episode, it appears.  Barf.

Thought that Crockett had a kid, there was a reference to him losing a kid earlier in the year.  At the time, I thought it was losing a kid who was a patient.  But now we learn it was his.  Adds to the mystery of his backstory. 

What's the point of Dr. Charles' "new" kid being part of the show?  We never knew he had one to begin with.  Didn't seem all that interesting and not really sure what to make of it.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

OMG, that man’s reaction to the antibiotic was awful. So his skin was damaged as if he had been burned?

Also, did the faked identity actually cause an incident that wouldn't otherwise have happened? Unless the patient actually had had an allergic reaction to it before, it sounded like the medication was one they'd reasonably try due to his symptoms, and how would he know to tell them not to? Presumably these types of reactions have to be discovered for the first time somehow.

The Crockett thing was...odd, particularly since we only got Natalie's perspective. Unless there was very coincidental overlap between him and the marrow recipient, this was probably the murder of someone he'd never met in a place he'd never been, which would certainly be a confusing accusation to hear.

I assumed that the twist would be his DNA being 'found at the scene' for any number of other reasons, or that someone was going to take issue with the exclusionary samples being submitted to a larger network instead of being destroyed after use. Which probably indicates I've watched more cop shows than medical shows in my time.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Emma9 said:

I assumed that the twist would be his DNA being 'found at the scene' for any number of other reasons, or that someone was going to take issue with the exclusionary samples being submitted to a larger network instead of being destroyed after use. Which probably indicates I've watched more cop shows than medical shows in my time.

They did say that it was a cold case. Therefore the "found at the scene" would have been a long time ago. Wondering what precipitated the current activity on the cold case.

And boy, did Nataloon insert herself into the case as if she had a personal stake in it. Those cops and Crockett's friend/associate should have told her to MYOFB.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, greyhorse said:

Well, the story was that the junkie called their mutual friend Laura, who also happened to be at the NA meeting and that's how she found out.  Riiigggght.

Well, the April and Ethan breakup lasted all of one episode, it appears.  Barf.

Thought that Crockett had a kid, there was a reference to him losing a kid earlier in the year.  At the time, I thought it was losing a kid who was a patient.  But now we learn it was his.  Adds to the mystery of his backstory. 

What's the point of Dr. Charles' "new" kid being part of the show?  We never knew he had one to begin with.  Didn't seem all that interesting and not really sure what to make of it.

I did. I remembered he had a young daughter. I wondered if they had retconned her away.

15 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

I was kind of hoping that Crockett was a muderer.

Then he could murder Nataloon.

Take April and Choi with him. 

5 hours ago, Emma9 said:

Also, did the faked identity actually cause an incident that wouldn't otherwise have happened? Unless the patient actually had had an allergic reaction to it before, it sounded like the medication was one they'd reasonably try due to his symptoms, and how would he know to tell them not to? Presumably these types of reactions have to be discovered for the first time somehow.

The Crockett thing was...odd, particularly since we only got Natalie's perspective. Unless there was very coincidental overlap between him and the marrow recipient, this was probably the murder of someone he'd never met in a place he'd never been, which would certainly be a confusing accusation to hear.

Yes, it did. Because the real man already had this infection so Halstead used something different/stronger. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I think Nataloon is having the mid-30's baby pains. She is means testing entraping men. Here is a better option: goes to a sperm clinic, pick a deposit, put it in a tube, stick it in the hole and shoot it up. I don't know any man between the ages of 30-45 that would touch that psycho. She is flatly a narcissistic, sociopath now. Who am I kidding, the whole cast is. 

• Love 2

Does anyone here watch this show because you enjoy it?  Or are we all waiting and hoping for them to drop a helicopter on the whole mess?  Or maybe for the writers to have better ideas (brought to them by psychedelic flying unicorns, natch)?

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Driad said:

Does anyone here watch this show because you enjoy it?  Or are we all waiting and hoping for them to drop a helicopter on the whole mess?  Or maybe for the writers to have better ideas (brought to them by psychedelic flying unicorns, natch)?

I wouldn’t watch it if I didn’t enjoy it. I don’t “hate watch” shows.

