Type keyword(s) to search

Grimm In the Media: News, Ratings & Scheduling

Because if Grimm goes away, then this board goes with it :-) and this board is so much fun, even when our show isn't.

Yes, this board is fun and I do love it when OtterMommy talks about this show (and the insight she gives about the Real Portland). 

• Love 4

I am sadly afraid that TPTB might think the growth in ratings is due to Nick and Adalind sleeping together not that we finally get resolution to the key story, Nick and Monroe on the road together again, and anything BUT Nick and Adalind sleeping together.  

So they are going to ram that stuff even more down out throats.   Ugh.

• Love 1

I am sadly afraid that TPTB might think the growth in ratings is due to Nick and Adalind sleeping together not that we finally get resolution to the key story, Nick and Monroe on the road together again, and anything BUT Nick and Adalind sleeping together.  

So they are going to ram that stuff even more down out throats.   Ugh.

Sigh...I'm afraid you're right.  As someone said (ironically from the other side) the loudest voice isn't always right and, man, the "Nadalind" fans on FB and twitter are loud--although, if you pay attention, there really aren't that many of them.    Frankly, I would have been surprised if the ratings for 511 and 512 weren't high--because of the KEYS.  However, I also wouldn't be surprised if they fell after that because, as the ratings have indicated so far this season, the Nick/Adalind fandom is actually small and most viewers are tuning it out.

Grimm listed as one of 10 shows likely to be canceled (see last show), but the writer waffles. Not an especially thoughtful article.

http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/14-tv-shows-likely-to-get-the-axe-after-this-season.html/10/

It's interesting that Hawaii 5.0 is on this list (and "higher," although I don't know if that actually means anything).  I've never watched the show so I have not opinions about it specifically, but it airs against Grimm and *always* has higher ratings.

I think that H5-0's placement is just random. It may also be more expensive due to setting and cast. I dropped it to watch Grimm and haven't regretted that decision. I'd still rather watch this than that, despite the daylight and Hawaiian setting and Daniel Dae Kim. ( Though the last item is awfully compelling.)

• Love 3

Anyone else shocked this show has managed to reach 100 episodes?

I'm pretty sure even NBC had written it off when it first premiered by putting it on Friday nights. No matter if Grimm gets another season or not, hitting 100 is a huge win since many shows can't even get a second season.

Anyone else shocked this show has managed to reach 100 episodes?

I'm pretty sure even NBC had written it off when it first premiered by putting it on Friday nights. No matter if Grimm gets another season or not, hitting 100 is a huge win since many shows can't even get a second season.

Especially since the creators themselves said they never thought they'd get to 100 episodes...which meant they never had any intention of solving the keys.  Well, the joke is on them....

(I'm eagerly awaiting everyone's reactions....but, no, I won't be watching it....)

Especially since the creators themselves said they never thought they'd get to 100 episodes...which meant they never had any intention of solving the keys.  Well, the joke is on them....

(I'm eagerly awaiting everyone's reactions....but, no, I won't be watching it....)

I feel your pain!.... LOL...  

Oh, Ottermommy, you should have - if only for the Renard campaign poster.  Bwaaahahahahahhaha.  Best laugh I had in a long time.  Startled BOTH cats.

Well, I didn't have to watch it...Sasha Roiz posted the poster to Instagram.  That was....an incredibly cheap decision by the set department.

• Love 1

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/03/final-adjusted-tv-ratings-for-friday_14.html

Grimm went fractional again and lost about 35K viewers (about 8%)

Now, this episode SHOULD have been the highest of the season...they are finally solving the keys, something that people have been asking for (and, from comments I've read other places, a number of people quit watching the show because that story line was dropped).  But, instead it falls?  Honestly, even I was surprised by this.  But, then, I think I know why....despite all the emoticons flying around on Twitter and Facebook and the weird mash-up YouTube videos....

Hexensex was not a hit.

And, it might just be the nail in the coffin on this show.  

ETA: And it presents an interesting arc to this season.  The ratings fell when it was just Nick and Adalind, they began to climb when Juliette/Eve showed back up, and then fell after the hexensex (again, especially notable because this episode should have higher, not lower, ratings).  

Since they are currently filming either 521 or 522, a course correct is probably out of the realm of possibility this season.  Sigh....

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 2

I think that the show has lost so many viewers that few even realized that the whole key subplot has been revived.  And  while I know that many people get enraged by the whole Nick/Adalind relationship, there are probably equal numbers who aren't bothered by it at all.  I don't think that it can be blamed on Hexensex.  It is the utterly poor writing that is dooming the show.  The first season was really magical, to use a bad pun.  Writing was all right, and the cinematography  brought some real atmosphere. Most of the Wesen were really interesting. About the only things that I have liked since then is the addition of Rosalee and the fact that Hank and Wu are now in on the secret. The whole Royals plot--a disaster.  The multiple preganancies--idiotic. (Well, ok, I did like Adalind's expressions during those ridiculous rites.)  Subplots dropped and forgotten, Monroe and Nick's relationship allowed to become stale, the list goes on and on.  Even most of the new Wesen, when they bother to introduce one anymore, aren't all that interesting.

