Type keyword(s) to search

Grimm In the Media: News, Ratings & Scheduling

Personally, I think it is a toss up and I won't be surprised with whatever the network decides (well, I would be excited--and THRILLED--if they fired Kouf and Greenwalt and brought in a new team).  I guess we'll just have to wait a few months.

Sadly, they don't seem to care, Grimm is just left in the corner until whenever the show ends.

Sadly, they don't seem to care, Grimm is just left in the corner until whenever the show ends.

This is true.  I actually don't watch a lot of NBC shows, but I might catch the Today show or our local NBC affiliate news now and then.  And, sadly, I do watch The Biggest Loser (don't judge me), and that is a very commercial-heavy show.  Also, one of the TV's at my gym is always tuned to the NBC station...and I never once saw a commercial for Grimm's return from hiatus.  I'm not saying they didn't show them--but, if they did, they didn't show them very often.

• Love 1

Why do folks think the show is likely to be canceled? The Renew/Cancel column at TvByTheNumbers, which has a very good track record of predicting these things, has it in the "likely to be renewed" column.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/01/26/nbc-renewcancel-standings-week-18-superstore-is-likely-to-get-a-second-season/

Are there other analysts with a track record who are coming to a different conclusion? I'm curious, because there seem to be so many people here who think it's doomed. I would like to read the counter-evidence to my usual sources.

The Renew/Cancel Index at TVBTN is under new management as of this season, since the site was sold. The guy who previously did TVBTN's Renew/Cancel index, Bill Gorman, is now blogging/tweeting as TV Grim Reaper.

http://www.tvgrimreaper.com/2015/09/16/tv-grim-reaper/113/

He currently has Grimm as a toss-up.

http://www.tvgrimreaper.com/2016/01/26/nbc-predictions-heroes-reborn-was-canceled-but-would-have-returned-had-the-ratings-not-been-bad/1252/

• Love 2

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/02/ratings-news-6th-february-2016.html

Holy crap Grimm....  Still fractional, but quite a jump!  Highest ep for the season.. (I just checked and it has the largest audience since 4.15)

Two points on this: I'm still holding to my theory that the "masses" (viewers who are NOT on social media) are Juliette fans. (Also note...the "older" set jumped higher than the "younger" set)

Secondly, ratings are interesting because, in some ways, they reflect more on the previous episode than the current one.  In other words, I haven't watched this ep yet...but you've all said it was BO-RING....so how will that be reflected NEXT week?  Will viewers tune back in?

Edited by OtterMommy

Two points on this: I'm still holding to my theory that the "masses" (viewers who are NOT on social media) are Juliette fans. (Also note...the "older" set jumped higher than the "younger" set)

Secondly, ratings are interesting because, in some ways, they reflect more on the previous episode than the current one.

I also wonder if the ratings hold. Coming back for the return of Juliette, for a casual watcher, might be a matter of curiosity more than being a fan of the character. Bringing someone back from the dead is an event, worth watching even just for the lulz if it's handled badly. The real Juliette test is if the ratings stay higher.
  • Love 1

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/02/06/tv-ratings-friday-feb-5-2016/

Something in favor of a Grimm season 6 renewal....

Sleepy Hollow finally aired on a Friday last night for the first time with a new episode, and it also got a 0.9 rating like Grimm. So a 0.9 might be the best rating a Fantasy crime drama can get on Friday nights right now. Grimm now has that going for it.

As long as ratings remain steady at 0.9, or do better than Sleepy Hollow, even if they aren't on the same time (SH is at 8PM), I think the chances for a season 6 of Grimm is pretty good.

FOX moving Sleepy Hollow to Fridays turned out to be a VERY smart move.

0.9 rating is just down a little bit from the season 3 premiere (1.0 on a Thursday), AND lower ratings are more tolerated on Fridays. Looks like SH and Grimm actually helped each other last night with both being on Fridays. FOX might have just saved the show with the move.