• Love 4

What really was the purpose of April running to the store? Just to stand outside because she heard her ex is inside with a gunman? She was completely useless. And why is Choi talking about how he made a mistake with someone close to him and blew it? He didn't do anything. It was all April, and there's no need to feel guilt about breaking up. I'm glad they didn't use a life-threatening situation as an excuse to get them back together again.

I guess Nataloon is thinking of joining CPD like Severide. She went all in on that investigation getting information that was none of her business to save Crockett.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Court said:

Yes, it did. Because the real man already had this infection so Halstead used something different/stronger. 

Okay, thank you! I thought I remembered him getting the same drug the real man had had the first time around.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Dr. Charles' kid couldn't put down her electronic crack (her cell phone) for any length of time at all.   The damn thing ought to come with a pacifier.  She needs to suck it up and go back to school.

I take it you haven't spent time with teenagers recently! Some of them are so addicted (and I don't use the term lightly) that they will text someone they are standing next to.

11 hours ago, Donder said:

I think Nataloon is having the mid-30's baby pains. She is means testing entraping men. Here is a better option: goes to a sperm clinic, pick a deposit, put it in a tube, stick it in the hole and shoot it up. I don't know any man between the ages of 30-45 that would touch that psycho. She is flatly a narcissistic, sociopath now. Who am I kidding, the whole cast is. 

Doesn't she already have a baby tucked away somewhere?  Or am I thinking of an identikit character on an identikit show?

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Driad said:

I still enjoy the show. If I hated it I would just stop watching. 

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Was it wrong that I was rooting for the carjacker to shoot ETHAN? Or for Crockett to tell Natalie to go fuck herself and mind her own damn business?

I could see Brian Tee during the script reading, begging the writers to have the carjacker kill his character off so he can finally be free of April.

And the information about Crockett's baby was not anything Nataloon needed to know. It had nothing to do with trying to help with the case against him. She should have just left it alone when his friend said it wasn't his story to tell.

Edited by WinJet0819
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, The Ringo Kidd said:

Why did Crocketts baby die?

Leukemia.  Probably what gave Natalie the idea to check if he had ever donated bone marrow.

Finally got to see this episode:

Police guy says that Choi "broke about 100 rules" running into the store.  He's perfect for April! Neither of them gives a damn about rules or getting other people hurt.

Why does Charles' daughter get to decide if she's going on a school field trip or not? Why is Charles agreeing to this? Why does the hospital staff have to babysit her because she doesn't want to go on a school trip? Surely they've got real work to do.

Good casting on the kid though, she look's like she could be Oliver Platt's daughter.

I guess Rhodes had to go so that they could bring on Crockett as a love interest for Natalie. I miss the original Rhodes before he was ruined by Ava but anything that keeps Natalie from Halstead is good.

On 4/16/2020 at 12:48 PM, Emma9 said:

What would American medical shows do for plots if the country ever got a single payer system?

The patient had an infection but no medical insurance so his friend lent him his information. The friend had had this condition before and it had been successfully treated with Drug X. Halstead prescribed Drug X again but the patient was allergic to the drug, something he presumably didn't know about since otherwise he would have told Halstead that he was allergic to the drug.

You're right, people need to take a drug before they develop an allergy to it, and it can happen even after having a successful course of treatment.  So Chicago Med failed because they assumed that there would be no adverse drug reaction to the drug and didn't check. 

• Love 1

And just like the last time, when the setup was that someone told Natanutbag that Marcel was a suspect in a murder and she had her “but I know all” face and they said, there was DNA, I said “Natajerk WILL determine the exact, near-impossible to believe outcome of this case with about 1% of the available information because she’s always right about everything, because she just knows.”

There was zero suspense. DNA? Forget it. Arrest warrant? Bah. Detectives waiting to cuff him outside the OR? Tell them to grab a snack.

A quick Google search and the case is solved. Natalogics wins again.

Nataloon has decided and Dick Wolf deems she will always be right in the end.

Case Closed.

On 4/16/2020 at 7:57 PM, Driad said:

I hate watch it. There isn’t a character on the show that doesn’t suck. I gave up hoping Nataclown would be wrong once or be held responsible for one of her unethical/illegal stunts. I stopped wishing for a car to smash into the ER and put dr RedHead or Choi out of their miseries. I’m done dreaming that April will make that pensive gaze one more time and her faces freezes like that forever like Mom said.

I kill time watching it because I want to save PD just a little longer.