• Love 4

I think that the show has lost so many viewers that few even realized that the whole key subplot has been revived.  And  while I know that many people get enraged by the whole Nick/Adalind relationship, there are probably equal numbers who aren't bothered by it at all.  I don't think that it can be blamed on Hexensex.  It is the utterly poor writing that is dooming the show.  The first season was really magical, to use a bad pun.  Writing was all right, and the cinematography  brought some real atmosphere. Most of the Wesen were really interesting. About the only things that I have liked since then is the addition of Rosalee and the fact that Hank and Wu are now in on the secret. The whole Royals plot--a disaster.  The multiple preganancies--idiotic. (Well, ok, I did like Adalind's expressions during those ridiculous rites.)  Subplots dropped and forgotten, Monroe and Nick's relationship allowed to become stale, the list goes on and on.  Even most of the new Wesen, when they bother to introduce one anymore, aren't all that interesting.

I could buy the argument that it was everything else that was wrong with the show--and we KNOW that all played a part--except...the ratings actually jumped going into 511.  The 3 keys were found at the end of 510, which points to people tuning back in to see what happens with them.  Now, that SHOULD have continued to rise into 512 (I always suspected that ratings would fall with 513, but we'll have to wait until Saturday to see if that happens), but they "sort of, but not really inexplicably" fell in 512.  Ratings for one episode usually reflect more on the previous episode....So, what happened in 511?  From what I've seen from other people's posts is that most of the episode was good--EXCEPT for the hexensex.  Since the trend of the ratings so far this season has been to drop when "Nadalind" is pushed and then rise when it looks like they are going to back off from it, the only conclusion I can draw is that Hexensex was a bomb...big time.

It's too bad that the show felt that they had to push this because of a handful of people on twitter, facebook, and youtube.  They probably just killed this show.

I guess the silver lining is that it turns out that not everyone thinks rape is a sweet, romantic thing.  A teensy bit of my faith in humanity has been restored.

• Love 1

Quote from the article/interview: "Five seasons in, the show has continually impressed with steady storytelling,"

What show has this writer been watching?  It sure isn't a description of Grimm.

I liked the part where DG totally dodges the question on whether or not he likes the Nick and Adalind development, says that the writers have polarized the audience and then says, "Kudos to the writers."  I honestly think the real quote was "Kudos to the writers....fuckers."

• Love 3

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-grimm-david-giuntoli-100-episodes-20160311-htmlstory.html

Interview with DG.  A couple interesting items:

1 - He does some dodging of questions with moderate success....

2 - It sounds like it may have been decided that, if they get a season 6, that will be the end of it.

3 - He might be moving to the other side of the camera after Grimm

Replying (yes, to my own post) in the spoilers thread....

I liked the part where DG totally dodges the question on whether or not he likes the Nick and Adalind development, says that the writers have polarized the audience and then says, "Kudos to the writers."  I honestly think the real quote was "Kudos to the writers....fuckers."

I'm guessing DG thinks the Nadalind thing is a piece of crap, but he is being smart about it by saying nothing negative. Don't burn your bridges.

• Love 1

I'm guessing DG thinks the Nadalind thing is a piece of crap, but he is being smart about it by saying nothing negative. Don't burn your bridges.

Yeah, smack talking your show is pretty much verboten in Hollywood--unless you are Katherine Heigl or Shannen Dougherty (and you don't plan to do much work anymore!)

Still, maybe I'm reading too much into this, but that interview really has a different feel from what I'm used to from DG.  Up into season 4, he always sounded like the happy puppy dog in interviews--everything is FUN and AWESOME and HE NEVER WANTS THE SHOW TO END!!!!!!!!  And now (now=starting with interviews from this summer into this....) it's all, "eh...this might be the end.  It was fun, but...."

I can see, with the recent and mind-boggling development deal NBC struck with Kouf and Greenwalt, that there might have always been a plan to end the show after season 6...but now even having a season 6 is very much up in the air.

• Love 1

Final rating are for the 100th episode:

0.9 and 3.91 million viewers for the Finals

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/03/14/friday-final-ratings-march-11-2016/

Under 4 million again after several episodes above that number. I guess it's true, the Nick and Adalind sex grossed out WAY too many people that not even finding out what treasure the keys led to could bring them back!

Please writers, KILL OFF Nadalind before it takes down the entire show with it!