Grimm's renewal or cancellation has nothing to do with how Sleepy Hollow performs. It's only competition for renewal is anything that NBC has that it thinks might do better than Grimm in that time slot, which at this point is pretty much nothing.

Grimm just has to "outrun the other guy" to avoid cancellation.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/09/15/outrunning-the-cancellation-bear-why-relative-ratings-matter-for-your-favorite-tv-shows-3/

No way I see the current NBC 8PM comedies getting new seasons. But we have another Sci Fi/Fantasy show on Friday. Fringe was like 3 years ago, and those sitcoms airing right before Grimm are an entirely different genre.. Constantine wasn't doing much better last year, but that show wasn't owned by NBC.

Sleepy Hollow and Grimm face the same problems right now, both dramas with lower ratings owned by networks on Fridays, so I'll be interesting to do how SH does in the next few weeks compared to Grimm.

Sleepy Hollow and Grimm face the same problems right now, both dramas with lower ratings owned by networks on Fridays, so I'll be interesting to do how SH does in the next few weeks compared to Grimm.

I really don't think Grimm and SH are comparable. Grimm has, for the most part, always aired on Fridays. It's proven itself on that night. SH needs to try and do the same. Also, Grimm's been on longer than SH and has more episodes in the bag. They're already eligible for syndication and can start making more money off the show now by putting it into syndication. Any episodes they add at this point will be gravy err... more money for the cast etc. So I could see why NBC wouldn't be in a rush to cancel. If they can squeeze one more season out of the show that would mean more money for them in DVD/digital sales and syndication.

SH is a different beast being as its only in its third season and is performing like a show that's been on for at least five. FOX has all but given up on promoting the show and SH don't have nearly enough episodes for syndication which would be an incentive to do another season even with the low ratings. The show does have a strong, albeit small following. So that could in the long run count for something. My point is I think if either show is cancelled or renewed it may be for very different reasons.

Edited by Enero

Sasha Roiz and the cast of Grimm created an endowment to help families and patients at OHSU Children's Hospital pay for uncompensated costs associated with treatment. They are doing an online fundraiser with lots of cool prizes that include swag (like shirts and posters created especially for the campaign) and props used on the show (like pages from Nick's grimm book) to skyping with cast members. Every donation enters you for the grand prize, which is going on set, meeting the cast, having a meal with them, and being transformed into a wesen by the makeup department! The deadline to enter is February 11th so go here now!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

I wonder if the show will be reduced to 13 episodes while another show is tested in Grimm's time slot. 

At this point, I would be pissed at the writers for world-building and for dropped storylines when this show may not get another season. 

Edited by spaulding

I wonder if the show will be reduced to 13 episodes while another show is tested in Grimm's time slot. 

At this point, I would be pissed at the writers for world-building and for dropped storylines when this show may not get another season. 

I think we would have already heard if that were the case. 

However, I do think there will be a bump in ratings for the next 2 episodes when they finally solve the key mystery.  I mean, I would think there is a pretty good chance that they might be able to draw back some viewers who had previously watched the show and who just want to know what is up with the keys.

Of course, if the next 2 episodes are crap, a 2-ep bump won't do them any good.  They really need to deliver on eps 511-512 if they want to build any momentum.

As for renewal...my completely uneducated guess is that there is about a 60-70% chance at the moment, but time will tell.

I think we would have already heard if that were the case.

As for renewal...my completely uneducated guess is that there is about a 60-70% chance at the moment, but time will tell.

I thought that Grimm was renewed for a full season very early last year .

I vaguely remember, but I think that Community was renewed in May for S3 and was reduced to 13 episodes.  For S5, a decision for the show came around May, and it was shocking that it wasn't renewed by NBC for S6. 

I thought that renewal/cancellation was usually done around May, especially for shows on the bubble.  Grimm was lucky that it was renewed early/before May.

