Type keyword(s) to search

Grimm In the Media: News, Ratings & Scheduling

Friday is where Fox sends shows to die.

Not always. Fringe got another 2 seasons after moving to Friday.

Fridays is good for low rated shows because lower ratings are more tolerated by networks on that night. You don't have to be huge, just be the biggest fish in a small lake. Hell, Grimm is the perfect example of a show coasting on average ratings for years on Fridays.

Edited by icewolf
  • Love 1

yesterday there was a killing at the border of the park where Grimm is currently filming some night sequences? http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2015/11/man_found_shot_and_killed_outs.html

This is where they put Marie's trailer when Nick hypothetically bought an acre of land in the woods, after the trailer lot by the Fremont bridge was turned into a construction project, and there may have been other scenes set in the woods. In real life, there is a dog park, a disk golf course, and some picnic areas in an area with a lot of trees

• Love 1

So, here is something interesting I noticed when I was looking at this page for the list of episodes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Grimm_episodes#Season_5_.282015.29

If you look at seasons 3 and 4, there is an interesting trend..I think.  I might be reading too much into this, but here it goes

Both seasons 3 and 4 had a similar set up in that, for the first half of both seasons, Adalind was off doing her own thing in "Europe" and had minimal scenes.  Then, in the second half, Adalind came back to Portland and was more prominently featured.  In both seasons, the show started to take a ratings dive when Adalind became more prominent.

Now, of course, there are other influences in this, but I just thought that those two things--Adalind's increased presence and falling ratings--lined up suspiciously nicely.

Two other things I found interesting:

1. The most watched episode, after the pilot, was 3.06 "Stories we Tell Our Young" (this was the one with the boy everyone thought was demon-possessed, but super smart Juliette saved the day with her super duper vet powers).  Really?  I thought this was one of their more disappointing episodes?  
  2. Not only was 5.01 their lowest rated premiere, but 5.02 was their lowest rated episode ever...the first time they had a viewership they had a viewership of less than 4M.  

As for #2....I really hope the powers that be are paying attention to that.

• Love 2

To be fair could the Paris Attacks have affected the ratings?

I doubt it...from what people have posted on FB, there wasn't much pre-empting going on.  Plus, and I wish I could find the article for this, people looking for "news" on something like this are far more likely to go online than go searching for it on TV.

From the 5.03 thread:

I agree that, creatively, the show deserves to be canceled. They've committed so many sins against the characters and the act of writing itself, I won't defend them on that front. But the ratings are good, so I don't really see NBC pulling the plug:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/11/10/nbc-renewcancel-standings-week-7-early-pickups-dont-change-the-picture-much/

Except that this show is consistently losing viewers. Each new episode now takes the record for the fewest viewers....

I'm always behind when it comes to reading about ratings and where shows are and are they liked to be cancelled or renewed?... I just NOW read the article talking about how Grimm had lowest ratings ever for its premiere of season 5, but it was up against some powerful stuff, I guess??

I can't figure out why the writers cannot figure out that NO ONE, virtually no one, well, at least anyone I know and most of the people here H A T E the Adalind storylines. Everyone here talks about how much they like Claire Coffee as an actress, but I've never seen her in anything else so I can't judge that. I just know I hate the ground she walks on as relates to Grimm.

I'm not watching the show anymore. I'm just coming here to read what's happening. If they get RID of Adalind, I could go for a sixth season, but if they don't, they can cancel it tomorrow and I will no longer care. And at this point, I don't even care if they brought Bitsie back as long as they get COMPLETELY rid of Adalind.

Edited by PepperMonkey
  • Love 1

I'm always behind when it comes to reading about ratings and where shows are and are they liked to be cancelled or renewed?... I just NOW read the article talking about how Grimm had lowest ratings ever for its premiere of season 5, but it was up against some powerful stuff, I guess??

It's already lower than the premiere. The worst part in the relentless slide is that, even if TPTB honestly realize their mistake at this point, what can they do now? The scheduled episodes will air. I've stopped watching too, and just follow the forums and the links posted here. Reading the recap OtterMommy linked to made me wonder if the show can be salvaged at all. It's not enough to shove Adalind front and center, they just had to hammer the Adalind-and-Nick point with scenes that would not be out of place in a cheesy teen movie. They just... deserve the ratings they get. It's like these are not the same show runners that did season 1.