• Love 2

Final rating are for the 100th episode:

0.9 and 3.91 million viewers for the Finals

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/03/14/friday-final-ratings-march-11-2016/

Under 4 million again after several episodes above that number. I guess it's true, the Nick and Adalind sex grossed out WAY too many people that not even finding out what treasure the keys led to could bring them back!

Please writers, KILL OFF Nadalind before it takes down the entire show with it!

It's too late, the deed has already been done, no pun intended!  Seriously.  The show can't undo Adalind raping Nick and it can't undo Nadalind consensual sex.  The show can't undo Juliette and Renard's nasty roll at his home or Juliette screwing Kenneth in the bed that she once shared with Nick,,,nasty heifer!  Grimm is really a soap opera with the bed hopping being done by Nick, Juliette, Renard and Adalind.  The only couple that really had a romance and fell in love on screen were Monroe and Rosalie, and I will be pissed if the writers mess them up.  Whatever HEA the writer's create for Nick/Juliette and Adalind/Renard will be eye and stomach rolling at best!

Edited by Darklazr

Grimm and Nick were used in a TV Cops episode of Jeopardy!  Despite how the show has been, I was excited.

I was watching an episode of "Who Do You Think You Are" where they featured Sean Hayes about a year ago and I totally squee'd when they showed a still from Grimm.  Yes, I totally have an inner teenaged fangirl...

• Love 3

Grimm and Nick were used in a TV Cops episode of Jeopardy!  Despite how the show has been, I was excited.

David Guintolli posted on Twitter that his grandmother would be tickled if she knew he was an answer on Jeopardy. His father also named David will be performing a concert on Sinatra songs on April 15th in St Louis.

• Love 2

Does anyone know if our David sings, too? If so, why hasn't that been worked into a story in some way? 

Very impressed that David pere  is good enough to do a concert of Sinatra! Break a leg, sir!

• Love 1

Well, I woke up today to find that Grimm was a trending story on FB, for the second week in a row. I'm not even sure what it means.....I wonder if NBC or the show runners have anything to do with it? All I know is that I haven't seen this show as a trending story until recently. And we happen to be coming down to the wire for renewal.

I hope Grimm gets another season to cleanup and fix all of their major mistakes.

In ONE season?

I'll guess that Grimm gets 13 episodes to finish.  I can't imagine how they'll fix their mistakes in one season. 

These writers must think that they're going to work on this show forever.  They're still world-building with the magic stick and another secret organization.

• Love 1
EXCLUSIVE: Fences is certainly swinging for the fences, bringing together one heck of a stage reunion for the feature film. Mykelti Williamson and Russell Hornsby are reprising their Broadway roles for Denzel Washington’s feature adaptation of August Wilson’s Pulitzer- and Tony-winning play.

A quote from the article above.

• Love 1

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/02/live7-dvr-ratings-week-18-18th-jan-24th.html

Table showing the DVR increase for shows....Grimm is in a 9 way tie for 15th place, which is actually 9th place if you count the shows tied in higher places as one.

I guess that's good news....

Good news, especially since my DVR doesn't "count". It's still failing to record Grimm for me, and Law and Order SVU for the kid. But, it DOES record SpongeBob. Go figure. My DVR has its own taste.

So, Sasha posted on his FB about the renewal..and out of curiousity I read through the 100 plus comments. Thankfully for those of us that DO want a sixth season (in the hopes that Show can clean up their mess), there appear to be many others who truly LOVE this show. Without question. Calling it the best show on TV...some even saying this is the best season! Thankfully, no Nadalind shipper comments (yet).

Are we - those who love to snark - a minority?

• Love 1

Claire Coffee is very excited about the renewal so I'm guessing she'll be back next season. She doesn't sound like someone who was written out of the show.

So, Sasha posted on his FB about the renewal..and out of curiousity I read through the 100 plus comments. Thankfully for those of us that DO want a sixth season (in the hopes that Show can clean up their mess), there appear to be many others who truly LOVE this show. Without question. Calling it the best show on TV...some even saying this is the best season! Thankfully, no Nadalind shipper comments (yet).

Are we - those who love to snark - a minority?

Yes, you're a minority. The vast majority of people don't devote time to shows they no longer enjoy. They just stop watching and move on. Life is too short for hate-watching.

I'm thrilled the show is renewed and looking forward to the new season already. I still love the show and the characters.

• Love 1

Claire Coffee is very excited about the renewal so I'm guessing she'll be back next season. She doesn't sound like someone who was written out of the show.

Yes, you're a minority. The vast majority of people don't devote time to shows they no longer enjoy. They just stop watching and move on. Life is too short for hate-watching.

I'm thrilled the show is renewed and looking forward to the new season already. I still love the show and the characters.