[The May renewal/cancellation isn't a hard rule.  With Grimm now on the bubble, maybe a decision won't be made until after sweeps or around May.]

I thought that Grimm was renewed for a full season very early last year .

I vaguely remember, but I think that Community was renewed in May for S3 and was reduced to 13 episodes.  For S5, a decision for the show came around May, and it was shocking that it wasn't renewed by NBC for S6. 

I thought that renewal/cancellation was usually done around May, especially for shows on the bubble.  Grimm was lucky that it was renewed early/before May.

[The May renewal/cancellation isn't a hard rule.  With Grimm now on the bubble, maybe a decision won't be made until after sweeps or around May.]

Last year, Grimm was renewed in February, which was unusually early.  Usually it is in late March or April when the announcements are made.

I will admit I misread your first post about a reduced season.  For some reason, I thought you were talking about this year (season 5).  A reduced season 6 would still be a possibility.

Last year, Grimm was renewed in February, which was unusually early.  Usually it is in late March or April when the announcements are made.

I will admit I misread your first post about a reduced season.  For some reason, I thought you were talking about this year (season 5).  A reduced season 6 would still be a possibility.

Sorry for the confusion.  For my prediction, Grimm might get 13 episodes because it's on the bubble.  Then, it'll be canceled.

Since it's on the bubble, maybe we won't hear anything until April/May.

The showrunners and writers have to know that Grimm is on the bubble.  It needs to focus and to streamline the show into a cohesive vision.  The show just wanders around until it stumbles onto some storyline.  Then, off to find another storyline. 

The audience deserves closure from all these ridiculous storylines.

Sorry for the confusion.  For my prediction, Grimm might get 13 episodes because it's on the bubble.  Then, it'll be canceled.

Since it's on the bubble, maybe we won't hear anything until April/May.

The showrunners and writers have to know that Grimm is on the bubble.  It needs to focus and to streamline the show into a cohesive vision.  The show just wanders around until it stumbles onto some storyline.  Then, off to find another storyline. 

The audience deserves closure from all these ridiculous storylines.

That's why I'm hoping that things will improve soon.  Right now, er, with the next few episodes, they have a rare opportunity.  I do think some people who watched earlier seasons and then dropped will tune back in to see how the key story line is resolved.  Now, it would be nice to believe that the resolution of this plot will be so fantastic that these viewers will stay...but I don't think that will happen.  K/G/C have pretty much admitted that they threw it together at the last minute.

However, other things will be going on in these episodes.  From the press releases, it sounds like there will be more Renard (a fan favorite) and they might actually tie the mayoral story into the Black Claw/Hadrian's Wall story.  There will also be a fair amount of Eve--and I still think that Bitsie Tulloch was more popular with these erstwhile viewers than we have given her credit.  There will also be, at least as I can tell from the press releases, limited Adalind (she's always just thrown there at the end: "Also starring Claire Coffee.") AND, I'm hoping, there might be a, ahem, "transformation" of her character.

So, we'll see.  From what I understand, 1.0 is the magic fractional number, and Grimm has been at 0.9 for the past several weeks.  They don't need a huge bump--but they need a bump that will stick around.

ETA: Also, we're now into episodes that were written after season 5 premiered, meaning the creative team knew that things were in a tailspin.  Let's see if they took the ratings to heart....

Edited by OtterMommy
There will also be, at least as I can tell from the press releases, limited Adalind (she's always just thrown there at the end: "Also starring Claire Coffee.") AND, I'm hoping, there might be a, ahem, "transformation" of her character.

Maybe Coffee is ready to jump this sinking ship.  I feel second-hand embarrassment for her at this point.

There will also be a fair amount of Eve--and I still think that Bitsie Tulloch was more popular with these erstwhile viewers than we have given her credit.