• Love 1

It's already lower than the premiere. The worst part in the relentless slide is that, even if TPTB honestly realize their mistake at this point, what can they do now? The scheduled episodes will air. I've stopped watching too, and just follow the forums and the links posted here. Reading the recap OtterMommy linked to made me wonder if the show can be salvaged at all. It's not enough to shove Adalind front and center, they just had to hammer the Adalind-and-Nick point with scenes that would not be out of place in a cheesy teen movie. They just... deserve the ratings they get. It's like these are not the same show runners that did season 1.

Well, what they could do:

1- Edit the episodes they've already filmed.  It was pretty obvious that they did something like this, albeit not well, at the end of season 4 when the ratings started sliding then.  Basically, there is always stuff left on the cutting room floor and they could cut out as much Nick and Adalind stuff as they could and back fill it with stuff cut from other scenes.  It wouldn't be great TV, but it could at least be better than going down a road that is not working for them.

2 - They are currently filming 512, so there is some pre-film editing they could do there.  

3 - They are writing/prepping 513, 514, 515--they could ACTUALLY WRITE SOMETHING WORTH WATCHING!  Look, the whole Wesen uprising thing could be really interesting--so spend more time on it!  Then, when they have a plan going forward which does not include Nickalind (ugh...I can't believe I just typed that!), they can start putting more of the non-cop stuff in.

Just because the question upthread intrigued me, I looked into the lead-ins for Grimm's run, as well as lead-outs on Wikipedia.

In Grimm's rookie season ( 2011-12), it had Chuck's last episodes and Who Do You Think You Are?. Dateline NBC was the lead-out. For the spate of "early" episodes aired during/ around the London Olympics, it had "Encore Programming" as a lead in  and Dateline NBC as lead-out.

In 2012-13, Grimm had "Encore Programming" and Fashion Star as lead-in; Dateline NBC or Rock Center with Brian Williams was lead-out for that season.

In 2013-14, Grimm had Dateline NBC as a lead-in, but the tag-team of Dracula and Hannibal as lead-outs that season.

In 2014-15, Grimm had two timeslots. During it's usual 9PM Eastern slot, Dateline NBC  and Constantine were lead-ins. Constantine was the lead-out when Dateline was the lead-in.  By Spring 2015, Grimm had been moved to 8PM Eastern, so it was the lead in to two hours of Dateline.

So far, I don't think that Undateable ( with it's live gimmick) or Truth Be Told ( with it's interactivity and good-looking leads) do anything for Grimm's ratings. Nick and Co. are, as ever, followed by Lester Holt and Dateline NBC.

If he didn't have the anchor desk, I would wonder if Mr. Holt dreams of taking over all three hours of NBC on Friday. He's been close before.

Also, an interesting note: No other rookie NBC show, drama or comedy, has survived as long as Grimm. It is the last show standing from the rookies of 2011-12.

• Love 2

Apparently since we killed off most of the Royals we're now expanding the Revolutionaries.

He is cute. Wonder if this means the end of Meisner or if Meisner heads some opposition to the new hottie.

I swear I've seen him somewhere other than Longmire (I've never seen that show....).  Yes he is cute...but I'm not sure he's cute enough to get me to watch again.

Speaking of which...Grimm broke its own least-watched episode record.  Again.  Um, congrats?  (Down 0.12 million from last week, which was down .16 million from the week before/season premiere).

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/11/final-adjusted-tv-ratings-for-friday_16.html

Edited by OtterMommy

Somewhat Grimm related.

The Vampire Diaries and The Originals being moved to Friday nights on The CW in February. With Sleepy Hollow moving there too, looks like Fridays is becoming the night of Sci-Fi/Fantasy again like we had during Grimm's first season when it faced Fringe and Supernatural.

http://tvline.com/2015/11/23/vampire-diaries-originals-fridays-cw-schedule-2016/

So, will this help or hurt Grimm?  Unfortunately, I think it will be the latter since the creative team is trying their hardest to flush this show down the toilet.  If there are other SciFi/Fantasy shows on at the same time, why would you watch Grimm?

It'll hurt.

Being the only fantasy show on Fridays on the major networks has certainly helped Grimm last so long, but the show is going to have some actual competition with the Vampire Diaries in January.

Edited by icewolf
  • Love 2

I doubt it will have much effect really.  People thought that putting Fringe/Grimm/Supernatural on opposite each other would eat into each others ratings and that didn't happen

I think it could go either way.  As you said, the Fringe/Grimm/Supernatural combo didn't bring any harm, but Grimm is very vulnerable right now.  Of course, it is doing a good job of losing viewers all by itself....