• Love 2
On 4/15/2020 at 11:36 PM, LittleIggy said:

I’m glad Crockett didn’t get hauled away ‘cause I love me some Crockett, but it seemed ridiculous that the NO cops would just leave like that based on Nat’s say-so.

Exactly. They not only had an arrest warrant but were prepared to bring him back to N’Awlins. So they are going to hear a possible 1 in a million shot theory and say, “Oh, OK, forget it.” As Natalooonie beams her winning smile under that Cover Girl Starter Kit?

No. “Tell your lawyer to look into that” they would say. Then, “turn around, please.”

Edited by SG11
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Leukemia.  Probably what gave Natalie the idea to check if he had ever donated bone marrow.

Finally got to see this episode:

Police guy says that Choi "broke about 100 rules" running into the store.  He's perfect for April! Neither of them gives a damn about rules or getting other people hurt.

Why does Charles' daughter get to decide if she's going on a school field trip or not? Why is Charles agreeing to this? Why does the hospital staff have to babysit her because she doesn't want to go on a school trip? Surely they've got real work to do.

Good casting on the kid though, she look's like she could be Oliver Platt's daughter.

I guess Rhodes had to go so that they could bring on Crockett as a love interest for Natalie. I miss the original Rhodes before he was ruined by Ava but anything that keeps Natalie from Halstead is good.

What would American medical shows do for plots if the country ever got a single payer system?

The patient had an infection but no medical insurance so his friend lent him his information. The friend had had this condition before and it had been successfully treated with Drug X. Halstead prescribed Drug X again but the patient was allergic to the drug, something he presumably didn't know about since otherwise he would have told Halstead that he was allergic to the drug.

You're right, people need to take a drug before they develop an allergy to it, and it can happen even after having a successful course of treatment.  So Chicago Med failed because they assumed that there would be no adverse drug reaction to the drug and didn't check. 

I'm all for anything that will tone Natalie down.  While I believe she had ulterior motives when she pressured Crockett's friend for info , I'm glad she was able to help Crockett.  Homegirl was not about to let her future man go down without a fight. Hopefully his bluntness will help her mind her business in the future. 

On 4/17/2020 at 11:01 PM, WinJet0819 said:

And the information about Crockett's baby was not anything Nataloon needed to know. It had nothing to do with trying to help with the case against him. She should have just left it alone when his friend said it wasn't his story to tell.

I wanted to smack her when Marcel came out of the meeting with the detectives, and she was all, "So what'd they want? Huh, huh??" No doubt anyone would be curious, if officials from another state suddenly showed up to speak to their colleague; but FFS, if he wants to tell you, he will. Don't be a Nosy Nellie, all up in the guy's business.

On a side note, how are Choi and Marcel still employed?? They got into a physical altercation with one another at work TWICE now, and we haven't heard a single word of any kind of repercussion. Anyone I know who tried that would be filing for unemployment right about now.

• Love 1
On 5/5/2020 at 8:05 PM, SnarkySheep said:

On a side note, how are Choi and Marcel still employed?? They got into a physical altercation with one another at work TWICE now, and we haven't heard a single word of any kind of repercussion. Anyone I know who tried that would be filing for unemployment right about now.

Other than possibly Charles and Sharon, is there anyone at that hospital who should still be employed? Natalie breaks the law just about every week, including that boy whose parents refused treatment so she locked them out of the treatment room, April is even worse in terms of judgemental and disobeying orders, Halstead got into physical fights and Maggie lied to get her boyfriend into an ambulance so he could die at home. Even the medical student contradicted her attending in front of the patient's parents.

• Love 4
On 4/16/2020 at 8:57 PM, Driad said:

I run across this show  almost every week, but, I after a minute or two, I just can't stomach it. Even if the few minutes that I'm watching are intriguing, I change the channel, because, I know it's going to get turned around, messed up and infuriate me at some point.  So, why bother.  lol  I saw it last night.  I suppose a repeat. Just came by here to read the comments and see if things had changed. I guess not.  

I hate or I guess you could call it ambivalently watch this show. I started because I wanted a new ER--missed medical shows. The show started out ok and went downhill fast. I now just watch because I record it and I like to have something I don't have to pay close attention to while I walk on the treadmill. Reruns of ER (even in the later years) are still better than this show. I wish they'd revamp the writing.

• Love 1