If Tulloch has all these fans, maybe they should be watching.  I have no idea where her silent fans are.  When Juliette died, there was no big uproar on Twitter.  Not like Constantine, which had horrible ratings. Not like Community, which had horrible ratings.  When John Constantine made a guest appearance on Arrow, it trended worldwide.  There was no big welcome back Juliette on Twitter.   

There was no big outrage of #SaveJuliette.  But it didn't help that Tulloch went to a ComicCon after her character was supposed to have died. 

There are a lot of factors for the declining ratings.  I'm guessing that the biggest one is the shitty scripts. 

Not even Renard's abs have gotten me to watch again.

So, we'll see.  From what I understand, 1.0 is the magic fractional number, and Grimm has been at 0.9 for the past several weeks.  They don't need a huge bump--but they need a bump that will stick around.

One season of Community had its ratings improve toward the end of the season.  Maybe S2.  NBC still decided to reduce the number of episodes to 13. 

ETA: Also, we're now into episodes that were written after season 5 premiered, meaning the creative team knew that things were in a tailspin.  Let's see if they took the ratings to heart....

I still can't believe that these writers thought that burning the Grimmabago was a good idea.  Or setting up Nick's mom to die.  It might have been good for ratings--no clue--or for shock value, but Grimm isn't The Walking Dead. 

Honestly, I don't think that Grimm can self-correct at this point.  Not without better writing. 

• Love 1
Maybe Coffee is ready to jump this sinking ship.  I feel second-hand embarrassment for her at this point.

She might have a personal reason to leave.  Starting this Fall, her husband will be the new host of "A Prairie Home Companion" which is a huge time commitment AND recorded 2000 miles away.  I don't know how it pays compared to her gig, but it is a much more stable job AND it allows him to continue and promote his music at the same time.  

From her IG account, it looks like she tries to see him perform as much as she can.  Asking her to stay in Portland while he's in Minnesota, essentially full time, might be too much.

If Tulloch has all these fans, maybe should be watching.  I have no idea where her silent fans are.  When Juliette died, there was no big uproar on Twitter.

I'm speculating on these fans (who they are and if they even exist), but my guess is that it is the older set who are less willing to see "gray" and much more comfortable with black and white--and far less likely to be on Twitter.

And there was some backlash on Twitter.  It's hard to measure it though.... The "Nadalind" movement seems big--but, if you look who is posting, it's just a few really, really loud people.  I'm not saying there is a huge movement--but I am saying that there was one.

I still can't believe that these writers thought that burning the Grimmabago was a good idea.  Or setting up Nick's mom to die.  It might have been good for ratings--no clue--or for shock value, but Grimm isn't The Walking Dead.

It was ridiculous...Kelly was rarely on the show so there was no reason to get rid of her and, really, there was no consequence in the plot for the loss of the Grimmabago.  Conveniently, whenever Nick needed something, it was in the one or two books he saved...until--voila!--a whole new set showed up.  If they are going to do something as drastic as burning the trailer, they damn well should have a reason for doing so.

Honestly, I don't think that Grimm can self-correct at this point.  Not without better writing.

They might be able to squeeze out one more season, but I agree with you.  The show can't continue the way they are going now.

ETA:

There was no big outrage of #SaveJuliette.  But it didn't help that Tulloch went to a ComicCon after her character was supposed to have died.

Actually, she didn't go to Comic Con (as evidenced from her tweets and IG's saying how much she missed DG).  She did go to a fan convention in Canada in September or October, though.

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 1

It was ridiculous...Kelly was rarely on the show so there was no reason to get rid of her and, really, there was no consequence in the plot for the loss of the Grimmabago.  Conveniently, whenever Nick needed something, it was in the one or two books he saved...until--voila!--a whole new set showed up.  If they are going to do something as drastic as burning the trailer, they damn well should have a reason for doing so.

IMO, the destruction of the Grimmabago was an unforgivable sin on the writers' part. Also, I can see Kelly moving on to another major Grimm thing (and since she was so integral to the Resistance back in Europe I can see her being part of HW more than Teresa is right now)  once Nick has found his Grimm's legs (so to speak) but once they killed her off, so unexpectedly, I think that a majority of fans just left this show. 