Maybe I wasn't clear...I DO love the show. I also love to snark about it, because there are lots of problems with it. I've watched every episode (the first 2 seasons, multiple times). And I love the cast. And I'm beyond thrilled that it was renewed..because honestly..I only watch TWO shows - yep- the entire universe of TV, and all I watch is Grimm and NCIS NOLA (and I'm two weeks behind on that one !) oh, and reruns of Enterprise on DVD.

I actually tried "hate watching" once. It was OUaT. And that lasted two episodes, before I had to give up and move on.

• Love 2
(edited)

Maybe I wasn't clear...I DO love the show. I also love to snark about it, because there are lots of problems with it. I've watched every episode (the first 2 seasons, multiple times). And I love the cast. And I'm beyond thrilled that it was renewed..because honestly..I only watch TWO shows - yep- the entire universe of TV, and all I watch is Grimm and NCIS NOLA (and I'm two weeks behind on that one !) oh, and reruns of Enterprise on DVD.

I actually tried "hate watching" once. It was OUaT. And that lasted two episodes, before I had to give up and move on.

I understood, or at least think I did, if you asked if you were in the minority.  I'm not surprised that it was renewed--even with the falling ratings, it still is the best thing that NBC has on Friday nights (and I read that it also attracts an "upscale" audience.  I guess you don't need quit as many viewers if they are wealthier?), but I do hope that the creative team takes to heart the criticisms the show received this season.  

Look, the ratings took a hit--and if you line up the ratings with the episodes, it's pretty clear what a major factor in that fall was.  There were other factors, of course--they had to recover from season 4 when they basically threw crap at the wall to see what would stick and changed the plan for the season at the last minute, and this season was just general crap writing.  Hopefully, they will take a good look at what people are saying--not just on FB and on twitter--and decide if maybe they should take some of the criticisms to heart.

As for you being in the minority--well, we won't know real numbers, so we don't know what a minority is.  But you are far from the only person who was/is concerned about the direction of this show.

Edited: I am apparently unable to write a coherent post on the first try.  Sigh....

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 2

I have a small roster of shows that I watch, countable on one hand.  One of them recently ended its run, two have very short seasons, both of which are close to ending, and this is the only network one with a regular length season.  So I would have felt badly if it had been cancelled, and am glad it wasn't, but still regret the decline in quality.  I hope it returns to its former glory. 

• Love 1

I think that these days, criticizing something is mistaken for hating it. The minute you say you don't like an aspect of a show, you're labeled a hater and why don't you just stop watching the show if you hate it so much? Why can't you enjoy it to the same level I do?

If I tell a friend I don't like something they did or am not happy with a certain aspect of their personality, I would hope they wouldn't assume I hated them and wanted to stop being friends with them completely.

For me, if I stop commenting or caring about a decline in quality, that means I no longer love the show and don't consider it worth commenting on. While I'm still commenting, that for me shows a level of caring.

I'm glad it's been renewed, since I hope they do course correct. 

Very well said.

If I hated this show, or was even just indifferent, I wouldn't be on this forum.  I am not someone who is into knocking something just for the heck of it.  No, I'm not currently watching this show--but I would love to be able to watch it again.  For 4 seasons, this was my "it" show--the one I made a point to watch live and, in a way, it is painful to not be watching it of Friday nights.   We all have our things, our lines that shouldn't be crossed, and this show crossed mine.  Now, I'm willing to pick it back up when/if it changes it tune (and I really, really hope it does), but the fact that i'm still here says that there was enough in this show once that I still care for it and want it to succeed.

Now, on a different note--I saw another article that referenced Grimm's "upscale" audience.  Honestly, this is the first time I've seen a reference like this about any how when talking about ratings.  Is this really a thing networks look at? I'm just curious....

• Love 1

Upscale? People who have nothing to do on a Friday night?

Yes. The opposite of love is not hate, it's apathy.

Ha ha!  Yes, the rich people who stay home on Fridays!

No, actually it just referred to upscale as viewers with a $100K+ household income.  Here is the exact verbage:

“Grimm” also generates an upscale audience, indexing at a 111 among adults 18-49 living homes with $100K+ incomes (with 100 representing an average concentration of those high-income homes).

As I said, I just haven't seen anything like that referenced before.

Oh hey, on yet ANOTHER note...does this mean we might actually get another Halloween episode?  The only time Grimm has done that was during season 2 - when it started in September and then took a long hiatus for the Summer Olympics.  Since the Summer Olympics are happening again (although I don't know the exact date), maybe it could work out...  I've always thought it was strange that, with that one exception, Grimm has never really acknowledged Halloween.

• Love 1

I only watch TWO shows - yep- the entire universe of TV, and all I watch is Grimm and NCIS NOLA (and I'm two weeks behind on that one !) oh, and reruns of Enterprise on DVD.

Neuromom, it's like I have a twin!  Add "Jeopardy!" to the list and that's all I watch, including Enterprise on DVD (Quantum Leap, too.)