• Love 1

I thought it was impressive how Grimm faced those shows in its first season and came out just fine. I don't think NBC or cast and crew even expected Grimm to be successful in the first place. Usually when new shows are start out on Fridays they quickly die and are never heard from again.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridayNightDeathSlot

Getting renewed must have been a pleasant surprise for the cast and crew. Season 1 of Grimm certainly deserved to be renewed based on its quality and ratings.

In recent years, the Friday Night Death Slot has killed off NBC shows Hannibal, Crossbones, Dracula, and Constantine. So Grimm has been very lucky in that regard. Those two comedies airing before Grimm right now at 8PM are getting abysmal ratings, so expect them to be gone by January.

Edited by icewolf
  • Love 1

Saw this poll on another thread, and this left me scratching my head: Bud of all people is considered a polarizing character, according to TVLine.  The choices are he's either "nebbishly helpful" or "neurotically in-the-way."  I mean, yeah, he can be a bit much at times, but this little guy has been a big help for Team Grimm in the past.  Even willing to do the jobs that suck (babysitting Adalind.) Thankfully, he was 68.29% helpful in the poll, the last I check, so at least most fans seems to appreciate poor Bud.  But I still found him to be a strange choice for this list.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

Saw this poll on another thread, and this left me scratching my head: Bud of all people is considered a polarizing character, according to TVLine.  The choices are he's either "nebbishly helpful" or "neurotically in-the-way."  I mean, yeah, he can be a bit much at times, but this little guy has been a big help for Team Grimm in the past.  Even willing to do the jobs that suck (babysitting Adalind.) Thanking, he was at 68.29% helpful last I check, so at least most fans seems to appreciate poor Bud.  But I still found him to be a strange choice for this list.

I had to pick " nebbish helpful" and I was glad to see that got more votes than the other option. That being said since when is Budd a polarizing figure? If anything I think of him as one of the rocks of this show, and either Juliette and/or Adalind should've been placed on that poll instead of him. 

• Love 3

I had to pick " nebbish helpful" and I was glad to see that got more votes than the other option. That being said since when is Budd a polarizing figure? If anything I think of him as one of the rocks of this show, and either Juliette and/or Adalind should've been placed on that poll instead of him. 

What a dumb poll.  (Yeah, I voted in it...go ahead, judge me).  Does TVLine know what a "polarizing character" is?  I mean, Adalind is polarizing.  She's probably the most polarizing character I've seen on aTV show in a long time.  Heck, I could even see Trubel nominated for this distinction.  But Bud?  A character who shows up once every 5 episodes and 90% of the time is just comic relief? (And the other 10% of the time he is the little guy who makes you all want to stand up and cheer).

Ugh....

• Love 2

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/12/01/nbc-renewcancel-standings-week-10-grimm-need-not-be-scared-yet/

Tvbythenumbers says Grimm is safe from cancellation at this moment, and another season is likely. The show has BOTH (F) and (O) going for it. Basically Friday nights suck, and the ratings are good enough. The page is worth a read.

That's interesting...one other place (I think SpoilerTV) has it in danger, but I guess we shall see.  I think it benefits from the fact that NBC really doesn't have much else going for it at the moment (other than the Rupert Grint/Superhero show I heard about...yes, that's right....)

However, if it keeps losing viewers at the rate it has been, I don't know how safe it will be.

ETA: Here's the table from SpoilerTV, which lists Grimm as being in danger:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/08/spoilertv-cancellation-predictor-table.html

However, there is the problem with this one in that it just deals in numbers and doesn't take into account when a show airs or, if it is on one of the major networks, which network.

ETA (again):

I was wrong about the Rupert Grint show...it's about comic books, not superheroes.

http://deadline.com/2015/10/rupert-grint-silvio-horta-comic-book-drama-nbc-aaron-kaplan-1201596822/

Edited by OtterMommy

However, if it keeps losing viewers at the rate it has been, I don't know how safe it will be.

This. Every episode has been losing more viewers. I think a decision on another season is premature before it stabilizes somewhat. This goes double if there is a twist coming (like, say, BT coming back, a major death, or anything Adalind-related). Even if NBC has nothing else better, they could at least go for a short season if things keep going downhill.

• Love 1

This. Every episode has been losing more viewers. I think a decision on another season is premature before it stabilizes somewhat. This goes double if there is a twist coming (like, say, BT coming back, a major death, or anything Adalind-related). Even if NBC has nothing else better, they could at least go for a short season if things keep going downhill.