From her IG account, it looks like she tries to see him perform as much as she can.  Asking her to stay in Portland while he's in Minnesota, essentially full time, might be too much.

That's what I suspect too.  Grimm is sinking, and there's no reason for her to wait until it's canceled.  She and her husband are young and have a new baby, so she might choose to move to MN.  She might also take a break from acting to be a SAHM and to concentrate on her blog.

I'm speculating on these fans (who they are and if they even exist), but my guess is that it is the older set who are less willing to see "gray" and much more comfortable with black and white--and far less likely to be on Twitter.

Tullooch is active on Twitter.  I remember an interview where she said that her fans kept asking her why her character was passive or something like that.  She said that her fans wanted her to have a more active role. 

She can respond to anybody she wants and ignore everybody else, but I thought that it was funny.  My gut reaction was that she doesn't listen to her critics.  Instead, she only listens to her fans/yes people.

I'm guessing that the writers listen only to their fans/yes people as well.  Nobody is wrangling them and telling them what is/isn't a good idea.

It was ridiculous...Kelly was rarely on the show so there was no reason to get rid of her and, really, there was no consequence in the plot for the loss of the Grimmabago.  Conveniently, whenever Nick needed something, it was in the one or two books he saved...until--voila!--a whole new set showed up.  If they are going to do something as drastic as burning the trailer, they damn well should have a reason for doing so.

I can't believe that these writers are so clueless.  They didn't have any idea that the Grimmabago was an important part of the show.  After S1, the Grimmabago and its contents were displayed for the San Diego Comic Con. 

Now, they want to self-correct and they'll grasp at anything to do it. 

Actually, she didn't go to Comic Con (as evidenced from her tweets and IG's saying how much she missed DG).  She did go to a fan convention in Canada in September or October, though.

Thanks for the correction.  I thought that she went to a mini Con in Canada.  She wasn't at the huge Con--ComicCon in San Diego.

• Love 1

The Grimmabago is/was a huge draw for the show and it make no sense to have that twit burn it down.  I never cared for Juliette, but what she did to Momma Kelly and the Grimmago was one reason she should have been gone from this show.

I'm not sure how Facebook chooses "trending""stories. But I woke up to find Grimm trending for the first time ever. I thought it might be due to to the large number of fans taking to,social media to condemn the Rapemance.

But, no.

A lot of generic posts. Several pro Nick/Adalind posts. And one post from what appears to a local actor who says he was called back at some point for this episode for a reshoot due to a script change, and wasn't sure he made the final cut. Makes me wonder about how they do script changes and if the show runners respond at all to critics as much as they respond to their supporters.

Ah, well, sometimes I think that we on this board who are frustrated with certain aspects of the show , are just a minority,

• Love 1

1.0!

The last Grimm episode adjusted up in the Final ratings.

YESSSSSS! Now that's what I'm talking about! NOT fractional! I can see NBC bringing back Grimm since everything else is so low on Friday.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/03/07/friday-final-ratings-march-4-2016/

I think NBC will take a "wait and see" tactic here.  It is not surprising that this episode (and I'm sure the next episode) will have higher ratings.  They are finally addressing something they introduced in the first episode of the series and something people have been begging to be addressed for about 2 seasons now.  However, I think that the ratings for 513-517(ish) will really tell the story.  Will the resolution of the keys story line be satisfying enough to keep those who tuned back in just for that around?  Will people start to care about Hadrian's Wall/Black Claw?  Will the writing improve?  Will Nick become, if not more likable, at least more watchable?  What about, you know, all that other stuff?? 

If the show stays at or about 1.0 for the next episode than falls back down to .8 or below, I'm not sure renewal is a done deal.  In any case, I don't think we'll get an announcement until late in the season.