I think the next 2 episodes will tell the true story.  Trubel is coming back and there are people who adore her.  There are also people who hate her.  However, I think most run of the mill viewers are not that strongly attached to her.  I've read a lot of comments saying that Trubel will "save" the show.  I'm one of those people who has moved from the "hate her" to the "don't mind her" category, but I just don't think she has the pull that a lot of people think she does.

On the other hand, she does introduce a dynamic which *might* shake up the Nick/Adalind situation enough to entice some viewers to stay or even come back.  Or the effing giant rat may just turn everyone off.  

Sadly, I don't think that the reintroduction of Trubel is enough.  Her rabid fan base, while vocal, is not really that big and the are worse problems on this show right now.

ETA: Or this thought...the real test will be 507 on Jan 22.  There will have been about a 6 week break and we'll see if viewers still care after time away from the show, especially if Grimm does something really stupid and doesn't even let Monroe hang a single Christmas light.

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 2

Why are we talking about Trubel? I don't think she was ever that important for the ratings. While she technically had an 11 episode arc between season 3 and the start of season 4, the writers completely botched it by giving her absolutely nothing to do in season 4 while they focused on boring powerless Nick and drama with Juliette. I vastly prefer season 3 Trubel.

Edited by icewolf

Why are we talking about Trubel? I don't think she was ever that important for the ratings. While she technically had an 11 episode arc between season 3 and the start of season 4, the writers completely butched it by giving her absolutely nothing to do in season 4 while they focused on boring powerless Nick and drama with Juliette. I vastly prefer season 3 Trubel.

I brought it up because a common refrain I see, especially on SpoilerTV, is that we shouldn't worry about the ratings because Trubel is coming.  Personally, I don't buy that.  If they are looking for a secondary character to save the show, the only one that might be able to do that is Monroe.  Trubel just isn't really a force.

I do think that the next 3 (maybe 4) episodes, though, will pretty much decide the fate of this series.

• Love 1

I brought it up because a common refrain I see, especially on SpoilerTV, is that we shouldn't worry about the ratings because Trubel is coming.  Personally, I don't buy that.  If they are looking for a secondary character to save the show, the only one that might be able to do that is Monroe.  Trubel just isn't really a force.

I do think that the next 3 (maybe 4) episodes, though, will pretty much decide the fate of this series.

Man, I think that this show has gone down hill pretty fast, but part of me does want to believe that a character like Therese could save the show. If not for the next two seasons, but maybe for this season alone. As far as I can tell, she is a Grimm, and she isn't really living with Adalind (looks like she will just crash as Nick's place till she can get on her feet), and she had enough sense and nerve to kill Juliette. In other words, I am holding out hope that she can be the character that can do the things Nick can't do because of his new angsty angsts. 

I only like Rosalie, Kelly and Elisabeth.   I even liked Katherine because the actress used to be on OLTL way back in the day.

Trubel was way too much like Buffy's retcon little sister, and her annoying backside.

Juliette just grated on my nerves and should have been seen a few times a year.

Adalind worked best as a bad guy schemer who came in and out story wise, but was never in all 22 episodes each year.

Trubel can kick rocks and get off of my TV screen, pronto.  If NBC wants a Grimm spinoff with the actress, then do it with one or two episodes before the break and get on with it.  

Grimm needs a big bang that will have folks talking and bring back some viewers.  Let there be an end with the key nonsense, kill off Diana and Kelly Jr., and let Nik be single for a long time.  Juliette stays dead, dead, dead.  Adalind eventually catches a bullet before May sweeps.

The only way Theresa saves the show is she takes one look at the "happy families" game between Nick and Adalind and she slaps Nick in the face and says "SNap out of it!"   He does, looks at what his life has become and offs Adalind.   Oh and Theresa also says "while I was missing, I found what they did with Juliette's body, she's been decently buried in a secret location so she can't be revived through some spell that works only with made hexenbeists."   

• Love 1

Lord of The Dead Juliette, let's just toss her dead behind into some lava and call it a day!  Then we can push Trubel, Adalind, Diana and Kelly Jr. off the same rock into the lava which will lower my blood pressure.

I need eye candy and sexy men!  Funny Bud.  Loyal and true friends Monroe and Rosalie.  Nik to pull his head out of his backside and be the Grimm he was born to be.   Renard back to being a badass and a boss!  Wu and Hank to get love interests with no baby rabies.

The only way Theresa saves the show is she takes one look at the "happy families" game between Nick and Adalind and she slaps Nick in the face and says "SNap out of it!"   He does, looks at what his life has become and offs Adalind.  

I will admit that this is my fantasy for this show.....